Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

1501502503504505507»

Comments

• rhesseltinerhesseltine Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I was able to buy a 2004 300M Special for cheap. When I purchased the car, up front the seller told me that she left the moon roof open and it rained, most likely soaking the whole console. When you drive it, you get about 2 miles and the dash goes blank, no instruments, no lights inside, no radio, no control on the moon roof. All the fuses look brand new, could this be a ECM problem? What other things could I look at for possible problem?
  • coolrunningcoolrunning Member Posts: 117
    Water does some terrible things to electronics. It is very likely that the car was started when it was water logged, and something shorted out. The damage was done by then, even after it all dried out. Don't hesitate to take the car in for expert service. The chances of you discovering the exact module or problem are fairly remote. My 2003 300M Special had a similar incident with a spilled drink on the console. Fortunately, it happened in the driveway with the car turned off. The shifter opening on the console was like a floor drain when the styrofoam cup collapsed when I picked it up from the cup holder. I ended up removing the console cover plate and used a blow dryer for about two hours to dry up the water. I left the plate off for about 24 hours before starting the car, and nothing bad happened. From what I understand, there are a lot of gadgets in the console and dash that operate on milivolts DC. Anytime water invades a circuit, higher voltage can jump across contacts causing damage to the ultra low voltage devices. What is really cool is that the dealership has a plug-in computer that runs diagnostics on the whole electrical system. The printout tells the technician exactly what is wrong and what needs to be replaced. I highly recommend taking it to the dealership. You may not like spending the cash, but it is well worth it. The problem will be accurately identified and repaired in one try, and you can start enjoying this magnificent car. Obviously, the previous owner chose to simply abandon the vehicle by selling it. You saved a lot on the purchase, but may need to invest a little more in this one time repair. ;)
  • saintb62saintb62 Member Posts: 1
    Need help with this one. Regardless which way I signal, left or right, the intermittent dashboard light and the outside signal light works 2 or 3 times, then stops. I checked the light bulbs and are OK. I have to turn the signal lever back to neutral and then on again for it to blink once or twice then nothing again.
  • cobra2020cobra2020 Member Posts: 1
    Did you find what the problem was? I'm having the same issue?
  • wgranvillewgranville Member Posts: 2
    Yes. My problem was that the battery cables were rusted. I would recommend checking these things (in this order): jump cables and terminals,battery cables and terminals, battery voltage/crank amp check, starter fuses and the actual starter. Hopefully it's just rusty battery terminals!!
  • jerseymike68jerseymike68 Member Posts: 5
    I have the same magnaflow too and love it, you can usually get a used one on ebay or cragislist. I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. [URL=http://magnaflow.allexhaust.com/product.php?productid=7259?odc1l=16906]Magn- aflow 16906[/URL]. Also some of the forum sponsors usually have a sale going on. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.
  • drjrcharnitskidrjrcharnitski Member Posts: 2
    I JUST BOUGHT A 1999 300M WITH 142,000 MILES ON IT. THE PREVIOUS OWNER BOUGHT IT WITH 104,000 ON IT AND HAS DONE NOTHING BUT CHANGE OIL AND BATTERIES (TWICE).

I WANTO GET AT LEAST 50,000 MORE MILES ON THE CAR. WHAT SHOULD I DO AS FAR AS MAJOR MAINTANENCE AT THIS POINT TO MAKE IT LAST?
  • luisimprluisimpr Member Posts: 5
    Tranny fluid and filter. Differential fluid, use atf4. My 99 300m has 174,000 and runs smooth.
  • linsprolinspro Member Posts: 3
    The floor on the drivers side was soaked under the mat when i got in today. There are no leaks in the car.It seems like water,no fluid of any kind.Can someone tell me what this is?
  • drjrcharnitskidrjrcharnitski Member Posts: 2
    THE 1999 300M THAT I JUST BOUGHT HAS 142,000+ MILES ON IT AND THE PREVIOUS OWNER DID NOTHING BUT CHANGE OIL AND BATTERIES. SHOULD I IMMEDIATEDLY CHANGE THE TIMING BELT, WATER PUMP AND SPARK PLUGS?

ALSO, I WOULD LIKE TO CONNECT WITH OTHER 300M OWNERS IN GEORGIA. MY EMAIL IS holistichealthalt@yahoo.com

THANKS/DR. JIM
  • 808josh808josh Member Posts: 2
    went camping not to long ago and my 99 300m was great, parked it, when we decided its time to go, it didnt want to start, it kicks over like it wants to start, but nothing, got it home and checked the code and it seemed to be the cam and crank sensor so we changed those YAY! still doing the same problem and still giving us the same code. any ideas on what it could be now? maybe have to reset the computer? HELP!!
  • naatz1naatz1 Member Posts: 188
    Do a search on this forum for "cam sensor". I have had mine replaced twice on my 2004 300M at both around 35k and this past spring at about 56k miles.
    However it never prevented the car from starting, just had the "check engine" light on. And it is really the only major thing that ever went wrong with the car's engine since we bought it new just shy 6 years ago. Your mechanic should know about resetting the computer, but again your problem sounds different. Good luck.
  • coolrunningcoolrunning Member Posts: 117
    If you are skilled enough to change out both the crank and cam sensors, you should be able to check the wiring to them for continuity. Mine had a cracked wire hidden by insulation on the harness. A quick fix with a soldering iron and some shrink tubing and the problem was solved. ;)
  • novice54novice54 Member Posts: 1
    I replaced the solenoid. The car occasionally goes back into limp mode (code 1776) still shows up. What now?
  • at0micburnat0micburn Member Posts: 3
    im trying to change the battery out i got the fender panel removed but now i have to remove the air filter to get to the battery hold down bracket but there is one piece that i cant seem to figure out how to remove.so if someone can email detailed instructions on removing the air filter it would help a lot thanks in advance
  • gmidkiffgmidkiff Member Posts: 3
    I have a 300m that I bought new and it has only 12,800 miles on it. Everything is original except the battery. It is red, and in showroom condition. How do I find out what it would be worth? It has to be worth more than book value, but I don't know how to find out.
  • jfran2jfran2 Member Posts: 1
    I just discovered this forum, and have spent a very happy hour or so reading posts!
    I have a 2000 300M that I bought with 67,000 miles on it in 2003, and now have 142,000 on it. I do only normal maintenance on it, fix stuff as it wears out, and have had zero problems with it! I absolutely love the car.

I have driven Saabs for years, (decades, actually) and always said I'd never buy another car unless it drove better than a Saab. Well, the '84 Saab is sitting out in the driveway looking forlorn, while the 300M enjoys the place of honor in the garage!

I have one question - can someone please tell me how to get to the interior lights above the front seats, where the trip computer is? One of them is burned out, and I'd like to replace it. Thanks!
  • vernon1vernon1 Member Posts: 3
    I have owned my 2000 300M since 2004 and really enjoyed it. I still have the original battery in it with 128,000 miles on it. Should I change it, get it checked, or just leave it alone until it goes out??? Also one of my overhead driver's side dome light is out. Will the lens just pop out so I can change the bulb? Are the spark plugs hard to change? Thanks
  • jlr13189jlr13189 Member Posts: 3
    My daughter is in college and is 4 hours from home. She has a 99 300M with 138K miles. She called yesterday because she can't shift the car out of park. It starts just fine, but can't shift. She is not on a slope. It is cold and has probably been that way for the last month. She drove the car 3 weeks ago with no problems.

Any ideas out there? :(
  • rdyma32rdyma32 Member Posts: 1
    Please let me know if you found place to replace the hand grip inserts. Thanks
  • 02owner02owner Member Posts: 34
    Replaced my F/R shocks, struts and front sway bar today. I am at 116,840 miles on my '02 300M. One thing to watch is that the spring seats rust, wear out and break or rip. I have seen this for myself and what you end up with is essentially a lowered car making a muffled rattle which worsens over time. Rust was a big culprit here but with a little metalwork by a competent mechanic (and yes, Chrysler still has a few) it seems to be fine. Will advise.

I'm getting that noise out of the engine that a previous poster cured with Rislone. I have heard about Rislone for years. It is just another STP type product or is there a specific advantage to using it over most over-the-counter oil treatments?

AWFUL weather in NJ today, but the M is truly a fine snow car.
  • medved1medved1 Member Posts: 1
    Actually the origin of THIS Medved is Slovak. It does in fact mean "bear," like the animal. Owner John Medved's parents were both Slovak Immigrants.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Wow! You just responded to a post more than 10 years old - I think that's a record. :) If you're starting reading from there, you've got a long ways to go before you catch up!

Welcome to the forums.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• shovelhead2shovelhead2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 chrysler 300M. After replacing several sensors including the PCM, the dealer said I need a new wiring harness for $2700. Is there any way to reset the engine light to get an inspection so I can renew my tag? Is the car totaled because of an engine light?
    There is a way to both read the code switching the key/ign switch to on (NOT starting car) 3 times in 5 seconds to get the Pxxxx code off the odometer. Then to reset the light I remember there are 3 red fuses under the hood in a plastic covered rectangular housing by the radiator overflow - pull them for 10 seconds then back in and you reset he light (you only need to pull one but it won't hurt to pull them all). I have all that data in more accurate form in the car glove box at home but am traveling now so no access for a few days ... it's my wife's car and we get frequent codes 1-2/yr pointing a bad gas cap which are false alarms so I know how this works but cannot give you specifics now.

Now you may have a totally different situation that requires a LOT more service but you can try this and see, ie, we had a chk engine light for a cam sensor go out under warranty and that did require a sensor replacement.

These are good cars, I've had good luck with mine however servicing the engine crammed into limited space is a nightmare.
  • candygirl103candygirl103 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2011
    1999 300M

The car slided out of gear and back in gear by itself. Later we noticed it was leaking transmission oil. We drove it for about a mile like that before we decided to get it towed. About 150k miles on it, is it worth fixing?? will it need a new transmission? :confuse:
    You may get lucky if driving it only a mile did not damage the tranny, it could just be a seal or a leak in a coolant line - I had that occur on a 94 Pontiac with 30k mi that we stopped right away and after fixing the coolant hose leak we drove it another 90k mi before the engine went. But if it's a bad tranny you are probably looking at $2-3k for that and the car is only worth $3k retail, $1k tradein based on the NADA book, not worth fixing but you might get something dealing direct with a salvage yard.
  • leslielbkleslielbk Member Posts: 5
    Should I sell my 2010 Kia Soul with 36,000 that I owe $4500 on for a 2002 300m special with 36,000? Perfect maintenance record and owned by a little old man. What do you all think?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Wow, those are two TOTALLY different cars - it's like comparing apples to lawn chairs.

Unless you just hate the Soul, you've got to think about the warranty as well. Your current vehicle has a lot left on it, and the 2002 300M will have no warranty. Regardless of the mileage, it is a ten-year-old vehicle, and rubber parts rot and metal can rust.

What's driving your interest in trading?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• witchdoctor666witchdoctor666 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 99 399m with 113xxx miles on it and the dash lights just started to flicker on and off. also when i drve the car and stop. all gauges are normal turn the car off sometime when you get it to start is runs really ruff like its misfiring and you have to accelerate it to keep it running for about 2 to 3 min then its ok. sometmes it wont restart for a while. again no stored codes on computer any ideas. im at my wits ends its my wifes car. also i replaced a bad ground strap and that wasnt the problem.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter would like to speak to car owners who use Chrysler Uconnect, Cadillac CUE or Ford's MyFord/MyLincoln Touch. If you use any of these telematics systems, please send your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com no later than November 20, 2012 at 1 p.m. PT/4 p.m. ET.