Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV: Care & Maintenance

Comments

• jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Have never heard of the Goodyear Assurance Tripleedge.Let us know how you like them after they're installed.
  • nlsnls Posts: 65
    I think it is TripleTread. There is also a ComforTread, which is slightly lower in cost.
  • daleinncdaleinnc Posts: 7
    ooops...you are right...triple tread....anyway...getting them on friday...will give an update soon after...
  • vrmvrm Posts: 303
    I plan to buy a brand new 2005 MPV for the *sole* reason that Mazda would have corrected all the bugs and fixed all the recall problems.

Does this reasoning make any sense? Or is the reliability of the 2004 and 2005 model on par? Will I be "wasting" my money by buying a new 2005 when I can get the same reliability and features by buying a used 2004?

Thanks in advance! I am eager for your feedback.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    Yes, I would say generally speaking your therory is correct. Though the Mazda MPV has always done very well in the area of reliability.You can look at an MPV and tell there is a lot of quality built in. Fit and finish are great. No squeaks,rattles, or other annoying problems. I haven't had any problems with my 2004.

If I bought a 2004 I would make sure the manufacture date is later than say June 2004. As the first quarter of 2004 the transmission TCM reflash hadn't been addressed yet. Either way you go...you should be able to get a really good deal.
  • daleinncdaleinnc Posts: 7
    ok...so i put on those expensive goodyears...and i must say they are great. I have the 2003 MPV Es....great trip...had them put on over the past weekend and immediately took a trip from Asheville NC over to Gatlinburg TN...by the way...27.5 mpg on the trip. alot of hills and such in our neck of the woods too!!

These tires are expensive...at least to me they are....150 each plus....but Tirerack has them rated as the number 1 tire. they do come in a 17 which tirerack didnt list.
  • jc9799jc9799 Posts: 70
    Depends of what the prices on an 04 would be. With many ads for 05's up to $7-8K off sticker, they are, at this time, quite a bargain. Plus, you get the full warrenty.
  • argrdiargrdi Posts: 4
    I have an older 6cyl MPV ('96). About 2 weeks ago I had to jump start the battery 3 times because something in the switch was faulty and the headlights would randomly come on while the car was parked (jiggling the switch would fix that issue). Then last week, we had a hard time starting the car after I filled up the tank. I did notice a strong smell (kind of like burning brakes) but that went away after a mile or so (don't even know if it was my car - we were in heavy traffic). That night I did notice that (with headlights and AC on) the "fuel" & "check engine" lights would come on (though very, very dim) at every stop light . Reving the engine seemed to turn these lights out. The following morning the battery was dead (not due to the headlights coming on). After jumping the battery I drove about 10 miles to a store, came back and again nothing (not even the slightest click. About 3 minutes later, I pumped the pedal about 15 times and eventually the car turned over. After another 5 mile drive to get something to eat I stopped and immediately tried starting the car - again, not even a click - as if there was no battery. Half an hour later we went back to the car, pumped the pedal about 5 times and it started right up. The day after the battery was totally dead. I replaced the battery tonight, car starts just fine - no pumping - just turn the key. However, if I turn the headlights and AC on, I can see the faint lights of the "fuel" & check engine" coming on. They do go off at about 1100rpm. Can anyone offer some advise on what might be going on?
  • exit56exit56 Posts: 9
    Anyone else have this problem: sand, dirt, potato chips etc. collect under the back seat (the one that slides from side-to-side) and get into the grease on the seat rails.

Once you take the seat out, you'll see the channel that the seat slides in. How do you get in there to clean it? What do you use to re-grease the rails after you clean it?

Thanks
  • guitarguitar Posts: 32
    Hi,
    I'm wondering whether the 2000 MPV ES works on a timing belt or a timing chain? I'm about to purchase one second hand (at 65000 miles) as I need a vehicle for 18 months while I am in LA. But I'm not sure whether I have to factor in the costs of replacing the timing belt, if there is one. Thanks so so much.
  • gat135gat135 Posts: 7
    I am interested in purchasing a 2005 left over MPV but I'm not sure due to the comment made by my mechanic. He claimed that it had taken over 1 month to receive a part on a Mazda he was trying to repair. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • tcc21tcc21 Posts: 69
    Ok, it's been months since posting here but here is another issue I have. I need to change the light bulb for the DRIVER SIDE little parking light - the one within the headlight bezel. Do I need to remove the battery to get at this socket?
    I can get at the headlight, but not that little light!
    Darn, there is a pipe in front of it too!
    Any ideas are welcome! If I disconnect the battery, I'll need to reprogram the radio, clock, etc....is there anything else that could get screwed up too? I'd rather not remove the battery if at all possible.

Thanks, Tom
    I heard that it costs 450 dollars for the 60K warranty work; which includes replacing the timing belt! Is this a mandatory thing or just a nice to do thing??
    That's a lot of money for just changing oil and rotating tires and changing a belt.
    Please respond; anyone who has gone thru this period.

Thank you. TCC
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,748
    There is no timing belt in the MPV with the 3.0L V6. It is a timing chain and does not require replacement at 60k miles.
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    chain on the '00-'01 2.5L V6 as well. no maintenance on it either.

-Brian
    Do you mean, the chain requires less maintenance than the belt? Timing chains do stretch over time and eventually need to be replaced, but not as often as belts.
    Thank you for the replies regarding the timing chain/belt.
    I have a Toyota that requires it every 60K and so I wanted to be sure. I called my local friendly dealer who did not disclose the fact that it is a CHAIN vs. a belt...how nice.
    He just said it was over 400 dollars for the service and come on in with open arms!! Truthfully, if you have your tranny flushed, antifreeze flushed, oil changed, and tires rotated under a tire warranty, I can break it down to be much less than that amount elsewhere and that is what they basically do at 60K at my friendly open arms dealer!
    Anyone replace one of those yet? As the rear license bulbs are sooo fun to replace, I think those little funky lights within the headlight bezel are a real treat to change too!
    Mazda should change them for free labor. POOR design for sure. You need to remove the battery and a air housing to get at the drivers side one!!! Engineers are great with cad, but not with hands on!!
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Correct, no specific maintenance necessary (just change the oil :) ) There isn't a real defined mileage for replacing the chain like a timing belt.

-Brian
    Ok, I seem to have a pet peave with this MPV vehicle and anything to do with lights, lightbulbs or self-maintenance items...or items that USE to be considered SELF-MAINT. type items!

How does one go about adjusting the 'height' of the headlights?? I don't see an adjusting screw and the manual has nothing on this!
    They show a diagram on how to change the headlight bulb - which is a joke since they show a large space between the battery and the socket area for the drivers side bulb - NOT! It cost me $25 to have the dealer replace that little parking light and he was cussing it...which the manual actually states to 'see dealer for replacing parking lights'!

Sorry for the continued ranting on this vehicle, but it is not 'user-friendly for working on the simple things!

Again; how does one adjust the headlights?

Thanks, TCC
  • bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    ...but it is not 'user-friendly for working on the simple things!

Have you had to change a tire yet - in the rain?
    There's nothing like getting close to nature being on your knees in a pool of water cursing the engineer who designed the infamous "hidden spare tire".
    I hear you there! I think people with MPV's or other design flawed vehicles should stage a rally on DUMB ENGINEERS!
    It's obvious that they only design things on a CAD drawing and NEVER try it for real! But they get paid the big bucks and we pay the big bucks for a unit that is worthless in less than 5 years!
    Still no one has replied as to how to adjust the headlights; maybe no one cares about having lights out of line!!
  • dmckaydmckay Posts: 3
    don't know about you, but my mechanic could not locate the turn signal bulb at any auto parts store. It had to be ordered through the dealer. My dealer apparently does not routinely keep them in stock, I believe the cost of this silly little bulb was over $6.
    Great! Not only is the labor a killer on this vehicle for the simple things, but the parts are expensive too!
    I have not lost a turn signal light YET, but I'm sure that will come next. I've replaced nearly every external bulb on this thing in 3 years! About 30% of them I've been able to do my self....!! What kills me is that the unit has so much potential, but between the tranny issues (mine seems good now) and all the other nit-picking things, it is a nuisance vehicle! I'm really worried about what it will be like after 5 years of ownership. It may just start falling apart as I drive it and all the lights will be burnt out too:-O!
    I have to whisper this so it doesn't hear me...

I have 92.5K on my flaming red '01 MPV. It has honestly been the most trouble free automobile I have ever owned. I change the oil at 3~4K intervals, add fluids every once in a while but that's about it. It's beating the two Honda's I have owned. Now, if it breaks down in the next two weeks or so I'm blaming you guys - :))

So, besides the spare tire and the tiny little ashtray (always my personal joke) it's been a very good van.
    Consider yourself very lucky. I think anyone that has any car with little or no issues these days is very lucky.
    Even my TOYOTA Camry has had brake issues and oil leaks in the cylinders!
    So, you have not had to replace any of these darn light bulbs yet? WOW! Take a walk around your vehicle to be sure they are all working first....:-) I actually think the earlier models of the MPV were better although you had that smaller engine though....

BTW, I wish that I could have gotten a red MPV in 03 but they didn't offer it anymore after 2001!.
    Yea - it's a shame they curtailed the blazing red after 2001 - but then again, I enjoy the looks I get in town. From what I've read here I agree, the '01 was seemingly their better year although in general, aside from the transmission woes, the '02 and on are not dogs by any means.
    I also have a 2000 Sienna which has been pretty good too - some little nit-pickin' things but generally satisfactory. I prefer the MPV for in town travel and the Sienna for long trips.
    I mentioned this a while back; the Sienna is the long range bomber and the MPV is the fighter. I wouldn't trade either one right now.
    As far as your "lucky" comment - it's about time! I've owned too many Fords and Chevy's in the past - Ha.
    I read recently that for '02, the MPV not only got the more powerful V6 and the 5-speed automatic, but also got improved braking and suspension. Since the tranny on my '02 shifts very smoothly, I guess I'd rather have the '02, even if it isn't red. :)
  • krossikrossi Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 MPV LX, V6, 150,000 miles. It failed to start the other day. Battery is good (15.5 volts).I checked all I could and all signs pointed to starter. I had the starter checked, it was bad, I replaced it and still no start. When I turn the key on, all lights come on; when I turn the key to strat, the idiot lights dim slightly but nothing happens. I can hear a faint clicking under the dash somewhere but don't know where it comes from. Is there a relay or other electrical compnent taht could be at fault? It is puzzling because everything seems to be fine except it does not start -do i try to fix or cut my losses and donate the car? Thanks -Ken :confuse:
  • Howdy, folks.

Since the maintenance page is so rarely visited, I thought I would post the question here.

I bought an in-cabin air filter replacement element for my wife's MPV. I looked under the glove box to see where it would fit.

After toying around and removing a few clips and screws, I couldn't figure out how to remove the piece on the left that looked like to most likely place to put it.

How does one replace the filter element? :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.