Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• freebirdfreebird Member Posts: 77
    re: your transmission failure - what type of maintenance had you performed up until the failure at 74,000?
  • paul9paul9 Member Posts: 6
    '99 Sienna

at 60,000 miles I replaced the computer (parts $500) for the power door. Dealership didn't charge for service as I complained that the door from time time got stuck since new.

Any way currently 74,000 miles and 11 months since above repair. And acting like the computer is out again.

Should I expect the Toyota to pick up any of this?
    With my dealer, I get 12 month warranty on repairs.
  • fangslfangsl Member Posts: 6
    We bought our '99 Sienna XLE new and from the day I drove it off the lot, it pulled left. I had it into the dealer many times with the same result. No change. The Dealer did say he could "adjust" the alignment to null the pull but we would wear out the tires faster. I gave up. I have an ES-300 (a Camry frame, just like the Sienna) and no pulling problems.
  • fangslfangsl Member Posts: 6
    Well, thats an interesting story. All service performed by Toyota except the oil changes. Trans was serviced by Toyota at the 60K service. At about 73800, I had my oil changed at a Jiffy Lube. The Tech said my Trans oil was very dirty and recommended a service. I told him if the oil was that dirty I would take my van back to Toyota because it was changed at 60K. He said, please do that soon. I made an appointment with Toyota and it was checked out with a clean bill of health...200 miles later the van was stopped at a signal and at the green light, my wife pressed on the gas to go. The van reved and reved but did not move. The trans had died.
  • phillipm1phillipm1 Member Posts: 21
    Bought my 1998 Sienna van new, in Oct. of 1997. Now has 69,000 miles on it. The factory battery still starts good and has a "green eye". Never had any factory battery last over 7 yrs. before. Since Winter is near and I don't want my wife's van not to start some cold morning, I decided to go ahead and put a new battery in it. Bought an Advance Silver series battery since it rated very good in the most recent Consumer Reports test. Cost was $49.95 and I installed it myself. Only major problem thus far was a total transmission failure at 7,000 miles. Warranty covered a new tranny. I use Mobil I 10w-30 every 5,000 miles, Toyota oil filters, and see no signs of sludging. I also run Mobil l synthetic transmission fluid. Use Chevron 87 octane gas and avg. 22.1 mpg. Have the notorious dash squeaks in cold weather that the dealer could never fix. Been a great vehicle but I will get paranoid when the factory extended 8 yr., 100,000 mile warranty on engine sludging and tranmission failure expires next Oct. I may be in the market for a new 2006 Sienna then. One last question about the factory battery that lasted so longer. Does anyone know who manafactures the Toyota batteries?
  • siennao1siennao1 Member Posts: 2
    I have been using Mobil 1 5W30 in my 2001. I drove the van exactly like the manual said to. NO revving the engine at all. Also, kept at or below the listed mph. Can be hard to do at times with other cars flying around me. Tried my best to keep it off the freeway except for special break in runs in the morning. Can you say, Sunday morning driver. That was me. I think I had the oil changed at 1,500 dino to dino then changed to synth at 4,000. I did a little bit of searching and found out that the van is not using any kind of special break in oil.

I try to get a good filter but have had the normal Toyota filter installed when I don't have the good filter. The oil gets changed at 6,000 + - 500. Most miles are short trip city driving in Northern CA.
  • fenceprofencepro Member Posts: 6
    The tranny on my wife's 2000 Sienna has just gone out. Toyota customer service said they had no knowledge of an 8yr warranty on the tranny. I was wondering what feedback you received on the info from deepan's post. A quick reply would be appreciated since she's stuck about 8 hrs away from home. Thanks.
    Just talked with Toyota. They said that the 8 yr/100k warranty was only on the transaxle, cover and misc parts - not on the tranny itself. Do you have additional info that I am not being told about the tranny? Thanks.
    I would call the Toyota customer service line and give them your VIN. They can tell you if your van is covered under the extended transmission service offering. From my memory the card that I received from Toyota it said that the warranty covered a "no go" condition with the transmission/transaxle (in this van's case a transmission and transaxle are the same thing.)

What type of maintenance did you do on the transmission up to this point? How many miles are on it?
    The van has 101.3K mileage and was serviced per the handbook. When I called Toyota's 800 #, the guy told me that there was no such thing as an extended warranty. My wife tried the same phone number an hour later and was told there was an extended warranty on the transaxle and tansaxcle casing, but not on the transmission itself (?).She got a reference number, went back to the dealer and he told her what you said, that the transaxle/tranny were the same thing. Toyota is replacing the tranny and our total bill is $250.00. The lack of knowledge by the first guy answering the phone is what I would expect from Ford (Windstar's blown engine and the class action lawsuit, but that's another story)but I expected better from Toyota's answering center. However, at least we're not stuck with the entire bill of $3,100.00. If anyone else out there is having trouble with their tranny's, persevere. Thanks.
    I would feel fortunate to get out with only paying $250.

Also, for other's benefit, if you keep your address updated with Toyota (call the 800 customer service number to update), they will send you mailers when a new "service campaign" like the extended transmission and engine warranties come out.

I have a '99 with 98,000 mile on it. I have been "over maintaining" the transmission by dropping the pan and cleaning the filter every 30,000 miles as well as draining the fluid (twice) every 10,000 miles. It costs me $9 every 10,000 miles, but I hope it pays off in the long run.
  • pn6pn6 Member Posts: 14
    The check engine light on our 2000 Sienna is on. Diagnostic codes read P1130 and P1135 which translates to:

A/F Sensor Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

A/F Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Has anyone encountered this or have recommendations on what to change?
    This is the air flow sensor on the firewall side of the engine.

A post on http://experts.about.com/q/832/index.htm states that this requires a special tool. See "1999 toyota sienna check engine light" dated 11/22/04 on this link.
    After further investigation, I believe this code is referring to the "O2" sensor, or an updated air flow sensor in your case. I would try replacing the "O2" sensor on the firewall side and reset the code. I believe that will fix the problem.
    That AF sensor appears to be mounted in exhaust pipe. Are there instructions for replacing it online... have no idea where the wires from it terminate. Is it something that can be cleaned, or is replacement required?
    You will have to replace it. Your code is saying that the "heating element" has gone out causing it to fail. In order to get consistent readings for the computer, the sensor runs at a specified temperature and this is what has failed in the sensor.

There is just a connector that the sensor connects into. It kind of looks like a spark plug with a wire pigtail off of the top. Mine just took a standard open end wrench to remove. The back/firewall side is hard to get to if you have large hands, but it is "doable."
  • lunarmistlunarmist Member Posts: 41
    We have a 2002 Symphony LE. Where is the fuel filter located and can it be easily replaced by a weekend mechanic ?

At what mileage should the Iridium spark plugs be replaced ?
  • srpssrps Member Posts: 1
    I need some advice and information.

I bought this used 2000 Sienna a few days ago. Today the transmission failed(@47K) on a highway leaving the family stranded. I got it towed to the nearest Toyota dealer, but couldn't talk to the service people as it is week-end.

The usual Toyota power-train warranty on this vehicle may have expired. as the original date placed in service is 5 years 2 months ago.

I read somewhere that Toyota has extended the warranty on Transmission for 98,99,2000 model Siennas for up to 8 Yrs/100K miles. Is this true? Is it applicable to all vehicles of those model years? Are there any regional variations on this policy. I live Southeast and I learnt Southeast Toyota is somewhat different from everywhere else.

Thanks for any info & advice.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try a Search This Discussion for "warranty" while waiting for responses. You'll turn up posts like this one:

deepan, "Toyota Sienna Owners: Problems & Solutions (2003 earlier)" #3057, 12 Nov 2004 7:59 am

Steve, Host
    The fuel filter is located under the air cleaner box. I removed the box to get to the filter. Toyota says this is a lifetime filter. I change mine every 60,000 miles. The plugs are also replaced at 60,000 miles. I am taking for granted that this interval did not change from '99 to you '02 model.
  • amiraultamirault Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Sienna has the same problem as yours. Just bought an OBD II code reader to find out why the check engine light came on. Same two trouble codes: P1130 & P1135. Just ordered the A/F (air/fuel) sensor and will let you know if it fixes the problem. . . I agree with previous response that the heater element is probably open or otherwise bad.
  • 03honda03honda Member Posts: 96
    We own a 2003 Sienna Symphony w/24,000 miles--problem free so far, except for a squeaky steering wheel, especially when the weather gets cold...anyone else experiencing this?? Is a trip to the dealer a waste of my time or is there a fix? thanks!
  • epharpepharp Member Posts: 7
    I also own a 2003 Sienna Symphony w/28000 miles and am experiencing the exact same problem(squeaky steering wheel). I had thought it would be a waste of time taking it to a dealer but now after reading your post I am rethinking that.

Ev
  • jeffzjeffz Member Posts: 1
    98 Toyoto Sienna.

Engine check light on.

DTC code: po155 O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction (Bank 2 sensor 1)

Does't anyone know where is the location of this sensor?

I plan to work on it during spring break (March). Does it hurt the engine or other part of my car if I don't fix the problem until then?

Auto part store told me that the cost for the sensor would be around $170. Anywhere I could buy cheaper one?

Thanks in advance for any advise.
    Ev,

I've made an appointment at my dealer for Friday--I'll update on the outcome of that! Glad to know I'm not just hearing things!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You may want to ask in the Got a Quick, Technical Question? forum too.

[Edit] I forgot to mention that my sister had two bad O2 sensors on her New Beetle that she ignored for three months. As far as I know, the only downside in waiting to fix them was her mileage tanked.

Steve, Host
    Well, you have a 50-50 chance on this one. I believe this is the back O2 sensor near the firewall. The one on the front side, near the radiator, is easy to replace. So, you could try changing this one out first (that is what I did.) I was wrong and had to change sensor with harder access.
    For error codes 1130 check the bank 1 sensor 1 sensor (firewall side of engine) and for error code 1150 check bank 2 sensor 1 (radiator side). Both are in the exhaust manifold.

Front is easy to reach, I'm told the back is very difficult to reach and needs a special tool. It looks to me that all it needs is a small arm and a good grip, although I haven't been able to tell exactly where the wires from the part go to.

Since this is such a common problem part, has Toyota stepped up to assume some responsibilty for anyone?

I hesitate both to have a non-dealer fix the problem, and to do it myself because of it's location. And I'm also afraid of being taken to the cleaners if Toyota fixes it....

FREEBIRD: Where does the rear sensor wire connect to the car's harness? Can you detail what it's like to change part?

The connector is simple to disconnect, but hard to get to. Look at the front O2 sensor. Open the hood and look down between the exhaust manifold and radiator. To the right, you will see the sensor. It is about the side of spark plug with a wire coming out of it. It has about a 6 inch pigtail that has a connector on it. This is the same as on the firewall side.

I changed my back sensor from under the car. I just had to work my hands between the firewall and suspension to get to it. I would say that if you have large hands, it would be difficult to do.

Let us know how you make out.
    Over the course of the last week, I would have warning lights come intermittently on in the middle of driving, such as the ABS light come on then go out when the engine is restarted, also the seatbelt light warning light come on after being on the road but then would reset when we pulled over, stopped and started the van without detaching the seatbelt. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Is this something that the dealer could trouble shoot without the warning light actually being on when taken to the dealer, since it doesn't occur all the time.
    FREEBIRD: I can see the sensor in the rear side using a mirror while lying by the car. I have not put it on blocks to crawl under yet. I cannot see where the wire lead connects to the car's harness. Could you be more specific as to where the sensors connection is. Is it difficult to unplug? Is the wire the same length as the front?

Thanks... it's good to benefit by one's experience and I guess that's what these boards are all about.
  • jaclacjaclac Member Posts: 2
    where would you say is the best place (or specific person at toyota)to send or email a complaint letter to?

we have a 98 sienna that has sludging and transmission problems, and i'd like to let them know of my dissatisfaction with their horrible product. (the sludging was somewhat bearable to go through since they covered the problem, but the transmission didn't fail until 6 months after the special warranty expired, so we had to take care of that ourselves).

thanks!
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    Sorry I can't answer your 'where to file complaints question', but since I have the same van as you, I was wondering:

1) at how many miles did the engine show problems? How about the transmission?

2) what were your oil change and transmission fluid change intervals? I change oil at 3750 miles, and trans at 30,000. My van only gets driven about 10,000 miles/year though.
    If you get under the van and follow the wire, you will feel the harness connector. I remember that it has a connection on the fire wall to keep the wire from dangling around. You have to use two hands to disconnect.

If you look at the O2 sensor connector on the front as described earlier, then you will see the exact connector that you will be dealing with on the rear.
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    Both policies i think are 8 yr 100k miles or 160k kms. in the early days toyota would reimburse the money if repaired at a toyota facility.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    Not sure of the best place to send a letter. The phone number given in the letters sent regarding the sludge problem is: 1-888-802-9436.

If you do a search of Edmunds for "sludge" you will find an old archived discussion that was started by Toyota to address the sludge situation. I think I remember seeing ways to contact people at Toyota. Again, this was for the engine, not the transmission. It won't hurt to file complaints with the NHTSA at http://www.nhtsa.gov and the Center for Autosafety at http://www.autosafety.org.

Good luck. If I come across any information that may help you, I will post it.
  • jaclacjaclac Member Posts: 2
    engine problems started around 75,000 miles

transmission failed around 155,000 miles.

changed oil about every 3000 miles. never changed transmission fluid - (bought car with 70,000 miles) supposed we learned an expensive lesson from that :(

the sludging warranties for 8 years regardless of miles. the mechanic at toyota told us it will definately sludge again...it's just a matter of time. it's a 1998, so hopefull it does it before 2006. a local mechanic said he's had customes add a touch of transmission fluid to the oil and never have sludging problems again...anyone ever heard of that?

the transmission warranty was a time issue, (regardless of milage), which ended in may of 2004. (of course our transmission was fine until nov of 2004...isn't that the way the cookie crumbles)

thanks for your responses!
    Our transmission went out just after Christmas. We called Toyota customer service and was told the first time that there was no extended warranty. Ditto THE DEALER. Called back to the Toyota (800) # and was tolded that there was an exteded warranty to 100K/8 years, but that it only covered the transaxle, not the full transmission. Went back to the dealer and he said - they were the same thing. Had to pay $250 for misc fees, but it was better than the $3,100 quote that we originally got. If you've already paid for the repairs, you should still have a good chance of getting reimbursed. Good Luck!
    It's interesting to that our check enging light keeps coming on in our 2000. I'm pretty sure it's the O2 sensor, because I've already had to replace both of mine in my 2001 Tundra. It makes one wonder if there might not be an ongoing problem with these sensors that Toyota is using.
    Took it to the dealer today...lubricated the streering column boot assembly under warranty and no more squeaks!!
    03honda, thanks for the update, I'll have them lube that boot when I take it in to have them check my electrical system.

Ev
    FENCEPRO: There is an ongoing issue with failing sensors and Toyota should do something about it. Seems to be a popular subject; just do a Google on it.

They're $300 each installed after they do their "required" diagnostics! My local Toyota dealer in Wellesley, MA wouldn't do a thing about it, other than to charge me.
    pn6, thanks for the reply. seems like i've been doing quite a bit of research on the sienna lately. I don't remeber where I found it, but TSB EG019-02 was issued saying that toyota would reimbusre for failed o2 sensors up to 7 years/90k. I found the receipt for the sienna at 62K miles, but both of mine on the tundra went out after 90K. go figure. after all the trouble we went through with the transmission on the sienna three weeks ago, we now have engine trouble. found an oil leak and took it to an independent. he told me the crank seal was leaking. had it towed to leith toyota in raleigh. the service tech told me that it was not a gel problem with the oil, but that the valve seals had gone bad. i then asked about the crank seal and he said, oh, yeah, that has gone bad too. talked with another independent and he said that if the pcv valve was getting clogged (thickening oil) that it would create enough pressure inside the engine block that it would start blowing all the seals. am going back this afternoon to talk with them again to see if both the front and back crank seals as well as the valve seals have all gone bad independently of one another. to say the least, i am highly skeptical that this problem is not directly related the to engine gel problem.
    TSB EG019-02 looks like it only applies to the 2000 Tundra. Did you get Toyota to apply it to the Sienna too?
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    this was one of the findings back in 2001 that was causing sludging. An easy do it yourself thing to do it change it every yr or every 2 yrs. The part is $10 and it requires no tools and about 10 mins. Chk for a posting from "jeprox" about how to change it.
  • spainfanspainfan Member Posts: 4
    We have a 1998 Sienna with 120,000 miles, and I was just told we need a transmission replacement, at a cost of $3300! I found our letter from Toyota in our file about the engine sludge warranty they gave, but cannot find anything about a transmission warranty. Would I be covered with 120,000 miles and a purchase date of May 1998? Thanks.
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    I am not sure, but I thought the transmission campaign was limited to 100,000 miles; however, the sludge campaign is unlimited miles, so I could be wrong. According to the NHTSA government website, the recall Service Bulletin Number is TC03014 and it is stated to be for "extended warranty coverage regarding a no movement or a slipping condition of the automatic transaxle". I recommend that you contact your local dealer with the bulletin number and see if they can give you a print out or at least some more details.