Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• lulu9lulu9 Member Posts: 154
    It puts a smile on my face to read that--at 81,XXX--your red beauty still runs great and that you're enjoying--and appreciating--all its wonderful attributes (in spite of your new car wish list).

In one of your recent posts, you mentioned that Honda actually lost money on the Prelude, and I do recall reading this somewhere along my travels. I love the build quality of this car. Once I get new tires--and the corresponding sway bars--I look forward to posting a "review."
  • timothyawtimothyaw Member Posts: 148
    All the Honda's of years past. Of course I've mentioned the older Prelude like 90 or 91. The del sol, older integras etc. For us Honda enthusiasts no charge ;)
    You may not have seen this in one of my earlier posts--as this was during your deicing season--but one of my best friends has a '93 Del Sol that has well over 200,000 miles on it. Her odometer broke about two years ago at 185,000. And she is not even good when it comes to maintenance. In fact, she's negligent. All she gets done is oil changes. I'm on her case all the time, and you and NYC know how much I know when it comes to actual car mechanics--not much. :blush: But I do know the importance of car maintenance and am actually quite anal about these things (I can thank my dad for that).

She drives me crazy. Last summer her timing belt went, OK? Have you ever? What is the magic number for timing belts--60,000/70,000? And she takes it beyond 200,000? I was infuriated at her and the dangerous predictment she put herself in. It actually popped while she was driving home on the Merritt Parkway in rush hour traffic--of all times. Well, the reason I wasn't on her case about THAT was because I ASSUMED she had it taken care of like six years ago! Now I know better.

The fact that she still commutes in this car back and forth to work is a miracle. If this isn't a testament to the quality of Honda's engines, I don't know what is. The mechanics who work on her car call it "Chrissy proof" (that's her name) because even her oblivious maintenance habits and aggressive Type A driving style hasn't done this car in yet--a modern day burning bush.
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Honda did not actually lose money on Preludes, they just did not make as much as they did on other cars. Dealers were probably hit even harder. There was no hold back on Preludes and the profit margin may have been 5% if sold at list. We leased ours before buying it with a Honda subsidized lease, so they also took money from one pocket to another, but Honda still made money, either manufacturing or finance.

Honda salesman used to switch people looking at Preludes to Accord coupes. Higher margins, more popular and the money was were you could see it (nicer interiors).
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,427
    We're mid-way between the 81 & 82K mile marks in my 5 year-old Prelude Type SH. It not only runs mechanically well, but still performs very well.

Saturday after work I had a little bit of time to eat lunch, play with my son, take a nap, shower, and head into the city for a bachelor party (Sparks for steak and then to Scores Westside). I give myself plenty of time to get into the city, find parking, and trek across town (Sparks is in MidTown on the East Side while Scores is In the 20's between 10th & 11th). The plan was to park near where I was going to be later in the night.

My genius plan gets scrapped (I HATE being late) when traffic comes to a dead halt on the Saw Mill River Parkway. There's a flipped over car right at the end of the parkway where it merges with the Henry Hudson Parkway.

After about a half hour the traffic starts to move and once I get by it is time for some how shall we say "spirited" driving. I get to the Henry Hudson Bridge & pay the toll. Once I can't see the cops in my mirror anymore I start working my way through the light traffic. Then...More BRake LightS! Oh come on! Please no more traffic!

I get through the cars hitting their brakes and driving unusually slow only to find a "congregation" of 15 motorcycle "enthusiasts" blocking the road so the guys in front can do Pop-O-Wheelies at 50 mph!

Not on my watch! I'm running a half hour late as it is! I dropped down from 5th to third, and buried the gas pedal! With the Prelude screaming towards its 7400 rpm redline (80 mph in 3rd), I weaved in and out of the motorcycles and hit 4th. I drove the car at about 95 until I saw that they had no interest in chasing me (Thank G-d).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

That's a big testament to the durability of Honda's back then. I'm not saying they aren't now, but I think even more so then.
    As far as dealers trying to switch people over to Accord coupes from Preludes, that was in THEIR best interest MONEY! As we all know, there is no comparison as far as performance and handling. As far as interiors and features, it's the Accord. I don't care less for all that fluff. Keep the weight down and the performance up.
    two different answers... :surprise:

I called them last night at 6 p.m.--without realizing that their hours are until 6 p.m. (IMO, it's never a good time to call a business at closing time.)

Anyway, the man I spoke with highly/strongly recommended the Yokohama AVS ES100 over the Michelins. (The AVS ES100s are a best seller with them--a great tire for the price--NYC knows all this since this is his tire.)

Well, I called again this morning because I had a question I forgot to ask: What is the tread life of these Yokohamas? (20,000 - 25,000--same as the Exalto PE2) I told this 2nd man the same thing--that I'm trying to decide between the Yoko AVS ES100 and the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 (that my mechanic recommended). Well, Rep. Number 2 stated emphatically that the Michelins are "no doubt--DEFINITELY--a better tire." So I then asked why the Yokohamas are a best seller. He said because of its price--but that the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 is a much better tire (again). (They're price is very good comparatively--$138 each)

Oh, it's just so much more fun to shop for shoes. :P
    The Michelins probably are better tires. I have a set of Pilot Exalto A/S (All Season) on my wife's 200 Mazda Protege ES.

You won't go wrong with either tire. Truthfully, if you have the money (and it isn't all that much) and you trust your mechanic and opinion #2 from Tire Rack then by all means go for the Michelins.

If you ever do get serious about sway bars, I'd be happy to let you drive my car so you can preview just how good they really are.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

As I wrote way back when, my "BS Detectors" are on high alert whenever I'm shopping for a car. I find this to be an interesting factoid--that Honda sales people would encourage/talk up the "advantages" of an Accord coupe over a Prelude.

O.K., so the coupe V6 is sprightly and firmer, but jeez...AS IF I could be talked into this over the impressive performance of the 5-speed Prelude?

Not that I'm in the car market often, but my method is to do my research first--read as many respectable sources of car reviews as I can get my hands on--and X-reference w/Consumer Reports (those kill-joys!) for reliability and other issues. Knowing (now accepting :P ) my driving style (that it's not a passing phase--something I will/should grow out of :P )and preferences enable me to hone in on a short-list fairly easily. Or I can do what NYC does and keep an ongoing list ;)! Ultimately, my car has to be very pleasing to look at on top of everything else.

It did not occur to me that a salesman might "steer" (pardon the pun) a buyer away from a particular model because of higher/better profit margins. Good to know!

When you look at the awsome styling of the Honda S2000 and its $34,000 price tag, it's immediately clear that the folks at Honda are willing to put out a "higher end" and exciting-to-drive sports car under the Honda label. I suppose that they were not willing to take any more chances on the Prelude--a more expensive-redesigned version.

As I shared in one of my first postings, the salesman at the Honda dealership in Long Island (NY), where I looked at the first Prelude, talked up the engineering qualities of this car as if it were a Maserati. I mean, WOW! Now they're saying it's a classic--one of the best-built/impressively engineered cars Honda ever made. (I already knew I wanted a Prelude so his commentary was more for entertaintment value.) It makes me sad to think that these same Honda salesman may have been talking people out a Prelude throughout its last redesign. But then again, whoever they are deserve to be stuck in an Accord coupe--of which there are a kazillion--when they could have owned something really cool and distinctive. ;)
    I will probably go with the Michelin Pilot Exalto. They are "now" $60 more each than the Yokohamas. They raised the price on the Michelins $5 per since I inquired on Monday and Tuesday. The first thing that went through my mind is that they raised the price because of me--that I asked too many questions. :blush:

The reason why I'm making such a big deal out of this tire purchase is because--now that I've got this new level of awareness--I recall all the shoe and sneaker purchases that that were not quite right once wore them. Heels I could not walk in, sneakers that were not right for the shape of my foot. Ugh! And often the most expensive shoes were the ones that rendered me crippled. But that's the often-ridiculous and frivolous world of fashion. As my friend would say, men would never put up with that! (Men would never put up with the assorted daily discomforts that women have to deal with! :P )

Since we're not dealing with fashion, I'm equating a higher price with a better tire. Yet both brands are supposed to get 20,000 - 25,000. And you love your tires! So I'm just going to chew on this for a few days. I've suffered this long...what's a few more days to make a decision?

I am totally serious--and intent--about getting the sway bars--taking a field trip to your "speed shop." So, yes, I would absolutely take you up on your offer to get a sense of the difference/improvement. Also, I am quite interested in your exhaust system (as a someday treat). But the new tires combined with the sway bars seems like an ideal upgrade. Once I get squared away with the tires...

Oh, by the way, am I to order these tires in the original equipment size? I will do what you did. I know your snows are in a larger size. What about your Yokohamas? Thanks for confirming.
    I was not aware of this EITHER--about alloy wheels scratching easily. One of Tire Rack's recommended installers is actually a place where I (and my parents) have purchased tires before in the town where I live. So that's comforting. It's a small, independently-run tire/auto repair shop. But I have no idea what type/kind of equipment they use. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and trust that this job is in capable hands. (Now I'm going to be looking for scratches!)
    I have been to Sparks--that is a fabulous steak house. There is no better treat than a finely prepared steak or prime rib! This was part of a wonderful date--Sparks and then Phantom of the Opera--with a man who eventually broke my heart (there's usually one, right?):cry: A Federal Agent...definitely not the settling down type. Can't say that I've been to Scores though--any location! :blush: although I've been invited a few times interestingly enough.

Sounds like a great night out with the boys!

Men hate to be late--definitely a Guy Thing! 80 in 3rd--Wow! Now that's seriously cooking! :D With your Apexi exhaust, your car must sound lean and mean! I would love that! The manual/5-speed Prelude rocks. I can't imagine owning a performance car in an automatic because you can't shift--and that's such an integral part of the experience! (And it's so easy to learn.)
    Sounds like you have a pretty good plan, new high performance tires with some suspension tightening :) I'd like to do that on my Prelude as well someday, once I recover from that divorce! Please keep us informed, I enjoy reading your posts.
    Hmmm do I see an s2k in your future :P As far as driving a manual trans car, it can't be beat IMO. I follow the manual transmission thread here on Edmunds, there are a few of us diehards left after all.
    Sounds like you have a pretty good plan, new high performance tires with some suspension tuning :) I'd like to do that on my Prelude as well someday, once I recover from that divorce! Please keep us informed, I enjoy reading your posts.
    Hmmm do I see an s2k in your future :P As far as driving a manual trans car, it can't be beat IMO. I follow the manual transmission thread here on Edmunds, there are a few of us diehards left after all.
    Go with your gut and outfit your Prelude with a set of Pilot Exaltos. Make sure you get the performance Exaltos and not the All Season (marked AS). You'll be very happy!

Go with the OEM (stock) tire size 205/50 R16.

My snow tires are actually SMALLER 195/60 R15.

I'm hoping to get them mounted tomorrow, if not then definitely by next week!

You've got an open invitation to come and drive my car. Saturday afternoons (after work) and Sundays are when the car sits.

• tpapreludetpaprelude Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I have a '97 Prelude I am looking to sell and all of the Honda Techs suggest there is a group of folks who like to buy them and deck them out like you are discussing. How might I find those folks in the Tampa Florida area?
    Thanks for giving me that little "push" to go all out with the Pilot Exaltos. One can only hope that the $60 each price difference is worth it. I had to chuckle at your choice of word, "outfit,"...now that's a man who's speaking my language! ;)

Also, thank you for confirming the size. Got it.

I am definitely going to take you up on your offer and check out your car one of these weekends.
    Divorce is a brutal financial hit for most people. But (based on your photo), you're young enough to start over and get on your feet again, which you will. And you're free to get on with your life! Sadly, I have a few friends who are unhappily married but stay married because neither partner wants to take the financial hit--so they're in agreement on that. Talk about living life in quiet desperation though! Ugh! That's an awful way to live. (I don't subscribe to fear-based choices.) On the other hand, I have friends who took the hit and were rewarded down the road (for being true to themselves--to their spiritual and emotional well-being) when they found the lid for their pot the second time around.

My two favorite auto manufacturers are Honda (for folks like me--in the under $30,000 price range) and BMW. If I were to ever trade up, I'd be looking at a BMW...Dare to dream! Even if Honda is making some boring cars these days, as you and NYC opined, I still think that you can't go wrong with a Honda. Basically, you can drive a Honda for as long as you want to own it--with a virtually trouble-free engine.

YES! The S2000 would be a great toy!

I don't usually follow any of the other threads here. Perhaps one of these days I'll check that one out. Having to manual shift requires (demands) the driver to be more mentally and physically engaged in the process of driving. It's just that simple, IMO! When I told my mother that my car was a manual (again), her response was, "Oh, why do you want to be bothered with all that again?"
    I agree with you totally, there was NO WAY I was staying in that marriage! I'd rather take the hit, and be happy LOL.
    BMW is the next logical step up, like I've mentioned on here before I would love to have an M3. Now that's nice.
    its snow tires and I let it run free. A little too free apparently according to the Westchester County Police. I got pulled over tonight on my way home from work. There's a section of the Bronx River Parkway between The Bronx (NYC)/Westchester County border and where it splits to the Sprain Brook Parkway where the speed limit is a paltry 45 MPH! Usually the traffic moves between 65 & 70.

The police officer pulled me over and asked me if I realized what the speed limit was. He was very nice and courteous. He took my license and told me that if my record was clean that I'd be on my way in a few minutes.

He kept his promise and told me to make sure to adhere to the posted speed limit.

Now to the important stuff! My car now looks proper with its beautiful OEM 5 spoke wheels! It also drives much better on the 16" Yokohama tires as opposed to the 15" Michelin SNow tires!

timothyaw: I think lulu9 is trying to ask you out :P

Like I've said many times before, my next car depends on how long I can hold on to the Prelude. I plan on driving it for at least another 5 years. Anything short of that and I'll probably end up with a MINI COOPER S. The longer I go with the Prelude and the more I can "justify" spending on a car. Maybe a 335i Sedan or an M3 Sedan :P

You asked how long you can hold on to the Prelude?? C'mon this isn't a keeper? :P You have to keep it and pass it on to your child! I've been impressed with what I've read about the mini cooper and its handling. Now about that M3 you mentioned, THAT'S what I'm talking about. I would like to pick up one of those one day. Someone at my job as a silver 335i sedan and it just looks SHARP! Sigh, that day can't come soon enough.
    When I'm done with it, I sell it to you tim for parts :P The next car will probably be a keeper as long as it is something really special like an M3 or Boxster.

lulu9: My 3 favorite car companies are as follows in this order: Ferrari, Porsche, BMW.

There's nothing like a red sports car to get a cop's attention! Yesterday was your lucky day as getting pulled over for speeding in New York (and Connecticut for that matter) and not getting a ticket is a rare occurence. He must have thought you were cute! :P

Shedding your snow tires (it took you long enough!) must be a great feeling...like going from boots to sandals. Now you need a pedicure!

Timothy: I think NYC has a case of spring fever! Don't forget that I know both your (Timothy's and NYC's) vital statistics! :P One is 6'6" and has a girlfriend and the other is 5'10" and married with baby. :)

I have at least two areas of interest that have no place in this forum: Relationship and fashion advice. So I couldn't resist offering Timothy my support for doing what was best for him--being true to himself and getting on with his life--as opposed to the yucky alternative. So if you boys ever have a question, ask me, and I'll give it to you straight up!
    Since NYC and Timothy have been waxing poetic (again :P ) about their someday 335i's, M3's, and Boxsters, I feel a social obligation to pass along a compliment I received on our Prelude SH on Sunday when I was at Costco. (Timothy, Costco is one of those warehouse clubs in this area where you pay an annual membership fee of $50 and often receive significant savings...it all depends.) Their store in Norwalk has a tire department--a pretty big operation actually. Well, I decided to get my tires at Costo--after I was all ready to order them from the Tire Rack. After I added in Tire Rack's shipping and handling and the $20 per tire installation cost, I realized that--to my surprise--it is slightly cheaper at Costco.

Also, when I visited their tire shop on Sunday, I found out that if you buy 4 Michelin tires, you get a $60 store card. Pretty good deal. Oh, and they are a certified Michelin tire center. Apparently, Michelin tires need to be filled a certain way. ANYWAY...

When the service manager (a Hispanic man in his mid to late 20's) asked me what kind of car I have (so he could make sure they have the size I need), he said "That's a really beautiful car." Then he asked, "Who's car is it?" :blush: "Mine." "YOURS? You drive that?" (I suppose looks can be deceiving.) He was so surprised! "Well," he said, "That's a great car you drive."

So here's to driving a still-great car (even if it isn't a $50,000 Porsche or BMW).

Yes, it's strange for me to be posting so late, but I work out for 1.5 hours in the evenings (have it down to a science)...and then I need time to recover as I feel like a wet noodle afterward. I'm like, "Don't even talk to me!" :mad: That's how wiped I get. But then it passes! :)

Lulu
    Congratulations on your new tires, now go out and take on some curves! But be mindful of the cops, oh but wait; you're a woman you'll get off :P If it's a man that pulls you over, if it's a woman, well depends on how she swings lol.
    We do have a Costco's here in Indy, I know it's hard to believe here in no-man's land. At some point in my life, I'm moving to the southwest. This area is a little too conservative for my taste. A job brought me here and the cost of living is cheap. But that stuff only goes so far ;) At least we're the racing capital of the world. I went to the US Grand Prix last year, lots of fun and energy. I might just take my Prelude around the famous oval. Too bad you can't open it though.
    I appreciate your support Ms. Lulu, I may take you up on that relationship advice sometime. It's good to get another woman's viewpoint sometimes. Since you have our vitals stats, what are yours?? I noticed you talked about an ex, no bf? I'm sure there are a lot of great car guys that make great bf's in the NYC/Ct area eh? haha
    Timothy: Sorry for the confusion...I decided (in my mind--after my informational "site visit" to Costco on Sunday) that I'll go with them. I have to find a day in the next week or so when I can sit and wait for the tires to be installed. They're so busy there, and I HATE TO WAIT! so I'm hoping to find a work day (instead of a Saturday) when I can sneak out of the office to get this done.

I can't wait to report to you guys about these tires. :)
    I'll get back to your other questions later!
  • cowboy019cowboy019 Member Posts: 17
    Lots of BMW fans here!

Do yourselves a favor and don't drive the 335. I took one for a spin and now have one on order.

The Prelude has about a month and a half left before she's retired. After 5 years, she's served me well. Still drives like a dream. But she ain't no 335.

On my various test drives, I was consistently surprised at how well the Prelude stacked up against newer cars. Obviously not as fast, but suspension, handling, and ride quality were all first rate. Not bad for a design that's over 10 years old.
    Yes, there are. May I ask you a few questions? Such as...Which Prelude do you own? I own the '01 Type SH. How many miles on your car?

Actually, I was both impressed and quite pleased to read how well the Prelude stacked up in terms of "suspension, handling, and ride quality" against the 335i considering the price range difference and the age of my car's design.

What other cars did you test drive in your search?
    1.5 hours at the gym? WOW! You must look stunning stepping out of that beautiful, black Prelude :P

I'm lucky if I can muster up a half an hour a few times a week to go for a 2 mile run! Although we did do the 5 borough bike tour last Sunday (47.5 miles).

• cowboy019cowboy019 Member Posts: 17
    I've got an '01 SE (Canada-only model). It's basically a base Prelude with leather seats and SH trim.

Oddly enough, my original intention in visiting the BMW dealership was to test the 323i (another Canada-only model). Loved the car, but felt that it wasn't enough of an upgrade, speed wise, from the Prelude to justify the cost. It's a 200hp I6, but you really gotta rev it to feel the power. Some might consider that a positive, but after driving a rev-happy engine for so long, I'm looking forward to driving a torque monster like the 335.

Also checked out the IS350 (no stick - strike) and G35. G just felt a bit more "raw" than the others, and the looks didn't compare to the BMW. I can see it getting "old" faster than the 3 series.

Unfortunately there was nothing in the Honda family to trade up to (I'm a lifelong Honda driver). The TSX is actually slower than the Prelude with all that weight to lug around, and the TL is too damn big. S2000 isn't practical as a year-round daily driver.
    With your "Cowboy" name, I imagined that you'd be from Texas or Oklahoma, but you're Canadian! Are you from the Calgary area? I love Western Canada and the Canadian Rockies. (I also love British Columbia and Vancouver--one of my favorite cities.)

I read your review and test drive commentary with great interest--from the standpoint of, "What would be a satisfying upgrade for a 5-speed Prelude owner--an upgrade that would truly justify the price tag?" Don't get me wrong: I LOVE my car and enjoy the hell out of it. It puts a smile on my face every time I get in. Yet, emotionally, I am acutely aware that I could never go down the performance ladder after owning a Type SH Prelude. The next logical step would be to go UP! But up to what?? (Also, I am very "looks oriented" in that I have to love a car's shape). So this is why I posed my question to you. It's great to learn that the 335 meets your personal criteria.

I have commented before about how the S2000 isn't a practical car for everyday driving. I wish it were! :P

Thanks for sharing your insights! Lulu
    Ouch! It really hurt me personally to imagine my proud and dignified Prelude as a "for parts" car. :cry:

It will be VERY interesting to see what NYC ACTUALLY decides upon when that time comes for him to retire his Prelude.

I know it does not make good sense logically (i.e., this is purely an emotional decision), but I'm going to follow my gut feeling and keep my Prelude when that time comes--as opposed to trading it in or selling it for parts (Ugh!). Number 1: Any car I own is impeccably maintained (just like my body :blush: ) and Number 2: I will not "need" the money for a trade-in.
    I think that women "getting off" :P (you know what I mean) when pulled over by a male cop is a thing of the past (unfortunately :blush:). The last time I was pulled over for speeding--about 8 years ago (thank goodness)--there was no "wiggle room" to be had in that situation. Moreover, none of my friends who've ever been pulled over have gotten a break either. Prior to that, I was pulled over for speeding in Toronto--speaking of Canada. The officer was VERY nice and polite and even quite amused by my kilometer explanation (which was true), but still, I got a ticket.

Yep: The heartland of our country is quite conservative--way too conservative for my taste as well. (Thank God I live in a Blue state). But the people are genuine and sincerely nice! OMG! We're so bitchy/uptight here in the Northeast--even downright hostile compared to other regions of the country! What state are you thinking of in the Southwest?

Ya know how people these days claim to be "drug-free" or "debt-free?" Well, I'm now coming out of a self-imposed "man-free" sabbatical--for about two and a half years now (Yeah, long time). My family and friends would love nothing more than to see me (at least) dating again, and no one can understand why I'm still single (except for me :blush:). I do have one "X" in the area with whom I'm on very friendly terms. But he is not the man who broke my heart. The one who did--hmmm, let's just say that there's no point in dating when you're not ready or open to take that risk again. And if I can't do something with complete integrity--if I'm not in alignment with something 100%--I don't do it at all. I'd rather fly solo than date men on the rebound. That's a no-win situation, and, again, lacks integrity.
    Yes, 1.5 hours per day of working out: A half-hour of cardio (either on one of the yucky machines--which I hate while I'm on them--or a power walk outside, depending on weather/time of year) and one hour of weight training and/or power yoga. This all makes sense because I'm an athletic gal and is part and parcel of my lifestyle. So, I can say to myself, "Hell yeah!" ;) Besides, what's the alternative? Being pudgy/fat and making excuses? :lemon: The reward for all this effort and investment is being lean and curvy. So, I'm proud to say that I match my car. :)
    I was totally joking about parting my car out to timothyaw :P .

Nobody knows what the future holds. I pretty much change my mind on a daily basis about my next car. Since it it the Spring time and we're actually having a nice, warm, season I'm hopped up on roadsters right now. Today's thought is to keep the Prelude as a daily driver/ winter beater and pick up a really nice, used Boxster to drive on those precious ncie days we have here in NY.

You seem like a very intelligent, proud, and confident woman (who drives stick among other assets ;) ). Somebody will be very lucky to have you...when you're ready. I was pretty miserable as a bachelor until I started dating my wife.

Fitness is important to me. I just don't have the time or inclination to workout every day (much less for and hour and a half). I know they're excuses, but darn good ones :shades: . Luckily I've been blessed with great genes and a very high metabolism. I'm 5'10" tall and weigh about 150 lbs.

Lustrous, Gleaming clean! I finally got my Prelude washed on Saturday afternoon after work. It looks fantastic! I even went against my rule of thumb and waited almost 40 minutes to get my car washed. The end result is well worth it! I really love the way the Milano Red paint!

Well I hope you keep the Prelude. I know I will, I won't make the same mistake twice. I regret getting rid of my 91, it was in mint shape. It would be near impossible to find one in such great shape today.
    Lulu: Well I love the Vegas area, highways to open up my Prelude ;) At some point I'll end up there. Your man-less time makes sense to me. No woman NEEDS a man, I like an independent women! And there is nothing more attractive than to see an attractive woman in a sexy sports car with manual transmission :blush:
    Yeah, I knew you were kidding because of the :P. But just the thought caused me angst!

Sounds like you're looking to experience some variety. Have you considered renting one of these cars on your ever-evolving wish list for a week or even for a few days--just as a treat? I know that Hertz has a so-called "Prestige Collection." Perhaps this will help you get some of this energy out of your system! ;)

5' 10" and 150 lbs. with minimal effort? I don't want to hear it! :P As much as I enjoy womanhood, I don't appreciate the female fat cells that go with the territory. :mad: That part of it is really not fair. Plus, I love my food in a big way. (I've got that Italian gene too.) I'm a little girl, 5'1" and 103 - 110 lbs. So there's not much room for error. 103 - 105 lbs. is perfect. Absolutely perfect. 110 lbs. is still totally acceptable and happening. Anything beyond that, and things go downhill very quickly. I go from fabulous to frump. It's awful!

Looking at this objectively, 1.5 hours of daily exercise must sound quite excessive/extreme--and perhaps even self-centered--but it really isn't! As I have a fairly sedentary job (which is not healthy in and of itself), I shudder to think of the consequences of not doing what I do! The way I see it, I'm doing people a favor by setting a positive example and even contributing to society by avoiding our health care (AKA "sick" care) system for a very long time! On balance, I do take Sundays off completely as well as the occasional Saturday morning. And my social life does come first. So, if I skip a night or two due to stuff going on, I know that I've still got "the situation" completely under control. All I'm missing out on is prime time t.v.--no loss.

I'm very clinical and quite unforgiving about my own stats. No one kicks my butt harder than me! But now you can understand why I've gotten looks from men as in, "You drive a SH Prelude?" When my friend came with me to pick up the car, his first comment was (being the proud, flag-waving chauvinist that he is, to which his response is, "Of course I am!"), "This is way too much car for you! Way too much!" Of course, I smiled back sweetly!

Thank you for the vote of confidence. Yes, I do see myself that way as well. One of the many lessons I learned from that experience is that hindsight is always 20/20. So taking time to reflect is a very wise move. Another lesson is that, "Everything happens for a reason," though it may take us years to understand why. And while many good men out there--such as you--can appreciate and love a fine, special woman when she comes your way--some men can't. They just can't handle it. They'd rather be "players" (every healthy woman's worst nightmare). Strangely, the single life appeals to them far more. They'd rather experience variety and "the chase" instead of one great relationship with one great woman. These are the men who are terrified of closeness. In any event, I had a gut feeling about this man from the beginning because of his relationship history (that he had not yet found the "right woman"--yeah right--but I let him through my screening system anyway--because he was fun, generous, smart, adventurous, well-traveled, interesting, etc. A lid for my pot. And he presented himself to me as a guy who was "relationship ready." (Another, "yeah right.") Well, I'm now over him because I've taken the time, but my whole thing about dating again is that I never, ever want to go through that nonsense again. And it's taken me this long to get the courage to go back out there again and give it the "old college try." But it's time, and I believe my experience has taught me to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Anyway, thanks for listening. I know this has nothing to do with cars!
    Ahh, yes, Vegas! The "Whatever Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas" state! What a radical departure from the Indianapolis area--from nice to naughty :P . On a practical note, I read recently that Vegas continues to be one the fastest growing cities/economies in the country, so there's lots of opportunities. Plus, you just might find your '91 Prelude out there since cars last a lot longer.

As I just posted, when you make a "mistake" in life, whatever it happens to be, you gain wisdom and insight from the experience that you would not have otherwise had. So now you know not to let go of your 01 'lude!

I'm actually starting to wonder if I've become too independent! One of my projects last summer was refinishing/refurbishing my kitchen cabinets completely on my own--from sanding to refinishing to re-installing! It was pure grunt work. But I did it--and did a great job (surprisingly)--as I'm very detail oriented. At that point, my friends were like, "You need to get out there!" But, yes, I am very independent (and strong willed).

I never realized until you and NYC pointed this out how (apparently) unusual it is for a woman to drive a stick. I learned when I was only 17...I asked my boyfriend at the time to teach me, and that was that! I never had a chance to build up any anxieties or preconceived notions about manual transmissions. I just thought that driving a stick was really cool, so I had to learn. (And it is cool. :shades: )

One of the things that really amazes me is the number of men these days who don't know how to drive a manual. Now this is a trend that's cause for alarm! What's up with that? What is going on here? Since when did teenage boys not want to learn how to drive a stick? I always thought it was a rite of passage, a typical boy's mindset...that's the way it was when I was a kid. I mean, do I have to add this "skill" to my list of "manly" requirements? :P

Your Prelude will love those open Vegas roads!
    This sounds like so much fun--the 5 borough bike tour. Can you tell me more?
    Do you go to the hand-wash place?

How are you enjoying your summer tires?
    NYC: Why don't you go and rent some cars from the higher end independent rental places. I'm sure there are some in your area. Lulu: Yes it's funny you bring up the part about some men not knowing how to drive a manual. My good neighbor across the street just bought a new Acura TL, very nice. Of course it's automatic. He was wishing he had the Type-S model with it's upgrades on suspension etc. Well he thought that model only had the manual transmission. I was like no, it has the auto as well. At that point he told me he didn't know how to drive a stick. I guess I wasn't surprised, but it hit me; there ARE guys out there that don't know how to drive a stick. You are so right, as a teenager it was cool to know how to drive a stick. I taught myself how to drive one! It's just weird to me, for a guy to NOT know how to drive one. I understand if you DON'T want to drive one now, but if you had to drive one you could :P
    NYC and lulu: You two posting your weight on here makes me feel HUGE LOL. But I guess being 6'6" and 205 is about right. At my check-up, I was in the good range :)
    5'1" 103 lbs, intelligent, works out like a mad woman, and does kitchen cabinet work... that's not perfect, it is a goddess :P

The place I get my Prelude washed is a combination hand/machine car wash in The Bronx. You drive in, they vaccum, clean the wheels off, then the car gets attacked by 4 Mexican guys with soapy mitts, after which the car is rinsed off, and hand dried. They shine up my Prelude really nice :shades:

LOVING the summer tires. Not only does my Prelude look proper now, it drives the way it was meant to be driven. I fly through my favorite twisty section of highyway on ym way to work and push the laws of physics on the off ramps on my way home. The Prelude truly is a very enjoyable car to drive, even with over 82,000 miles ;)

I almost rented from a "rent an exotic" place on my California trip last summer. I figured if it was a reasonable amount more than a standard convertible that I would spring for it. Well, they wanted more than triple (plus mileage restrictions) to rent a Boxster than it cost me to rent a Mustang Convertible for my vacation. To do it around here just seems kinda silly to me. Plus I'm not the type to spend that kind of money on myself.

it is something we've been doing for a number of years. You start out at Battery Park, ride up 6th Ave, through Central Park, into the Bronx, and Back into Manhattan down the FDR drive. You go over the 59th Street bridge, through Astoria, over the Costcusco Bridge and into Brooklyn. You ride on the BQE and over the Verazzano Bridge to Staten Island. It is lots of fun! Do you ride?

We do a few rides over the summer/fall.

My other car is a TREK. :blush:

On my way home from work this evening. I'm OK. I rear ended a BMW 745i in bumper to bumper traffic. His bumper is scratched (and needs to be repaqinted) and my front bumper needs to be repainted, I need a new left headlight assembly, and a new front left fender.

OMG! Now I feel completely guilty for being away so long. I was planning to catch up with you and Timothy--respond to your responses--tomorrow. Are you sure you're O.K.? Did the BMW suddenly stop short? Was the guy o.k. about it?

This may sound very weird, but I had a premonition a few days ago (a gut feeling) about your getting into an accident with your Prelude. I was going to send you a blurb to "DRIVE CAREFULLY." I have no idea why or where this came from, but it did.

Obviously, the most important thing is that you're o.k.--even if you're shaken up from the adrenaline. Don't be surprised if you have a hard time sleeping tonight. Ugh! Thank goodness it's a fender bender and not a crash, though your Prelude obviously took the blow. Were you ticketed? Hopefully not! Oh how lucky you were as this could have been so much worse.

What's going to happen next? Where is your car now? Was it towed, or were you able to drive it? Based on your description, it sounds like the damage to your car is all cosmetic--i.e., nothing is out of whack (frame) in terms of the body...nothing mechanical was damaged.

I am genuinely concerned so please keep me posted. Hang in there!
    The accident occured at maybe 5mph. The damage to both cars is all cosmetic. Let's just say the guy was NOT PLEASED with the situation. I can't even get into the expletives he yelled here on edmunds (I've got to keep the posts G-Rated). But while we were waiting for the police to come, he calmed down significantly. I told him I'd go with him to his body shop to get an estimate and if it is reasonable that I'd pay to fix it rather than go through insurance.

During his tyraid, I asked him if he was OK and apologized to him. I kept my composure and didn't react.

The good news is that both cars are driveable. The bad news is (quoting my Dad this AM): "You couldn't hit some cheapo 325i, it had to be a 7 series, huh?" There's a small crack in his bumper which means it has to be replaced. The bumper has those backup sensors in it and will cost a grand for the parts, paint, labor, and installation. I decided I'd rather pay it than go through insurance.

My car is a different story. I had it looked at, but got to the body shop just as they were closing. So I can't get an estimate until next week. I told him I only want to use Genuine Honda parts to fix the car with, so we'll see what he tells me.

Of course I'll keep you all updated.

Thanks for you concerns!