Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• Options
    kssodkssod Member Posts: 37
    has anyone seen the new pop-up on the jaguar web site? they have a lease promo, does anyone know if there is a financing special. last week the dealer said 5.9% but I think this promo is new since delivery begins after 11/12
  • Options
    cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    Platinum is the color for the "Sport".

Racing Green is best for the base.

Also like the Emerald Green.
  • Options
    bwmbwm Member Posts: 11
    BRG for the Sport..
    But maybe I'm biased, that's the color of mine.
  • Options
    cstarke1cstarke1 Member Posts: 5
    was my mother's choice. But she also looked long and hard at Pacific Blue. Personally, I think Quartz is gorgeous (but that was also on an XKR, which could be painted primer and still be beautiful)
  • Options
    rayh3rayh3 Member Posts: 38
    The special rate with Jaguar Credit is still 5.9% for purchases. I don't recall the lease details since they have been payments based on base model 2.5's that don't exist. The funny thing I have been seeing is folks coming in to drive the x-type and then switching to the S-type (heavily subvented leasing on the S make it cheaper to lease than a fully loaded X-type.)
  • Options
    facultyfaculty Member Posts: 8
    I'm a bit at a loss about the apparent anxiety regarding the availability of an entry-level sedan. Unless things have changed when I ordered one, if I had wanted the stripped down version, all I had to do was order it.

In fact, I ordered a 2.5 black auto that, upon further research and test driving, ordered another with the larger engine and a vastly superior colour (Westminster Blue). No penalty, just another eight week wait.

Are you people suggesting Jaguar is no longer building for North America, or is the wait for the base model simply too long?
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Just suggesting that most dealers will NOT order base models with no or few options. Dealers are loading them up. Suggesting Jag likely doesn't have plans to make many base models with no or few options. Could be very difficult to actually find, test drive, and buy one. Can't imagine special ordering a car that I can't first test drive. How would you know if you could live with one if you can't see it first?
  • Options
    where is everyone finding info about colors like emerald green and westminster blue? they aren't on the web sight or in the brochure
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    You can certainly test drive the model you want with the engine you want. It just may have a few extra features that you don't want. I personally order all my vehicles because I'm very picky about which model, color and options that I want or don't want. Granted you can't drive the exact vehicle that you're ordering but you can certainly do that when it arrives and make sure there are no flaws before you take delivery. The issue was that it was hard to find one off the lot - not that you couldn't order one that way.
  • Options
    kssod, in the brochure you should have a pull out color chart.
  • Options
    icdchessicdchess Member Posts: 83
    It is important to test drive the EXACT car you plan on buying or leasing. This topic has come up numerous times on the Jagtalk.com message board.
    Steve
  • Options
    I said to check the car when it arrives which would include driving it. Any problems should be corrected before delivery or you should be able to walk away from that car and get a different one somewhere else or at the very least order another one. For most cars that wouldn't be a problem - the dealer will just return it to inventory (unless you were ordering something that he didn't think he could sell, but I think even a stripped X-type would sell quickly). So I don't see any difference other than having to wait a few weeks.
  • Options
    keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    I went for a test drive this past weekend and received the brochure WITH a "2002 Jaguar X-TYPE Color Guide" insert. There is no mention of a Westminster Blue. The only exterior colors shown were: Onyx White, Platinum, Titanium, Anthracite, Adriatic Blue [my personal favorite], Pacific (Blue), Phoenix (Red), Carnival Red, Topaz, Emerald (Green), and British Racing Green.

I, too, am disappointed at the extraordinary markup of $6000 for the 3.0 engine. I will wait until spring in the hopes that Jaguar will come to its senses and stop gouging, otherwise I think that for another 2-3K an S Type is a much better value.
  • Options
    I wasn't aware of Westminster Blue until I saw it at an X-Type preview. At that time, the colour was not listed on either the web-site, or in the brochure. My dealer told me it was an American option, as were the 5 spoke wheels. I fell in love with both, and had to have them. As it turned out, he was mistaken, and I have what I wanted, but not without some leg-work.
  • Options
    babickababicka Member Posts: 60
    The dealers should get more entry level cars if they wish to have more loyal Jag. owners in the future! They should also keep the price at entry level so these buyers can get in and not become loyal BMW brand owners! The dealer here in Boston has many on that lot that are fully loaded and come close to the S-type price. I hope Ford PAG comes to conclusion that selling these "cats" at the advertised entry level prices is a great idea for a long term growth of the Jag. brand and forces the dealers to order entry level cars for sale at entry level invoice prices. For now the dealers are greedy and they will kill any chances for PAG to grow! Great greed example is the new Ford T-bird!
  • Options
    cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    I agree. I wouldn't even consider an X-Type at or near 40 grand. If you want people to buy this vehicle there should be ample opportunity to do so under 35 thousand and for that matter slightly over 30 thousand.

I'm considering the soon to be released Infiniti G35 (Spring 2002) which will have 255hp all the toys and great styling in the low 30's. The only way the Jag competes with that is in the low 30's.

If I want to pay 40+ for a Jag why not get an S Type. The lease on one is virtually the same as an X.
  • Options
    nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    about to order an X 2.5, dealer says that Titanium is still available. The in dash CD is confirmed as a $200 option on the base stereo. Where are you folks getting the information that Titanium is being replaced by Quartz?
  • Options
    The factory has no control over which options the dealers order. They can't force the dealer to buy base models. As long as they're selling the fully optioned models you won't see many base models. But you can always order one.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Yes, but the factory (i.e., manufacturer) does have absolute control over what it chooses to build and can drive its own production schedules. And it has absolute control over what original equipment options it will offer and how it packages them. If Jag wanted dealers to have lots of base cars and if Jag wanted buyers to be able to readily buy a base car, it could make it happen. But that is up to Jag. (Possibly too bad for getting people into and staying with Jag over their life, as people on a budget like myself who have to stay near $30,000 at this time won't be able to seriously consider an X-type. I won't buy what I can't sit in, look over, and test drive.)
  • Options
    wgrant1wgrant1 Member Posts: 1
    3.0 l purchased in Sept. x1 package and cd option.
    So far front seats are rocking chairs slop in tilt jackscrew ,dealer claims Jag told him thats normal?cure was grease all over seat and interior! now passenger tilt not working motor sounds like its stripped some teeth. Rear window scratched on delivery didn't notice it at first just looked dirty, dealer claims I must have done it.
    Fuse box/sunglass holder fell out waiting on parts ,bad design clips are braking off too thin plastic tabs. Defroster vent keeps popping up,many rattles in doors but dealer can't hear them.
    Didn't check for hearing aid count in service dept.Yes they'er over priced on paint cd and 3L option. Trapped by only one dealer in Mn. Twin cities.
    Good things trunk size, handling,gas mileage!!good long distance cruiser, 3L power,looks wife keeps petting hood leaper,awd
  • Options
    The only way Jag can get dealers to stock base models is to offer incentives. They can't offer options and then refuse to build what's ordered. We had the same discussion about Lincoln LS dealers not stocking manuals and it was clear from the marketing VP that they could not control what the dealers order or stock. Sad but true.
  • Options
    mfprmfpr Member Posts: 41
    I bought my 3.0 5 speed a week ago and have put about 500 miles on it. On the negative side, there is no memory for the seat position, the lids for the storage bins are squeaking and will be replaced, and the trunk latch malfunctions and will be replaced. The positives are the smooth paint finish, dash and interior design, short-throw shifter, power and growl of the engine, ride and handling, huge trunk, rear windows that roll down completely into the door, climate control operation, great gas mileage (31.5 mpg on the interstate at 65-75 mph), rear fog lights, and my list goes on. I realize that I'm still in the "honeymoon stage", but there are many more items on my plus side. Because I wanted a manual transmission, my choices were limited. The X-Type, while maybe not the best in any specific category, in my opinion, provides a combination of luxury, performance, comfort and quality that no other car provides as well.

Mike
  • Options
    joeandcarol2joeandcarol2 Member Posts: 152
    Thank you for bringing back a good memory... I read "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" about 28 years ago.. As for X-type Jags. Who was the idiot that designed the rear doors that only open up part way?? Am I the only one to notice?
  • Options
    denkdenk Member Posts: 75
    The same person who designed the huge rear view mirrors, put the cd player in the trunk, determined the option packages, and priced a 3 liter engine $6000 more than the 2.5 liter when they cost virtually the same to manufacture.
  • Options
    just went to pick up my adriatic 3.0, the paint looked great from a distance, but felt gritty to the touch, dealer is wet sanding to smooth out imperfections, not too concerned about damage since I've done this to finishes in the past, but I certainly expect more for 40k +. I hope it's close to my honda in reliability, wish me luck
  • Options
    Karl, I'm surprised to hear of the imperfections in your paint job. Did the dealer tell you the grittiness came from the factory? The paint on the X-Types I looked at, including the one I bought, are like glass. I do wish you luck with the outcome. I doubt that we can expect our X-Types to be quite as reliable as Hondas. This is a first year model and it is more mechanically complicated. If mine does turn out to be as reliable as a Honda, that would be an added bonus I didn't expect.

Mike
  • Options
    cainepcainep Member Posts: 35
    ...and considering that I drive on the L.A. freeways every day, I would have expected to see a lot more since its release.

Local advertised leases have been $429 for a 2.5 with automatic and X1 package (36 months, 10K per year, $3300 to start), or $459 for a 3.0 (no mention of options, 36 months, 10K per year, $3400 to start). However, only 1 or 2 available at these prices.
  • Options
    john777john777 Member Posts: 1
    What's a good deal on a base 2.5? The first sales person I talked to said, They're selling for list price and there's no negotiating, so I left.. I live in the northeast and I'll have to drive a 2 or 3 hours to find a different dealer.
  • Options
    If you can even find a base model 2.5 right now, full list price is the going rate. Loaded 3.0's have some negotiation room but the base 2.5 sells as soon as it hits the ground.
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    John,

I think it depends on where you are. I know some dealers in NJ you might try, but as Ray said, there are deals on 3.0s (Particularly loaded up ones) but base 2.5s are really tough to even get at the moment and really do sell quicker than they arrive (Dealer I used to work for has 70% of their incoming low-spec 2.5s pre-sold.. and that's coming in in the next 60 days!)

The record time that they have had a base 2.5 in stock is 4 days

Bill
  • Options
    I received an e-mail message from one of my local dealers today stating they were going to begin to offer a $2,000 rebate on 3.0 with X-1 package. Too bad I already have mine.
  • Options
    hinkdoghinkdog Member Posts: 10
    Why is there such a huge difference in pricing of the 2.5 vs. the 3.0 ($6,000). There isn't that much of a jump in the 3.0 vs. the 4.0 in the S-Type and you are adding 2 additional cylinders and other standard items, Ouch ....somebody please shed some light on this one please!
  • Options
    denkdenk Member Posts: 75
    Greed and stupid product pricing would be my guess. I've read in one of the motor magazines that there is very little difference in manufacturing cost between the 2.5 and the 3.0 engines
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Well, it's been about 15 years since i've read it myself.

I noticed the back door opening was a bit shallow too.. I had a hard time getting in the back, between that and the bottom sill being a bit high.

It was hard to get the car i would have wanted due to options.. I wanted no sunroof ( headroom issues ) , and that ruled out some things i REALLY would have desired ( i forget, it was a package thing ).

dave
  • Options
    I understand your dilemma about the limited rear door openings but my wife and I think we can solve that problem for you.

Don't go back there! We've found the front seats are where all the neat stuff is anyway.
  • Options
    rwcliftonrwclifton Member Posts: 19
    BWM - Is there a rebate on the 3.0 X-type or is it that the dealer you have been talking to is offering $2000 off the sticker of a 3.0 w/X1 package?
  • Options
    gerry18gerry18 Member Posts: 39
    BMW does the same thing with their 2.5 vs. 3.0 engines, although the difference isn't quite so bad ~$3.5-4K, with a slight difference in standard equipment. The 2.5 powered 3- and 5-series versions try to have base prices closer to the competition. As far as engine differences, in the BMW case, the only engine difference that I can identify is a slightly longer stroke. This should result in an insignificant cost difference. Both Jag and BMW are counting on their customers coming through the door for the base price model, then upgrading to the more competitively sized engine.
  • Options
    nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    My parents ordered one today: X 2.5, X1, in dash CD, auto transmission, got the new Quartz color (you guys were right, Titanium is history). That had a new S in Quartz on the lot, it's a very nice color. Price $33,875, about $1K off sticker. Dealer is on Long Island. They still have a Titanium 2.5 unsold on the lot, with X1 and the CD changer. A couple of other 2.5s also.
  • Options
    Our dealer just got a shipment in of 25 new X-Types. We're finally starting to see some base model cars coming in. My personal favorite is a British Racing Green 2.5 auto/sport package with no other options. Great looking car for about 33.8k.
  • Options
    pellegjopellegjo Member Posts: 18
    BMW is that a 2,000 rebate, or a discount off of sticker?
    im going to purchase under the A-plan so a discount doesent help me, but a rebate does...
  • Options
    picked up my 3.0 sport last week. Under A plan got 12% discount and an additional 2100 dealer incentive, which is mandatory for A plan, but dealer discression with others. also 5.9% financing. the 2100 additional discount is on 3.0 with premium(x1), and started on 11/9.
  • Options
    hikerstevehikersteve Member Posts: 7
    What is the "A" Plan referred to by kssod in message #641 dated 11/19/01? I also ordered 3.0 Sport.
  • Options
    jonty12jonty12 Member Posts: 101
    Ford employee pricing.
  • Options
    hinkdoghinkdog Member Posts: 10
    Is the $2,100 discount on the 3.0 with the premium package an advertised factory discount?
    If it isn't how do Ford expect to get the Jags moving off the lots and get a portion of the luxury sedans that MB and BMW have? I don't believe that the X-Types are rolling off the lots in Missouri like I read that they are in other states. I also hear that ford has a discount for friends of Ford employees, do anybody know if this is true and if so how much off an X-Type 3.0 with the premium pkg and upgraded stereo? Thanks in advance for the info and everyone have a blessed and safe Thanksgiving Day and weekend.
  • Options
    icdchessicdchess Member Posts: 83
    The Jagtalk.com message board ( http://www.Jagtalk.com ) has had several members report that local dealers are saying that Jaguar is offering a $2000 rebate on the 3.0 X-Type with X-1 option. If only one reported this, I would say it was the dealer's promo, but with dealers in different parts of the country saying the same thing, I am guessing that the dealers are telling the truth.

Steve
  • Options
    The e-mail I received stated it was a rebate but I have not confirmed it, I bought mine about 3 weeks ago. The Jagtalk board has reported this from several dealers in different parts of the country so is seems thay have some kind of discuont/rebate on 3.0 with X-1. You should call a couple of dealers and ask them directly.
  • Options
    jflickjflick Member Posts: 5
    I have heard that Jaguar offers a 2% or 2.2% holdback to its' dealers. Those that mentioned this have not been able to tell me where they got this information. Even right here at Edmunds, "No Holdback" is listed. Does anybody know for sure? To afford one of these babies I need all the help I can get! (<;

James
  • Options
    pellegjopellegjo Member Posts: 18
    kksod,

you got 12% off of sticker?
    a-plan is usually 4% off of dealer invoice.
    what did u get in your x-type sport and what was your cost?
  • Options
    When I researched the X-Type, I checked here at Edmunds also and saw that there was no holdback. When I went to purchase my car, I asked the salesman about it and he said that they get incentive money back from Jaguar depending on the results of the customer survey sent after the sale. BMW also uses this method to encourage good customer service. In theory, this is a good idea, but in practice, it leaves something to be desired.
  • Options
    jflickjflick Member Posts: 5