Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Accessories & Modifications

phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
edited July 2014 in Honda
Has anybody installed either of these self-dimming mirrors? I'm also very interested in their outside temp feature.

Comments

• ckonckon Member Posts: 22
    I've installed two of them. One on my son's '01 Xterra and one on my '01 Ody. What would you like to know?
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Just the person I need to talk to. Every time I look at the instructions for installation, particularly wrt the temp sensor, I get the shivers. Seems to involve alot of removal of trim pieces, tieing into electrical, drilling through firewalls, etc. They seem to make it sound like a 2 year old could do it in about an hour!

I was wondering have you done anything like this before, how long it took you, what were the "tricky bits", and were you pleased with the results in the Ody?

Thanks.
    First, mine is a Donnelly mirror and yes, I liked the results. The auto dim function of the mirror is kind of a sleeper; you wonder how you got along without it. And the outside temp is nice, too, except that then pretty soon you also want to know the inside temp!

The temp sensor isn't too bad to install, but it's like anything else in that it depends a lot on your comfort level when it comes to tearing into your brand new $30k vehicle . I've installed fog lights, played with the wiring on my door motors, pulled the panels off my doors, replaced speakers, etc., so I don't feel too spooky about messing anything up, but take what I say with a grain of salt and decide for yourself what you're comfortable with.

The temp sensor instructions suggest cutting the sensor wires so you only have to make a small hole in the firewall grommet to pass the wires instead of having to drill a big hole for the connector. You then splice the wires back together. That works a lot better. It can be a little tedious, but I think the job took about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. I clipped the sensor to the bottom of the bumper skin on the inside, just below the radiator and ran the wires up and back around the battery and air cleaner and through the grommet. The fog light instructions on Trevor's site show the location of the grommet very clearly. The rest is not too bad.

Let me know if you need any more info. I'll help if I can.
    I think I might tackle this one. I really like the features (dimmer and temp). I'll bother you later when I need more info.

Incidentally, the other item I've been thinking about is a backup obstacle sensor system (this things tough to see behind). Have ya installed one of those??
    No, but I think I want one too. I just haven't found one that doesn't look too obtrusive and is affordable and is reasonable in price. Fussy, ain't I?

Let us know if you find one that you like.
  • rbpearsonrbpearson Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your info on the mirror install. I will be tackling this install in the next few weeks but require clarification on the mirror mount. Does the required (button) adaptor connect directly to the existing mount? If so was the process to make this connection difficult? I expect to have my new Oddy by the end of Feb and this is the first upgrade I will make. I will then add Fogs but I am torn between the $300 factor fogs (OUCH) or aftermarket PIAA's. What was your choice for the fogs?

Thanks in advance!
    When you obtain your mirror, be sure to specify the Honda mount. The button is part of the mount. It takes about ten seconds to switch from the stock mirror to the Donnelly. You just grasp the mount at the winshield and rotate it 90 degrees and it will drop out. Reverse the procedure and your new mirror is mounted. All that's left is the wiring, but of course that takes a little longer .

I had installed a pair of PIAA 1500XT Ion fogs and they worked fairly well, but I'm not too excited about the yellowish light and I didn't care for the rectangular appearance so I ordered the 01 Honda fogs from Trevor and have been very happy with them. I think they look GREAT and they perform at least as well.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
    I totally agree with ckon on the fogs. I waited 4 months for the new fogs to come out before having them installed. They look great, they are made of high impact plastic (like the headlamps) to prevent chipping/cracking, and they have very good optics (low, wide, bright pattern).
  • rbpearsonrbpearson Member Posts: 4
    I appreciate the input on these accessories. The fog lights really had me thinking, but I guess I will spring for the Honda lights. They definitely look good and it is reassuring to hear that they perform well. Looks like I have a lot of wiring to look forward to :-)

Thanks again!!!
    ...the wiring wasn't near as bad as the instructions made it sound. The only scary part was removing the bumper skin and even that was VERY easy once you figure out how it's to be done. Just make sure to have someone help you pop the skin off. It's very light, but a little clumsy for one person to handle.

Good luck and have fun. It's worth it.
    ...pics of the '01 Ody, some with and without the fogs:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/E5EF2F60BF78337
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    Nice pics of fog lights. I had trouble downloading the installing instructions from Trevor' site. Please give some insights regarding the install (difficulty, time, etc).
    ..instructions aren't quite up to date for the 01 lights, anyway. His site shows the same ones for both styles. The instructions that come with the lights ARE correct though. The 01s recommend removing the bumper skin. I'm not sure why but it's easier anyway. I don't think there were any other differences.

I think difficulty is like beauty; i.e "in the eye of the beholder" and I didn't think the installation was too bad. Probably about four hours. If you could do it a second time, it'd probably only take about an hour and a half to two hours.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Does anyone know if you can get a 3-seat second row bench for the Odyssey? I think that it would be great if someone could develop a 60-40 split second row bench where the 40% portion could be released and folded forward to allow access to the back seats. I know that you can release the side by slide buckets to do this so it isn't like it is a big trick to make it (my father owns an Odyssey). Just build a 60% wide bench to sit over the remaining portion of the second row.

I was seriously considering the Odyssey (or the new MPV) but the fact that the second row can only seat 2 people killed it for me. I have 3 kids and when we travel we need to have a large storage area (it is amazing how much stuff you need to travel with when you have 3 kids). The magic 3rd row seat in the Odyssey is great because you can fold it away, load up gear, and when you arrive to your destination you still have a 3rd row to carry people around . . . but you can only take 4 people along in the car when the 3rd row seat is folded away. If a 3 seat 2nd row could be developed it would be great.
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    I think you may be surprised by the amount of room behind the third seat. Remember that the well that the seat disappears into is nearly as big as a trunk of some cars, so you have storage starting my guess is 18" + below the floor board and a great place to change wiggly babies. Additionally, you have under the seat for storage too.
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    Has anyone tried aftermarket halogen backup bulbs on their Odyssey? I find the tinting in the rear behind the front seats makes it hard to see going in reverse in the dark. I had a set of these in my trade-in 96 Blazer and didn't find them to be any better than the stock bulbs. Also, I see that the stock bulbs in the Odyssey are 18w. Has anyone tried the higher power 27w units instead of the 21w units? The alternative is to hook up a reverse driving or fog lights and attaching it to the underbody to get a full 55w of lighting power. It's just a matter of finding a good location to mount one. Perhaps mounting the PIAA 1500 between the hitch and bumper would work.
  • bg18947bg18947 Member Posts: 184
    I agree with you regarding the amount of room behind the third row seat. There's plenty. It would be great if it had a shelf too.

I also use the bottom of the third row to hold everything that I need in a recycled cardboard box (jumber cables, 3 reflective triangles, hydraulic jack, plywood for the jack, tow cable, wheel chock, flares, bungies, etc...).

I believe that the only popular passenger vehicle with more cubic area is the Ford Excursion. I prefer the two seats only because it makes entry into the rear much easier. Plus, I think it would be difficult to buckle in 3 child car seats in a 3 passenger center row seat safely anyway, assuming you have this situation.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Someone on one of the Odyssey boards gave this website for backup bulbs for the Odyssey. He said they work great but not to leave them on to long as they are 50 watts which is the same as a lot of headlight bulbs. I haven't bought any yet as its just to cold here in Mich. for messing with that sort of thing. But I have kept the website for when spring arrives. If you do decide on getting some keep us posted as how you like them. Thats how we all learn.

http://www.designtech-intl.com/merchant.ihtml?id=7&step=2
  • ztzzztzz Member Posts: 16
    I had original Honda wood trims installed on my Ody by Ganley Honda (These are the same ones available at www.handaaccessories.com). The finish and the feel of the wood trims are great. However, I want to add more wood trims in the van that are not included in the Honda package, like around the door controls, left of steering column, around the AC and CD/radio controls and front passenger air vent. Have anybody out there tried matching the Honda trims with the others available aftermarket or are additional wood trims available from Honda?

Thanks in advance for your response and feedback.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I know that the Odyssey well behind the 3rd seat is big. Like I stated, my father owns an Odyssey and I was able to borrow it for a 1 week vacation. On that trip, we left our youngest with our parents and took the older two kids along with us on the trip. To carry enough 'stuff' for 2 adults, 2 children (clothing, food, etc.) plus bring along a TV/VCP and assorted movies, we had the 3rd row seat hidden away and the back of the van packed with gear. There would have been no way to bring along our youngest. I still think that a three seat 2nd row would be a great accessory for the Ody.

From the people I have talked to (or read about), the vast majority never even use the side by slide feature except to show friends and family how it works. It is too much of a hastle to move those seats regularly. A three seat 2nd row would remove the ability to have that feature but I think the advantages of being able to carry 5 passengers and all their gear on an extended trip far outweighs the loss of the side by slide feature. Plus, you could haul 8 people around with the 3rd row up. When you get back from the trip, you remove the three seat 2nd row, put the two bucket seats back in the van and you are back to normal. Just my $.02.

As far as buckling in child seats, we currently have two children in car seats (one a booster style and the other an infant seat) and the third is big enough that he doesn't need the child seat. We have no problems buckling them up in our Mazda 626. The Ody is a LOT bigger than a 626 so it is not an issue.
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    I'm going on vacation with you. If you fill the Odyssey, I know the party never ends.

We leave the 2nd row together all the time for easy of passengers in third row to get in and out.

I wish you best of luck finding the right van for your needs.
    Tomorrows (Sunday) Best Buy has the Video Traveler by SteelHorse on sale for $319.99 -$20.00 rebate for $299.99. Fits between the front seats and comes with a VHSplayer, monitor and remote. Sounds like a good deal. Didn't say what size monitor
  • jlr7jlr7 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone gotten any of the wood trim packages from Honda? If so, what do you think of them? I am thinking about ordering a set from Trevor @ Handa-Accessories.com. Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    JLR7
  • swircenskeswircenske Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know where to find seat covers for a '01 Ody? Thanks!
  • lovnlifenmyodylovnlifenmyody Member Posts: 2
    I have no where for my new SS Odyssey EX to take shelter and would like to purchase a good quality all weather van cover.Any suggestions on a type or brand name and where I might locate would be great!
  • 4grand4grand Member Posts: 5
    on the ody EX, it comes w/roof rails. This may
    sound stupid, but can the crossbars be ordered somewhere other than the dealer and installed by John Q. Citizen himself
    or do they have to be purchased and installed by the dealer. This may have been asked before, but I am new to this as our ODY has just been ordered this week and we were wondering if we have to get right away. Any idea on the cost of these through
    the dealer or ????
  • bwminbwmin Member Posts: 4
    It's not stupid to order the X-bars from the web.
    I already ordered X-bars, cassette player, wheel locks, touch-up paint, fog lights, and striker covers from handaaccessories.com.
    I got splash guard and cargo tray at hondapartsforyou.com.
    And I bought two cargo mats (;not genuine honda) at wall mart.
    I think my purchase of the accessories could be one of the best.
    Good luck for you.
  • lovnlifenmyodylovnlifenmyody Member Posts: 2
    Of the EX Splash Guards?
  • draytm01draytm01 Member Posts: 19
    My wife and I picked up our Ody on Saturday - 2 day wait! Someone renigged on their order I guess and there we were!

Now we are considering the Honda Video player. Does anyone have it installed? Did you install it yourself? Who makes it? Is the quality any good? Handaaccessories has it for $1380....

BTW - splash guards are small, about the size of an Accord.
  • huylephamhuylepham Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning to install the roof rack with crossbars on an LX. I've been told by one person that the crossbars whistle. Do any of you experience that problem? Also, where's a good place to order genuine Honda accessories? Thanks a lot.
  • gdpeckgdpeck Member Posts: 4
    I installed the roof rack on my 2000 LX, and while it doesn't necessarily whistle, there is definitely more wind noise in the van starting at about 45 MPH. I am thinking about taking it off, and replacing the rubber runners, because I don't use the roof rack, and the noise is annoying. It does look nice, however.
  • bdnoblebdnoble Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a new '01 LX, and had the cargo cover installed by the dealer (I was not ready to
    drill my car). However, when inserting or removing the cover, the grommets on the left
    side were both pushed into the gap between the interior and exterior panels. Thankfully,
    the salesperson was right there when we did it. Dealer is going to reinstall the grommets, but
    I suspect that the holes are drilled too big. Anyone have any experience? I'm strongly considering just asking them to install replacement grommets, refund the cost of the cover,
    and tossing the cover out.
    I have no personal experience but it has been said here many times that the cargo cover is a poor setup and you experienced the major flaw in the system. To bad you didn't ask here before getting. I too was interested in the cover but I was lucky enough to read about how poor it is before making the decision
  • oshadesoshades Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have any opinions regarding the Nose Mask versus the Deflector. I like the idea of having some protection on the front bumper. I have heard of problems in the far past with rubbing off paint by using a nose mask. Anyone have experience with the Nose Mask?
  • nighthawk750nighthawk750 Member Posts: 4
    I bought the mask for highway trips, but leave it off otherwise. If it gets wet, you have to take it off and let it and the paint dry. I made the mistake of leaving a bra on my Saturn for too long with it wet, and it ruined the paint underneath. The mask for the Odyssey is very nice, and is extremely soft on the back - I doubt it would rub off any paint. It fits very very tight so it doesn't move around at all.
  • fg9812fg9812 Member Posts: 1
    I just brought an new Odyssey. My dealer offer me the teflon coating to protect paint and fiberics with cost of $295 (5yr, get a new coating each year). Does anyone use this option/service? I have few friends told me that "don't do it". I would appreciate anyone's comments and suggestions.
  • cincy_ody_mikecincy_ody_mike Member Posts: 28
    For my fabric, I bought 2 cans of Scotchgard for about $8. For the paint, I'm trusting the paint job done by Honda at the factory. I'm not sure what benefit Teflon provides for paint anyway that a decent wax job wouldn't do better.
    Methinks you got ripped off.
  • phsmitsphsmits Member Posts: 4
    I read all the posts and never did see anyone mention anything on rubber roof slats. My old van had them to protect the finish. I just got my 01 EX and already ordered the cross bars from hondapartsforyou.com, but found nothing on the rubber roof slats. Seems Honda never completely finished their roof rack system?? They have the indentations for the slats just no slats!!(No crossbars either)

Anyway, I went on a mission and found exactly what I was looking for (Search engine google.com)after several attempts of figuring out the name (the slats). You can get a set of 4 self-adhesive strips in varying lengths for $29.95 plus $7 s/h UPS. I am definitely ordering!! Here is the web site:

http://www.prolineracks.com/centerslat.html

Great price for a much needed item!

• ck55ck55 Member Posts: 7
    Got to be the worst design ever. I installed my self and have the opposite problem the little plastic caps stay in the grommets, then if you don't bend the heck out of the cover to get it out the side panels get all scratched up from the support pole ends. We like to leave the middle head rest out for rear view so 2 or the six hooks are always rattling around. Glad I bought over the net!

We have a '99 is the front mat any better now? Never stays in place. The aftermarket we have a problem hold the mat in place bracket must have gotten 1 minute of design time make that 30 secs.
  • kurt642kurt642 Member Posts: 1
    We had the after market roof rack installed on our 2000 LX and the increased wind noise is noticable. I too have also considered removing it, but the tough part is, the thing looks cool! American's are weird aren't we? Has anyone successfully removed the crossbars alone to successfully eliminate or reduce wind noise? This would be a similar setup to the stock EX rack.
  • gfxguygfxguy Member Posts: 18
    I have heard that the crossbars are slightly more rounded on one side than the other, and that if you make sure the more rounded side is facing forward the road noise will diminish.

I can't speak from experience because I'm still waiting for delivery of my EX.
  • joeredajoereda Member Posts: 3
    did we get the dvd to play on nav screen yet????
  • bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    Hi guys, just picked up our 01 EX GG last Friday night. Next thing to do is shopping for accessories. I am going to get Splash guard, Cargo Tary and Wheel Lock from H and A Accessories looks like good deal to get all 3 and pay only $ 10 bucks for wheel lock.

Got 2 more questions regarding Floor Mats and Cargo Mats.
    1. Looking to get Weathertech rubber floor mats for front, rear and 3rd. Has anyone gotten Weathertech? How do they look?
    2. I read post #28 regading getting cargo mats from Wal Mart. Honda genuine cargo mats is selling about $73.10 on the net. Also found Weathertech (roadworksauto.com) selling $99.95 plus shipping $8. What's the difference between all 3? Any comments?
    Thanks,
    I have the Weathertech mats in our 01 EX Nav and they fit real well. I left in the mats that came with it and just put these over the top. They are a perfect fit to the mats that come in the Ody. Don't know about the 3rd row as I did't get them. Mine are the gray that matches the interior perfectly.
    Thanks dmathews3,
    We are looking for gray weathertech to match fern interior color. I am a little disappointed @ our Odyssey front mats. It buckled a little bit, no matter how hard I tried, it won't lay flat on the floor.
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    We have a 2000 LX with the fern interior and I bought the black Weathertech mats. I figured the black mats would look nicer than gray on the fern. They fit and look really nice. I also just laid them over the factory mats with no problems other than the fact that it keeps the drawer under the passenger seat (which I added) from opening all the way. If I need to open the drawer any further, I just have to lift the mat a little. The front and center row mats fit without any trimming. I had to trim the third row mat a little, but it's easy because the mats have pre-scored lines to cut along.

Len
    Thanks leo:

I ordered the gray one from roadworksauto.com. I was going to order black since we ordered black cargo tray for behind 3rd well. But wife wants gray since she is a better color coordinator than me. LOL
    You'll like the new mats. Also just as before I got mine they made a slight change for the better. They made them so that both front will interlock together, also the 2nd ones too. That way they look like one big mat in the frt. and rear, but being heavy they come out easier. If like us it's mostly just a driver and that way I can just clean the drivers mat more often.
    Thanks!
    I can't wait to get my weathertech mats, so far haven't heard anything about shipping it. It said 1-2 weeks on their website not sure its shipping date or delivery date. Since I am in Ca they ship from MA that's at least 1 week shipping time.

I am also looking to get cargo mats/cargoliner. Honda's cargo mats look like too samll it starts from 3rd seat latch to the tail gate. Weathertech also sells cargoliner @$99.95+$8.-(shipping). Too bad Roadworksauto only has pic for previous model 95-98.
    Have you thought about one of those mats for the bottom of a truck. They are about 4 X 8 and fairly heavy but make a good protector when carrying big things. Some people here have bought carpeting that the Home Depot type stores sell and cut them to fit. they like them as they can get them that match closely the color of the carpet in the van. Just a couple of suggestions to make your decision harder.
This discussion has been closed.