Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    I stopped by the AAMCO franchise in my neighborhood. They did two rebuilds in the past for me and the SO. The manager told me that the oil change places that do the power flush usually don't drop the pan, so the flush may stir up all the bad stuff caught in the filter. My fluid, at 15K still looks good. Should I just do a pan drop and filter change, or follow that with a power flush? Pan drop service is about $80.

Thanks in advance for the advice and opinions any one may wish to contribute.

Silver
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    dude, you definitely got a bad sample.

Mine is very solid.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    It happenned to me once.

There is a thumbwheel on the left side of the dash that controls the brightness of the gauges. It has two click positions. I always have it in the first click. That time when I had flickering it turned out that someone had moved the thumbwheel out of the first click into the "no click" zone. I clicked it in and flickering went away.

*** the second click turns on your map lights and rear courtesy lights.
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    The new 2002 300M 'special edition' is sounding good. I just bought my 2001 300 in March and it looks as if it will be already be outdated by this upgrade. For anyone that's interested, I received an email this morning from Kennebell Performance answering a question I had for them concerning a supercharger for the 300. They said 'we may be doing this soon'. I told them I'm positive there are enough 300M owners out there that would be interested in a supercharger that would increase horsepower as much as 40%. Paxton did it for the Prowler which has the same 3.5L and got 125 more HP! Now that's exciting, and cheaper than buying another new car. In addition, Kennebell is looking for someone to lend them a 300M for a few days, in exchange they would give that person a free Optimizer II for their engine. You can email them at Kennebellperf@cs.com. Does anyone know of any other high performance mods out there?
  • mboomgarden1mboomgarden1 Member Posts: 49
    I'm not familiar with this company, but I'd definitely be interested in a supercharger for the 300M. However, I am a little concerned about whether the transmission could handle a power boost similar to what the Paxton setup does for the Prowler (+125 hp). Also, I'd feel a lot better if the supplier stood behind the product by jumping in with warranty coverage for the engine/drivetrain to the extent that the factory warranty might be voided. A number of manufacturers of superchargers and turbochargers do this and I'd be a lot more comfortable in purchasing from a company that would back its product with some meaningful assurance of reliability.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi folks,

I want to respond to some comments made last night. Personally, I'm working from an 800 Mhz Pentium III with a 56k modem, and I have to say that my modem is clearly the issue with the slow loading pictures, not the computer itself.

Some of you may have forgotten that we have a separate Photo Gallery discussion in the Owners Club. It would probably be better to post the actual pictures there, and maybe post just the links to your pictures in this discussion.

That way folks (like me and tucsongil, and everyone else who either cannot or has not yet upgraded to broadband) will know what they are getting into when they go to load a page.

I think it was fuzzywuzzy who asked a few days ago about posting a picture with the owner's permission - I asked, and the response I got was that folks should be posting links to pictures as a general rule, not displaying them.

So here is what I'm asking folks to do - use links more often than img src tags to draw folks attention to pictures. And feel free to use the Photo Gallery in the Owners Club to post all the pictures you want, that is exactly what it is there for.

Deal?

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Just picked my 300 up from the dealer (in to repair a scratch found at delivery). They had just gotten a truck load of new LH cars. There were about 4-5 concords and 2 300's One of the 300's was loaded minus php. the other was pure base not one option. Price of loaded 32,550 other was 28,995. I can guarantee the base one will be in a screamer ad in a couple of weeks. One thing that really stood out to me was the Concord Limited's new chrome wheels. They look pretty slick. Was going to ask the parts guy how much they were but didn't have time. Nwo that my 300 is perfect it is time for the mods. I think the first are the Bosch plugs and K&N then will look into duals and new rims.
    I do believe they stand behind the product as far as a warranty goes. I'll have to double check. I do agree with your concern with the transmission. Mainly because I also own a 96 Caravan, and last year had to replace the transmission for $2000 (out of warranty). It's no secret that Chrysler has had many problems with transmissions, although so far my 300 has run flawlessly.
  • 300mlover300mlover Member Posts: 132
    I would have never gave it a second thought as to removing my lettering if it were not for the letters starting to oxidize. Nothing worst than ugly flaky letters on the side of a brand new car! The dealer gave me new ones so if there are any die hard chrysler fans out there let me know and you can have them. After I saw how much cleaner the car looks without I will be removing them from all future cars too.

As for Japanese cars. Hands down if I could have afforded it I would be driving a Lexas GS400. Anyone that knocks a [non-permissible content removed](anese) car has obviously not drove one or been driven in one! And they make darn good lawn mowers too!
  • avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    no realation there my friend....

dean has been running these gears and nitrous for awhile, no problem. same with kyle, just the gears, no problem.
    anyone who loves american cars, you can join the club. if your knocking on the lexus gs400, trust me, don't. civics, integras, accords, all those which some of you, a lot of you, hate for some reason, are the same cars that last ppl 15 years. that is a long life time. my dad's a huge benz guy, mom's lexus, sister's toyota, brother subaru, me...i'm the only american car in the bunch. my mom told me when i bought the car that its gonna be dead in 5 years. i was like nawww no way, but yet i'm the only one of the family who has to make constant trips to the dealer for glitches.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    Was the price on the base dealer price or MRSP? The base MRSP (including destination) for 2001 is over $30k so the $28,995 for 2002 would represent more than a $1k reduction from 2001...
  • mike_sp1mike_sp1 Member Posts: 43
    As a newbie to the 300M, I have been used to regularly aspirated 3.8 L GM cars (Grand Prix, Bonnevile and Intrepid) and have found that they all, with their many fewer hp, easily out accelerate my new 300M WHEN IN SECOND GEAR--such as merging into traffic from an acceleration ramp on an Interstate. The GM cars would effortlessly get moving with little throttle response from me when passing and using 2nd gear or 3rd gear out of lockup, for example. My new 300M seems to accelerate fine in first gear, but for it to accelerate well in second gear, the throttle must be on the floor and the RPMs past 3500. I nearly purchased a GTP instead of the 300M and below 60, there was no comparison. Even my previous Concorde with the standard 3.5 L engine seemed to have more fizz in 2nd gear. Is this my imagination, or is the gearing such that when pushing the engine in 2nd gear requires a lot of coaxing from the throttle?? Hopefully this made some sense--it just seems to me that my 253 horses are a little anemic on midgrade fuel. Any thoughts from experienced 300M owners?? TIA Mike S.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    I didn't think you had any stock parts left, in your 300 to have trouble with. I never knock the Japanese autos except for some of there styleing cues, kind of like Pontiac's. All my domestics have lasted over 15 years execept my 97 T&C which was totaled. Sold them all still running.
    I have had mine for over a year now, I agree they at least look like they are better quality then the K&N filters. I bought mine from Baker, the address is www.bakerpercision.com .
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Didn't someone post in here that DC might reduce the price of the M to help it sell? The base price (MSRP) of the '01 is $29,640. Adding the $655 destination charge gets you to $30,295.
    Yes. That's my greatest frustration. The M doesn't start it's lovely power dance unless the tach is pushed up over 3k. This is why so much time was spent on here discussing the merits of replacing our gears with expensive Prowler Pro gears or putting Intrepid 2.7 liter gears in the car.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    is the s&b filter you use the conical or oem type---do you have the part # as they dont list it on the site
    I replaced the tranny in my wife's 96 grand caravan a few months ago too. That's the reason I got a 7 year 100k extended warranty for my M. I had one for the caravan and it saved me about $1,800
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    It appears as though that article that was posted on this board about DC lowering prices is true. From the people who have seen 2002's and their window stickers, the 300M appears to have at least $1,000-1,500 cut off of the 2001 prices. Now I wonder if they'll still offer the kind of rebates they do after a few months into the model year.

ruski- As for the flimsy body, I think I worded that wrong. Don't get me wrong, the 300M does have a rather hunkered down and meaty feel to it, but it doesn't seem to be as tightly stitiched together and flex-free as many other comparable vehicles. Take for instance, in a late 1999 Car & Driver magazine where the new for 2000 Pontiac Bonneville was tested, they made the following comment: "You still feel an occasional floorboard shiver that you wouldn't feel in a BMW 7-series or Audi A8. But held against cars more in the Pontiac's price range, such as the Chrysler 300M or the Mazda Millenia, the Pontiac's rigidity easily clears the bar." In other words, the 300M really isn't all that bad and is a solid vehicle, but it could benefit from a slightly stiffer and flex-free structure. You understand what I mean here?

Well, that's my $.02, take it or leave it.
    Good news all. We had a scare on getting club hats for great prices because of a personnel turnover in the shop we use. I found out today that all is well. We should have the hats available in about 10 days. Watch your email box for information from Roger.
  • phases78phases78 Member Posts: 471
    okay guys, for all of you new guys, you can check out my car at http://phases78.homestead.com/300m.html it hasnt been updated with the tint, removed trunk and door logos, or basslink yet, but everything else is there.

PAT - you like that link dont you? don't lie! ;)

well, guys, ill have you know, i have some pretty big plans for the M. first and formost i have to find out if there even feasable, then if i can afford it! but in due time, you will all see what i'm intending on bestowing upon you. mwahahahahaaa!

p.s. im either going to update my page tomorrow, or if i can get the energy up, perhaps tonight

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You're funny! :-)

Actually, that one is a different link than the one to the Mods discussion I posted a while back. I think you folks might forget that you have several other discussions in the Owners Club entirely dedicated to things like mods and pictures which are completely at your disposal.

And some of you may not be aware that you can easily get to the Owners Club by clicking on the link that appears under the discussion title at the top of the page.

That said, happy posting - you're falling down on the Top 10 chart!! ;->

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    We're falling off because the weather has been great and we're all out driving our wonderful 300Ms. The rest of those guys would rather type than drive. ;)
    never!
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    You really like those wheels? Did you take a close look at them? They are not a real aluminum wheel. The front is plastic (or something like plastic) The face is pressed on to look like a chrome rim. Next time you see a 2002 Concorde Limited tap on the rim ,you will see.
    That's great to hear the gears are still intact on your 300. By the way, the hood scoop on yours is awesome. Did you use a particular brand/part number? The local mod shop here didn't have one for a 300m, but list tons that fit about any car. I shared your picture with the guys at work and they all agreed it's a perfect fit. Any trouble with the nitrous system?
    It was a good thing that you purchased an extended warranty for your 96 caravan. However in my wife's van, she had 102k on it. Would of done me no good. Too many highway miles. They supposedly fixed it in the 97 model year. Case in point, my sister-in-law has a 97 T&C and has had absoultley no problems with the tranny. Oh well, that's what I get for buying car in its first year in production. I guess that's why I waited to buy my 300 this year so all the 'bugs' were worked out. In addition, they added a bunch of new options in the 2001 model year.
    if anyone has any leads to who can make custom grills, let me know!!!!!!!!!

herm hooked me up, but im gonna wait till tomorrow to call em
    Well, I recently posted about the power feeling a little down lately [on the M-I'm OK ;>) ] and today a quick calculation showed about 13.9 mpg on my last tank. Yikes! Maybe it's time to try those new platinum sparkies. With only 15k miles on the factory set, why would they need changing already? I better check the air filter. Probably need to reset the console computer and get a better feel for mpg at steady speeds.

Tuscongil-have you noticed a decrease in mileage when the temps are hitting 100 degrees?

Silver
    It is a conical type. Remember I purchased it over a year ago. I have emailed them earler about the stock replacement and am waiting a reply. Will let you know when I have information.
    Michael. http://www.homestead.com/chrysler300M/chrysler300M.html
  • herrmdoggherrmdogg Member Posts: 69
    Hey PHASES, no problemo on that top and bottom custom billet replacement grille hook-up, that grille is Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y and he makes from the ground up. Make sure you let me know what he says tomorrow.

http://members.cardomain.com/herrmdogg

HerrmDogg

• guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    you just missed the boat on the Dell special, ended wed. i just bought an 8100 series tues got it today WOW, hooked it up all is well, dvd is great, and the black and silver case, monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers are sharp just like my m. this pentium 4 is smokin' ;~)
    When are you gonna email me those sketches you made up for our "Project M" ?!?!?!?!?! =)

I'm gettin anxious !!! =)

HerrmDogg

no that hood isn't a brand or a model, its straight out of my computer. i drew it, then designed it, then we built it. its molded on to the hood with tension cuts underneath. should be functional by the time i get it out of the shop. oh and the perfect fit, that took me 4 times, but it was all good in the end. it looks a lot better up close or on teh road, pictures just don't catch the badass'ness (is that a word?) of it....
    LOL. we gotta name the project something cool, project mofo, yes! anywayz, patience my friend, good things come to those who wait...in other words, i'll do it at work tommorow ;)
  • tucsongiltucsongil Member Posts: 116
    You know Silver, my "M" runs slugishly when the temps are above 100 degress. This may be the same for everyone(?). But gas mileage is the same though at high or moderate to cool temps, it sucks! I get 280 miles to a tank full. A funny thing though, then I fill up I never add more than 14 gallons(?).

Gas mileage is an issue with the M!
    I helped my mother on Wednesday night order her 8100 Demension series. For this good deed, I get to set it up for her when it arrives(I hope by next Tuesday, for I leave for Disneyland on Weds morning).

The deals the site offer were at the end of the month and I hope that Dell offers the same deals at the end of this month(I beleive that they do specail deals at the end of every month). If not, I always play the waiting game on a high dollar ticket item to get the sale price/special offer. Also, I always the Dell catalog sent to me at work each month and sometime twice a month. Dell for me too, hopefully soon!

Enjoy yours you lucky dog!
    First gear is cool, but second gear does suck! It sucks so bad that I hate it when it shifts into second.

But the M is a MadMan(Pulp Fiction, cocane sceen) on the freeway! It just goes into hyperspace at high speeds! The dual exhuast system helps alot here! *_O
  • bbraddockbbraddock Member Posts: 46
    I hate to show what a clown I am about these things, but how difficult is it to get the K&N filter put in? Is it something I can do, or does it require some real car knowledge? Applying some Zaino is more to my liking, but a few more horses and a bit more zip are too. So, do I do it myself, or where would I go to get it done? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • saudi_princesaudi_prince Member Posts: 9
    Firstly, let me say I am a big fan of the LHS and 300M. I bought an LHS in 93 and had it for 7 years. No problems except a new trans at about 35K miles.

I got a great deal on a 2000 LHS back in Jan. of 2001 and have had a persistent problem with it from day one. Sometimes when I start the car, the steering makes a rhythmic clicking sound and you can actually feel a "kick" or "tug" on the wheel. This only happens when the car is stationary or under 15mph. Once I go over 15mph, the sound and tugging stop.

I bought it to the dealer the first time and they dismissed it with the infamous "couldn't detect the problem" excuse. It happened again when I was only a few miles from the dealer and test-drove it with the service manager. He said there is "definitely" a problem with the variable assist steering. Specifically the "solenoid" (spell?). They replaced the entire steering column and sure enough, the problem didn't go away.

They then replaced the body control module (BCM). (While this repair was going on, someone stole all 4 of my chrome wheels and tires when the car was in the service lot to the tune of $4,500 including some body damage, but this is another tale).

Lo and behold, the problem still hasn't gone away. I brought it back to the dealer and the morons again said that they couldn't detect the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If yes, does anyone have any idea what is causing the problem? I would appreciate any help or info on this problem. I am also posted this on the LHS board.
    takes about 5 min to get it in. you just take off the lid to the airbox, and take old filter out, pop this one in, and put lid back on. 10 yr old can do it.
  • spyboyspyboy Member Posts: 22
    My '01 M will average 24 MPG highway with the AC on. Last
    week I got 26 when the weather in New England was pretty
    cool (it rained one day too!) with the AC off. I'll cruise 65 - 75.
    I use Mobil, Exxon, Amoco 89 Octane ($1.73/gal). It might
    make a difference. I drive in "D" but will use autostick around town (fun).
    Yeah, I jump off the line from time to time to see how my passengers like
    getting pressed back in their seats ;-)

I check the tire pressure (32psi) often. I have the Mich tires. I take out the air filter
    to clean it every two weeks (tap out the dirt/bug snot/ still looks new). I bought
    a K&N filter but have not put it in yet. I'll wait until 10K the factory recommends
    to replace it. Incidentally, I check mileage the old fashioned way. Fill it up, drive X miles
    and fill it up again. Divide...yaddy yaddy, etc. I check the computer - it's pretty accurate
    too. I hit reset every fill up.
    hey man, i talked to scott, and all i got was some bad news :(

he said that he did it that one time cuz dude had his/her car sittin there for a while doin 20k of work on it, and he had it there to mess with, he said he couldnt do it again.....

lets see what they can do in nashville.....
    Well I called him up too this morning at 10 a.m. when they opened and he told me the same thing. He said that if a car was in there for other reasons he would do it again, but he wouldn't just make a grille without doing some other type of work to it as well. I guess it wasn't worth his time to fabricate one.

On another note, he did say that Monday he would call around because a few months ago he was told that a few places they do business with would be making upper and lower billet replacement grilles for the M and he would call me and let me know what he found out so I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Sorry about the wild goose chase.

Let me know if you hear any good news on your end.

HerrmDogg

outstanding!
    OK, I used to see a readout on the highway showing an estimated 30+ mpg at steady speed. I will clean, or change the air filter and see if that helps.

Silver
    Man that must of been a pain doing the scoop by yourself, but nonetheless it looks good. Hopefully I can find a manufacturer that has one similar to what you have. I haven't made any real mods to my car yet, other than tint and a spoiler, but I plan on gettin rid of the Chrysler letters like most people have and lower it with Eibach springs, add a K&N filter, and maybe add the Borla exhaust. I've noticed some have opt'd for the dual exhaust. Did you do yours 'homemade' like most or did you find a manufacturer that makes a dual exhaust outlet valence? So-Cal Speedshop told me new front and rear valance(that is setup for dual exhaust) and side skirts are in the works for their project M, but didn't say who was making them.
    How do you get at your spare tire? An aquarium? You have to be kidding.
    cmeyers300. Here's a link to someone selling their H&R lowering springs:

http://pub84.ezboard.com/f300menthusiastsclubfrm4.showMessage?topicID=6.topic