Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Last week there was a flurry of posts about the basslink (mostly mine one day when bored at work). Most of the posts were clustered around a day or two and included links to the installation guide, a picture of all the contacts, a wiring chart for the M, and an article by someone that installed one. Try starting here:

sdmike2 Jun 18, 2001 9:40pm
  • sibesibe Member Posts: 102
    Welcome. We might be moving up your way, well a little further north to Fairbanks if all goes according to plan. You may not be alone for long, as I may go from the Westernmost member to the Northernmost member 8-)

Sibe
  • fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    When I had the 17's with Michelins I ran 38psi with no problems. A littler rougher yeah, but it handled great. That little red alarm light is the sensor. it's facing the windsheild.
    Did you ever run them at 32-33? I notice a big difference and I'm not sure I like it. Also, thanks fuzzy & roger for the sensor information. That at least explains why my lights did that this morning.

-M
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    If you happen to go to Alaska, let me know as you will probably have to head north through my city Calgary, we might be able to compare the two cars between Cdn and US. I might even buy you a coffee at Tim Hortons, it's better than Starbucks.
  • mike360mike360 Member Posts: 8
    We're picking up our new M (black) tomorrow, and I need to find the best product to use on the paint. Seems like Zaino Brothers stuff is popular here - is it as good as it sounds? Is there anything else that anyone uses they'd recommend? Thanks.
    I ran 35 for a few weeks, didn't notice much of a difference when I went to 38psi. I look at the max pressure on the tire, & stay within 5psi when hot. Never had less then 35 in my 300M for less then a few hours(when I picked it up new)
  • rogor2krogor2k Member Posts: 385
    Congratulations! Remember me, Seattle Roger. Nice to have a fellow WA owner in Town Hall. I see a lot of M's in the area and I've put 300M Enthusiasts Club brochures on every one I see, but I guess people aren't joiners up here.

Who are you buying it from? Maybe I already have your dealer enrolled in our member discount program; can save you 10% on all your parts and service. Anyway, check us out at http://www.300mclub.org. We're having a Club rendezvous in Monterey CA August 17th thru 19th, love to have you come. We can caravan down.

Zaino is the stuff to get. Seems expensive but a little bit goes a LONG way. http://www.zainobros.com. Start with the Z1, Z2, Z5, and Z6. The leather care and tire dressing are excellent too. It's ALL good.
    Thanx would love to do that. But if we do move, we'll be shipping the cars into Anchorage...seems this highway that's not yet finished between Oregon and Hawaii the same one that is preventing the 300M Club from meeting in Hawaii, makes it impossible for us to head that way. However, there is the Yukon Quest...how far are you from Whitehorse? If one of my friends runs it next year and we're up there I'm hoping to be there as part of his all siberian team.

Sibe
    I love the stuff. It goes a real long way. My tire treatment is a month old and still looks nice. Never been able to say that about another product (usually lasts a couple of days). My favorite is Z6...Every couple of days I wipe the car down and give it a Z6 spray and voila, show car! Pics:

Hood (that's my house reflection)

Me in rear quarter panel

Tires & Rims

• 99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    There is a Sun Strength Sensor on the front side of the little security light pod. It is used for the lights and for the Auto Temp Control system. It's basically an analog photocell, output varies based on amount of light.
  • sugar300msugar300m Member Posts: 61
    99_300m_ric_va - what wood kit did you use?
  • jgoodsonjgoodson Member Posts: 30
    Does anyone know how to restore the color on the center console lid? I have the tan leather and the lid is discolored on the edges from arm wear. I've tried cleaning it but hasn't helped. I was wondering if there is a product that would restore the color. I though about tan shoe paste but my wife doesn't like that idea.
    did not realize you were in Hawaii, does make it kind of tough, I tried to swim from Hawaii to California 1 night. I made about 10 ft before someone dragged me back to the bar lol.
    We are quite the way from Whitehorse, the closest i came to there was when my wife and I did the cruise from Vancouver to Alaska and saw the buses with Whitehorse on them at Skagway.
    It would be nice if something could be arranged for Washington or British Columbia sometime. I think that is the reason I have not signed up for the 300 Club, as there is no one around here.
    My e-mail is mjohnston@home.com.
  • spyboyspyboy Member Posts: 22
    Okay you 300M gurus out there...am I missing something here
    regarding tire pressure? Doesn't the manual state 30psi?
    I just checked mine at 32psi and figured I would leave it
    there. So why so high? Advice!
    My reason was to see if I could improve gas mileage without performance suffering. I'm going back to 32
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    mike360-

Zaino is THAT good! You will NOT be disappointed. One word of advice- tell your dealer NOT to touch the car- NO WASH, NO WAX, NO NOTHING! That's where ALL the initial scratches come from. I know you want to pick up the car all shiny and clean, but it's NOT worth it in the long run. I didn't do that when I got my 300M in 99 because I never heard of Zaino until about a month later. I DID do this with the new Acura this past March. NO scratches/swirls. I didn't even let them take the white plastic off! I did that myself because I had to drive the car from RI to CT and thought that maybe the white plastic might melt on the hood if driven a long distance. Although, it was so cold, I don't think it would have melted.

Click on my name above and you'll find the links to see what a Zaino shine looks like on the 300M and the Acura CL-S.

fastdriver
  • timbotimbotimbotimbo Member Posts: 15
    I'm seriously considering buying the best looking car on the road; (the 300M) however, I have some concerns about Chrysler reliability. Would all of you 300M owners do it all over again?????

Thanks
    Tim in Pa.
    Tim, I'm just a rookie at having a 300 M but am a vet with Dodge Chrysler products and the new 01 M is the best car I have ever driven, and if you want to get looks then buy or lease an M, you will not be sorry.
    The 34 to 35 psi defacto "standard" was established mostly for us poor goobs with the factory Badyear tires. At 30 psi, you could almost watch the rubber scrub off the edges of the tires, so we mostly all went to 34 psi and got much better tire wear and no apparent degradation in ride.

You lucky Michelin tire guys probably have a different take on the situation. Pay attention to your tire edge wear, ride, handling, and mpg and see what's the best psi range for you.
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    I DID it again!
    After 69,000 happy miles in a '99 300M, I got an '01 in January.
    So far, 13,500 miles, I'm still smiling.
    Go for it!
    In a heartbeat, I'd buy another 300M. The Chrysler quality issues come largely from other product lines, mostly Jeeps and minivans. As with any car, you can get a lemon, but with very few exceptions, we are very pleased with the fit, finish, and quality. I just turned over 17K on my Y2K 300M and not a single problem to report.

Now is a good time to buy with good rebates and low rate financing options in place. Check out the Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club web site at http://www.300mclub.org, click on "Other 300M Sites" and check out some of the reviews under "300M Reviews and Awards" The 300M has very impressive credentials.
  • sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    I'm on my 5th Chrysler car now (4 new, 1 used rental car of all things!) and have never needed anything more than scheuled maintance/consumables on any of them! My 300M is over a year old now but while it has only 4000 miles on it there isn't a hint of problems.
  • pa32tl1pa32tl1 Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know Zaino's web site address? I am planning on purchasing some. Thanks for the info.
    One more thing? Has anyone purchased from the web site? What can I expect? Turnaround time. Was it good? Thanks again.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I run mine at 34 pounds and find the tires wear much slower on the edges---just a slightly harder ride, but it should help improve mileage. The factory recommends 30 pounds probably because it gives a slighly more comfortable softer ride--be sure to check pressure when car has not been driven too far--and be sure to keep an eye on pressure and adjust for seasonal temperature differences---

I love the M and would buy again---I had several small problems--nothing major and most have been corrected by dealer--a couple other probs are in process of being corrected--the only thing I find somewhat unsatisfactory is the road noise--much louder than my Lincoln Mark VIII-- I have the Y2K with 20K on the dial--I will get the Michelins when by Badyears wear out. The M is the best value especially with all the incentives out there now.
    Web site is www.zainobros.com. Their turnaround time is usually one day from receipt of order. Unfortunately, they still don't have an online order form or credit card payment options. You have to print out the order form and snail mail it with a check. They're in NJ.

It's worth the wait.
    How much should you buy? To let you know I was ready to buy a 300M, however price led me to the TL. I am going to buy the 2002 300M when it comes out this year. That being said, how much? I was looking at Consumer Reports and there is no mention of Zaino, probably because it is a smaller company. How much do you spend? I am going to try and pitch this to my wife and have to have some numbers to give her. I appreciate all of you help Rogor.
  • mykemmykem Member Posts: 203
    I went the same route russklass went...

bought one of the first produced 300M's in 1998 (made May 1998) then traded it in for a 2001 in March 2001.

Not because of reliability problems, but I just wanted the accourtements I couldn't get or which came out between the years...

-m
    $100...a small investment to make your $30,000 car nice and shiny. :) Make sure to get the Z1 (base prep), Z2 (polish), and Z6 (touch up spray) at a minimum. You might also want the Z5 (like Z2 but helps get rid of micro-scratches), and I highly recommend the tire treatment and the leather treatment (also good on the dash).
    Didnt you have an engine smoking problem a while back. Just wondering what was the cause and cure for that prob.

PS already wore all 3 shirts and got lots of compliments on them. Hope we can get some caps before the summer is over. Low profile black would be nice with badge emblem.
    I'll go to our supplier this week and see what caps they have available. You guys work on what logo you want. If we use the club logo we won't have a set-up fee. A new logo will add some cost to the hats.

-M
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Check with the dealer first for coloring information. If no luck the shoe polish shouldn't hurt the armrest any.
    I also run 35psi., and check it once a month. The tires wear much more evenly now. For a while I did run them at 38 to bring the wear patterns in line.
    I lowered my tires back down to 32 cold and I'm much happier with the ride. Maybe having PHG made the impact of the pressure increase more evident.
    I think a simpler emblem may look better due to smaller area on a cap--I suggest maybe the 300M badge emblem with or without checkerboard pattern--I prefer the low profile soft type cap in black with white logo but am open to others suggestions--black would compliment all three shirt colors and a simple cap logo would compliment the full club logo on the shirts very nicely--the setup fee shouldnt be too expensive spread out over 50 or more caps---another possibiliy--the club logo of the car and 300M without the club name around the edges---what do you guys think?---any others care to input?--- mats would be great eventually too-- :-)
    anyone know when Zaino is doing away with the Z1--I heard they are going to a new formulation that is one step instead of two--anyone speak to Mr Zaino about this yet?
  • phases78phases78 Member Posts: 471
    ok guys im back from the field. just got home.. even with the mere four hours of sleep in the past 50 hours, driving the half hour home was outstanding! you guys should go drive a humvee thru the woods for a couple days, then come check out what your M feels like after that! heaven i tell you, heaven...

someone asking about opinions on the M? Best car I've owned yet, the only car that even came close was the 2001 chrysler concord lxi.. if ya know whats good for ya, you'd buy it. where else can u get the luxury/performance/scarcity(at least here)/safety/appearence (list goes on..) for this price?

http://phases78.homestead.com/300m.html

• spyboyspyboy Member Posts: 22
    Hi guys, yep...here's what Sal wrote:
    "The new Zaino product will be an accelerative additive that can be mixed
    with Z-2, Z-3 or Z-5....

Below are just a few of the improvements....

1. When mixed as per directions, you will not need to apply Z-1...

2. It will reduce the drying time, thus making the polish more user

friendly

in damp environments...

3. It will increase the gloss factor and extend the durability level..

4. It will have an instant cure time, so you can immediately apply

multiple

coats.. No more waiting between coats...

5. And more........

So stay tuned and please be patient for the release date...

--

Thank You,

Sal Zaino

(732)833-8800

http://www.zainobros.com"

• jona57jona57 Member Posts: 194
    SDMike2

Great looking wheels! What do you use to get that shine?
    I noticed your tire had a yellow "X" on the side. What is that from? I got my M a month ago & it has that yellow X on the tires too. I assume that the mark is from balancing the tires, but it won't seem to wash off with soap. I do not want to try claener which might damage the tire.
    I have been using Meguire's Endurance tire treatment for a year now. Nice low gloss with 1 coat, higher gloss & longer lasting with 2 coats. One coat lasts about 2-3 mo.

I use 30-32 psi in my Michelins Pilots (stock with PHP). Handles great while keeping a decent ride. Too soon to make any assessments of tire wear.
    Check out the Club web site at http://www.300mclub.org for Front Page news. See guys, I told ya' we'd get you on the web site. Some very nice pics and some new friends made. Let's see more members get together like this.
  • surfing19surfing19 Member Posts: 46
    Hey, Guys. I'm 23, and just got a 2001 300M with Sunroof. The car is awesome. I do have one quick question, my outside temp on the overhead console is showing as being 10 degrees higher then it should be. Has anyone else seen this problem?
    The 300M is my first new car, & at the time only my 3rd car ever. Compaired with the other 2 cars I had, I am happy with it. A few quailty problems here & there, nothing major. If I had to buy another 300M I would. However I will not buy another if I can get something else. The 300m is a good car, just a little too big for me, & a little slow(yeah I know 252HP) for me. It also doesn't have the reconition of say BMW, or MB. So for me, for now, it's great, in the future when my taste change(as they are now) I will get something else.
    The owners manual states that it take a few miles of driving(straight, not stop & go) to get it to read correctly.
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Loveland Pass, Colorado
    Here's a pic from Sunday near the 12,000+ foot summit of Loveland Pass, the Continental Divide in Colorado. For you broadband folks, or those with lots of time on your hands, you can view a 40 second, 13MB Quicktime video shot through the windshield of a sweeping hairpin on the descent from the pass at: http://btjdesign.com/300m/loveland.mov No, the car isn't screaming around the curve, but my 15-year-old daughter was driving - I was just holding on! Gives you a little sense of driving in the Rockies . . .
  • stevenw300stevenw300 Member Posts: 90
    Another vote for Zaino. Recommend Z-1, Z-2, Z-6 and if your ambitious another coat of Z-2 for an unbelievable shine. Good Luck.

Has anyone used Zaino's Z-7 Show Car Wash? If so, any comments? Currently using Maguirs. Any recommendations?
  • stevenw300stevenw300 Member Posts: 90
    Installing my low restriction intake this weekend. The one purchased from Stephen Lister (found on the Intrepid site). Any recommendations, cautions, etc.?

Next is probably the Borla exhaust but have some concerns with the increased noise. Comments?
    Next time take it (picture) on the sunny side so we can see your M better. Have you taken it to Pike's Peak yet?