Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• yamanyaman Member Posts: 113
    I doubt you will get anywhere.Our power window started acting up-sometimes it wouldn't close.Cost us $ 600 to fix on our 2000 XLE.No warranty coverage.
    Once the 3/35 warranty is up your on your own.Can't say that I blame them thats why they sell extended warranties.
  • neeverneever Member Posts: 2
    I just want to let everyone know about a product that has worked for me. It is called AutoRX and I have bought this stuff to treat my sludge problem. I do not get any money from this recommendation. I had an appointment with the dealer who told me that I needed to jump through hoops to get this fixed. So I did some research online and found this stuff and reviews at bobistheoilguy.com. I tried it and had an oil analysis done afterward and now I am free of sludge. Based upon the test results, I am now using Schaeffers oil and adding lube control to the oil every 1,000 miles to prevent sludge and extend my oil changes. I decided to go this route instead of fighting with the dealer. About two years ago I was told I had sludge and just disregarded the mechanics words thinking he was trying to rip me off. Since then I have realized that I did indeed have sludge and did two treatments of autorx. I spent a little over $100 for these treatments and now I have peace of mind that I will drive this van another 100,000 miles (it currently has 110,000). I just want to let others know there is another alternative that may help them. If I had to do it over again, I would do an oil analysis before treatment and then one after treatment to compare the differences. I did notice while doing the autorx treatment, little black specks on the dipstick. I also found out you don't want to do a standard oil flush since big chunks can become dislodged and ruin your engine. From what I understand autorx removes the sludge slowly.
  • momofthreemomofthree Member Posts: 35
    Just curious, what might the long affects of adding this stuff to the oil and extending the oil changes? I would be hesitant to extending the oil change periods for any reason, if my engine was prone to produce sludge.
  • jtlanejrjtlanejr Member Posts: 35
    Let me let you in on a little secret. If you properly maintain your vehicle, you won't have to use you magical sludge fix.

I have three of the "problem" engines ranging from 78,000 to 132,000 miles on them without any problems.
  • toyotaboytoyotaboy Member Posts: 3
    I am not able to bring out the midrange control on my '03 Sienna CE van like I could with '02 Highlander and '04 Corolla by pressing the bass control knob for over 10 seconds. Is there one hidden in the Sienna?
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I'm interested in what happened to your Sienna. Of course based on your treatemnt by some in here, I cn understand why you would not return.

It has been well documented about Toyota "sludge" problem and Toyota has stepped up and has extended the warranty on the affected engines which your is one.

Not sure why the shop would not cover it. I would make a call to the regional manager and have your receipts ready.

Not to bring back a dead horse but there were many people who maintained their Toyotas regularly and still ended up with sludge. This is ultimately why toyota issued the warranty.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    As far as Lisa's "treatment by some", that would be me. I respectfully asked if she'd be willing to scan her receipts for us. "No" would have been a perfectly good answer. But we haven't heard from her.

"[..]but there were many people who maintained their Toyotas regularly and still ended up with sludge."

I have heard many people say they changed their oil and then had sludge.
    I have seen many people challenged to provide receipts of oil changes.
    Here, or over on alt.autos.toyota.
    I've never seen anybody try to show their receipts. Do you want to see mine? They're all handwritten; I do my own oil changes... but for my new van I keep the store receipts. Anyway, no sludge at 87k.

"This is ultimately why toyota issued the warranty."

I'd say it ultimately was a marketing move, and a good one.
    But the overwhelming verdict by the professionals is, it's bogus.

As opposed to the transmission issue. There WAS a problem, with a certain range of serial numbers, and the whole issue is understood. And there is the extended warranty.
    The sludge thing is still a mystery to me.

I don't want to be taken as a Toyota apologist. We can all agree their bodies were terrible with rust until '92 or '93. And there was an issue for a long time with Corolla exhaust manifolds. And a number of other things, I'm sure. But this "sludge" business is just silly.

-Mathias
  • neeverneever Member Posts: 2
    Yes, if you properly maintain your Sienna engine (3,000 mile oil changes), you will not have sludge problems. But, 7,500 mile oil changes (which is what Toyota recommends for normal usage) is too long and allows the oil to "cook". These engines just get too hot for such a long duration. As far as extended oil changes, that is why I have chosen to use oil analysis to see exactly what is going on with my engine at certain intervals. No, I would not extend the oil changes if I did not get the oil analyzed. Also, I add Schaeffers oil and Lube Control to the oil every 1,000 miles which allows for the extended oil changes. It just saves me time (I change my own oil) and money.
  • gwracegwrace Member Posts: 1
    Owners of 2004 Toyota Sieannaa probably should check out this recall notice for the fuel tanks.

http://cbsnewyork.com/trouble/recalls_story_227145318.html

Toyota Recalls Minivans

Aug 15, 2003 2:51 pm US/Eastern
    WASHINGTON (AP) Toyota Motor Co. is recalling 34,437 Sienna minivans because the fuel tank is prone to damage and could cause a fire, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Friday.

The recall covers minivans from the 2004 model year that were sold to the public starting in January.

According to NHTSA, a part of the Sienna's fuel tank was damaged during severe front-end crash tests conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. A fire could result if fuel leaked from the damaged tank.

It was not immediately known whether any injuries were caused by the defect. Toyota officials weren't available for comment early Friday.

Dealers will replace the fuel tank for free. Owners are scheduled to be notified of the recall later this month.

So much for that "Toyota" quality...
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    You're posting this from August 15th? Perhaps you should go back 2 months and see the posts about this. The problem was detected by Toyota and a remedy found before any government action required it.
  • kgnw1kgnw1 Member Posts: 94
    Old news. Consumer Reports and the IIHT still gave it their best picks after the recall.

Not to mention that Motortrend also gave it their best pick.
  • ckshubinckshubin Member Posts: 39
    I lease a 2001 Sienna. At 15000 miles they turned the rotors because they had some grooves. Apparently those grooves were so deep that when I had to brake hard to avoid an accident the car almost didn't stop and I heard metal to metal crunching. Took it in and they said that they would have to replace the rotors and they would do it under warranty "this one time only." Mileage on car? 22,000 miles. Thing is is that i've taken it in for metal to metal sounds and they told me it was within the "specs". Only when I told them that I almost didn't stop did they admit that they were warped and the last time they turned and sanded(?) them down that they had to take a lot off so they couldn't do it again or they'd be too thin. They tried to blame my driving in hills (I don't live in the hills) or "bad driving habits". Add this to the humming/squealing "normal" noise that I have and it makes me glad the lease is almost up. I don't think that rotors should have to be fixed at 15000 miles and then replaced at 22000 miles. I know others have had rotor problems that i've read about but mileage is usually higher...anyone with low miles have this problem???
  • richard1111richard1111 Member Posts: 17
    Hi:

I have read many post on this forum as far as Brake Squeal/Howling. Yet, I have not come across any definite answer to this annoying problem. Can someone who had gotten rid of this problem share his/her experience on this? I really want to get this fix. Does changing to a replacment market brake shoe and drum work?

Please some shed some light on this issue. I love my Sienna but this is driving me nuts. Tha nks in advance for any advices given!

Richard
    As far as anyone I know there is no fix for the howling/squeaking noise that is on the Sienna's. I've gone as far as Toyota National who flew in a guy to check on three local Sienna's (mine included) that had the same problem. This is what they said "This noise is normal for a Sienna." Someone on this post has won an arbitration regarding the same noise. We were going to try non-metallic brake shoes but since it's a lease we didn't feel like putting more money into a car we weren't going to keep. The dealer I went to weighted down the backing plates with glued on weights and it's noticably quieter...have your dealer try this.
  • innovations2innovations2 Member Posts: 22
    I also have a 2001 and do drive it in extreme conditions, daily mountain driving including aggressive use of brakes on longer trips at high speed. My milage is 49,561 and I am still using the original brakes. I just had them checked and they still are in good condition.

I suspect the rotor problem you are experiencing is not a result of your driving. Did they replace the original Toyota brakes at some point?

I DO have the standard Sienna brake squeal, but have learned to live with it.

Hope this helps!

This time they replaced the front brakes with the rotors. They said those were needing to be replaced and that they'd do it "free, under warranty" when they did the rotors. Thing is, I only put 10,000 miles a year on a car, live in flatlands (Los Angeles suburb), take kids to and from school and basic around town driving and that's it. No hill climbing, no mountains, I don't "ride" the brakes etc.....everything they tried to blame me for. That's not new....for the humming/squeal noise they tried to blame me for saying I was driving with the emergency brake on. I never even set the emergency brake and you can tell because the lettering and pedal are new...which I nicely showed the service writer. I think it's time to find a new service dealer!
  • richard1111richard1111 Member Posts: 17
    Thanks for the response! I may try to add weights to the backing plates and see if this will help. Also, using a non-metallic brake shoe, will the brake performance be the same, as far as braking distance, etc.

I tried to live the the squeal but it is getting very annoying and louder and louder.
  • dillydilldillydill Member Posts: 111
    Has anyone experienced their tire light coming on while driving on rough roads or under contruction roads and then going back off. My wife and I just got a 99 XLE with 70K last weekend and she tells me that she noticed this happening intermintently.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Dillydill
  • innovations2innovations2 Member Posts: 22
    I'd check your tire pressure, it might be too high or too low. The sensor is checking for anything different to the pressure and without good inflation, it might be more sensitive.

Mine will turn on if I hit a bump really hard for just a second. It also will come on if I have a very heavy load in the van and am driving up a very steep hill, but will turn off once I level out.

Other than that, it came on (the way it was supposed to) the one time that I had a damaged tire.
    I'm almost due for back brakes so we were going to try a non-metallic shoe through a company that we get work vehicles services through. Don't know when we'll do that since were still at 50% of our rear brakes so when we do replace them and the humming stops i'll let everyone know! I've also filed a report with the NHTSA (web address is: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/) for this very problem as well as the rotor problem. There are a couple of other complaints regarding this issue and the more complaints they get the better!
  • yamanyaman Member Posts: 113
    Ours came on when we got new tires.Apparently there is something that needs to be reset after tires are changed.Elsewise it has never come on
  • dillydilldillydill Member Posts: 111
    My wife got someone to check the pressure and fill the tires. We'll wait and see.

Dillydill
  • anna15anna15 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a new 2002 Sienna. At 5k miles I start hearing squealing noise whenever I compress the brake and come to a complete stop. I took it 4
    times to the dealership. The noise is still there it is driving me crazy. This is the most expensive car I ever bought and it sounds like cheap car. I was on my cell phone and the person on the other line said what is this noise??? It is still under warranty I have 20k miles on it now.
    I read most all messages with this problem. Called the dealership and told them I like to try the weights on the backing plates as a temporary fix. They said no we cannot do this unless the toyota order us to do it and if there is a recall.
    What should I do I cannot live with this problem
    it is so annoying. Please anybody respond thanks
    It is annoying, however, has the dealer replaced the backing plates? There are thicker replacements - it doesn't solve the noise problem but does tone it down just a bit. Your other choice is arbitration. Someone on this thread got out of her lease and got all her money back for that very problem - so if it's really bad that's what I would do. I wish I had done that on mine. What the noise come from is the metallic brake shoe vibrates at low speeds against the backing plates which causes it to "hum". You can try replacing the metallic brake shoes with an non-metallic brake shoe to see if that helps. I don't know if anyone has done that yet or not and what results they had. Fortunately we leased ours and are giving it up in 7 months - but amazingly enough it doesn't bother me as much as it did before. The weights on my car were a dealer fix since I think they were really tired of me showing up and complaining and I had called Toyota Regional and then it went to National. I'm somewhat "blacklisted" or "flagged" by the service dept. because I gave them a scathing review on their incompetence during a couple of services so when I complain they know I'll report them if they don't try something.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A major news magazine is looking for an enthusiastic Toyota customer, preferably a buyer (or soon-to-be buyer) of the Sienna, Highlander or Tundra Double Cab. Please provide your daytime contact info and vehicle status to [email protected] no later than Tuesday, October 28, 2003.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• indtjindtj Member Posts: 1
    2001 Sienna xle,Engine noise sounds like a stuck lifter when the engine is cold. Toyota did a bore scope inspection and removed the valve covers and can't find the problem. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    Mine exhibits a similar sound, until the engine is really warm. Sounds like valve clatter for the first few minutes of driving and increases/decreases with engine speed. Van has 70K Km and shows no other probs, so I have to believe the dealer when they tell me, as you, it's normal. I tend to take it easy until the sound dissipates.
  • hottmusichottmusic Member Posts: 11
    I just got a call from my Toyota dealer letting me know that they just received word from Toyota that there will be a fix for the Sienna brake problem. I don't know yet exactly what the fix will be, but they told me it would be ready in about one month and there would be no charge for the repair. This came shortly after my most recent email complaint to Toyota concerning the brakes on my 2000 XLE, which have been squealing since we bought it used about 1 1/2 years ago. Let's hope they have come up with a good solution.
    Finally! Maybe something will get done! Did they tell you what they were going to do? I know the Tundra had problems and they eventually had to re-do the entire braking system on them all. Let's hope it's not just a "bandage" fix to pacify all of us and a true, real fix for the whole problem.
  • hottmusichottmusic Member Posts: 11
    They didn't tell me exactly what the fix was going to be. I'll post again when I know.
    Thanks...after I posted I did read that you didn't know what the fix was...sorry.

I'll try to keep my ear to the ground and find out what's going to happen and when.

That humming/squealing noise is one of the reasons why we are opposed to buying the car at the end of the lease. But if they fix it then maybe it's still a possibility...

...then again there's the problem with the front rotors, the rattling sliding door, horrible noises from the seats that they can't seem to fix, the whistling noise from the air conditioner....then again. I don't think we will

:-) i'm trying to have a sense of humor about this car - afterall we only buy a new car every 15 years. I'd at least like one that works right!

hmm...then again...I think i'll just dump it off at the end of the lease and go back to the 10 year old Volve 850, which, by the way, spends less time at the shop than the van.
  • gadomgadom Member Posts: 16
    Hi,
    I have a 98 sienna and I noticed that the trailing edge of the driver's side sliding door bumps against the back of the door frame along the edge of the third row window. On further inspection it seems that the door is about 3/8" lower than it should be and this is why it bumps. If I manually hold the door up it does not strike the back of the frame. My question is: Does anybody know if there is a simple adjustment I can make to alter how the door rides on its track to raise it up a bit. I've looked and see nothing obvious.
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    If you can't get rid of all those disparate noises, maybe you could get a musical director to organize them into a symphony! Maybe Blue Man Group would be interested in using your van in one of its shows? ;-)
  • jayzx6jayzx6 Member Posts: 1
    If you have a 2003 or older Sienna, and your rear brakes squeal, I
    have a solution. First, Get some heavy magnets from the hardware
    store. The heavier the better. Go under the rear of the van and place
    the magnets on backing plate of the drum brakes. Place the magnets at
    the bottom. Make sure that the tire will clear the magnest. Try to put as many magnets as possible. Note, this is on
    the outside of the brakes. You do not need to take the tire off or
    the drum. What you are doing is increasing the mass of the backing
    plate, hence, changing the resonance frequency. I have read posts on
    other sites where Toyota was taping weights on the backing plate. The
    magnets are heavier and harder to remove. We get heavy rains here in
    Arizona, I have driven through streets where gushing water was up to
    the doors. The magnets did not fall off. This has totally stopped the
    squealing noise. Caution, do not test the strength of the magnets on the painted surfaces. The magnets are hard to get off and you will
    scratch the paint.
    Haa haa haa.....

You gotta have a sense of humor with these things!

Thanks for the laugh!
    I'm glad you are keeping your sense of humor. What I hate is when the total number of things that have gone wrong is exactly one less than the threshold number required for it to reach humorousness. That's the worst!

May your problems be solved very soon and good humor (humour, in Canada) continue unabated!
  • 32valveuser32valveuser Member Posts: 31
    One vote for the noisy engine when cold here. I have been blown off twice by the dealership for this. On a 25,000+ car you would think they would get it write. Toyota are you out there.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Speaking of good humor and things going wrong, shouldn't that be "you would think they would get it right"?

8^)
    Maybe he's just hoping that they would start by at least writing down his complaint before they answer with the standard, "That noise?!? Oh, that's normal." ;-)
  • 32valveuser32valveuser Member Posts: 31
    Well it's nice to know someone is out there right or write. :-)
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    And good to no their's someone out they're with a since of humor.

Now, what's all this about nosey indians? Personally, I don't think it's normal for indians to be nosey at all. I've always thought they were very circumspect and respectful of others privacy. What nosey indians have to do with Sienna's, I'll never no......8^)
    What's ALLOWING me to keep my sense of humor is the fact that I don't own the vehicle nor do I have to nicely try to unload it on someone else! I get to turn it in no questions asked! That's the one (and only) good thing about a lease. The next car to be leased is a LS430 and they're actually talking about paying off the lease for us before it's over so my humor (or humour) may stay intact as I way goodbye to the van with a smile on my face. Hope none of you out there end up with it! ;-)
  • mayerofrfmayerofrf Member Posts: 33
    In response to post#2684....I tried the magnet trick on the backing plates and it seemed to help a great deal. Tried to heat up the brakes as much as possible and had very minimal squeal. I think one more set of magnets on each side should work for sure. The whole deal cost me about $16(USD) at Ace Hardware. Hope this doesn't screw with any of the anti-lock sensors.
  • kennyg789kennyg789 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2002 Sienna having problem when refueling gas at the gas station. Gas pump stopped pumping gas as if my gas tank is full, even though it is still near empty. I have to refuel very very slowly in order to get the gas into the tank. I have tried to fully refuel the gas tank to get the air out as suggested by gas stations. However, same problem happened on next refuel. It has been two months since I had the problem, on multiple gas stations and with every gas refuel.
    Any suggestion on what would be the problem.

Thanks,
    Larry, NYC
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ok, I did a search here - seems to be a Ford problem usually and has something to do with the design of the gas tank on Fords:

pepper52 Sep 13, 2000

Did you bottom out the van two months ago or otherwise hit something that may have damaged the tank? (I think you're saying this problem just started 2 months ago?). You may have to get a mechanic to drop the tank or check the filler neck.

Or maybe just a vent problem? Anyone?

Steve, Host
  • kennyg789kennyg789 Member Posts: 3
    It started two months ago. It may have been close to emptying the gas tank before refueling two months ago. Does that cause slow-fueling problem? But, did not hit something. I may have to bring my car in for service. Wondering whether it is still covered under warranty. I have just passed 39K miles on my car.

Thanks,
    Larry, NYC
    Along with the rattling slider door, whistling air conditioner, clackety clack of the seats, the humming/squealing of the rear brakes, and the rotor problem I can now add a creaking sound from the front EVERY time I go over a speed bump. If I go over slow you hear the creaking....any faster than 2 mph and there's a horrible clunk.

I truly have to believe that this things a lemon. All the above on a 2 1/2 year old car with only 22,000 miles on the odometer!
  • romie1romie1 Member Posts: 2
    When I need to take my foot off the gas (of my 2004 Sienna), because there's traffic ahead, so that I'm "coasting", then put my foot back on the gas there is a clunk that I can hear and feel in my foot on the gas pedal. This happens at all speeds and is really annoying. Is anyone else experiencing this? Otherwise the transmission seems fine. No help so far from the dealer.
  • kwcdreamerkwcdreamer Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Sienna LE. In 2001, it stalled in the middle of the road, towed into dealer and got a new transmission after 30K miles. A month later, van stalled in the middle of the road again, dealer put in another re-built transmission. Last Wednesday, slightly over 60K miles, van stalled, van towed, 3rd transmission on board. Since just past 60K, not qualify for Lemon Law.
    BUT, one common factor before all failure, heavy rain. Don't know if anyone have similar experience?
  • gilda1gilda1 Member Posts: 3
    In response to post #2684 we are interested in trying your fix for this problem. We have experienced nothing but the runaround from our dealer. We bought our 99 Sienna used with 28,000 miles on it. The brake squeal began right after it passed the 36,000 mile point. We've spent $400 on useless stuff that did not fix the problem. Now they want another $500 to replace the back drums and shoes. We want to try your solution first. Question... Do you put the magnets on the round plate that attaches to the axle or to the round edge of the drum? Thanks for any help you can give us.