Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    It's Ok lulu. I tell my wife the same thing. I even told her that they're going to pull out your air filter and show you that it is dirty and needs to be replaced. The charge $18 for an air filter I can pick up for $4 and replace in minutes! One of the few time she actually listened to me :blush:

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• lulu9lulu9 Member Posts: 154
    So they do the "dirty air filter" routine in NY too!
    As a long-term tire-switching strategy--to follow up on NYC's tire recommendations--it was suggested that I look into locating our OEM rims so I can have the snow tires that NYC recommended permanently put on those rims. So every winter, theoretically, it would be that much easier to switch over to the snows. The logic is that the initial expense of the rims will pay for itself in hassle and convenience over the long haul.

So I contacted one of the local auto junkyard, and they left a message for me this morning saying that they have the OEM rims for $150 each. Yikes! Even "used" rims are expensive!

I'm starting to realize more and more that "outfitting a car" is just a different version of clothing and accessories!

Anyway, I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I really didn't think they would get back to me so quickly. Obviously I would need to see them first to make sure they are what they are. I think I need a few days to get over the sticker shock!
    $150! To quote Chris Rock "Good Lord, That's Cheap!" The cheapest OEM Prelude Type SH rim I could find was around $345 when I cracked a rim on that fatal January day back in 2003 that also claimed my exhaust (which was ripped off from the catalytic converter back) and ruined my right rear suspension. So $150 a piece is very reasonable.

I actually run 15" black steel wheels on my car in the winter with the Snow Tires. They aren't pretty, but they get the job done. Also by going with 15" wheels and tires (195/60 R15 as opposed to the stock 205/50 R16 known as minus One) I get a narrower contact patch which puts more weight on the tires and more surface area. I get a bigger sidewall that helps cushion the blow when I hit those unavoidable speed bumps.

Switching wheels & tires as a set makes a lot of sense. I often compare tires to shoes. Do you have once pair of shoes for work, dinner on Saturday night, working out, weddings and formal events? The answer is NO! My summer tires let me have great fun with my car 3 seasons a year. My winter tires keep me on the road and getting lots of funny looks from SUV drivers as I pass them.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

:mad:

More later
    The commute this AM wasn't too bad. It was snowing, but the roads were just wet. By the time the whistle blew this afernoon, it was icy and slushy. The roads were a mess. The Prelude handled predictably, tracked beautifully, and there was no white knuckle driving in my car. Tomorrow's commute is supposed to be loads of fun.

OMG: You crack me up! You're like the Grand Poobah of Tires--and of Prelude Type SH esoterica. I mean...you can actually store and retain this kind of information???

This is a perfect example of why The Male Brain never ceases to fill me with wonder and amazement.

The auto wrecking place that I called in Norwalk said that they "can get" the OEM Prelude Type SH rims in good condition for $150--if I want them (I told them I'll wait). Apparently, the price depends on the condition, and I was told that these are in good condition. They're probably networked with other auto wreckers from all over. But you probably already know this. One of these days, I would love to post something that someone doesn't already know!

To put things in perspective, I just received the Sak's Spring Catalog (appropriately titled "Want it! Want it! Want it!" because, naturally, I do! :) ). One of the dresses that I absolutely love is $495 and a pair of hot, hot, hot Dior black leather platform sandals goes for $765 (in my dreams...would go great with my car too). Oh, and let's not forget the Chloe handbag that I also adore, which is only $1,895. Gee, that's enough to scare any man away! :P So outfitting a woman can still potentially be way more expensive than outfitting a car. And, you can actually buy something useful, like snow tires, that can save your life.

It's not even worth bitching about today's driving conditions--o.k., I will anyway as I need to let out some frustration--because I'm starting to sound like a broken record. I was unable to leave the office early and barely made it home. As you guys must have experienced yourselves, the conditions were treacherous--even on the main roads. These tires crippled my poor car as "we" were slipping and sliding all over the place like idiots. It was ridiculous, SCARY, and embarrassing all at the same time. Enough is enough.

It's one thing to stay home when the weather's bad, but what about getting home? In one piece? I don't know if it's the weight of our car in (lethal) combination with the stock tires, but I have never--never, ever--experienced so much trouble in snowy/icy conditions.

Living in the heart of SUV land, nothing would give me greater pleasure on days like today than to whiz by those pompous jerks who deliberately get up on your tail and ride your [non-permissible content removed] until they force you into an accident or pass you with that obnoxious glare. Nothing makes my Italian temper flare more than this!

That January 2003 incident sounds horrendous. I'm so glad that you were able to put everything right again.

One of these days, I would love your fashion advice for rims--in all seriousness. I know that Tire Rack is a good source for viewing rims. Since I like--need--things to look pretty, is there like a "Guy Rule of Thumb" for coordinating rims with cars?

Well, I printed out another Nyccarguy post. Thank you again! :)

Tomorrow ought to be interesting--weather wise. Right now, it's sleeting so hard that I'm afraid of losing power.

Have a great weekend everyone! :)
    Hmmm. Do I detect a hint of smugness in this post, especially considering my hellish, COMPLETELY WHITE-KNUCKLED Hail Mary ride home from work? :P

Next winter, based on your sound advice, I fully intend on being able to drive as confidently as you! What a concept!
    In the meantime, I'm just going to have to suck it up--as I did today.
    You did teach me something I didn't know. I NEVER thought of calling a junk yard to get soem OEM rims! Great idea. Hopefully I won't have to buy any more rims for my beloved Prelude :P

I passed the SUVs today with great pride and lots of care. Nobody on the road likes the guy in the little red car ;)

If I didn't have to be at work at 7:30 tomorrow AM, have to maybe get up an hour or 2 before my alarm goes off to feed my son, and raise some serious suspicion from my wife, I'd take a ride up there right now so you can see how amazingly well my car handles in this weather. "Sweetheart, I'm driving to CT for a few hours to meet this girl from the internet so I can show her how effective my snow tires are." ;)

The reason you're having so much trouble is your tires. I tell people this ALL the TIME but they don't listen (not you lulu9). What is the only part of your car that has contact with the road? Your Tires! RWD, FWD, or AWD doesn;t matter. My best friend had an '02 A4 3.0 with Quattro and a Sports Package (Z rated performance tires). The forst time it snowed he called me up and told me how bad his car was in the snow. Tires....DUH! People around here think they "need" AWD for the 5 days a year it snows. Just get a set of winter wheels & tires I tell 'em.

Yeah, it was pretty horrific when I ran over that 1/2" thick metal plate that damaged my car. But you have to look at the positive side of it. It solidified my relationship with my dealership when they told me to keep the loaner car for 8 days until they could get the parts in and properly fix my car. I drove all over the place that week and put almost 900 miles on their loaner car. If I'd never had a new exhaust pipe welded on, it would have never rusted out and I probably wouldn't have my Apexi World Sport Exhaust!

I look on the internet at manufacturers' "build your own" sites and used car listings to see what I'll get next (even though my next car purchase won't be for at least 2 years (unless the unthinkable happens). My wofe's car will be due for replacement before mine. Right now I'd love to get her a BMW 328i Sports Wagon. I figure that if I'm going to have to take out a loan to pay for a car, it might as well be one I really love.

For me, do I see if I can get my hands on a 328i or maybe the perfect used '05 330i Performance Package. I've never bought a used car, but am that in love with BMWs that I'd consider it.

Before I bought my Prelude I decided that I'll never compromise on a car purchase (cheap lease deal, cheaper car...as long as it is in my budget) because I love cars and driving so much.

Lulu9 (w/the #9) sounds funny--a name you'd assign a model number to for a blow-up doll! I was quite surprised that there were THAT many Lulu's already on this board when I registered, which is where the "9" came from. Yet this is my nickname!

As is often said, real life is so much stranger than fiction, as Anna Nicole Smith's post-mortem saga continues to draw us (women) in with its twists and turns with Larry Jerkhead (Oh, I meant Birkhead--however his name is spelled) and Howard Stern. Although your ride to CT in the middle of an ice storm to demonstate the impressive performance of your snow tires would have been completely legit--what better way to prove your point!--what sane woman would believe it?? :P

I do not know what "Z rated" means, but I am aware that tires are rated differently. I suppose the ratings are a form of classification, but I have no idea what the ratings stand for. I'll go to Tire Rack's website and look this up.

You are right: The energy of life is a perpetual balancing act, so it makes complete sense that some really good things came of that awful metal plate situation. You acquired your cool exhaust, and you developed a positive relationship with a Honda dealership. I'm impressed by how well they took care of you. So they should have your loyalty--they earned it.

Gee, I hope your friends listen to you! You have certainly influenced (and helped) me with all your tire advice. But you know that other saying..."You'll never be a hero in your home town." (You have to go away to become one, and when you return, everyone sucks up to you. That's how it really works!)

Another weekend gone...where does the time go? :cry:
    That's why you're Nyccarguy!

BMWs are beautiful cars. What's not to love? Owning a BMW is my "someday" (aspiration) car because they're expensive to maintain (as you know--very complex creatures) so a lot can go wrong--and does. Still, one of these days in the not-too-distant future, I may have an opportunity to buy my boss's '01 530i (at a really sweet price). However, I'm keeping my Prelude no matter what.

I also learned to hard way to never compromise on a car--if the driving experiece is important to you. So whatever your price range is, buy a car you love!

Both Westchester/Fairfield County's are goldmines to find your '05 330i Performance Package. People 'round here sell their cars for no other reason than they're bored and want to have something new again. The good thing about these makes(when you don't own one) is that their depreciation is quite steep, so you're essentially getting a low mileage car while someone else took the depreciation hit. If you're willing to find your own financing, you could find a much better deal buying privately.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    BMWs are not expensive to maintain. They are expensive to repair if they are not maintained. If you ever buy a used BMW, make sure maintenance is documented and occurred more often than BMW recommends. My 2002 530i Sport Package 5 speed has over 85k miles and no problems.

Also, snow tires help a car start in the snow; you should not drive any faster.
    Saturday on my way home from work, my Prelude hit 80,000 miles!

BMWs being expensive to maintain is kind of an old wives' tale. Find a properly maintained BMW and they'll last quite a long time (especially with manual transmission). My Dad currently drives an '04 X5 3.0iA Sport He's got somewhere around 65K miles (since Feb '04) and I can count on one hand the number of times it has been back to the dealership since his lease started. My Mom drives an '05 E60 530iA that has somewhwere around 40K miles and had a similar ownership experience. They both love the way the cars drive! These 2 have been their first 2 BMWs and they're hooked (They HATE idrive though).

Z rated performance tires mean they are speed rated up to 149 mph.

530ir1150r: I'm sure you LOVE your beautiful car. That's enlightening (and impressive) to read that you've got that much mileage on your sports package and have never had problems. Did you buy it new...so it's been pampered since its infancy?

One of the issues that REALLY bothered me while I was shopping for a Prelude is that the dealership would not/could not provide me with any service history whatsoever--other than the fact that it was Honda Certified when it was traded in. And this left me with a really bad gut feeling. I referred to it as the Born Again Christian car and decided to set my sights on finding one privately.

I hate to sound like Dr. Phil, but (happily) Westchester/Fairfield County is a "target rich environment" for picking up a late model BMW, whichever model and package floats your boat. However, I've always been (really) afraid of the maintenance/repair aspect of ownership, and this perception, based on what I've heard/been told over the years, has continued to keep me at arm's length. So I appreciate reading your comment.
    Congratulations on reaching 80,000! :)

It's really great to know that my car should run great at 80,000 as long as it's properly maintained.

I suppose it's time to put that old wives' tale to rest then.

Thank you for defining a "Z rated" tire for me. Got it.

By the way, I checked out Tire Rack's website briefly...downloaded their Spring newsletter too. Oh my goodness! Talk about an overwhelming amount of choices for tires and rims, rims, rims, rims...it never ended! This is an entire universe unto itself--more than the shoe department at Nordstrom's. :blush: How/where does one even begin to choose which shoes go best with the outfit??

May I ask what you paid for your rims?
    I paid about $25 each for them. They're black 15" steel wheels. They're not pretty, but they are functional. I'll take 'em off next week! When I have my Thule Ski Racks and steel wheels on my car looks like something out of the Mad Max movie :P

O.K.

So in the world of rims, you can spend as little or as much as your heart desires...this does not necessarily have to be a major expense.
    The list of your already have, gotta have, and need to have never ends. ;) Let's not forget the ski rack! I just read your profile for the first time today and had to smile. (I didn't know we could have profiles.)

BTW, what led you to your Prelude to begin with? Did you have a short list of cars in mind, or did you go straight to the 'lude?
    posted about it before, but here goes again:

My love affair with the Prelude began when I was 16. The '92s were out and 4 days after I got my White/Grey with white mesh wheels 1992 Chevrolet Beretta GT, my best friend who lived across the street from me got a 1992 White Prelude Si. It wasn't the flashiest car in the school parking lot, but definitely one of the coolest (I thnk there were a few 4th gen Preludes). I just loved the way it drove, handled, & looked. He got compliments on the car everywhere we went. It was bulletproof. The fit and finish were outstanding. The interior was clean and comfortable.

I wasn't as happy with my Beretta as he was with his Prelude. Everybody I ever met who owned a Prelude couldn't say enough good things about it. The only regret they ever has was selling their car.

Fast Forward to 1997. I'm a junior in college and get a phone call from my best friend. He tells me Autoweek got its hands on a new Prelude. I drove an hour and a half to the Roscoe Diner (from Ithaca, NY where I was in school) and met him to see the article (and say hey among other things). I really loved the styling.

I got a chance to drive one during winter break. I'm not proud of it, but I went to a dealership for a joyride. I was amazed at how well the car pulled around haripin turns.

I tell myself every time I see a Prelude that it will be my next car.

1998 I'm a senior and my parents ask me what I want for graduation. Grandma says she'll buy me a car. Prelude right?

I can't stand beer & have never been much of a drinker. Since beer is the beverage of choice at most college parties, I always designated myself as the driver. I felt safer being in control when we left whereever we were and knowing that I was stone cold sober.

I carried a lot of people around. It snows a tremendous amount in Ithaca & There is salt on the road until May. I couldn't get a Prelude and subject it to the harsh conditions of Ithaca, NY for even just a few months. I ended up leasing a Ford Explorer Sport for 2 years. It was a 1 time lease payment of like $6500 and drive the truck for 2 years.

After graduation I am coaxed by my parents to move into the city (If I could only have the rent money back). When the lease it up on my Explorer, I don't need a car (but I'm a car nut). My Mom is driving a RWD MB CLK and wants a second car for winter driving. SHe tells me to look at something FWD or AWD with an automatic and she'll make it my car whenever I need it. I passed on the Prelude because I didn't want to own one with an Automatic. I ended up with a Saab 9-3. Great car. Lots of fun to drive! Extremely reliable. Feel in love with the rock solid euro car feel and turbo acceleration.

A few months before the lease on my Saab ended ('02), I noticed a lot of '01 Preludes still on dealer lots. There are so many in fact that Honda still had the '01 Prelude listed on their website in '02. I looked at an RSX Type S and the Prelude. The RSx was nice (it was faster), but not as solid as the Prelude. The dealer I bought the car from had 6 base model automatics in stock that were DEEPLY discounted.

I told him I wanted a Type SH and to see if he could locate it for me. Red, White, Black, or Silver. If there were no Type SH Preludes available, then see about getting me those colors in the base model, stick only.

He found my car sitting on a dealer's lot in Jersey. I took delivery of it on 4/27/02 with 88 miles on the odometer.

Yeah, I put skiis and bikes on top of my car (at different times of course). The Thule Racks are great!

update my profile:)

I didn't realize you had posted your Prelude back-story (how ironical that reads) before, otherwise I could have looked it up (and saved you time). All I knew was that your first car was a '92 Beretta GT as a teen.

But the twists and turns of fate and circumstance that eventually led to your finding your car was an interesting read--including your being the designated driver. (BTW, I hate beer too.)

Yes, the RSX Type S is faster. BUT...IYO, did you think it handled better than the Prelude Type SH???
    Just curious:

When is the last time you saw another last gen. 'lude on the road??

In this neck of the woods, I cannot recall the last time I saw one...almost a year? Has it been that long? Yeah, I think it has.

Maybe it's different as you get closer to NYC. Perhaps you see our cars more frequently.

Nevertheless, isn't that cool and satisfying...to own something that not too many other people have or can appreciate? :) I think it is. But I'm basically like that with everything. A true Virgo!

Well off to the gym I go. BTW, to really drive your tire point home :P , I have cross-training sneakers, running sneakers, walking sneakers, and household chores sneakers, (which are transitioned from cross-trainers once they lose their bounce).
    talking about my car (if you hadn't noticed).

Whenever I see a Prelude, I'll either flash my lights or tap the horn and wave. Sometimes I get a "Thumbs up" back. I see most Preludes when I'm NOT in my car (driving the wife's '00 Mazda Protege ES). I'll flash out of habit and sometimes people look at me like I'm crazy.

There aren' t too many Preludes around to begin with, so it is rare when I see one.

Whenever I'm talking to someone I don't know about cars and tell them I drive a Prelude, I get nothing but good vibes. A smile or "hey that's a really cool car."

Next time I see another Prelude Type SH, I'll let you guys know.

May be another year or so... :)

And I'll be sure to say "hello."
    politics. I wandered off our Prelude thread last night for the first time and ended up eavesdropping on a testosterone-laden topic about the upcoming auto show in NYC. Oh, it was the most comical read for me! (I saw that you had posted NYC but had side-stepped the fray.)

Well, there were some ongoing differing opinions with all these posters jumping into the thread. These "issues" were being more hotly contested than a debate on t.v. with all the political analysts on board--all fighting to get in their two cents. One poster even wrote that he was getting really annoyed! Anyhow, you must know from a chickie's standpoint how amusing that all is.

I couldn't help but notice the grouchy tone of the BMW guy who dropped in the other day out of nowhere. It's like he dropped in just to make his opinion heard, and was gone. That was it! And my feeling was, Wow! I didn't realize how nice NYC and Timothy are until this :mad: guy came along. If that had been one of my initial experiences, I would have been scared away!

This (Edmunds CarSpace) is all a very interesting sub-cultural experience, I must say.

I did go to the car show several years ago with an X. I remember two things: the crowds! Ugh! and the concept cars--that part was really cool--once we could get close enough. Other than that, I was like, "When can we go to lunch?" :blush:
    We bought it new European Delivered. Any BMW can have it's maintenance record checked at any BMW dealer for BMW dealer performed work.

I lurk here for the most part; we sold my wife's '98 Prelude (base auto)last summer. I think it is worth more now.
    Are you the grouchy guy? So Sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blush:
    (I have a friend who likes to tease people when they're "grouchy"--it's a Fairfield County joke--so maybe that rubbed off on me.)

It has not occurred to me to consider the worth of my '01 Type SH because I feel so fortunate to have located one to begin with. They're so hard to find w/low mileage and in pristine condition, and I would only consider a manual in any sporty car (which made my search that much more challenging--plus I wanted the SH, which narrowed it down considerably). A manual is just my personal preference--what I learned on as a teen--though I can certainly understand why people prefer the ease and convenience of the automatic. For me, it's just an emotional thing I have with the Prelude because of its long and impressive history and the fact that I owned one before--so it earned my total loyalty and respect. None of the other cars I've owned have even come close. Even if I acquire a second car in a few years, I won't sell this one. It's a keeper, no matter what.

In my (very) modest opinion, at any given point in its history, I always thought that the Prelude did a spectacular job in covering all the bases for a sporty car in its price range w/the technology that was available. And its reliability--at least with the manual--is equally impressive. I also appreciate the fact that the design of the car is not adolescent or overly macho in any way. It's not too anything! It's very clean, so for me, it's just right.

NYC gave me some great recommendations for tires and upgrades, which will no doubt add to my long-term enjoyment and pride of ownership.

That's an interesting point you made about the BMW and being able to track a car's service history as long as it was done at a BMW dealership.

Please accept my apology for calling you a grouch!

Lulu

P.S. Yeah, that's the thing about being Italian. We can let it all hang out!
  • timothyawtimothyaw Member Posts: 148
    Well let's see, the last time I saw my car here in hickville (Indianapolis :P) was a month ago. There is one lady that has a black base Prelude that live somewhere near my area. I see her every blue moon on the way to work. So it's not too often I see a last gen Prelude around here, and that is sooo very satisfying!
    I saw a black SH just like mine one day on the freeway. I was in my Integra following behind. It is pretty neat to see the car in that respect. You can really appreciate the good looks of the car.
    It is nice not seeing yourself come and go all day everyday like accords and camry's. It's nice feeling somewhat unique.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    It's really great to know that my car should run great at 80,000 as long as it's properly maintained.

Don't know about last gen Prelude, but 2nd gen I had (1984) got me to 195,000 miles relatively trouble-free. There were usual tire, brakes, muffler, spark plug, timing belt, etc maintenance issues. Engine and manual trans were bullit proof and never touched-opened up in 14 years of use (84-98). Had to have alternators replaced twice. Wanted to hang onto car for awhile yet, but a contractor doing work on our property noticed car in garage and made me an offer for the car and I sold it to him.

Road and Track was very impressed with the Prelude it tested in 1984. Had to wait 3-4 months to get one. There were long waiting lists at all Honda dealers for this car.

Got the car without air and finally relented in 88 and had dealer install it during hot summer. Car lost a little of its handling prowess with extra weight of compressor.
    Hey, Timothy: I thought you were located in the NYC metropolitan area. Oh, so it's Indianapolis! You folks get some pretty harsh winters there too. Time to get my baby washed yet again!

Yeah, it really is satisfying to own a car that not too many others have, i.e., it's a rarity to see a last generation 'lude on the road, but it would be great fun to get a look at one out and about in action--kinda like looking at yourself in the mirror from behind :P, and not thinking you look fat--but pretty darn nice! (Well, that's just the way many of us gals think...we automatically "go there.")

I always keep my eye out for all Preludes, since I feel that we're kindred spirits, yet I rarely see any these days. In a way, it really makes me feel sad.

Oh, I forgot to tell you. When I took one of my girlfriends (who used to own an Integra...I don't recall the year) for a drive, her first comment was, "This is just like being in my Integra! It's the same thing." I would have gladly let her test-drive my car so she could really get a sense of the difference--and share that with me--but she doesn't drive a stick. (I offered to teach her...as I've offered to teach all my friends.)
    Wow...I owned a manual (naturally for me) '84 Prelude too! That's the car that earned my undying Prelude loyalty. It was the first car I ever owned that I loved! I so enjoyed reading your post...your description of how the engine and manual transmission were bullet proof.

I tried to explain some of the particulars of this car in a much earlier post, but you did such a much nicer job! Thank you for paying this 2nd gen. 'lude car its due! I nick-named mine, "The Little Car that Could." :)
    is definitely one of my favorite Prelude features. I like knowing that I have a cool car that isn't on every corner.

or every city--or county (for that matter) :P

When we arrived home from picking up my car, my friend said to me, "You'd better take great care of this car and hang onto it because there are no more to be had...that's the end of the line."

And that's coming from a BMW/MB guy.
    "Isn't that what we unconsciously strive for? A look that manages to stand for right now and forever."
    I hope not, but a little introspection is good for everybody. What in my post made you think so.

Remember with a Prelude, you are now driving an orphan. Parts over time will get harder to find as well as people who know what they are doing when working on them and after a certain age old cars are not practical for every day use. Enjoy your remaining time.

My wife loved her Prelude, but she wanted a convertible. A 16 year old high school girl bought it an half hour after first seeing it and she still was still excited talking about it when we ran into her 3 or 4 months later.
    530ir1150r is good people. A former Prelude owner who now drives an E39 530i with a stick. It is a natural progression.

• wpggweedowpggweedo Member Posts: 1
    1997 Honda Prelude, 93000km

I have owned this car for five years and kept it in immaculate condition since day one. It has never been winter driven, has never been in an accident, has won numerous awards at local car shows, and has been serviced regularly by the same mechanic. I am selling it because I will be moving to Ottawa next month.

1997 HONDA PRELUDE, 2 doors, FWD, 4 CYL, 2.2L, tiptronic, only 94,000 km! a/c, ABS, a/theft, c/c, driver a/b, dual a/b, htd mirrors, htd seats, kyls entry, Custom leather intr., pb, pdl, pm, pwr pkg, ps, splr, s/roof, tilt/s, tilt/w, tint glass. Wings West RS Body Kit (front & back bumpers, side kit, spoiler), 17" KMC Rims, Pioneer Stereo, w/ 5”LCD screen, custom built stereo system many other luxury mods, award winning car, exquisite.

link title

for pictures and full description of mods. $17,900 OBO
    Price will be dropped if the buyer does not want the stereo.

This car is located in WINNIPEG, MANITOBA
    My excuse: I've been a combination of incredibly busy and sick (and traveling)!

Jeez. Is this what happens when I abandon my post?
    530ir1150r: Sorry I haven't gotten back to you...life has been a crazy combination of sick, very busy (college decisions came in/visting collges), and just overall over-run by life outside of Edmunds.

Will get back to you shortly.

Off to the gym.
    I've been sick since Saturday night with some funky sore throat ailment (I'm 85% better), busy at work dealing with massive upcoming price increases, Jewish Holidays (Passover), and last but not least, my 31st birthday (which was Yesterday).

Just to stay on topic here, since schools are out this week there is virtually NO TRAFFIC. It is like driving my Prelude to work on a Saturday, but everyday!

Happy Belated Birthday, NYC! Gee...31? You're getting up there! So you're an Aries. Hmmm. At best you're: Enthusiastic, courageous, carefree, amicable, exciting, decisive, straight-forward, quick witted, and energetic; at worst: I'll leave those qualities out (save those for another time)! :P

A lot of people have been sick, including me, and I must tell you how wonderful it feels to re-join the "Land of the Living." Whatever it was that struck me down got to me in the worst way, and life as I knew it ceased to exist for about six days. I can't remember the last time I was THAT sick!

But we're supposed to talk about cars, right? Well, my biggest challenge with you guys is staying on course!

One of our last topics was the frequency of seeing other Preludes on the road. My comment was that I could not remember the last time I had seen one in this neck of the woods.

Well, last night (Thursday), I not-so coincidentally found myself parked next to a white Prelude at the gym parking lot! How uncanny is that? (I don't believe in coincidences, large or small, so I must have attracted it since "looking for other Preludes" was percolating in my head.) I was checking it out (admiringly--because it was in really great shape), trying to figure out what year it was when the owner appeared out of nowhere. His comment was, "I know what you're thinking...that your's is a lot nicer than mine." And I said, "No that's not what I'm thinking at all. I'm wondering what year it is." He said, "a '92." And my comment was (as I'm heading for the building), "Wow...it's in really nice shape. I'm actually admiring it because the body's in such great condition." Well, that was the extent of our exchange because I had to leave to get to class. It's a weight training class that requires set-up, and I'm obsessed with getting there on time, otherwise there's no good floor space left.

I wanted to ask him how it ran, how many miles he had on it, etc., but this is the one class to which I hate being late.
    530ir1150r: You bring up a valid point, driving around in an "orphan," as you put it. At first, your statement felt a bit harsh/hard-core to me, but then I thought, "Well, it is what it is" (and men do have a way of being blunt about things--except when you ask them about being fat :P ).

Actually, this was a concern of mine before I acquired this Prelude, as I was creating my "short list" of cars. What happens as it ages and needs repairs? Since Honda doesn't make the Prelude anymore, my primary concern was finding parts for the car, and the necessity of getting OEM parts vs. after-market parts.

As such, I talked to my trusted mechanic and ex-boyfriend (with whom I'm still sympatico). X has had many "project cars" over the years as a hobby, cars that he has resurrected from the dead mechanically--cars that MB no longer makes (that's his thing...MB's). I've also got a close friend who still drives, believe it or not, a Honda Del Sol (automatic). The odometer broke about two years ago at 180,000 mark, so she has no idea what her car has on it at this point. (She has a long commute to work, hence the high miles.)

After talking to mechanic and X, neither of whom would steer me in a bad/wrong direction, I felt quite confident that I wouldn't encounter any major problems getting the repairs/parts my car will need over time. Plus, I've already decided to go after-market with the exhaust and clutch anyway.

My friend, who owns the Del Sol, has told me that she has not encountered any problem finding parts for her car thus far. The last repair she had was about a month ago, getting the turn signals replaced. Surprisingly, it turned out to be a pretty expensive job (for turn signals! :confuse: ), but the parts were there.

It has also occurred to me that I can still buy OEM parts for the Prelude over the Internet, and perhaps I should start doing that--just to have certain critical parts--if there is such a thing. (I should ask my friend to help me create a shopping list.) For instance, I already purchased a complete set of black OEM floor mats, so when my existing floor mats get too yucky to clean, I can easily replace them (granted...buying floor mats is a no-brainer), but this is just an example of my thinking-ahead, pre-emptive strike mindset.

In any event, if I were advised/warned to NOT buy a last gen. Prelude because of the "orphan" situation, I would have listened. Yes, I can be stubborn and strong-willed, but I do listen to sound advice from people whose opinions I trust.

I was pleased to read that your wife really loved her Prelude. And, in many ways (perhaps too many), I am still every bit and fiber that 16-year old! There are certain cars on the market that I dare not go near, for instance the Honda S2000 (and that's at the low end $$$ of the sports cars I dream about). I can only imagine the rush of adrenaline I would experience behind the wheel of a high-end performance machine (scary!). I have been tempted many times to test drive the S2000, but it's not really a practical car for every day driving. On the other hand, who cares? :D Seriously, anything over $30,000 is not in my budget currently, but the aspirations are there, and so is the intent.

In the meantime, my Prelude is the next best thing to being there, and, all things considered, it really is an enjoyable car to drive.
  • jfran964jfran964 Member Posts: 1
    Guys, I'm thinking about buying a prelude, but wasn't sure what kind of gas mileage is normal. I'm looking at a 98 sh. Let me know. Oh yeah, is premium fuel mandatory? Thanks
    Wow...it's in really nice shape. I'm actually admiring it because the body's in such great condition

Were you refering to the 4ht generation Prelude or it's owner? :P

YOu should have stayed and chatted with the guy! You were destined to park next to that Prelude and see the owner there at that exact moment ;)

Back to the Prelude and its unavailability of parts. I don't exactly have a desk job (actually, I don't even have a desk), so I protect my Prelude's beautiful black mats (alright, so they are more functional than beautiful) with a set of weathertech mats in the front.

Hopefully I'll have time to have my summer tires & stock wheels mounted next week! As for tomorrow, it is off to the Auto Show!

Happy Holidays everybody!

Gas mileage all depends how you drive. I do about 85% highway miles on my commute. I average about 23-23 mpg.

I've gotten as high as 28 on a complete highway tank doing 70 with the cruise set.

All Preludes REQUIRE premium fuel (high compression ratio). If you cheap out and use regular or mid grade not only will you hamper the car's performance, but you will actually get WORSE gas mileage. So it is a false economy much like the people who buy Hybrids to "save" money on gas.

Have you really opened your car up yet? Next time you're doing about 60 mph on I-95, drop down from 5th to 3rd gear (make sure you match revs please) to pass somebody! zLet us know what happens ;)

jfran964: I get about the same gas mileage as Nyccarguy. My daily driving is an odd mix of country-town-highway.

I was actually given pointers and a driving demo (in my Prelude) on how to achieve better gas mileage (in other words, how to drive less aggressively), but then that takes much of the fun out of driving my Prelude! Still, I can do better if I wanted to. I just don't as THAT takes a certain amount of will power. :blush:

As Nyccarguy confirmed, our cars take the premium fuel. Yet, I have often wondered what would happen if I "cheated just a little" by putting in a lower grade fuel...one of those things that I always wondered about but never bothered to ask, so I appreciate reading NYC's explanation.
    Will do!

I was FINALLY able to get my car up to 100 mph about six weeks ago on I-84 (outside of Danbury). I held that speed for about five seconds before I lost my nerve--cop nerve that is. One never wants to get pulled over!

Every time I dream about getting new Z rated tires (per your recommendation), the snow flurries remind me that we're still at risk for another light snow fall.