Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• bmwx5bmwx5 Member Posts: 16
    be vary of what they say. My earlier notes indicate they started with one item at a time at a time which finally led to the replacement of transmission at a whopping cost of $3K plus. The excuse they gave they wouldn't know until they open etc. etc. So be cautious...and just to let you know (AND THIS IS MY OPINION)- I will NEVER neither recommend in person nor BUY another Sienna after this treatment and all the problems I am reading with other owners. 'am also planning to sell my current SIENNA as I have lost trust in Sienna.
  • mparkinsmparkins Member Posts: 3
    Just got some bad news from my Toyota dealer. Our 1999 Sienna just had it's 75K checkup about 2000 miles ago and they say the transmission needs to be replaced. They're saying that the 'pinion bearing' had been flaking off metal pieces which clogged the 'filter screen' and 'pickup tube' and left it with zero oil pressure. I asked the guy how weird this is and he said 'very, I've only seen it once before'. I'm suspicious because it only has 76 or 77K miles and it's a Toyota (aren't they supposed to be the most reliable car you can get?!), it just had that scheduled maintenance, it's had ALL the scheduled maintenance (at the dealer, no less)! Does anyone have any suggestions, similar experiences, pointers, etc.? Many thanks.
  • pjksrpjksr Member Posts: 111
    The recommended fuel for the Sienna engine, with its 10.5 compression ration, is 91 octane or higher.

If that's a problem, you may try running a complete fuel system cleaner--one that will clean the combustion chamber--like ChevronTechron or Redline SI-1. A fuel system cleaner, periodically, is always a good idea.
  • lpruelprue Member Posts: 1
    To all of you out there who have experienced the "frickin squeaky brake noise", justice prevails! I took Toyota to arbitration and WON! They are to terminate my lease (2 years early), without penalty! I couldn't take it any longer. They tried to pin the blame on me by saying it was my driving habits and road conditions. Well, when the arbitrator sat in for a test drive and listened to what I've been dealing with for a year, she agreed. Two sets of brakes and 6 trips in for buffing, scrubbing, etc. within 1 year helped my case as well. The arbitrator based her decision on my "compelling" evidence in terms of my service records and the test drive. She said my vehicle involved a substantial nonconformity. So, I'm off to start car shopping. The bad thing is that I really like my Sienna with the exception of the brakes. A Toyota service manager told me that he wouldn't get in another Sienna because they haven't developed the brakes for them yet.

You too can win this battle against Toyota. Be persistent, keep diligent records and be prepared to go to arbitration. It didn't cost me any money, just my time.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Has your Sienna been driving funny? Meaning have you had hard shifts? hesistation? Etc If not, you may not need a new transmission. Personally, I would get a second opinion from an independent transmission shop just to be sure. You've already been told you need a new transmission so it can't get any worst.

If you do need another transmission, try to get some 'relief' from Toyota esp. since you have performed all the required maintenance.
    visit my msg#2515 onwards what others and I have gone thru this. My sincere advise if you donot have a real issue e.g. car shifts gears or stops etc. (although it is better to be safe than sorry and that's what we did) get a second opinion - atworst you may need a new transmission. Do you have extended warranty? I didn't and learned a lesson from the posts here and others that 2 weeks prior to 36000 miles get an extended warranty till 100K miles that will save lot of anxiety.
  • bthibodeau904bthibodeau904 Member Posts: 2
    I had this problem early on, on my 2001 LE(approx 8k miles). It would happen on 87-93 octane. I took it to the dealer and ofcourse they thought it was the gas. So they put there own gas in, same problem. My knocking only occurs when in 4th gear around 45mph just loafing along down the road and giving just a little gas and it would ping like crazy.
    First, they said i had a dirty mass airflow sensor.
    Second, they said that the thermostat was operating corectly but they put a new thermostat in that lowered the coolant temp 10 degrees F.
    Now, this did help as long as I ran 93 octane.

So, for the last 40k miles i have been running 93 octane. But just recently i have tryed 87 and its not pinging or knocking. Weird?
    Like stated in one of the recent posts. These siennas have a high compression ratio engine. Naturally they will require a higher octane. Toyota just doesnt want to tell us this.
    Thanks to all who contribute to this town hall. Lots of good info here.
  • spgrspgr Member Posts: 23
    I tried higher octane gas myself and the knocking is gone. What a difference in driving as well!! I am staying with higher octane till gas prices allow me to do so. Thanks for the advice.
  • cyeung65cyeung65 Member Posts: 11
    OK, just did a search on the 2004 Sienna on this board. The only thing was a DVD problem with the sound system. Anything else? I am sure there are enough 2004 owners out there by now to generate some feedback....silence will be taken that this van is Toyota perfect!!!!!
  • broncoguybroncoguy Member Posts: 39
    There are some other discussions here and elsewhere on the 'net that includes a few problems with the 2004. The most serious being a transmission problem that now seems to be pretty few and far between. The tranny problem involved some severe hesitation and required the whole transmission to be replaced...but that fixed it completely...on an XLE AWD van sold in Canada.
  • rdballerrdballer Member Posts: 16
    My XLE FWD has had a couple of issues:

1) Steering had a clunking noise when turning right after backing up the van.

2) The exhaust system had a squeak/rattle/noise coming from it during hot weather and long uphill drives.

The steering issue was located and resolved. Loose bolts in the front of the van I was told.

The exhaust noise was from the donut gasket between the header pipe and the secondary muffler. This one took several days to repeat and solve, but it was finally fix.

I only have one thing left "wrong" with my van and that is a squeak/rattle from the dash or driver's side of the van. I just can locate the source of the critter just yet.
  • jlewelling1jlewelling1 Member Posts: 65
    Just got back from the dealer for my 18K oil change. As I have had the car for 2 years, they recommended teh fuel injection system cleaning for $120. The van is running beautifully, so I did not do this.

When should I have the fuel injection system cleaned? Is it really time (years) or mileage dependant?
  • mparkinsmparkins Member Posts: 3
    Just got some GREAT news! Toyota has just issued a notice to it's dealers and, soon, to the owners of cars like mine (1998-2000 Toyota Sienna vans) that the transmission problem I experienced will be covered for 8 years and/or 100K miles! Got a new (remanufactured) transmission installed yesterday. Instead of a $3700 bill, I had a $40 bill for an alignment :) I guess they saw the light and realized that it was really not that uncommon and was, in fact, a manufactured defect in some batches/lots. If you are somehow in their database as having that transmission (260,000 were made), I believe you will be getting a letter from them in the near future. If you've already had that problem, you can get reimbursed too. It's restored some of my faith in Toyota and the Stevinson Toyota dealership in Denver.
  • ajidemajidem Member Posts: 1
    mparkins: Could you please tell me where I can find Toyota's statement about covering transmission up to 8 years or 100K miles?

My story...

Two weeks ago, my 1999 Sienna had the 90K-mile full service maintenance. I paid around $890.

Now it started to have some whining noise. I could hear it once the speed reaches 30 mph. I brought it back to the dealer where it was serviced two weeks ago. Now they're telling me that it has some transmission problems. I also went to another shop (not a dealer) that specialized in Toyotas and Lexus and confirmed that.

Now, this is supposed to be a Toyota that I had always trusted. It just have 90,000 miles and now I have transmission problems? I couldn't believe this is happening to a Toyota.

I also have some sliding door. It won't work anymore. Same dealer said that the ECU and motor need to be replace. The cost to replace it is around $1,800.

I think I will never buy a Toyota again.
  • yamanyaman Member Posts: 113
    What did they do for that amount of money? Did they replace the timing belt and if so is that why the cost was so high?
  • jtlanejrjtlanejr Member Posts: 35
    My dealer charges $209 for a timing belt change. All the other stuff, air cleaner, oil change, transmission fluid change, I do myself.

FYI, you can get the A540e transmission from phoenixhardparts.com for $895 plus shipping. A shop would probably charge 6-8 hours labor to install it. Much less expensive than the $3500+ that the dealer gets....
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide lists what services are required and what we think they should cost (for US zipcodes).

Steve, Host
    Steve
    Thx for the info-big difference between what the guide says for 90k miles (less than $300)than the $890 paid.
    by mparkins: Do you know where can I find this info as I just got my transmission replaced and I have few post on this #2505 onwards. If my 1999 Sienna is in the database then I can atleast try for a re-imbursement of the high expense. Thanx
    Steve:

Thanx for the wonderful link to maintenance guide.It's wonderful and informative.
  • pharmadudepharmadude Member Posts: 1
    Some weird electrical things have been happening on my 1999 Sienna.

1) I noticed the clock is not working

2) The Steering Wheel mounted controls for the sound system were not working

3) The next time I drove the vehicle the sound system controls WERE working fine, and still do.

4) Now I discover the external mirror controls don't work.

#1 only was reported to the dealer last week and fuses checked out OK. Cost quoted to replace the clock is so ridiculous that we would never consider that.

Any suggestions?
    I had a similar cluster of intermitent and seemingly unrelated electrical phenomena with a 1996 Dodge Voyager. After consulting spiritualists to ascertain that the car was not haunted and that there were no dead relatives trying to contact me, I took it to the dealer. It took some time, but they determined that a circuit board in the car's computer was bad. They replaced it under warranty.

Maybe you have a similar problem. Or maybe a dead relative is trying to contact you.
  • phillipmphillipm Member Posts: 32
    I am very interested in Toyota's proposal to extend the transmission warranty to 8 yrs./100,000 miles. My 1998 Sienna experienced a total transmission failure at 7,500 miles and was replaced under warranty at no expense to me. My van is now out of warranty as it is going on 6 yrs. old with 55,000 miles on it. I intend to keep the Sienna for several more years and it would be nice to know that any future potential trasmission problems would be covered by the extended Toyota warranty. This would be similar to the extended warranty on the engine that Toyota initiated due to the sludge problems that arose. Is anyone here associated directly with Toyota Motor Corp. that can confirm the extended transmission is in the works?
  • kw6kw6 Member Posts: 26
    I just got rid of my 2000 XLE about a month ago. Earlier this year, I had to replace a rear shock. Then, something happened to my brakes. When I'd hit them hard, the pedal would drop, there would be a metal crunching noise, and it would make a noise like air brakes (chu, chu, chu). The XLE got me through my kids being little kids. It was not the great Toyota quality I'm used to (it was my 7th Toyota), but I'm still driving Toyota!!
  • rfp1ncrfp1nc Member Posts: 10
    The passenger side power window on my 2001 XLE operates intermittently from either switch. The motor seems to be straining and then it stops. If I wait a few minutes it will move a few inches and then quit. If I wait an hour it will work through a few cycle before this problem starts again.
    It sounds like the motor is overloading and going out on high load or temperature - then it has to cool down. Isn't there a thermistor in the motor? Should I tear the door apart and lubricate? Any suggestions are appreciated.
    I know if I take it to my friendly dealer it will need a new window motor, switches, brakes, engine, paint job, ball joints, and ECU.

Thanks.
  • clayboclaybo Member Posts: 1
    Some background - my Sienna transmission started to fail with ~67K miles. I am the original owner and had performed all the recommended service, like clockwork, with the same dealer. The miles were accumulated mainly over flat terrain with one trip to the mountains around the 30K-mile mark and I used it once to tow a light duty trailer.

Needless to say I was distraught! The reason I switched from a Dodge Minivan to Toyota was the Toyota reputation for Quality. I called Toyota Corporate and they opened a case file and referred me to the local dealer's "Customer Relationship Manager". My Sienna was not safe to drive anymore (really making a distinct grinding noise) so I took it back to the dealer and left it with the Service Manager.

Since, in my opinion, I had paid a premium for Toyota Quality I opted not to buy into an extended warranty plan at the time I purchased the van new. My fear now was that I would personally be out the cost of a replacement transmission (since the warranty period at the time was 5 years or 60K miles). I swore to myself that if it came out of my pocket I would get it fixed then trade it in - never to buy another Toyota product!

Now for the good news - the Service Manager has ordered a replacement transmission to be installed and fully paid for by Toyota. No one, either at Corporate Toyota or local Toyota, has acknowledged that Toyota has recognized the "bad batch" of transmissions installed in '98 '99 and 2000. My guess is that they wish to treat this on a case-by-case basis (without the negative publicity that would result from a documented recall).

The moral of this story is that if you have transmission problems with your Sienna (at least the '99 model) take it your dealer, be nice, be firm, provide your service documentation (if necessary) - you can convince them to pay for the cost of a replacement Transmission. This experience has, at least for now, restored some of my faith in Toyota products. It is unfortunate that I had to convince them! In my opinion both Toyota Corporate and the local dealer had knowledge about the transmission issues (in general) but refused to take the initiative and be proactive with their customers. That speaks volumes - that kind of behavior is what I expect from some of the unresponsive domestic makers but not from the likes of Toyota!
  • jtlanejrjtlanejr Member Posts: 35
    I received a letter from Toyota stating that my VIN is covered under the warranty program. My suggestion is to call the Toyota customer service line and make sure that they have your correct address tied to your VIN. That way you will receive further info regarding recalls and other important information. The letter further stated that if you had already had expensed due to transmission failure, you could contact customer service to inquire about being reimbursed for the expense. I believe that they are only covering a certain date range….
  • vicheviche Member Posts: 30
    Hey all,

Can any of you give me a list of common problems with 02 Sienna's. I want to check the used ones I'm looking at for signs of these issues and I'd like to ask a mechanic to check the vehicles for these problems as well.

Also, does anyone know of any other bulletin boards, like this one, which are specifically for Toyotas. Sort of like FreshAlloy.com is for Nissans?

Thanks!!!
  • andyman1970andyman1970 Member Posts: 47
    My 2001 Sienna LE is starting to shake violently every time I get the speed over 60mph. Van only has 21K and has performed without flaw since day one. I suspect it's either in need of a front alignment (thank you, spouse, for trying to take the sidewalk with you) or possibly replacement tie rods. Before I drag myself into the dealership, I'm curious if anyone else has had a similar encounter. Thanks in advance for the info. Andy
    I don't know if there really is a "common" issue with Siennas, other than perhaps the gelling that affected certain engines. Try skimming around in here and looking at TSBs in The Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Try a net search for other sites - we frown on advertising/promoting competing forums on Town Hall. Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • fudd2befudd2be Member Posts: 50
    Hi,

I had a friend once who could not drive above a certain speed in his vehicle because something got into and stuck to the inside surface of his rim, throwing the wheel off balance.

Get under the car and check inside each rim, you'd be surprised how much space is there for things to get into.

Just something simple you can check.

Good luck,
    Howard
  • jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    Funny thing, mine just started the exact same problem on Friday last! Just called the dealer, Fortunately have the ECP warranty; they will cover a rental as we only have 1 car and they predict parts will be overnight.

Did you ever find out what the problem was?
  • rfp1ncrfp1nc Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We apologize for the brake squeal concern you are experiencing with your Sienna.
    We have researched your Vehilce Identification Number, 4T3ZF13C01UXXXXX, and determined that there are no Special Service Campaigns for your vehicle. We also have not issued any Technical Service Bulletins for a brake concern for the 2001 Sienna.
    We rely on the technical expertise of our dealers. Our dealer technicians are given extensive training and use state-of-the-art equipment in order to obtain speedy and accurate diagnoses. We recommend you contact the Customer Relations Manager at your your local Toyota dealer for further assistance.
    Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #2003022XXXXX. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free contact us via email or by calling 800-331-4331. We are available from 6 AM to 6 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday.
    National Customer Relations

BTW to jasdmw - window seems to work fine now with no effort on my behalf. Humidity, lubrication, who knows? I'll lube it when I get a chance, but if it ain't broke...
    rfp 1 inc; Like yours, mine works fine now. Last week when this occurred it was very hot. I am guessing the motors have heat overload protection on them. I hope that's the issue.
    When braking at freeway speeds, I can feel a vibration in the steering wheel. What is the likely cause of this?
    My wife told me last night that the window on her side wasn't responding.I went out this morning and it worked fine.Has anyone contacted a dealer and got a response?
    Our's is out of warranty and I suspect that fixing a problem could be expensive.
    Warped rotors, improper tire pressure, balance issues. Could be lots, depending on many factors (mileage, maintenance, etc.) Have it checked out. Most brake shops will do an inspection free. Just keep in mind why it's free!
  • lottanervelottanerve Member Posts: 3
    Hi All!

I had a problem this past week on a trip with my 2001 Sienna LE that my tailgate would not re-open. It shut normally, but would not open with key or remote. I had power to the rear wiper and it seemed like me the lock was functioning, but the handle would not engage to open.
    I took it in to the dealer who said that the "cable is broken" and since I have 38K on it (and am out of 3/36K warranty) that Toyota would pay for the part if I paid for the labor for $180.
    The cable was not in stock, so I have to go back to get it installed. I absent mindedly went to put something in the tailgate at the grocery store yesterday and it opened fine repeatedly.

Question: Has anyone heard of this problem before? I wonder if cable is really "broken".
    I have had car serviced, maint and oil changes at dealer and think $180 is too much.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks. I had the brakes inspected about 3K ago and they apparently had lots of life left. Still, they have begun to squeal occationally, so maybe thats it. I'll also have the tires checked.
  • sbisssbiss Member Posts: 9
    I had problem with brake rotors on my 99 Sienna due to a caliper pin freezing and causing the rotors to overheat and warp leading to shimmy at high speed braking. Once the pin was replaced (which I was told was common problem), the rotors were turned twice before the problem resolved. The offvehicle turning did not work- it took an on-vehicle turning to ultimately solve the shimmy.
  • sbisssbiss Member Posts: 9
    My 99 Sienna's liftgate handle mechanism broke. It was not the cable, but the cable actuator handle. A piece of plastic broke off so it would no longer pull the cable to release the lock. I believe the part cost $65, but you do have to disassemble liftgate door panel to replace. Time consuming, but it was relatively easy.

So the last 2 messages I have posted have detailed 50% of the problems I have encountered in almost 5 years of ownership. The other 2 issues were a broken piece of trim and a interior fan motor replacement. Sure beats the performance of the Caravan I had which experienced 10 failures (sometimes bizarre) during the first 3 years. The Sienna has been a dream in comparison. Now if I can just keep my wife from wanting an '04 now that the '99 is only 3 payments from being paid off.
  • andyman1970andyman1970 Member Posts: 47
    Thanks for the info, Howard. I jacked up the van and discovered there was a steel staple that traversed the rear passenger wheel on the inside sidewall. Someone had also added Fix-a-Flat improperly which created a gob of the substance near the air stem. This created a chemical ball within the tire, and threw the other wheels out of balance. Thanks again.
    I will go to the dealer a bit better prepared. The car has less than 18K on it. They inspected the brakes at both the 15,000 mile service and the 18,000 service, so I'm not sure what the situation would be. Can the roters warp if the pads are still okay?
    This weekend the "check engine" light came on in my Sienna. Using the knowledge thatI had gained from this board, I knew that one possible problem might be a loose gas cap. I checked the gas cap and it was loose. I tightened it and also filled the tank.

The problem is that the light has not gone back off. How long should it take for the light to go out? Should I take it to the dealer right away or give it a few more days? (There does not seem to be any other problem with the engine or the car other than the steering wheel shimmy with high speed braking that I've mentioned previously.)
    I've heard that three key cycles will turn the CEL off in some cars; others take a few tanks of gas through the system. I'd wait a bit longer myself.

Steve, Host
  • kathys2kathys2 Member Posts: 2
    6/4/03 - check engine light on and code PO174 system lean/a/f lean malfunction bank 2 rear manifold. Since van had only 44K Toyota paid for repair and replaced 02 sensor for goodwill. Now on 7/3 check engine light came on again. Yet another trip to the dealer to find out "everything tested ok". Yes, on 7/7 light came on again. Today they tell me the MAF sensor had build up on both sensors and we have bad gas! I'm sure the light will come on again during our road trip vacation this next week. Any advice?
  • russ1928russ1928 Member Posts: 8
    Andyman1970: I had that happen on a 1998 Ply mouth Grand Voyager.Turns out when I replaced the tires from a tire place other than the dealer the lug nuts were tightened too tight and it warped the rotors. At least that's what I was told . They turned the rotors and the problem went away.
  • jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    i just received a letter in the mail this week from toyota canada telling me that my tranny warranty have been extended to 8yrs/160,000kms no charge (whichever comes first).

it was a very polite letter stating that they have found some sienna's from 98-00 models have been experiencing tranny problems so they decided to extend the warranty. how nice of them!
  • cloud406cloud406 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, my 02 Sienna for the past week periodically stalls when I start the engine. Initially the idle speed was okay and then the engine stalls. I had to rev the engine for a little while before it stops stalling. Can anyone shed some light on this?
  • cloud406cloud406 Member Posts: 4
    I just got a call from the dealer and said that my 02 sienna (22,000 miles) has a bad idling motor and that is why the engine stalls periodically. Does this make sense? How can you tell whether you have a bad idling motor? Is there like a code in the computer or something?