Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Axiom

Comments

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Some of the posts in the Owe more than it's worth... I'm upside down and I can't get up! discussion may be of interest.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    minimeeminimee Member Posts: 2
    thanks, i'll look there
  • Options
    jrock412calljrock412call Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of if there have been any cases of engine failure in the "03" Axiom. About a week ago I was just coming from the off the highway, when with no warning what so ever my truck just shut down. At first I thought it was the alternator, but after having it towed, my mechanic said that the engine had locked up. He didn't know exactly how but did say that it was full of oil. The truck is still under waranty. I bought it new in 2004, so there is absolutely no reason for the break down. I've kept the oil chaged every 3000 miles, what could have happened. Now it seems that they don't want to honor the waranty. Please give some feedback.
  • Options
    axiomloveraxiomlover Member Posts: 216
    Sounds like your engine's oil management may have malfunctioned, which caused the engine to seize. If it has enough oil and you did not abuse it (by running it at the red territory of the tachometer) or see any warning lights on the dashboard, there is absolutely no reason for Isuzu to refuse the repair. How many miles are there on your truck? Regardless, if you got the 120K mile drivetrain warranty, then Isuzu should cover the repair even if your truck had 119K miles on the odometer. See if you can find any maintenance records/receipts for oil changes or any other services performed. Also, demand a new engine instead of having them repair your seized engine. Get an attorney if you have to as an engine replacement could cost as much as $5,000 or more.
    Good luck and let us know what happens.
  • Options
    2_b_real2_b_real Member Posts: 1
    The thump noise is actually your driveshaft that needs to be lubricated at the dealer. My 02 Axiom has been in the shop twice for the same problem. They remove the whole driveshaft assembly and lubricate it with some (special) grease and reassemble it. The special grease is not special to me because of the 2nd application thereof.

They now say I have an issue with my EGR (dirty) and PVC valve (sticking), major $Bucks. Is this something I can do on my own with a repair manual? I'm no grease monkey but I can become an apprentice grease monkey at those dealer prices!!
  • Options
    chabechabe Member Posts: 5
    I agree 100% w/malsua--I have a 02 ax I bought 6 months ago and have just recently replaced the intake and plenum gaskets which screwed up the idle so bad that it either stalled at a stop or tried to propell me into the vehicle in front of me--the fuel filter was bad and changed as was the plugs--now i realize that i more than likely inherited most of these problems from the wise man that sold me the vehicle--I've worked on all my vehicles for the last 30 years,and am considered as a competant mechanic---my ax at the moment is running excellent - and the time to dump it is now which I am looking to do-much to my wifes dismay as she loves the thing as it is her car--but I see much expense and a lot of swearing down the road if i keep it--I will take a beating on this trade in --but not as bad a beating if I keep it--and it does ride like a stagecoach--I also live in heavy snofall and I will give credit due--The ax is as sure footed as any vehicle as I ve ever owned--prob more so--thnx
  • Options
    socalstevesocalsteve Member Posts: 34
    >>>The thump noise is actually your driveshaft that needs
    >>>to be lubricated at the dealer.

Is this considered a maintenence item or is it covered under warranty? I've got this thump sound as well in my '04 Axiom.
  • Options
    shogrenshogren Member Posts: 15
    The base of my heated does not work. I do not believe it is in the wiring as the back of the seat does have heat. Does the cushion need replacing or is the heating element between the leather and the padding? I have the extended 7 year 100,000 warranty which I believe covers this. Bad news nearest dealer is 150 miles away.
  • Options
    markhousemarkhouse Member Posts: 1
    I guess I would consider myself a happy Axiom owner (after having replaced the crappy goodyear tires it came with... I can actually stop on a wet surface now!)

Recently I decided to start upgrading the sound. I found some interesting facts out about the speakers. I replaced the front set with component speakers and to my surprise the same audio signal was being sent to the tweeters as was being sent to the main 6 1/2's. Knowing this I was able to install non-component speakers in the back doors with no loss of sound and a full $100 savings in the cost of the speakers. Just food for thought..

Now the fun part. No installer I've talked to so far will touch the head unit, nor offer other solutions to replacing it. Has anyone had any luck installing a replacement unit? Or had any luck installing the unit somewhere other than the center console? Thanks in advance
  • Options
    ezygoingezygoing Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Axiom has the low fuel light flash on & off & then check engine light comes on. Had the dealer check it out and they told me it was the fuel sending unit and on this model that you couldn't purchase a fuel sending unit without a new fuel pump for a total repair cost of $507.11. Not covered by warranty since I am not original owner and have 70k on it. Vehicle runs totally fine. Is this true that I have to purchase a new fuel pump as well? Will it hurt anything if I just keep driving it the way it is? The cel is annoying but it's cheaper than 500 bucks. Any suggestions? Is it possible just to get a fuel sending unit anywhere? I would appreciate any help. Thanks!
  • Options
    cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    You cut your losses by keeping the car (especially, an Isuzu) until the wheels fall off. If your '02 is worth 7-9K now then, honestly, there's not that much room for it to depreciate even more at this point ;-)

Check carmax.com to get an idea of retail prices in your area - they're actually MUCH higher than $9K for Axioms, so consider selling it privately if you can.

I'd myself happily pay $10K for it and I don't even need a car!

I would not recommend XC90 unless you enjoy coffee and cookies at your local Volvo dealership. That car is one of the least reliable vehicles in America. RX330 is worth the money but a Highlander (made in the same factory in Japan) is slightly bigger and cheaper with some additional discounts and, technically, as safe as the Volvo.
  • Options
    malsuamalsua Member Posts: 17
    >>My 2002 Axiom has the low fuel light flash on & off & then check engine light comes on. Had the dealer check it out and they told me it was the fuel sending unit and on this model that you couldn't purchase a fuel sending unit without a new fuel pump for a total repair cost of $507.11<<

Ugh, sucks to be you. Of course, my Range Selector Switch cost $411 bucks. That's a part that cost them about $3 bucks to make and took all of perhaps 20 minutes to replace. In a real world it would have been a $75 repair, but of course, we're not in the real world when discussing anything done by dealers.

That said, the flashing gas light and check engine light is a show stopper if you ever want to liberate yourself from this Axiom junk. Fortunately, I got mine replaced under warranty. Yes, I'm jaded. What you'll find is that it hit s a point where even a full tank of gas registers as about a quarter tank. That's when I took my Ax in. It's been a reliable piece of junk so I can't really complain. That said, over the past weekend, I drove my father in law's Acura and there's no comparison. At least in my old GMC Jimmy I could haul plywood even though it was almost "unsafe at any speed"

You can buy the part and do the repair yourself. It really isn't that big of a deal to drop a gas tank. I used to race cars and can rebuild engines without any issue, but some things I really don't want to do. If cost is an issue, just do it yourself.
  • Options
    polokid69polokid69 Member Posts: 6
    I bought one of the last 04 Axiom's the local Isuzu dealer had left. The dealer looked more like a used car dealership than a new car dealership since at the time I bought mine, only Assenders were being sold. Since then they now have the Isuzu/GM pickups. What has happened to the once great Isuzu nameplate ? I owned a 89 Trouper and that thing was indistructable ! I had been wanting one these Axioms for years but when they first came out I had just bought my 2nd Montero Sport. I found years later that because these Axioms were 04's, I could get a great deal on one so I traded my Montero Sport in since it had tranny issues and was out of warranty. I got 8K rebate off the Isuzu and that great Isuzu warranty. So far it's 10 months old and my ck engine light started coming on. I took it in and was told after a couple days that the cat converter had burned up. Appartly it's a GM part and will take weeks to get. I'm told it may be the end of March before it comes in. They did fix a door weatherstrip they noticed was bad and fixed some recall deal with the fuel system while they had it. Now I must sit and wait for the cat to come in from GM ! Arrg !
    Why should it take so long to get this frigging part ? Also around the same time my cruise stopped working which they claimed they will look at when they replace the cat. Overall I have been pleased with this vehicle. I love the ride and the all the bells and whistles it comes with. I especially love the power. I don't know how many cars I have blown away just by stepping on the gas ! I'm still concerned about this cat going out though, hopefully this is not a sign of things to come. Any one else experienced this ? Also, I saw someone tricked theirs out and modified the info center on the dash to say other things than "drive further" message that comes on when the key is first turned on, anyone know how this was done ?
  • Options
    I've got an '04 Axiom. My catalytic converter went out as a result of a bad plug coil. You might have your dealer check this--if it's the same problem, it'll just blow the converter again. I think it took about a week to get the converter in for my Axiom.
  • Options
    lovinmyaxiomlovinmyaxiom Member Posts: 4
    Mal,

Thanks again for your tip on the sending unit. I brought it into Family Izusu in Aurora, IL.

They had to replace the who fuel pump assembly which included the relay. It was covered under warranty. I had a leaking water pump, which they also convered under warranty, and replaced the timing belt while they were at it, only cost to me was the belt $60.00. They also replace a leaking seal in the rear axle, again covered under the power train warranty.

They gave me no hassles about it, or honoring the warranty.

They suggested having the fuel system cleaned, and carbon buildup removed from the air intake? Any thoughts on wiether that is worth it? They wanted $225.00 I declined for now.

They wanted $275 to replace the back brake pads, and resurface the rotors, I thought that was kinda high. Going to search around.

Thanks Again for your help

-- Jim
  • Options
    Fuel system cleaning is a euphamism for "we got a live one". Most vehicles don't have any issues with built up carbon(until they have 150k miles or more) and the same effect can be had using a gasoline additive detergent. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're noticing a loss or power or gas mileage.

I had my front pads replaced and the rotors turned at 30k miles at Midas. Since it's 4x4, they have to repack the bearings and such. I paid $265 for it. I'm unclear if they have to repack the the bearing on the back if they pull the rotors, but I suspect so. The upside to using midas is that if the rotors don't warp, they replace the pads for free for life and you aren't at the mercy of the dealer. You know, "dealertude" of drop it off, we'll call ya. I've always had a good experience at Midas. Fixed in an hour or so and no surly dealer ahole who treats you like he's doing you a favor.

Replacing the timing belt for $60 is a good deal. Either that it's a snap to replace. :)

Good luck.

-Mal
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My minivan has occasional throttle tip-in problems caused by "carbon" build up on the butterfly in the throttle body. The giveaway for me is the jumpiness when starting away from a red light.

The dealer charges about $80 to clean it.

All I do is remove the air filter housing, squirt some throttle body cleaner in there and wipe it down with a rag. If I'm real ambitious I'll try to get a toothbrush on it too.

A can of cleaner safe for fuel injected engines runs around $6 and the whole process takes about an hour or less every 30,000 miles. Maybe it's something feasible to do on your rig.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Steve,

No question, if your vehicle has issues with carbon build up, fix it. MOST vehicles built recently don't get much blow back into the intake because of extremely accurate cam timing.

A can of Ether will also clean it out. It shouldn't be much of an issue to spend a few bucks. That said, the Axiom has a fairly complex intake plenum/air intake system. I would only bother if the vehicle isn't working right. My ax has 60k miles on it and it runs the same as it did when new.
  • Options
    polokid69polokid69 Member Posts: 6
    3/14/06 I am still waiting for my cat converter and now I'm told that it may be April before they have the parts. From Isuzu's corp offices, they tell me it's on nationwide back order which doesn't sound good. Now my cruise is out and so is my ABS. Doesn't look too good.
  • Options
    autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    I don't believe this vehicle will be gone long. I predict 1 to come using the platform from the equinox...
  • Options
    j_rohasj_rohas Member Posts: 6
    How do i reset the ABS dashlight on my Isuzu Amigo 1999.
    Could to help new brake pads?
  • Options
    waynesworldwaynesworld Member Posts: 3
    Surely by now someone has to have found a suitable replacement for the electronically controlled shock absorbers.
    Is the dealer the only source for lubrication of the driveshaft? I am trying to stay away from the dealer-They wanted $99 for a check engine light,went to Amco and they found the gas cap not secured all the way,reset the code and all has been fine. Cost was $0
  • Options
    entact1entact1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2004 Axiom, and recently I have been hearing squeaking noises coming from the rear hatch. The noise appears if I make turns, or go over bumps on the road. I screwed off the rubber absorbers from the body and hatch, also added some industrial adhesive felt on certain areas. I still get the noise, and I believe its coming from the hatch's latch lock. Anyone experiencing this or resolved it?
  • Options
    isuzu2004isuzu2004 Member Posts: 3
    Same thing here..it's like a rattling noise and it drives me nuts. The only time I don't hear it is if the back seats are leveled down to make more room in the trunk.
    First I thought it was the seat belt or the seat itself making noises when I hit bumps. Let me know if you get the problem resolved, I have an '04 as well.
  • Options
    pitt4pitt4 Member Posts: 20
    I've got an '02 2wd with 134K on it. I had/have the same issue, but may be a different source.
    In my case the locking mechanism for the rear seat (R-rear) was rubbing on the "retainer" for lack of a better word. It caused a high pitch squeek. With the seats "up" pull back and forth on them. The dealer greased them some time ago but I didn't want to deal with the hassle or mess of greasing it periodically. I put a few wraps of electical tape and it has been fine since.
    Good luck with it.
    Darin
  • Options
    mitikdmitikd Member Posts: 6
    I have around 80K miles on my Axiom. lately truck started to idle at very low RPMs (below 500), had reduce power, and sometimes even shuts off while driving or idling. When you turn AC on, it's gratually droping RPMs and eventually shuts off. After it shuts, you can't start a truck untill it's "cool-off" for 6-10 hours, and when it warm up, it's all over again. Truck has been at the dealership for 2 weeks now, and they still can't figure out what's the problem. Any imputs will be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    entact1entact1 Member Posts: 7
    Well I applied your method, and added electrical tape around the latch's bar where the hatch locks. Also cut some Surface Guard's adhesive felt and stuck it to the bottom of the locking mechanism. When the hatch is closed, this should avoid metal/plastic contact when it meets to the plastic. It has been 2 days, and I haven't had any noise/squeaks from the rear hatch since the fix.
  • Options
    dvsdeadvsdea Member Posts: 1
    are any of the other isuzu SUV's roof rack fit the axiom's roof?
  • Options
    ccarofknowldgeccarofknowldge Member Posts: 19
    I just recently noticed that if I shift slowly between Park and Reverse (at a full stop with my foot on the brake pedal), there is a jump in rpm from about 850 upto about 1200. In the years I've owned the truck I never noticed this before.

Is this normal for this truck or is there a problem with the transmission ?

Thanks for any help and experimenting you folks can offer.
  • Options
    ccarofknowldgeccarofknowldge Member Posts: 19
    I need to re-state my question a little.

After warming up the engine and with the A/C off,
    I just recently noticed that if I shift slowly from Reverse to Park (at a full stop with my foot on the brake pedal), there is a jump in rpm from about 750 (at Reverse) upto about 900 (midway between Reverse and Park) and then back down to 750 rpm (at Park).

In the years I've owned the truck I never noticed this before.

Is this normal for this truck or is there a problem with the transmission ?

Thanks for any help and experimenting you folks can offer.
  • Options
    randi26randi26 Member Posts: 1
    I am going to test drive this vehicle today. It is an 02 xs with 70k on it. They are asking $12,888, but I definatly won't pay that much/ They said they will work with me on the price. What should I look for? I have read about bad brakes, problems with rpm's ect. Is this model long lasting? Will it go up to 150k or more without serious problems? I want this to last thru till it's paid off. (if I get it)It has a clean title and was kept serviced (previous owner works at the dealership)Any advice will help. I don't want to make a mistake! Thank you.
  • Options
    I'm posting this just in case anyone else needs a touch of advice for installing a hitch on their Axiom. Mine is a 2002, no clue if it's different for later model.

First off, you need a hitch. I bought one online for $180 bucks. You can probably find it a few dollars cheaper, shrug.

Next, you need some method of drilling out a 1 inch hole. I used a bosch Step Drill SDH4. Cost me about 30 bucks. I drilled out the hole so the flat plate would fit in. The metel chunks burnt me so I put on a long sleeve shirt and a glove. I ran some florist wire through the hole the bolt ends up in and out to the new 1 inch hole I drilled. I attached the wire to the very end of the bolt and worked the whole thing out. It sounds difficult, but it isn't really. Just attach the wire to the end of the bolt, work it up into the frame rail and pull it down.

I then found out I needed to lower the spare tire. What a fiasco that was. The spare on the Axiom is suspened by a chain. you need to get the jack rods out from under the passenger rear seat, insert the rod through a hole just above the bumper and hope you can manager to insert it into the spare tire "chain jack". It took me about a half hour to get the damn thing into the right hole. If you've never dropped the spare tire on your Ax, don't hesitate, go now and try it. You'll be scratching your head how the rod goes together, and how to turn it. Better to learn it now when you aren't at the side of the road tryig to figure it out.

After dropping the spare, getting the hitch up was a snap. You need 15/16 socket and or wrench to tighten the bolts. It says "75-100" foot pounds of torque. I just tightened it to the "mal spec" as in, tight as both arms pulling, braced feet against the rear wheel.

Viola! image">
  • Options
    did you make the purchase?
  • Options
    gorilladuckgorilladuck Member Posts: 2
    The noise you're hearing is probably coming form where the back seats lock into place (on the sides by the headrest). That's why you don't hear it when the seats are down. I have this same noise and it's been driving me crazy. I hear it going over bumps and making lower speed turns. I finally isolated it tonight after months of searching - it's hard to duplicate when not driving, but here's how I did it. Open one of the back doors and keep the back seats up. Place one hand inside the car on the c-pilar (just above the catch on the top of the rear seat)and on hand on the outside of the car in the same place (where the bottom corner of the rear glass meets the door opening). Kind of pull and push your hand back and forth like you're flexing the frame at that point. You should hear the clunking. Put the seats down and try again if you hear the noise and it should stop.

I haven't decide what I'm going to do to fix it yet. I'll take a look at it in the morning. It was late when I finally figured out what was going on.
  • Options
    rcopa1rcopa1 Member Posts: 24
    I wrapped some electical tape around the latch (the loop where it locks into place). The problem went away. It drove me crazy for a few months before i figured it out.
  • Options
    gorilladuckgorilladuck Member Posts: 2
    Cool. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks.
  • Options
    cptsessocptsesso Member Posts: 116
    Anyone out there have a manual for the Axiom or a link to one. I want to do my own brakes and rotors but am a little unsure about repacking the front wheel bearings. I looked at the article from Planet Isuzu about doing the bearings, but the pictures look different than the Axiom front end.
  • Options
    cptsessocptsesso Member Posts: 116
    I found the answer to my own question. If your Axiom was produced before July 31, 2001 you have to clean and repack the front bearings every 30k miles. If your Axiom was produced after August 1, 2001 you only inspect the hub unit bearing for axial rattle every 60k miles.

It sounds like the later Axioms have sealed bearings in the front. Makes my brake and rotor job easier now.
  • Options
    cuzinbuzzy02axcuzinbuzzy02ax Member Posts: 4
    I'm the proud owner of a 2002 Ax, Anthracite w/ 2 tone leather. I am going to keep it (since it has no trade-in value) and decided to do some upgrades. They worked out pretty well, so I'll share them with you.
    Stereo upgrade----JBL 6.5" speakers in all 4 doors---not too expensive---and makes a pretty big difference. I had them leave the stock tweeter components hooked up (I bought 3 ways for all 4 doors) so I have even better top end, and DEFINITELY more bass. But I went 1 step farther and had them install a Pyramid equalizer/booster (906VL). They mounted it on the side of the center console on the driver's side, and wired it into all 4 speakers. Now it really cranks!!! There is some ignition whine, but when you crank it up you can't hear it. You can turn off the amp/eq and it will work like stock. Overall, an excellent upgrade for less than $500.
    Suspension upgrade---I had air bag suspension installed in the rear----bags that go inside the coil springs---with an air hose at the back that you fill at a tire air pump. It firmed up the ride (took the bounce and body lean way down), and took all the bottoming out of the suspension. In sport mode, it rides almost as well as my friend's 2005 Highlander. It also added 1000lbs of towing capacity.
    Parts and installation $230.
    That's it for now. Get in touch with me if you have any questions. CB
  • Options
    We basically have the same vehicle and I am interested in your suspension mods-what brand air bags did you use? Do you plan on replacing the shocks -I have been looking but not finding. One of our front shocks appears to be leaking and will need replacing,and I don't want to go to the dealer.
    Wayne
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Get in touch with me if you have any questions.

We have a wonderful place right here to "get in touch" and share ideas.

tidester, host
  • Options
    cuzinbuzzy02axcuzinbuzzy02ax Member Posts: 4
    I used the Airlift 1000 air bags.
    http://www.airliftcompany.com/al1000.htm

As far as I can tell, there are no aftermarket shocks. Looks like a dealer-only item.

CB
  • Options
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • Options
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Isuzu Axiom
  • Options
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • Options
    mdossettmdossett Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Axiom, at initial start the engine makes a clacking sound for 2-3 minutes until the engine is warm or reaches operating temp. It sounds as if the valves are noisy until oil circulation has equalized through-out the engine. It seems like this sound is getting louder as startup and taking a little longer to go away as engine warmes up. I am concerned that this is causing more engine wear than normal and will result in problems later.

Anyone else observe this problem? any solutions? Dealer says this is normal for this model, of course the Dealer no longer is an authorized Isuzu dealer so they are probably saying anything to keep me away.
  • Options
    I've got an '04 also. There is a slight clicking sound in mine that I believe is a result of the Direct Injection--it has that diesel sound to it. I notice it only at start-up, but then I've usually got the radio on after that. It's done it since it was new, and the truck has almost 50,000 miles now with no problem related to that.
  • Options
    rsarnolrsarnol Member Posts: 7
    anybody out there know of any places or websites that handle custom parts and accessories for Axiom's like body kits or chrome accents things of that nature?
  • Options
    dgluthdgluth Member Posts: 50
    I have a 2002 Axiom with 28K miles on it (I know I don't drive a lot of miles) and I just had the oil change done. The mechanic told me that I have a leak in my rear axel seal (passenger side) and suggested I call Isuzu and see if it is covered under the power train warrenty. The bumper to bumper just ran out like six months ago (dooh).

Any insight would be appreciated. Also the mechanic said then can fix it for under 150, might be easier then trying to get it done by Isuzu, who knows?

Thanks
    Dennis P.
  • Options
    Dennis:

According to the Isuzu website:
    Isuzu warranty

the axle seals are covered. I'd go to an Isuzu dealer, if one is close.