Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• lulu9lulu9 Member Posts: 154
    Yeah, I chuckled after I posted that. To confirm, it was the Prelude that was in great shape physically...not its owner (Yep...I summed that "part" of the equation up immediately...women do that too, ya know). Otherwise, my destiny could have changed dramatically in that moment, and how poetic a beginning!

I find it quite fascinating to examine the similarities between cars and people in terms of care and maintenance. Like cars, people can look so much older or younger than their actual age. Sometimes the difference is downright shocking or amazing.

Even though the gym I go to most of the time is an all-women's facility, the same owners have several co-ed gyms in the area as well. Every so often, I'll see an older man in really great shape, which reminds me that, yes, it can be done! And he can be done! ;) (He's probably being done all the time!)

Just like that guy in the Bo Flex commercial a few years back. He really got my attention! :blush: ).

I am always impressed when I see an older car that's been well cared for. It's a reflection of pride in ownership.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    You held out until now to tell us of your speeding escapades? Cmon Girl! We need to know these things! Cruising at high speeds is actually part of what makes the Prelude such a well balanced car.

It can attack any set of curves at any time, but also has a rock solid (dare I say Germanic) highway ride that doesn't wander at any speeds (that I've driven anyway).

A few years ago my best friend and I took my Prelude down to Hilton Head, SC for a few days. He used to have a Prelude (White '92 Si Automatic), but had been out of it for a long time. We drove at speeds slightly exceeding the posted limit and he was extremely impressed with how well the Prelude held the road and how comfortable the seats were after many hours of driving. At the time his ride was a Sport Package Equipped Audi A4 3.0 Quattro.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

One more comment for consideration.

An "orphan" equates to having no parents/being deprived of parents. Just because Honda stopped giving birth to Preludes does not mean that they have abandoned their offspring. For whatever reason, you decided to paint a very bleak scenario.

Theoretically, for example, if I happen to have my Prelude 10 years from now, I would like to think--and in fact have every confidence--that the folks at American Honda would help me find a solution to repairing my car--if my repair is so convoluted and involved that my mechanic could not figure it out. (But I find that hard to believe.)

My friend who owns the Del Sol? For the last three years, she's been planning on getting another car. It's just that her Del Sol won't quit! It's go to have at least 200,000 at this point! (too bad the odometer broke at 180,000.)

She keeps waiting for the "next big thing" to go wrong with the engine, but it's not happening! And when you've had a car for that length of time and put that many miles on it, a funny thing happens. It becomes an appendage of sorts. It's not even about the money any more. This little car has earned her loyalty (my goodness, 200,000!), and it's hard to "dump" something that's been so good to you for so many years--and continues to perform reliably.

It will be interesting to see how much longer she keeps her car, which will be until it dies. Pretty amazing, actually, because Honda didn't make the Del Sols for too many years, and there aren't that many of them.
    today. It is a family tradition of ours to go to the NY Auto Show on Easter Sunday. It was our son's first (although he paid much more attention to the lights than the cars). Walking around the floor of the famed (or is it infamous) Javitz Center you can't help but think...WHAT IF?

So I'm going to hand out some awards based on the cars I was checking out:

-Most likely to replace my Prelude if it was stolen (or shall we say borrowed without permission): MINI Cooper S

-Most likely to replace my Prelude if it were to be totalled (heaven forbid): The CPO E46 330i ZHP

-Completely impractical car I'd love to own but will probably never have the chance to: BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe

-Most likely for me to steal off the floor when nobody's looking: Porsche 911 Carrera S Coupe

-Most likely for me to own as a 3rd car (in the very distant future in a galaxy far, far away): Mazda Miata w/ retractable hard top

-Car I would most likely donate a major organ for: Ferrari F430

Now back to reality, we did check out some fine rides to replace my wife's 2000 Mazda Protege ES (in about 2 years' time):

BMW X3 3.0si, Land Rover LR2, Toyota 4Runner, & Mazda 6 Wagon

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I really enjoyed reading your post...the creation of your "Most Likely" awards. How clever! (Your son will be adding some awards of his own in the not-too-distant future!)

I had to laugh out loud at the "Car I would most likely donate a major organ for" award. (Such a lustful creature you are!)

Well, isn't that what the car show is all about? To stoke those primal fires?

BTW, your reality in two year's time is certainly not shabby by any means.
    Loved reading this post so much that I'm copying and pasting the entire thing. Bring it on, dude! And you waited this long to talk Prelude to me?

"You held out until now to tell us of your speeding escapades? Cmon Girl! We need to know these things! Cruising at high speeds is actually part of what makes the Prelude such a well balanced car.

It can attack any set of curves at any time, but also has a rock solid (dare I say Germanic) highway ride that doesn't wander at any speeds (that I've driven anyway).

A few years ago my best friend and I took my Prelude down to Hilton Head, SC for a few days. He used to have a Prelude (White '92 Si Automatic), but had been out of it for a long time. We drove at speeds slightly exceeding the posted limit and he was extremely impressed with how well the Prelude held the road and how comfortable the seats were after many hours of driving. At the time his ride was a Sport Package Equipped Audi A4 3.0 Quattro."

Now this is the stuff that's near and dear to my heart! ;)

Don't think for a minute that I'm a girl driving a guy's car like a girl. No way! Being an adrenaline junkie, a certain amount of fearlessness and guts goes with the territory, so I love speed, acceleration, handling--anything high T--anything that makes my heart race. No coincidence that skiing was a big thing with me for quite a number of years.

When my friend shared with me her test drive experience of the S2000 in thrilling detail, I just knew that owning a car like that (or any of the cars you mention in your awards...even more so) would be like getting a strong dose of some amazing mood enhancing drug every time I got behind the wheel! With these cars, there's got to be an addictive element going on for people wired a certain way, don't you think? What better way to achieve a natural high?

Dare you say Germanic? Well, funny you should mention that because ex, who drove my car home from Long Island for me (while I followed) is both German and a German car afficionado (but not a snob refreshingly...he just appreciates fine machinery, ingenuity, and exceptional design), and his comment was that my Prelude really blew his skirt up, both mechanically and the way it drove. So now whenever he calls, instead of how are you, he's teasingly asks, "How's my car?" :P

Yeah, when I was finally able to get up to 100 mph just to feel the engine at that speed (because traffic was minimal), the first thing I noticed was how squirrely (bad) the tires felt. Actually, my tires don't feel confident even at 65 mph--especially in the rain--so I knew that driving at 100 mph would feel dangerous--and it did--all because of the tires--a real buzz-kill. A situation soon to be addressed!
    Don't think for a minute that I'm a girl driving a guy's car like a girl. No way!

The thought NEVER crossed my mind :P

I just paid $3.059 (to be exact) self-serve (premium...of course).

Is gas over the $3 mark in your area as well?
    I think I paid $3.11 the other day. Nothing you can do about it except grin and bear it until September.

• timothyawtimothyaw Member Posts: 148
    Hello everyone, I'm back. I've been very busy with work. If my main job isn't busy enough, my part time weekend deicing job is keeping me busy. I thought spring was here, oh well!
    I paid $3.04 for premium. Sounds like we're all in the same ballpark. It hurts, but I'll continue to use 93(in my area) no matter what. Just like NYC said, it's what's called for.
    Another note about gas, I was in L.A. the other week. $3.04 for premium is cheap compared to out there. At the "cheap" stations I was paying $3.19 for 87. Premium was about $3.40 at the shell's etc. They are talking about $4.00/gallon out there this summer. Now that would hurt.
    Thanks for reporting that. Yeah, that does make me feel a little better! According to NYC, this is our reality until September! Oh well. Compared to what Europeans pay, we're still paying bargain prices.

On a separate note, I'm curious--because women have inquiring minds--and inquiring minds need to know :P : What is your part-time deicing job? Is that a typo or an occupation I'm not familiar with?

Welcome back!
    Inquire away, I don't mind! I deice airplanes at the airport. While you're nice and warm and toasty in the airplane, I'm out there making sure you have a safe flight. I've gotton used to the cold by now, it's my third year doing it. I enjoy it most times, except when it's very windy and the fluid is blowing back in my face lol.
    It's a total 180 degrees of my IT system administrator main job, it's good to change it up some. Plus the extra money doesn't hurt :)
    Duh! Oh brother...I can be so thick-headed. Now I really feel silly (so what else is new on these boards?)! :blush:

In my (overly) grammatical world, which can obviously be limiting at times, it did not occur to me that deicing is de-icing. I saw "deicing" as a form of dicing or slicing--as in you are a part-time butcher or work in a slaughter house. OMG...Isn't that funny?

Gosh...I would last for about five minutes in that job because of cold intolerance. Do you use a hose to melt the ice off planes? Is that how it works?

That's o.k. NYC...you can have a laugh at my expense. It's a blessing that I don't take myself too seriously. :P
    Don't feel bad. There was a guy who used to post here on the Prelude board named "himiler." He was very knowledgeable about the Prelude & cars in general. I think in a year and a half he put close to 130,000 miles on his '01 Base Prelude. I always thought his handle "himiler" referenced the fact that he was a German WWII history buff. Himiler was very high up in the German army. One day I found out that himiler actualy meant High Miler as in he drives A LOT of miles!

That's ok, I have similar moments as well. Yes the liquid we use to melt the ice is like the glycol we use in the radiators in our cars. We heat the glycol to a 180 degrees, and ice, snow etc melts away.
    NYC, I know you got a new clutch installed not long ago. Is the clutch you installed heavier than the light OEM one? I was just curious.
    That's funny! Thanks for helping me out, but I would have taken the name "Himiler" the same way you did--as the high ranking German officer. That would have been my source of reference. There are a lot of WWII history buffs out there, having dated one of them. (Gee, it must sound/seem like I really get around." :blush:

Thing is about men: They're (you're) always "really into" at least one thing. It's an amusing and endearing quality. So, from a woman's standpoint, it's an opportunity to be exposed to something she would have never have considered before.
    No, my clutch doesn't feel heavier than stock at all. I just know it is a "stronger" clutch than the OEM Honda clutch. The takeup is actually smoother - imo.

lulu9: Timothy and I are keeping tabs on your love life ;)

NYC, when you say "stronger" what do you mean exactly? Does it pull harder, what? If you don't mind, give me a list of differences between the OEM clutch and the one you have please. I would appreciate it.
    That's an interesting question you asked NYC--about the weight of his clutch.

Now I'm thinking (and wondering) about something I've never thought about before! See? You just made my point from my previous post. Men!

That's an interesting "writing assignment" you gave NYC...to describe the feel of his after-market clutch. Hmmm. I will see what I can come up with once I get back from the gym. Now that will be a boring read!

BTW, your height must be quite an advantage at your deicing job. Now when I look at the word the way you spell it, it makes sense. :)
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Been away for awhile; did not mean to be blunt about my orphan comment. A Honda will be less of a problem than most cars, especially mechanically, but over time everything will be harder to find and progressively more expensive.

We always use Shell 93 octane gas.

Do not skimp on tires. My wife liked Bridgestones on her Prelude because they seemed to be a good wet weather tire, even in light snow. Lately I have stayed with Michelin PS2s on my BMW. This fall I intend to get dedicated winter tires and wheels.
    1. Press clutch all the way down with foot to shift gears.
    2. Shift up or down to desired speed.
    3. Release clutch.

The end

Welcome to my world. :blush:
    I can't believe I left out the most important part of my description.

1A. Position foot on clutch in such a way that heel does not interfere with range of motion.

I'll bet you guys aren't aware of THIS special technique, which would be impressive if you saw a demo! ;)
    OK, here's what little I know about clutches. They're rated as a percentage stronger than stock. My Centerforce Clutch is rated at 90% stronger than stock.

The difference between my stock clutch and my Centerforce as far as everyday drivability goes is minimal. Like I said before, the takeup is much smoother & it grabs at a slightly lower (& more precise) point. Keep in mind I also put in a new Honda Flywheel & Throwout bearing to keep it normal. It isn not stiff at all.

Why the clucth questions? Are you experiencing problems with your clutch?

Thanks for the reply, no clutch problems here. I was just wondering when the time DOES come to replace it, I will be knowledgeable about the different types. I guess I'm just used to "grabbier" ones. Nothing is wrong, it's just "different" from what I'm used to is all. I will be doing more research as times goes on. When the time comes, I will replace it with a stronger one.
    Lulu, I like your enthusiasm for cars! I would love to do a drive with you and NYC sometime, that way we can get you to open her up so to speak. Have you done that yet? I love it when the VTEC engages, it's just something about it.
    As far as my height helping with the deicing, oh yeah it makes a difference. Of course you can't be afraid of heights with this job. I'm going to use that job to start paying for minor mods to my cars. I want the mod NYC has to make our incredible handing even better. What is it called NYC?
    Suspension Techniques Sway Bars (they are actually anti-roll bars). They are thicker than the stock Prelude Type SH Anti Roll Bars and help the car handle much more neutral. They also come with urethane suspension bushings that actually smooth out the ride a tad. The urethane suspension bushings will also last longer than the stock rubber ones.

When you're ready, if you can't find a speed shop that carries suspension techniques, I'll give you my guy's number and I'm sure he'll ship them to you.

Thanks, I appreciate that. That's probably number one on my mod list. Truthfully, that's about the ONLY mod I'll make! Well other than clutch, when the time comes. I'm not into heavily modifying cars, Honda did pretty well with the finished product IMO.
    I used to be a die hard "keep it stock guy." The engineers at Honda, BMW, or Porsche know a heckuva lot more than I do. Then you realize that even in a very well executed car like the Prelude, the engineers had to make compromises for the lawyers & bean counters.

For me it started out with something as simple as the tires. I knew that if I was going to run dedicated winter tires (which I still have on and haven't had time ro change), that I didn't need to replace the Potenzas with "All Seasons" when they wore out. My Yokohamas are leaps and bounds better than the stock Bridegstones they replaced.

Then came the exhaust. Hondas are great cars but the parts ain't cheap (one of the reasons Hondas are among the most stolen cars in the USA). I had the option to replace it with the stock exhaust or spend some more dough and get the phenomenal Apexi World Sport Stainless Steel Cat Back system that I went with.

When I learned the fate (and cost) of my clutch, I knew I wanted something better. The guy I deal with did the research for me and gave the Centerforce his seal of approval.

The sway bars are something I've wanted for a few years and they've really tightened up the handling of the car over the stock ones.

I would put a new suspension in the car if pieces on mine wear out (shocks) and I'm definitely going to upgrade the brakes when their time is up (Almost 5 years & 81+K miles on the original pads & rotors).

Body kits and big spoilers aren't my thing.

Me again.

A few questions:

What is a "speed shop?" Please enlighten. :blush: Is that a mechanic who specializes in modifying cars?

Based on previous posts (if I recall correctly), you went with the Suspension Techniques Sway Bars based on the recommendation from your place in White Plains, correct?

Also, what I like about this particular modification (besides the fact that it improves handling) is that you're adding an enhancement--not replacing an existing OEM part. Is my thinking correct?

Tomorrow I'm taking my car in to my mechanic for it's first 7,500 mile check-up (the yellow light is now on). Not that I put that many miles on since I've had it, but I want him to go over the car anyway--check everything--in the event it needs anything. Plus it needs an oil change, and I have sworn myself off those quick change oil/lube places because I can't be trusted! :P

Next step is tires. I hate getting rid of "perfectly good" tires, i.e., these tires have A LOT of wear left on them! But NYC has convinced me that they're not appropriate tires for this car. Case in point: I cannot drive confidently in snow (that's an understatement), rain (and the rainy season is now upon us), or beyond 75 MPH on clear days. So I'm rationalizing this purchase from the standpoint of the tires being a safety issue AND hinder my car's natural performance capabilities, which, therefore, affects my overall enjoyment of the car.

It's always interesting for me to see the modifcations that others make to our cars. For instance, I enjoyed looking at the "enhancements" that the Canadian had done to his car (the one he posted for sale several weeks ago). It's like looking at a woman who's wearing the same dress, but she has given it a completely different look due to accessorizing. (Not that I would ever want to be caught wearing the same dress as another woman!) It's a learning experience for me too--to be made aware of our Prelude's modification possibilities.

I'm now thinking about when (at what point) my clutch engages or "grabs." It's like tightening your butt muscles on a power walk--something you're not normally conscious about, but once you're made aware of the mechanical action, you're more in sync (mindful) with the process.

Timothy: I'm very curious about this: How does your Integra compare with the Prelude? Is it basically the same car, or are there discernible differences?

NYC: Have you put your Yokohama's on yet?? :)

Isn't the weather we've been having since Saturday spectacular?
    I just posted something, but would have amended what I just wrote had I read your latest posting.
    before you go running out to replace your bridgestone potenzas, I do want to let you know that I waited until they were well worn before I replaced them with the Yokos. I wouldn't get rid of the tires unless the money is really burning a hole in your pocket(book).

Speed Shop: DING DING DING! You got it!

Sway Bars: The aftermarket anti-roll bars replace the stock anti-roll bars (these are sometimes refered to as sway bars).

The weather has been nothing short of phenomenal!

Are 2 completely different cars. They are both made by Honda and are both FWD, that's where the similarities end.

The Integra was built on the Civic Platform and therefore was lighter (especially timothy's '92 GSR) and cheaper for Honda (economies of scale).

The Prelude was built on a dedicated platform which was very expensive for Honda to produce and import into the US. Honda actually lost money on the Prelude.

• stevenh7stevenh7 Member Posts: 33
    Hello. This has probably been answered in the Forum already but I haven't had time to go through it entirely. Been driving Preludes since '97 (1997, 2000). I've finally hit the mileage point where I want to try something new. Can you give me any recommendations for a coupe or sedan (preferably a coupe) with the feel of the Prelude? I'm looking under $25,000. Considering the Solara (I know nothing like a Prelude but good price and comfortable)- looking for other suggestions.
    NYC summed up the physical aspect of the comparison pretty well. As he mentioned, the Prelude is a heavier (not heavy)car and I can tell. My Integra is light and more tossable. And the Integra has more of a raw feel, the Prelude is a little more refined. They are different cars and have a different feel, but they are both GREAT at what they are made to do. I wouldn't get rid of either one. As a matter of fact, I'm kinda see it as me building my own personal Honda museum! I still have a few more cars I want to add, but hopefully in time :)
    How many miles do you have on your '97 Prelude?

A Solara is basically a polar opposite of the Prelude. Heavy, plush, softly suspended...

At the top of my list I'd put a MINI COOPER S. Light, tossable, turbocharged. Free Maintenance for 3 years/36K miles. Basically a FWD BMW.

If you want to stay in the Honda family, there's the Civic Si Coupe.

You might also want to check out a Mazdaspeed 3 or the VW GTI.

Good luck and let us know what you go for.

The VW GTI actually made it to my "short list" of cars, but I'm not crazy about its shape--so I ruled that one out.

You might be interested in checking out Car & Driver's website. They have an article entitled, "Quickest Cars of 2007 for Less than $20,000."

Please don't take offense to this (coming from a chick), but I always saw the Solara as a "chick car," i.e., a girl's version of something sporty. I never test drove one, but I read the reviews, and its handling apparently leaves a lot to be desired.

Are you displeased with your Prelude, or are you just ready for something different?
    I'm not crazy about the shape of the 2 door GTI, but the 4 door is much better looking (IMHO).

I know I've posted before and until the time comes I'll post many different answers as I do plan to keep the car for as long as it wants to stick around.

We've got to get my wife and our little munchkin a new vehicle sometime in the next 2 years. I really dig the Land Rover LR2.

As for me: MINI COOPER S, BMW Z2 Roadster (built off the 1 series platform coming sometime in '09 or '10), BMW Z4 Roadster (if it is still around), or maybe if the come out with an M2 (BMW Motorsport Version of the upcoming 2 series coupe).

As mentioned yesterday, I dropped my car off today for it's first (with me) complete check-up and oil change--to the tune of $488. (The car apparently never had its 15,000 check.) The wonderful news is that my car is in excellent mechanical condition through and through.

Well, guess what? After all this bitching and moaning about the Bridgestone Potenza stock tires--how bad they feel to me under almost any condition, except sitting in the driveway--I'm told that I need new tires! In fact, he didn't see any point in rotating them...that's how little life they have left. So here I am, all these months, driving on not-great tires to begin with that ready to be replaced!

In my defense, I was told emphatically by my X when we picked up my car that "These have plenty of wear left." Gee, what is he trying to do...kill me? :cry: He must need new glasses! Also, in my defense, I am not a "tire tread expert." When he (X) pointed to the tread, I saw tread! (Could the tires have become worn down since then? Who knows!) The good news is that it's not an urgent situation, but rather, "You need to think about getting new tires soon."

I told my mechanic that I want a performance tire for the summer--that I'm not looking to go cheap--and he is strongly recommending the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2. He feels that it's an outstanding choice. Understandably, my mechanic also wants my tire business, and he gave me a price of $210 each, including mounting, balancing. (Yeah, I know...overpriced)

I just did some comparision shopping using The Tire Rack a my reference point, comparing this tire to NYC's tire (which is very highly rated :) ).

BTW, The Tire Rack sells this Pilot Exalto summer performance tire for $138 each, but then, of course, I have to pay for S&H, mounting, balancing.

Then I checked out Costco's website: They seem to have the best deal for this tire (I'm suprised they stock this one, actually.) Their price is $157, which includes mounting and balancing.

Costco does not sell the Yokohama AVS ES100.

So this is where I am right now...thinking about tires and relieved that my "gut feeling" all along was right on. Remember in one of my first posts I mentioned how I always listen to my gut feeling? It's being told that, "There's plenty of wear left on these tires" that threw me off.

Oh, about that AEM Intake System (air filter)? I was concerned that it might harm the integrity of the engine because it's after-market--I have the original part if I want to put it back on. Although he's dubious about its performance claims, he assured me that, "It won't hurt anything to leave it on." He said, "At best it may make the car 5 MPH faster, and it makes it a bit louder, but that's about it. If it puts a smile on your face, leave it on." So I'm leaving it in(I'm just sharing with you what he said in case you're interested.)
    No offense taken.

I can thank NYC for raising my level of "tire awareness." I always knew that tires were important in terms of safety but did not consider the performance aspect of it. Now I know! Like you, I will be getting snow tires next winter.
    When I first test drove our Type SH, I immediately noted that there was quite a "distance" (hey, guys, at least I'm sincerely trying--this is your territory--not mine) in terms of how far my leg had to travel to push the clutch all the way down. I wish that distance was shorter because then I could shift more efficiently. It is a minor (personal) quibble, but a quibble nonetheless.

Also, that is obviously a good thing if your gear grabs at a lower level during the "take-up" (so that's what it is!) so you're in gear quicker.

I have never heard of the term "speed shop" before I came here. :blush: I didn't even know there were such enterprises--businesses that specialize in modifying cars. I always thought that if you wanted something special (after-market), you would consult with your mechanic. So I'm not aware of any speed shops in my area.

I am an "everything in moderation" type of gal--in all areas in life. Although I find it interesting to see what others are doing to their Preludes--and I may even ask annoying questions about it--because inquiring minds need to know! :P ), that doesn't mean that it's something I want done too. The Canadian Prelude had customized seats. I thought that was pretty cool! It opened my eyes to the extent of customization possibilities out there.

I would imagine that many speed shop mechanics can be pretty "hard core" about their recommendations. I liken all of this to cosmetic surgery. A little here (and perhaps there) can go a long way to enhance the original design, but once you go overboard, you become freakish--a far cry from the organic structure. That being said, I've seen some freakish looking Preludes!
    In what way would you modify our suspension?
    Thanks for your opinions. The Prelude has 95,000 miles but I was just in an accident and it doesn't drive the same. What are your thoughts on the Accord Coupe as an option? Would you wait for the 2008 Coupe or look at the current Coupe (Would like to replace the Prelude soon - will trade it in because I would feel bad selling it to someone else with the front end problems). Does anyone know when the 2008 redesigned Coupe comes out? I also like the Saab 9-3. Anyone know how sporty it drives?
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    One thing to keep in mind if you try to save a little on tires, who is going to mount the tires and what type of equipment are they using? Alloy wheels scratch easy.
    lulu9: It is great that you need new tires! Now you can justify the expense. $210 per tire is very expensive. Have you asked your mechanic if you could have the tires shipped to him and have him mount & balance them? Many tire shops & auto mechanics know of tire rack and can't compete with them. So they'll still make money on the labor for mounting and balancing your tires.

Once my Dad got a price from tire rack and a price from STS TIRE & AUTO. STS was much more expensive. We called tire rack and they said STS TIRE & AUTO is one of their recommended installers. Since he's a small business owner, my dad asked the guy at STS if they cared...he said no. They can't compete with tire rack prices.

Lulu, tire rack's website is good, but their sales people are super friendly and extremely knowlegeable. Call them up and tell them what kind of car you have and what kind of tire you're looking for. I was actually all set to go with a set of Good Year something or other that were highly rated. The guy told me that the Yokohamas I ended up with were 90% of the tire and much less expensive. My Yokos were $81 each.

stevenh7: What happened in the accident? Did you get hurt? How much deamage was done to the car?

I was driving down a back road and hit a deer. Because I stopped short, the car went down in the front, the deer flew up in the air like an acrobat and landed directly on the middle of the hood. It costs $7000 to repair. I'm a perfectionist, the car didn't have a scratch on it before. So I will trade it in if I can figure what to get. I drove the Solara last night and folks were definitely right - terrible feel after the prelude. I think I'll drive the current Accord coupe to see how it feels and then wait for the 2008. I'd like a bit softer ride than the prelude without giving up the handling (if that is possible). Boy I wish they would bring my 1987 Supra back (had it 10 years). For some reason I end up buying new cars every 10 years (1987 Supra, 1997 Prelude, 2007 something-I'm-not yet-sure of). I'm moving from NJ to Raleigh in October so figure I should buy before I leave. I did a Honda and Toyota search and there are about 25 - 30 dealers between NJ, NY and PA and about 5 in the Raleigh area.
    Ugh! How awful! (How horrifying for you!) :cry:

Deer are such a hazard in the Northeast. No matter what road I'm on, I'm constantly on the look-out for deer yet--even with vigilance--I've had a few scary close calls at night during the summer months.

At least you have time to scheme and plan for your next car (which is a fun process). Based on your criteria, which seems similar to mine, would you consider a low-mileage BMW 530i? (I've driven this car several times, and it will definitely put a smile on your face.) Ironically, the higher-end cars have a steeper depreciation cliff, so you would be able to find one in your price range.

I'm a huge fan of Hondas for any number of reasons. My feeling is that you can't go wrong--as long as the model matches your personality and driving preference. (This is a mistake I made before--buying a car that didn't suit my driving style or personality--which I'll never do again. HUGH MISTAKE). My feeling is that you gotta love the car you're in. It's got to put a smile on your face everytime you look at it.

Which Toyota would you consider?

NYC is the grand schemer of them all. He brings such genuine passion to cars in general. He's a terrific guy to bounce your ideas off of.
    What other cars do you hope to add to your "old school" collection? Will you be charging admission some day? ;)
    But 4/27/07 marks 5 years to the day that I took delivery of my beautiful Milano Red 2001 Prelude Type SH. 81,XXX miles and I'm still loving the slick shifting 5 speed manual transmission, compliant ride, phenomenal handling, smooth engine that pulls to the redline, progressive brakes (still original pads & rotors).... I could go on & on, but I've got to get up for work in the morning or when my son gets up in the middle of the night!

You are right. $210 per tire is very expensive. I was taken aback by the price discrepancy quoted by my mechanic for the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 once I saw that the Tire Rack sells this tire for $138, and even Costco stocks it for $157 (I believe the $157 includes mounting & balancing). Though I'm all for giving my mechanic--the small businessman--my business, I cannot justify overpaying at least $200.

I will follow up on your suggestion to call the Tire Rack early this week and see what they suggest. If we were talking small change, I'd just go with my mechanic and be done with it--as I prefer to give the small business owner my business as well.

It's been a great weekend, and I am pooped!