Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Problems

dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
edited March 2014 in Honda
I have a 01 EX-Nav and I have noticed the wiper blades icing up. I believe it's because Honda has them sitting to low on the windshield. They sit about a inch below where the defroster ducts are so never get any heat to keep them melted. Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have a solution?

Comments

• phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Yup. Same problem. I've semi-solved it the hard way. I'm using winter wiper blades (rubber boot shielding all the joints and helps protect the blade also) and I add a de-icing liquid to my reservoir. I just keep spraying until it deices the blades. I have also done this to my Pathfinder which has a great wiper system at low speeds because it is the only thing that works at highway speeds. Remember when wiper blades used to be down below hood level, nice and protected??
  • martinplmartinpl Member Posts: 3
    I have a concern about my new Odyssey EX fuel gauge. The indicator needle comes to very close to Empty when only 13-14 gallons are consumed and lights the gas reserve indicator.The tank capacity is 20 gal, so I would expect it should be in reserve when 16-18 gallons used. At half of gauge, only 6-7 gallons are used. I taken it to the dealer twice. The first time they replaced the "sending unit" but still didn't read right. The second time they said it is a "feature" of the Odyssey. I say I am not getting the benefit of having a 20gal tank. Is this a "feature" or do I have problem with my VAN???? If not, how do you keep track of gas?
  • mike734mike734 Member Posts: 128
    What is the most fuel you have put in your Odyssey? I took an extra tank with me for a while but had to fill up before I could run dry. I put 18.6 in the tank. I would like to know if anybody can get a full 20 in the tank.
  • lsg1lsg1 Member Posts: 42
    I understand that you can use regular or premium gas in the 2001 Odyssey. The difference will be in the horsepower. Would there be any problem with sometimes using regular, and sometimes using premium? I remember reading on the windstar forum some saying that it is not good to do that because of carbon buildup in the engine.

Thanks
    The only issue I'm aware of in switching between different grades of fuel is that it takes the engine computer some time to compensate for the new fuel (timing, fuel/air ratio, etc.) so the engine doesn't run as smooth for a short period of time. As for carbon buildup, if you run regular fuel in an engine that REQUIRES premium, the engine will run rich to compensate which can lead to carbon buildup and can eventually foul the 02 sensors. However, the Ody doesn't require premium so it will compensate for the lower octane fuel and should not cause carbon buildup.
  • jihleejihlee Member Posts: 9
    What kind of resistance does the door have to run into to reverse directions? I tried to push on the door while it was closing and it did not want to stop. I have two small boys (less than 2) so I'm afraid they may get "ran over" by the doors. I want to get it fixed, if it is broken, as soon as possible. Any response would be appreciated.
    I have also tried to hold the door and thought the pressure was excessive. However, I put my arm in the way (against the door jam) and the door reversed with very little pressure. Try it.
  • bajasbajas Member Posts: 14
    With all the lights inside the Odyssey, and the probability that it will be hauling kids who have a tendency to leave them on, I can't believe the vehicle does not have some kind of timer to shut them off (even my lowly Voyager had that no-brainer feature) after the motor is turned off. Has anyone else contended with this problem? Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing? Help! I'm tired of jump starting!!
  • rcwhitercwhite Member Posts: 1
    Hello all - while it's comforting to see I'm not alone, it is sad to see others are having the same problems. We've been back 4 times now for problems with the latches, door sensors, buzzers, etc. I know that's not a record, but it's more than we want. Does anyone know of any "lemon law" replacements due to sliding door latch problems? Odd thing is, we'd only want it replaced with another Odyssey!!! With working doors, of course! Any help would be appreciated.
    Bob
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    The doors only reverse in the last 18" of travel. That is why they are difficult to push yet retract easily when your arm is in the way.
  • pgeigerpgeiger Member Posts: 2
    I'm also concerned about the sliding doors and the amount of pressure it needs as jihlee mentioned in a previous post as I have 2 small children also who are not always paying attention! I'm intruding here a bit as I don't own an Ody; I test drove one yesterday and I'm feeling it's a deal breaker at this point. (Which is bumming me out as the Ody seems to clearly be the best) But I thought who better to ask than owners!

My experience with the doors was this - I could not get the door on the one I drove to switch direction by pushing it or banging it - not even during the last 18'' of travel.

The only time it switched direction was when the door wedged my arm up against the door jam and squeezed - HARD. It hurt a bit and I'm a grown man - I fear for a child that got in the way.

Is this the way it's supposed to be or was the one I was test driving not functioning properly? Can you choose to shut the doors manually if you want (switching off the auto), perhaps using it that way when you're transporting small children and using the convenience when you're not?
    I know I could buy the LX instead but the auto doors are a nice option, if only you didn't need the strength of a bull to reverse them.

Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated--
  • chris184chris184 Member Posts: 2
    I have a concern with the door as well. Just bought EX( dealer is ripping me off)) I still cannot stop the door when closing. I was going to ask Honda.
    I never buy the extended warranty but because of the sliding door I bought a ext warr for 1495 ( money back if not used)
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    I've slammed my fingers in a regular old car door more than once. My wife did it with power locks engaged and the owner of the car already in the building. It took about ten minutes before anyone realized she hadn't made it in from parking and go free her to get medical attention. I'll take the slow closing reversing(whatever the pressure is) over old fashion car doors.
  • mzwmzw Member Posts: 1
    The refuel light comes on in my 01 Ody EX at about 14 gallons used. The most I have filled up with is 15.5 gallons. I asked the dealer how much gas is supposed to be lift when the light comes on, since it is not in the manual, and they said the "reserve amount" is 2 gallons. I thought I might try carrying a gallon of fuel when the weather gets a little nicer and testing it out the same as Mike wrote in post #4. I too would love to know if anyone has come close to the 20 gallons the tank is supposed to hold. By the way Phil, thanks for the frozen wiper blade suggestions. I have been experiencing the same problems when driving in the last two snow storms. I was however pleased that Ody did have great traction.
  • socdwardsocdward Member Posts: 1
    we have a one-week old Ody 2001 and we noticed the whole brake assembly of both rear tires were covered with rust. is there anybody out there who had/has the same problem?

i will bring our van to our dealer tomorrow and see what they can do about it. any suggestions on what i should ask them to do about it?

i asked a local mechanic about it and he said that it shouldnt really post as a (mechanical) problem as most of those are made of cast iron. he did advise me to ask the dealer to clean up the rust and paint it with a rust inhibitor (as doing it myself might void the warranty)
  • joeiacobellijoeiacobelli Member Posts: 1
    I have a new Honda Odyssey with the same problem with the Fuel Gauge. When the Gauge reads empty, I can only get 14.5 gallons of fuel into the tank. This means that even though I have a 20 gallon tank, 14.5 gallons is usable. I spend alot of time either filling the tank or biting my nails off because I am driving around with a fuel gauge that reads empty even though I have 5 gallons of fuel left. Has anyone had any luck with the manufacturer in getting them to acknowledge that a problem exist and then to put together a fix for the problem. After exploring a number of chat sites, it seems that this is a systematic problem that alot of Odyssey's have.
  • maxbustermaxbuster Member Posts: 13
    Honda Southeast Customer sevive has writtenme that they "can offer no repair at this time"
  • msaittamsaitta Member Posts: 4
    While I had my EX I tried the sliding door pressure test and came up with the same results. When my arm was in there, it stopped with very little pressure but I could never "hold" it back. As far as the lemon laws, I got Honda to refund my money due to a "clanging" in the front suspension somewhere.
  • imhip2imhip2 Member Posts: 30
    I currently own a 2000 LX with a vibration problem since new.

Other than the Michelins, traction control, seat height adjustment, LATCH system, and intermittent rear wiper are there any other changes to this model.

I am interested more in the suspension differences. Specifically a strut brace that I have heard is now part of the suspension on all models of the 2001 that was not on the 1999 or 2000 models.

Also, have any of the owners of the 2001's experienced a vibration (75MPH shimmy)? It does not appear to be that common anymore as I look through the discussions and I am wondering if maybe this strut brace could be the reason.
  • gsarchetgsarchet Member Posts: 8
    I am new to Hondas: Is there ALWAYS a light on over one of the heating/cooler directional buttons? Is there any way to turn them off? I turn the fan off, yet a light is always on. Is this supposed to be this way, or is there a problem? Thanks--
  • jacklewjacklew Member Posts: 6
    Most I filled up was with 18.4 gallons. I just ignore the light when it comes on and let it go just below E before filling up. Best mileage was 25.5 mpg driving up 101 from L.A. to the Bay Area in the rain. That 55-60 limit certainly helps. I complained about the gas tank being too small in our 1989 Camry and Toyota wanted to rip it apart to see (maybe a ruse that I could never agree to).
    Jack
  • johng14johng14 Member Posts: 31
    This is normal
  • hondaluvhondaluv Member Posts: 4
    Is there a way to turn off the maintenance light with out going to dealer? For example if I get the oil changed not at the dealer shop, how to turn off the light? I have a 2000EX
  • 3senough3senough Member Posts: 17
    I haven't tried it, but according to the manual you can turn off the light by doing the following:

1: turn off the engine.
    2: Press and hold the select/reset button and turn the ignition on.
    3: Continue holding the button for 10 seconds, until the indicator resets.

I'll have to try it soon myself.
  • beeman2beeman2 Member Posts: 1
    I am on a waiting list for an EX. I also have concerns about the sliding doors. Does anyone know if there is an override that allows you to use the doors in manual mode only (like the LX)?
  • purljampurljam Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone. I've had my 2001 EX for just under a week now, and discovered when driving it home from the dealership that the gas tank knocks when I either stop the vehicle or begin moving the vehicle from a complete stop. In addition, you can hear the gas "sloshing" around in the tank on a pretty much continuous basis.
    I called the dealership and arranged to stop and see a service manager today. He informed me "there is no reason for me to even come out and listen to the knocking and sloshing.....Honda is aware of this problem and it is unfixable."
    Hey....I paid cash for this vehicle and have a three year old daughter and a baby on the way in two months....am I being unreasonable for being concerned that there is a problem with my GAS TANK?!?!?
    I called the "800" number for Honda and was informed that ALL 2001 Hondas do this, and I shouldn't worry about the safety of the vehicle. The customer service rep said "maybe we can get someone to surround your gas tank with insulation, but there is no official fix as of yet."
    I have a friend with a 2001 EX and has no such problem....
    Are there any 2001 EX owners out there who can just take a moment to inform me if they have this problem or not? Your input and information would be very much appreciated...
    Thank you!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The sloshing sound is characteristic of the vehicle and has been listed here literally dozens of times in the past. The flat tank design required by the magic seat creates the sloshing sound.

I heard it in my Y2K EX the first couple of weeks because I was listening for it - now it blends in and I don't notice it. I would not worry about it.
    All Ody's do this. It is a characteristic of the van. All new Ody owners comment on it (including myself 6 months ago when my 2001 EX was new). It is a characteristic of new Ody owners :-)
    As robr2 sez...don't worry about, it's only there when the tank is near full and you soon stop hearing it.
  • 3senough3senough Member Posts: 17
    There is a switch on the dash which allows you to disable the power feature of the doors and use them manually; however, in this mode, the doors are hard to operate, it should not be looked at as an alternative for day to day use.
  • mgonzalesmgonzales Member Posts: 8
    Ever since we bought new. The doors have been hard to open. Especially when it is cold and damp. you have tug like hec to open them. Imagine a child trying to do it. Both cables that open the door from the Handle have come apart. Now my wife pulled on the driver side door and the cable came apart and the handle broke off. The pressure of the door closed puts pressure on the rubber seal at the top of the chassis for sealing. When you open the door the metal from inside the door sticks to the rtubber seal and it acts like a suction cup or just plain sticks to it.
    We want it fixed or get us a new one that works. I paid cash and got junk.
  • imhip2imhip2 Member Posts: 30
    We had (have) the same problem with sliders and drivers and passanger doors. I found that waxing the inter-door where the rubber meets the door helped. Also put armourall (spelling) on the rubber seels. I have only broke the drivers door handle when it was two months old so I was not as rough after that and once I got one door open I would push the other doors from the inside to get them open rather than risk breaking another handle.
  • gdpeckgdpeck Member Posts: 4
    The weatherstripping is sticking to the door, which makes it difficult to open. This is covered in Honda Service Bulletin (TSB) # 00-091. It is also mentioned extensively in the Honda Odyssey Problems forums. The fix is for the dealer to replace the weatherstripping. I have had a 2000 LX since March of 2000, and have experienced this problem almost the whole time I had the van. It is much worse in cold, and damp weather. Fortunately I never broke a handle, and the Van is going to the dealer this week for the fix.

Hope this helps
    George
  • h20guyh20guy Member Posts: 64
    since JAN. 2000 and not (1) problem. Maybe problems are due to climate or many other things.
  • sermolinsermolin Member Posts: 4
    Good Honda Dealer in Fremont, CA area.
    Hello.
    My Odyssey'99 started having problems with sliding door buzzer coming on when door are closed. Last time it happend was when I made a sharp turn while driving.

Can anyone who lives in San Jose/San Francisco/Fremont area in California recommend a Honda dealership which they have tried and liked?

Regards,

sermolin
  • qwu2001qwu2001 Member Posts: 3
    One of the doors was left open, the battery was drained overnight. I jump started the van in the morning, since then, the malfunction light (check) on the lower left of the panel was on. The manual says that this may indicate a problem in the emission control. I checked the fuel cap as suggested and found no problems. I took it to the dealer, they are so busy that I have to make an appointment next week, in the meantime, he said it should be o.k. to drive. I think it might just need a reset. Can any of you offer any help on this? Thanks. This is the first time I post a message. I did not find any previous postings of similar problem. (How do I do a search now?)

PS: I also have the problem of sticky sliding door, will the dealer replace the weather strip free?
  • cshrockcshrock Member Posts: 4
    I heard a "clunk" under the drivers feet area (left front wheel area). It happens sporadically so I can't duplicate it for the dealer. (Although they did get it to do it) It mostly does it while turning left out of a driveway. It sounds like something is binding and then breaks loose which causes a clunk. The dealer checked the brakes, suspension etc. and found all ok. They suggested that it might be a bad wheel so they switched the front wheels to see if the noise traveled to the right side. It did not. My Oyd is only 3 months old and 2800 miles. Any suggestions???l
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    Hi,

We need help to cover a scratch today located in the center of the rear bumper of our 2001 GG Odyssey. The shape/size is a reverse "L" with 0.5 inch wide/0.75 inch tall (no dents).

Thank you!
  • qwu2001qwu2001 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same thing before. I bought those touch-up paints from online Honda dealers from http://www.handa-accessories.com/, choose the color matching your van, it should be hardly noticeable after applying it.
  • grimodygrimody Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new LX and do not like the feature where you unlock the trunk and all doors then unlock. Same with the passenger side door.

Does anybody know if there is a way to disable this. I would like it very much if only the door I am using the key in was the one that go unlocked.

This is one area where the Chrysler beat Honda. This is a personal safety issue, especially for women when they load things in rear cargo space.
    I too had a beeping door problem (also in turns). The dealer adjusted the contacts and the problem has been fixed. I think it may return in the very cold weather, but for now, it is fixed.
  • logger1logger1 Member Posts: 14
    We have 2000 Ex with 20,000 miles.

It has the Chugga noise under hood on right side at start up and when we drive slow or stop in gear with AC on. The dealer tech replaced the ac belt tensioner and topped of refrigerent at 5000 miles.

That seemed to improve things. But sound is back now stronger. Any ideas? Our main concern is that the situation may lead to AC, belt or other problems later on.

If there is no harm, I guess I can get used to sounding like a semi tractor idling.

Lou H
  • jwhite86jwhite86 Member Posts: 6
    Hello. I have had my '99 Odyssey for two years now and am mostly satisfied. A couple of problems came up but were dealt with under the standard warranty. Well, the warranty is gone now. My current problem is that I am hearing a distinct popping noise in the passenger side rear of the vehicle upon making right-hand turns. It seems to happen at lower speeds and/or sharp turns. It sounds like it is associated with the suspension. Has anybody else experienced this problem? I just want a clue as to what I might be dealing with before trying to correct it out of my own pocket. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! Jeff
  • jimzimjimzim Member Posts: 3
    I have gone back through old posts and read that there was a bulliten out about the problem of the odyssey pulling
    to the right? I went to the web page and would not pull up the correct location. We have a 2000 Odyssey EX that
    on a straight road will pull to the right. We had the wheels re-balanced by the dealer and I have checked the
    air and have 34 psi in each tire. Please inform us where we can go to get a copy of the tech-bulliten. Thanks
  • nedlyjnedlyj Member Posts: 89
    I too have had the longstanding A/C knocking sound when the van is in gear. I've taken it to the dealer five times so far - always with the "no problem found" result. I've just recently noticed that there are two Honda Service Bulletins listed for this (actually one and an update). The numbers are 99041 (Honda) and SB610300 and SB615713 (NHTSA). they were released first in Oct 1999, and then in Nov 2000.

BUT...I can't find the contents of these service bulletins anywhere. It's impossible. Does anyone know where to get the full text of the service bulletins and not just the summary (that only says "EXPERIENCING A KNOCKING NOISE WITH THE A/C ON AND THE ENGINE RUNNING AT IDLE OR LOW RPM" ). My dealer (obviously) doesn't seem to know anything about them, and alldata.com has stopped providing Honda TSBs under pressure from Honda.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • bosgoodbosgood Member Posts: 1
    01, EX. I stuck a wide angle, self sticking mirror on the drivers side mirror and decided it was in the wrong place. Pulled it off and left a lot of the rubber and glue on the mirror. Any ideas how to remove this stuff without ruining the mirror or scratching the surface?

Bruce
  • rudy1000rudy1000 Member Posts: 21
    Try "Goof Off",it works great,it should be available in your local hardware store.

Hope this helps!!!
  • gfawkesnewgfawkesnew Member Posts: 4
    Varsol works great. Also good for removing black road tar spots from paint without harm to finish. Also can be used on carpet without damaging.
  • the_shadowthe_shadow Member Posts: 5
    I would like to remove the roof rack on my '01 EX and would like to know if anyone has had any experience doing the same and what did you use to cover/plug the mounting holes? Any suggestions.
  • tom3ktom3k Member Posts: 91
    I don't have one, but I looked at the installation instructions just to make sure I thought I could handle it if I ever changed my mind ('00 LX, BTW. Had 3 previous vehicles w/racks and never used any of them). There are several Honda-dealer operated parts sites where you can download factory installation instructions (of course, you would need to read them backwards!;-)). I'm not sure if the EX rails are exactly the same, but I would think it would work. The roof strips on the LX are solid from front to back, so they need to cut the necessary sections out for the rack and re-attach the pieces. You might be able to get new full-length replacement strips from the same sites that have the instructions.

Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.