Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• anna15anna15 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for responding. Actually just yesterday I got a letter from NCDS (the people who are handling the arbitration) with a reponse from Toyota in it. It says "Toyota has redesigned the rear drums for the brake squeal noise. We would like to install the new, redesigned drums." They said that if I'm willing to do this then to contact my dealer and they would make arrangements for the replacement. Like you said it's too early to tell if it really works. My concern is the problem will go away and then six months later the squeal will come back. Then my warranty will be up and I'm scared that I will have no more options. So I'm undecided as of now. But like everyone else is saying please keep us posted.
  • jon1477jon1477 Member Posts: 11
    THERE ARE NO NEW DRUMS OR SHOES OR BACKING PLATES TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.THIS IS THE FIX BELOW.HAVE THEM PREFORM THIS AND THE NOISE WILL GO AWAY. NOT TO MANEY DEALERS KNOW THIS FIX AND IT IS NOT A RELEASED FIX DUE TO THE FACT IT IS NOT A SAFETY ITEM. PLEASE HAVE THEM DO THIS.YOU WILL THANK ME LATER.

1.remove rear brake shoes
    2.locate the contact points on the backing plate
    (where the shoe hits the backing plate)
    3.see how it is checkred grind it down till smooth and lube use nissan gold break grease between the plate and shoe
    4.sand sharp edges of shoes a little
    5.reassemble rear brakes
    6.machine rear drums
    7.install rear drums
    8.adjust brakes
    9.road test
  • mayerofrfmayerofrf Member Posts: 33
    So you're calling the grind job an "unoffical" fix. But on your second post to anna15 you're saying to have the dealer do the work. Is there a Technical Service Bulletin tied to this yet? If not, how will this affect warranty? Just curious....I just have concerns over losing any warranty over something like this.
    YES TOYOTA HAS NO OFFICAL POSTION ON THIS FIX.
    BUT IF YOUR DEALER CALLS TECH ASSIST OR THERE FACTORY FEILD SREVICE TECH NOT THE REP BUT THE TECH. THAY SHOULD KNOW ABOUT THIS. THE PROBLEM IS THEM DOING IT BECAUSE THAY KNOW IT IS A PROBLEM BUT NOT A SAFTEY PROBLEM IT EFFECTS EVERY VAN AND TAKES ABOUT 2 HOURS TO DO THATS A LOT OF MONEY. THE BS SLUDGE RECALL KILLED THEM ON $$$ PAYING FOR THE CUSTOMERS WHO NEGLECTED THERE VECHILES.

IF THAY PRINT ANYTHING ABOUT THIS NOISE OR FIXING THE NOISE IT BECOMES A LEGAL PUBLIC DOCUMENT THEN THAY MUST DO SOMETHING. BUT IF THAY IGNORE IT IS NOT A SAFTEY ISSUE SO OH WELL.

WHAT STATE ARE YOU FROM

ANYWAY THIS IS THE FIX BRING IT TO YOUR DEALER TELL THEM WHAT TO DO IF THAY GIVE YOU A PROBLEM HAVE THEM CALL THERE FIELD REP OR TECH ASSIST TO VERIFY THE FIX GOOD LUCK
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    >>>THE BS SLUDGE RECALL KILLED THEM ON $$$ PAYING FOR THE CUSTOMERS WHO NEGLECTED THERE VECHILES.<<

Let me tell you something. Our Avalon has been meticously maintained by both our dealer and myself. I have always changed oil at least every 3000 miles, and yet we had the sludge problem.

It's strange to hear that the sludge problem almost bankrupt the almost perfect, most reliable car manufacturer on the planet (at least how some Toyota owners feel brag).

Besides the power windows that work when they want, the sway bar links that need replacing every 18K, the rotors that warp on misty nights, the transmission that shifts like a Honda Accord and been apart twice, the ABS that is the worst in the business, the moldings that have fallen off, the rust on the trunk lid, the heater core that failed, the water leak at the windshield, and the dozen or so rattles, our Avalon has been a perfect car!!

Dusty
  • jasdmwjasdmw Member Posts: 118
    I noticed recently that the 2 struts supporting the rear liftgate on my '01 are rusting. No effect on operation yet, but rust is eating away at the metal on the very bottom of the 2 struts. Anyone else see this? Is it an issue? Has a strut leaked? Any info is appreciated.
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    i have noticed it too along with some rust on the inside mechanism (one attached to the body )of the sliding doors. I spray some lubricant.
    I NEVER SAID THE BS SLUDGE RECALL BANKRUPT TOYOTA I JUST SAID IT COST THEM A LOT OF MONEY. WOW YOU SEEM REALY UNHAPPEY WITH YOUR TOYOTA I AM SUPRISED YOU DIDN'T TRY TO GET IT BOUGHT BACK. LIKE YOU SAID
     (Let me tell you something. Our Avalon has been meticously maintained by both our dealer and myself. I have always changed oil at least every 3000 miles, and yet we had the sludge problem)
       AND I AM SURE YOU HAVE EVERY INVOICE FOR THOSE TIMES WHEN YOU (DID IT YOUR SELF)

AS FAR AS THE TRANS I USED TO WORK FOR HONDA NOT EVEN CLOSE PAL. THE ONLY THING THAY DO THE SAME IS TURN THE WHEELS OTHER THAN THAT COMPLETLY DIFFERENT
       IF YOUR TRANS SHIFTS LIKE A HONDA IT IS BECAUSE THE ECU IS TRYING TO LEARN YOUR ABUSIVE PATTERN

THE BRAKES I WILL GIVE YOU THAY ARE NOT MADE TO HANDLE CUSTOMER ABUSE AVALON SHOULD HAVE TUNDRA BRAKES

WHY DID YOU RESPOND TO ME AGINE

DO YOU HAVE A SIENNA??? DO YOU KNOW THE REAR BREAK SQUEAL FIX???

WELL I DO AND I JUST WANTED TO HELP THESE PEOPLE OUT
  • kgnw1kgnw1 Member Posts: 94
    IT IS RUDE TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS AND IT'S HARD TO READ. Type in all lower case if you don't want to properly punctuate.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Why do you assume that I've abused our Avalon? Actually, this car's been treated better than any we've owned in the past, and it's never been abused. No, we drive it quite sedately and that's just one more thing that bother's me.

Another thing is the GM parts that Toyota uses. We now have a radiator leak. GM. And the wheels have corroded so bad that we've had to replace one because it wouldn't hold air. GM.

A '99 at 64,000 miles. And don't tell me that we've got the only Avalon that's had transmission problems, because I know better!
    I am suprised you didn't try to get your avalon bought back? It seems that you have so maney problems with it oh well.

good luck getting them fixed

To all the sienna owners out there I hope you preformed the fix i gave you for your rear brakes if you have any questions for me on it you can e-mail me.
  • pemarshpemarsh Member Posts: 68
    Does anyone have a problem with their Sienna pulling left..no matter how many times they allign it???
    Have thay crossed the front tires you could have a tire pull???
  • daddybendaddyben Member Posts: 2
    After some experimentation, I realized that my attempts to modify the storage pocket on the overhead console would not only be in vain, but also ridiculous. Since then, I have mounted the DVD player on the passenger headrest and it is wonderful.

Now I need the storage pocket to replace the one I destroyed. I would be willing to buy the entire console is necessary.

This is the overhead console with rear audio package. Beige/Sand/Shale color only, please. I only need the plastic parts and not the electronics.

I'll check back after the holidays.

Thanks.
  • denmarkjensendenmarkjensen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Sienna XLE. I bought a power inverter so I could use my TV/VCR for long trips for the kids. It has worked for a couple of months now. Recently, there was no power coming from the inverter. As I flipped the switch to on, the light just flashed and there was no power to the TV. I checked the 15 amp fuse which was blown and replaced with another which blew again. I then replaced the fuse with a 30 amp fuse and it still blew. Does anyone have any suggestions? Why would it work before and not now? I don't know much about vehicles but am a quick study. PLEASE help. My kids are going to kill me, or vice versa if I can't get this fixed!

Thanks!
  • p80p80 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,

The thumping noise that I noticed, from the 2nd day of driving my Sienna, was NOT due to a "flat spot" from parking too long. It was a defective (new) Dunlop tire that had a patch of rubber (the size of my hand and about 1 cm deep) that had somehow separated from the tire. The dealer replaced this tire with a new one at no charge.

Although this is a Dunlop tire issue, I had expected better QUALITY control from Toyota. Also, if I had listened to the dealer, I would still be driving my Sienna and vainly hoping that after 2000km this "flat spot" would go away.

This was the second problem that I have had with my Sienna so far. The first was a small patch of "fogged" up clearcoat paint on the hood that was caused by the glue of the transit film/plastic. They fixed this using a heat lamp.

--------------original #2705 post-------------
    #2705 of 2770 New 2004 Sienna with Tire Thumping Noise by p80 Nov 28, 2003 (3:07 pm)
    Hi All,

I have just purchased a 2004 Sienna. On the second day of driving, a thumping noise and vibration have developed. This thumping is directly correlated with the speed of the vehicle. The dealer said it is probably because the steel belt on the front tire(s) (they are Dunlop SP4000 tires) have deformed from sitting too long in one position from storage. However, if this was the case, then why didn't I feel this thumping on the first day of driving? I didn't think the 2004 Sienna would have to be stored very long before being sold.

Has anyone experienced this problem?
    Is the dealer correct?

Thanks in advance.
  • aunebabeaunebabe Member Posts: 1
    I am sooo glad that there is a forum for car problems! We have a 2003 Sienna with 8500 miles on it. Be bought it in November of 2002 and since July (or before) it has been making a light and progressivly heavier squeal. I told the dealership about it during the August oil change and they said that there was nothing wrong with it, it was just dust on the brakes. I told them again at the oil change last week and made them write it in the work order. They said that they would wipe down the drums for me. It came back sounding even worse! We parked the sienna over the weekend and I called the dealership and toyota. The dealership got back in touch with me Thursday and said that toyota knows that there is a problem and that they are working on it. I told him that I wanted it in writing and he said that he couldn't do that because of liablitity issues and it was sufficient that I had contacted them about the problem. OK people, where do I go from here?
  • bigfrogbigfrog Member Posts: 27
    From what I here toyota is toying with a bulliten for sienna to come out late summer early fall. But then agine thay said this last year at the same meeting. Thay also never put anything about this on parer so far who knows.
  • scghokiescghokie Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if this is an issue in the 2004 year or is it too early to tell?

I have a 2002 and the brake noise is horrible. If it has been resolved in the redesigned 2004, I will more than likely trade up. I too have been told that there are redesigned brake drums coming in January '04. We will see.
  • buyer777buyer777 Member Posts: 70
    I have the OEM 215/65 AS 40 with about 23,000 miles and wearing. What is the latest thinking for replacement All Seasons.
  • gilda1gilda1 Member Posts: 3
    Eric,
    thanks for the advice. You have been a huge help. We have just a few more questions on those magnets used to stop the Sienna brake noise, squeal, and humming...

What type, dimensions,and weight are they? I have been to Lowes and the local hardware store and they don't have anything bigger than those used to decorate refrigerator doors. I have seen those rare earth magnets on ebay that are small (1"X1")and have tremendous force (N38) 100 pounds of pull, but I'm concerned about the effect this may have on the nearby ABS sensors. In a nutshell, are the magnets you used like the ceramic ones used in stereo speakers--but are they the heavier and rectangular metallic type? ( Length __" X Width__" X__" Depth)

Thanks So Much and Happy New Year,

Gilda1
    i replaced mine with BF goodrich control T/A M80 and so far this winter its been excellent. The wet traction is very good.
    The magnets I picked up were from Ace Hardware. It's a two pack and the dimesions are roughly 1" tall, 2" wide, 1/2" thick. If you change your profile to show your e-mail, then I'll send you some snapshots of what I did.
  • gilda1gilda1 Member Posts: 3
    Eric,
    I have changed our profile to show our e-mail... thanks for the info on the magnet trick, again. Please send us those snapshots of how you did that magnet fix. Also, FYI: our 99 Sienna passenger window motor went out about two years ago (At that time it was replaced under the warrauntee). No other problems, yet.

Darren
  • lulu15lulu15 Member Posts: 1
    eric:

were do the magnets go on the Sienna to stop the brake squiral noise?
  • cjmanicjmani Member Posts: 1
    Hi Eric...I own a 2000 Sienna XLE and have brought it into the dealer 3 times now with the same rear break squeal problem.....they still squeal. They have now referred me to an 800 # customer service dept.

I'm very curious as to your magnet solution and how it changes the resonant frequency of the backing plates. Can you email to me photos of where you installed them? Is this something a novice DYI'er can install? My email is CJMANI@YAHOO.COM

thanks,

Christian Mani
  • transbgonetransbgone Member Posts: 2
    I was returning over the holidays and my 2000 Sienna suddenly started running rough and the engine light came on. I made it home and took it to the dealer. He say's I need either a new engine or a complete rebuild costing around $5800. We've changed the oil every 3000 miles, and other routine maintenance. It has 68,000 miles on it and I can't believe it needs a new engine. It had it's transmission replaced at 30,000 miles under warranty and now this. Is this a Chrysler in disguise? I'm hoping Toyota can help me with this because this counters the main reason I bought a Toyota, quality and reliability. Any thoughts?
  • chellayhchellayh Member Posts: 5
    I bought a '98 Sienna in 2000 with about 35,000 miles on it. I love the van, but have had many probs. Replaced 6 tires and have 2 more need replacing,it won't stay in allignment. Engine rebuilt in Aug under warranty for sludge. Now the transmission has gone out and dealer says my VIN is not one of the ones covered. But we have moved so many times recently don't know if I should have gotten a letter. Does anyone have a phone number associated with the transmission warranty enhancement so I can get the denial from corporate. I know dealers don't get paid as much for warranty work, so I don't completely trust them.
    Set your E-mail to public in your profile and I'll e-mail you what I can.
    give me your vin i will run it for you
    To all sienna owners please don't use magnets for the break noise.Toyota has devolped a new drum and also the field techs request to grind the scored backing plate contact points smooth and apply nissan gold anyi-seiz on the contact points.If you need more info my e-mail is public feel free to contact me.
  • netcooper1netcooper1 Member Posts: 1
    I was opening the back liftgate of my 2001 Toyota Sienna with 60,000 miles and the liftgate handle made a loud cracking noise and the plastic broke. I called the dealer where I get the car serviced and they said the part was $67, plus $115 for installation. I was surprised since the dealer said this occurs fairly regularly and they keep several latches in stock. For a car that is a bit over four years old I was surprised that the latch would break and if Toyota knows that there is a recurring problem with the part that they haven't done anything to extend the warranty coverage. Oh well. Let me know if anyone knows how to install the handle so I can save the $115 installation charge by doing it myself.

Thanks.
  • jtlanejrjtlanejr Member Posts: 35
    the handle is easy to replace once you remove the rear inside panel. You also have to remove the side trim panels on either side of the rear window. there are three bolts - one for the pull strap and two for the handle that then allows the panel to be popped off. Then there are two 10mm nuts holding the external handle in place.
  • fran20fran20 Member Posts: 2
    Will Toyota post a bulletin/recall for the rear drum brakes noise? If so, Please post it on the board. Thanks.
  • chellayhchellayh Member Posts: 5
    When my transmission went out I was out-of-town (had to rent a car to get home so the kids can go back to school on Mon). Anyway since my dealer at home had been so wonderful about the sludge problem, I called them and asked them to check on the warranty extension. THE SERVICE MANAGER HAD NEVER HEARD OF IT! Anyway, I got home last night and checked my files and VOILA! A notice of warranty extension on my tranny! Needless to say both dealers will be given an earful, and I will be calling Toyota Monday, since I found the number after posting my message.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    Trashbgone, are you aware of the Toyota engine sludge policy? If the demise of your engine is due to sludge, your repairs are covered under a policy for 8 years from the original purchase date, unlimited miles. Actually, you should have received a letter about this. You just need to prove that you have done reasonable maintenance and you are covered. Incidentals (rental car, etc.) are also covered.

Signs of possible engine sludge are:

Check engine light illuminates.
    Smoke in exhaust, usually blue and at start up.
    Heavy use of oil
    Thick black ooze on dipstick or around filler cap.

There were several long discussion topics on Toyota sludge on Edmunds. Try doing a search using the key word "sludge".
    It's official; we have the permanent (I hope) solution to the squealing problem. I just had my scheduled maintenance done and mentioned the squeal once more. Upon pick up of my van, a notation on the invoice showed new drums are on order, per "TSB". Unfortunately did not specify the number. Will be done at my convenience, next week. I'll advise if this is really the fix.
  • zebra5zebra5 Member Posts: 47
    I can't get a straight answer on this one: will installing leather by the distributor or dealer on an '04 LE eight passenger, with the safety package (#7, or BW) impair the function of the side row air curtains? One salesman told me it would (and that they wouldn't offer leather as an option), and another told me he's sold one before.
  • lalalalalalalalalala Member Posts: 30
    My husband drives a dark red sedan with charcoal gray leather seats. In the summer here in Texas, the car gets so hot, the seats melt crayon that my son left in the car. One time, my husband had to go to the doctor because he is in the hot seat too long (the A/c does not cool it fast enough). Leather seats are a health hazard in the sun belt, imo.
  • hatemytoyhatemytoy Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have one??? I hate to pay dealer prices! If you know where I can find one please post the info. Thank you!!
  • wicnutwicnut Member Posts: 4
    For my first new car, I decided to buy Toyota because of what Toyota stands for, quality. I was so excited. All my life I've had used cars.
    So I purchased a Sienna 2002 because at the time the dealership was offering 0 financing for 3 years. This was the first I'd heard of it.

Anyway, my first problem (and not my last) I had to get my rotors changed at 32,000. "How could this be", I asked the service guy at the dealership. "It's a new car." His explanation was, "it could be your driving habits" or "not all the parts are made 100% the same way." So does it mean it's a defect to begin with, I'm thinking to myself. So they tried to resurface it, but for whatever reason, they couldn't. Therefore they had to replace the rotors. I was not happy about this, but I had them replaced without putting up a big fuss. Then 39,000 miles I had to get the same exact rotors replaced again! At this point I'm was mad as hell. The same explanation was given to me. I complained to the National Toyota several times and they said they would get in contact with the customer relations person of that dealership. I never heard from them. No letters, no calls.

After having the rotors replaced the first time, I still had the feeling that the car was not running right. I brought the car in again and then was then told that it was the rotors AGAIN and that they would have to be replaced a second time. Believing what they told me, I had the rotors replaced again. I was told that everything was fixed and I should be all set because they took it for a test drive and everything checked out fine. Shortly, after driving the "fixed" Sienna off the lot, I noticed that he problem was still there. I immediately called them back. They asked me to bring in the van and have a test drive with one of the managers there. So I did. It didn't take him very long to figure out what was wrong. This time they said it was my wheel bearings! I asked him why it was not diagnosed at the last visit. His answer to me was, "I don't know, I was not there." I wonder if these technicians who worked on my car really knew what they are doing.
    So far I've had quite a bit of work on my car and I'm beginning to wonder if this is a quality vehicle Owning my first new car has been one disappointment after another. My trust in Toyota is gone. I talked with friends and family members who own Toyota cars and they are very surprised that I'm having so many problems with my new car.

After numerous complaints to the National headquarters,I finally got in touch the customer relation representative at the dealership. She denied of getting any memos from National Toyota office. I briefly explained my concerns and looked for answers. She did expressed some understanding about my frustration and said she would look into it. She said she would get in touch with her supervisor and figure out what was wrong with the car through all my visits. She said she would get back to me. After several weeks I still had not heard back from her. I got no response.

I just want some answers to why I'm having these problems with a new Toyota car. Any suggestion would be helpful or should I pursue arbitration for this matter?
  • jiggamanjiggaman Member Posts: 2
    Hi Eric,
  • jiggamanjiggaman Member Posts: 2
    Hi Eric,
           I also have the same squealing problem on my 2002 Sienna Symphony. Can you email me the directions and some pics of the installation? Thanks alot! My email is beaveman145@hotmail.com
    Hi!

I had a 30,000 maintenance done. As part of this maintenance, Toyota service tech. had checked the brake lining/drums and brake pads/discs. At 32,000 miles I had the front rotors replaced due to heavy pulsation. Would that problem be detected back then during the 30,000 maintenance? I'm not a mechanic, but I personally would think so. Am I right?
    No definitive answer, but it's possible that in the intervening 2000 miles of driving you or any other driver had to make a serious emergency type stop. That may have been enough to overheat the rotors which typically results in warping, especially those with 30K miles of wear. Just a guess, though. Checking the rotors won't necessarily identify a warping problem. Surface wear, gouging, pitting, improper pad wear, brake piston probs. fluid leaks, etc. are most likely what they'll look for. If they road tested it, that would be where the pulsating would be identified. If you didn't complain about it, chances are they won't find it.
    hi jasdmw!
    thank you for your input on the rotors. i have another question to you or anyone else can answer my question. like i said i had the rotors changed at 32,000 miles. i was not happy that i had to get it replaced so soon. i am a gentle driver. i don't drag race or go slamming on my brakes or riding my brakes all the time. at 39,000 miles later i had to get the same rotors replaced. i asked toyota service guy "how could it be that i had to get it replaced the second time?" his answer to me was that it could have been a defective part from the manufacture. this was one of the explaination he gave the first time around. what are the chances of this happening to me twice in the row. What do you or anyone else think about this? soon after that, maybe at 40,000 miles i had to get my wheel bearings replaced. i thought wheel bearings are suppose to last longer then that. any info on wheel bearing or bad experience with this let me know. thanks!
    My '01 van has 74500 KM (44000 miles) on the clock. Other than the rear drum squeal (which is being repaired tomorrow), I have had no issues with brakes or wheel bearings. All original, never a problem. Living in the area around Toronto, Ontario, we get lots of diffrent weather. Right now the roads are a mix of slush and salt, very bad for exposed metal which is what rotors are. I live in a new development and the roads are covered with mud and dirt which also does exposed brake parts little good.

I'm not following what you said above. Did you mean that you had a 3rd set of rotors put on at 39000 mi or at 39000 miles later (i.e., 71000 miles)? If you had them replaced at 39000 miles, I would suggest that they should still be under warranty, which might explain why your mechanic speculated that this set was defective. In my opinin, rotors are a very important piece of the stopping system of the car. They are notorious for wear and susceptable to all manner damage because of the environment in which they exist, but quality should be right up there. Did they install Toyota parts or aftermarket? I'm assuming this work was done at a Toyota dealership.

Other questions; did you own this van since new or buy it used or was it a demonstrator? Did they explain why wheel bearings needed to be replaced? You the only driver? Ever been in an accident or bump the curb? Did they replace the bearings on just one side or both? What were the symptoms that made you bring it back in for the 3rd set of rotors? All this work sounds a bit fishy to me.
    my sienna (2000) has radio controls on the steering wheel. in the morning i found the MODE button (that switches between CD,AM,FM1 & FM2) doesnt seem to be functioning. If i leave it on FM and hit mode it goes to Cd and thats it. It doesnt cycle through the different modes. Could someone tell me the order of cycle. CD-->Am-->FM1-->FM2 or something else. What i am trying to determine is from FM1 should it go to FM2 before going to CD or does it always start on CD irrespective of which mode is currently on. Thanks.
  • 32valveuser32valveuser Member Posts: 31
    I would venture to say that when the tech did your rotor replacement the first time he messed up the bearings. When he reinstalled the old bearings onto the new replacement rotors he may have gotten a grain of sand mixed in when he did the repacking. Also, lets say the bearing were bad to begin with and caused the first rotor to go bad then replacing the rotors while keeping the bad bearings would cause the rotors to go bad again. Also, further someone could have foced the rotor off at one point and messed up the bearings then. Each rotor has a iner and out bearing. Were just the iners bad or all 4. It sounds like you are in good shape now if I understand you have new bearings rotors pads grease fluid.