Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Member Posts: 241
    Yes, the X-type was Jaguar's testbed for a number of new technologies for the company, including fiberoptic electronics. The common knowlege is that there are not aftermarket CD-players compatible with the X-type yet because of its new electrical system, but the Sony X-plode system, I've read, has a compatible hookup for the fiberoptic electricals in the X-type. The basic system costs around $200, and the high-end version with fold-away television screen goes for over $1000. I've not tested this out myself, but I've read reports that it works with the X-type.

Perhaps there is a way to use the hookup from the X-plode system with the BMW Alpine unit?

Also, if you can live with it, you can always get an X-type with the in-dash CD player for $200 (in the 2.5, it's standard on the 3.0 but you've probably alread discovered this and I'm just wasting your time - sorry).

Well, I hope this little bit of info could be of help to you somehow. In case you decide to go with it, the Alpine system in the X-type - though expensive - has been rated very highly and is well worth the money to the most dedicated of audiophiles. It adds a subwoofer and boosts the number of speakers in the car to 10 plus the extra "tweaters" (what one dealer called them) in the door handles. And don't forget to switch the radio to the European settings for best reception. Good luck with your CD-player hookup search.
  • eyemd1eyemd1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your prompt reply. I enjoy reading your posts and you are right, this is a gorgeous car. Also, my 2.5 manual is very reasonably priced. This is my plan: I will try to buy the car with the single CD player and later on try to see if it is possible to install the BMW Alpine. I drove the ebony/sand, looks great but no single CD so I have to look around. Unfortunately, there are not many 2.5 manuals out there. I have not seen the british racing green on the X-type, how does it look? There is a phoenix red manual in another dealer (that has the single CD) but that dealer is 150 miles away and do not really want to drive there just to look at the color. Is that a pretty color on this gorgeous car? What is your first and second choice among the four non-mettalic colors? Thanks again.
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    I have the '03, 2.5, automatic, single CD with the Jaguar Racing Green and sand interior. It looks fantastic and will make due until I can afford the XK coupe! At night under the street lights, it can appear to look blue or even black. During a bright day, it looks lighter then on a cloudy day. I really like how the color seems to change constantly. This color is wonderful.

Warning: do not wear a dark leather jacket when you sit in the car (sand interior) as it stains the leather seats. My dealer told me and I did not listen. Luckily, leather cleaner took it off..phew!

Eyemd1 - I drove an '02 pre-owned where the previous owner installed an Alpine changer in the trunk. The face plate did not fit well in the X-Type's dash. It looked UGLY and flew all over the place when making a turn!

I do have a little remorse that I did not get the 3.0 with the sport package, but am all-around very happy with this wonderful vehicle and the great service Jaguar is known for providing. People complain of the 2.5 engine noise. I just think of it as my cat purring! What noise is a Jaguar supposed to make?

Have a picture of an XK Coupe on the wall and trying to figure out how to save enough to purchase it in the next year :-)
    I called the Jaguar dealer in Southern California previously mentioned here and the racing green was not available. But they do have other manual 2.5 cars WITH single in-dash CD so I am buying this week. In terms of the "noise", I love it! There is no fun in my 3.0 Accord coupe...plain boring and is SO cheap inside with ALL plastics making a rattle just after 15,000 miles. Never again a Honda for me...thank you. I love the manula 2.5, much faster than the auto, I guess I missed driving my previous manual car, a 2.8 Z3. The 2.5 manual is a gorgeous car for a great price (just my opinion).
    Glad you found cars with your option choices. I think the car looks great in almost any color, and the shades seem to be able to give the car everythihg from a stealthy athletic look to a bright flashy one to a refined regal one. Color is all up to you, so get one that you really like on the car - they all look pretty good.

If you want to re-live the whole open-air driving experience, get a car with the sunroof and then open it and all the windows. It turns into a convertible (almost) with roll bars around the door frames! Lot's of fun on winding roads and sunny days.
  • care4tcare4t Member Posts: 8
    Just in case you might be struggling with locating reverse gear (like I have been for first couple of months....) In order to put the gear in reverse, you need to lift up the stainless ring underneath the knob & then place it in reverse.
    Glad you made your choice! Too bad they cannot find a Jaguar Racing Green? There are plenty available on the east coast. Can they deliver?

The sunroof is a must as jagboyxtype states. Settle for no less!

Please let us know when the "cat" is in your driveway and how you like it! Most of your neighbors will comment, trust me.
    Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. I will pick-up the car next few days. White/sand. This car looks great on the driveway but especially pretty on the road. At night, the X-type is among the most distinctive cars out there...just a gorgeous car.
    Oh that's exciting! I love the light patterns the car has, too. The jewel-effect lights are great.

Of course, the car's quite distinctive during the day as well :-) Great color BTW.
  • bull02bull02 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all
    I just bought a 2002 2.5 sport X-Type
    Black with everything BUT navagation system & Xenon headlights.
    I have to admit it looks GREAT!
    Also i'm pretty sure i'm the only one in my town that has one :)
    It's truly a head turner
    I really like it
    If anyone has any advice for me and my new jag please share it with me....thanks
  • kssodkssod Member Posts: 37
    The saga continues... my 02 3.0 sport adriatic/dove with every option(x1,x2,x3,alpine,manual,xenons) stickered for 43k+, except nav and phone just had the 20k service. here is a list of problems that have been addressed over the pasr 16 months
    1) paint not smooth at delivery...was wet sanded
    2)boot latch replaced
    3) cooling fan relay replaced after overheating
    4) defroster vents still pop out... replaced several times
    5) driver door unable to open...latch assembly replaced 2x
    6) steering wheel vibration when braking ....wheels balanced then rotors replaced
    7) fuel gauge reads empty after filling up. gas tank and sending unit replaced
    8) car over heats again... same repair as (3) with the addition of a new thermostat
    9) headlight washers popoff....reattached
    10)steering wheel still vibrates... tires rebalanced and road forced, problem unresolved front brakes replaced again. rotors susceptible to warping if lug nuts not torqued in proper order
    11) multiple interior rattles especially from sun roof button... repaired or replaced trim as needed
    12) I may have missed one or two items the list is too long. Unfortunately, the value has dropped too much and I can't trade for a like 03. Nothing else has any style. It is a great car to drive, and is awesome in the snow. Fortunately I have gone to a new dealer and the master tech is outstanding
    Ouch, looks like yours hit them all. I still haven't had any of the problems - glad your master tech is outstanding and hope everything continues to work out fine without anything else needing to be fixed.
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,495- 0081%255E13232,00.html

Just found the review above. It's an Australian review of a 2.1-liter X-type so all of the performance is off from the 2.5's and 3.0's that we have in the U.S. Although the car lacked in the performance area with the tiny engine, the 2.1 X-type still outscored competitors like the Lexus ES300, new Saab 9-3, and even its big-brother XK8. Needless to say, they liked it.
    seems like we have an eye for nice cars

kss od
    Along with developing a new XJ-Series car to replace the aging old one (though I still like it a lot), Jaguar also developed a new 3.5-liter engine which will be launched with the new XJ, which will also be available with the 3.0-liter AJ-V6 engine from the X-type and the bored-out 4.2-liter AJ-V8 in normal and supercharged forms.

Well, all of the early reports had stated that the X-type R would have a supercharged version of the new Jaguar 3.5-liter V6 engine, which until recently was thought of as myth. Yet, the 3.5 engine is now here.

Rumors are that the X-type's existing 3.0-liter engine will be replaced by the 3.5-liter or the engine will be added to the lineup, as well as to the S-type's and it's already in the new XJ's. With Nissan's 3.5 liter engine in its products including its Infiniti lineup, and the new Lexus IS being scheduled to have a V8 option, and with Volvo getting R-badged cars, and Audi with its new S4, and BMW with a newly tuned 3-Series sport, the 3.5 seems like a viable addition to the X-type lineup to keep the car in the top of the power ladder.

Any thoughts? I wonder what the horsepower ratings will be. I wouldn't be surprised to see the engine turn up in most all of Jaguar's products.
  • mjc440mjc440 Member Posts: 76
    A 3.5 Liter will certainly make Jag more competive. Is this a new block or is it derived from the Ford Duratec block?
    From all the information I have, all it says is that the engine is "new". I'm not sure how far the current AJ-V6 block can be bored out to; the AJ-V8's 4.2 liter size is about as large as that block can be bored out to, and the next larger engine than the 4.2 will have to be based on a larger block. Jaguar's re-engineered version of the Duratec block is one of the highest-output 3.0-liter-ish engines available, making 240 horsepower in the S-type and 231 in the X-type. By comparison, Mercedes' 3.2 liter engine makes 215 horsepower and BMW's 3.0 makes 225 hp. It's ahead of the European competition, but with the newer Japanese 3.5 liter engines making 260 hp, the extra half-liter seems to be where the market is moving. I believe Mercedes now has an ML350 out, which would indicate a new 3.5 liter engine, and BMW's next-generating 3 will have a 3.3 or 3.5 liter engine. I'm glad Jaguar is staying competitive - I love my car!
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Blew the doors off a 330i today; he and I had a lot of fun weaving in and out of traffic about 35 mph more than we should have been going. A Maxima joined in, and was surprisingly faster than I estimated he would be, though he seemed to be working a little harder than Bimmer and me. All of these cars are awesome at speed and truly a lot of fun. Also, I happened to get shunted off onto the freeway during this little competition of ours (with the other cars) and ended up in some strange neighboring area. People in the other cars in traffic literally pressed their faces against the glass of their cars to look at the X, as if it was something special ;-) I love this car!
  • crashxcrashx Member Posts: 2
    I purchased the x-type in dec 2002 (my 1st jag). I crashed and totaled 1st jag in feb 2003. Fortunately my insurance paid off my outstanding load balance with $300. back to me? I am jumping back onto the horse as I am preparing to order another x-type. My Question: Does Jag offer previous buyers any incentives or discounts on subsequent jag purchases? Thanks in advance for any insight. crashx
    Ouch! Sorry to hear about the crash and hope you're okay.

While I don't know of any incentives that Jaguar has for repeat buyers, the people at Jagtalk or xk8.net might.

Also, your dealer will probably knock the price down since you'd be buying another car from them. My dealer took the price down on my X-type since we had purchased an S-type just 1.5 - 2 years earlier.

So, are you going to get a "twin" of the original Jag, or will you go for a different color, etc?
  • crashxcrashx Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your quick response. I do want to replace my crashed jag with a "twin" (I never enjoyed driving a car so much) but my original dealer does not have the car in stock with all of the options of my original.

I had the 2.5 x-type Quartz with navigational system plus many other upgrades. It seems jag does not stock many with nav. especially with my specific request (color/options). I was lucky to find the one I wanted. The dealership (north jersey, 2.5 hours from home) was the only one that had that specific car in stock.

I am prepared to wait if I have to order the car. My business has me on the roads often, and the jag nav. system was amazing. It has never steered me wrong in the confusing street of Phila, New York or DC, which is saying alot!

Thanks again and I will check with Jagtalk and xk8.net. BTW, I faired much better than the car. crashx
    >Ouch! Sorry to hear about the crash and hope you're okay.

>I faired much better than the car.

>Good! I'm very glad and happy to hear it.

I know you've probably already asked your dealer, but I'll just say this in case it slipped by:

Before ordering - if you don't want to wait - have your dealer phone other dealers to see if they have a "twin" of your last Jag. Jaguar has a vast network for tracking all of its cars - even used cars are tracked by Jaguar. If a dealer near enough has the combo you want, they can trade your dealer for it and then deliver it for you.

If this helps, I'm glad it did. If it didn't, sorry to waste your time. Good luck!

Cheers,
    Jagboy

P.S. - Since your new X-type will be a 2003, it will probably come with some really nice options your last one didn't have too!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    They can do a search via DCS.. I'm sure a Quartz 2.5 with Navi is out there somewhere.

Glad to hear you are OK tho! Jag has done $1,000 owner loyalty credits in the past.. I'd call 1-800-4-JAGUAR and see if they know.

Bill
  • pluskinpluskin Member Posts: 79
    Its a V8, not a V6. I'm pretty sure its the same engine family as the 4.0/4.2, but could verify that if anyone cares. The new 3.5 develops 262bhp & 254lbft(DIN)and replaces the 3.2L V8 that was available in the X300 in europe.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a V8 powered X-type in the near future.
  • jagforeverjagforever Member Posts: 2
    Perhaps someone will be good enough to give me some advice. Just get an 03 2.5X, and love it.
    Financial considerations prevented me from getting one with a CD, but would like to know how I can get an aftermarket unit. Can anyone suggest a good unit I can get installed?
    Thanks,
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    You can use any aftermarket cd changer that is FM modulated - it just broadcasts the CD signal on a FM radio frequency. Sound quality will be the same as a really good FM station. If you want better you'll have to get the factory changer (the cables are usually vehicle specific). www.radiosandmore.com sells domestic OEM radios at a decent price but I don't see any jag equipment. Have you priced one at the dealer? Sometimes the dealer prices aren't too bad. Or maybe one of the Jag owners can give you an aftermarket source for OEM changers. You won't be able to just plug in an aftermarket changer even if it's the same manufacturer because of the cabling.
    That's a good and common question. The only unit I know of that I have *read* works with the advanced fiberoptic electrical system of the X-type is the Sony X-plode series of CD changers and players. They have a compatible linkup with the system, or so I've read.

And make sure you set your radio settings to "Europe" for better reception - it activates the FM boost for the car and clears up the radio.

Cheers,
    Jagboy

P.S. - Jaguar also has an indash CD player that costs around $200.
  • rstoergerrstoerger Member Posts: 17
    I have had my S-type for nearly three years and honestly love it. Never had any major issues. I am about to end this lease and have been considering getting into a brand new one...which has some excellent improvements.

While the past two winters have been mild, this year's has not. My car does not do well at all in even the mildest slush. As such, I am reconsidering getting into a new one lest the upcoming winters be bad.

Has anyone had either positive or negative issues regarding S-Types in Snow. How about the four-wheel drive X-Type?
  • care4tcare4t Member Posts: 8
    Rstoerger-

I live in Northern Va and we have had a series of major snows this winter. And, having owned 991/2 A4 with Quattro system prior to acquiring X-type, I was able to compare the handlings of two in snowy conditions. Although I am quite satisfied with the drivability of X-Type in snow and would recommend to people who are looking for AWD, my honest assessment compared to A4 is that A4 offered a more stable AWD mechanism than X-type. However, I am very impressed with the DSC (Digital Stability Control?) feature. It literally prevented the car from wobbling side to side a number of times.

This is strictly based on my personal experience only.
    I just bought a Black 02 Xtype and i am thinking about taking the car to have the car buffed.
    Anyone have any insite or advise?
    The place i talked to said it would make the car finish like new.
    BTW there isnt many scratch only a few swirl marks

Any advise?
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    jeffc1 "Black Paint Maintenance" Feb 10, 2002 3:00pm!make=CATS&model=Paint&ed_makeindex=.ef094ab

Clicking the above link will take you to the black paint discussion which is read only now. Some interesting stuff though.
    Why not just buy a hand-held navigation system online or from a store? That way, you can transfer it between vehicles. Mine works very well technically. Put it up against my friend's X-Type (we all got the same cars with different options) and it is equally as good!

Granted, it is not as easy to use, but may be an option for those that cannot find the X-Type with a Navi system.

Jaguar does have a customer loyalty program for those asking. From the moment you buy or lease a vehicle from Jaguar, you are automatically enrolled in the program. There are hidden incentives if you ask your dealer.

Does anyone else feel a hesitation when driving from 10 mph to 20 mph with the automatic 2.5? Once past the 20 mph mark, the hesitation is gone. Is this common for the X-Type?
  • geecheewheelsgeecheewheels Member Posts: 18
    Intermittently during normal driving, when I release the brake pedal I get the "click" in the gear shift that you get when you release from park. It does not always happen. When I took it to service, they said it was normal; if it ALWAYS happened I may agree but it doesn't. Has anyone else had this noise?
    msiseng-

My 3.0 auto used to have a little bit of a hesitation from the start, but by my first free scheduled service, my dealer's tune-up of the car eliminated the hesitation. I'm not sure what they did, but when I got the car back, it was very much smoother than it had ever been, and it launches just as quickly, but with more refinement - less of a lurch. Perhaps this will happen at your next service? You could also ask your tech about it, because your car does not have to hesitate.

geecheewheels-

The click is caused by something happening with the selenoid (?) (that's what I've read it being called, I hope I spelled it correctly) in the transmission. The exact same thing happened to my car, but I mentioned it to my dealer at the first service, and they took care of it - no more click! Don't take that BS from your dealer about it being "normal" because it isn't supposed to do that and it can be fixed very easily - my dealer did it for me, yours can for you!
    Recently, some other Jaguar owners have spotted X-type Sport models with natural wood colors and the chrome blades that the luxury versions of the car have. So now with Sport X-types, you have your choice of R-type grey-stained wood and body color or black accents, or natural wood and chrome accents. More choices is always better.
    Can anyone tell me how to change disks with the cd changer?
    I loaded 6 cd's into the cartridge but i cant figure out how to change from 1 disk to another.
    I'm still waiting for my owners manual so i thought i would ask here.

thanks
    Bull02
    while cd is playing numbers 1-6 on the phone pad load the CD in their respective tray.
    Also the select button on the steering wheel audio control can switch between AM/FM/ CD, once in cd the toggle for stations now controls the track on the CD. If you hold the toggle in for several seconds it will load the next CD either up or down.
    kssod
    thanks for the info
    i have had my jag x for over a month and i still dont have the owners manual.
    i have talked to my dealer a few times telling them i still dont have the owners manual

thanks
  • jonty12jonty12 Member Posts: 101
    if you register on http://www.myjaguar.com you have access to a pdf version of the owners manual, as well as almost all other documentation.
  • jagforeverjagforever Member Posts: 2
    From my last entry I have had a little advice on how to get a CD changer for my 03 X Type, that came without. Here is what I have learned. The local dealer will install a "factory" unit for only $1300! Some say that the Sony E-plod is compatable, but my email to them returned a negative answer. Also, they seem to be affiliated strongly with Crutchfield, who tells me that none of their units is compatable with my car. Still looking for ideas. Thanks.
    According to this site, which is updated frequently:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 23253.htm

the X-type is to get an R-badged version in 2004 as a 2005 model, along with a new 3.2 liter engine added to the range.

"Jaguar is plowing ahead with an X-Type wagon and hot R-models. The wagon reportedly bows overseas in spring 2004. U.S. sales should begin very soon afterwards, probably with the same V6 powerteams offered in sedans. Like the BMW 3-Series and Mercedes C-Class wagons, the X-Type emphasizes luxury and sporty handling over outright space and utility. Structure is reportedly the same as the sedan's from the rear doors forward, but the roofline tapers down to a trim liftgate with separate opening window.

The X-Type R should be here by early 2005, assuming it's not delayed for some reason [(think XJ8)]. A sedan is assured, a wagon version possible. Chief attractions are a supercharged V6 with upwards of 330 hp, plus firmed-up suspension, less exterior chrome, a mesh grille, and standard 19-inch wheels and tires, but no garish rear spoiler or "aero" body skirts. British guesstimates have the R-model sedan doing 0-60 in just 5 sec and 160 mph all-out...

...A final X-Type rumor concerns the current 3.0-liter V6, which reportedly gives way to a more potent 3.2 sometime soon, perhaps as early as model-year '04. We'll keep you posted."

Another Jag-talker found this information, so credit goes to him. The article is supposed to be from 3/12/2003.

In other news, there's a little motorsports/car-tuner shop in my town that fixes up and sells high-performance luxury cars; the X-type has become the "halo car" of the place, with a few very nice tuned-up Sport models around on display. They don't do exterior mods, just performance ones to the drivetrains. I'll check the place out a little more... fun stuff.
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    An R wagon? There's an interesting car.
    Yeah, I have pics of it that I could post a link to. It has a different front bumper (as well as the R saloon), and the one in the photo has a huge roll bar inside since it was a performance test mule. Not bad looking for an estate, but it's a Jaguar, so it's just naturally good looking I guess.

;-)
    100 Photos of my car!

http://community.webshots.com/user/jagboyxtype

Example:
    Go here:

http://www.limodigest.com/html/monthlycontent/march2002/hall_of_f- - ame.htm

to see the pic and read a short writeup. There is also contact information if you wish to know more. "The 'X' is the hottest car I have right now" states the owner of the limousine company. "It seems to be replacing my Rolls and Benz stretches for sheer popularity," he concludes. Quite a nice car!

And don't forget to go here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/jagboyxtype
  • mikesurfmikesurf Member Posts: 4
    I thought the day of stuffy dealerships was over.
    I've never felt so young as in shopping for an
    X Type....I was browsing the cars for maybe 30
    minutes before guy finally came out and he was
    rather rude...I must not look like the usual
    medicare type Jaguar buyer with my tattoos but he
    obviously thought I was not suitable buyer. Funny
    since shopping for SUV's I get service & pressure
    to buy now and they are priced like the Xtype.
       Suggest Jag dealers need to realize that $33K
    cars these days are pretty commonplace and even
    surfer types w/shaved heads and tatz have 757Fica
    scores....all in all, pretty funny, so now I'm
    shopping Jaguar online (if only I'd brought my
    longtime companion along with HER tattoos...and
    she's the one who would be principal driver!)
  • geecheewheelsgeecheewheels Member Posts: 18
    Though I have an '03 X-Type, I wanted to use the Edmunds comparison page to see how it "stacks up" among the pack. I spotted several incorrect specs. that I forwarded to Edmunds. I was promptly contacted and was given assurance that my points would be verified. Anyone else with a keen eye may want to give the specs. a once over as well. After all, prospective buyers may base their decision on these specs. Here's my list:

Reading Lights
    Ext. Temp.
    Low Fuel Ind.
    Rear Fog Lights
    9 Speaker Alpine Syst.
    JagNet
  • toofragustoofragus Member Posts: 20
    I ordered a 2.5 manual with premium sound and X1 package. My salesman said that it would come with a cassette in the dash and 6CD in the trunk. The manager said he was not sure since they never had a 2.5 manual with premium sound before. He said it might have a single CD in the dash and 6CD's in the trunk. Does anyone know for certain. I would rather have the cassette for more variety but it's not a big deal either way. Just curious.

JAG
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I'm not surprised the dealer has not seen one as a 2.5 manual is their price leader and they would not normally order premium sound. My car has premium sound and the cassette with the 6 CD changer in the trunk. It is a 3.0 though. You might try cally Jaguar North America at:
    1-800-4-Jaguar to see if they can help.
    The cassette player should be present in your car if you didn't opt for the in-dash CD player as a stand-alone option. On a 3.0L (2003 MY), the in-dash CD is standard, on the 2.5L it is optional. With the Premium Sound System, you'll have a 6-CD changer in the boot and a cassette player in-dash (if you did not also order in-dash CD player); sounds like a nice setup with both CD's and cassette. Dealer probably has not seen 2.5 with Premium Sound System because most people opt for the single CD in-dash unit and moon/sunroof with folding seats. Enjoy the car.

Jagboyx
  • toofragustoofragus Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the info. I believe it should be a cassette as well since that is what's standard on the 2.5. manual. (When you add the automatic on the 2.5, they put in a CD player instead of the cassette. Don't ask me how the two go together.)My initials are JAG and I've wanted a Jaguar since I was a little tyke. I'm very excited. I tested the 2.5 automatic but found it sluggish. I recommend the larger engine if you don't want a stick shift. My car should take about 10 weeks so I hope to have it in time to take a long trip for the fourth of July holiday. I'll keep you posted.
    P.S. Toofragus is sugarfoot spelled backwards. Somebody already has my old frat nickname so I had to reverse it. Just in case you were wondering.