Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Axiom

Comments

• parker4551parker4551 Member Posts: 58
    I think you hit the nail on the head slickwilliedj. Everyone has pretty much come to that same conclusion, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the suspension, except for the fact that the people who put my hitch on tapped into the power supply that also controls the suspension, setting off my suspension warning light.
    I am taking Yokohama up on their 30 day guarantee. These tires corner fantastic, just like a sports car, especially in sport mode. They also feel more comfortable above 85 than below it, something tire salespeople, as well as Yokohama should point out, being that they are selling this tire to SUVs.
    Thursday I will be doing the exchange, and either buying Michelin Cross Terrain or the New Bridgestone Dueler Aleenza. The people at the tire shop have assured me my ride will be better than I had with the Integrity tires.

I will post a follow up soon after. Thank you everyone for your input!
  • mitikdmitikd Member Posts: 6
    I have about 45K on my 2002 Axiom. Lately I noticed a front brakes pulsation. After reading a posts on this forum, I've decided to replaced front rotors, because, seems like they worped. Isuzu warranty doesn't cover rotors after first year, according to their "customer relations", which I've contacted. So, shop where I went to, wants $520 for brakes job plus "repack front wheel bearings", which is a maintenance item every 30K miles. Shop wants $80 a piece for each rotor, plus $105 (!) for pads. According to shop, I have to put very specific pads on this vehicle, otherwise, regular aftermarket $20 pads would not perform as they suppose to. Also, they said that original rotors are disporsable, you can't rotate them, because manufacturers are trying to save on weight, fuel economy, etc. Makes sense, thought...
    I've read in some posts here on forum that somebody has rotated original rotors. I just trying to justify validity of $520 brakes job, especially $105 for pads... Never heard of such expensive pads. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  • axiomloveraxiomlover Member Posts: 216
    I had my front rotors turned by an Isuzu dealer and rear ones replaced in my third year of ownership. It was all covered by the warranty.
  • rcopa1rcopa1 Member Posts: 24
    Just had my brakes worked on. My ax is 2 years old with 24,000 miles. Brakes were pulsing - more like a pulling back and fourth while braking. I thought the rotors were bad, especially after reading post here. Took it to the dealer, without even looking at the vehicle the rep said brakes are not covered under warranty. Call Isusu they said if rotors are defective (warpped) then would be covered but brake pads and resurfacing were not. Took it to Pep boys they said the pads were bad. Replaced the pads at Pep boys for about $100 total (i put their best ones on.) Still had the pulsing, pulling. Had dealer look, thinking rotors had to be warpped. Dealer said front rotors needed to be resurfaced. I spent $360 for the dealer to resurface and vehicle brakes fine now. It's been about a month, we'll see how long the rotors last. I don't trust my dealer. Too many people post brake problems on here for this not to be a defect issue.
    24,000 miles is really low to be replacing brakes, however 45,000 miles is average, depending upon what kind of driving you do. I Have had many vehicles in the past that needed brake jobs between 30,000 and 40,000 miles, longest gone was 60,000. Not surprised either to hear the price, my last brake job on a Jeep Grand Cherokee was $400, no new rotors. There doesn't seem to be any ceiling on how high repairs will go anymore.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Go for the $100 Isuzu pads, well worth the money and I'm a brake dealer for Hawk and several other companies. I've tried the others but the Isuzu ones work best for longevity, dusting and stoppability. As for rotors, you do need to remove the fronts with the hub and repack or something like that, so I can see it costing more $. I have 85K on my original front rotors. At 20k I changed pads all around along with rear rotors. At 80K I put on a 2nd set of pads all around.

-mike
  • vitaminmvitaminm Member Posts: 2
    My son was just in an accident with this car. Did a 180 into another car while making a left turn from a stop on a wet day. My wife later told me that she's slipped numerous times (I typically don't drive the Axiom).

Do the right type of new tires really fix the problem, or just make it a little better? What type of tires would you suggest?
    Tires do make the difference on this vehicle. I put michelin MXV's on and they have preformed very well. Epecially in wet weather. I never felt safe with the factory goodyears, they seem more like a car tire. They might be good tires another vehicle but as you can see from post here they perform very poorly on this vehicle.
  • makayemakaye Member Posts: 81
    Not sure if anyone has brought this up but, in the rain or on snow/ice, vehicles with a limited slip differential WILL snap sideways far quicker while turning as compared to an open rear differential. Having power to both wheels makes it easier to lose traction (both wheels spinning in wet/marginal road conditions) and the vehicle will come around quite readily. With an open differential, even if one wheel spins, the other tire retains some traction. Now, going in a STRAIGHT line, vehicles with limited slip will have added traction with a light pedal - creating forward movement - corners are a different story. That is the benefit to the newer traction control systems over limited slip alone.
    Sorry about the accident, hope everyone is OK.
    I found out very early in my Axiom career that the truck will easily do a 180 if you hit the gas hard while turning into a 90-degree turn. It will also do it on dry pavement with the appropriate "lead foot" action. You are also guranteed to turn some heads due to tire screech. On wet pavement, you are guaranteed to fish-tail. Driving in TOD mode will pretty much eliminate the risk of a 180 and even fish tailing is difficult to accomplish.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    TOD is good. I use it on my trooper when the roads are wet. These trucks deliver a lot of torque and acceleration from 0 to 20 MPH. Which can cause the back end to break lose on wet roads if you get on it.

If I floor it from starts (which is fun to do since there is a lot of low end power) the Trooper's rears will break free when wet and cause the truck to spin. I have a lot of experience driving rear wheel cars so I can usually handle the spin by turning into it/coming off the gas and it just a lot of fun. Not pointing fingers...but you said it was your son, perhaps he accelerated a little too quickly and didn't also have the driving experience to handle a rear wheel drive car when it spins out?

The goodyear tires some Axioms have come with have been reported to be overly slippery. The Bridgestone Duelers are actually pretty good, in my opinion.
    I agree, TOD it's nearly impossible to spin it even on wet or snowy pavement. I race cars and drive my Trooper pretty wildly when I first got it. Tires are key to any grip though, even the best systems will suffer if you don't have good or proper tires on. I'd look to Yokos or STR tires from Pirelli for on-road and some kind of AT tire if you offroad your axiom.

-mike
  • cptsessocptsesso Member Posts: 116
    I too have sent the back end around like the other poster described, so I went with Michelin Cross Terrains. Great improvement on the Axiom. I feel confident now when driving on wet roads without TOD engaged. Haven't had a slip yet but waiting to try them out in the snow soon.

Instead of going with new ones, I tried out Ebay and picked up 5 new take-offs for $63.75/tire with shipping and $14.95 a piece to mount them at a local shop. Tires have 10/32 of tread, new is 11/32. I went with a little larger size, 245-65-17. Does not change the speed much, I think it is 1.2 mph @ 70mph. The slight increase in size fills the wheel wells a little more.
  • vitaminmvitaminm Member Posts: 2
    Thank you to everyone that replied. No one was hurt, and to sbcooke, you were right on. My son has had very little experience with a real wheel drive vehicle. It was my wife's Axiom that he had borrowed because his car was in the shop (being repaired after a hit-and-run).

Anyway, since my wife loves the Ax (except for the traction) I will be investing in new tire's so that I feel she's safe. I live in northern Illinois so I need a tire that is good on snow as well as wet pavement.
    Also if it is a 4wd AX, use TOD when the roads are slick. It is great and adds a lot of traction.
    Tires will make the biggest difference in how the Axiom handles in any kind of weather. I had the Yokohoma Geolanders, as you can see in some of my previous posts, and thought the ride to be rough, so I changed them out for the brand new Bridgestone Deuler Alenzia, which are absolutely fantastic. Quiter than the Geolanders, ride better, both tires did not break traction on wet pavement.
    By the way the rough riding comments that I had put up earlier were due to a Gforce module that totally shut down my suspension. It was just a weird timing issue that I had a trailer hitch, and new tires put on at the same time the ride got rough. So again the Yokohamas are a great tire, but they are considerably louder and produce a rougher ride than the Bridgestone, but both of these tires provide superior gripping traction in wet weather than the Goodyears. I strongly suggest the Bridgestone, and furthermore Bridgestone has a 30 day trail on these tires.
    By the way Isuzu owners are not the only ones suffering with these Badyears. Acura MDX, Toyota SUV owners, Lexus, just to name a few.
  • mjayemjaye Member Posts: 13
    Please take notice, the accident was probably caused by a defect in the ABS System. My 2002 Axiom front hubs and control arms were replaced with the 2003 hubs and control arms. I had numerous problems in the third and six months after new purchase May 2002. Lemon Lawyers currently have the case. The ABS is still faulty and doesn't stop the vehicle properly. Check the bottom of your control arms and frame for pink and blue painted markings of system changes. I will be checking daily for responses. Also go to the NHSTA site for recalls and bulletins
    Please check the bottom of your front control arms for pink and blue painted markings in the frame. My 2002 Axiom hubs ABS and control arms were replaced by the dealer with a 2003 hubs ABS and control arms to solve the problem with out my knowledge. The ABS problem occured with in the forst three months and re-occured 6 months after purchase. I am still not satisfied with the system. Lemon lawyers currently have case. Please return for my posting after the deposition set for Nov 16, 2004.
  • bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    What do you think better choice? or let's put it this way - how big should be price advantage for 2004 Axiom over 2004 Pathfinder to make Axiom worth buying?
    Looks like Edelbrock is looking for an Axiom to test their IAS shocks? Might be interesting.
    http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/vehicles_needed.html
    makaye, thanks for the information Axiom needed for testing. Edelbrook only wants vehicles in South Carolina. I live in Chicago IL
    well, or, Southern California, home base of Edelbrock;

Edelbrock Corporation Headquarters
    2700 California Street
    Torrance, CA 90503
    Sorry, my mistake. Still to far away. What do you think of my current situation with my 2002 Axiom? Any suggestions?
  • sveltaxsveltax Member Posts: 72
    I checked my a arms and don't see any changes. I did have the ABS recall performed. I don't know what they replaced, it wasn't noted on the invoice.
    What ABS recall? Never heard of one.
    Did you ever have the ABS light come on continuosly? Please go to www.nhtsa.dot.gov
    Do a search for Recalls and Bulletins for the Isuzu Axiom 2002. I bought my 2002 Axiom May 24, 2002. The ABS light came on Sept 2002, the dealer wasn't able to repair it until Dec 2002. And then it malfunctioned again March 2003 it came on continuosly. That is when they swiched my front hubs and ABS to a 2003. Ever since the 2003 system I been hearing the loud grinding noise when ever I hit a bump or turn corners. My law suit was filed July 2004. I also have had the drivers door panel armrest crack twice. This is the third complete door panel. I am sure that my vehicle is not the only one with so many problems, and my law suit is for you guy's who plan to keep the vehicle. NHTSA has over 35 complaints on file. They required documentation from owners. They send you a free postage card for complaints. This is where Automobile/SUV's recalls are generated.
    Please see #2248. The dealership will replace the parts without your knowledge. I would like to add that the parts that the dealership put on my new truck were used rebuilt parts from hevens knows where. I'm concerned about the life of these used parts. Also all dealership extended warranty's linked to GM's uses rebuilt parts on new vehicles. One of my friends bought a 2000 Jimmy Dec 2000, GM recalled it and in March 2001 put a used engine in his truck. I argued for him, it did no good. Thats why the Jimmy is called the Envoy now. The only reason why that recall came to light is due to consumers like myself that ask questions. You should not be afraid to ask the service dept questions or even call American Isuzu in California as I did. American Isuzu will not address any complaints unless you send them a letter. I sent mine certified. Proof of receipt. Also go to Lemon-aid.com website and read. Knowledge is power. I will be happy if someone else with the same problems would rake them over the coals also.
  • jtrikjtrik Member Posts: 11
    Seriously thinking of buying an Axiom. Getting a great deal on it...i know the troubles of an Isuzu and they're not selling these days, but the vehicle seems fine, i don't mind the styling and frankly i've had an Amigo since 1990 and no problems with that...it's my trade in...what you think? Am I crazy?
    Slightly. Warranty coverage will be an issue. Even if you get it used, you still get 1/2 the original warranty. Don't expect to find too many dealers and if there is one nearby, don't expect it to stay.
  • bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    How good the deal is?

I've tried to get an new 04'Axiom in end of November, but dealers asked way to much and weren't even trying to negotiate, finally I've settled on different vehicle...

I've already seen 04'used Axiom XS advertised at $20K.
  • dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    My 02 Axiom has 18,500 miles, and I just got the oil changed. the mechanic told me my sepatine belt is starting to crack. Anyone have any insight on this. it seems odd that a belt would start cracking at 18.5 miles. Any info would be appreciated.

Dennis P.
    After 33 months of Axiom ownership, I said good bye and traded it in for a new Jaguar X-type. It was hard to part myself with the Ax, it served me well till the last day. I got an acceptable trade-in value, but then again, the Ax was in great shape. Good luck to all of you Axiom owners, I enjoyed trading advice and observations with you over the past three years. Take care!
  • twocartwocar Member Posts: 95
    It's ironic, but I too just traded my Ax of 33 months. (got it March '02). I traded for a demo '04 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercrew. Just never really was 100% confident in the Ax's abilities even with Michelin's on it. Never did get rid of the clunk at braking and despised the GM 3 channel ABS. Overall, though, never had any problems with any fit or finish on the vehicle which is a first as I am very meticulous about equipment functionality. Hope to have as good a luck with my new purchase.
  • logicuserlogicuser Member Posts: 4
    I noticed a new SUV in China called the Grand Wall Motors Hover. It curiously looks like an Axiom with a different face. Does anyone know if the Axiom lives on in China as the Hover?
    The axiom may live after all.......... hard to tell but its the lime green vehicle. Another article says the release has been postponed but that it is a isuzu based vehicle. Theres no mistaking that profile....it's an Axiom......... with a Nissan Marrano front end.

http://www.cardesignnews.com/autoshows/2004/beijing/index.php
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    I do not know the answer to the question, just keep in mind the Chinese automotive industry (and Chinese industry in general) is notorious for copying designs.
  • jtrikjtrik Member Posts: 11
    sorry i took awhile to respond.

The deal was about 23K on the road, which i thought was a good. Car has been on the lot a long time...I'm not too concerned about warranty issues, and i don't think Isuzu will just dissapear...but i liked the truck, there are others i'm looking at as well and if he sells it in the meantime, i don't know if dealer will replace...have to think it thru though...
  • grn95grn95 Member Posts: 48
    take care axiomlover and twocar-thanks for the info you have provided to this forum. wanted to give a long term update on the kuhmo escta stx v-rated tires in size 265/60/17 on my 2002 axiom. the dry and rain difference in these tires is nite and day/very impressed! have about 16k miles on them so far and do not see much wear either. they are not impressive in heavy snow/ice but perform well in regular snow etc. i had a front end alignment right after the tires were installed (after which shock lite came on/never went off) but so far so good, no uneven sidewall choppiness i had with the badyear integritys. the axiom is a pleasure to drive with the new tires (a little rougher ride but the performance tires really grip).

so far the axiom has been a decent vehicle, the gas mileage has gone up and i now average around 16mpg. the paint on the sideview mirrors continues to get worse (it appears the clearcoat was not adequately applied).

anyways, happy new year to everyone on the forum.
  • jr1828jr1828 Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,

Has anyone tried OME Springs for the AXIOM? If so, do they eliminate the Suspension Bottoming?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

http://www.darlington-offroad.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=534357%7C10310- 42&PRID=667008

They also have a Coil Spacer Kit for the AXIOM, but I'm guessing that it would not solve the problem bottom out problem, As it does not increase the spring rate.

For those intersted, they also have a 3in lift kit for the AXIOM:

http://www.darlington-offroad.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=534357%7C10310- 42&PRID=666908
    I have the OME 912 springs on my Axiom. They are very stiff. I also purchased the Rancho 9000sx shocks, the rear shocks are set on 1 all the time. The only time the rear feels spongy is with 5 adults in the truck, then I just adjust the rear shocks to 4-5 and everything is just fine. I bought my lift from www.independant4x.com.

The front bumpstops pictured in the photo do not work with the Axiom. My torsion bars are stock as well.
    Try the 929s I have em in my trooper :)

-mike
    Sveltax,

Thanks for the info. We are mainly looking to eliminate the bottoming out of the rear suspension, although an inch of lift would be nice benefit.

Do the 912's raise the rear a lot, or is it not that noticeable?

Did you crank the Torsion bars to level it off?

If so, how many turns of the Tbar do you think would equal about an inch of lift?

Is the ride "bone jarring" or does it maintain a comfortable ride?

Thanks again for the info.
    Sveltax,

Thanks for the info. We are mainly looking to eliminate the bottoming out of the rear suspension, although an inch of lift would be nice benefit.

Do the 912's raise the rear a lot, or is it not that noticeable?

Did you crank the Torsion bars to level it off?

If so, how many turns of the Tbar do you think would equal about an inch of lift?

Is the ride "bone jarring" or does it maintain a comfortable ride?

Thanks again for the info.
  • pitt4pitt4 Member Posts: 20
    18,500 seems a bit odd to replacing the serpentine belt, but then again only having 18,500 on an '02 seems odd as well - too few miles for a 2/3 year old car. I replaced mine at around 70K. If you can see cracks in it, then might be safer to replace.
    The rear gained a good 2.5inches and I did crank the torsion bars to match. I don't remember how many revolutions I cranked, I also tested it a bit through the dips as I had some rubbing due to my new tires, 265/70 17". I did use a set of trucksprings for a year, they worked very well, no bottoming out. Do a search we've covered the truck springs in the past.
    Thanks for the info Sveltax.
  • sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    Have been looking for a new vehicle and the Honda Pilot is ok but I don't like AWD, would rather have 2WD. Saw an Axiom on the road and loved the styling. Saw on the web site that it comes 2WD but noticed only in 2004, no 2005s!. Wish Isuzu wasn't in the shape it is in, I would buy one.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    There are still 2004s sitting out on dealer lots. There are probably stilll some 2002s and 2003s also!
    I installed a set on my 2002 Axiom about 1 1/2 years ago. Just recently 3 of the 4 plastic step pads began to crack around the screw holes. I sent an email to Manik and within 1 day, they responded and are sending 4 new ones without charge. I figured I would have to pay for them because I bought them off of Ebay.

What a great company.
  • jdm2nr04jdm2nr04 Member Posts: 1
    Hey there...

We also have an axiom only with about 32,000 miles and when getting an oil change they said the same thing about the serpentine belt...its true if your vehicles has 20-22,000 miles. It is a good idea to change it between 20-25,000 miles. It also depends on how much you use the vehicle. If you bought the vehicle new or have warranty take it to the ISUZU dealer and ask them to check for cracks on the serpentine belt; warranty should cover for it because it only has 18,000 miles in your case.