Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    I also have the rattling sound from the center vents. It rattles when going over bumpy/rough roads, which is most of the time(A/C on or off). I press firmly on the fake wood trim piece right above the digital clock and it stops/mutes the rattle. I don't know if that is the same rattle you have..?? Seems to happen only in the cold weather(50's to 60's, that is cold for Houston).

'01 LE w/ 53K miles.
  • konekone Member Posts: 19
    97 PF with 106k miles. I've read a lot about the "wobbles" with this car but found no real answers - maybe I missed it. Car shakes, or wobbles, from side to side and sorta front to back when going 50-70. As soon as I get off the accelerator it settles back down. The more weight in it the worse it is. If I turn the steering wheel slightly side to side, it just doesn't seem to recover well. The back-end seems excessively loose in the rain too. New tires, new rear shocks, and my mechanic says the control arm bushings are fine and says that struts MAY help but he thinks they're ok as-is and wonders if it's worth the $ (I'm afraid he thinks I'm nutz.) My 18 year old son drives this car and I'm starting to be concerned for his safety...an SUV is not the best handling vehicle even at it's best.

Any answers or help out there? I got in this car cheap but between this and the auto climate control not working - I may just get back out of it. Thanks.
  • joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    my rear hatch has a loud squeak when I close it. I don't hear it when I open it though. I can't tell if it's coming from the damper or the hinge. Anyone had this problem?
    97 PF with 106k miles. I've read a lot about the "wobbles" with this car but found no real answers - maybe I missed it. Car shakes, or wobbles, from side to side and sorta front to back when going 50-70. As soon as I get off the accelerator it settles back down. The more weight in it the worse it is. If I turn the steering wheel slightly side to side, it just doesn't seem to recover well. The back-end seems excessively loose in the rain too. New tires, new rear shocks, and my mechanic says the control arm bushings are fine and says that struts MAY help but he thinks they're ok as-is and wonders if it's worth the $ (I'm afraid he thinks I'm nutz.) My 18 year old son drives this car and I'm starting to be concerned for his safety...an SUV is not the best handling vehicle even at it's best.

Any answers or help out there? I got in this car cheap but between this and the auto climate control not working - I may just get back out of it. Thanks.
  • calgaryphilcalgaryphil Member Posts: 17
    I get this on my 01 LE. Returns every year. I just spray some Silicon Lube on the hinges where the gas struts attach to the hatch...clears it right up. I also spray and wipe down all the rubber weather stripping on the vehicle once a year with the silicon lube. Keeps them pliable and prevents cracking.
  • amohraamohra Member Posts: 7
    Does anybody know or replace rear brake shoes, how many miles did it last? Of course it varies depending on how you drive. But on average how long do they go. I have heard they last as long as 2 sets of front brake pads. My 00 PF has 90K miles.
    Appreciate all the comments.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Have you ever had the rear control arms or bushings replaced? If not, that's definitely your problem; your mechanic has made a poor diagnosis. The lower link bushings are toast. Click here for more evidence.

Here's a Nissan TSB on the issue:
    http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/tsb/Oct/14152.asp
    Thanks xplrox4 for the informative site. Now if we could get a subscription for free and post the repair info here........ : )

https://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/TSB/Oct/Pathfinder_R50.asp
    Yes that's what I see all over the web (bushings.) What should I look for that would indicate the bushings are bad? other than, the wobbles that is.

i bought this used a few months ago and as far as i know, the bushings could possibly never have been replaced...or the struts for that matter.

thanks again.
    The wobbling is caused because the rear axle is "steering" the truck. Worn bushings allow the right and left side lower links to move forward and backward. This allows the rear axle to twist left and right ever so slightly.

Without actually removing the lower links it's hard to determine how badly your bushings are worn. The wobbling is a dead giveaway, though. Another way to check is to place the truck on level ground, in neutral, and chock the front wheels. Grasp the left rear tire with both hands while looking down at the lower link through the wheel well. Rock the tire backward and forward while watching the link. (Use a fixed reference point, such as the gas tank bracket, to detect whether the link is loose.) It should not move back and forth with the tire.

There are a couple of approaches to fixing this issue. The first is to replace all of the rear links (2 upper and 2 lower) with new parts. Even though only the bushings are bad, its usually less labor to replace the whole link with bushings. The second is to replace the stock bushings with polyurethane performance bushings, which involves a bit more labor (and cost).

It's not necessary to replace all 4 links, although it's probably not a bad idea. It's only the 2 lower links that cause the swaying. If you prefer to do the fix in phases, you can break up the impact on your wallet.
    thanks for the thorough information! i got this truck pretty cheap as 4x4 and hauler. i don't want to dump a lot of $ into it, just make it safe for my kids to drive to college, so i'm probably gonna go with replacing the lower rear links. is this work for a dealer or could my local shop get the parts and do the work?

thanks again.
  • buddygbuddyg Member Posts: 2
    I recently traveled from Pennsylvania to Tenn, and then to Orlando, FL. The check engine light came on just outside Orlando after traveling about 1200 miles. Took it to a Nissan dealer in Orlando and they diagnosed it as "Internal Failure" and replaced the rear oxygen sensor (bank 1)and reprogramed main computer system. Cost $319.00. The next day I left for home and traveled approximately 560 miles and the check engine light came on again and stayed on all the way home. Is there any way to get the light turned off and wait until it reappears or do I need to take it to another Nissan dealer again? I don't seem to have any mechanical problems and I've only used premium gas. I'd hate to have to pay another $300.00. Any suggestions?
  • blawsonblawson Member Posts: 19
    I recently had the same issue on my 2002 SE (55K miles). My service engine soon (SES) light came on about 4 weeks ago. After reading the posts and talking to others who had the same problems, I tried a couple of things.

1. I ran that tank of gas out and filled it up (at another service station) and added injector cleaner. I didn't use the name brand injector cleaner (Gumout etc.). At my auto parts store I asked what they recommended. I used 2 different injector cleaners on 2 full tanks. BTW, I always use name brand premium fuel.

2. I pulled the fuse for the SES light to check that out.

3. I even wrapped the gas cap with a rubber glove to see if that made a difference. (It didn't)

4. Finally, since I had just tried synthetic oil in the truck, I changed the oil and went back to regular oil. Up until this point I had used regular oil but had changed it every 3000 miles. My original plan with the synthetic oil was to go 6000 miles before I changed it again. I took the synthetic out at 5000 miles. I have no clue how this could have been the cause but 500 miles after changing the synthetic oil and going back to regular oil, the light went out.

In the end, it may have been a combination of things or it may have just been 1 bad tank of gas.

I refused to go to the dealer because they don't seem to know how to fix. From most of the posts I have seen, the fixes are temporary. Since the car was running fine and my gas mileage was not affected, I had convinced myself that I was going to ignore the light.

My personal opinion is Nissan has some issue with the SES light on several models. I have a couple of friends with Nisaan's (Altima, Maxima) and they have experienced the same problem. The friend with the Altima fixed her problem by making sure the gas cap was tight. The friend with the Maxima put $400 in the car with no success. He ignores the light. He also buys the cheapest gas he can get.

Hopefully, your SES light will go out too. If my light comes on again, unless there is something else wrong, I am going to ignore it.
    Kone- buy the lower links from an online dealer such as www.aaanissanparts.com or www.nissanparts.cc for the best prices. (Your local dealer will usually charge you up to 40% more than the online dealers.) Then, contact some local auto repair facilities to get some quotes on installation. I recommend shops that specialize in shocks, struts, brakes, rather than full-service places. It shouldn't take more than about 2 hours of labor to do the work, provided the bolts aren't seized. (Be sure to make it clear that you're only doing the lower links, not all 4.)

Note: if you live in the rust belt (i.e. regions that use salt on roads during the winter) the bolts securing the arms may be seized on. The bolts are a special dealer-only item as well. They're about 4 bucks each.
    I agree with blawson,

I am giving it a couple weeks and hopefully it clears up. I believe it is just a bad tank of gas or at least the ECM thinks so. Unfortunately my inspection is due this month and it won't pass with the light activated. Hopefully, I can get another tank of gas in there and run it down and the light will turn off as in the previous my three SES light occurences this year.

Will pull the DTCs and if it is the O2 sensors code then I will just give it some time.
  • swamplizard1swamplizard1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. Replaced the starter and solenoid seems to be working fine.
  • robertbarkerrobertbarker Member Posts: 5
    My 01 Pathfinder LE CD changer displays ERR2. The first time, it was under warranty and the dealer replaced it with a refurbished changer.
    I'm looking at my options. I found a place online that will repair it (get the stuck CD's out) for $200
    http://www.johnson-electronic.com/pages/1/index.htm Do you know of anywhere cheaper??
    The dealer referred me to a local radio place that does their stereo work but they said they would send it off and it costs $400. I noticed a few on ebay but am suspicious that they are fakes and may not last too long. My friends tell me just to replace it with an after-market stereo, but I'm pretty sure I would loose all the steering wheel controls (volume, change station, etc) any suggestions other than putting in a pocket and doing without.
  • brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    You can go to www.crutchfield.com.They sell aftermarket units that comes with adapters for steering wheel radio controls.You can also go to a reputable stereo shop.They usually install stereo systems for late model vehicles with steering wheel audio controls.
  • newmannewman Member Posts: 11
    i need to find out the cubic size of my nissan pathfinders engine, and i cant find it. I have a 95 pathfinder with a v6 4 wheel drive with overdrive.and i need to know the ci. of the engine.
    Your truck has a VG30 engine, which has a displacement of 3.0 liters (about 183 cubic inches).
  • viking03viking03 Member Posts: 21
    Hello,

I am returning to the dealer to have my Bose (Clarion?) 6 disc in-dash CD/cassette changer repaired - it skips and won't play CDs in the morning when cold, or after sitting at night for several hours. After about 20 to 30 minutes it works fine (unsure why this happens - any clues?). I am concerned that the dealer will want to switch out the new stereo (my PF is still under 30 k miles and under warranty) and replace it with a "refurbished" unit. I have read stories on people continuing to get replacement stereos that don't work.

Do I have any recourse in demanding a new stereo as a replacement, vs a refurbished? I don't want someone else's 3 yr old stereo (that may or may not work), if I can keep my 1 yr old cruddy stereo just as well and have it repaired by a good shop. I also am concerned about the lack of TLC of the dealer mechanic while they disassemble my dash - don't want rattles in addition to this dissatisfaction. Has anyone tried a CD cleaner disc in their car stereo (with the tiny brushes?) I imagine these might not work due to the tight confines in the magazine. I don't want to make a bad problem worse.

Has anybody had any experiences with these refurbished units? Am I right to be a little uptight about this? I just wonder what "refurbishing" actually entails and if will be in "like-new" condition or if they just clean off the CD lens and call it good.

Does anyone know the model # of the Clarion (Bose) 6 disc in-dash CD/cassette?

Thanks for any help with these questions.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I remember reading how to reset the SES light on here before but I can't find it. Anyone know how to do this without the scanner? Also, can you erase the stored trouble codes as well?
  • kyleekylee Member Posts: 1
    Yes, my 2002 Pathfinder (65K miles) CD player does exactly the same thing. I've contacted several sources, who all tell me that they can get me a refurbished one for $350. A new one is $1800. Like you, I'm reluctant to get a refurbished one, but since you're under warranty, I'd take the free fix over no fix at all. Each company that I've contacted regarding repairing mine has said that in-dash changers in general will fail within about 2 years. Fortunately, my changer hasn't failed, i.e. jammed, but just has the playing problem in cold weather.

In response to your question regarding "how" they will refurbish the player, they will not just clean it up and send it back. They will send you a refurbished unit (not repair and return). It is one that has been brought back to original standards and passed testing. There is no way to tell what problem it had prior to being refurbished.

I tried the lens cleaner idea, too, and it yielded absolutely no benefit.

If I were you, I would have the dealer address your problem under warranty, even if it means that you receive a refurbished one. Then, since you're under warranty, consider buying Nissan's extended warranty on the entire vehicle, making sure that it covers electronics. I did that with my Odyssey, and it paid off. Cars are so expensive to repair if just one thing goes bad. I recommend calling at least 5 dealerships to find the best price on Nissan's extended warranty. I did that with my Honda, and I got a 100K warranty for $880, compared to other dealer quotes between $1200 and $1500. Shopping around paid off. Also, don't believe them when they say you're getting the "employee price", as it was $1200. Like I said, I got mine for $880.

Good luck! Let me know how your replacement unit works! I'd be interested in finding out how successful it is!
    Kyle
    Well, after another gas fillup and used 3/4 of that new tank the SES light has turned off by itself and I passed inspection (as I anticipated). The light resets after 3/4 tank of new gas is used up.

I can only conclude, now after a few SES lights, that my LE is overly sensitive to gas quality(cheap brand or not). Probably due to components wearing out (O2 sensors) but not completely failed. I always use Unleaded Plus 89 Octane.
    That's good news. Glad to hear your light went out. My light has been out for 2 weeks or so.

I will continue to use premium fuel and every few months I will add in a bottle of fuel cleaner just for grins. You would think the dealers would suggest you try that first, before doing anything else.
  • ncrdupathncrdupath Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 02 pathfinder LE. I am having the dealership check into this and they are going to check it when it is cold. He suggested selenoids that control the shifting. I will find out more later. I have ~ 50K on mine.
  • buddygbuddyg Member Posts: 2
    Ref my message # 1136. The SES light went out today by itself. This was after my trip from Florida and fourth fill up. Don't know why the light suddenly disappeared, but thankful it didn't cost me another $300. Maybe I got bad gas in S. Carolina. I think I'll use Blawson's tip and put a bottle of fuel cleaner every now and then. Does this work similar to dry gas? If I seem stupid, it's because I am when it comes to cars. Buddy
  • markxpmarkxp Member Posts: 4
    Sallen, did you ever find out what the problem with the handling/steering is? I have a 01 LE and I am experiencing the exact same difference that you describe. You are not imagining things. One day my pathfinder just started handling like a completely different vehicle. I took it into my local dealer's service dept. and they said everything was fine. Any ideas?
    I don't think the dry gas stuff cleans your injectors. I could be wrong. Take a look at the instructions on the bottle. It should say one way or the other.

I've only used the dry gas stuff a couple of times. When it gets too cold, I just usually make sure the tank is at least half full.
    thank you xplorx4 im getting to know my truck a little bit better.
  • davepathdavepath Member Posts: 6
    My check engine light comes on and my speedometer does not work. I have replaced the speed sensor and still does not work. Does anyone have any suggestions what it is?

1994 PF with 5 speed manual and 4X4.
  • eaglefan55eaglefan55 Member Posts: 3
    Need some guidance on this - -2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4 - 46K miles - Initially started getting very poor gas mil age, then started seeing a SES light - Had the ECM decoded, 3 codes appeared - P0140, P0158, P0159 - All having something to do with Oxygen sensors. Dealer tells me that the right and left lower O2 sensors are bad. Replacement at the dealer will cost $600. After doing some research, I found O2 sensors at a reasonable price and could easily do the job myself. I could replace all 4 sensors for under $300. The part I have a question about is the ECM, he said something about re programming the ECM with new software. Can I replace the O2 sensors without doing this, or is this a mandatory procedure???
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    The reprogramming fixes the problem of the ECU being too sensitive in that it detects problems even though there aren't any - many have had "marginal" fuel set off the SES light. Have your dealer do the reprogramming but not the O2 sensors. Wait for a few weeks to see if the SES light goes out and stays out. If it doesn't, replace the sensors yourself (the original batch of sensors in production included some that failed way too soon). The light should reset by itself after a few days with the new sensors.

He should charge you $40 or so for the reprogramming - as you're off warranty. You may be able to get it free if it's considered emmisions related.
    That's a good idea.. They may just be too sensitive. I had the codes cleared the other day and refilled with good fuel and some fuel treatment. No light so far.. My experience was always that if a sensor of anykind was bad, the ECM would turn the SES light right back on after it was cleared. This just seems like what you were saying, too narrow parameters set in the ECM....
    I'm just getting the lower arm bushings replaced. I ordered the poly bushings at $75 for two sets. My local garage is telling me to expect $168 in labor and is recommending an alignment after. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    Does anyone know if, or how I can tell if, a 97 Pathfinder SE has an in-cabin air filter?

thanks.
  • bitterbobbitterbob Member Posts: 4
    It's been 3 months with my new 04 SE and I still can't figure out how to turn off the damn RDS system on the radio. It shows the title and artist of the song playing instead of the station frequency. Does anyone else have this problem?
    You won't need an alignment; don't waste your money. Even though some shops say "4-wheel alignment", the only axis of alignment adjustment is front wheel toe. Front camber and caster are non-adjustable, and the rear axle also cannot be adjusted. If you ordered the trailing arm poly bushings from Automotive Customizers, it should have only cost you $32.50 per set ($65 total).

Good luck with the work!
    you're right....$65. tanks for the advice.
    i have a 95 xese 4x4 pathfinder and i have a small problem. I was going to work and i lost my dash lights,and they didn't come back on. Got home fiddle with the switch them came back on. the following day i went to start my pathfinder didn't have dash lights, plus my parking lights and tail lights dont work. I have headlights, brake lights, turn signals. Checked the fuse under the dash it was fine it wasn't blown. Is there another fuse for the light system or do i have a lose connection. It makes it scary to drive at dark. Can somebody help me.
  • mbensonmbenson Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 2001 Nissan Pathfinder in Sept of 02. My wife took it in on Wednesday to have the tires rotated at Goodyear. Of course, they got her to pay for several things that "they found" - one of these things being that one of the wires connected to the battery was "becoming corroded" so she agreed to a $10 charge to clean it. When she picked up the pathfinder, the Bose radio works, but the CD player now no longer does. It displays Err2. It was FINE before she took it in.

So... she went back. They called Bose and Nissan for the unlock/reset code. Neither would provide it. they both said for her to bring it in. So.... she did. Then after an hour and a half said that she would have to have it replaced. She asked for the code which they would not provide her.

CAN ANYONE HELP? I'M SICK OF THE RUNAROUND!

Mike & Jenn

mikeisalegend@yahoo.com
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    There is no code that I'm aware of. Failure of the 6 disk CD changer is common. Sounds like a coincidence to me that it failed when the Goodyear shop was extracting money from your wife.
    That is what happend to my '01 LE under similar circumstances. I had to disconnect my negative cable (changed In-cabin Filter per instructions) and when reconnecting it sparked about three times as I was wiggling it to fit in. After that, my CD changer had the ERR2.

There are no codes or reset mechanisms. Had to bring to Nissan Dealer to replace whole unit. Replaced with refurbished unit and sent old CD Changer off to Clarion. It is a Clarion problem and they are the only ones that can fix it. They sent my stuck CD's back after serveral months. Mine was covered under warranty thank goodness.

So, be careful when connecting battery cables on the Pathies with CD Changers. Don't spark the connection too many times.
  • potasnjpotasnj Member Posts: 2
    I was recetly diagnosed with a shot resonator. Actually Nissan diagnosed both front and back (part #s 20020 and 20010)totalling $1000 in parts alone. Is this something I should have Nissan take care of or take a chance with a shop. I do not have faith in any shops in Chicago I have been to. Also, one shop wanted what the parts are called as opposed to the Nissan part #s. Can you help me with those as well? Your help is appreciated.
  • laurendlaurend Member Posts: 1
    I took my truck in for an oil change and was told i had a leak in my cadelatic converter. Well I just took it to Nissan today to have it fixed, they said it was my resonator and that it was not covered by my warrant, i have a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder w/55K miles on it. they quoted me $610!! I am going to take it somewhere else before dishing out $610!
    When I bought the car I got about 270 miles to a tank. Started to see that slip a little after the 1st year I had the vehicle, but still around 240 - 250 mile/tank. Last winter and now this winter, I barely get over 210 miles to a tank. Dealer tells me it is "oxygenated" gas. Says, service stations use this gas during the cold weather and as a result, you get poor mileage. Can anyone confirm this or is it a bunch of BS?

Also, have been dealing with a tempermental SES light as I posted earlier. Could bad O2 sensors cause this loss of fuel ecomomy??
  • depdep Member Posts: 79
    I can give you the name and number of a very fine shop that is owner run in the Lincolnshire, IL area if you are interested.

We have had nothing but good experiences with him.

Let me know if you want the contact info.
  • nikiblue1nikiblue1 Member Posts: 44
    I have a 2001 nissan pathfinder 48K miles. About a year ago had an accident where they had to replace basically the whole left driver side suspension.

I'm now having problem with squeaking while turning on low speed with 4wd engaged.

I took it to two mechanics:

First one wanted to replace just the strut mount and second wanted to replace the cv axle, lower ball joint, and front wheel bearing.

I don't quite understand the mechanical portion of this problem. The nissan dealer stated (if I understood it correctly) that the pathfinder does not have a ball joint--has a strut instead.

Any suggestions/comments/solutions? any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Winter gas will reduce mileage slightly...and so will bad O2 sensors. I had been noticing a gradual but significant drop in fuel mileage over the last few months and suspected something was up. Sure enough, the SES light came on and didn't go off. I knew from a similar experience a year ago that it was probably the O2 sensors again. Took it in and they confirmed that the rear sensors were bad ( I think the front sensors were replaced last time). I'll be doing a back to back check on mileage to confirm improvement. If same as last time, it will jump significantly.
    I have a minor but annoying problem with my 01 Pathfinder LE. I've noticed that there is a weird "gap" in the steering feel when returning to the on-center position which is very noticeable when turning tightly, say in a parking lot. You can feel it almost like a bump in the steering feedback...with absolutely no noise associated with it...just the feel. The dealer also felt it and tried to tighten the steering rack. It is reduced somewhat but hasn't gone away. Any ideas?