Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• Options
    lynne29lynne29 Member Posts: 46
    Sometimes you can overdo the defrost, so change the settings to "floor" or "middle" and see how that goes. ABSOLUTELY start out with the recirculate off: you want to use the setting with the arrow that only goes in only one direction, not the one that looks like a recycling symbol. Even though the recycling setting changes the internal temperature faster, it has been better for us to only use it in the summer, when it won't fog the windows, and even then only for a few minutes. The only other time I use it is when I am in a tunnel or stuck in stand-still traffic behind an offensive vehicle (diesel, exhaust, etc.). If after this I forget to reset to the fresh air setting, there is fog on the front window.

Hope this helps with your problem. Keep us posted.
  • Options
    thewolverinethewolverine Member Posts: 111
    tmurf1: I too just recently purchased an XLE - my second Sienna (98 LE also). I have no condensation problems like yours on either EXCEPT when I recirculate internal air rather than use external. But the XLE does seem to fog quicker than the LE - perhaps something in the XLE's dual A/C or the different fan cooling points from the towing package? I'm in CT - not quite as cold as WI but close. If your are using external air and still have to continually defrost that sounds like a defect to me. Good luck.

venkin: I've been keeping detailed mileage records of my new XLE. I observed the break in period religiously (try driving 55 or under on I-84 in CT, the passthrough between NYC and Boston - Yikes!). I go to a popular gas station that often refills its tanks.

Breakin Mileage 1st 1000 miles: 24.5 mpg

Since breakin I drive mostly highway around 70 mph: my mileage seems to be going down from 22.5 mpg towards 21 mpg. I'd expect what I got during breakin. Not cool. But its been progressively cold lately.

Next fillup I'm going to try to 'unleaded' my foot and see what the milage looks like but the trend isn't great. I'll double check my LE mileage but I know it's better than 15 - 17 mpg.

Anyone else care to contribute?
  • Options
    thewolverinethewolverine Member Posts: 111
    Ooops - I forgot to add I've been using 91 octane Gulf gas only.
  • Options
    lynne29lynne29 Member Posts: 46
    We have a Sienna LE 2000 and have driven 35,000 miles since Jan 00.

Here are our mileage numbers for the past five weeks, traveling mostly highway, some city, some trips to school and mall, and occasional stand-still traffic:

Yearly high was 26.29
    Yearly low was 17.34

We always go to the same station and use 93 octane.
  • Options
    leslieldfleslieldf Member Posts: 32
    I've mentioned before, I don't check religiously, but when I have it's around 21/22 mpg. I have a 2000 LE with 5000 miles on it. We've done some trips, but mostly around town - about evenly split with freeway and surface roads. No stop and go stuff. For what it's worth!
  • Options
    fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    I haven't read this whole string (only the last month or so), but hopefully this hasn't been answered yet. My '99 XLE (33,000 miles) has manual sliding doors. On the driver's side, the post that catches the locking mechanism when the door is full open appeares to be rusting through. We've also had some intermittent sticking problems with the passenger's side sliding door. Anyone experience any of these? The doors function fine, but I fear future problems.

Another problem: I've had the fuel sensor in the gas tank replaced when the gas guage went haywire. It worked, but on a recent road trip I noticed that the indicator was still on FULL after 65 miles. It usually breaks after about 40. Then, after the fuel low light was on for a while and the indicator showed EMPTY (I mean it was fixed down there), we filled up and came 3.5 gallons short of a full tank. I doubt the usual reserve is that much, so I think the sensor may be going again. Anybody experience this problem?

Other than that, our van has been fantastic! It's so versitile for our family w/2 kids in car seats and a large dog. For those living in places with changing climes, I highly recomend rubber floor mats from Weather Tech! They're top quality, hold lots of melted slush and gunk and clean up well. Thanks all!
  • Options
    katokatokatokato Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2000 Toyota Sienna LE.
    I love the handling and design of the car, however I am wondering if this year is a bad year for this model.
    I have had the brakes replaced at about 12K.
    I have had the transmission and radiator replaced at 22K. This was especially troubling because we were on a Thanksgiving trip out of town when it went out. The dealer mentioned that transmissions have been going out left and right on this car. It took a week to get the car repaired. The dealer was very accomodating but it was extremely inconvenient.
    The check engine light has come on twice, I have it in the shop now.
    I keep the maintenence up and do oils changes about every 3500 miles.
    Anyone else have any transmission problems?
    I am seriously considering trading it in for a Odyessy.
  • Options
    Read this discussion from the beginning to learn about the Torque Converter/check engine light problem with some 2000 Siennas (manufacture dates in July and August, I believe). I was one of them - only one other person needed a new transmission that I remember in here. Since my TC was replaced I've had no problems and it's been 2000 miles and about 2 months since the fix.

Sorry to hear about your troubles - I hope they end soon! I also love the ride, handling and comfort of the Sienna.
  • Options
    cblake2cblake2 Member Posts: 53
    I'd like to disspell the total fabrication that "rbacsafra" and "cliffy1" are perpetuating here. To imply that I am part of an Atlanta used car facility is absurd! I am simply a '99 Sienna owner. I did not post here 8 months ago as implied, nor did I make any posts about my Toyota prior to this summer.

The truth is that the number of sludge victims is increasing. There are more and more new Avalon owners in particular. There are more and more owners having this problem at low mileage and after adequate oil changes. I just received a 25-page document with owner scenarios. You may wish to call all this fabrication if you choose; you *lose* if you do and own a V6 Toyota engine, though.

There are a significant number of "lurkers" who are sending information to support the problem. Some owners continue to post on The Complaint Station, amidst the mechanics who are calmly and not-so-calmly responding to the owner complaints. There isn't any need to embellish this matter; it speaks for itself, owner by owner.

I'd like owners to take the information and do their own research. It isn't hard to find owner posts. To totally discount my information is very PRESUMPTIVE of "rbacsafra" and "cliffy1." I *thought* "cliffy1" was credible with the torque converter issue and Toyota's response. I will be changing my opinion about him if he is intent on discounting this matter for me and the other owners. Since he works for a Toyota dealership, it isn't surprising that he would attempt to minimize the matter, though, is it??

Suffice it to say, there IS a significant problem for owners with the V6 engine in the Sienna, Camry, Avalon, and Solara though. Toyota can continue to look the other way if it chooses. Toyota is challenging the owners' reputations; is it any wonder that they are challenging Toyota's reputation in return???

Charlene Blake
    cblake@erols.com
  • Options
    rbacsafrarbacsafra Member Posts: 85
    It's a plain fact that preventive maintainance is beneficial to any vehicle. But with cblake's claims, she has no hard based facts because "SHE THINKS" she has sludge problems in her van and she really doesn't know if she does or not. It's very easy to fabricate stories of anything. she claims to have a 25 page document of these problems. I'm sure she typed this up on her Microsoft Word for a couple weeks now trying to create bogus scenarios.

Isn't it ironic that cblake is the only one who cries wolf about this sludge topic? Now who are you gonna believe? An outcast who "THINKS" she has a problem or someone knowledgeable and a large asset to the Town Hall community like Cliffy1. See, just because Cliffy1 is not on her side, she thinks he and I are a bad guy. I'm sure if I agreed with her sludge statement, she would be my best friend in the whole wide world. But she thinks the other way. I would like to apologize to everyone in the Town Hall about how his issue keeps getting dragged on and on and on and on like a broken record. We just have a case of someone WHO THINKS is having problems because she doesn't know when to change her oil. Anytime you defame her facts, she gets offended and it takes her a week or more to make a comeback. Just ignore it. There is no sludge problem with the 1MZ-FE V6. It's just someone's passion to blame Toyota for their own incompetence to follow the directions. Look at it this way, the more time Toyota investigates this, the more money they put into research and if it does get into legal issues...guess what...the cost of these things will eventually be price increases for all Toyotas. So once you see big price increases contributed by the reasearch and legal action...you can thank cblake first. It's sad how one person can ruin it for everyone.

Cblake:
    Maybe you wanna start investigating the Firestone issue with tread separation or make you need to complain to the EPA that ALL cars pollute the air and that our ozone layer is getting depleted? Just do everyone a favor by quit arguing this story and stop wasting your time. Please go to the Camryman.org forum and post your problem there and see what you get.

Too bad there isn't a government agency to stop internet trolling. LOL

Good Luck!
    Ryan
    TeamSC³ - Southern California Camry Club
    Founding Member
    www.teamsc3.com
  • Options
    rjsforjsfo Member Posts: 13
    I had a transmission failure on my 2000 Sienna XLE with less than 10K miles on it in August while on vacation. It was towed to the nearest dealer almost 100 miles from where the failure occurred. Toyota paid for the towing charges and gave me a loaner for the week. They also replaced the torque converter at the same time. There was no "check engine" light that came on to warn me that this was going to happen.

I have had absolutely no luck in getting an extended warranty/service agreement to cover these parts for an additional year or 12K miles at no charge from the dealer who performed the warranty repair - Dublin Toyota, the dealer I bought the Sienna from - Fremont Toyota, the District Parts and Service Manager - David Williams and the Toyota Customer Assistance Center. It has been completely frustrating trying to navigate the Toyota maze. Once I was about to reach a reasonable solution with the Service Manager at Fremont Toyota, he quit the following week. Now his replacement and the General Manager refuse to honor his verbal commitment to me. The District Manager was extremely argumentative and told me that he was the final word on this from Toyota Corporate and if I wanted to pursue it further I would have to take it to the court system as this did not qualify for arbitration or consideration under the Lemon Law.

What I did do though was to document this thoroughly and open a case with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration too. Hopefully more Sienna owners will do the same to cause Toyota to step up and take responsibility for their poor quality control of the drive train components. I am now contemplating my next course of action. This week the "check engine" light did go on and was I worried. The dealer found a leaking charcoal canister and replaced it. If anyone is interested discussing this in more detail, feel free to email me at rju@cisco.com.
  • Options
    I understand your frustration, "rjsfo," and I experienced it (with a Chrysler transmission, not Toyota). Have you owned your van less than a year? It is good that you are documenting well. Check your lemon law closely because if problems continue with the powertrain, even if the dealership sites "unable to duplicate," you will be covered.

Get the "Lemon Book" by Clarence Ditlow and Ralph Nader and read it carefully. Your rights may be preserved beyond the manufacturer's written warranty if you take the right steps.

Many Toyota owners have been told, "You will have take the legal route," when major failures have occurred. There is no acknowledgement from Toyota that there are SERIOUS quality problems in the Sienna (and other models, too). The attitude is, "We aren't required to do anything for you."

While in some cases this may be technically true, the lack of compassion for the owner who is experiencing premature problems in a new van is unfortunate. Toyota is following the pattern set by the other automakers long ago....dig in and be tough with your customers. Create LOTS and LOTS of frustration in them so that they will simply go away. Under no circumstance accept responsibility for a KNOWN and WIDESPREAD problem.

I find it amazing that owners haven't banded together over this torque converter problem. Toyota has not resolved that issue UNTIL the extended warranty is given, IMO. Toyota is getting off pretty easy with just replacing the parts and sending the owners away "hoping for the best." In effect, the owners are accepting damaged goods with no guarantee that problems won't resurface. I KNOW that Toyota can do better in this matter. Will it choose to do so??

By the way, I really love the Sienna's interior. It is spacious and comfortable enough. I enjoy having a van very much. I am extremely dissatisfied with the premature problems, however. When there is a choice between roominess and reliability, I have to choose the latter. The Sienna and reliability are antonyms.

Charlene Blake
    cblake@erols.com
  • Options
    Perhaps "YOU THINK" you have a tranny problem with your Sienna now? LOL
  • Options
    crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    Just how many cars do you own? Do you own any without problems? I see from the Ody problems topic that you claim to own a 95 Ody, also with problems. Why do I feel as though I am reading a troll?

Will these questions, and more be answered?
  • Options
    fbrown2034fbrown2034 Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2001 Senna from Miller Toyota of Manassas, a in Nov, 2000. Our salesman was Pat alloy. We used the dealer invoice information from Edmunds plus comparison shopping with another local dealer to get what we believe was a fair price. We paid 25K total for a EL. The total included taxes, tags, delivery, and a $140.00 processing fee. For the processing fee, which we find a revolting rip-off, the dealer included paint finishing. So, overall, the dealer made the negotiations as pleasant as can be. Keep in mind, that we last bought a new car in 1992 and intended to never buy a new car again knowing we lose value the moment we put the key in the ignition. After two months, we are very pleased. The transmission is remarkable smooth. We've traveled on two 200 mile trips with three kids and luggage. The engine is powerful enough to run up highway ramps and zipper into traffic easily. For anyone in N.
    Va. area, we highly recommend Miller Toyota. Again, remember this is from a family that puts car dealers in the same category as relators, loan officers, and politicians.
  • Options
    jlombardojlombardo Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2001 Senna and have noticed a slight high pitched whine when the engine revs.
    This is mostly evident when in park or when just starting out in drive. I hope its not a transmission problem since the car is brand new. The dealer tells me that this is a normal sound, but could not be reproduced completely by other vans on the lot. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    wbarduawbardua Member Posts: 1
    Can't seem to find my previous posting so I'll try again. One of the power doors on my 2001 XLE reverses before it closes sometimes. Other times it closes, looks closed, sounds closed but the warning light on the dash and the warning buzzer are on and won't go away until I fiddle with the contacts and open and close the door a bunch of times. Anyone else have this problem? What was the "fix". Happy New Year from British Columbia, Canada! halt.
  • Options
    1846618466 Member Posts: 46
    This sound appears to be normal. Our van(2000 Sienna LE) also makes a slight whine when cold but goes away as things warm up (very minor change in engine pitch). I heard someone say this may be the alternator bearings but it appears harmless. Our van made this slight noise for the past 16700 miles when it warmed up. No need to worry.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    I'm glad all went well with your purchase. I know most the guys at Miller and agree that they are stand up people. My only question is why you didn't come see me at Springfield Toyota, just 25 miles away?
  • Options
    pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    Goodness gracious--you're here too! Is there anywhere in the Town Hall that one can go, and not have to put up with your obsession with badmouthing Toyota?
    Just what is it you want--or more appropriately, where is it you expect to go with this nonsense?
    Or are we simply being subjected to all this vitriolic innuendo because you enjoy being picked on?
    C'mon lady--fess up or shut up!
  • Options
    tugboat2tugboat2 Member Posts: 7
    In a nutshell, Ive read through the boards,driven the cars and had settled on a Grand Caravan for our expanding family---Baby III expected any day. Well, I finally took the Mrs. to test drive a Caravan and she didn't bite. Then off to Toyota where my wife immediately experienced minivan nirvana.

Sienna Concerns: How do you access the 3rd row? Do the 2nd row seats tip forward? Is the vehicle equip with dual stage/depowered air bags? How easy is it to manually use the electric sliding doors? To manually use the door must you deactivate the electric mechanism. Are they any options that a particularly noteworthy? Any comments on the auto climate control and sunroof?

I apologise in advance if several of these issues have been previously addressed. Give me a break, I don't have time to sift through a few hundred posts. Happy New Year!
  • Options
    I have a 2000 LE so don't have most of the options you ask about. For mine - the passenger side 2nd row captains chair has a lever release that tips the back and slides the seat forward. My kids have no problem climbing in front of the other seat and between the 2 to get to the third row also.

On the sunroof - I've read where it's letting in more sun to heat up the back of the van - great in winter, but not so great in the summer.

I decided against power doors because of all the problems (not just Toyota, by any means) I've heard about. I did ask the salesman, and was told you can operate the electric door manually - but it's much tougher moving that motorized door. I have manual doors and they're a cinch.

Good Luck, I love mine!
  • Options
    zsurferzsurfer Member Posts: 7
    Until day before yesterday, I was a firm believer of Toyota quality. Yesterday it changed! On our way back from vacation, 100 miles outside of Detroit on way to Springfield, IL the transmission quit on my 99 Sienna LE. I had to get my van towed to a wrecker place as the dealership were closed being on a Sunday. The nearest dealership is 50 miles away at Ann Arbor, MI whom I intend to contact tomorrow.

Last week on my way to Detroit I could hear a faint whine from the motor when my foot was on the gas. I even took the exit and had the motor oil level checked for the peace of mind. There was nothing else I could do at that time. I figured I would get it checked once I get back from the vacation.

At no time did the check engine light come on. BTW my Sienna has 34.5K miles on it and had the 30K mile service done at the Springfield dealership, which included changing the tranny oil.

Until my own experience, I took all the posts with the major Sienna problems with a grain of salt (going on my mind...yeah right). Now it has me really thinking hard about my tenure with this van. I was planning on keeping this van for a loooong time but may have to reconsider.

Happy New Year.

PS: I will repost as to my service experience at a later date. Now I have to make a call to my boss to let him know I won't be back to work on the 2nd.
  • Options
    Did you have the Towing Package which came with the extra trans cooler and reprogrammed fan logic?
  • Options
    cblakecblake Member Posts: 5
    "Crkeehn," I'd be happy to answer your questions. I currently own a '99 Sienna CE, a '95 Honda Odyssey, and a used '92 Olds Achieva. NONE of these vehicles is trustworthy at this point. However, the Honda has been the best performing of these three. Until this year, it has been trouble-free. The ABS has failed on it and the repair is exorbitant. Honda knows that it is a problem.

The Sienna continues to show new problems. Old problems aren't resolved. As far as I am concerned, it is extremely lacking in quality. I would not have switched from American to Toyota had I known that Toyota's famed quality is just a figment of its own imagination (and totally public propaganda). The Sienna promises to be one giant money pit.

The Achieva is a GM....should I say more? Now, this is re: current vehicles. I did own a Chevrolet Celebrity for 14 (yes, that is fourteen) years. It had over 140,000 miles on it when we sold it. It ran fine at that time. We had replaced a radiator and some power steering components (a known problem, but I had no computer access to find out back then). It seemed to destroy tires because of an alignment problem, too. The paint began to peel after one year. I never once wrote a letter to the automaker. The car served us well enough.

I had reason to complain about the paint, alignment, and power steering as I was far from alone with those matters. Suffice it say, it was not have been easy to gather information back then. The car *never* left us stranded although the radiator failed the day before we were going on a short vacation and we had to rent a car.

I also owned a Ford Mustang (my first car). I drove it many years and then my husband drove it for many more years. We sold it after 12 years and over 100,000 miles. We never had any failures on it. It was by far the least expensive vehicle to own. I am not here to profess the quality of the current Fords, however. I would RUN from them at this point.

I had a Dodge Caravan and I prefer not even to discuss that sorry excuse of a van. Other Chrysler owners can vouch for this fact, rest assured. I had use of the internet in fact-gathering and it made all the difference. I was shocked how common the problems were....I never expected that because I *thought* I had an isolated faulty vehicle.

"Rbacsafra" is LOL about the transmission failure possibility on the Sienna; I am not. I read "zsurfer's" telling account and we own the same model year. I have 12,000 miles less mileage than he does. My van has been towed once already, though, so I can relate to that experience. I am sure that "zsurfer" is not laughing at this time.

Now, "pilot13," I get the feeling you are giving me the third degree. It is inappropriate. If you don't need the information I am providing, please don't read it. My freedom of speech is not negotiable. I ask many questions in my posts in hopes of gathering the maximum degree of owner response. As I see it, the more information, the better.

Happy New Year!

Charlene Blake
    cblake@erols.com
  • Options
    trany2000trany2000 Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2000 Sienna XLE about 1 month ago (my first Toyota). I bought it used with 35,000mi on it, in great shape, clean and beautifull. Right away, I took it to a Toyota dealer and asked them to inspect it like if they were buying it. They suggested a 36,000mi/48mo service which included all the typical maintenance service inspections plus oil, lube and filter and new air filter. They passed the car and said it was in great shape.

Over the holidays, we took it on a road trip to visit family about 4hrs away. On the way back, about 2hrs away from home, I felt a jerk and then grinding and whining from the engine. I stopped, checked the engine which was fine so I assumed it was the tranny. I phoned the closest dealership and since the engine light was not on they suggested we drive it in if it was drivable. Well it was drivable at highway speeds so I took it in to my dealership (over 100mi). They confirmed that there was transmission damage. They also told me that it may not be covered under warranty if it's not a manufacturing defect. (They wanted me to supply them with proof that the transmission oil had been changed at 30,000mi). They took a sample of tranny oil and reported that it was in poor shape, dark, had a burned smell and fillings. I responded that 'sure it does, I drove it for a 100mi with a broken tranny'. They said that they will be able to tell if its a manufacturing defect or something else once they take the tranny appart.

According to them there is $6500 dammage to the tranny. I flipped when I heard that. I checked with three local tranny places (one of them AAMCO) and they all lauged at the dealers response. Apperantly after a tranny 'burns out' like that, you can't tell anything. They all quoted me $2000-$3000 to completely rebuild a Sienna tranny.

Anyway, the Toyota service manager has faxed off a letter with all the details to Toyota Canada on Friday and we are now waiting for a response for whether the repair will be covered.

As far as the tranny oil being replaced, I have not been able to reach the previous owner. He's on vacation until Jan. 8, but I have doubts that he did do it. I spoke with the shop that did all his maintenance (not Toyota) and they said that they didn't replace the tranny oil but that he did have it serviced elswhere also. I will see when he comes back from his trip.

I am really upset with Toyota for pussyfooting around and trying to get out of and obvious warranty repair. What else could possibly burn out a tranny, but a manufacturing defect? This is a new (2000) vehicle, albeit higher millage than the average. I have never had any problem with any tranny on any previous cars that I, my wife or my parrents have ever owned. We drove most of our cars up and over 100,000mi without even touching the tranny oil.

This does not instill very much confidence in the Toyota product, and even less in the dealerships and Toyota as a company. My wife and I bought a Toyota van and paid a premium so that we would avoid problems such as this. From reading this forum and other similar ones I am finding that Toyota has just as many problems as all the other car companies. And from what I read about other cars, Toyota doesn't stand by their warranties as well as other car companies.

VT
  • Options
    Now let's see--in 1995 you had a Chrysler minivan and had horrid problems with the ABS braking system, right? And you actually litigated against Chrysler as well, correct?
    Then in 1997 you got into a serious dispute with GM over some controvorsial engine repairs to your mother's Cavalier, right?.
    Seems you also got into a very public and bitter disagreement with your local Police Dept. because they didn't resolve a minor theft of some ID to your complete satisfaction--right?
    Now I also understand that there were several more cause celebres of a similar nature in the past several years---all of which share a common theme, namely " I'm cblake and you're not".
    When you're through with Toyota, who's next?
  • Options
    Is it true that you and cblake have had several exchanges on this transmission thing before your posting in this Topic--and she actually encouraged you to join in the fray here to help support the cause?
    C'mon now, fess up!
  • Options
    I joined this discussion on Friday Dec 29, 2000 at Thecomplaintstation and then here today. - No - I have not had discussions with cblake, although from reading her posts, she seems well informed on consumer issues. While I am considering what I do next with Toyota (I am now without a car while they have the Senna with a blown cranny, my wife has 2 kids to cart around in a '89 Civic and I am left to public transit to take to work), I have thought about contacting cblake for advice. All I know about Cblake is from several Toyota forums and from her posts she seem hell mad with Toyota. I am in Canada, our legal system here does not allow for lawyers on contingency fees. Thus if I don't get satisfaction from Toyota (fixed tranny under warranty and I would think a new 5yr/60,000mi warranty on the new tranny), I will resort to taking them all to small claims court. But with an estimated $6500 repair, I may even spring for a lawyer. I have tried looking up lemon laws for Canada, but i think that only applies to the USA. Anyone know of Canadian lemon laws?
  • Options
    rjsforjsfo Member Posts: 13
    Be careful in the run around and smoke screen you will get from Toyota without anyone taking responsibility, but with everyone willing to pass the baton. The Toyota Dealership protocol is the Customer Relations Manager, Service Manager, General Manager and then the Owner. Toyota Corporate/Factory protocol is represented by the Toyota Customer Assistance Center and the local District Service and Parts Manager. The Dealer and Corporate representatives can and will act independently of each other on the course of action they will take and offer to you. Remind your Dealer of the goodwill and future service revenue they will gain in ongoing service of your Sienna. My advice is to work all avenues to get someone who will first listen and then commit to do something about it. Document all your telephone conversations with dates and names. In your written correspondence, cc: the next level of escalation too to let them know that their management is being involved and get specific times when they will get back to you.

I was led to believe by the Customer Relations Manager that the Corporate/Factory would be able to conduct a post mortem on my replaced transmission since the dealer was instructed not to open the transmission case. The Service Manager then clarified a month later that Toyota Corporate/Factory would not release that kind of information to the owner regardless of the situation. So your dealer could be using that as a ploy to stall for time and make claims that it is not their position to honor the standard 5 year / 60K warranty the 2000 Sienna came with because normal 30K Toyota service was not followed. Keep pushing the fact that the dealer gave your Sienna a clean bill of health before your transmission failed.

Good luck, be persistent and don't let them wear you down.
  • Options
    Please, may I ask the host of this site to get "pilot13" (Who is he anyway?) to refrain from making false accusations about others. This should be a forum where we post about our vehicle experiences and share information in hopes of maintaining our consumer rights.

I have not had contact with "trany2000" but I can relate fully to his story (Chrysler transmission died at 12,000 miles). He is absolutely justified in *demanding* an extended warranty at the very least. Toyota is ridiculous to think owners will put up with these premature failures.

My guess is that traded-in Toyotas are being "recycled" on new, unsuspecting owners. Do you think Toyota is unaware of this? Many owners are buying these vehicles for the long-term only to find the financial burden in the short-term.

"Pilot13," your information is grossly inaccurate. Are you doing a background check on me? If so, WHY? I notice you aren't even posting your name at all. I'd say that your behavior is far beyond "normal." I'm simply preserving my rights and helping others do the same. Why would that worry you?

No, no, and no are the answers to your former questions. Sorry to disappoint you.

"Trany2000," please post your follow up here. At the time of the Chrysler ABS failures, Canadians, Americans, Europeans, etc., all networked to share stories. While the manufacturer said owners did not know how to use their brakes (e.g. "Owner Blame Game"), we were busy proving that Chrysler knew about the problem for over 2 years and that it was NOT the owners' fault. The end result was escalation of the turte-paced NHTSA defects investigation, a class action lawsuit on behalf of hundreds of owners (initially), and a final recall of 350,000 vehicles for DEFECTIVE ABS.

Get Canadian Sienna owners to compare notes on tranny failures. Check to see if you van had the infamous "torque converter defect." If it did, you need to insist on warranty coverage. Many 2000 owners are reporting failed transmissions following earlier torque converter repair.

Gather Canadian information first and then compare with American owners. I doubt *seriously* that you have an isolated case due to the transmission fluid. PlEASE, do not let Toyota trap you in the "Owner Blame Game." The trend will surface as you compare notes IF there is indeed a problem. Contrary to what "pilot13" would recommend, you do need to post in several places and on a regular basis in order to get enough information.

Good luck to you. Don't give up!!

Charlene Blake
    cblake@erols.com
  • Options
    Are you denying your own troubles which are searchable on ANY search engine? You even post your full name and e-mail along with that. There is a very large trail that leads to the same person we see as CBLAKE. Or do you just THINK we are grossly inaccurate? All your speculations have no credibility and your facts are all fabricated. Get all your facts straight from a reputable source and show the whole world you are right. The guy in the complaint station just recently lost his arbitration hearing about his sludge. I guess that's another strike out for you and in your research. You have a track record. I wouldn't be surprised if you are black listed.
  • Options
    Sorry ma'am if the truth doesn't sit well with you, but all of your altercations with automakers and others are clearly documented (Much of it by yourself) public info--Yahoo.com--"Charlene Blake" is a good start.. I stand behind every one of the scenarios outlined in the above.
    As well, I stand behind Toyota Products and their universally held high reputation, plus I stand behind many thousands of totally satisfied and supportive Toyota owners who,frankly, are tired of hearing from you.
    We're all waiting to see which automaker you're gonna hit on next! If nothing else, it makes for entertaining reading.
  • Options
    danstuartdanstuart Member Posts: 8
    Could someone from a Northern state please explain to someone in Texas what the ABS should sound like when operating. We actually had snow on the roads yesterday (first time in sometime) and the ABS engaged several times. It seemed to work o.k. in that the van did not skid, but the sound seemed unusual (sort of like a loud grinding). Is this normal?

On another note, as a follow up to my earlier posts re: the complete transmission replacement on our 2000 LE, the van is driving great now. It has none of the previous hesitation or shuddering it had before the replacement. The gas mileage seems slightly better as well.

Also, about a month after sending a polite letter to Toyota, I got a call telling me they would honor my request for a free extended warranty. They said the paper work would be mailed, though it has been several weeks and I have not yet received anything yet. I have followed up by phone and they have confirmed the warranty and indicated a contract number has been assigned. My dealings with Toyota (both the company and the dealer) have been much more pleasent than others have described in these posts.)
  • Options
    Somehow, I don't believe your comment about not being encouraged to post in this topic by cblake. Is it just coincidence that her encouragement directly follows your complaint in the Complaint Station?
    As regards your problem with the tranny on your Sienna---You bought this van used, with 35K on the odometer, right? Did you research the maintenance history before buying---or at least get an independent mechanical assessment? This is mostly common sense stuff that so many people don't take the time to do, and then pay the price afterwards. You cannot expect any manufacturer to honour a warranty without some verification that a vehicle has been maintained to at least minimum standards! This is especially true today when most vehicles are leased, and the lessees don't maintain their cars like they would if they were their own.
    Used vehicles make a lot of sense, but ONLY if the buyer does his or her homework first.More so now than ever.
    I'll bet you didn't do yours!
  • Options
    hapiiihapiii Member Posts: 1
    I was on a trip from Memphis to Knoxville I heard a strange ticking noise. I looked for rocks in the tires and any obvious reason for something like that. Once home, bang tranny out and it took the ECU for the Anti-skid brake system as well. Total bill well over $7000 covered under warranty I am at 26,700. Does anyone have a suggestion of what I need to do besides demand a warranty. I have never had a toyota and after this I NEVER WILL AGAIN. I am currently stuck with a Rav 4 to tool around in and I am having a hard time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Warning - the following remarks may be of sarcastic nature. Caution is advised if your psyche is frail:

So we have CBlake, the automotive conspiracy theorist, the Ralph Nader of minivan-driving soccer moms. Then there's pilot13, the Joe McCarthy of the Edmunds Forum [CBlake is a communist]. Then we have a host of transmission victims: rjsfo, tranny2000, hapiii to name a few, crushed in the giant cogs of the evil Toyota bureaucracy machine! Man, this is great sh-, er, stuff!!

Alas, only danstuart still stands, having vanquished the evil foe, his extended warranty flag proudly flying over the scorched battleground. He he - I'm having fun.

Oh, danstuart, your ABS will make hideous grinding and squealing noises when it's working properly - completely normal, so remember, even, constant pedal pressure. Don't pulse 'em!

As for the ticking timebomb Toyota trannys, my '99 XLE has almost 33K on it, so I'm driving straight to the dealer after work praying I don't spew my tranny in a thousand parts all over the road on the way!

In all seriousness folks, I'm not doubting the POSIBILITY that Toyota may have a universal problem here, but let's not condemn the maker of some of the highest rated vehicles on the road. I know many Yo's with nearly 200K miles, running strong, and I can guarantee tranny fluid wasn't replaced every 30. Just think of all the possible explainations for a rash of failures: a bad batch of parts (isolated), a computer glitch on the assembly line (isolated), a bad tech order in the plant (isolated), etc. So a number of Sienna's were born with weak heart valves - so what! Doesn't mean Toyotas all suck!

Tranny2000, you bought a USED van with 35K on it! Do you really know how that van was driven? Here's one common practice that can grind teeth or damage a TC - people who shift from R to D before the car stops moving backward, then applying the gas. Really baaaad for the ol' tranny. Maybe whoever you bought it from did this all the time, in which case I'm suprised it lasted to 35! And no inspection can tell you how healthy the tranny is other than the way it feels at the moment. Nobody's going to crack the tranny open just to inspect it for wear. So you can't be sure, man!

This is why I don't buy used cars - YOU NEVER KNOW HOW THEY WERE TREATED!! Unless you buy from someone like family or your best friend whom you trust explicitly. Yes, a new car loses value initially, but at least it's yours from day one, and if your take good care of it, you'll get $ back on resale. I recently sold a '93 Ford Ranger w/85K miles. Paid $16,500 for it new, sold it for $8,300! I got half my money back for six years of faithful service, and all I ever did to it was replace brakes, muffler, pipes, fluids and tires.

So, whether CBlake is malcontent-without-a-cause or just a consumer who doesn't like a bad value, doesn't matter. She has a right to be here, and while others like pilot13 have the right to disagree and doubt her, we should keep it civil and light. Personally, I think CBlake likes to play the watchdog, but I don't think there's a recall out there waiting to be uncovered. Firestone -now THERE'S a recall for you!

I'm very happy with my Sienna, as are 95% of Sienna owners out there, I suspect. But remember, this is a forum for Sienna Problems, so you're not going to hear from all those satisfied owners. So don't jump on the consiracy bandwagon everyone. Sorry this was so long! I have to go change my transmission oil now anyway...later.
  • Options
    Enjoyed your posting, and absolutely no offence taken (No fragile psyche here!).
    However, while we're on the subject of "Advice to the Lovelorn"--- permit me to say one more thing about consumer advocacy, if you will.
    When consumers are advocatin' on the basis of truth, sincere belief in the justness of the cause, and fairness,this is a plus.It sits at the foundation of what our democratic society is all about--and one can point to enumerable situations where our society is better for it.
    There can be a negative side too tho'--and that usually kicks in when truth becomes a casualty in advocacy causes. Like when the cause becomes the priority, and the issue doesn't matter any more.For example, most corporations, just about all doctors, dentists, police and fire protection organisations, hospitals, and so on, are now forced to carry huge (and I mean huge!) liability insurance policies.Not that they shouldn't be liable in cases of genuine negligence, but the litigious and larcenous nature of our society today has made it a matter of survival.
    Well' I think you know what I'm getting at---What we've got here is one of those situations where the truth is being stretched a bit, and some larceny is gettin' done.
    Would like to keep going on this, but gotta run lest I miss my appointment to have the Avalon de-sludged and get the 500 mile checkup on the tranny! I'll get back to you on the results.
  • Options
    zsurferzsurfer Member Posts: 7
    To answer 18644- No I do not have Towing Pkg on my Sienna.

Well I got the news today that my Sienna needs a new transmission. Dunning Toyota of Ann Arbor has put the order in and they expect my car to be ready day after tomorrow.

What a way to start the new year!

Question to the forum participants:

Should I demand a 50K warranty on the new transmission considering the fact my car already has 35.5K

Thanks in advance..
  • Options
    katokatokatokato Member Posts: 3
    This is an update to my orignal post, I had the transmission and radiator replaced and my check engine light came again about two weeks later.
    The service rep at the dealership says their analysis shows it is the TC again.
    This is my normal dealership, since we were out of town the first time it went out.
    He asked me to pickup the car, (it is ok to drive) and bring it back in after he contacts the Toyota field rep for advice.
    He says he wants to make sure it gets fixed right this time. Obviously I do too.
    Has anyone had the problem occur twice ?
    Also, it seems like most of the posts indicate the TC going out fairly soon after acquireing the van, with low mileage. I had owned the van a year (22K) before it went out and the check engine light didn't go on the first time.
    Any advice?
  • Options
    I would advise you to look into a trannsmission cooler like the one offered with the towing package. I got one with the extra trannsmission cooler. This really keeps the trannsmission fluid running cooler which drastically helps extend the transmission's life especially with severe use.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    In addition to a grinding and clicking sound, you will also feel your brake pedal pulsing. This is normal. After you stop, you will also hear a "whirring" sound. This is the ABS computer performing a self diagnostic test. Very normal.
  • Options
    The Toyota dealership service person called me today. She said that Toyota Canada has approved the tranny repair and they will pay for the whole thing. What a relief, and how I stressed myself over the weekend.

I asked whether it would be a remanufactured or new tranny. Apparently it’s up to Toyota what they use but they were all out of rebuilt trannies so they will put in a new one. It’s on order and she thought that the car should be ready by the end of the week. Warranty does not change, but continues as the original the 5yr/60,000mi.

Thanks for all the support here and good luck to all with resolving problems with their cars. Be firm and focused.

VT

Pilot13 – I never said that I was not encouraged to post here by Cblake. I said that I never had a conversation with Cblake. Her message at thecomplaintstation was very informative and brought me here.

Also to answer you, I did my homework, checked the place where the previous owner had the Van serviced, oil was replaced every 3-5000mi and 3-4months. I have service records. The car was immaculate, he had a lot of extras on it (including towing package – yes he towed a 3000lb boat several times, permashine, leather protector, laminated bug deflector, undercoating). The only thing against him was that the car had very high city milage on it. But who is to know that the tranny is going to be the problem? I would have never though to check that tranny oil was replaced. It’s a new car!

One more thing Pilot13, this site is for discussing problems people have had with their vehicles not for slamming people who obviously have had problems with their vehicles.

Cblake – Thanks for the support and keep up the fight. For your info, my van was manufactured in Sept. 99 (one of the first 2000 models). And to date, it has not had a problem with the torque converter. All in all we like the van but I was not so happy with the initial treatment I received from the Dealer and Toyota Canada. They seem to be very accommodating now, don’t know why.

Also I read some posts about mileage. Coincidentally I measured what I was getting before the tranny problem and was quite surprised. --- 11.5mi/gal city and 19mi/gal hwy.
  • Options
    peteridypeteridy Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 CE and its rear brakes made the annoying noises under the same conditions you had described. It started at around 3000 miles.
    The dealer re-surfaced the rear drums and the noise stopped.
    I put in another 300 miles since the fix and
    the noise has not returned. I only have to put up with the rattling noise from the dash board now.
  • Options
    Happy to hear that your dealer and Toyota are going to warranty your van's transmission.
    Maybe you should have waited thru the weekend before raising the flag tho'. Given the fact that we've just gone thru the busy holiday, it's understandable decisions on issues like yours might take a day or two longer.
    Enjoy your Toyota--it really is a good product!
  • Options
    My boss has had 5 Toyotas - all extremely reliable. No tranny problems. Tranny2000 - lots of boat towing and city miles - hmm. No, you couldn't have known the tranny was a problem, and the original tranny fluid should have lasted 35K easily. It's just bad luck, but I'm glad you won't go out of pocket for the repair!

I took my '99 XLE in to a new dealer yesterday (we recently moved) and asked them to replace an interior trim part and look at the sliding door catch post that was rusting. The service manager said, "Hmm, I've never seen one rust before - looks like something was spilled on it." I thought, oh great, hear comes the "it's the consumer's fault" routine. But he simply ordered the part, and it will be fixed under warranty during a 2-hour visit!
  • Options
    I think you have the 2000 - Jul/Aug manuf? If your dealer got P0770 on the diagnostic, that's probably the bad TC and replacing it should do it. That's the problem I had, and everything's fine now. (3k+ miles later)

You asked about the mileage. I talked to a service dept. at a dealership here who only did 2 jobs, mine at over 3k, and the other was around 35k.

I posted here previously (around Sept./Oct. timeframe) with a lot of detail, including the Toyota Service Bulletin info. The P0770 problem is caused by the torque converter not kicking into overdrive as soon as it's supposed to, not a serious defect and absolutely should not cause any damage to anything. (There's some info at www.yotarepair.com on this too, under "breaking news.")

I read through everyone's post, and they all had the check engine light come on. Possibly you had another (or are still having) a different problem.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    2muchmoney12muchmoney1 Member Posts: 4
    Celica , MR2 , Supra , Corolla , T100 , 95 T100 , 97 Avalon , now a 2001 Sienna , all of my Toyotas had over 140,000 miles on them except for the T100s , had neck surgery and sold them , wished I never did. All of them NEVER had any problems , all of my friends and family always had problems with their autos. I've been 100% satisfied and also got top dollar when I sold them.The only problem I have with my Sienna is the front windsheild has a defective wave in the glass itself , and am wondering if that is in the design or a defect ? other than that it's a great ride and anyone who has ever rode in it , is impressed to the fullest , and said they would buy a Sienna , if they wanted a van.
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    My 2001 XLE has a wave seen when looking not straight out but when looking say from pass seat out extreme driver side on front glass. Not bad but noticable. May complain latter, but why mess with original seal on window with replacement. Otherwise a nice van.
    BTW Sludge has been brought up in the RX300 topic now. I am very sceptical of that subject and feel it is not a real problem for those who maintain the vehicles well.
    INKY
  • Options
    upthecreekupthecreek Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a new 2000 Sienna in late 1999. I have had several stud and/or nut failures occur during routine tire rotations. A torque wrench was used (set at 90 lbs) each time, so I know they weren't over- torqued. The dealership says no problem exists, but two aircraft machinists have examined the components and both agree that the nuts are very poorly engineered. The van has the original alloy wheels.
    Has anyone else experienced any stud or nut failures on their Sienna??