Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• possum61possum61 Member Posts: 9
    I have know clue as how well the jag will hold up to gravel roads most of its life, Mine for one has been a GREAT Jag for its smooth roads :)
  • jagnut1025jagnut1025 Member Posts: 2
    Had the same problem last week on '03 withg 55k on the clock. Dealer reflashed both the TCM and ECM per factory suggestion. So far this week OK.
  • jed123jed123 Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 is haveing the exact same problem...... What did you do to fix it, and did it work?
  • toner2toner2 Member Posts: 1
    '05 X-Type with 75,000 miles. Great car, love it, but recently tire edge wear has been a problem. Dealer says no one can balance tires. Jaguar does not recommend tire rotation to the best of my knowledge. Right rear camber is out of spec, and there is no adjustment. However, all 4 tires are showing feathering inside. Have Kuhmo tires and they are noisier than I like, but now the tire noise is worse, with only 17K miles. Is trauma the only thing that can throw the wheels out of spec? Why do all 4 tires show irregular wear? Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. Insurance calls this a 'wear & tear' problem. Dealer will just start replacing parts to try and fix.

Thanks, toner2
  • markviimarkvii Member Posts: 10
    I have an X Type '02 with 73 k on it . The dealer just replaced the rear lower control arms. The tire stand up straight in the rear now. I have a 100k 8 year warrantee, The dealer covered the arms,says this will fix it. Also doesn't rattle over bumps anymore, nice and quiet..
  • trini6trini6 Member Posts: 2
    I hv an '04 X-type AWD with 48000 miles with Falken 18 inchers that I hv rotated every other oil change with no probs it may be a compatability issue.... Good Luck !
  • tom213tom213 Member Posts: 49
    I have that same problem (tire road hum) with our tires (OE Continentals) too. Which type of Yokohamas did you get? Our 2006 is getting close to needing a set and I'm looking for quiet! Anyone else have good luck with any other brands?
  • oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    I put the Yoko Avids on my Jag. They've got about 5K miles on them now. They're a bit noisy at low speeds because the tread is very aggressive on them. So far they've been very satisfactory in rain and snow for me.

Regards:
    OldCEM
    Thanks. I am shooting for the quiet ride, so I'll keep looking. Many manufacturers say their product provides a quiet ride, but quiet to them may be different to me!!
    I have the Pirelli P6 Four Seasons ,great tires in all ways :)
    Thanks. It sounds like you are satisfied and I did hear that Pirelli's do provide a quieter ride.
    What would be the best OBD to get for my '02 X Type. I want to be able tom use it when the car is operating. I have a rough idle thtat shows up on heavy acceleration and decleration that remains til I restart the car. The amber and read dash lights come on but it doesn't store a code..
  • gr8catgr8cat Member Posts: 21
    Really want to buy a 2005 X-Type with a manual transmission, low km's and the VDP package if possible. Is there such an animal out there, or am I just dreaming? The manual seems to have so much more punch than the auto and a lot more fun to drive. We've been Jag owners for a long time now but have no idea what the new generation cats are all about. Lots of problems? Big repair bills? Do I need a live-in mechanic? Anything special I should look out for, or look for, when trying out used cats?
  • wshflwshfl Member Posts: 24
    Since no one has replied to your request for information, I would offer this: From all the stories I've read concerning all Jag models, everyone says the same thing: buy the best you can afford, preferably a "certified" model from a Jag dealer, with an extended warranty if possible. When anything "goes" on a Jag, repair will be expensive.
    A Jag is a beautiful but expensive mistress.
    Thanks for the input but I'm sticking to my guns on this dream - in fact am now looking at a beautiful S-Type "R" - can't find a stick so will settle for the supercharger instead. Unfortunately, the Jag. dealers are asking upwards of $l0 grand more for their cars and I think I can get a lot of repairs done for that kind of money. If I pick carefully I should be able to get a fairly low mileage car that will last a while. I know about Jags and their problems, problems, problems so I won't be surprised. I've set aside a sum to handle unforseen problems - my eyes are wide open and I think a CAA membership will be in order too - remember they are mostly Ford stuff now and if they've dumped the Lucas junk problems should really be minimal, hopefully. Thanks again.
    I have a 3.0 with all the bells and whistles for that year. Purchased it certified and then the extended (still covered) warrantee. I was/am meticulous with the dealer. It is a great car.., but I agree, without a warrantee, it would be a bucket with a hole in it. Eyes open...acquire it.
    Nice dream. I've owned 2 X-Types, an 03 2.5 and an 06 3.0. However, several months ago, a friend that works at the local Jag dealer gave me a heads-up that they had a nice 06 S-Type 4.2 VDP with Nav come in off lease, and, were putting it on the lot as a certified car. My buddy let me keep the S-Type overnight, and, the next morning I swapped my X-Type for it. My 3.0 X was nice, but, the S-Type V8s are muscle cars in tuxedos.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
    Wow - you're living my dream - the S-type R I'm looking at is a somewhat high mileage (116,000kms) 2003 - yikes as the reports say NO to the 2003's - but it is a beauty - in great shape - straight as a dye and original. It "calls" to me and fits my budget. The X-type was a consideration because of the all-wheel drive. We live in the country and winter driving can be a challenge. Any words of wisdom on after-market warranty programs for the S-R? I'm sure this cat will have some problematic surprises for us and I think a little insurance might be wise consideration in this case. Thanks. P.S. As they say in the horse world, I may be a bit "overmounted" with this cat, but I'm sure going to have a lot of fun. It's a lot cheaper than an XKE these days and a lot more comfortable - not the eye catcher, but our E was an exciting drive.
    My car had 48K miles on it when I bought it. Since it was certified, its under warranty for close to 3 more years or 100K - whichever comes first. I asked the dealer about extending the warranty out another year, and, they wanted $3K for that. I've contacted several other warranty companies, and, the prices were even higher than that. Haven't found a deal yet to my liking. One thing you might check on an 03 is the transmission. Jag stopped using the 5 speed Ford tranny, and, switched to a 6 speed ZF unit - because of excessive tranny failures. Don't know what model year the switch was made. I'm with you - the thing's an absolute hoot to drive. Even without the supercharger, the 4.2 makes 300 HP and 306 ft. - lbs of torque. The other funny thing is - My S gets about 4 more mpg than my 3.0 X did on trips. Never owned an E Type, but, did own a 1969 Olds 442 with the 400 CID/325 HP engine. I believe my S is the quicker car of the 2.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
    Thanks for the input - the 03 R does have the ZF transmission and it really does fly. We've driven several of these cars now and keep coming back to the 03 with the higher km's because it is so much tighter and faster than the others. Can't quite figure out why but all the others just seem to fade in this cat's shadow, even though it has twice the mileage of the others we've tried. The 2 year p/t warranty has sealed the deal for us and the extra money we're saving will just have to go away for future possible required repairs - maybe we'll be lucky and just end up with some extra money and a really exciting car. In any event, we'll for sure have a lot of fun. Thanks to this forum and the one on S-type transmissions we are armed with lots of good information and warnings so there won't be any tears if things go wrong - we'll just be prepared - armed, shall we say and ready for the good and the bad. Thanks again. Happy motoring.
  • staz1staz1 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 04 x type and the driver side wipper is loud as hell makes like a thumpen noize when it wipes.... any ideas what can fix this problem... i hope this car doesnt break my bankrole i bought it with no warrenty but at a very cheap price 10k.... the sticker was 41k on it in 04 so i think i got a decent deal with only 48k miles on it.
  • jagsperjagsper Member Posts: 1
    Too cool! I just bought the same car 04 X-Type with 60k for under $10k. Wipper does not make a loud Thumpin sound, the bottom of the drive side blade for the wipper did skip a little. Heck, go out and get some new blades most people forget about their blades. They're only suppose to last for a couple months. I change them each time I get an oil change.

BTW- I have four people in the car on hill at a light, I held the clutch out slightly to "rock the craddle" (as I have done for at least10 other cars I've owned) bad news, I burned the clutch. It was the strangest thing, smelled like a dead animal.
    Fair warning. :O
  • dad44dad44 Member Posts: 1
    I am currently evaluating a 2003 XType with 65K miles. Asking price is $9900. Concerned about quality of vehicle, maintenance issues long term, and whether its a good car. I can get the economics aligned, just concerned about the quality of vehicle. Sounds like you have some great insight. Thanks
    Well from my Exp , One of the best cars I have ever owned. Just tripped 90k 98% highway miles oil changed every 5 k with Mobil1 no issues at all and just 2 sets of tires
    I didn't run either of my X's up to that many miles. From looking at the Jaguar forums - the major concern with the one you're considering would be getting the transfer case lube changed. Jaguar says they're filled for life, but, they've been known to fail and they're expensive. You can research it on the regular Jaguar forums.

Regards:
    OldCEM
  • petezxrpetezxr Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2004 X-type about 5 years ago and had no problem as of today. It still runs and looks like new. I've changed the tires to 18" (225/40ZR18) and I feel the road more now but it handles like a cat, love it. :blush:
  • alison4alison4 Member Posts: 2
    I had very dim headlights on my car, so I switched to GE Nighthawks. They have been nothing but trouble, shutting out coming back on when I hit a bump. Are they to high a wattage for the car?. What wattage should I be looking for. Does anyone have any recommendations??. I will have to take it in to get them changed, but I'd like to take the correct bulbs with me to ensure that I dont end up with the wrong type again.....
  • alison4alison4 Member Posts: 2
    You must have replaced the headlights by now?... What type of bulbs have worked for you?... I know the Nighthawks dont work

Thanks, Alison
  • kilinskipkilinskip Member Posts: 2
    Seeing if anyone is selling an updated Navigation DVD for the X-type.
    Navitech (sp) has them for 199.00 + shipping. Google it.
  • brett5brett5 Member Posts: 4
    Love the x type!
    ">Now that the X Type is dead, did you ever consider what might have been had Jaguar actually cared about quality and the consumer? Had the model been properly developed before bringing it to market, with silent front axles, a decent automatic transmission, a transfer case that didn't implode, and electrics that were reliable, like, say, a Kia, the story would have been different. A quality product would have re-written Jaguar's history. There would be no Ford Mondeo nonsense ---- Lexus, Acura, Infinity, Audi, etc. are to a large part derivatives of more mundane products with no criticisms. The Jaguar problem was that the cars were under-developed with several cheaply sourced components with no regard for the marketplace. They've paid the price, and now will probably be relegated to curiosities in the market, or perhaps built in and for India. Too bad; but, they've had more than one opportunity, but just refused to learn. There is no longer any place, room, or need for Jaguar. Be gone. There are many, better cars in the over-crowded marketplace.
    ">Now that the X Type is dead, did you ever consider what might have been had Jaguar actually cared about quality and the consumer? Had the model been properly developed before bringing it to market, with silent front axles, a decent automatic transmission, a transfer case that didn't implode, and electrics that were reliable, like, say, a Kia, the story would have been different. A quality product would have re-written Jaguar's history. There would be no Ford Mondeo nonsense ---- Lexus, Acura, Infinity, Audi, etc. are to a large part derivatives of more mundane products with no criticisms. The Jaguar problem was that the cars were under-developed with several cheaply sourced components with no regard for the marketplace. They've paid the price, and now will probably be relegated to curiosities in the market, or perhaps built in and for India. Too bad; but, they've had more than one opportunity, but just refused to learn. There is no longer any place, room, or need for Jaguar. Be gone. There are many, better cars in the over-crowded marketplace.
    Your thoughts have some merit, all models have issues, even those you mention. My select edition '02 5 speed, once I got all the bugs out, has been a very rewarding experience. I have enjoyed it for near 5 years (still under their warrantee).
    I guess part of my point is that you shouldn't need to "get the bugs out" of a Jaguar. It should be "bug free" when you buy it. That's what would make it a quality car, and a success in the market.
  • cropperscroppers Member Posts: 2
    i like mines, 2004 x type but i spent so much money on it, everytime i turn around i was putting money into it, replace all the tires, water pump,electrical things the car wouldnt start, alignments, rotars,lights, may be i just got a sick car , but to many thigs went wrong and i only had the car a year now,,, i bought it with around37000 miles,
  • coachman358coachman358 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 X-type Jaguar. The car is not running right. I got a message that says "engine system fault" and "gearbox fault", and the check engine light is on. I got this same message back In November and was told that I needed a catalytic converter. The CC was replaced, and I am just starting to get this message again. Also, I noticed that when I plug my GPS adapter into the cigarette lighter, I sometimes have this problem. I am not sure if there is a connection. But, it seems odd. I sell real estate. Since the market has been slow, I haven't had as many showings. So, I have been able to notice that after using the GPS for the showings I have had, this some times happens. Do you have any idea what could be the problem? Thanks.

Optional Information:
    Year: 2003
    Make: Jaguar
    Model: X-Type
    Engine: 6-Cylinder
  • wegorvwegorv Member Posts: 1
    I can not believe how cheap Jaguar is by putting Steel lugnuts with a cheap tin plated cap over the lugnut making the wheels almost impossible to remove without a air gun.
    My wife had a flat tire and the two guys who stopped to assist her could not remove the lugs and destroyed 3 of the covers over the lugnuts. JAGUAR has the b#lls to charge $18.00 per lugnut (they are not even chrome plated). This is the type of lugnut you would expect to find on a Yugo!

Never buy another Jaguar!

Too many short cuts on their parts.
    I've had three Jags and never had a problem with the lug nuts. I suggest you never do business again with the idiot that over torqued them. On the 2 X Types I owned, I stood next to the guy mounting my wheels, and, made sure he used a correctly set torque wrench (not an air gun) to tighten my lug nuts. I never had a problem getting them loose, and, damaging them.

Regards:
    OldCEM
    06 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 VDP
  • tdc2010tdc2010 Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2010
    Yea I have a 2003 and I bought it with 105,000 on it. I have owned it for a year and a half now and it has 117,000. It drives great and it better than the Jeep Grand Cherokee I use to have. The Jaguar drives so good in the snow and rain. I would reccomend michelin tires that is what I have and they are very quite. Tires are not easy to find because they are 17". Another tire choice may be yokohama I don't know alot about them but that is what was on the car when I bought it. You could always put the recommended pirelli or continental tires on.
  • sherrysuesherrysue Member Posts: 1
    My Jag x-type has 36,000 miles on it. Always brought to Jag dealership for service. THIS CAR IS FALLING APART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tggarytggary Member Posts: 9
    Just bought a mint Jaguar X Type 3.0 with only 17K miles on it for only 12,400 and unfortunately experienced a thumping low frequency vibration which resonates through the whole car (but not the steering wheel) at exactly 70mph and above - the Dealer, not a Jaguar Dealer (but sells them often), has had the car for ten days now without a fix. A wheel balance and allignment did not remediate the problem, although they said it was lessened.. Either did a bearing replacement. (Couldn't tell me which one). I even gave them the Jaguar TSB's on the knocking noise from the suspension - there were 3 of them - one in 2005, and 2 in 2008.

The car drove perfectly up to 69.5 mph. I am wondering if anyone came up with a fix for this exact problem so I can direct the Dealer accordingly. 5 more days and I could actually pull the Lemon Law rule, but I have to tell you - one long drive in that car and I fell for it, although my wife talked me out of a Mustang GT due to the kids, I want it back in good working order. Got milk? (Any answers will be appreciated).

TG Gary
  • tggarytggary Member Posts: 9
    Fortunately, the Dealer I bought this car from went the extra mile needed to rectify the problem. Besides new wheels and a few other replaced parts, they provided a second new set of tires, again alligned and balanced of course, and I took the car up to 90 on the highway with zero vibration evident, and a whole new ride overrall. Then when I went through my glove compartment to review the Registration paperwork, I found another envelope with my name on it -- inside was cash equal to my first month's paymment.

The Dealer carries all highline and next to highline vehicles at bottom line pricing and obviously backs up the customer in regard to the New York State Warranty rules. Contact me at TGGary@Verizon.net if you are interested in knowing more - Good News! The dreaded high speed vibration in the X Type does have a fix.

TGGary
  • delafielddelafield Member Posts: 1
    I read the older posts regarding the engine whining in Jag X-Types from a a few years ago. I don't see any recent posts however. I have a 2005 X station wagon and the whining I hear is not only during sub-freezing start-up driving. It has been happening more frequently and it is also happening during reverse (where it is actually louder.) I took it to jaguar last year and they claimed that they did not hear anything. The car has since gone past it's warranty period. Does anyone know what this is and how much I can expect to have to pay to fix this problem?
  • kilinskipkilinskip Member Posts: 2
    So I have been to my mechanic and to the dealer with this problem and no answers. My yellow warning light comes on whenever I start my 2002 x-type in the morning and it says cruise control not available. It is not the check engine light but the yellow light next to it. Now when the light is on and I try to speed up fast the car will studder and cut the acceleration off until I let off the gas and accelerate slowly. The light usually shuts off after about 5 min of driving. And it sometimes comes back on when I get off the highway again. As soon as the light shuts off I can floor it as much as I want and no problems. I have been told it might be the seals but nothing comes up when the car is ran in the computer. Has anyone had the same issues? What is this and how much am I looking to fix it? Thanks
  • nathanielpcnathanielpc Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 x type, five speed, 2.5 l. i purchased this car at around 110k, it now is arriving at 140k. blew the motor up at around 123k, replaced with a new engine that had 60k on it. since then, it has been running nicely. the only problems i seem to be having is with suspension, i am far from any sort of mechanic, but there is a rattling noise coming from the rear. and also vibration in the steering wheel when braking. the vibration, im guessing, is the need for new rotors and pads. as for the rattling sounds (also occasional squeeking sound) coming from the rear, im unsure what the problem is. note, i haven't took it anywhere to be examined, sort of looking for an idea of the problem myself so i can simply purchase my own parts online.. some friends suggest that it is possibly the struts. also, i took it for inspection around 128k, decided to have it aligned. they were unable to do so and told me that i was in need of rear stabilizer bars. im hesitant to buy anything because i desperately want to see result in my purchase. overall, i consider this car great. but it also comes with some grief. i yearn for a smooth ride (which it is-in a way) but bumps on the road are like the devil to me... if anyone has some advice, please reply. though the last post on here is from march, hopefullly people out there still browse this forum!
    Rattles drive me crazy too. Sway bar links/bushings is right on, also probably strut tower bearings.... Great car, I loved mine..
  • ewagner44ewagner44 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 jaguar x-type 3.0. I dont know what to do. when i put it in reverse it jumps. when i put in in drive it jumps ever worse. i cant even drive it. i dropped the rear axel and checked the gears, nothing all looks good. anyone have suggestions. i have to try and do this myself nearest jag dealer is 200 miles away................HELP
  • bad_tranniesbad_trannies Member Posts: 11
    I've had my 03 x-type for about 6 years, from Jag dealer where the car with 9000 miles was used as a loaner during service. Paid $25k. Now has 106k miles and has been about the best car I've ever owned. No repairs out of the ordinary. I change the oil and rotate tires regularly. My driving style has changed dramatically in the past year in favor of better mpg and it has really worked. On the freeway using cruise control at 65 I get close to 30mpg. In city I can eke out maybe up to 22.
    After I got the car I noticed a grinding noise on hard left turns coming from what sounded like the front passenger wheel. As long as I did not take a hard left turn with a little acceleration it was fine so that was my work around and it was fine for me. Recently my brother drove it and among other things he checked the power steering fluid, found it low and topped it off. Now my Jag no longer gets that grinding sound. I thought I was going to have to replace lots of expensive parts so that was a cheap easy fix.
    I also put a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase at my last change and it has worked fine. My research on that product revealed much happiness from users so I gave it a shot. I also put 8oz in the gas tank at fillups as well.
    I also installed a K&N air filter to encourage better breathing and that seems to work well. Just remember to oil it up first before installing. I am considering a cold air intake as well but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.
    I am due for tires soon and have settled on the Continental Conti Pro Contact that is supposed to get 80k miles. Ford dealers now are advertising $100 rebate on 4 tires so will check that out.
    As I said, this Jag has been a great car for me and I'm glad it did not sell when I had it up 3 years ago.
    (btw, my bad_trannies name is in reference to the volvos I owned/own. Never again will I have another Volvo. I am now on my last of 3 which so far has been good. It has 108k miles and transmission is still ok)
  • redbone01redbone01 Member Posts: 1
    I am sad about ford changeing the XPLAN i was so looking to purchase my new jaguar this is my year in jesus name.