Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• paulotterstedtpaulotterstedt Member Posts: 9
    I have a 1997 pathfinder, 5 speed manual, 4 WD, with 126,500 miles. I am trying to decide whether to keep the vehicle, which I like a lot. It needs new tires and exhaust work, and has a knock sensor problem and a minor coolant leak, I believe at a gasket associated with the intake manifold. Also, the CV boots are starting to crack. Recently, I have been noticing an unusual sound at low speeds. It is intermittent, and does not happen when the car is not moving. It seems to be worse when the car has been parked for a while. It is, like all sounds, hard to describe, but sounds kind of rubbery, like scraping or clunking. It comes from the front end. I have not noticed that it correlates with hitting bumps, releasing or depressing the clutch, shifting gears, etc.

Any thoughts what could be causing this? I am sitting on the fence whether I should get the tires and exhaust work done, but will probably get rid of the car if this most recent noise is something serious. My dealer told me not to worry about the coolant leak or knock sensor; just to use 89 octane gas and keep an eye on the coolant level.

Any thoughts about the noise and the wisdom of hanging on to this vehicle greatly appreciated.
  • mikeyg1mikeyg1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have a 199 SE Pathfinder. When I drive on the highway and the car shifts at about 45 a screeching sound (not a belt sound) comes out from under the car and then goes away as the car accelerates to 50 and beyond..Has anyone ever had a such a thing. My mechanic mentioned some cap on the undercarriage?
  • ftdftd Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Smokey75! Your post helps alot, however, I picked up the Bosch part number 15445. All the web sites I checked list that as the correct part, but the connector is different. For what is currently on the PF, the red cable leading from the sensor ends in, what I assume would be considered a a male connector, because it plugs into the other wiring. That male connector is narrow (green colored), while the 15445 part is wide and clearly won't fit. I'm wondering if I have the wrong part. The connector on the new Bosch 15445 is grey and has a "B" label on it, the sensor looks the same as what is currently on the PF. Can you tell me if this is correct. I'm really hoping I don't have to get into splicing the wires.

Thanks for any help.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I don't know. Mine was exactly the same as the factory one that was on there. You might try calling the place you got it from & ask them.
  • timcartertimcarter Member Posts: 1
    I've changed a lot of shocks over the years, but never had this problem. When removing the old shock on the left rear, the nut was seized (not unusual). After all the usual penetrating oil, banging, etc., the end of the upper bolt (3/4 of the threaded section) stripped off. This looks like a stud that goes back into the frame and I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim
  • lshesslshess Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a 2005 Pathfinder last week. Tonight while driving home at about 55 mph my daughter opened the back window and there was the horrible noise.
    I don't even know how to describe it, but it actually made our ears hurt. Once we opened another window it stopped. Has anyone else had this experience? And does anyone know what causes it?

Thanks
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Kind of a "thumping" sound? That sound is caused by the interior acting like a whistle - but at a very low frequency. The interior is a resonant chamber and the window is the whistles opening over which you blow air to make the chamber resonate. It's very common - both my Pathfinder and RX-7 do it. You can often stop it by finding a combination of other windows to open - e.g. on my Pathfinder if I open the sunroof it will attenuate the thumping. On a previous SUV, if I opened the hatch window an inch or so it stopped it. BTW, if you check the owners manual, you will note that the fuel economy is better if you use the A/C and keep the windows rolled up.
  • lshesslshess Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    BTW, if you check the owners manual, you will note that the fuel economy is better if you use the A/C and keep the windows rolled up.

At lower speeds where drag isn't a as much of a factor (ie. below 40mph) the opposite may be true. At higher speeds, the power loss due to the AC compressor is less than the drag created by the open windows. Then again, sometimes having the window open for "fresh air" is just nicer than AC, and maximum fuel economy isn't as important. ;)
  • dannymandannyman Member Posts: 5
    i have brought it in for service twice. they thought it was the lower engine cover one time and it was n't. the other time they were unable to find anything. i am going back a third time. also i am going to call nissan north america to see if they have any info.
    anyone else have a similar problem or solution?
  • betty5betty5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Hoping someone can help me out here? What is a New Jersey New Car Dealer Sticker? Is it just a sticker that you get when you purchase the car in New Jersey, or is it the sticker that you get when you register it in New Jersey?
  • _pparsons1_pparsons1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 nissan pathfinder and the dealer said that my check engine light is on due to a code 45 (fuel injectors). Any idea what this could be or how to fix? Dealer said it could be anything and left price to fix open ended? thanks.
  • tmeekstmeeks Member Posts: 2
    I have this same problem with my 05 SE Pathfinder. Have put it in the shop 6 times, and still not fixed. I also have a new rattle now in the back right corner of vehicle where drink holder is. Even had a technician ride in vehicle with me...he heard it faintly. Said he would tighten everything up. Still not fixed. Have contacted Nissan North America consumer affairs. They are not helping. Did you get yours fixed?
  • tmeekstmeeks Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else had this problem and been able to get it fixed? Have taken it in about 6 times, and still have rattle. Please advise.
  • bakejbakej Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever solve your problem?? I also have a '05, which had been trailering just fine. Now all of a sudden I can't get the t-lights to work. Checked fuse boxes next to glove-compartment and under the hood. Can't find any blown fuses.
    ????????
  • rich4matrich4mat Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 PF 4WD that intermitantly won't start. I have removed the alarm, put in a new starter motor - all to no affect. When the engine will not start you can hear a clicking sound from the fuse box under the hood on the passenger side. All electrics work when the key is turned. No rhym or reason to why it will start sometimes and not others. You can bump start it (it's a manual) whn it will not start, so my next thought was to replace the ignition switch, which is a little loose, but I don't want to waste more money to find I still have a problem.

Any ideas would be apprecieated.
  • munro1munro1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I have a 1995 Pathfinder and this morning began experiencing the exact same problem. If you receive some suggestions please let me know. Short term I'll be taking the vehicle to our mechanic for some ideas. I'll let you know what he tells me.

Tom
  • rich4matrich4mat Member Posts: 2
    The wonders of WD40! Take the cover off the steering wheel and undo the small screw at the back of the ignition switch. Pull out the block with the soldered wire connections and spray with WD40. Spay into the ingintion switch and every wire connection box you can see under the steering wheel. Then take out the fuse in the fuse box holder towards the front of the car under the hood on the passenger side, and spray this with WD40 as well. Problem fixed. Well so far so good at least.
  • duncamjduncamj Member Posts: 1
    Suspect what you are hearing sounds like a very loud, low frequency roar.... opening just one of the rear windows is causing a vacuum (basic physics at work).... put this one under the title "things you should have learned in school if you were paying attention".
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Rather than having to go through the usual state inspection process, NJ allows the selling (new cars only, not used) dealer to certify that the car meets inspection standards. The sticker is valid for 4 years. I don't beleive that dealers in neighboring states are authorized to participate in the program. I'm fairly certain that if you buy a new car from an out of state dealer, when you register it in NJ you are required to have it inspected, even if it's brand new.
  • dlb1dlb1 Member Posts: 1
    2003 6cyl Pathfinder w/4 wheel drive. After starting and putting in drive, when I stepped on the gas pedal there was no response. The engine did not rev up the car was moving forward but at idle speed. I tried all different forward/reverse, 4 wheel, etc re-started the engine, the engine is running fine but no response stepping on the gas! Had vehicle towed and the next day the vehicle is running perfectly. The day before this happened the service engine soon lite came on (and is still on)
    Thanks for your help! :sick:
  • dave6t2dave6t2 Member Posts: 1
    It seems to appear in a lot of older models. Have wrapped the jack in foam, wedged the spare latch under the bumper, but it's just there ?? as you have done, been to shop many times, they are baffled. Note, I have a nissan pickup also, which clunks when turning corners, nothing found when up on hoist, guees they are haunted
    Sounds like the throttle cable linkage or something in the throttle body could be broken. I don't see how having it towed (but not repaired) would have solved the problem.

Have the Service Engine Soon (MIL) computer code read by a local Autozone or Advance Auto Parts. It could also be the throttle position sensor.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    I wonder if the exhaust is hitting something. They do move around a bit.
  • rs4rs4 Member Posts: 25
    I have the same issue. It was diagonzed to be the pivot of the Parking brakes. This part is under the truck. The dealer had fixed it for me I'm still getting it. Need to take it again
  • doctorevildoctorevil Member Posts: 8
    Hey, saw your message. I have an 03 pathfinder SE, had the exact same problem. Went in to Nissan service they reset the computer, did some diagnostics and it worked. Next morning went out, same problem. Had to have it towed to the Dealer.

In short, the problem was the electronic throttle and it had to be replaced. I was out of warranty and for some reason (to avoid a recall?) they paid for a rental car for me for a week, did the repair free of charge and paid the towing bill.

Make sure you get it fixed properly. There appears to be no quick fix and it will leave you stranded somewhere if it is not repaired properly. Also, depending on your warranty status, if you raise the issue you should be able to get it fixed free of charge. They did that for me and I was expecting to pay for the repair.

Good luck.
  • bahraini_zuprabahraini_zupra Member Posts: 98
    hey guys my sister pathfinder suddenly wont cranck up it has 5000mileage and it has this weird icon an OIL PAN WITH 80 temp number ! what is it ?

plz help

thanks
    tmeeks; went back a 3 rd time . this time they changed the air plenium intake valve. that was not it either. fourth time tomorrow... regional rep. is going to call the dealer 9/10/2005. bbb auto line is my next step.
  • thotthot Member Posts: 1
    My boyfriend said when he drives specially on the highway, it feels like his 1998 Nissan Pathfinder SE is not accelerating properly. The speedometer says he's going 65 mph but it feels like he's car is much slower than that. Does anyone know what's wrong with his vehicle?
    Maybe it needs a tune-up? He can verify the speedometer accuracy with either a GPS receiver or by checking against another known-good speedometer (ie. another car pacing his vehicle).
    Only 5000 miles? Have it towed to the dealer for a warranty repair.
  • bingaspathybingaspathy Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Pathy SE that I recently purchased. I love it and when I first purchased I swear this problem was not occurring. When crossing over cracks in the interstate or lines in the road I hear a very low rumble coming from under the Pathy in the back. It almost sounds like the spare tire is loose because the noise is very rubbery, like a very deep "boing". Have checked the spare and it doesn't move at all. I notice this more when going faster or carrying more people, especially in the back. The Pathy drives and steers tight, and the suspension seems to be fine. I've been under the SUV and I don't see anything out of place.

This is my first time with a Unibody vehicle and I'm wondering it I am just a little more sensitve to the typical noises associated with this style of frame. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
  • trek74trek74 Member Posts: 1
    I noticed on our long trip(1200mi) last year that our 01 pathfinder started using oil. I have 53K mi on it and it had not shown any usage up till that time. Now every long trip we make out west I can count on adding a quart of oil. I have used Mobil1 5w-30 since we put 3K miles on the pathfinder . I know the synth oil makes a 10-12% improvement in gas milage, and lets the engine run cooler. I don't understand the usage. I've used synth in all my cars since it first came out. I never had any of the other cars "use" oil like this though.
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    you are probably leaking oil through your head gaskets. Synthetic is thinner than regular oil
    and this could be the cause. try searching some of the dedicated nissan forums.
  • 05pathfinderse05pathfinderse Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I also have a 2005 pathfinder SE with a rattle coming from the passenger side. I posted in the regular nissan pathfinder forum & two other people replied with the same problem. While my dealer has been unable to fix the rattle, they said their dealers diagnosed the problem by using a special microphone system which localized the rattle to a point where the firewall meets up with two other panels. The went on to say that the only way to get at the rattle (according to the dealer) would be to drill open the welds. Both are refusing this d/t safety concerns. They said there are nissan engineers working on the problem. As for me, I still have this terribly annoying rattle which comes from the passenger side (sounds like a tapping noise) it gets worse the longer you drive the truck. Strangely, it is absent until you have driven for about 15-20 minutes. After this I also have the added bonus of a constant squeaking noise coming from somewhere under the front of the truck. After my third visit to the dealer (who has been very friendly so far) a tech rode with me and heard both noises but could offer no suggestions as to what might be causing them.. I have yet another appointment next week. Will keep you posted. Good luck!
  • alredalred Member Posts: 1
    Engine service light burning steady. Code reads 1140. Will not reset. 2001 SE Pathfinder, 45k miles, runs fine. Gas cap seated properly.
    Request advice.
  • burdabitburdabit Member Posts: 5
    Hi

You can access Pathy Technical Service Bulletins for free at this site:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Index.htm

I believe there is a TSB for 02's on "bottoming out". You may want to have a look at it.

Good luck
  • burdabitburdabit Member Posts: 5
  • chasmanianchasmanian Member Posts: 2
    My daughter's car has had the same experience...occasionally a very big blast of smoke comes out when it's started...can't pinpoint when it's going to happen...besides that the car runs well. Dealer tested it, couldn't find anything wrong. Of course, while it was there, the car started like a charm.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Your left bank intake timing sensor has failed, a common problem with this vehicle. But it should be covered under the 80K mile emissions warranty.
  • _pparsons1_pparsons1 Member Posts: 2
    Have a 1994 Pathfinder SE. It idles at around 500rpms which is much less than it used to. What's worse is when I start it, it jumps up to 1000rpms but when it tries to settle back into it's idle it dies. So when I start it, I have to mash the accelerator a bit and slowly let off to idle speed. Also, it stalls slighlty when I press the gas to go at a green light and sometimes when I run the AC and pull up to a red light, it dies. Could this simply be an idle problem? Thanks.
  • trbochrgtrbochrg Member Posts: 7
    I have a rattle that seems to be coming from under the dash, sounds sort of metallic. Haven't been able to pinpoint it. I also have a rattling drivers side window when it is down to about halfway. Annoying though i am waiting to take it to the dealer for it's first oil change. Be happy you didn't have my problem, i had rain coming into my PAthfinder and they couldn't find the leak for 6 days!!! I had the car for 5 days, they had it for 6. At least that got fixed but what a pain in the [non-permissible content removed].
  • trbochrgtrbochrg Member Posts: 7
    This is common in alot of cars, it sounds like a low bass wind bufffeting. It is not really a problmem, it is just the wind coming in one window at a high rate of speed, and having no where to go so the pressure builds up and it "buffets" against the interior of the vehicle. Opening another window, or popping up the sunrood should help.
  • le02pathfinderle02pathfinder Member Posts: 2
    please help b4 warranty expires - Prob starting my 02 path

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my pathfinder wen i start it sometimes hesitates for 2-3 seconds before it finally kicks in and starts up, it sounds like its trying to crank during those 2-3 seconds

but this only happens 4 out of 10 times , its been hot out here in NY so its nothing to do with cold, my warranty is going to expire in 15 days and the stupid nissan service guys said they cant find nothing wrong with car, i think they just saying that to make me wait till it gets worse n loose out on my warranty , i just bought the truck n dont know bout its past history, bought it from a nissan dealer , now it has 40k

please if anyone could help me out i would appreciate it , thanks
    sal
  • jgeojgeo Member Posts: 1
    when headlights are turned on, the brake and bettery warning lights come on. What is the cause?
  • teeroteero Member Posts: 2
    I beleive it is the O2 sensor. It should be covered by the warranty
    The brake and battery warning lights are tied into the alternator charge circuit. Your alternator is dying. It can't supply sufficient current to both charge the battery and light the headlamps.
    Check this link for help on code P0171.
  • path97path97 Member Posts: 1
    while I am accelerating, even when I am on the highway, the truck just completely looses power and the engine stalls. I look at the RPM gauge and the needle is just dropping down then the dashboard lights come on and the car is off. I just had the distributer changed , the spark plugs , and the computer. Please help me it is still happening. :sick: