Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    The engine should last well over 200K miles; you needn't worry about that. Things you may have to replace before 150K might include the wheel hub bearings, possibly the alternator and generator. The prices of these parts are cheap compared to a new car, though. BTW, don't get remanufactured parts; they don't last as long as the other type.

My '99 M has 88K, and I'll likely keep it another 5 years or so. Good luck w/your decision.
  • morselandmorseland Member Posts: 25
    Dear Bluesky,

Thanks for your response. I am definitely leaning toward keeping the car. I have a landscape business and drive trucks all day. Getting in and driving on a back road has always been enjoyable especially on a summer evening with the sunroof open. The car always has a special balance of handling and road feel and still drives great on the highway. Of course I'm not quite the king of the castle around here so I'll have to work on the wife. But I feel if I do maintain the vehicle properly the car has a lot of life left, unlike what some dealer salespeople may tell you.
         I still check out every other 300M that drives by and most other 300M owners I talk to still love their car.
  • funroadsfunroads Member Posts: 49
    The center dash speaker in my '01 w/ premium sound system is blown. Anyone have any advice? I'm a do-it-yourselfer and am looking for info on how to get at and replace this speaker.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I have about 70k on my 00M . In a year or two, I will buy a new car--possibly a 300C. But I may very well keep my 300M if it still looks and drives ok. The way it is holding up, I would expect to get at least 150k out of it. Just be sure to service the tranny and use synthetic oil in the engine with a good filter. I use synthetic now and change it at about 4-5K.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    why dont you try to return the battery and tell them you can't use it due to location of the battery. They may understand and give you a credit toward a maintenance free battery. It's also a good idea to make sure it has one of those little green eyes on it to show the condition of the battery.
  • dustinnewtondustinnewton Member Posts: 242
    Has anyone heard any reviews or know of anyone who has gotten the Kenne Bell treatment to the M's computer? Based on past reports on this board for the JetChip, I am steering clear of that bomb and have been eyeing the Kenne BEll solution for about half a year now. Kenne Bell is a VERY reputable high-performance company that has been around for a long time and they are in the business of making HP so I definitely trust the name. It adds 10 engine HP (8 to the wheel), but it all adds up. The combo of it and my Magnaflow exhaust system and K&N FIPK should be nice. I am also curious if anyone has had the intake manifold and ports polished.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    I'd try to get a hold of a factory service manual. That will help you alot more then anyone here could. Try ebay, or call the 800 # in the back of the owners manual. They should still be selling them. They aren't cheap, but worth it if your the "do it yourself" guy.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    My leased 2000 300M got great gas mileage. When I turned it in, I bought a 2003 M. My wife recently got a new (demonstrator) 300M to replace her 2001, which was totalled.

We have both noticed that the gas mileage has not been as good as the prior models (2000 & 2001). However, we have only 7,000 miles on each of the 2003's, so it may get a little better.

In checking the window stickers on the 2003 models. I noticed that they have a pollution index of .48. The 2004 has a pollution index of 1.00. The sticker indicates that the average of all cars is 1.02.

It seems as though Chrysler has been adjusting the engine or pollution control equipment from year to year, affecting the gas mileage. I couldn't find the 2000 and 2001 window stickers for our previous cars, but I would be willing to bet the pollution index is higher than the 2003, thereby yielding better gas mileage.

Nothing we can really do about it, but just another thing to check when buying a car you think you already know...
  • yositoyosito Member Posts: 55
    My brother is trying to find a new one, of course looking to get the best price, no matter where the dealer is located; my brother wants to import the car into Mexico, any help for him?
    Try carsdirect.com.
    Easy, I did voice my conern to the service mgr re/the battery. He stated that with this particular battery it should last its full life w/o checking the water. I was skeptical, but I asked if such a situation would affect the warranty and he said "no", so I let it go at that.
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    Do a search on the DC worldwide site, but if he wants to come to Canada there are several in the showrooms in my city here in Calgary Alberta. We have around 7 dealers here and if you have a problem accessing the dealer sites, then contact me here and I will e-mail you my postal code which will allow you access to local dealers. I do not have my 300M any more, as I now have a 300C. Good Luck!!
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Well, I survived the surprise showing of my new ride to the wife when she arrived at the airport after a couple of weeks in NE. After seeing the Vette her questions concerned getting rid of the 99 300M. No chance. Maybe I can get rid of her Eldo?... Now I am really courting death. lol. Anyway the new ride has been tinted, striped and photographed, and it should be ready for the Woodward Dream Cruise if I don't get any 300M'ers who are interested in a meet up near Detroit. Local Bob B. will assist me if there is interest. You needn't be a Club member to join us, just love the M with your heart and soul, and come see the greatest gathering of cars you will ever encounter. Check the WDC site out if you don't believe me. Anyway, any 300M'ers interested in a meet? Always the 3rd Saturday in August just north of Detroit.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    My 99 Intrepid went into limp mode and returned to normal operation after a off on of the ignition switch. Hard downshifting, by itself would return to the limp mode. Thanks to the 300M owners, I suspected one of the trans sensors, since the car is still covered by the extended warranty, with a deductable, I brought it in to the dealer and suggested I knew that it could be one of the sensors but suggested they check both. They ended up replacing both and the car runs like a dream again. Thanks again 300M'ers and Intrepid owners for bringing this up on these boards.
    That was just one funny title for a post. :>) But you may be counting your chickens prematurely; she might just be considering her options at this point, such as an "accidental" collision between you and her Eldo, possibly even slow death by nagging (the worst of all) --who knows? But on the serious side, congrats on your vette purchase. It's an incredible car; definitely best bang for the buck in the over 40K performance car category. Wish my savings weren't decimated by the stock market crash and I might even have one...
    Stickered for $49K. Out the door for under $39K, and I suspect that I did not get the "best" deal available, altho I am happy with what I paid. The deals are definitely out there as they clear the lot for the 05's, and now it is back to GM going 0/60 on the 04's. Oh, well.
  • alg528alg528 Member Posts: 18
    I know I've read several things on this board about the dashboard light show the 300M can put on, but I never thought it would happen to me. This morning, after 59,000+ miles, it did. What should I tell my dealer about in the way of a solution? Was there a TSB concerning this problem? Thanks for anyone's help on this.
    You might be better off to grin and bear it!

My wife and I have had 4 300M's and 2 of them have given us a light show (both interor and exterior, by the way). But it happened only once with each car. There were no detectable side effects from the show.

You know that your dealer already has his response in his computer waiting to print out on your work order -- "could not duplicate problem." LOL!
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    Car & Driver has pictures of (supposedly) upcoming coupe and convertible versions of the 300 in the August edition. I don't like the boxy look of the 300, but if the pictures are an accurate representation of the 2 future models, I just might be interested in trading my trusty M for a 300 coupe. Both new models bear a strong resemblance to the 300 convertible show car from a couple of years ago!
    I hope the report and pics are correct!

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,688
    Hello: My '99 M w/61K miles occassionally puts on a light show. I adjust the interior lightiing rheostat and that usually cures that incident. In the 5 years I've owned my M, I've probably "only" had a half dozen or so light shows.

My only other electrical gremlin has been somewhat recent, I call it the Fan Show! Suddenly, CC fan will kick up to full blast, shutting off CC does not stop the now nuclear powered fan. Luckily, the three times this has happened have been just shy of my destination, so once I "reboot" the car, all is well.

Went to a 4th BBQ, a freind of the evil wife's who had never seen my M before asked if I had just gotten a new car! 5 years of washing, waxing have kept it looking new....from a distance! A few wrinkles up close, unfortunately.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Big storm went thru here last nite, and at 12:50 a.m. my baby got hail damage big time sitting in the driveway. She was in the driveway because the new ride [Vette] is in the garage. The custom car cover I ordered for her had not arrived yet. Got about 15 hits each on the roof and hood and a few on the rear deck that I could see this morning. To the repair shop at 9:00 a.m. for an estimate and hopefully just a "pop-a-dent" appointment. I am hoping it won't total the car. Am I p.o'd?! She just won an award at last week's local car show here. Bummer. The dang custom cover has been on order for 3 weeks, but it looks like it will be too late to protect her. I am really bummed out. My 6-year anniversay with her is the 27th.
  • illini4illini4 Member Posts: 140
    I had similar hail damage to mine a couple years ago. Dent Wizard was 100% successful in removing every dent and USAA picked up the tab. Any car cover I've seen would be too thin to prevent hail damage.
    Well, the shop says about $1,100.00 if it goes to Paintless Dent Repair [PDR] guys and they are unsure if USAA is going to want to send the team back here to do it. Depends on how many others got hit. While I was at the shop State Farm referred 4 to them for a look-see. Won't know for a day or so whether it will be PDR or conventional repair. I agree on the cover, but I figure at least 40-50% of the little dings could have been stopped. Maybe I am too optimistic. Oh well, at least I have the Vette to drive when the M goes in the shop.
  • morselandmorseland Member Posts: 25
    Dear Bigmike,

Two weeks ago our neighborhood in Scituate, Ma. got hit with golf size hail I had never seen here before in my life. I was home at the time and got my new Dodge Magnum (three days old)in the garage before any bad damage but three dings on the car will cost $305 to repair. My 300M was outside at a body shop one mile away and got $450 worth of damage. Some cars in my neighborhood were totaled. There was a tornado warning in Marshfield, the town just south of us.
          I haven't run that fast since high school to get the new car in the garage since the hail started small and just became larger and larger. My local area looked like a hurricane hit for the fourth of July weekend.

They have had quite a few national companies here doing work and the local body shops are swamped. Damage was alot worse than what their computer models predicted.
    Geez--I was in Danvers/Swampscott area from 19-28 Jun, glad I missed that. My daughter [who used to live in Scituate near the water] didn't mention any hail storms recently, so maybe the northshore did not get hit. We had a storm here 2 years ago that got up to tennis ball size hail. My office at Fort Knox paid out almost a $1M for damage to soldiers cars that got hit. I guess I am just glad the damage wasn't greater. Just wish with all the computers, satelites, and projection tools that they could give better predictions and warnings.
  • alcatrazt2alcatrazt2 Member Posts: 70
    Sorry to hear about that sad news...it really hurts. I thought the few scratches (intentional) on my 02 Pro-AM 300M were bad, but I can't imagine having hail damage it to the point of totaling the car...Well, hope it all works out well, and it doesn't cost you a fortune to repair it, even though you would probably spend a great amount to fix something you truly love...:(
    Altho I don't have a lot, money would almost be no object for repairing my baby. But fortunately, my Comprehensive deductible is only $200, so all I need to worry about down the road is the insurance company jacking up my rates because of a claim, and the wife urging me to sell her--I mean the car not the wife. lol Supposedly a team of PDR guys arrive at the body shop today, and I dropped her off last nite--the car not the wife--so they can start working on her once they get set up. This all forces me to drive the Vette to work. I can deal with it.
    Your insurance shouldn't go up for a comprehensive claim. If they raise your rates I have read that's against the law.
    Hey everyone...Best of luck to you Mike...Hope the car gets all the goodies done to it as soon as possible. As of my 300M, I was considering getting a radar detector. Does anyone have any suggestions? It's not like I race the thing, I just want it to detect cops etc., less than a hundred bucks, anyone have any good suggestions? Plus, will I have to plug it into my on dash cigarette lighter outlet (next to the shifter). I've never used it, all it is is an AMP Nob, does the thing come out? Thanks. Take care.
    Most everyone uses the Passport 8500 or the Valentine 1. I have the V1. It's expensive though at $400. I heard some of the cheaper Bell units work ok. I had mine hardwored in the M when I had it. Now it's hardwired in my Acura.
  • silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    After about a year I am finally detecting some rotor warp in the aftermarket Brembo PHP front rotors (Unless it is in the rear stock rotors).

I will probably have them turned when it gets more noticeable. Both front and back brakes have a lot of miles left in them. My pads were replaced by Sears a couple of years ago.

Silver
    Got my M back yesterday p.m. from the PARS people who do the paintless dent repairs, and they did a spectacular job on the hail damage. I cannot even tell she took any hits at all. They even did a couple of door dings as well. I was apprehensive when I stopped by the shop last Friday to pick up my sunglasses and the headliner was completely down and on the seats, but it looks perfect again now. She passed 70K miles this week, and it will be my sixth anniversary with her on the 27th. I will be looking ahead to new shocks in another 5K miles and see if she needs them. While she was in the shop I took the Vette to the Corvette Museum on Sunday, just for a little exercise, since it is only 75 miles away and right off I-65. Clear blue sky, no traffic. Averaged a little over 28 mpg at about 73 mph. Probably the closest feeling I will ever get to flying an F-18. Man is it responsive and powerful. Handles a lot different than the M, not better necessarily, but different. Course the acceleration is a different issue. True love is never having to be second off a light. lol Driving it has actually made me slow down a little for fear of tickets. Who'd a thunk it?
  • pjyoungpjyoung Member Posts: 885
    is outweighed by practicality. I loved my 99 M. But in the past 6 months I have replaced the transmission, shift cable, and now the evaporator core and compressor needs to be replaced. If I pay that, then that old "resale" bugaboo raises it's ugly head - I will have spent more in 6 months than I could sell it for. I tried to remain pretty objective about it, I put up with window motors and rocking seats and light shows...I never had the shimmy, and the car looked and drove great. But I really think a $30k car should be able to go five years without so many costly repairs in under 5 years. My advice to anyone thinking of any Chryslers - lease one. Or at the very least, get the extended warranty. I had hoped to keep this car long enough to give it to my daughter, but I'm afraid that by the time she's driving (6 years), I could have paid for her college education with the repairs.
    So sorry to hear about your issues. Especially as I think our Ms are about the same age and mileage. I've thoroughly enjoyed my M, and just spent $$$ on the 60k service, but I kind of live in fear of things happening to mine that have unfortunately happened to yours. I'm going to keep it at least through the end of the year, hopefully without incident.

The bright side as far as potential Chrysler buyers is that although I've had two window motors replaced and one tranny module (udner warranty, first model year issues I believe), no other costs to speak of. Occasional "light shows" all solved by fiddling with the rheostat. So at this point I can give an OK report as far as reliability.

Good luck PJ, keep us posted...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Sorry to hear your '99 hasn't held up!

How many miles does it have on it? I always feel you should get 150,000 miles out of a car before serious (non-maintenance type) costs start mounting up. I got 230,000 out of my '85 Buick Le Sabre and 193,000 out of my '89 Chevy Caprice.

I leased my '98 Intrepid because it was a first year model and I didn't want to take the risk. It turned out perfect over the 3 year lease. I leased my 2000 300M and it had a major (I think) computer problem less than 2 weeks before turn-in. I don't know the cost because it was under warranty. Because I was happy with the leased 300M prior to the computer failure, I purchased a replacement before the computer problem occurred.

The only other problem I had was with my wife's 2001 300M, which she totalled by bottoming out and piercing the oil pan which quickly destroyed the engine @ 36,800 miles. This was an insurance claim and probably not a fault of the car.

We now have 2 2003 300M's. Both cars have presented no problems, but it is early yet. I plan to keep at least one of them for several years..I guess time will tell! In the meantime, there isn't another car I would rather drive (except maybe the Crossfire I share with my wife...).
  • muskateer3muskateer3 Member Posts: 103
    Does anyone know if the radio in the 2002 with sirius can be retrofitted to the 2000?
    Hello: I have a few n00b questions regarding my 2002 300M, well, I'm just asking these questions to see if what I'm doing is really safe.
    Question #1: I was playing around with some guy on the street, at a red light, put it on N, and was reving, letting go, reving, letting go...so he could hear by baby's engine (Never went above 3500 R.P.M.) Is this bad?
    Question #2: Going high R.P.M. on AutoStick letting go, pushing it again, letting go, with out changing gears. (I was on first, took the car up to 4000 R.P.M., let go, punched it, the car jiggled and "jumped" but remained on 1st)
    Anyways, making things short, can reving the car on neutral or on autostick, letting go, and reving it high again mess it up?
    Thanks.
    "Anyways, making things short, can reving the car on neutral or on autostick, letting go, and reving it high again mess it up?"

In short no. The car has a rev limiter so you can't rev it past like 5K or something like that while in N or P. The car also will not let you rev past redline in any gear or in Auto Stick. Reving like you have done will not cause any harm. Might kill your gas mileage but that would be all.
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    It's getting lonesome here!

My M just clocked over to 92000 miles this week.
    Still going strong (knock wood) and I still love it. No new cars in sight that I like as well (at least among those I might be able to afford...the new BMW M5 looks interesting, but $90K is a little out of my range!)
    I'm retiring in January, so I may be driving my 300M for the rest of my life!

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    Just not much to report. Your M is about 1/3 more miles than my '99. I, too, still very much enjoy my M. Don't need a new car, but I just really want one. End of the year at the earliest, no idea which one.

I'm debating buying a rear-wheel drive something, never had one before. As a life time skier, FWD has served me well. But, some cool RWD out there. But, can I put up with snow tire changeover? We'll see.

Less than (unfortunately! Summer's too short here in Boston...) 4 months to the '05 auto show. The shopping shall begin then.

Congrats on the retirement, I'm sure it's well earned and hope it will be comfortable. I'm a long way from retiring...

"I'm retiring in January, so I may be driving my 300M for the rest of my life!"

May you be the first to reach 1,000,000 miles on your 300M...happy retirement -- wish I could join you!
    Lynn congrats on coming retirement. I figure I'll die in my chair at work, on the R-ball court, or in my M/Vette somewhere. Couldn't handle being at home for long stretches. Everytime I take a long leave I get bored polishing the M, or playing golf and just have trouble adjusting to no time constraints. But for those who can do, that is great. Now you will have plenty of time to make it to the 2005 Dream Cruise and maybe the Brampton Plant tour if we can get it next year.
    As I was pulling in to a tight parking space next to a pillar with metal "skid plates" (protecting pipes) at work, I scraped my M against one of the skid plates!!! I was watching the passenger side outside mirror to ensure I didn't snap it off and gauge distance from car to pillar, but the widest part of the passenger side doors was nailed by the skid plate. NUTS!

Some of the mess was superficial, a little water and a cotton towel I had in the trunk took a lot of it off. But that exposed many apparently deep scratches. Maybe I'll try compounding tonight.

Why do bad things happen to good people!!!

I had god luck with the GL-27 [or some title like that] stuff at Walmart that used to be advertised on TV. It really did clean up a nasty door ding scratched surface. Course then I got hit with hail and the actual dent from the ding as well as all the others got taken out anyway.
    My wife and I have had 4 300M's (a 2000, a 2001 and currently 2 2003's).

It has now become evident that the miles per gallon has dropped over these model years. The 2000 had the best, the 2001 was slightly lower and the 2003's are both significantly lower than the 2000 or the 2001. The irony of this is that the 2000 had EPA figures of 18 and 26, while the rest had 18 and 27! And the 2000 had 253 HP compared to 250 for the rest.

I noticed that the smog index for at least one of our 2003's was .48. I believe the 2001 was close to .90, which is where the new 3.5L 300's are. The average index for new vehicles is .50.

It appears DC was forced to reduce its smog index over the 300M years, resulting in poorer gas mileage. But how were they able to increase and maintain their EPA of 27 highway?

Maybe all the automakers play these tricks, but I am one consumer who is not amused...it almost seems fraudulent when you consider the millions of $ in penalties they didn't have to pay for being below the government mandated gas mileage for their fleet.

I wonder if they will play the same game with the new 300 -- i.e. start with the high smog index, reduce it (with pressure from the EPA) for the 3.5L from .90 to .50 (or so) and continue to claim the EPA mileage they originally had.

If this pattern holds true, the lesson is don't buy the 3rd year (or beyond) of a new model if you are concerned about gas mileage!

Sorry for the long post...just venting my frustrations on being decieved on gas mileage expectations :)
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Don't feel bad. I feel like I've been deceived by all the folks here that post getting over 25MPG on the highway. The best I've gotten on the highway was about 23MPG. I'm lucky to break 19 in the city. I usually average about 21 on the highway. Ticks me off.

I've read several Canadian reviews that claim over 30MPG on the highway. Did the Canadians get a better engine than the U.S. bound Ms? 'Cause I'm not buyin' it!

Still love the car, though.
    My '99 easily gets 25+mpg at 70mph. In mixed, commuting driving every week I'm getting between 20 and 22mpg.

YMMV.

I don't think you were deceived by the posters here that claim 25+ MPG on the highway. I got about 26.5 on long runs @ 75 mph on cruise control in my 2000 300M. The earlier models got better gas mileage. I haven't had a chance to take my 2003 on this same long run, but from my other experiences with the car, I feel I would be lucky to get 23.5, and these are ideal highway conditions.

My wife would average about 20.6 MPG on her daily commute into L.A. in her 2001 M. She has averaged 19.6 in 2 months in her 2003M for the same commute. When, on occasion, she used my 2000 M, she averaged about 21.2 MPG. So it seems like a 10% decrease in MPG between 2000 and 2003.

I still love my car, too. I just feel DC is playing games with the EPA and the government to maximize their MPG ratings (fraudulently, in my opinion) and minimize their fleet penalties for MPG requirements. I resent buying 10% more for gas as a result of this deception.
    In the first weeks after I got my 99M I wrote DC and made a few suggestions. One was to tweak the engine a bit so it got better gas mileage. I was ticked at getting about 20mpg around town and only about 25mpg at highway speeds, especially when my wife's 96 Aurora got 27 highway [and later we found that her 00 Eldo did 29 mpg on a trip only 4K miles into our ownership]. DC never even responded to my letter back then. Now I got the 04 Vette, again stroking 8, and it get 28.8 out the showroom door on the 45 mile drive home. Course the Vette is supposed to get mid or hi test but the Eldo was on regular. I guess DC just has not had much interest in better mileage until they tried the cylinder shutdown system on the 300C, but even so its not getting close to what my new Vette is. And I pray that they got a better handle on the technology than Caddy did when it tried that shutdown system some years back.
  • carguydougcarguydoug Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my blue 2004 300M that has 12,300 miles. So far I love it. I drove it over 300 miles one day, and averaged 25.2 MPG at 75 MPH. I was getting 27 MPG with my 95 Aurora, but it needed too many repairs to keep driving it. The 300M sure drives nicely and is comfortable!