Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M Owners: Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• Options
    tcheckotchecko Member Posts: 2
    I have same tire and wheel size. Difficulty can be lack of camber adjustment at the front tires so the tires feel always out of balance. Have dealer work on the rear camber which is adjustable (I believe) as to minumize the front problem. This can be done.There is no fix for the front chamber. Hopefully it left the factory within spec.
    If the wheel balancing tech uses too thick of a lead balancing weight, it will get a slow leak where that weight is unless you pressurize the tire high enough to compress the wire sidewall as to seal the leak ( not a finial solution). My tire guy used a sealing compound to seal the whole tire to rim area. Worked OK. Hope this helped.
  • Options
    denisefromca1denisefromca1 Member Posts: 22
    I noticed that I had acquired a rattle/knocking noise from under my 300M when going over the tiniest of bumps. Of course Big'O tires charged me to replace darn near everything but the bushings in an attempt to quiet the noise. Unfortunatly I could only pacify the problem by turning up my infinity stereo system. I took my 99 into the dealership because I also noticed that her steering was losening up and since reading some posts on here, I hoped that the rattle, as in other 300M's in this forum could be from the rack and pinion steering box. YOU WERE RIGHT!!!! The steering box needed to be replaced. I just picked her up last night and she drives with no rattle and the steering is perfect. Oh, and that light show I was getting when my headlights were on was fixed by replacing the light switch. No more disco ball effects while driving at night lol. Cost me 1,400 dollars due to a worthless warranty, But I think the dealership must have felt a little guilty about it because they cleaned her up! So, if your hearing a rattle from under the car, and nobody seems to know where it's coming from.....CHECK YOUR STEERING BOX!
  • Options
    I live in cali and fell in love with the 300m the first time I saw it shown at Pier 39 in San Francisco in 1999. Bought a loaded 99 with only 35,000 miles from a chrysler dealership. It was leased so was kept in great condition. Even though I've had some problems , I STILL LOVE THIS CAR! She's gunmetal grey with dark grey interior, infinity speakers,moon roof, blah blah blah, you know, the usual luxury items. I have been on a quest to make her my own by changing the exhaust so she sounds "incredible"(what I did is described in another part of the forum), put in a dash mat, bought her the 300M bra, installed a "sidewinder" alarm with self-starter(you gotta see their faces when she starts up and nobodies inside her) besides, in the winter, it's great to have the seats warmed! Now I'm getting a spoiler,and custom grill(although I'm torn as to whether or not keep the chrysler emblem). After my Tires wear out(hopefully by next year) I'm planning on changing my 18's to 20's with low profile tires and some wicked rims!!! ar ar ar! Ahhhhhh it's the little things (smile) Any other suggestions? Thanks for reading........D
  • Options
    figgamanfiggaman Member Posts: 3
    The only thing that is going to help is to get rid of the Goodyears. This is probably the only real problem I have with any of my 300Ms. For performance I like the Pirelli's, for Quiet ride and straight-line I use the Continentals, and for playground swings, I use the Goodyears. You'll be very impressed and more pleased with the 300M experience after the replacement.
  • Options
    figgamanfiggaman Member Posts: 3
    I'm a Texan and have three 300Ms. 1 99 and Two 2000s. I really like the look I get when I get Concept One here in Texas to put on a "fade" paint scheme, custom wheels and spoiler. I had all three done this way! My bride's start as candy apple red on top and fades to black cherry on the rocker panels. Mine is a metallic silver flake on top going to a darker silver on the bottom. And my daughter's has the Bright Blue to Midnite Blue treatment on hers.

A few things I have learned.
    1. Never use the Security Sears Die-Hard in your 300M. You will end up stranded in the middle of nowhere! (use the standard Gold)

2. Burn the Goodyear Tires (at least the 225 17s that come stock.)

3. Have the dealer put in the "front end adjustment" shims as soon as possible. You will eventually need a front end alignment and it never fails that you are going to have it done when it is most inconvenient to get to the dealer!

4. Watch the break pads (especially on your daughter's car!) They don't make as much noise as other brands when they rest against the "low wear" indicator.

5. Never let your boss drive your car. They will try to borrow it whenever possilbe!
  • Options
    Thanks so much for the tire recommendation. I'm going to make sure and have the dealer do that "front end adjustment" shims when I get rid of these Goodyears. It sounds to me like you enjoy the sporty side of the 300M as well. I'm curious if you have altered your exhaust , air filter or motified the engine in any way. To bad I didn't see your 300M in Texas, I was just there visiting family a few weeks ago. Sounds like a sweeeeeeet car. As a matter of fact, I looked "everywhere" in the Houston/Deer Park/kema area's and didn't see a single one! What's up with that?(gig'em Aggies)
  • Options
    drivequalslovedrivequalslove Member Posts: 11
    Was this covered in an earlier post, or can someone point to a web site or something with more details on this "front end adjustment shim"?

Was this a TSB?
  • Options
    The post about the front end adjustment is located right above mine from Figgaman. He makes some very good suggestions.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Just found this board again. It gave me a chuckle to see only 8 mods two years ago I have done 56 new mods, not counting the ones I have redone. Some like the (4th)intake and (5th) center dash have been done several times I just finished making clear lens front turn signals, and even installed HID in the stock headlamps. Now it is a new grille and of course relocating the monitors for better viewing.
    Still loving this car.
  • Options
    abrown1abrown1 Member Posts: 1
    Karen, I would like a discusion about a problem that I feel is a general problem that is tires loosing air. I took my 2000 300M to a tire shop and they said that Chrsylers and Caddilacs are noted problems with tires going flat, because of corosion of the aluminum rims. I approached the dealer and they agreed that that is a problem and indicated that they could clean the rims, but that the problem would most likely continue. I then wrote to Chrsyler and asked them and they rejected this problem indicated that it was not their concern. Has anyone have similar problems?
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    My 99M is 6.5 years old now and I have oversized 245/50-17 on the 7.5" rims. The mantra from the shop when they went on is that I would lose 2 to 3 pounds of air a week in them. I have found that this is true on a couple of them. The others have held the air very well. I check at least every 10 days and especially in colder temps when the air compresses a lot. Anyway, what I found from talking with my tire shop guy is that the air from gas stations gets pumped in with a lot of moisture unless you have a blocker that takes it out. I don't. But if you see what is going in you will understand how corrosion can occur. The last time I had them take a shot at a tire they took the tire off and took emery cloth to the edge of the rim to try to smooth off the corrosion. It helped marginally, which brought me to the check em every week or 10 days and adjust em. I have 73+K miles on the car and almost 35K on the Goodrich tires. When they go, I will consider if there is another option or just live with it. As long as it is a couple of pounds a week I can live with it. Don't expect to put a new set of wheels on as my baby is now my second ride and sharing time with my 04 Corvette.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    My '99M with the chrome Razorstars/Goodyears Eagle LS has seen air loss issues. My tire shop gave me the same explanation, corrosion of the rims. They too mentioned Caddy and Chrysler because they sell more chrome rims. The shop, as mentioned above, cleans up the rims when I bring it in.

Like BigMike, I check the pressure regularly and add air (for $30 or less you can buy your own compressor...). I'm at 66,600 miles with two of the original Eagles left (on the rear) and add air semi-regularly.

Currently car shopping: Acura TL, Infinit G35X and MB E320. Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Still love the M, though. Not sure if I want to part with it, but leery of carrying a first model year Chrysler into the 70,000 mile+ range...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    If you don't need the extra 2 seats in the back, I have discovered that there is a huge amount of storage space in the 04 Vette coupe. And it doesn't come with or need a spare. Great deals are still out there on the 04's. lol
  • Options
    But, married with children...!

Although I don't need four doors, do need the 4 seats. That does eliminate several tasty selections, doesn' it! But then again, so does my bank account. ;-)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    nohohunnohohun Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 99 Chrysler 300M (72,000mi) Everything seems fine.
    I just wanted to introduce myself and say "Hey, I know why you love the car cause I do too"
    So. It's all stock, (cept for the radio. I had to have my mp3 player which took negated my amp :cry: but i'll get a new one soon)
    Any suggestions as to first upgrade(s) or should I have anything checked out first?
    Open to suggestions.
  • Options
    javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    Hello to all, I'm a new owner of a 2003 Special M with 5,980 miles on it, just got it 3 days ago and loving it.

I will get some pictures up for you all to see this thing.
  • Options
    dwbestdwbest Member Posts: 1
    The 300M we have is a 99 model. It's the wife's car. It too has had problems with tires losing air. This is a fix:

Remove tire. Deflate tire. Lay tire on it's side. Inject "FLOWABLE SILICON" between tire and rim. Let sit for about 15 minutes. Flip tire over and repeat process. Reinflate tire.

Flowable silicon is also called windshield sealer. It's a small tube of silicon that is almost runny. It will seal the leaks between the tire and rim even on a rim that has corrosion.

You can also have a tire repair guy just break down the tire bead, smear silicon on it and reinflate the tire if you don't want to mess with it yourself.

I did this about three years ago. No more leaks. She just got a new set of tires early this year and one leaked. I, again, put silicon on the tire/rim and no more leak.
  • Options
    Here ia a shot of my Special M.

• Options
    tiki007tiki007 Member Posts: 2
    MY NAME IS TIKI007,FROM N.J.I HAVE A 2000/ 300M,,,,A VERY NICE CAR,,,,THE DEALER,, IN CHERRY HILL NJ,,,,DODGE TRIPLEX,,, OVER CHARGED ME ,, BUT THEY OVER CHARGE EVERY BODY,, WHO BUYS A CAR,,,,(((DON'T GO THERE////BE SMART STAY AWAY)))))THE CAR NEEDED SOME WORK,,,,,BUT NOW EVERYTHING WORKS NOW,,,,,,WELL NOT EVERYTHING THE DOOR LOCKS MAKE NOISE,,,WHEN YOU LOCK THEM,, OR WHEN YOU UNLOCK THEM,,,,,,HAS ANY ONE GOT ANY IDEAS????OR WHERE I CAN TAKE IT TO GET FIXED,,,,WITH OUT BREAKING THE BANK,,,,,//////////THANKS :cry:
  • Options
    tiki007tiki007 Member Posts: 2
    IF YOUR THINKING ABOUT BUYING A 300/ 300C/ 300M.........STAY AWAY FROM TRIPLEX DODGE IN CHERRY HILL NJ,,,,IF YOU WANT A PROBLEM FREE CAR.......OTHER WISE YOU WILL BE PAYING TWICE THE PRICE.......BE ////SMART/////// :mad:
  • Options
    Beautiful car, Javidogg! Makes me miss my '99 Platinum M just a little more...

• Options
    Thanks there laurasdada.
  • Options
    sirby1sirby1 Member Posts: 3
    At 16700 miles my 2005 300M started cutting out while driving 50 mph. When I got home it was really shaking so I gave it a rest. I went out an hour later and it wouldn't start. The check engine light, TSB/BAS lights came on as well as a small light below and to the right of the fuel gage. Dealer ship found a bad Drive Tran Module. Chrysler had them submit a claim, and are now refusing to allow the dealer to order the part. The dealer is have a show down with Chysler over their warranty! I love my car, but really beginning to dislike Chrysler. Anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    I don't know about a 2005 300M, last I heard they stop production on the 300M's on 2004, maybe you meant a 2005 300C?
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Probably not at 167K...
  • Options
    It's probably more like a 2005 300C with 1,6700 miles.
  • Options
    scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Oh, of course. I've been ill all weekend -- can't concentrate!
  • Options
    sec_mansec_man Member Posts: 1
    I began experiencing a tranny problem with my 2001 300M. On occasion, after backing out of a parking slot and then shifting into Drive, the tranny doesn't engage - it sits in a neutral position. I have to shift back into Reverse and then into Drive again. Usually, I only have to do this process once. The dealership scoped it out and said they got a P1791-Loss of Prime diagnostic, and want $1400 to replace the front pump and torque converter. My car has 75K miles and I'm religious with keeping up the maintenance. Does this problem sound typical for a 300M, or is the dealer taking me for a ride?
  • Options
    300mer300mer Member Posts: 1
    Hey My friend. I had the same noise and had to replace my door actuator. I haven't had another problem with my door locks since.
  • Options
    bigdadgolferbigdadgolfer Member Posts: 1
    On 12/31/31 I had a similar issue with my 2002 300M. However, I lost my entire transmission. I am lucky in that the included 8 Yr/80K warranty is covering the replacement. This problem occurred 4 days after my local dealer performed the 60K mile scheduled transmission maintenance. I believe that the dealer made some error in the service and caused the problem in the first place. My recomendation would be to get it looked at before you have a major failure.
  • Options
    simbrosimbro Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 300m and over the weekend the check engine light came on. we looked at the manual and it said that i should check the gas cap. did that and it seemed fine. later that day the light went off but then it turned back on the next time. we had it looked at and were told that the code that came up was not common and to they did a reset on the computer. since then the light has been on and i check the gas cap and it is tight. the car drives fine, but does anybody have any idea what could be causing this?
  • Options
    capsicapsi Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the transmission on my 2002 300M. It blew at 170,000 miles. So obviously no warranty. My mechanic wanted about 3,200 for a rebuilt. I went on line and found a used transmission from an on line parts dealer for $400.00. (including shipping) He said it was in an accident with 21,000 miles and had the carfax to prove it. My mechanic said it came to him in good shape. He added a new radiator kit and new hoses. He said this was necessary because he didn't want any of the metal pieces to go back into the replaced transmission. He said he could have flushed them out but this was safer. It cost another 250.00 for the assessories but I figure it wasn't worth the risk of damaging the new/used tranny. Initially he said it was going to be another $600 or so in labor but you know how that goes. The labor cost and assessories ended up at$1,700. So all in I am at $2,100.00. Not bad but there is one more issue. I had the automatic with the shift option. I don't think the tranny I got has that feature. So it looks like I am going to have a straight automatic. I guess that is what happens when you buy used parts.
  • Options
    mdean1mdean1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi - I've had this SAME problem on and off since the car was in warranty. I was told it could be a $400 job since they have to take the door off. What's your experience with this?

Thanks

Meryl
  • Options
    ballysmom52ballysmom52 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    aj86aj86 Member Posts: 6
    Im having the same problem and I changed the tires like two times and went to the shop so they could fix the problem or something. They put somthing that looked like a dark material not sure what is was, but it worked fine for like about a month and that the same problem came again. I went back to the shop and I told them that the air comes out again the checked for nails or anithing like that but, could not find anything. They he said that their was something wrong inside the rim that causes the air to come out. Until that I have had no solution to it. But to get new rims. Hope this was of some help to you.

aj86.
  • Options
    roy300mroy300m Member Posts: 1
    I've had leaking rims for 30,000 mi., about 2 years. I contacted my Chrysler dealer ( where I bought the car new in Dec.2000) who said he encountered 1 problem in 10 years as service mgr. Instead of having me go to them with the problem he recommended I go back where I bought the tires. I now feel he lied to me and did not want to deal with the problem.
    The tire dealer was very familiar with the problem. The Chrysler 300M has chrome plating over Aluminum rims. It seems as though this is not a good long term relationship. The Chrome on the inside edge of the rim where the tire seals, RUSTS, in large chunks and causes the tire to lose air. He showed me the rim when he broke it down from the tire, I could not believe the amount of rust.
    Now the real bad news, I called my Chrysler dealership for rims and got a price of $780.00. I didn't think that was horrible until I found out that was for ONE RIM.

I had the tire guy clean up the rusted rims and put them back on the car. YOU CANNOT SEE THIS RUST until you break the tire from the rim. I know I didn't fix the problem only delayed the fix.
    My car is a 2000, 300M with 106,000 mi. This is one of the best cars I have ever owned, and I would buy another one with no hesitation.
  • Options
    Greetings, former 300M onwer here (one of the original posters in this forum back in '99!). I had a '99 300M w/chrome Razorstars. Same deal, for the last few months of ownership, loss of air. My tire shop offered the same explanation: rust. He stated that he sees a bunch of Chryslers & Caddys with this issue as they offered the most chrome wheels. He could repair the rust, but it would return (or in different spots...). He said not much more you can do, other than new wheels.

Instead, I just bought a new car! Really enjoyed my M, still miss it. Other than a few early, well known in-warranty issues, no problems (other than the chrome wheels). My M restored my faith in domestic cars. But, as it was a first model year Chrysler, I did not want to keep it past 70,000 miles. It was going to need work, something wasn't quite right in the front suspension... Plus, I just wanted a new car! As I do now... It's a disease.

• Options
    The 300M Enthusiasts Club is sponsoring another meet at Indy for Mayor's Breakfast/Bump Weekend. The Club was there last year and had a great time. We invite any 300M owner and Treps are welcome too to join us for a great time. We got to do a lap on the track last year and expect to do that again this year if weather and qualifications coorperate. The Breakfast is not cheap, but the benefits are excellent. My blurb from the Club site is as follows.

Indy club sign-up and payment set-up

I have confirmed with the Indy 500 Festival that the Club will be able to get the same rate as last year for the Mayor's Breakfast on Saturday, 17 May 2008, which will include a lap on the Brickyard track if weather and qualifications permit. This is the same as it was last year and while a lap is extremely likely, we cannot guarantee on that point.

The Breakfast is a sumptuous affair that starts around 0830 and allows you to rub elbows [and other parts if you are lucky] with some of the festival Princesses and also perhaps interact with Indiana mayors and the race car celebrities who attend the Breakfast. You also get priority parking in close to the Pagoda, a special seating area in the stands behind pit road, and access to the garage areas where photos and autographs can be obtained sometimes. Bobby Rahal will be the speaker at the Breakfast. I will endeavor to try to get some photog work set up to commemorate the lap on the track and hopefully get it so that we can all kind of go as a group rather than the haphazard way that we got on the track last year due to some breaks in the traffic. I can make no promises on these two points but I will be trying to arrange it.

Last year there were upwards of twenty Indy cars running on the track after the Breakfast was over. There was also a commemorative pin handed out to those who got in line for one. That should happen again this year.

Arrangements have been made with a new hotel [Holiday Inn at the Pyramid] and the rate is $89 and just mention the Club when making your reservation.

Tickets for the Breakfast, etc., will be handled as follows, and like we did last year. Paulette Waters our Treasurer will take PayPal payments to her from all that are signing up if they want to go to the Breakfast and do a lap on the track [you don't have to go to the Breakfast to attend the meet] and payments of $60 should be sent to her at the attached Paypal link: Go to paypal and send $60 to: treasurer300mclub@hotmail.com

She will also take Checks:
    Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
    c/o Paulette Waters
    1270 Del Lilly Ln
    Las Vegas, NV 89123-1480

Paulette will compile a list and at the appropriate time make a single payment to the 500 Festival. Tickets and waiver of liability forms will be sent to John, as we did last year, and he will distribute them the day before at the hotel or as other wise arranged for those who need it done differently. The waiver of liability is a must to run on the track. I urge you to check your schedules and make your reservations as soon as possible so that we will have a good frame of reference to deal with the 500 Festival people and can get the right number of 10 person tables for the club. As with last year, the event is a Black and White affair [checkered flag colors] so plan on wearing white and black clothing [Club jackets and hats were good] if you have it for the Breakfast. I will have assorted favors, lights, hats?, signs, etc. as appropriate to commemorate the event. Those wishing to attend the meet but not the Breakfast are welcome to do so.

I am hopeful that we can have another "once in a lifetime" event the second time around. :shades:
    Hi karen, my name is Scott. I own a 2000 300m & just LOVE it. I'm having a couple of issues with it right now & posted the question on here & am excited to fix it!
    Anyhow, I'm in Denver Colorado & it would be cool to see some other owners who dig their 300m ride's as much as I do post on here. My goal is to make it a true 300m by modifying it to put out 300 horsepower ;) . I'll keep ya posted! :shades: :shades: :shades:
  • Options
    rufuglyrufugly Member Posts: 6
    THanks for the response. Dlr still has the car...has had it for 5 days. Thinks its bad gas....oh yea? Well we will see. Thanks for the tip on where to post too. It was definitely knocking not ticking. Has't done it since so see what the Dlr and D/C comes up with.
    Was going to ask if accidentally mixed with diesel or bad gas. I've seen multiple cars fill up with gas only to make it a few blocks away to wait for me and my tow truck (land shark) to assist them to dealership. It took two cars from same station with identical problem for me to contact station to shut down suspected tank. Also informed dealer and owner 
  • Options
    rufuglyrufugly Member Posts: 6
    abrown1 said:
    Karen, I would like a discusion about a problem that I feel is a general problem that is tires loosing air. I took my 2000 300M to a tire shop and they said that Chrsylers and Caddilacs are noted problems with tires going flat, because of corosion of the aluminum rims. I approached the dealer and they agreed that that is a problem and indicated that they could clean the rims, but that the problem would most likely continue. I then wrote to Chrsyler and asked them and they rejected this problem indicated that it was not their concern. Has anyone have similar problems?
    Millions of cars GM CHRYSLER BUICK any car with aluminum rims with chrome coating. The chrome degrades on the rim just under the bead to tire. No real fix grind off loose chrome then coat with liquid rubber when replacing or remounting tires. It will. Y you a couple of years of unexpected low or slow leakers.