Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Owners-Meet the Members

Comments

• bwminbwmin Member Posts: 4
    I just picked 01 SS EX up. It took 6 weeks to get. I paid slightly less than MSRP and got free air deflector. The salesperson at the dealer treated me very well. However, attitude of a business manager there was pretty bad. Since I know the extended HCW price over the web, I declined her expensive HCW offer ($1615?) for 7yrs/100k/$0. When I told her detail, she just started to ignore me and my wife. Although my paper work was not done, she laodly talked to somebody outside her office with a little biy mad face. Anyway, it's OK. There is no reason for me to spend extra money to make her happy. Besides, I got pretty good car at relatively good price from nice salesperson. My first drive was pretty good, too. All the information from edmunds and honda-odyssey were very useful. If I knew the information earlier than my order, I could have received better offer than my purchase. Nonetheless, I'm happy so far. Thanks to all who have shared their info with me in the owner's club forums.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Yes...OR, you can do this.

kelsen Apr 9, 2001 12:07pm

From the TH help document:

TIP: To create a link to another post, find the number identifying the post you wish to create a link to. It will say #369 of 370, and the first number, in this case 369, will be an underlined link.

Right-click (for PCs) or control-click (for Macs) on the first, linked, number and select "Copy link" to clipboard from the popup menu. Go down to the post box and select Paste from the Edit menu for your browser. Something will appear that looks like this pasted into the postbox:
    townhall-talk2.edmunds.commilindc "Honda Accord 4" Oct 13, 2000 5:47am

This URL will be turned into a link by the software automatically when the message is posted. When the message is posted, it will look something like this: author-of-message Jan 7, 2001 7:55pm

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    Some of you will notice that your messages from yesterday no longer exist. There was a major hiccup in the system last evening. Edmunds.com apologizes sincerely for the difficulties this situation poses. Please rest assured that every effort is being expended to rectify this matter as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • dhl6982dhl6982 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone,
    Nice to meet you!
    My name is Don. I live in Glendale, California.
    This van is for my daughter, Vivian (2 1/2yrs) and New baby (expecting end of Aug. 2001).
    I purchased 2001 Granite Green Feb 14, 2001 from Gardena Honda. This was a gift for my wife.
    We really love our Odyssey and I feel much safe when we drive together.
    Thanks for your time.
    I will write more later.
    Don. :0
    This week's topic:

My vehicle is better than yours because....

Brag about your ride on Tuesday, May 8, 5-6pm PT/8-9pm ET in the new News & Views Weekly Chat

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Is anyone out nearing the end of your lease, or maybe even not that close to the end, but are already getting offers to buy the vehicle from the lessor? It doesn't matter if you plan to take the offer or not. Does this describe your situation? If so, please post your story in our discussion Talk to the Press, or respond directly to Jeannine Fallon, our PR Director at Edmunds jfallon@Edmunds.com. As always, your identity will be protected at your request.

Thanks much!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • mcrjskmcrjsk Member Posts: 1
    After shopping for nearly a year for next vehicle, we settled on the Oddyssey GG LX back in March. We just picked it up last night. I think my 2 1/2 year old son is just as excited about it as my wife and I. The van replaces my 9 year old Honda Civic with 160,000+ miles (still runs like the day I bought it!)

This was a huge upgrade for me, but We're a little older and I bought that civic right out of college. The big reason for the upgrade is we are expecting twins in October. So, with a toddler and two more on the way... it didn't take us long to realize the civic wouldn't cut it ;-)

I hope to spend some more time on the board and share our ownership experiences.

Jeff
    Congrats on your purchase! And good luck with those twins! Have you checked into car seats yet? I'm sure some of the Odyssey members have recommendations to offer.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • jimzimjimzim Member Posts: 3
    My name is Jim and my Wife Terri and I bought a GA 2000 EX Odyssey from Honda
    Cars of Bellevue in Omaha, Nebraska last May. We have had it one year and are very
    happy with it. The dealer was great. We were able to get it at MSRP and then we
    had mud flaps, floor mats and cargo tray added with no cost. We did get the 7/100,000
    for $895.00. We did have a problem within the first month the A/C was making a clicking
    noise and they replaced the compressor. We now have a slight problem with it pulling to
    the right. We only have 11,000 miles on it. I did see an early posting that advised of a
    bulliten about the pull factor. It is nice to be able to talk to other Odyssey owner's to hear
    about the trails and tribulations we go through in dealing with Honda/Dealers. Thanks for
    a Great site. ...JIMZ...
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    Hi guys:

My name is Ben from So California. I have been reading and posting some comments @ edmunds for a while. We finally pick up our 01 GG EX Friday night. Guess I could join ths club now.
    Regards,

Ben
  • twinmommatwinmomma Member Posts: 6
    I hope its ok to post in the Ody Owners Club. My dh and I have officially put our deposit down on a MB '01 EX, August allocation. I can't wait for its arrival! We've put our '87 Civic (133k) up for sale.

I hear ya mcrjsk, we had twins in January of this year and have two other kids, 4 and 9. We've been more than cramped... it currently takes us two vehicles to get anywhere! Twins are great, twice the blessing I say. (The first few months are rough, but you'll make it.)

Thanks to all the Ody owners who have posted here. You not only helped me make up my mind, but state my case for my dh (who wanted a Suburban) and my mil/dil. Can't wait to pick it up!
  • lone369lone369 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I'm Rick from Philadelphia. I am joining prematurely. I ordered my 2002 Odyssey EX and expect it in by October. The dark green that Honda has offered in the past has been slightly lightened. I have no other information about the vehicle. I will be paying sticker plus shipping. Other then that, I am in the dark.

I'll be reading as many messages as I can to become familiar with the group.
    Very wise decision to pick Odyssey.
  • ferneauferneau Member Posts: 9
    I, too, have decided to wait for the '02 model. In particular I have dealers waiting for a Silver EX-L with Navi. I'll be paying (or is that "pain") MSRP + Shipping - $300. The $300 off is a special dealer incentive. Anyone from the Baltimore-Washington area that is interested can ask me about it.

I hope they've fixed some of the '01 issues with the door handles. Of course, I also wish the '03 V6 engine was going to be in the '02 model. Oh well.

I can't wait. I'll be posting my comments when it arrives (8 weeks or so).

--Mark
  • lone369lone369 Member Posts: 3
    http://www.collegehillshonda.com/2002.htm

They posted the 2002 Ody prices

• jrm2002jrm2002 Member Posts: 6
    New to Honda Ownership, But with all the happy
    customers and great Information on this site.
    I was steered to the 2002 EX.
    Picked it up today for MSRP Plus Destination
    and Dealer Fee 395.00.
    Alot of new feature and seems to drive alot quieter and transmission seems to shift without much effort. Overall Very satisfied.
    They should start arriving more regularly
    as their New plant should be producing 120,000
    vehicles per year. Mine was made in Ontario.
  • nickv2nickv2 Member Posts: 5
    Just got a call; I pick up my 02 EX Ody tomorrow. Am paying msrp + $700 and that includes a "required" interior/exterior protection package and a cargo tray. Got it off the internet from a Los Angeles dealer. Took about ONE WEEK. He said at the time that I was the first to order Redrock Pearl. Am I excited!!
    Nickv
  • nmnazarenonmnazareno Member Posts: 4
    I made a post about a year ago to a different ody group. Karen, good work on re-working the message boards! Here's some info about my ody.

2000 emerald green ex
    dealer options:leather interior,6 indash disk changer,lojack, cargo tray, floor mats,wheel locks
    options purchased from internet: nose mask, splash guards

What's funny about our purchase was that we weren't shopping for the car that day, May 25, 2000. We just happened to be looking for a test drive. After driving the dealer test model, which had leather of course, they told us 3 were available on the lot. After reading all of the horror stories posted about waiting list, we moved quickly to purchase the car. We started from MSRP, but they killed us on the dealer options and they knew it! Nonetheless, we are very pleased with it.
    Hey there! Glad to see you back in the Town Hall! Also, glad to hear you're still happy with your Ody.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    One week ago today we picked up our silver 02 Ody LX. Long debate over LX vs EX but it came down to what we wanted on the EX we could add individually. Over 400 miles now and, gee, no problems.... Wonderful van. Happy to be aboard. We are now a two Honda family (2000 Accord EX - my third Accord).
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • bud_odybud_ody Member Posts: 9
    Had my 2001 Odyssey for almost a year. Thinking of buying the HondaCare extended warranty 7/100K/0. Does anyone know which dealership would sell it below $1K ? What is the fair market value? I heard we can purchase the warranty within one year or 12000 miles after purchase. Thanks.
    What are the most important factors in your car-buying decisions? The Chicago Tribune is looking for a ranking of concerns such as safety, price, monthly payment, styling, quality, etc.

Please send your response to jfallon@edmunds.com, or post in Talk to the Press.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • pmarvinpmarvin Member Posts: 25
    Hi All,
    I picked my Odyssey(named Homer) on Saturday, 8 Jan 2000. Today, I had my first flat - at 94,459 miles. Yup - that's nearly 100K in less than 2 years! We use it for ALL long trips where 1 drives while the other sleeps. I can't begin to tell you how much nicer it is to sleep lying down than in a sitting position. I have hauled an estates-worth of goods across country(4 trips worth), loaded to the suspension stops, and still got 26MPG. I cannot imagine why anyone would want any other conveyance.

There are only a couple of things I wish were changed:
    1) a more convenient location for the front seat power socket AND more than power hole!
    2) grab handles over the rear doors,
    3) really DECENT coat hooks behind the rear seats.

This is not our first Honda, either. Our daughter inherited our '91 Accord(Dimples) with 383K on it. My husband bought a '01 Accord this summer(Surprise!). It already has 13K+ on it. Yes, I do have $$ in oil wells. I sold a Passport to get the Odyssey. I hated to see the Passport go, but Homer is much better.

On a Roll!
    Harriet Marvin
  • ehenriquezehenriquez Member Posts: 1
    My name is Edwin and we have had our Oddysey for almost two years now, we loved it, it has b een a great purchase for us, I am glad to have found this message boards to talk to other owners.

Our van is a 2000 white EX.
  • gglenn1gglenn1 Member Posts: 5
    Picked the Silver over the Red because the Silver is MUCH easier to keep clean. Our cars are always spotless!! Have had the car 5 weeks and have put 4 coats of Zymoil wax on it. It looks great. I put the CD changer in. Very easy installation. Nice car that I am so glad I picked over the Chrysler. Kids LOVE it.
  • eelmassianeelmassian Member Posts: 4
    I'm just about to purchase an Odyssey and I'm looking for a good dealer in south CA. Does anyone know of one?? I went to one the other day and he wanted to charge me $1500 over MSRP.

Thanks
  • datmandatman Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 2000 Odyssey from Norm Reeves Honda in Temecula. After several phone calls to dealers in the Los Angeles area, who all wanted over list, I called Norm Reeves and got it for MSRP + Destination. They were super nice and didn't try to sell me any extras after I drove 100 miles to pick it up. I would highly recommend giving them a call.
  • rolandkrolandk Member Posts: 5
    My name is Roland and I live near Toronto, Ontario. I am awaiting a 2002 EX-L (should be about 2 weeks) which cost me $35,000 CAN or $22,000 US, plus freight, A/C tax and sales tax. I spent about a month reading up and comparing (mainly Grand Caravan, Sienna, and Odyssey)before deciding on the Odyssey. Thanks to everyone for all the input, opinions, etc. that allow first time mini van owners like me make an informed decision.
    BTW, I am currently debating the Honda care warranty issue. Does that have to be purchased at the time of the vehicle purchase and is the price negotiable here in Canada?

Thanks
  • 99Od99Od Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I'm a happy owner of a '00 LX. Have been around since the first postings of Honda Odyssey, but left the board after purchasing it (what else was there to read? - I had it!)
    Modified mine by installing new set of Pioneers over the cheap OEM speakers. Just added a 6 disc chger over Christmas. Installed Michelin X-Ones 2 months ago, now this is what should've been mounted on the van! Affinity tire suck big time in snow and rain. My latest project is installing 2002 amber outer tailights, Why did Honda of all their vehicles ever made (well since I've been a Honda owner since '85), put RED turn signals on the '99-01 Odysseys?
    Well enough said, I hope to have this van for the next 10+ yrs, I sold my 16 yr old Accord for this submarine.
  • prophet2prophet2 Member Posts: 372
    Picked up an '01 EX in GG for MSRP (less $3K trade) + appearance group (mouldings, mud guards, trunk tub, and wheel locks) and TTL. Traded in a well-traveled '93 Nissan Quest GXE with 164K on the clock!

Just had 15K service after 10 months of care-free driving. No problems, despite what I've heard about the power sliding doors. Absolutely the top in class. Easily handles a full-load of seven passengers, far better than my two previous mini-vans. And, I don't have any complaints about the gas mileage of 22-23 mpg, better than my RL's 18-20 mpg.
  • ricmariaricmaria Member Posts: 1
    Hi All -
    We bought our Odyssey LX two weeks ago, and today, the engine malfunction indicator and TCS indicator lights both went on. The TCS light eventually turned off but came on again after several minutes of driving. The engine malfunction light, however, stayed on and still has not shut off. Has anyone experienced similar problems within two weeks of purchase? We're having the car serviced but no longer feel confident with the quality of the van. Can anyone tell me what my recourses are? I'd like to exchange for another van but the dealer says they have a no-return policy. Please help!!
    Thanks...
  • mudry1mudry1 Member Posts: 8
    Hi:
    My name is Joe and I'm from CT. I just ordered my Ody, a Mesa Beige EX-L, from Schaller Honda in New Britain for MSRP. Visited many dealers and nobody would come in under MSRP. Really had to work to get a good trade in price. Will have to wait about three months, but I expect the wait will be worth it. This will be my first Honda or any foreign vehicle. By the way, to GGLENN1, what is zymoil? Love this site!!!
  • bfmommabfmomma Member Posts: 4
    Picked up our 2002 LX in Redrock pearl on February 28th. We are in LOVE! The "gadgets" are so fun (all the cupholders, storage, lights, etc.) and the van drives like a charm.... This is my first trip to the owner's boards (as I just became an owner) but I've read the entire archive of "prices paid" and "problems" in the regular forums.

Looking forward to learning even more!

Warmly,
    Lori in Milwaukee area
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • sarsahsarsah Member Posts: 3
    Hi....I'm Sarah and live in Atlanta. I'll be the primary driver of the '02 Granite Green EX we picked up today and my 22 month old DS will be the primary passanger -- already I am amazed at how well his car seat fits in the 2nd row seats! I guess we got lucky becuase we bought our Oddy off the lot and after MUCH talk to 3 managers about the price, paid MSRP + $400 for dealer added appearance options. We also got the 6 yr/100,000 mile/ $0 deduct. extended warranty for $900.

We were looking at the Odyssey, Mazda MPV & Ford Windstar (we get employee purchase at both Ford & Mazda). I liked the MPV as well, but it is smaller and feels that way. DH was interested in long-term quality and resale value, so we went with the Oddy. This is our first experience with a manufacturer other than Ford.
  • jrt4jrt4 Member Posts: 1
    Just got my 2002. Dealer made point of saying engine light would come on unless, after filling w/ gas, you tightened the cap until you heard three clicks. In other words, under-tightening the gas cap might be the problem. Service Dept. has to reset, then everything is supposed to be ok. Odysseys sense "air" in the gas tank and that's why the light comes on... Hope this is the problem and nothing more.
  • usmarineusmarine Member Posts: 5
    I put down a deposit yesterday on a 2002 GG LX, so I'm almost an owner (will you let me in now?). I should take delivery about 30 May. If you want to know the details of how I bought it, read my posts on the Prices Paid forum under Vans. I am looking forward to participating in the Owners Club. If it is as valuable as the Vans forum was in buying the van, it will be well worth my time.
  • bubbygatorbubbygator Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my son-in-law's 99 & paid him enough for him to get a new 2002. Giving my old Caravan to my other son-in-law. I've typically kept my Caravans for 8-10 years. The Oddy engine is underpowered from the 3.8 liter of my old Dodge, but I'll adjust.
  • newhondanewhonda Member Posts: 3
    We've been thinking about replacing our current mini-van (Chrysler w/~100K miles). We don't like paying so much for the Honda, but it has a lot of what we want.

The local dealer said that the Entertainment package supports VHS tapes, DVD's and PS2 (Sony's Play Station two.) My wife beleives that the PS2 can be brought into to the house and connected to our TV. I didn't hear anything about taking the PS2 out of the car. The Honda web site doesn't give details on the entertainment package, so I'm curious if anyone has this package and could provide more info.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    We purchased our 2002 Honda Odyssey EX in Mesa Beige in December 2001. We got it from Voss Honda, and got a deal. We paid $381 dollars less than sticker.
    Hello!
  • glasschimeglasschime Member Posts: 13
    We are in the process of shopping for a 2002 Odyssey and here is a site I've found helpful.

www.carbuyingtips.com/scams
  • tuck16tuck16 Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up our 2002 Odyssey, I actually got 761.00 off the sticker price, (NO lie), although it's the lx model I got a cd player and roof rack and bug deflector at dealer invoice. It's the havasa blue model, Thank goodness I got rid of the caravan piece of crap. Got the car in VT, I had to drive about 200 miles but well worth the drive, Chris and Shelly.
  • glasschimeglasschime Member Posts: 13
    We're considering going out of state to get a 2002 Odyssey. What considerations are there in doing this tax wise?

Thanks!
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    I think it depends on state where you live in - some states have a sales tax, while others call it a "use tax".
    Lot of times dealer will give you temporary tags to transport van home. When you go to permanently register vehicle then you pay full sales tax in that state. However if purchasing state required tax, you may only have to pay difference in tax rates when you register it. Again, each has it's own rules.
    Maybe someone who followed this route cana relate their experience.
  • john_jamesjohn_james Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just purchased a white 2002 Odyssey EX from Tampa Honda Land. They had 3 red ones and one white one left. I took the white.

Since I am out of town on business I will not be able to pick it up until this weekend. The paperwork is coming to me by mail.

I did not take the extended coverage because I generally never take them with other purchases. I welcome comments by club members on whether or not I should reconsider.

IT is my intent to continue to participate in this club to share my experiences, and learn from others.

I have 2 questions the first for GGLENN. Is ZYMOIL a wax, and where would I look to buy it.

The second question I rtead but cannot now find. It is from a Club member said he installed a cd changer, and it was fairly easy. Was that the one that goes in the dash or the one that goes under the seat? Also what was the cost of the unit from Honda parts.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Just thought I would post something to keep this thread from going 'read only' due to inactivity. Doing my civic duty....

I'm Steve, and I am a car-oholic. Had a '97 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport (lease) which I traded-in at 38 months w/45k miles (a little used lease provision allows you to do this for fun & profit) on a 2000 Ford Windstar SE (lease). Sold the Ford to a friend at 24 months w/32k miles and bought a '02 Ody EX (GG cloth). At a few days shy of 1 year, this van looks like a long term keeper, but time will tell.

I also bought an '02 Subaru Outback Wagon 16 months ago, and am active over on the "Subaru Crew" board here at Edmunds.

Before owning/leasing the above, I had a string of Toyota wagons (Camry/Corolla). Have had econo hatchbacks, a sport coupe, wagons, vans, and even a Ford F-150. Bought my first new car in '79 (a Ford Fiesta), so I have been at this for a while....

I am an engineer, live in the Hudson Valley region of NY, and have done much of my own car repair over the years.

Steve
  • doncasdoncas Member Posts: 11
    I am about to change the oil on our 03 Odyssey LX for the first time. I like to perform regular maintenance and have always changed the oil myself on our previous vehicles. Any special consideration I should be aware of when changing the oil in an Odyssey? I have heard some bits and pieces about having to replace the oil pan drain plug at every oil change. Can anyone help?
    Don:

You dont replace your oil drain plug, just replace the oil drain plug washer is good enough.

Have fun!

bjk
  • wretchedheathewretchedheathe Member Posts: 2
    I got my first Ody in 2001, granite green EX, put 26K miles on it and my only complaints were the power doors opening without warning while driving down the road. that was a shock, with two babies strapped in carseats right there and the horrendous pull to the right on the freeway.

I love the seats and the power outlets and overall the whole car. we were in a horrible accident two weeks ago, and the car is TOTALLED but we walked away without a scratch.

needless to say we are in the market for a new Ody, sad that the granite greens are gone, and am finding the dealers are willing to negotiate, but are basically rude when it comes to the Ody. they think that we as customers will pay ANY price BELOW MSRP and be happy. I think not.

I have 5 children, from carseats to teenagers and I must say that my car gets a work out daily!
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Sorry to hear about your accident, but happy for you that everyone is OK. Sounds like the vehicle protected you well, and gave it's life so that you didn't have to!!

Best of luck in replacing it. At least they are finally talking 'below MSRP' rather than equal or above as they could do for so long. I too was surprised that they would drop one of the most popular colors.

Steve
This discussion has been closed.