Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Axiom

Comments

• sveltaxsveltax Member Posts: 72
    I looked at my belt and it looks worn enough to replace. Just had my 30K service about 2 weeks ago, they didn't mention it. But they did say the wheel bearings in the front needed to be repacked (I'm 2wd). Extra charge of course. I let it go, as they said it was because of my oversize tires. 265/70 17s, only about 8% over stock. I said the bearings should be repacked as part of 30K and the service person said no, we don't do them as part of our service. I don't think the belt is covered by the warranty, seems to be a wear item.
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    I had the belt chnaged out on my wife's 01 Rodeo at about 35K. The quick lube place pointed out to me and only charged $49.95 (Parts & Labor) For that amount, it's not worth hassling with under warranty.
  • dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    The repair place that does my oil changes said it would be about 90 dollars and they could do it during an oil change(i.e. no big deal). The place my wife takes her truck said that it would be about 60$ or so off the top of their head (without looking at it) because they hadn't done the belts on an axiom yet. Both places stated it was not a big deal. It seems that it is easier just to get it done then to deal with isuzu over it.

Also a friend of mine checked it and said he didn't see any cracking, so I guess I'll have them change it next oil change.

I love my Axiom, just not to keen on isuzu.
  • dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    I have an Isuzu Axiom and I love it, tonight though, my sunroof wouldn't slide open. It would pop up and down but not slide back. Well I got to where I was going went in and picked up dinner, came back out and re started the car. Tried the sunroof again and it opened (admittedly with a slight bang, not too bad of a bang) and seemed fine, closed it fine. Went to reopen it and it will not open now. I think it maybe off its track but am not sure. Any ideas? Also getting warrenty work done at the isuzu dealership will be a pain are there any other shops that work on sunroofs out there? Any help would be appreciated.

Dennis P.
  • slickwilliedjslickwilliedj Member Posts: 252
    just recv some mud flaps I ordered from Isuzu and had no idea they would require drilling holes into the lower body cladding ,,, anyone install a set of these b4?

I also got a genuine Isuzu hood/bug protector, and a nose mask which was hard to find seems no body makes them for the Axiom except Isuzu.

Hope to istall these accesories soon along with a a vent visor sunroof deflector.
    I would also like to order some Weather tech window wind deflectors for all 4 drs. anyone have a set on theres?
  • cptsessocptsesso Member Posts: 116
    RE:I would also like to order some Weather tech window wind deflectors for all 4 drs. anyone have a set on theres?

I have a set on mine. Not sure if they are made by Weather Tech though. I picked mine up on Ebay a while back. They look good, but they do hamper your visibility along the A-pillar a bit.
  • dino4dino4 Member Posts: 2
    I am lookin to replace the ics system too it gets way too soft and way too hard on the sport mode specially after i put 20" rims on it
    i like something in the middle do you thing if i
    put the 9000 will eliminate the bottoming out of the rear or do i need coil springs too i thought maybe ill get the coils from the rodeo i thing they are not that soft , i dont really want to lift it atol
  • dino4dino4 Member Posts: 2
    for anyone that is intrested in aftemarket wheels on an axiom i put 20x8.5 on it with
    275-45-20 and that is about the max you can go it rubs a little when i back up with the wheels half way turned .
    the truck looks very sharp i get alot of compliments on it
    the handlind is unbeliveble specially in sport mode
  • slickwilliedjslickwilliedj Member Posts: 252
    Has anyone purchased the Isuzu protection plan here? If so what did u pay? What type of plan etc

I'm interested in purchasing on my 02 which be out of the 3/50mile warranty soon. I'm trouble though finding a dealer to purchase it from and from my understanding you cannot purchase any other way....
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I am not much of an Isuzu fan these days...I would not buy any kind of extended warranty from Isuzu. In my opinion you are going to have a hard time getting factory warranty coverage. Put the $1000 (or whatever it is) for the plan in the bank to pay for whatever repairs you may need.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please set your spam blocker to accept email from edmunds.com

tidester, host
  • pitt4pitt4 Member Posts: 20
    Hey Mike,
    It has been a while since I posted, but I recall you being the expert on any subject relating to the Axiom. I know this topic has been beaten to death but after reading through the posts, I'm not too sure what to do....I need new shocks for my '02 Axiom. After 102K miles, it's well overdue but I haven't been "disappointed" with the ride until recently. What do you recommend as a nice aftermarket shock? I saw the rancho 9000 in several posts and would like some feedback on it. Appreciate it!!

Darin
    By the way, the last time I posted, there was a debate as to how long brake pads were lasting.... I still have the original! I did have to replace the shoes in the rear but the pads still had quite a bit of wear on them . Granted, mostly highway driving (25+K/year) but still nice.
    Thanks
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'd look into the shocks sold by ARB/OME I put a set on my Trooper after having the Rancho 9000s and they were significantly better. Bilstien also makes great shocks as well.

Glad to hear the Axiom is doing well. Maybe isuzu will get back into the swing of things someday. I recently bought an 04 Armada, couldn't wait for Isuzu to come up with a V8 Towing-able SUV for me :(

My dad bought my Trooper so I get to drive it every now and again :)

-mike
    Just changed the plugs today on my 2002 Axiom at 40k miles. Relatively easy job except for the right rear one. Got that one using several varying sizes of extenders.

I would definitely like to thank the person who posted a while back, I believe in the Trooper forum, about using a compressor to pop off a stuck spark plug boot. I had one stuck on there pretty good and remembered his tip. It worked like a charm.

Anyway, the Denso platinum plugs at 40k miles did not look too bad, but then again, they did not look too good. In my opinion, 40k is a good time to change them. Reason being that the boots tend to get stuck the longer you wait and my plugs were a bit worn and cruddy when removed.

When installing the new plugs, I used dielectric grease on the boots and plug stems and anti-seize compound on the threads. Hopefully this will cure the stuck boot problems for next time.

All in all, I have been very satisfied with my Axiom. People still check it out and ask questions. I think I am the only one in my area with one (NE PA) and I like it that way.

On a side note, if anyone knows of where I can get a new (used) rear bumper cover let me know. The wife backed up into a short metal pole this winter and cracked the cover. :cry:

I was bidding for one on Ebay recently and forgot to check on it. I woke up to find I missed it by $1.00. Pissed me off because the guy selling it was in my part of the state ( 1.3 hrs away). I could have driven there to get it.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Craigslist.org is an option until another shows up on eBay.

Steve, Host
  • walk_the_walk2walk_the_walk2 Member Posts: 140
    Dear Slickwilliedj:

I certainly know what you mean. I bought the mudflaps, too and was surprised that they actually expected you to drill LARGE HOLES in your vehicle to put on the front mud flaps.

So, I installed ONLY THE REAR mudflaps, as it was less messy. I still have two new front mudflaps, with fasteners and instructions, laying around my garage so if anyone wants them cheap, they can send me a message and I will gladly sell them for a song.

My suggestion to you is to just install the rear ones, or return the whole thing.\

By the way, we bought the roof rack online at a discount and installed that ourselves, too. It also was a BEAR to install. I would have it done at the dealer next time.

Just my two cents.
    thanks for the info on your plugs. I see that you used DENSOs as replacements. I wanted to tell everybody that I started to replace my plugs, went to the local auto store, bought a set of BOSCH Platinum plugs. A friend told me about problems with BOSCH plugs, so I started to research plugs for my Axe.

In the process I found out that the 2000-2004 Axioms (and Troopers I think - Paison can tell me for sure) use DENSO plugs. The plugs are part of an ion sensing system and replacing with a non-standard plug (as I was about to do) causes the check engine light to come on and a diag code to be posted...

Here is the info I found online about this, which I would like to share:

"he 2000-2004 engines have the GM/delphi "ion sensing" ignition system where the spark plugs are used as a sensor (when they are not firing) to measure the electrical resistance of the gasses in the combustion chamber. Other plugs may cause the ECU to register a code (misfire code: P1340). Also, it has been noted that some 00 trucks came with champion plugs from the factory, which cause knocking, due to to ion sense coils."

URL is:
    http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/
    (search for DENSO)

I had not heard of DENSO plugs before this; returned the BOSCH plugs and will wait to replace my plugs. Also, after checking this it appears to be not for the faint of heart. Plugs have special electronic connectors and are down in a "well" like with the Subaru we have. Not fun to work on.

But, the main point here is that those who do not know about this could be replacing their plugs, getting a check engine light, not knowing why, go to the dealer, pay $50 for a diag check, $150-200 for the plug replacement and come out $250 poorer with used plugs that cant be returned. Sounds like a $300 misadventure to me.

So, I think the moral is to check the manual, which specs 3 and only 3 plugs to use on my Axiom. Two are DENSOs - special order, of course, and one is a Champion Platinum, also special order. All are available online, though, at reasonable prices.

Hope this is helpful to others. I welcome feedback on this posting and its contents.
    Got 44K on my '02 Axe and I am looking at replacing the original (yes, original) Goodyear Integritys with the Michelin MXV4 Plus tires that you posted about. I researched this myself and came to the conclusion that this would be the tire of choice, based on experience with Michelin tires in the past.

Also, I have had a few fishtailings myself and will be glad to get rid of the Goodyears. I would have replaced them sooner, but they have good treadwear and have held up OK.

The price of the Michelins varies widely - it pays to shop around! I got prices ranging from $174 online at tiresdirect.com to $205 at Sears, special order of course, to $250 something at PepBoys! That's each! Cheapest price was from SAMSCLUB at like $179 plus a small install fee. you order the tires online at their website, they arrive at your local SAMSCLUB and then you go there for the install. You can save like $70 per tire or some $280 by my rough calcs.

While I am no fan of SAMSClub, and had let my membership expire, its worth it to renew just for this one purchase.

Of course, those of you with tire machines in your garage can always buy yours online...
  • pitt4pitt4 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks again Mike.

I have a friend that can get them at cost and will help me install them. Some beers and some nice steaks ought to do the trick!

I'll also welcome any assistance with finding hood "bug" deflector and while I'm at it, the sun/wind visor for the sun roof on the cheap. My bug deflector snapped when a coax cable shot up from a truck I was behind. Put a nice round dent on my hood as well, but the deflector saved a lot more extensive damage.
    Thanks again - to everyone - for some great tips and for "keeping the faith".
    Darin
    I got my Denso plugs (PK16PR11) from sparkplugs.com. Total cost was $48.93 with shipping. I just removed one plug first to see which kind were installed at the factory. Some have Denso, some have Champion.

As far as changing the plugs, it was very simple. Don't be afraid of the coil packs. I found it just as easy as changing the plugs on any other vehicle. Just be careful if you come across a boot stuck to the plug. I believe Paisan can tell you what will happen if you try to force it off. If I remember correctly, he tore one. I had one stuck and used the air pressure from a compressor to force air down through the hole in the top of the boot (after removing the coil pack) and the boot released from the plug.

When you reassemble, be sure to use some dielectric grease on the top of the plugs and inside of the boots. I bought a little squeeze pack from the counter at Auto Zone for .99 cents, which was enough to do all 6 plugs. This should prevent the boots from sticking again.
    I just got one for my Armada from Lund. Do a search on the web many web sites usually have them for about $60.

-mike
  • rcopa1rcopa1 Member Posts: 24
    Yea, now that i have had the tires awhile (about 9 months) they have worn very nicely. I just took my first long trip with the tires and was amazed at the highway ride. The vehicle gave me a great smooth ride. They especially ride nice when set to isuzu recommended PSI presure. You'll be very happy with this tire, and it gives the vehicle a nice beefy stance. It's a shame that this vehicle dosent have better steering/ride, i still cringe when i see a pot hole cause i know im going to feel it to the bone. A vehicle this good looking and one in it's orignal price range should have a much better ride - SUV or not. The gas still freaks me out, 13-14 mpg in the city. It's at least 2 mpg worse than the 99 rodeo i had. But that's another whole post lol. Other wise this vehicle has been great.
  • mjayemjaye Member Posts: 13
    Im sorry I didn't realize. It is now set
    I want you to know that Isuzu wanted to sell me a Car Care extended warranty at purchase. The dealer did not offer Isuzu's warranty. The dealer lowered the Car Care warranty from 1200 dollars to 300 dollars and I would not buy it because it was not Isuzu's warranty. I would like to know if anyone has an Isuzu extended warranty. Isuzu wanted to pass the warranty issues and problems on to someone else. 55% of my 02 Axiom was built by GM. The ABS system. Ascender included in GM's recall May 3 2005. My 2002 Axiom will be included in the recall also for the 1999 to 2002 vehicles.
    Prime time May 3 2005.
    What recall are you talking about? I can't find info on any recent recalls for the 02 Axiom.
    In fact most of it was not at all built by GM. The only thing GM is the 4L30E transmission. I personally bought the Warranty-Direct extended warranty. It has already paid for itself on my trooper.

-mike
  • chabechabe Member Posts: 5
    just wanted ta say hi to all :
    Am trying out an 2002 axiom w/35000 miles - loaded with everything but the kitchen sink ( nav - leather -cd changer, tow package etc ) from a dealer friend of mine for the sum of 14,900 - we just got back from our 1st test drive and have to say I'm err i mean were quite impressed,my wife loves it immensely and so do I except for 1 thing--I'm 6 feet and my foot dosnt fit the accelerator real comfortable which isnt a problem on long drives what w/cruise cntrl -- I guess I 'm just used to driving my dodge ram--but all in all its a tight and reasonably sweet ride--any things I should look for in paticular before I make my decision would be helpful...thnx Steve C
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    As the second owner you will lose Isuzu's extended warranty. Also, there's no NAV on this vehicle unless it's been installed separately (The orange screen is a glorified clock and HVAC control.) It's way too much money for a discontinued used vehicle. Is it at least 4WD? I'd suggest looking at a few "new" 2004 4x4 XS that are still left around the country for $20K+. Those come with a much better direct injection engine (250hp), Japanese transmission with a dipstick, a few other minor improvements, and a longer warranty (for whatever it's worth.)
  • axiom_drvraxiom_drvr Member Posts: 1
    recently purchased a new Isuzu Axiom, like it a lot but.....checked the oil at 2000 miles and it was about a 1/4 quart low. Didn't think anything of it as I never checked the oil after we bought it....well, topped it off, then checked the oil again at 3100 miles and it is again about 1/4 quart low. There are no leaks (garage floor is clean). Ok, so I called the dealer to schedule an oil change and asked about oil level...thinking maybe it uses a little during the 1st few thousand miles "break-in" period. I was shocked when the service rep told me on the phone that all the Isuzu's use abut 1/2 quart of oil every 3 thousand miles, its nothing typical of Isuzu engines! I asked again just to be sure and he said yes, it will use about 1/4-1/2 quart between oil changes! I told him I did not believe that to be true, and proceeded to schedule the oil change for next week at which time I will see the service rep in person ...and the saleman who sold us the vehicle as well! Has anyone ever heard that a new vehicle will use oil between oil changes? A friend told me to call another dealer and ask the same questions to see if the service rep was just mis-informed or that's what every Isuzu dealer says. Any advice on this would be appreciated.
    It is true. Almost all Isuzu's will burn some oil between changes. My 2002 Axiom burns about 1qt every 7500 miles (usually add 1/2 qt at 3200 miles). Some times it is only about 1/2 qt for the 7500 miles.

Some people experience greater oil usage. It seems like, from reading these boards, that switching to synthetic reduces the oil usage.

I use Mobile 1 synthetic 5w-30 and it seems to work well.
    So, I bit the bullet at 44K and replaced those nasty Goodyears slip-and-slides with some new Michelin MXV4 Energy Plus tires. Got them special order from Sams Club for about $175 plus 9 each for installation.

In a word - they are wonderful. THESE ARE THE TIRES THAT SHOULD COME WITH THIS VEHICLE. Gone is the slip 'n slide effect that caused many a fishtail in the Florida summer rains. Yesterday evening there was a tremendous Noah's Ark-like downpour and my Axe with its new Michelins was rock solid stable.

So, if any of you want to get tires for your Axes, get the Michelin MXV4 Energy Pluss. I bought the exact same size as came on the car originally and they look and ride great.
    My 2000 Trooper uses about 1Q/2500miles very common and most manufacturers allow up to 1Q/1000 miles. Other than that these motors run forever. When I switched to synthetic it jumped up to about 1Q/3500 miles so not too bad. If that's the only problem with it I'd just keep tabs on the oil level and add as needed.

-mike
  • rcopa1rcopa1 Member Posts: 24
    Glad to hear you like the tires. I must have been caught in the same rain storm. I was on the Florida turnpike and it was pouring. You'll enjoy them most on the highway. Thats were i've noticed the biggest difference. Nice smooth ride doing 80. Interesting that they are the same size as the OEM's but seem so much wider. Those goodyear are the worst tires i have ever owned!
    It is on my purchase sticker 55% US/Canadian parts. The recalls (ABC Prime Time) May 3 2005 was for GMAC ( Trail Blazer, Envoy,Acsender, Escalade ETC years 1999 -2002, ABS not stopping the vehicles soon enough. My 2002 Axiom makes a grinding noise and jumps forward not stopping the vehicle. I sent pictures of the changed parts to the NHTSA, and I received a return call today and will talk to the Defects Investigation Office June 14, 2005. I was awarded $6000.00 in arbitration April 28, 2005 for the number of time that I had to take my Axiom to the shop. View the court records at the following link.

http://198.173.15.31/onlinecases/casesnapshot/casesnapsearch.asp?Database=1&case_no=&=&=&=- &PLtype=2&sname=American+Isuzu&courtdate=

I rejected the arbitration decision because, All my problems still exist and I am concerned about you guy's with 2002 Axioms too. I want them to admit to the problem and recall all of our vehicles too. My ABS comes on too often and does not stop my Axiom soon enough. It makes a grinding noise and jumps forward when I need to stop. My court date is set for June 20, 2005. I will be back to check for responses
    I could send you my purchase sticker 55% USA/Canadian parts
    Is absolutely ZERO proof that it's GM built. The Axiom is assembled at the former SIA plant in Indiana, where the Rodeo was also built. The engine came from Japan, transmission from France (GM), however the rest of the car is not GM parts for the most part, and it definitely was NOT assembled by GM. So before you go spouting stuff get your facts straight.

Your ABS issue may or may not be related to the tires and suspension. The subaru guys have a similar problem with their ABS until they upgrade to better than factory tires.

-mike
    "It is on my purchase sticker 55% US/Canadian parts. The recalls (ABC Prime Time) May 3 2005 was for GMAC ( Trail Blazer, Envoy,Acsender, Escalade ETC years 1999 -2002, ABS not stopping the vehicles soon enough."

The Isuzu Ascender is listed in this recall group because it is a 100% GM product with an Isuzu badge on it. All Isuzu did was have GM make a few cosmetic changes to their Trailblazer/Envoy platform and they call it an Isuzu Ascender. The only thing the Axiom has in common with these GM vehicles is they all have 4 tires.

The problem with the Axiom/antilock brakes is the p.o.s. Goodyear Integrity tires they put on it. They are definitely the worst tires I have ever had and definitely do not belong on any SUV.

Change the tires and your problems will go away. I only wish the rest of us who were smart enough to drop these tires could get our tire money back from Isuzu.
    Which Subaru ?
    Did you check the court case link, full docket? Why was I awarded $6000.00 by arbitration? It was not because of the tire issue.
    I encourage everyone with the stock tire issue to log on to the NHTSA web site and report all incidents of failures. This is where the recalls are generated. I could have traded the vehicle, like some others did. Go to the NHTSA website and read the consumer complaints. go to this site also.

http://www.mycarstats.com/auto_Complaints/ISUZU_Complaints.asp
    Which shipped with RE92 tires which are decent but not for the enthusiastic driver of the WRX.

My guess is they gave you the $6k for some other reason and without knowing the full knowledge of the case, can't really comment on it.

But as was noted above the ASSENDER is a GM re-badge, not the AXIOM.

-mike
    same problem w/the goodyear integritys as everyone else seems to have/had, did a long research on the net on tires and thier performance and ratings. A good place to check ratings is www.tirerack.com as they sell and supply many of the tires to retailers in many parts of the country--- the ratings on the integrity's are great for dry roads--but thats where it stops- the ratings drop from there to as low as it gets--the michilins held decent ratings,except for snow conditions-and price,for my axiom I found the best all around rated (from excellent to superior in all categories ) to be the BF Goodrich traction TA/T all season touring which sells for 75.00 apiece thru tire rack plus 10.00 apiece for shipping! thats alot less than 175.00 for the michilins which don't rate as high--I purchased them and last week had them high speed balanced and mounted and they are so far wonderful,they are quiet,handle great in the rain (which seems to be abundant so far this year where i live) they corner nicely--respond nicely to steering, great hydro resistance,have a 70,000 mile warrenty,and ship via fedex or ups in 3 days to you or whoever you have do your tires local garage etc...this is just food for thought and info on another tire for those of you who are looking,and it won't put a big dent in your wallet-----happy trails!
    the axiom in question does have an nav system installed (not oem of course) the final price was 14 grand --which is 1 grand over book trade in value,with only 35,000 miles, 4x4 and meticulously kept,is a decent price even for a discontinued model,as I searched extensively online and found nothing under 15 grand for any comparable axiom,and as this is what we decided on we are thus far quite happy w/it,we did however take off the goodyears and replaced them with another tire,thnx for your input---happy trails
  • bradestokesbradestokes Member Posts: 7
    I'm noticing some shuddering when stopping from time to time. I just had the brakes replaced and rotors turned within the past year. It's almost like the abs is kicking in....
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks!
    Is it wet out? Are you still using the stock Goodyear tires? If so, they are the problem.
  • mitikdmitikd Member Posts: 6
    Have anyone replaced transmission fluid? It's usually required @60K miles. However, there is nothing about changing transmission fluid on the Axiom manual, and there is no dipstick (at least on 2002 model) to check if it's still pink color. I have 2002 Ax with 65K miles and I think that it's time to replace a fluid. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
    I had mine changed at 30k miles. I plan on doing it every 30k from now on. I had the work done at a transmission shop managed by a former Isuzu mechanic. He was very familiar with the 4L30E transmission in the Axiom and suggested it was a good move to have it flushed and filled every 30k.
  • newronewro Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2000 rodeo ls which runs great and always has. Been relatively trouble free, but with 82k miles on it, might be time for something newer. Thinking of a new '04 rodeo or the Axiom, My problem is Isuzu. They seem to be bailing out of the US marketplace and it makes me real uncomfortable.
    How have the Axioms held up qulity wise and it Isuzu staying or going? I had also heard that the Axiom is essentially the same as the GMC Envoy, is this true.
    Looks like I can get an '04 for next to nothing, loaded. Is this too good to be true? Thanks
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    No more US Rodeo or Axioms being built. The Ascender is an Isuzu version of the Trailblazer/Envoy.

I just looked and though it seems longer, the Rodeo and Axiom were made through the 2004 model year.

Latest rumors I heard was that about 2007 Isuzu planned to bring out a new vehicle in the US of their own design...not a copy of some GM vehicle. BUT the real questions are if they will be in the US that long and if so, can they come up with the $$$ to design and build a new SUV that will be a marketing success in the US? Noone seems to know that now, probably not even upper management at Isuzu. (The last info I remeber seeing was probably over 6 months ago. Has anyone seen anything lately on Isuzu's plans for the US?)

Bill