Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    I had the same problem with my '01 PF, and after several months the problem went away as mysteriously as it started. One thing to definitely check would be the sunroof drain, assuming your truck has a sunroof.
  • pathyman87pathyman87 Member Posts: 2
    HI, I have a 87 pathy V6 manual, and i have been having way too many problems with the secondary injection system, it idles fine, but when you drive it, it feels like it is being held back. I have replaced all of the rubber tubes because they have blown, and I have changed the filter. What am i missing? Is there a typical problem with this system? Can I cut off the system and change the cat? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • 05path05path Member Posts: 2
    Ok, I have the rattling noise solution!!
    There are clips in the door panels that get loose
    Solution: Have a tech silicone all the clips to stop the noise.
    Let me know when your rattle is gone :)
  • staceyhstaceyh Member Posts: 2
    My 1995 Pathfinder, NH resident, will not pass inspection because of its rusted frame. We asked several mechanics about possible solutions and no one wants to go near it! So, how can we get the most out of this situation, money-wise: donate it (we have the title) and hope to get a fair market value for tax time or sell it for parts? The PF looks great on the inside and out, we were shocked when we were told that it is uninspectable. Please advise!
  • stikup11stikup11 Member Posts: 1
    I am unable to open the lift gate on my 01' Pathfinder. The window is operating properly but he lift gate is reacting as if the lock mechanism is not unlocking. I do not hear the door unlocking. Is there any way to manually unlock or open the door?
  • wackjobwackjob Member Posts: 1
    replace the pcv valve.
  • pathman174pathman174 Member Posts: 1
    I would love to have these instructions on the re-wiring of fog lights, been wanting to do for a while, but had some earlier problems w/ fog light relay and was afraid to mess w/ b/c they're working now. But send instructions if you don't mind, Thanks!
  • mx5manmx5man Member Posts: 4
    On a 98 pathfinder the check engine light checked out with the scanner P1444 (purge volume control valve). What would be my best bet to fix the problem?
  • bcjacksonbcjackson Member Posts: 1
    I ran into the same problem with my 94 pathfinder XE, I brought it into my mechanic and he said it was a ignition wiring problem. Didn't have any relationship with the alarm or deactivating the alarm. So check that out it might be the solution.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    The purge volume control valve is shown in the photo below. It's the device attached to the end of the hose that's circled.

The first thing you should do is remove the purge volume control valve and disassemble it to see if it's clogged. If it's not, then it's very likely that the electrical parts of the valve have failed, and it should be replaced. If it is clogged, then that means that your EVAP canister has disintegrated and its contents have been sucked through the EVAP lines. This is not a good situation, and unless you're handy with tools and have an air compressor, it can be a very costly to fix. Post back with your findings if you want more info about how to repair the EVAP system.
    Could the purge volume control valve be located in a different spot because it doesn't look like the picture and couldn't find a valve that resembled the one in your picture. I appreciate all your help thanks.
  • prelude81prelude81 Member Posts: 3
    I have an '04 Pathfinder LE and sometimes (usually triggered by driving over a bump or sudden acceleration/braking) I hear a fairly loud noise (it's like a sharp click) coming from the front passenger area. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from but it sounds like the passenger seat is somehow binding in the track and then releasing and making the click noise. Has anyone heard of something like this? I tried greasing all the moving parts under the seat with no luck. Any help would be appreciated, it's driving me nuts... :mad:
    Hmmm, I'm not sure where the purge volume control valve is located on the '98. (The photo is from a '97.)

On the underside of the hood there should be a sticker that shows the vacuum line routing diagram. Look for the vacuum lines for the EVAP system. (The purge volume control valve controls the amount of vacuum, ie. "air volume" applied to the EVAP system to "purge" the EVAP canister of fuel vapor.) Hopefully the vacuum line attached to the intake manifold (circled in above pic) is the same on the '98, and you'll be able to follow the diagram well enough to locate the valve.
  • toms92toms92 Member Posts: 2
    recovered stolen pathfinder 92 by toms92 Nov 02, 2005 (8:07 am)
    Bookmark | Reply | Edit | Delete | E-mail Msg
    The thief also took the ignition disconnect device. Dealership wants 800 to replace, is there a way to by pass. Everything electrical works except getting the starter to engage. The device I thought was standard, any help would be appreciated. Due to the body damage that occured while stolen, the above cost in addittion to the 978.00 paid for towing and storage,(recovered while out of town) has me searching for the most inexpensive alternative.
    Thank you so much for your help, but they are going to take it to the dealership to make sure because the valve is over $200.00 and I want them to be sure of the problem. Thanks again.
  • sase2sase2 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my 2005 Pathfinder. It was handling fine but for some reason after I put air in the tires, especially the rear ones, when I drive over a bump the back of the truck just dances all over the road. I need to find out the reason for that. Has anybody else had that problem? :confuse:
  • juanmajuanma Member Posts: 1
    I have to remove the 10amp fuse to have the stop lights off
    Any ideas?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    How much air did you put in the tires? If you filled them to the "Max. pressure" indicated on the tire, that's your problem. Use the pressure on the sticker on the inside door post. You can add a few pounds to the pressures on that sticker.
  • grego4grego4 Member Posts: 1
    Can anybody figure this out ??? Cracked the passenger side manifold on my 97'3.3 ltr Pathfinder. Went to a salvage yard, found one, checked the vin on the doner truck, confirmed it was also a 97' 3.3 liter. But, of course..... its not exactly the same. Mine is an early 97, don't know if the doner truck is early or late or whatever.... would that make a difference??????
  • stnygrmstnygrm Member Posts: 1
    has anyone found a source for aftermarket exhaust parts for this an 01 pathfinder, i need to replace mine without taking out a second mortgage.
    any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • kilokilo Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 1994 Pathfinder. Only one headlight comes on in DaylightRunning mode. I want to have a look at the module which controls this function but I can't find it. Anybody kow where it is?
  • pcrowlespcrowles Member Posts: 11
    Someone help before I bring it in...

When accelerating there is a certain point (maybe 3k+ rpm around 20-25 mph) when there is a high buzzing sound from below the car (I think). It goes away when the rpms go down. Any ideas?
  • timh5timh5 Member Posts: 2
    2001 Pathfinder LE. 58,000 miles. Check engine light is on and dealership says it is a valve sensor. $390 for the repair. A buddy says they are ripping me off and the sensor is for emissions. The car is running fine. I read some other messages about going to AutoZone to get the codes, but I'm not real car savvy. Thoughts or help??
    Try the company below, who makes OBDII-compliant CA-legal aftermarket catalytic converters. Not sure if they've got '01 cats though.

I recently had both of my converters replaced to pass CA emissions on my '97 3.3L. They were totally melted. They cost only about $180 a piece (wholesale; resale lic. req'd). Work with an independent auto repair facility to install the cats; the dealer won't use aftermarket parts.

Converters West
    1669 Abram Ct
    San Leandro, CA 94577
    (510) 352-5030
    It may be true that you're getting ripped off, and yes, the sensor is for emissions. The CEL only glows when there are emissions-related problems. However, even if the truck is running fine, it's possible that the bad sensor (if that's what it is) can lead to lower fuel economy.

If you knew the code, you could determine what sensor system has the problem, and potentially determine the cost of the sensor itself. This will help you decide whether the dealer is being fair with you.
    Probably a loose exhaust shield rattling against the body or exhaust pipes.
    The high-beam filament on your headlamp is probably burned out. (DRLs light the hi-beam at a low current.) Turn the high-beams on to confirm.
    The 3.3L engines have a known problem with cracked manifolds. The manifolds are covered under a non-advertised 100,000-mile warranty. Sometimes even the studs can break.

How many miles are on your truck? The dealer will put a new one in if your truck is below 100K miles. Whatever you do, do NOT install a used manifold.

Depending on which side is cracked, the cost to put in a new one can be up to $400. The driver's side is much harder to do than the passenger side.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    If you look at the front of the engine you will see a black plastic cam angle sensor on each head. There have been a few reports on this forum about them failing self test. They cost around $180 for the part. I find $390 a little steep, as I suspect they are rather easy to replace, unless they are doing both. If both then most of that cost is in the parts.
  • timh5timh5 Member Posts: 2
    XplorX4/Pathstar:

Thanks a bunch!! I picked up the car before they did anything. I'll call the dealer and ask for the diagnostic code.
  • spot2spot2 Member Posts: 15
    Yeah the daytime running light module is located on the passenger fender directly behind the battery.
    I have discovered that I am not getting any power to the "accessory 2" section of my fuse block. This includes, rear window wiper, blower motor, rear glass release, air con.Wondering if the power runs through a relay before it goes to this section of the fuse block or could it be a fuseable link? Or am I totally off base?Any help is appreciated thanks.
  • efreedleefreedle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1993 Pathfinder SE w/ 115K on it. Approx one year ago had the starter replaced....doing great for this last year..quick/clean starts ! Yet, recently it seemed that the battery was getting weak...i.e if I left the rear hatch open ( with dog waiting to go for a ride in his kennel )....the light being on would drain the battery down. OK..replaced the battery...making sure the connections at the terminals were solid tight. The car started right up, and all of the dash displays were spot on. Four hours later I went to start the vehicle ...DEAD !
    Hmmm, tried to charge the battery w/ my charger..nothing...
    No dash warning lights, no fan...yet, head lights and power windows work fine ! What problem do I have here ??
    Is it a wiring harness issue that failed because of the NEW battery and was on the verge of going ( increased resistance )?? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated..Thanks !

Note: For those in the market for TIRES...the Michelin LTX M/S are awesome...1st set lasted about 80K and great in snow ! -Eric
    I have a '92 Se with the exact same problem. Seems to be the entire "accesory 2" section of the fuse block has no power to it.Wondering if you got any solutions to this?
    I've had the same problem and found it to be electrical. Check your relays and the connection on your coil. Not saying you are suffering from the same thing but it sounds like the same symptoms.
  • reddevil2reddevil2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 pathfinder that just stopped going in reverse suddenly????
    Obviously transmission but where?
    electrical?
    mechanical?

Where do I begin?
    Also where should I start looking for a used Pathfinder transmission???
  • shambuki4shambuki4 Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem I also have starter grind as well when I turn the key. My battery was old so I replaced it with a Dura- something from AutoZone all I know its like 1000 CCA and it worked fine for a month and now it starts good but I can never be sure when it will die again, I have 99 and its not a very dependable car. I have searched all over the internet there are alot of posts with people with the same problem but no answers, I have actually been able to jump it by removing the fuse cover and getting alittle spark by putting the jumper cable on the battery to the terminal on the fuse box and it will start right up so I know its not the battery I checked the lead from the battery to the alternator and that was corroded so cleaned it my starter sounds really bad on start up on some days and other days its fine. Please post back with any results or ideas
  • elbianelbian Member Posts: 10
    I just had my 91 PF rear frame rails repaired by an expert frame repair guy in my neck of the woods, which is SW Pennsylvania. Mine would not have passed inspection either but now it is fine. Had some big holes in the perimeter frame that surrounds the gas tank. Most shops are afraid of the potential for fire from welding so close to the fuel tank, and dropping the tank is cost prohibitive for them. If you have no fuel leaks near where the welding is required it quite possibly could be repaired. How bad are the rust holes in your 95 PF frame and where are they located? It may be a wise choice to fix them if the truck is otherwise in good shape and if you take it to someone who knows what they are doing. This guy that I found has done over 40 PF frames so he is quite the expert. I wouldn't give up on your PF just yet.
  • jcbsmbjcbsmb Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 PF 4wd 3.3l and just put it into 4wd to get it ready for the winter. Turns out that in a slow turn the engine loses power and tries to stall. Works fine in 2wd! What gives??

HELP!! :sick:
  • gil20gil20 Member Posts: 13
    Hi all. Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the wood trim on LE models (2003 specifically)? I removed it from an old SE and it worked great because it came from the factory without it. But LE's come from the factory with it, so I wonder if it's even possible. Anyone? Thanks! :D
    4WD on your truck is not designed to be used on pavement or any high-traction surface. The loss of power during tight turns is due to drivetrain binding, since the front and rear axles are locked together. Operating 4WD on pavement can potentially damage the drivetrain. At the least it will wear out your tires.

Read more about drivetrain binding in 4WD here.
  • mike111mike111 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm new here, I've had the same problem for about aweek. The rattling noise seems to be coming from the front of the car or the undercarriage. I just wanted to know how long did it take them to fix the problem and how much it cost. I'd really appreciate it if you can get back to me as soon as possible.
  • dave50dave50 Member Posts: 22
    1994 pathfinder 82k miles 5speed v6.
    Anyone out there know why i need to counter steer to the left when i hit the gas? It feels like a low tire or a body sway. It's weird! Yes the frame rails were welded and they seem solid enough. I checked the rear shocks and they are original so i disconnected the lower bolts and they check out ok. I did notice the right front shock seems weak. any ideas?
    Thanks
    Sounds like the rear suspension bushings may be worn out. Look at the horizontal bars that attach the rear axle to the frame. There are 5. At each attachment point, the bars, sometimes referred to as "control arms" or "links", have rubber bushings which deteriorate over time. There should be 2 lower links, 2 upper links, and a lateral link, or "panhard rod". When the bushings are worn (especially on the lower links), the rear axle can move out of position enough to make it "steer" the truck.

You can search google for replacement bushings using these phrases:
    "pathfinder poly bushings"
    "pathfinder lower link bushings"
  • 05path05path Member Posts: 2
    If you are replying to my post earlier, it took a few hours to get all the clips siliconed. It did not cost me anything as it is a brand new vehicle.
  • dave50dave50 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the reply,
    You are right on the money. It has a couple loose bushings on the right side lower arm. And thanks for the tip on locating new ones.

Thanks again.
  • gil20gil20 Member Posts: 13
    I was extremely close to buying a 2003 SE this week and just could not pull the trigger because the Bose sound was so poor. I brought a new CD on my test drive and couldn't believe how bad it was (and I know how to adjust the audio settings). I drove a few others with Bose and they were all terrible. I can't imagine how bad a tape would sound. Am I nuts? Is it the 6CD system? The speakers? OR both? Has anyone replaced the stock or Bose stereo with their own upgrade? THANKS! gil
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    I replaced my head unit with a Clarion VRX755VD. I kept the Bose amps and
    speakers (due to cost of replacement) and used an amplifier adapter. It sounds great!
    much better than the stock system.
  • bibby23bibby23 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I'm what you may call a newbie here. Just have a few questions. I just got my '05 SE a couple of weeks ago and, after the 2 day of driving it, my "Service Engine Soon" light comes on. I brought it back to the dealer ship, where they said they replace a valve part, and after that the warning light came off. After another couple of days of driving the warning light comes on again. Has any of you experiences this before?
  • hollywoodxxhollywoodxx Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get a help response to your query? I couldn't find one. I am having the same problem. Dome light and door open light on dash started blinking intermittently and now stay on all the time, so I have my dome light turned off.
    Does anyone know what is causing this? I have a 95 EX with the power sunroof. Sometimes it sounds as though something may be loose up there in the area behind the sunroof panel. Could that have something to do with it? Is it possible to pull back the roof lining to inspect up there and put it back so it looks the same?
    Thanks
    Joe