Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Care & Maintenance

123457»

Comments

• pigloverpiglover Member Posts: 25
    To access the fuse panel on the 2007 Focus one has to first remove the CD storage box. The owner's manual does not say how to remove it. It's plastic and I don't want to force it and break it. Does anyone know how to remove it.
    Thank-you
  • k33j88k33j88 Member Posts: 2
    Is replacing a crankcase filter involved or can it be done in my backyard?
  • k33j88k33j88 Member Posts: 2
    Could a fuel filter be done fairly easy?
  • bereketbereket Member Posts: 8
    many years later, I also need to know this about the manual saying to add the new coolant into the heater hose....and also says to drain the coolant from the engine block, but where is the plug for that? I would like to do what they say, but it seems like the radiator doesn't "hold" a lot of the coolant, right...and you aren't refilling the radiator, right? We are in freezing temps now at night so I'm worried since I have been losing fluid and was just adding water for a while.
    Becky
    My manual says to drain the coolant from the engine block also...where is that plug located? It says to refill coolant pouring it into the heater hose going to radiator...with a funnel..so I don't put it just into the overflow tank? Has anyone done this? I saw an old post that had no real answer on this . thanks Becky
  • marked1marked1 Member Posts: 15
    Hi, there is no need to make it hard on your self messing with engine block coolant
    plug unless your engine is out the car. Just drain it from radiator and refill into
    overflow tank.
    Thanks for quick reply, I was worried because we have suddenly freezing temperatures here at night and I started losing coolant a few weeks ago and have been topping it up with only water, so I wasn't sure what concentration coolant I have now overall especially the coolant in the block..but I added straight coolant into the overflow last few days, hoping to rectify things. (?) Anyway, given what you said, I will drain the radiator and refill in the overflow. I need to find out what's leaking I see no leak from the radiator or hoses all look fine and the oil looks fine too (thinking if it's an internal leak like the head gasket) the car has about 90,000 miles seems too early to have a gasket problem....I will look at other posts to see what else it could be
  • genel1genel1 Member Posts: 5
    While driving, my speedometer will all of a sudden go to 0mph and stay there, then after a while will reengage to the correct speed. Seems to happen in the morning about 5 miles into the commute on a daily basis, then at other times just whenever. What is up? Thank you in advance for your replies
  • dnatechdnatech Member Posts: 25
    Hi,
    I have a 2003 Focus sedan with 100,003 and little work done on it. I drive 40 miles a day mostly highway between 60 and 65 mph and get aprox. 34 MPG.
    The AC no longer works but it's no big deal.
    I have experienced loss of the display panel - speed, fuel gauge, engine block heat, radio,etc... when in summer it gets really hot and humid, and I left the window opened and it rained. The car works well but I have no idea at what speed I am driving.
    Once the car gets dry, everything is back to normal.
    It would seem to be a bad connection when it's humid?
  • dnatechdnatech Member Posts: 25
    Hi,
    I just passed 100,000 miles and wonder if a timing belt (or chain?) should be replaced. The car runs really well and little maintenance has been done beside oil change and tires.
    Is the camshaft belt scheduled to be replaced at 120,000 the equivalent??
    I know, maybe a dumb question?
  • steve502steve502 Member Posts: 1
    Here is the deal. Ford manufactors the Focus with a 2 degree negative camber. This makes your rear tires go defective as fast as 10,000 miles especially if you don't rotate your tires very often. You can get an alignment every month and it will not fix the defect. I have 24,000 miles on my focus and I have my third set of tires on it. I've did the research. An alignment shop here in Warrensburg MO found the problem and fixes around 4-5 Ford Focus a month. They put in a kit that brings the camber within a fraction of a inch which will give you about 3 times the life span of the tires. The don't have the ability to zero the camber. If you don't get this done, you will be buying tires like I did every year. I did make a complaint to my dealer and the Ford Company itself with no help so I sent my complaint to the National Highway Safety department which investigates safety issues and forces auto companies to fix defects with a recall. Need folks like you to do the same. The last set of rear tires I took off scared me. It was so close of coming apart. Call 1-888-327-4236 and make you complaint today.
  • markus5markus5 Member Posts: 102
    edited March 2010
    My '04 ZTS has 80,000 K, and I have posted before regarding "Tire Problems and Strategies for this vehicle. The original equipment tires were "" assymetrical non- directional All-season" Pirelli P-6's. Although they are not rated highly in Tire rack surveys, and I was not impressed with them after the original 20,000 plus miles, I may be looking to install a similar type of tire as soon as as snow season is over.
    Over the last 6 years I have been through too many Max Performance summer tires which are only used for 7-8 months of the year. They were amazing in grip but have no guarantees for treadware and as they are typically directional they can not be rotated except front-back. It is obviously a trade-off. In this particular ( Focus) type of suspension & alignment set-up, It seems that tires with softer compounds are stressed especially in the 205-50 16 inch size. The smaller winter tire which I use does not seem to have these problems.
    When it comes my tire costs over these 61/2 years, this has not been an economy car
    But the Driving dynamics of these cars are tops, I will definitly be looking at the new model in 12 months or so !
  • jordan24jordan24 Member Posts: 1
    I was surprised to find out that I did not have to change air filter until 100,000 miles. Really surprised when I found out it cost approx. $500. The mechanic told me later that I really did not have to do it; it looked good since I drive lots of highway miles. Why is this filter so different from others and to protect car when should I change it? I am anxious to get answers and cannot find any.
  • callieabbycallieabby Member Posts: 2
    On my focus there are 2 tabs on the cd storage box. Push those in and it should come out easily. I have do it and is a bit tough at first cause I was scared to break it. But just apply some pressure to the tabs.
  • callieabbycallieabby Member Posts: 2
    I was informed this morning by a mechanic that those filters should be self cleaning and should not have to be replaced. I'm not sure since I have never heard of this before. :confuse:
  • lostlost Member Posts: 64
    These filters are not self cleaning , they will clog up and need replacement eventually. There is a gauge built into the side that indicates how the filter is operating, green is good, red is bad.This must be checked while the engine is running.You can go to the Visteon web site to learn more about the filter, look for "Air Induction Systems".
  • jeff618jeff618 Member Posts: 29
    On my mission to find an upgraded rear wiper blade for my Focus Hatchback, I found a great wiper blade for all around... If you want to upgrade to the newer-style frameless wipers, I could only find one aftermarket choice that had the 14" size for the rear as well as the 22" ds & 19" ps. I found the "Trico NeoForm Beam Blades" online and they're fairly priced, wipe super well, are super quiet, and look really good. They perform well in rain, mist, snow and ice and put up with the abuse of a Wisconsin winter. The place I bought them from just notified me that there's a $15 rebate thru 5/15/2010. I highly recommend...
  • mwolf9000mwolf9000 Member Posts: 29
    I need to remove the interior door trim panel of the rear driver's side door of my 2002 Focus 4 door sedan. I removed all the little screws around the outside of the panel and also the little screw behind the inside door handle. What else is holding this panel in? It's not budging, and I hesitate to just start prying things apart. Anyone?
  • steveinarizonasteveinarizona Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2009 and a 2005 Ford Focus. My 2009 bought new we went through our first set of tires by 22K miles. I took it to the dealer to see what the problem was and they told me that Ford had a known problem with the camber and the only thing we could do is install some kit at our expense to correct this otherwise we will continue to experience excessive wear. Ford does not cover this under any warranty as it is considered by them a wear and tear issue. They know they have an issue with their rear suspension alignments but they do not want to address it at their expense. I now have 38K and will be neededing a second set of tires soon. I drive this all highway for the most part. My other complaint is the A/C system is not all that great here in Arizona heat. Takes awhile to cool yet my 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee A/C gets gold very quickly.
  • wgreenwgreen Member Posts: 17
    I want to check to see if the dealer actually changed the air filter which they suggested even though I only have 15000 miles. I unsnap the 3 clamps on top but can only get the top to tilt up a fraction of an inch,don't want to force it. From what I can see the filter looks to be orange color,don't know if that would be OEM or not.
    Also what is the plastic gizmo on the side of the filter that sticks up like a handle?

Thanx
    wfgreen
  • 00h_yeah00h_yeah Member Posts: 1
    Okay where to start, my 2000 Ford Focus has been a nightmare this last month of owning it. I will bypass all of the other problems that it had so I can figure out my most immediate need.

Here’s what has been replaced in the car so far: alternator, fuel relay and fuse for the fuel pump, the gas cap, and the battery.

My car broke down the other day when I was at Sonic with my boyfriend. We tried to start it like 6 times and it just wouldn't go. We called a tow truck; he came by and went to go put the car in neutral. He starts the car, the first time and it starts right up. We get in the car amazed and drive it home.

The vehicle now will not start, sometimes if I let it sit awhile it will attempt to start (since all the lights come on and such) but it just refuses to roll over all the way.

Very shortly before all this I would have to disconnect the connector on the battery for about a minute or two, then reconnect it and start it. Giving it some gas right after I started the car was vital since it would putter out, as if it's getting no fuel.

Also the Fuel Cut Off Switch was poking up (meaning it was engaged) so we pushed it back down. Don't know if that helps at all.

To continue...after reading up on many of the forums and talking with people from auto marts, I’ve come up with a list of the possible problems.

(I don't know anything about cars, but I'm trying to learn so I can fix my car)

Possible Problems that may need to be replaced:
    1) Green #30 fuse for the Ignition in slot 8
    2) Cam Sensor
    3) Ignition Coil (which I just bought a replacement for, but have not installed it yet.)
    4) Fuel Relay (I have already replaced this, so it should be crossed off the list)
    5) Fuel Cut off Switch

Please if anyone can help me I swear I'll get rid of this nightmare of a car and get a foreign car!
    :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • kelstar88kelstar88 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Ford Focus with 45,000 miles on it. Had to replace the tires at 30,000 miles because of severe cupping. I had been rotating the tires every oil change (5Kmiles) and aligned the car every 4-6 months. Tires still went bad. Now, my tires are cupped again. I've only driven the car 10,000 miles since my last tires were put on.

I can't afford to keep replacing the tires. Someone told me it was my suspension that needed to be replaced ($2K), another told me it was my shocks in the back that needed to be replaced every 30Kmiles (twice as often as you normally should). Others told me I didn't rotate or align enough, but that's ridiculous. I do it more than I should have to.

Dealership won't help, they wouldn't help me the first time around. They told me they didn't cover tires and that was normal wear and tear. So I was stuck with the bill. Even though my car was still under warranty and the tires should have lasted longer.

No I don't know what to do, I have been reading all of these other forums and people are all having the same problems. I don't want to be stuck with this for the life of the car. Debating just to sell it and move on from Ford... since they are willing to put a car out that has a problem like this.

Ford just spins you in circles, tells you to call someone else until you break down and stop.

Someone help? Or have answers?
    to Kelstar

I have a 2009 Ford Focus and I had to replace all the tires at 20,000 miles and I am on my third set at 60,000 miles. It is a known problem by the Ford dealerships and major tire stores and also known by Ford. The problem is in the rear alignment that is a defect that can be corrected by having ford install some kit that runs about $400. I haven't done it just on the principal that I shouldn't have to on a new car and awaiting somebody with time to file a class action lawsuit against Ford to submit all my tire receipts to. You could try suing Ford in small claims court as a way of getting their attention. There was some lawyer who took on a car company that way and she won even though the car manufacture sent how the big gun lawyers to fight her small claims action. They do that as it is cheaper to pay big lawyers to squash the little guy so they don't have to pay big expensive recalls for defects. I am sure Ford monitors boards like this to monitor customer complaints to see if it is getting to the point they need to do some positive PR but losing a few customers is cheaper to them then millions of dollars in recall. It a simple business decsion and customer service/satisfaction isn't a part of that. Its the bottom line that they care about not you and me and others who bought a car from them. I have two ford focuses in my small business and after I use these up I am going back to Hyundai cars that I had no issues with before.
    Kelstar- another poster posed this info on the known tire issue and he is absolutely correct. What he wrote is what my dealer told me. I am posting his comments below.

Here is the deal. Ford manufactors the Focus with a 2 degree negative camber. This makes your rear tires go defective as fast as 10,000 miles especially if you don't rotate your tires very often. You can get an alignment every month and it will not fix the defect. I have 24,000 miles on my focus and I have my third set of tires on it. I've did the research. An alignment shop here in Warrensburg MO found the problem and fixes around 4-5 Ford Focus a month. They put in a kit that brings the camber within a fraction of a inch which will give you about 3 times the life span of the tires. The don't have the ability to zero the camber. If you don't get this done, you will be buying tires like I did every year. I did make a complaint to my dealer and the Ford Company itself with no help so I sent my complaint to the National Highway Safety department which investigates safety issues and forces auto companies to fix defects with a recall. Need folks like you to do the same. The last set of rear tires I took off scared me. It was so close of coming apart. Call 1-888-327-4236 and make you complaint today.
  • frogsonwheelsfrogsonwheels Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    Ok, so i am doing a lower ball joint. Rivets. Yayyy!!! Not.
    So i go to my buddys shop. Grab the air chisel and drill. Take off heads (7 hours to do this whole job btw), drill at them dead center, air chisel. Worked for the front two. After 4 hours. Last one does not want to come out.
    Mind you, i am working with 1- and 2- ton jacks, stands, and a friends power tools. I cant get a straight hit at this thing for the life of me. Most will say " remove the control arm". To which i say "no!". Been there done that on reverse side for free ( borrowed same car, girlfriend hit curb in snow, i replaced the broken control arm).
    Anywho, cant get this last one out, and whilst in the middle of this job, i tore the cv boot. I've read around and got mixed reactions. My plans, 1.fill with grease and duct tape or two, ask said person for money for a "split boot".

Im looking for ideals, tips, helpful knowledge, do's and dont's, etc.

Not looking to be called an idiot. I've been under cars for 11 years. Just never saw these rivets. Down to one...well 2/5 of one. Maybe 3/5. The point is it wont come out. Thanks for reading all this and have a great day. Hope someone can help.
  • frogsonwheelsfrogsonwheels Member Posts: 2
    Btw, might be helpful if i could post pics but all is well.
  • willacwillac Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to chime in here. My 2005 Focus has 104,000 miles on it and I am on my fourth set of tires! The factory installed ones lasted about 20,000 miles. It never occurred to me to ask what kind of tires a car used before I bought it, but I will now. In addition to the very expensive low profile racing-type tires on this really mundane little car, they get the weirdest tire wear I have ever seen. The front tires both cracked and split on the outer sidewall and the rear ones have bald patches.

The last time I bought tires the guy at NTB said the rear tire wear was caused by bad shocks. What do I know? I went ahead and had him replace the shocks, and here I am again. I wish I had read this thread before I did that.

Guy at Tires Plus today told me that the problem is that the Focus is so light in back that the tires "bounce" and "squirm around" causing the weird tire wear. When I get the new tires tomorrow I will ask him whether it would help to put some weight in the trunk. I can't afford to buy a new car, but I can't really afford to out new tires on every year, either.
  • snowbunny1975snowbunny1975 Member Posts: 1
    I had battery replaced in vehicle, 12 hours later I turn key to start truck, does nothing. No lights, no radio, no heat but have headlights. I then go to turn key off, won't go into lock position & can't even put truck in neutral. We mess with it a bit finding out battery isn't connected tightly, no spark at all so we tighten it & charge it to start. Now 1 day later key stuck in ignition again, no juice anywhere & battery is completely dead & key stuck in ignition again. Anyone have any suggestions????