Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    ok someone squealed! who was it!! grrrrrrrrr....we had a pact going, there was like 5 of us in that chat room, we had a little cult going, i see someone has broken the faith....hhaha, ok enuff babble. seriously tho, whoever said about tho doors, earlier in one post i said my next mod will "blow your doors off....." trust me on this, i mean literally.....
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    That must be it...he's removing the doors totally and you hvae to get into the car through the sunroof...or maybe the front windshield opens. ;)
    naw thats not bondo myke. when u wanna do a cheap, fast, half-[non-permissible content removed] job, u go bondo. it wil fall out in a week, trust me, my friends learned the hard way. what i did, for my brake light, keyhole, emblems on front fenders, door handles, and wahtever else i shaved but can't think of, i welded. u can bondo, or u can weld, WELD, especially on a car like this. can't wait to finish up...thursday/friday. and put my selanoids in too, remote open. as for all door handles shaved, with what i'm gnona do it wouldn't go well.......
  • ajpiiiajpiii Member Posts: 260
    Ive been on a business trip to asia the last couple of weeks (Philippines & Taiwan) and have been going through M withdrawal... You guys on this bored have been giving me the little fix I need to keep me going... That is until today... One of the guys here in Taipei actually owns an M !! I was so happy to see one... When he saw my background on my laptop and said "Thats My Car!" I didnt believe it... but sure enough he took me out to the parking lot and there it was... a green M just sitting there surrounded by toyotas... I feel so much better now...

By the way... Avalanche... How can I get me one of them there hood scoops ???
  • rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    Way Cool Club clock face! Can't wait to get it installed.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    No we do not build cars at certain times of the day, they come down the line all mixed .So a 300 should be as good as an Intrepid. J.D Powers survey is done by the customer ,so maybe a 300 owner is more critical of the car than an Intrepid owner. A problem reported by the 300 owner may not be reported by the Intrepid owner . As most 300 owners are car enthusiasts , passionate about the car, to an Intrepid owner its just transportation. ...otto
  • panda11panda11 Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone educate me on tinting windows? I want it done but have put it off due to worrying it would bubble or be otherwise fake looking. I am interested in privacy as well as UVA and UVB protection. I have picked up that I want to ask for metallic and have it placed on the inside of the windows. What else do I need to know and what should I expect to pay? My M is champagne. Thanks for the help.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    Scotian, you've outdone yourself! That's pretty!!
  • tucsongiltucsongil Member Posts: 116
    Hello Gang!

I just got back from taking the familia to Puerto Penasco, Mexico(aka Rocky Point). It's a 3.5 hour drive(2.5 AZ. and 1 hr Mex.) from Tucson to the beaches there. Did quad riding on the beach and banana boat riding. I drove the my '96 Sable for I do not have a bra for my "M", so I did not want to drive it down there.

Phases: The Hujo dual exhaust is a bit noisy at 65 mph plus. It is sweet at idel and mid range, but a bit noisy at higher speeds. There are two ways to tone it down with the Hujo set-up. One is on Rhino Muffler 921. Rhino makes a muffler with that has two 2 1/4 inch outlets(the 921 has two 2.5 outlets). This will quite the tone down. Second is a Magnaflow Resonator muffler #10416 just after the Magnaflow collector muffler. Michael Hujo did this to his "M" and said that it mellowed the tone by about 33%. I have copy of his email to me and I can send it to you to read if you like. LMK.
  • tucsongiltucsongil Member Posts: 116
    Mike, that rear of your "M" is way too cool! Looks a bit like a Caddie STS from the rear.

Avalanche, dude you got a James Bond special going on there! Chill.......

Mobil One oil filters. Super KMart has them, but they are ten bucks! ouch!!!!!!
    any decent place will give you lifetime warrany. u want Llumar tint. it ran me $165. 25 per window, 45 for back windshild, and then 20 bucks for that strip running along top of front windshield. tint : the lower the %, the darker. check your state laws. they vary a lot. In MD, 35% is legal limit, i have 15% because 35% is like no tint at all, it sucks. check out my pics 15% is pretty dark and i think majority of guys have it on here. fuzzywuzzy even got a ticket for it. u can get this phat mirror tint too but, you'll get pulled over in a hurry....tell us what you decide to do. there is a 20, and 25% application too if 15% is too dark for ya....
    almost finished fellas....remember chat tonight! 10:00 EST, so like it would be 7:00 for you cali beach bums (lucky). sdmike, i saw that palm tree in your pic and am envious. i live up up in the mountains, so we got good views, and scenery, and blah blah blah but no palm trees :(
    there reply to my email

"Dear avalanche165, in regard to your question, we have not experienced any transmission problems from our 383hp."

so.........i may get back into this whole engine fever. i fell out cuz tranny is not capable of handling. thing is, how often do these guys drive this car? how fast, how hard, etc.... jason, where'd u find out that our cars have weak tranny's to handle 300hp+. how would someone find this out on any car? and what can we do to increase it. i had this idea way back to swap with a prowler transmission. found 3 wrecked prowlers in Hagerstown, MD, 2 with good tranny, one with good engine.
  • hataxhatax Member Posts: 56
    I think the most inspiring upgrade you could do to the drivetrain would be a new transmission, although it would be a huge undertaking, a ZF 5 speed has shown to increase 0-60 times of more than a second when a 4 speed was setup with the 5 speed it was more like 1.5 seconds.... Now where do we get one and a controller?? =) There ya go avalanche, sounds like it's right up your alley! =D
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    I got the info from others on this board including Ottowrkr. It does make sense that the 300M's tranny is good for at least 300HP. That is what is supposed to be in the Special coming out in mid 2002. It will have the same tranny. That 383HP comes from NOS. So it's not on all the time, & only gets used at WOT. They are maybe pushing 300hp, or the stock 253hp with out it. So again no one knows for sure how the 300M's drivtrain will hold up with a constant 300+HP everyday, with a lead foot like me behind the wheel. The prowler idea has been discussed. The prowler's tranny is not the exact same. It is configured for RWD, & beefed up a bit. In order to swap in the complete tranny, you would need to convert the 300M to RWD, which is next to impossiable. However, parts out of the prowler tranny could be swapped in. Although it makes no sense to do that when you can put in better more durable tranny parts while you are rebuilding it. That is the only way to make it stronger. Tear it apart & replace most of the pieces with HD ones.
    A tranny swap with the 300M would be especially tricky because the engine is mounted straight as opposed to sideways like most FWD cars. I think it would have to be custom. I'm sure someone can talk to a good performance transmission shop for ideas.
    Ok..totally off topic (don't flame me, please), I'm looking to identify and acquire the Dick Dale guitar music that plays in Disney's Space Mountain in Orlando. You can email me at mritchie@vicinity.com if you have any leads. :)

Thanks
    I found it. :))

-M
  • mykemmykem Member Posts: 203
    so what was it? one more post won't hurt!

-m
    I doubt you could solve any of them. Welcome back. How was the trip? I've had some good times in the Keys.
    I think it was a cover version of Ghost Riders in the Sky by Dick Dale (I don't have a sound card on my work PC to test the theory). Believe it or not, I found a website devoted to the sounds of space mountain (some people have WAY too much time on their hands). :)

http://hometown.aol.com/anakha42/tomorrow.html
  • rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    I have a buddy that will be posting on here in the next day or 2 selling subject knobs. At a fair price I might add. So watch for him, should make some people happy. He is also designing a headlight treatment for the 300M. More on that later. Rick
    Bring 'em on, we can handle it. Funny that everyone hated the chrome shift knob when it first came out on the 2001, and now they are in great demand. We've come full circle. Lucky I already have mine. I got on the bandwagon early.
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    I saw someone's M on here with the large Chrysler wings emblem on the trunk. Does anyone know how to get that emblem? Is it an available part from the dealer? I would like to add one to the trunk of my M if it is not too much of a hassle and is available. Have just ordered a rear/backing warning system through my Ziebart man. I think he said it is made by Audiovox. What's another $200 add on. At least it might save an accident.
  • riffner2riffner2 Member Posts: 4
    I received a call back today from my 5* dealer saying they have figured out why my 2000 300m shimmy and vibrates. Apparently there is a service bulletin from late 1999 about the problem. He says they will need my car for 1-1 1/2 days to fix it. Service bulletin number is
    220499. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks!
    Don't forget, 10:00 PM EST. Members AND non-members welcome. Go to http://www.300mclub.org and click on "Club Chat Room." Don't forget, logins cannot have a digit as the first character, so if your ed's nickname starts with a number, put a letter in front of it.

This chat room applet will handle 25 simultaneous logins, and we've never even been close to that, even with Easyrider300M and all his brothers. Avalanche165 will moderate the discussion "300M Modifications; How Much is Too Much?" Just kidding Avalanche, we're all in awe of your grande huevos in tackling some of the things you're doing. Power to the people!

See you tonight. Let's see some new folks in the group. I'd love to see us using the chat room more than just one evening a week. Maybe we could schedule different discussion subjects on different nights. Ideas? Suggestions?
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    See: Town Hall \ Aftermarket & Accessories \ Reverse warning systems
  • lonestarsledlonestarsled Member Posts: 226
    BigMike5,

The DC Concorde does not have a wing emblem on the trunk, it has letters that say "Concorde." The LHS has the wings but I doubt that it will fit the 300M trunk lid. The LHS trunk has a curved surface and the wings are built on a corresponding arc, the 300M trunk is a flat surface. The part you saw (I remember seeing it too) may be used on the PT Cruiser, I recall the wings were smaller than that of the wings on the LHS.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    riffner2-

This is all it says at NHSTA site-

Service Bulletin Number: 220499
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 121
    Date of Bulletin: 9910
    NHTSA Item Number: SB612159
    Make: CHRYSLER
    Model: 300 M
    Year: 1999
    Component: STEERING:WHEEL AND COLUMN
    Summary: SUBJECT CONCERNING THE STEERING WHEEL VIBRATION. *MJS

I hope this solves your problem.

fastdriver
    Mike, you can get the chrysler wing from your dealer...this is what u mean right?

its $28. i got it a long time ago. i think they are off the minivan. just print out the pic and show it to'em. its not actually this small, this pic is doctored a litte, did it before i actually shaved everything. so its sort of "bubble" pic'ed, but anyway, $28 bucks, from dealer. they are on all the chrysler cars somewhere or another. this was ordered from a Minivan part, even tho it is indentical to the one up front.
    I think that's the same badge as on the rear of the PT
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Before the recent super mods, how much of your car have you repainted--if you stripped the trunk , you would have to paint it--and silver is a tough color to match--did you repaint the whole car--dont you also have flames on the sides--

Are you going to repaint the whole car after the major mods you are doing --thats the only way it will properly match to other panels--

you must good friends in all the right places to do all these mods--let us know your final price tag for all these mods when youre done--just curious--
    you could probably run the factory tranny with the engine upgrade but you should probably add an improved tranny cooler like 300Michael is doing. Also it would probably be a good idea to use Amsoil synthetic tranny fluid to help with increased heat and friction---

My last car--Lincoln Mark VIII--had a lousy tranny but had a 280 hp engine--I had to change the fluid every 15K or else it would start to slip--probably would have been fine if I used the Amsoil synthetic fluid--

keep posting pics of the bodywork in progress--very interesting---what does your Daddy think of the mods youre doing--

Easyrider300M
  • sibesibe Member Posts: 102
    Where is the love Easyrider??????????
    Never let money stand in the way between you and the ultimate happiness. I'm sure Avalanche ain't. I mean if you let little things like $$$$$ stand in your way...I mean what next? where does it end??? Would we even begin...?

Sibe
    If youre going to repaint the whole car, why not use an irridescent flip-flop paint with several coats of clear. Might as well finish it off in style.
    saw an awesome paintjob on an inferno red PT today. The flame job was a purpleish-red color, and if you didn't look you didn't notice it right away. Looked awesome.
    yae of course i am gonna repaint the whole car!!! man i had to metal sand the whole side of the car to fill no taht accent line. and the hood, well i had to repaint, then we got the trunk, you've seen it, gotta repaint, hell not even REpaint, there is not paint on it! sanded everything to shave stuff off. so...what does taht leave, bumpers, front bumper filling in holes, have to paint, back bumper, what the hell why not, lol, and roof might as well. that was my thinking a week ago, so yes i'm repainting. but, taht silver color is not hard to match at all! its one of the easist colors to maek in house. and i have a custom paint job, took teh Bright Platinum Metallic, and flaked it. look at my pics under Flaked folder. also, i am putting on 4 layers of clear coat. give it a REEEEEEL DEEP look to it. i did 2 coats before, loved it. its doesnt make it darker, hard to explain.
  • sibesibe Member Posts: 102
    Where is the love Easyrider??????????
    Never let money stand in the way between you and the ultimate happiness. I'm sure Avalanche ain't. I mean if you let little things like $$$$$ stand in your way...I mean what next? where does it end??? Would we even begin...?

Sibe
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    is three parts, the center part is the trunk/hatch handle.
  • tlmillstlmills Member Posts: 1
    If anybody is interested in the 2001 chrome shift knob I will have a few available. mail me at tmills3202@aol.com for information.
  • jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    I finally got my 300M yesterday (Garnet with Sandstone, all options except cold weather pkg)- with bad news & good news. Bad news was it rained on the way home. Good news was I got it home before the HAIL !!!!!

How do you safely remove the factory exterior badges? I am considering upgrades.

FYI re- chrome shift knob- My 5-star dealer claims he can order one for $59.
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    Well I got the TB last night. Turned out the dealer had to order it. The computer said he had 1, I guess it was wrong. Got a great deal to. $175 with gasket. The orginal price I was quoted was $190. Now just looking for a shop to bore it out.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I know that this info. may seem a little old already but here's the link to more on the 2002.5 300M Special

300M Special

• rschellerrscheller Member Posts: 42
    Here's a link to the full text of TSB 220499 that a300Mguy posted on the old Edmunds board, that I copied into the forum at The Consummate 300M Pages.

Sorry about the pop-up at that forum.

Rick

• ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    I dont know who sent that info about building some pilots of the 300 speacial. but I have never seen any go down the line?. I have asked about the other shifts and they have not seen any either. We did build some 2002 LH pilots but just regular 300's .
    Also just wanted to ley you guys know that we are painting a new color , Onyx Green. this is a 2002 color but like Black was started early.Looks nice on the 300 with the chrome wheels, not so good on the other models of the LH. Also this may tick some of you off but DC has started using the chrome exhaust tip off the 300M on the Intrepid .The ES and some SE models now get just one chrome tip
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    Thanks for the spy info. Is Onyx Green lighter or darker than Shale Green? Other than color, are there any interesting differences in the '02 300? PICTURES! PICTURES! PICTURES!
  • bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Avalanch--That wings emblem is the one I was looking for. I printed out the picture and will see the 5* about ordering one. Are they difficult to attach? or just a stick-on? Don't want to do no more drilling on the trunk area if possible.
    Saw the wing badge on a new Town & Country van this morning. I made sure that I could also see the rear gate handle and keyhole to make sure it's not like the PT (Thanks for the clarification, scott)
    Just a stick on, and sticks on very good too. don't expect to get it off easily once its on there.....
    The Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club (www.300mclub.com) is planning two events in August. Members and non-members alike are invited to attend.

The first is the Monterey Rendezvous, scheduled for August 17th thru 19th in Monterey CA. The background event for this meet is the Rolex Monterey Historic Automobile Races at Laguna Seca Raceway. This is acknowledged as one of the world's premier gatherings for vintage auto racing, and is sponsored by Daimler Chrysler. For more information on this event, please go to: http://www.300mclub.org/rendezvous.htm

The second event is the Michigan Rendezvous in Detroit, also on August 17th thru 19th. The background event for this Club meet is the fabulous Woodward Dream Cruise, the biggest single day automobile event in the world. Last year 1.5 million people and 30,000 cars participated. The cruise stretches for 16 miles through seven Detroit suburbs. Can you IMAGINE a 16 mile long car show?? In addition to the Woodward Cruise, members will be visiting the Walter P. Chrysler and Henry Ford museums. This will be a great weekend of automobilia for any car nut. For more information on the Michigan Rendezvous, go to: http://www.300mclub.org/rendezvous2.htm.

Lets come out and meet each other. I'll be attending the Monterey Rendezvous, where we plan to get our M's all Zaino'd up and cruise down California's Highway 1, curving along one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world. What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon with your 300M buds. The Detroit contingent will be cruising down Woodward Avenue with thousands of other great cars. Lets make this a weekend to remember.