Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Anyone here have links to some larger and higher quality digital photos of the interior than you can get from the Jaguar website and most online reviews of the X-type?
    It can be of you own personal X-Type or not.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I suggest you go to http://www.ebaymotors.com They have many shots of the interior on different cars. The first listing for instance. You can blow the thumbnails up to larger size by clicking on them.
  • magictimmagictim Member Posts: 7
    I need some opinions, advice and help in deciding which car to buy. Here is my story. I'm 42 years old, male and I've decided it is time to buy a really nice car. I have always been very practical when it comes to cars (Toyotas and Fords). I keep my cars for eight or more years. Right now for my business and personal use I drive a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan.

My wife drives a 2001 Lexus ES. It is a wonderful car.

I decided that 2004 is the time for me to get a nice car so I saved up $35k. Here's my dilemma.

All my life I always wanted a Jaguar. I love the styling of the 2004 Jaguar X-type 3.0. I have rented Jaguars in the past and I must say you definitely get the VIP treatment when you pull up in a Jaguar. I like the X-Type because it is unique. You don't see too many on the road.
    I was all set to buy a 2004 X-Type 3.0 and BAM, along comes the Acura 2004 TL.

I have never been a fan of the styling of the Acura in the past but the 2004 model is fairly sporty (It looks like a BMW 5 Series).

I want a manual transmission with the navigation system. The technology and features on the 2004 Acura TL blew me away. The Acura TL will probably come in around $34,000, the Jaguar X-Type 3.0 will probably come in around $38,000 but I think you could probably get a deal for around $35,000 because of low demand. The Jaguar with a 5 speed manual transmission is not easy to come by.

Here's what I love about the Jaguar: Styling, AWD, the prestige, folding real seats, hood ornament and leather and wood interior. Here are my concerns about the Jaguar: price, build quality, reliability, and availability of parts.

Here is what I like about the Acura TL: the price, the features, the technology, the horsepower, 6 speed manual transmission, the many standard features. My concerns are as follows: Looks and I’m not sure you will get the same VIP treatment with the Acura as with the Jaguar.

Edmunds really likes the Acura TL and is lukewarm about the Jaguar X-Type. I think the looks of the TL are pretty good but the Jaguar looks really unique. The Jaguar makes my heart beat skip (Pure emotional appeal) but I want a car that is sporty, fun to drive, super reliable, super safe, practical, luxurious and reasonably priced. I know that I'm asking for a lot but for me $35K is a lot of money, so I want to make the best decision possible. My wife’s Lexus ES is the perfect car, it is not very sporty but it really excels in every other area. The build quality of her car is outstanding.

I don’t want to spend more than $34,500 for my dream car (With sales taxes and other expenses added to this 35K number, I'm well into the high 30's, my goal was to stay in the low 30's). Please help me by sharing your thoughts and opinions on the two cars that I mentioned above. What car would you buy and why? What are your thoughts about Jaguar and Acura?
    When should I buy my car to get the best deal?
    Thanks.
    I don't know much about the TL as I have never been that interested in the car line. Like you, I have always thought the styling was Pfffft. Apparently so do most other folks as the sales have not been terrific although the car gets good overall ratings. I have heard on another board that do to supposed demand for this car there will be little discounting at first.

I think you have answered your own question with your likes of the Jaguar. It is an emotional thing as well as pragmatic. There is just something about a Jaguar........ There is no comparison of course between the front wheel drive and rear or AWD. I have an early build 10/01 XType 3.0 and couldn't be happier. It has been dead reliable and my wife absolutely adores the car. I assume you posted the same question on the Acura board so that should help. Also, your profile doesn't say where you live. If you get snow, the AWD is awesome.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    I'm thinking about getting an 04 X type 3.0 and I had a question. I was looking on edmunds board where you can build your own car, is it true that the alpine system is 320 watts ? my second question is, is how is just the standard stareo, does it sound good, At the end of this month I'm going to either be purchasing a X type or the G sedan, but I'm just wondering about the X types radio... I need a cd player but I'm wondering if the sound is that much better to justify getting the upgraded system. its comming down to teh deadline, but I'm getting excited about getting either one of these cars thankx
    You can build your car officially at the Jag website http://www.jaguarusa.com It has the build your own tab. The 320 watt system is new for 2004 so I doubt anyone has heard it here. I would go to a dealer and compare it to the standard system. I have the upgraded Alpine system that was offered in the '02 model with the 6 disc CD changer. I like it very much.
    ok refraze it.... just use the 03 model and compare between those two options
    well its been a long strugle, but its offically over, this weekend I've made my decision. as much as I like the X, I drove the 5 series this past weekend and feel in love with everything about it, everything felt perfect, and come to think of it I can't think of a thing I don't like about the car. next weekend my father and I are going to look for a dealor and haggle prices on a 04 525 with an auto. thank you for all your help though and we appriciate.
    The TMV price shown by Edmunds for the 525i is $46000 with common options such as prem. sound, auto, and prem. package. They don't do much "haggling" at BMW dealers either. And this is for a 2.5 engine!
    That is at least $10,000 more than the Jaguar 3.0. You have been comparing the wrong car if you can go this price. You should have been looking at the SType Jaguar; price wise and rear drive only wise.
    I understand this, I've looked at both and I don't know why, but the lease prices come out nearly the same; the 5 comes out to be roughly 30 dollars more a month than the other cars I've looked at leasing. I'm also not looking at the 46K model, I'm only getting the auto added to it, which brings it to roughly 40 list price, but my fathers already talked to them, and so far they've been really great. he started argueing prices, and its gone rather well, they haven't given us that speech of "this is a new model and its selling fine we don't need to discount it.. " so on and so forth. I'm optimistic that my father can get the lease prices to match the ones we've argued out, he's extreamly good at getting his way when it comes to this.
  • toofragustoofragus Member Posts: 20
    Are you getting AWD with your BMW 5 Series? If you live in an area that has harsh winters, you may want an AWD car.

Outside of that, if you can get a 5 series for the same price as the X-Type and you're happy with the look of the Beemer, go for it.

JAG
    no... so far as I know the 5 as of yet doesn't come in the AWD yet; which I wouldn't get anyways.
    I think I get it now. You would not want an X-Type if you have no interest in AWD. You would be paying for AWD since it is standard.

Have you driven an AWD car before? It will give you a much better feel of the road and will be more stable in heavy rain and bad winter weather.
    I don't mean to try persuade you. I feel that you would not have come to this board if you didn't have an interest in the X-Type. I've never driven a BMW so I cannot compare the two. I can only tell you that I'm very pleased with my 3.0 manual.
     IMHO BMW's are dull looking and there's so many on the road that they are no longer distinctive.

I have the premium sound from 2002. 10 speakers, 180 watts. It sounds great and seems to fill up the car since the car is not very big. The new sound system must really be spectactular.
    JAG
  • purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    I used to have a Subaru.. most confidence I have ever had driving a car in inclement weather.. Scary actually... an quto bimmer? yuck... If you r going to get that car, please get a stick if u can..
    I don't know... the D series is nice, but I'm affraid that this month the so called specal lease rate, appearently the interest rates changed this month and the payment for a 5 seies shot up drastically by like 170$. if this holds true and I can't afford to get into the 5 then I believe that I will seriously debate between the X type and the G. I like them both nearly equally. the G has the power which I love, but the X has like you said the handleing and feal of the road thing. (I also like that its AWD standard) I like the 5 but I know that its really streatching the my limits so I 'm thinking that I may want to regardless of how I like the 5 , I may wish to get the X or the G and be able to live a bit easier. thanks for the help... oh yeah I was thinking about getting an stick, I'm 20 but I'm worried about stick in the winter, I live were it can get pretty hairy on some occarsions. ya'll said you had a stick on your 3.0 X, how do you like it.
  • mjc440mjc440 Member Posts: 76
    Just curious - How quick was the 5 Series with the 2.5 auto compared to the Jag X 3.0 auto (assuming you tested the Jag)? There's about a 40 hp difference between the two.

It looks like you're still on your search. My advice is to take your time and get the car you want. I'd also recommend being carefull not to over spend on a car. Be sure to take into considerantion the insurance, maintenance, etc. on your car. Insurance for a male under 25 is usually high to begin with; a $40K BMW isn't going to help. You don't want to work just for your car.

Anyways, good luck with your search. Let us know how you make out.
    yeah... actually the 525 with the way its tuned feals to excelerate a little faster than the X.. i've driven both... now the G out excells them both by a long shot ... but its interior isn't as good, but it shur can drive though... so if I can't work out the 5 deal then I'm gonna choose between the G and the X... they where my original 2 choices till I looked @ the 5. we're going to go and get prices and argue about everything this weekend... and if things don't do well...then I still love both the G and the X so it'll be one of them... I'm thinking about looking into the G 35 AWD and see if that drives a bit better... (live in a snowy area)
    I don't know what you mean when you say you're "worried about a stick in the winter". Once you get the hang of it, a stick will give you as many or more options to get out of a ditch or dangerous situation than an automatic. Of course, before you spend that kind of money, try to do some extensive stick driving to see if it's for you.

Like I said, I haven't driven the other cars but I can tell you that the 3.0 X-Type has a great deal of peppiness (is that a word?) and will merge on a busy highway with ease.

Good luck with your choice.

JAG
  • seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    thought i would chime in as my wife and i are looking at the X type, and having had Silverado's for the past 4 years and have felt that they were pretty safe until yesterday..............took the drive in a 2.5 Xtype on a windy road north of town on a rainy day............couldn't believe it!!!
    this car is something else.........i felt so good in the car that i literally hated getting back into the Silverado.
    the dealer couldn't have been any nicer as well.........we selected what we feel we'd like (color and options) and they are going to bring one in so that we can decide if it is what we want..........no obligation to buy it, just make sure that it's what we want, or maybe upgrade even further.
    problem now is whether or not to go for the 3.0 package............any suggestions?

BTW, we were at one time interested in Beemers as well, but no AWD?.........forget it.
    seelig: I would upgrade to the 3.0 and not just because I have one. With the intro of the '04 model, they have dropped the price considerably since I bought my '02. It used to be 6-7K more than the 2.5 but now is more like 2-3K. I believe some options on the 2.5 are standard on the 3.0 as well but I have not been shopping for a new Jaguar for a while, just what I see posted. My wife loves our XType so it is hard for me to get seat time!
    can i assume that all the bugs have been worked out?
    i have been reading through this thread have have seen some complaints about auto transmission failures...........my real estate agent has a '02 that has had the transmission and driveline replaced due to failure.
    Most buyers of '03 or '04 models have not had any of the problems of the first year cars. That said, I have an early build 10/01 car and have had no problems. Remember reading these boards that people with complaints are prone to post and make up the largest share of posters. This is true for any make. Happy campers seldom post.
  • jonty12jonty12 Member Posts: 101
    in the 04 3.0 they dropped the price $3K and included $2.5K worth of options -- the difference is really closer to $500 between the 3.0 and the 2.5.

you said you were interested in a bimmer. but lost interest because of awd. bmw offers awd in the 330 (330 xi) as well as the 325 (325 xi) - you might want to look into it. personally, i'd get the x (especially now with the price drop on the 3.0), but so you don't wonder "what if" a visit to the local bmw shop might be in order.

comparably equipped, an 04 x-type 3.0 is now about $5K-$7K less than an 04 330 xi.
    Both BMW AND Mercedes offer AWD. The C class is available in AWD.
    I like the looks of the X-type, but the nearest Jaguar dealer is about an hour drive in morning or evening traffic.
    I would take a chance on reliability if I could get warranty service near home or work. Right now, it would be a huge hassle to get warranty repairs done.
    I heard they are thinking about combining Jaguar and Range Rover dealerships.
    There is a RR dealer a more resonable distance from work, so I might take the gamble if that plan ever comes to life and I could get maintenance and warranty work done there.
    actually it is more so that the look of the car is what attracted me to the X..............i didn't know that beemers now had AWD, but i'd still choose the Jag.
    it'll be about a month before we make the purchase as we are closing escrow on our new home, then the car............we've decided on the 3.0...........thanks to you all and i'll do a followup when i bring it home........;-))
    I bought my XType in the Los Angeles area where there are many, many dealers. I have since moved to the Midwest where the closest dealer is about 90 miles from me. If I had known about this situation before I purchased the Jaguar, I would have looked for another brand. The same dealer that is 90 miles away is the closest Lexus dealer. The way this dealer sells cars in my area is to offer free pickup with a loaner left for your use for any service on a car purchased from them. They have several employees who do nothing but drive out to owners homes and drive their cars back for service. Cars that cannot be driven are flat- bedded to the dealer. I don't qualify since I didn't purchase the car from this dealer but they treat me well and have supplied free Jag. loaners in the past.
    well this is the last week for me to teader between cars, next weekend my father and I are going to sit down and purchase a car. I like that the G has so much power (and that its shiftable) plus theres the release of the new 04 with the AWD option but I don't think I'd take it since its a 1800 option and puts it higher than the X... now the X I love its exterior look, the fact that its a jag, AWD, but I sortta mis maving the kick the G has plus the shiftable part as well... I don't drive stick so its as close to it I can come . I'm sortta leaning towards the X, but I can't decide if I want the G because its sportier.. I'm officially lost on what to do now.
    carefully considering this option as i do love my music during travel, but i'd sure like to hear from those who have it and whether or not it's worth it.
    obviously the head unit is the same, but is the standard system capable of owner upgrades?
    be very sure you like the standard system if you buy the car with it -- very difficult to upgrade. the fibre optic system makes it almost impossible to use after market products while still controlling the system through the head unit and steering wheel controls. you can upgrade speakers, but that's about it. you can't even add a changer in the trunk, other than the "jaguar" version.
    that's what i'm thinking, and i don't really want to tear into the car later.
    what i need to find out is if it's worth paying the extra for the upgraded system...........
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    From past postings you know I have both the Jag X and the Infiniti G35. Stay far away from Infiniti. The G35 brake issue and lack of decent service alone is enough to scare people.

No question the Jag is far superior in every facet EXCEPT engine power. The Infiniti G35 is screaming fast (and currently has an engine recall) and a Jag is a Jag. The AWD got us through last winter's North Eastern blizzard with flying colors. The gas mileage is also superior to that of the G35.

I have nothing to say but good things about the Jag and the fine service provided.
    I know ... its comming down to the wire now and I really can't decide which I like more. I like how quite the X rides and your right with AWD it handles like a dream... i test drove it on a rainy day and it was great not to just sit and spin the tires when your trying to start from a light... I also drove the G that same day in the rain... I like the front end of this car, and I'm not to fond of the rear. as for the interior I find it to be ok, but when compared to the acuras its seriously lacking, something about the X's interior also doestn't look nice, the radio buttons and that center dash area looks almost fordish to me... but the seats and everything else are great. I loved the Gs power, unfortunatly it does have the ability to spin its tires severly if you punch on a rainy day like i did, yet if you drive normally the systems seem to kick in and work just fine... I recently looked at the new acura tl and love the interior fit and finish, as for everything else ... naa... it didn't strick my fancy, for one its front wheel drive and with 270hp it doestn't feal nearly as strong as the G, I'd even go so far as to say it feels a bit less than the X off the line, and as for ride, well I didn't like it, you could here and feal every bump in the road, you can also here other motorists, you don't notice this as much in the X, and a little more than the G, but deffinatly the X is the quitist of the bunch... its a toss up now between the X and the G, I'm going with my father and ask for his opinion on the two and see what he thinks... (though in his mind he wants me to get a C MB which I'm relucktannt to go and do )
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    "...the radio buttons and that center dash area looks almost fordish to me... "

I thought the X was a rebadged Ford, some model sold in Europe (Mondeo?)? Anybody know how different the X is from the Ford version?
    with a name like carguy you should know better.

the x-type doesn't share a single -- not 1 -- visible part with the mondeo. it shares 6 hardpoints on the chassis, that's it! in total (including things like water pumps, screws, etc) it shares less than 20% of parts with the mondeo. The Lexus RX shares more than 60% with the camry!

audis are far more similar to vw's and the new chrysler crossfire is far more similar to a c-class MB than the x is to the mondeo.

as for the buttons looking "fordish" i understand this is subjective, but based on facts alone, not a single ford has the same buttons. the only cars that have the buttons are other jags and astons.
  • jland76jland76 Member Posts: 2
    in regards to the question does if the x type shares parts with Ford, why is it that in the car reviews they don't say what specific parts are really ford parts. Its interesting that you mention that xtype shares only 6 hard points. these people who do the reviews can mislead future buyers. i am in the market for getting the 2004 x.-type , but all the reviews i have read are giving me doubts. i would appreciate any advise from current owners?thanks
    and in some cases, completely fictitous (as in when they say the x-type is based on the contour - not a single shared anything there). they never seem to bring it up in relation to lexus, audi, acura, etc. i guess there's a different standard for jag. in terms of x-type, they share parts that would make no sense redeveloping (i.e., fuel pump, water lines, etc) as well as the aforementioned hard parts. the mondeo chassis was the base for the x-type. it was then dramatically modified by jaguar in both size and strength to the point of sharing only 6 hard points. the s-type is far more closely related to the lincoln ls than the x is to the mondeo.
    Ok, I love my X-Type. I also was told the 2.5 L engine made in Cleveland Ohio is the SAME engine used in the Coutour? Isn't the S-Type 3.0 L engine the same as the Lincoln 3.0 L? Can anyone confirm or deny?
    anybody here go for this option?
    current offer from one dealer is to give me the 2004 X-tpye with 3.0 for $32,050.00...........ifeel this is fair, but maybe i should hold out???
  • jgkiijgkii Member Posts: 9
    That's just more fiction from those who get off on bashing the X-Type. Both the 2.5 and the 3.0 engines are unique to Jaguar. The block began life as a Ford Durotech, but Jaguar reworks the block, installs it's own heads, valve train, exhaust system, ecu, intake and so on. To claim that these engines are found in a Contour is pure fiction.
    Thanks for the reply. I thought this was the case.

Seelig - that sounds like the price many of us paid (or leased) for the 2.5L in early '03. Does it include many options? If so, then go for it!
  • nekrosnekros Member Posts: 1
    I just grabbed an x at a steal in spite of 43,200 miles on her. with less than 7k left on the warranty, should I purchase an additional warranty insurance- 4yr/100k @ $2,450.00? does that seem reasonable or does anyone know of a better price for extended coverage? Also, the car is equipped with phone features minus the phone. Does anyone have info on acquiring one?
    That price sounds excessive. If you got the car at a wonderful price, then this may give you peace of mind.

Is your car an '02 or an '03? The '02 had many more problems, so I would get the warranty. If it is an '03, consider purchasing a warranty from a third-party.

Also, are there good Jaguar mechanics in your area?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Also, be sure to check out the discussions on our Finance, Warranty & Insurance board.
  • jland76jland76 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Jag fans, anyone out there who has purchased a X-type 3.0 2004 have any comments on their cars. Is their noticeable improvements from the older models? I am planning on buying one at the end of the year. I would appreciate any comments. Thank you
  • mjp14mjp14 Member Posts: 1
    My lease is up and I must make a decision very soon. I have had 3 Lexus es autos and have never had a problem- it has been a very dependable car BUT the color selection is so limited and I think I would like a change. I am hooked on the navigation system and am willing to pay the difference and the lease payment for the Lexus and the Jag are the same... does anyone have a suggestion or any knowledge of the navigation systems in these cars.
    I think you have been thoroughly spoiled by the great service of your Lexus dealer. You probably won't get that with the Jaguar dealer. I don't know where you live but I love the all wheel drive of the XType and it is great in the snow. Have you checked out the Lexus RX330? It has been redesigned and has gotton very good reviews. It would also have AWD.
    sat down with my father the other day and took him to go look at an 04 X type 3.0 he thinks its ok, not enough power though... but for me I think its just fine... he just likes a car that can scream up to 100 by the time you get to the end of the on ramp.... I don't think I need that ... as for the jag it suites me fine... he didn't like it in the fact that he doestn't fit comfortably into the car... he's 6'4 and I'm 5'6 so theres a bit of diff... then again its my car so it doesn't matter
    we also went and looked @ a G35 AWD, but I'm leary of that car since I know that they won't be comming down in prices, yet the regular ones they are willing to deal a bit... as for my father he doesn't like any of them he still likes the MB 230 Kompressor sedan out of them.... but its the smaller than them so I have to talk to him... he also likes the new E class and if he wants to pay the difference and let me get into an E MB well then I'm all for it...
    tell your father to play with the seat settings. i have a friend a little over 6'4" and about 250lbs. he loves the x-type, and fits in it perfectly. in comparison, he'd have to wear goggles to drive an xk8 convertible because his head's above the windshield.