Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    I saw a maroon one yesterday on the Fairfax County Parkway - right in front of me. Right rear bumper (on the outside wrap around area) significantly pushed in. No other damage apparent anywhere on the vehicle. That's like a 60,000 dollar (I'm guessing) SUV. Guess they have the design flaw too.

"Unfortunately these things do happen but the bumper should absorb the impact."

Yours apparently did.
  • pjksrpjksr Member Posts: 111
    An Oddyssey owner down our road had a "dent" a few weeks ago too...

If the bumper did not dent inward, the bumper mounts would shift instead. Or, as I found in my late Ford Aerostar, which was hit when parked, the "tougher" bumper could crack, and the whole bumper would require replacement.

These bumper designs are not bad.
  • duckshooterduckshooter Member Posts: 156
    Just reposting what davedave said earlier... this doesn't look too hard and I'd definitely try it if I was facing a $900 shop bill:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #2284 of 2289 bumpers... by davedave1 Dec 30, 2002 (03:04 pm)
    my 2k sienna le was also the victim of my backing into a concrete column (luckily not another car) crunching the drivers side rear bumper, dinging the metal below the tail light and destroying the outboard lens.
    The bumper has a 2 inch cut in it from the steel support underneath;
    With some patience you can take the cover off (i did it in about 15 minutes). It is held on by a bunch of plactic fasteners that are reusable (push the center of each fastener in about 1/4 inch to release the fastener, pry out the fastener from the edge; install: reset the center to be 1/4 inch ABOVE the surface of the fastener, press fastener into the mounting hole, then tap the center flush to attach the fastener), and 4 10mm bolts ( two under the lift gate, and one under each rear wheel well - use a 12" extention to get to these under the back edge of the wheelwell liner)
    I popped it off, and in a soft grassy area to avoid scratches, stepped onto it from the inside and popped it out) Reinstallation was easy.
    The cut in the plastic and some scratches are still there; just got a bumper sticker.
    good luck
  • FATlittleFATlittle Member Posts: 6
    The spark plug in the 2003 that I have has a wierd type of spark plug called "Iridium spark plug". Since, I've just bought this 2 weeks ago and have put 1569 miles on it. Should I replace it with Bosch Platinum 4 to avoid damaging the engine later down the road by the Toyota manufacture's spark plug????

Fatlittle
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Let me get this straight... you want to put in a non-Toyota part in hopes of avoiding warranty claim issues? You want to do this as a result of reading two posts in a bulletin board when nobody has asked if the plugs in question were the OEM or aftermarket? That is a mistake.
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    My undocumented analysis is that I see a much higher percentage of Siennas on the road with pushed in rear corner bumpers than any other vehicle. Am I alone in this observation?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I haven't noticed, but I guess I'll start checking out corners now. This will be like trying to get the Gilligan's Island theme song out of my head - every time I see a van I'll have to eyeball the bumbers :-)

Steve, Host
  • tinker3tinker3 Member Posts: 8
    My ding came as I backed into a concrete post..didn't realize I hit it until the rear outboard tail light lens shattered. Put a small ding in sheet metal above the caved in bumper. I replaced the lens (80.00), body shop fixed the sheet metal (200.00), and I popped out the caved in bumper by heating with a hair dryer (careful here) and a nice hot sunny day (0.00). I used some very fine sandpaper and water to smooth out the scratches in the bumper..have to look closly to see any marks (0.00) I just have to be a LOT more careful backing up. Oh yea..my sienna is a 2001 LE...just turned 25K miles and NO problems. Best vehicle since my '83 Camry.
  • lsaclsac Member Posts: 22
    It was easy. I did it to my front and rear bumpers. Mine is LE, so no paint at all. For rear bumper, nothing needs to be removed. Just take a house stud. Stick it to the back of the dimple and keep pushing it out. A heat gun might help the job. For front bumper, side lamp must be removed to get to the back of dimple.
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    iridium plugs are better than platinum. they last even longer than platinum. so don't replace them with platinum!
  • bomangamibomangami Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know whether Toyota has tweaked, refined, or fixed the potential for Sludge disaster in the 2003 version? Thanks...
  • payrewpayrew Member Posts: 3
    our Sienna 2001, with 18k miles , went for state
    insepection - have failed the tire inspection as
    the front tires rotated to the back - had worn
    out central treads. i put in new tires.
    dealer told me that since its front wheel drive
    they wear out faster. i have rotated tires earlier.

either bad quality tires or something with seinna
    front tires design.
  • notcajunenuf4unotcajunenuf4u Member Posts: 6
    Wondering if anyone else has had this problem...

Just got a new 2003 Sienna. The sun visor, when pulled down and pushed against the driver's side window (protecting my eyes from the sun coming in from the left), will swing out and hit me in the head during right turns. It doesn't stay in place.

Has anyone else had a problem with this?
    My visor is nice and firm, and doesn't move. Not sure if you can adjust it--can you? 2002 LE.
    Doesn't appear that I can adjust it. And, a correction, it's the left turns which causes the visor to swing out.

It happens on the passenger side as well (but it takes a pretty hard right turn for that one).

But, I don't see how it can be adjusted. Do you think the service department would address this? It's really a pain, getting hit in the head every left turn (while the visor is against the side window).
    The loose visor should be a "fit and finish" issue that your dealer should be happy to fix for free. Yours is a newish one right?

Steve, Host
    Yes. Just bought it on Saturday.

What's "fit and finish" mean?
    Usually there's a "fit and finish" warranty on new cars (often ~12,000 miles/one year). It's intended to cover niggling little defects like your visor, or alignments, for example. Stuff that the factory (or dealer prep) missed that affects how parts fit, etc.

Steve, Host
  • lfieselmanlfieselman Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone else experience squeaking brakes that sound like you need to replace them on their 2001 Sienna minivan? My van is 20 months old and at every braking opportunity, i.e. stoplights and traffic, the brakes squeak, squeal, and it sounds like I need to replace them - the dealer tells me I have 85% of the life left and there's nothing they can do.
  • pn6pn6 Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone been concerned about the inadaquate illumination the back up lights provide? The taillight assembly for the backup lights is very small, and the problem compounds with the privacy glass. We find it very hard to back up unless there are other sources of light.
    The dealer insists the b/u lights are to advise those behind us that we are backing up, not to light the area.
  • kkeiperkkeiper Member Posts: 2
    I to have a problem with brake noise coming from rear brakes.I disassembled the rear drums to find there was plenty of shoe left.The inside of drum was soomoth with no wear and there was plenty of brake dust.Everything was working properly and I cleaned the drum and shoes with spray brake cleaner and reassembled them.The noise went away for about a month and now is back.I think there is something between the brake shoe material and the metal in the drums that cause the noise not the build up of the brake dust in the drums.Therefore I was thinking of replaceing the shoes and drums with some outher make like bednix brand and not use toyota oringal parts and see what happens.A lot of people seem to have a noise problem with there brakes and do not have a answer.Anybodey have any ideals?
    No brake noise on my 2002 Sienna...20,000 miles.
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    Usually back up lights provide some type of light to assist in the process; in addition to letting others know you are backing up. The '98-'00 Sienna provides next to nothing in this regard.
    Further proof that nothing is perfect in this world. There are so many points to consider in any purchase. There are give and takes with everything. When making comparisons between competitors in deciding what to buy, it comes down to priorities. The problem is when you do purchase something but then discover a negative that you were unaware of before the purchase.
  • sienna147sienna147 Member Posts: 2
    In my case, the service writer and service manager agree the visors are too loose. New parts are also too loose. The 800 number says they never heard of the problem. SOLUTION=apply dark film to the upper part of side windows and be glad you don't have real problems.
  • innovations2innovations2 Member Posts: 22
    My light bulb went out on my 2001 Sienna's driver side sun visor. I mentioned it to Toyota when I was in for an oil change and they replaced the entire visor instead of changing the bulb, since they said it was still under warranty. ..anyway, the new visor is the same as the old and is also loose and does not hold in place. Although it doesn't really bother me, it sounds like it's probably not anything that has been corrected.
  • thewolverinethewolverine Member Posts: 111
    In the past this one has been much discussed on this board. The general consensus I saw was brake dust. I believe putting aftermarket pads in solved this problem for others. The same is true for the high-pitched whine some of the alternators make.
  • thewolverinethewolverine Member Posts: 111
    Have you tried brighter after-market lights?

They are available and replacement is simple and detailed in the Owners manual.
    the only way to lit up the rear end at night when backing up is to install one fog light hooked up to your existing back-up light. you can also buy aftermarket rectangular back-up lights and again hook it up to your existing back-up light.

my rear windows have 5% limo tint and hard to see when someone else drives my van. for me, i'm used to having tint so no big issue for me. when you can't see, roll down your window and stick your head out!
  • mwenglermwengler Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Toyota Sienna XLE started squeaking its rear brakes as I came to a stop IMMEDIATELY after the dealer did warranty work on a pulsing problem in the back brakes.

Toyota Carlsbad (San Diego County) treated us like we were a cross between a turd and an idiot as we tried to get this problem "fixed" under our warranty. They would take our car in, and either do nothing at all, or look at the brakes and tell us there was nothing wrong with them. I had one guy in service tell me it was normal for brakes to squeak. I asked him if he thought I had never owned another car.

At one point they tried to charge us a service visit fee because they were tired of us trying to get this problem resolved under warranty. We were actually renting minivans in order to be able to leave our Sienna for the day at the dealership.

Finally after close to two years of attempting to resolve this, somebody at Toyota Carlsbad authorized having the rear drums turned. I don't believe they replaced the shoes when they did this but they might have. The squeak actually went away for about 2 months!

I will NEVER buy another Toyota. The problem isn't so much that there was a problem, but the way they treated the problem. As any of you who has ever owned a car OTHER than a Sienna, it is possible to build back brakes on brand new cars that don't squeak. This means that Toyota could 1) fix the problem so it doesn't occur on new Siennas (I believe I have read on this group of it occurring on 1999, 2000, and 2001 Siennas) 2) build a replacement part that eliminates the problem and install it under warranty for those people who complain. But instead they dealt with the problem in the great tradition of the worst stories you have ever heard of "the mechanics shrug" reaction to a real problem.

I have a Chevy Tahoe now. The brakes are the strong SILENT type.
  • toocajun4utoocajun4u Member Posts: 26
    I agree that the rear drums should have been re-engineered years ago. But in truth, the noise is only an annoyance, not a safety issue. No need to rant about spending $$$$$ on a vehicle that squeaks - I get that from my wife pretty frequently. 5 minutes to remove and clean each drum should get you 2 or 3 months down the road. A good service department _might_ even be willing to take care of that for you during the regular tire rotation...although I have yet to ask, since I do it myself when I need time out of the house. ;-)

I also own a Chevy (Lumina LTZ, not a Tahoe). The brakes are indeed strong and silent - and the rotors warp if I even THINK about braking hard. I have honestly lost count of how many times I've had the rotors turned or replaced on that car. I got the turd/idiot treatment from 2 GM service departments before finding one that treats the customer with respect...but the brake, transmission and electrical problems continue unabated. It may very well be my last Chevy ever, although I know better than to state that absolutely... :-)

It's all perspective and perception - and the dealership you frequent (by choice or necessity) has a huge impact on your P&P...

I'll step down now...someone else can use the soapbox for a while. ;-)

Larry R
    2002 Sienna XLE
  • jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    Good response, toocajun4u. Funny thing, there used to be another guy on the board here a while ago that had a Tahoe too. Could it be that owners of those trucks tend to have an propensity to bash Siennas??? Naaa!

As for the brake squeak, my dealer turned the drums and scuffed the surface of the shoes. It's just barely starting to return now, about 4 months and 20,000 KM (12,000 mi)later. Some here have gone to aftermarket shops to have their shoes replaced. If it bugs you that much, try that.

BTW, the earlier poster seems to have more of a dealership issue than a Sienna issue. My local dealer treats me like a customer, even supplying Laura Secord loli-pops, free coffee and a shuttle ride to work. I actually look forward to my regular Oil/Filter change visits.
  • mojakomojako Member Posts: 7
    I have '03 Symphony with only 3426 miles. I notice that the brakes begin to squeak too everytime I make a halt. For me,this is annoying. But since I love the van, I'm beginning to live with them. (I just don't know for how long...)
  • yamanyaman Member Posts: 113
    well we have had our xle for close to 3 years and the brakes squeak like the devil.Nonetheless the dealer says they are fine so we have just gotten used to it.
  • giaphongchunggiaphongchung Member Posts: 2
    I bought new 2003 Sienna on December 02. I am very happy with the van. I want to make sure my van's noise is normal or not. It appears a very light & thin sound (like a jet plane's noise or firework's noise before flowing off) when the speed gratually goes down from 75-80 mph, this sound also slowly goes off. When I accelerate the engine, not thing happens. The sound is very consistent and a friend of mine said that it is normal sound caused by transmission engine. Have you also experienced this?
  • dbrtmdbrtm Member Posts: 1
    HELP! We have experienced problems with both power doors on our 2001 Sienna. Per the information found here, I went to my local dealer and suggested they check the technical service bulletins related to this problem (they had already changed the door contact to no avail). Wonder of wonders, they replaced both door computers which were covered under my extended warranty. However, after I happily drove home, I decided to try out my new and improved doors only to discover that the driver's side door still insists that it is open when it is shut tight. My options are to listen to a raucous beeping sound while I drive or disengage the power door feature. Any suggestions as to what to do now that the computers have been replaced would be greatly appreciated. It seems that the service department responds better to a well informed owner!
  • toocajun4utoocajun4u Member Posts: 26
    giaphongchung, what you are describing may not be the transmission, but the alternator. I usually describe it as a high-pitched whine, nearly identical to what you will hear in a poorly installed car audio system. My 2002 was silent for the first month or so, then in the second month, I heard the alternator noise under exactly the conditions you describe. Since the fourth month or so, it is always present although sometimes the engine and road noise will mask it.

Unfortunately, I don't know if this is an issue that the service dept will take seriously. Much like the brake noise, it may be considered an annoyance rather than a safety or mechanical issue. I plan to bring it up at my next oil change, which should be in 2 or 3 weeks. I'll let you know what response I get...

Larry R
    2002 Sienna XLE
  • kw6kw6 Member Posts: 26
    My 2000 XLE made a loud springing noise this morning, which shook the van. I had just stopped at a stop sign and turned onto a road which was a little higher than the one I was on. It came from the driver's side rear tire area. Of course, it didn't do it when the tech drove it. Any ideas?
  • giaphongchunggiaphongchung Member Posts: 2
    Hi toocajun4u, thank you for your reply. You are absolutely correct. I should have said high-pitched whine noise. Please let me know what they explain you in this regard.
  • jrtannurajrtannura Member Posts: 18
    I was surprised to hear a 03 owner is dealing with this. I spent months on that issue when our 2000 was new. They finally replaced the alternator which I thought helped but then the transm. failed... so I'm not 100% convinced that the original problem was the alt. I would also tell you that I have owned everything from Celicas to LandCr. and have never heard that noise before. Ask the Dealer to have the Regional Tech. Rep. drive it and get his opinion. Good luck.
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    i have this on my 2000. I think its either the alternator or power steering but the dealership has repeatedly told me that its nothing. Other things have been fixed by the dealership but this thing seems to escape them. Infact i took it in twice. I have extended warranty and as long as it doesnt crap out on me on the highway i have learnt to live with it.
  • 32valveuser32valveuser Member Posts: 31
    I have been reading this board since 2000 and decided to join up. We have a 2001 Sienna LE with 26,000 mile on it. We bought the car new and love it. However, I am getting this valve tapping noise from under the hood. It happens when the engine is cold and the temperature outside is less than 45. When the car reaches it's shift point I hear the tapping (loud). Then after the car is warm no problem.

My question is:

" Does anyone else have this valve tap "
  • jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    I have the same sound. Been there since new. I find the transmission holds on to 2nd gear when the engine/drivetrain is cold until about 58Km/Hr and only then does it shift into 3rd. It bothers me a bit as on days like today (-15 C), I'd prefer the engine to not rev that fast when it's still cold. The clatter at that speed is quite pronounced. I also find accelerating just past 58 allows the transmission to shift into 3rd thereby allowing the revs to drop and the clatter to subside. Of course, once all is warmed it, it's quiet as a mouse. Next oil change I'll ask the dealer what's up. Mine is a 2001 also.
  • 32valveuser32valveuser Member Posts: 31
    Very interesting, I would be interested to learn what they say at your next oil change. Maybe you can post I will try to keep a ear out.
    my 1999 sienna is the same when cold, tranny will stay in 2nd until it reaches about 50kph. and then shift into 3rd but i dont have any valve clatter.

any automatic transmission is like this when cold - some worst than others. for manual tranmissions, it's also harder to shift when cold. so it's always good to warm up your car before driving off. it's also important that you let the tranny shift by itself when cold instead of flooring the gas and force it to shift!

as for the clatter, it takes a while for everything to be lubricated and this is why you get the clatter. this happens more with older cars or when temp. is really cold.

bottom line, warm up your car before driving off. drive gently and smoothly until your engine temp. reaches the normal operating temp.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    -Delayed shifting: This is a feature of electronic transmissions; I suppose it's done to help the engine warm up faster, reducing emissions. I don't much care for it either. It's got nothing to do with the transmission being cold and not wanting to shift, though.

-Valve clatter is normal in many engines -- if they have hydraulic lifters. Has nothing to do with temperature per se, but lifters pump up much faster when the oil is warm and thin. VWs and Subarus are known for that and it's not a problem... typically disappears in a few seconds to a minute or so.

AFAIK, Toyotas use solid lifters. Those aren't supposed to clatter, cold or hot. I'd at least talk it over with somebody competent and experienced (as opposed to a bunch of yahoos on the internet. myself included. no offense). Toyota engines are supposed to have their valve clearance checked periodically, though it's rare for any adjustment to be necessary. I remember a post by a "Master Diagnostic Tech" on the Toy usenet group who said of the Corolla 4cyl engine: Check valve clearance: Every 50k miles. Adjust: Never done one yet.
    I believe it... 4cyl Corolla 1.8l solid lifters 181k miles... I have all the records and NO mention of adjustment.

Sold it this week to buy a Sienna... I'm new here... Hi...

Anyway, good luck,
    -Mathias
    East Lansing, MI
    I notice the chatter only on cold days, when the engine is still cold, upon acceleration, near 2500+ rpm. It seems the chatter is less with cleaner oil vs. older oil...

It's interesting to note how little grunts and groans are noted by Sienna owners...due to the vehicle's quietness!
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    oh yes its got everything to do when the engine/transmission is cold. Its -22c outside and gear changes are delayed (time wise) because its takes more time to warm up. I wouldnt rev the engine or speed upto force it to change gears. Youre probably doing more damage that way.
    i also have a 87 camry with over 200k kms and when its warmed, one can hardly hear anything.
  • sharks5sharks5 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I ahve a 2001 XLE with the JBL premium sound and it ounds terrible. It sounds like there is too much bass, but I have already turned that way down. Does anybody else have the same problem?
    Thanks
  • cwsibleycwsibley Member Posts: 2
    mwengler, you mention a "pulsing problem in the back brakes" anyone else have a pulsing / low "thud thud thud" noise as you brake at slow speeds. Any pointers are appreciated so I can point the dealer in the right direction. I had it in last week for a brake inspection and they found nothing. Thanks,
    could this be your ABS? normally, when your ABS kicks in, you will hear this "thud-thud-thud" sound and a little bit of pulsing with the brake pedal.