Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    I extended the factory warranty on my 06 when I bought it to 84 months - 100K miles. It carries a $50 deductable after the initial warrany runs out. Cost me about $2700 with sales tax. The dealer laid out all the available warranty extension options Jag offered with the prices, and, I picked the one I wanted.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • eurotrash1168eurotrash1168 Member Posts: 5
    The factory warranty is: 4yr/50,0000 mi. That covers all maintenance including free oil changes just like BMW's.
    Who told you 3 yrs ????
    I exclusively deal with Jaguar-Land Rover of Hanover Mass. They are top notch in my book. I have 02 X Type.
  • docwrightdocwright Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info. I did contact several Jag dealers, most did not return my call. I did, however contact a Jag dealer in Hanover, Ma who quoted me a 3 year 84/100 for $4259. with a $100 deductible.
    Doc:

Try getting on the internet and contacting Bergen Jaguar in (I think) New Jersey. I believe they sell the Jag factory warranty packages at a discount. You also might get a quote from the 2 aftermarket warranty companies reccomended on the Edmonds site. I strongly considered them when I was shopping for an extended warranty package for my 03 Jag.
  • docwrightdocwright Member Posts: 4
    Bergen Jaguar... :) had the lowest prices and is willing to waive the cost of the pre-inspection because I don't live in NJ. Thank for the recommendation
    You're welcome - glad things worked out for you.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • iacobucciiacobucci Member Posts: 4
    I was told by a Jag dealer that remote starts are not recommended to be installed in the x-type because of problems with electrical systems and starters. Has anyone heard of such problems before I have the installation done.
    I have a 2002 X-Type 3.0
  • jag05jag05 Member Posts: 1
    Hello oldcem
    Iam buying and 05 x-type 3.0 with 11.5 k miles. how should i transfer the balance warranty if any?
    please advise!

thanks in advance
    :confuse:
    If you're buying it through a Jag dealer, they should handle the warranty transfer for you. In addition, I believe the 10K interval service on the 05 models was done free by the dealers during the warranty period as well. If you're not buying through a Jag dealer, then find the closest one to you and have him set up as your "servicing" dealer. Your 05 should carry the balance of the original 50K warranty, and, you can extend that to 7years - 100k miles through a Jag Dealer. Costs of the additional warranty depend on what deductable you want.

Hope this helps.
    OldCEM
  • hyundai_slsmnhyundai_slsmn Member Posts: 57
    especially if it's a powertrain only warranty. and especially if youre paying cash for it. i really wouldnt bother with it. mine has 95k on it so far and the only thing thats been done is a couple sets of tires and front brakes, the rears are still @ 4/32 pad depth. every single thing in the car works perfectly. oil every 10k and the car still gets 30+hiwy @ 60mph and around 27-28 overall
  • zoompvzoompv Member Posts: 17
    I'll likely buy my used X-Type after having found it via an online search. A lot of the online descriptions leave me uncertain as to whether the car actually has certain options. I've figured out how to tell from photos of the center cluster if the car has heated seats, but how can I tell, either from photos or from a test drive, whether the car has:

1) driver seat position memory
    2) upgraded stereo system
    3) parktronic
    4) Stability Control
  • martinfmartinf Member Posts: 121
    How much was the extended warranty from Bergen Jaguar? Thanks!
  • zoompvzoompv Member Posts: 17
    Replying to my own inquiry: Okay, I've discovered how to identify cars with seat position memory and Stability Control (DSC). Memory seats have 4 buttons, respectively labeled M, 1, 2, and 3 along with the position controls. The DSC is part of the Sport package, so any car with a colored grill molding and rear spoiler has it. It can also be identified by a button with a picture of a swerving car near the gear shift lever, where there's otherwise a coin holder. But I seem to be seeing the DSC button on some models that do not have the Sport package. Was DSC available as a separate option (at least on '04 models)? Interestingly, there are a lot of dealers selling cars with DSC and they don't even list it in the description. Same with heated seats and sometimes seat memory, too.

And I'm wondering if I've been seeing evidence of the parktronic system in some photos. Sometimes, when the photo's clear enough from the right angle, I see two circular inserts in the tubular piece that the exhaust pipes poke through. The circles are in between the exhaust pipes. Are these the parktronic sensors, or do all X-Types have them?

I'm still uncertain regarding the upgraded (320 watt Alpine) stereo. Many listings say "premium stereo", but this seems to only refer to the fact that the base stereo is a "premium" brand. I think the 320 watt stereo has 10 speakers, right? I can find 6 speakers in virtually all 2004 and later models (including the tweeters near the front door handles), but where are the other 4 speakers in the 10-speaker system? Also, I see some steering wheels with stereo and cruise control buttons tacked on below the horizontal steering wheel spokes. But other models have buttons and up/down wheels embedded into the horizontal steering wheel spokes. I have a suspicion that the 320 watt stereo comes with these embedded buttons and wheels, but I'd appreciate it if anyone can confirm (or deny) this.

Thanks.

And I'm also interested in answers to the previous poster's question about the price of an extended warranty from Bergen Jaguar.
    :confuse: 02' X-Type - J Gate Auto - When outside temps drop below 50 degrees, there is a very annoying spinning whine that varies with pitch as I drive. It make no difference if the heater/def is on or off, and is not coming from stereo speakers. It sounds mechanical like a fan/vent in center of firewall behind dash ? Has anyone else experience this same phenomena ? Thanks.
    Yes, it happened once on a very cold 15 degree day and it was confined to 62 and 72 mph speed. I also thought it was in the dash or a high pitched radio noise. I have not heard it since. However, I did have another noise which developed shortly thereafter that sounded as if a leaf or some debris was hitting my heater fan. It turned out to be a small piece of a clear tape that became very brittle that was located at the lower right corner of my windscreen. Again it was linked to cold and vehicle speed. I trimmed the clear tape and the noise vanished. I don't know if both of those were related but I might make it an educated guess simply because as I was trying to find the noise, I removed the cowl above the air intake and blew out the leaved and debris. As I did so, I accidently brushed against the tape and thus pulled it further away from the windscreen. As I took it for a test drive I found that I had actually accentuated the noise.
    My guess was that as the tape was slowly lifting from the windscreen it started as the high pitch sound and then lifted enough to vibrate more freely creating the louder noise.
    Best I can help with.
    Good Luck
  • jerseyjagjerseyjag Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2002 X type that has developed a whirling noise from the front end when the outside temperature is very cold. Its almost like a moan similar to when you run wet fingers around the edge of a glass. It only happens at low speeds when excellerating from a stop and goes away after a short distance. Once car has traveled for a time the noise does not come back. I have noticed that the noise seems to happen more often when making a turn from a stop. Anyone have a similar problem? The car is now out of warranty. Is there a known TSB for this problem? I heard from one source that it might be the drive shaft.
    Interestingly enough - after my last post I had a similar noise that lasted for only a few seconds on the two previous mornings. Not a clue to what it is since its duration was for only a few seconds. The temperature each morning was below 20 degrees f.
    Has anyone found an easy way to remove the alloy wheels from the X type? I have had to use a block of wood and a sledge hammer to whack away at alternate sides of the wheel with the lugs loosened until the thing finally breaks loose. There has got to be a better way to do this.
  • scottmsimpsonscottmsimpson Member Posts: 66
    The problem is you left them on too long. The alloy wheel has "rusted" to the steel hub. This is not a Jag thing, it is an any car thing. Best thing to do with any car is soon after you get it, take the wheels off, put some anti-sieze compound on the contact points of the hub and wheel, and also put some anti-sieze on the threads of the lug nuts or bolts. Then put the wheels back on and of course torque the nuts to spec. If you ever have to change a flat out on the road you will be thankful you did this preventive maintenance.
    Thanks for the advice. But any idea of how to easily get the wheels off now in order to put the compound on? From another source I was advised to raise the car about 2 inches off the ground with a hydraulic jack, loosen the lugs, then either drop the car to the ground quickly so the jolt breaks the wheel loose or lower the car and then drive back and forth a little bit until the wheel breaks free. Can this cause damage?
  • mmirandammiranda Member Posts: 2
    Hi all! I have a 2004 x-type and also hear the whirling noise. It used to only be a faint sound when driving at speeds between 60-70 mph, however once the temperature in Chicago dropped to the 20's it became very loud, and would begin around 25mph, and again around 50mph. I have seem other people's posts, and some have been told to replace the tires, but have reported that this has not fixed the problem. I have spoken to my Jag dealer and they seemed to be familiar with the complaint, and I have an appointment to drop it off at the end of the week, so when I have the results I will share them. :confuse:
  • mmirandammiranda Member Posts: 2
    I too have had this same hum/ligh buzzing sound, and have had it replace twice at no charge. Since the last replacement, the sound has not returned, however, the dealer did not give any reason as to why it was happening. Perhaps poorly engineered/manufactured part?
  • cpeet3cpeet3 Member Posts: 2
    hell mine does that no matter what the temp is outside mainly taken off from a stop or making a left turn i cant figure out what it is either.
  • cpeet3cpeet3 Member Posts: 2
    hi i have a 2003 xtype with 5 speed every time i let off the clutch it makes a clunking sound and when i let off the gas quickly push back down it makes thats sound can any body help out there it sound like something loose like u joints, trans mounts but its not i had it checked. :confuse: ">
  • kmenjivarkmenjivar Member Posts: 1
    Chrome rims off my x-type are now available for sale.

they are in good condition tires included.

Check them out at: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/277754672.html
  • 04silverxtype04silverxtype Member Posts: 3
    Hello,
    I am having the exact same problem with my 2004 Jaguar X-Type as you describe! Actually I forwarded this link to my car dealer so that they can see that I am not the only one experiencing this. Sometimes the noise is so loud I cannot hear the radio. I only have 22,000 miles on my car so it will be going back to the dealer for resolution. Have you found out why it makes this sound?? If I get an answer, I will let you know.
    Have you had to replace the dashboard clip(s) also? I have had it replaced on the passenger side 3 times!!! The dealer said that I will replace it a few more times! Jaguar denies that there is a problem.
    Other than the rattling dashboard and the dog whistle in the cold weather....I like my vehicle..LOL Nancy in Massachusetts. ;)
    Has anyone had to bring their Jaguar X-type in to have the clips on the dashboard replaced? Apparently this is a well know problem...the clips let go and the dashboard rattles like a tin can!! Jaguar corporate denies the problem but my dealer was unphased by my 3 visits for replacements for my '04 in less than 20,000 miles! :confuse:
  • likintheleaperlikintheleaper Member Posts: 4
    See my post #2375. The Jag rep determined that my car is operating as designed and that nothing is wrong with it. The clunk has lessened over time, but it's still present. I suggested Jaguar extend my warranty for the transmission "just in case", but they wouldn't. Even the Jag rep said he wouldn't be happy if his new car made this noise. It's a shame, because I otherwise love the car. Other than a few headlight bulbs needing to be replaced, it's been nothing but a joy for me to own. Hope this helps. Unfortunately, it seems to be a dead-end street trying to get Jaguar to stand behind it's cars. If you have any update on your "clunk", please let me know; I'll do the same.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I think i remember that the clunk you are describing is play in the AWD system. Makes sense, in any case.
  • my1stjagmy1stjag Member Posts: 1
    Yea, I have a similar problem. Not with the clutch (because I have automatic) but with letting the foot off the gas and putting it back on. What happens is, in some gears, when you take your foot off the gas, even for a second, the RPM's drop waay down, so when you reapply your foot to the gas, there is a clunk because the difference in what the RPM's are, and what they should be at that speed. I don't know if this is normal or not, but that certainly is what causes it. Does it do that for other people?

Also, any word on that "humming" noise?
  • dkmdkm Member Posts: 19
    The humming noise or "infamous" Jaguar whine happens to many x-type vehicles. If the whine gets louder when the temperature drops then it is most likely the same problem I am having. Jaguar says that is the center set of ball bearings which connects the front 1/2 of the drive shaft to the rear 1/2. They have ordered a new ball bearing set and are installing it in a few weeks. I will let you know if this fixes the problem.
    Can you please give a little more info about what Jaguar actually said about the ball bearings as the cause of the hum. Did they consider this a warranty issue? Would it be repaired at no cost even if the vehicle is out of warranty? It sort of makes sense that the noise could be caused by something like this since it always seems to come when the initial load is put on the car, in other words upon initial acceleration. Is this something that is one of those secret issues that Jag only handles if the car owner happens to complain about it?
  • clfaganclfagan Member Posts: 1
    I feel your pain! I just had to replace my transmission because the mounting bolts had backed out causing the converter seal to break. This in turn, caused the transmission to be replaced. I was in the automotive repair business for eight years and never heard of bolts backing out. The car was taken to the Jaguar dealer for all scheduled maintance and warranty repairs. 5,000 miles after the warranty expired, the transmission goes. The service manager at Jaguar said that he had never seen bolts back out either. I called Jaguar Customer Service(?) to appeal my transmission repair. They very inflexible once the car it out of warranty.
    Does anyone else have a problem with removing the gas cap? It seems that the one on my car will stick in place in between gas fillings. I have tried a little grease in the threads of the cap but this didn't work to well. Every time I get gas its real hard to unscrew the cap. I am afraid that one of these days its going to break and be stuck in place. The cap is not being overtightened either. Just tightened until one click is heard.
  • tom213tom213 Member Posts: 49
    Anybody had any luck in tracking this down? Same thing happened to my wife's 2006 X-Type, and yes, only when it was cold out (temp in the 20s F) and it just started toward the end of this winter. Still have a lot of time left on the warranty, so I was going to see how it goes next winter and assuming it will get worst. I hate bringing to the dealer and getting the old "can not duplicate" when you show up to pick up the car.
    Hi Tom,
    Does the vehicle sound like an aircraft coming in for a landing?
    My dealership told me that this is a problem with a 'part' of the drive shaft. It is NOT a safety issue. Your dealer/service dept needs to order a new part for your wife's car and replace it. As I understand it, Jaguar is well aware of the problem. This was a problem with the 2002 X-Types but went away with the 2003 models. It returned with the 2004 and models thereafter....You will not be able to reproduce the noise unless it is sub-freezing outside... Good Luck! Nancy ;)
    Solution: It is what the call the prop shaft. It is part of the drive shaft. The dealer replaced mine with a new one and there is no more whine. Not only that the car performs better. There is no hesitation, no "clunking" sound when you put the car into gear and the transmission is a lot smoother. This part is on back order so don't be surprised if it takes the dealer awhile to get in stock. Good luck! :shades:
    Did your dealer indicate if this is a known warranty issue that might be covered even if your car is out of warranty?
  • tom213tom213 Member Posts: 49
    First, thanks to everyone that replied. However, here's a little more to the story...If I remember correctly, the first time I heard it, it was when the car was still in Park. The car had been sitting outside all day while I was at work and it was during one of our ice/snow storms here in OKC. The car was warming up while I was scraping the windshield and removing snow. I got back in the car and heard this high-pitch whine that sounded like it was coming from the radio speakers. I started driving and it went away. It was nothing I could correlate to the speed of the car. I'll be more aware of it, if and when it happens again though. Thanks again and I still would like to hear from others if they are going through the same thing.
    Sorry Can't help you there. My vehicle was still in warranty.
  • jaguarnautjaguarnaut Member Posts: 2
    Just curious to how much the dealer charge for repair this problem?
    Does anyone notices the car seem to brake (slow itself) when you take your foot off the accelerator at about 20mph?
    Also after this job is done, will the tranny (of an automatic) shiff more seamlessly?
    -Thanks all
    Mine is an automatic. The car should slow itself. These days all high quality automatic transmissions will "grip and slow" when the foot is taken off the gas pedal. It does it on all gears, the most noticeable is going for 2nd to 1st in my option. The dealer did not charge to fix this. My car is only a year old.
  • wshflwshfl Member Posts: 24
    Given that no postings are up since April, is this a good sign that problems have diminished with the "X", or has everyone simply given up in despair?
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    All of us original buyers of '02s and '03s have either had their leases run out or moved on after 3 or 4 years. Since Jag hardly sell any new XTypes, there is no new blood to keep the board up. OTOH, most of Edmunds boards have slowed down considerably no matter what the brand. I don't know why.
  • wshflwshfl Member Posts: 24
    It must be a general improvement in overall quality. Maybe the manufacturers are "learning their lesson".
    My first X was an 03 2.5 autommatic. Until the car had 20K miles on it, it wore me out with trips to the dealer for warranty work. After 20K, the bugs went away, and, the car was an absolute joy for the next 20K. Went to the dealer last May to check on an extended warranty package. Spotted a nicely equipped new 06 X 3.0 sitting on the lot, and, ended up trading for it. The 06 now has 19K on it, and, the only warranty work it's needed is a hood insulation pad replacement (it started sagging in the middle). Took the dealer 15 minutes to fix it. I do most of my own service to the car, and, I'm amazed at all the changes that Jag has made to the car. Near as I can tell, the only fault that hasn't been addressed is the flimsy center consul problem. The fat 17inch wheels, better brakes, and larger engine make this cat a lot more fun to drive.

Regards:
    OldCEM
    Does anyone have a rough estimate of approximately how long or number of miles before a brake replacement is needed? I know this always depends upon driving conditions, etc. But on average does anyone have a feel as to when it is normally necessary. Do the brake pads come equipped with feelers and if so is the sound they make the high pitched scratching sound (that I've heard on other cars) or more like a metalic moan (which is what I am hearing on mine)? If pads have to be replaced do you always have to replace the rotors? How can you tell? I know the easiest way would be to jack up the car and remove a wheel to have a look at the pads but I was hoping that I could utilze the experience of others here to help me determine if I need to start messing around. Thanks.
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    I read someplace that Jaguar had over one thousand new parts on the 2004 X. Typical Ford mistake, just as they did 20 years ago with the Tempo, 10 years ago with the Contour, 7 years ago with the Focus.....they seem to purposely introduce flawed new cars and let the customers who buy the first 2-3 years of a new model suffer numerous problems which Ford then fixes.
    And GM is even worse than Ford.
    All but 2 of the warranty issues I had with my 03 were minor annoyances. The two biggies - my torque convertor flex plate statrted rattling, and, my drivers seat wore out prematurely. Both were fixed promptly by my dealer with one trip. I've been very satisfied with both X's I've owned, and, I'm hard to please. I'm an ex - GM engineer.

Regards:
    Oldengineer