Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• xplorx4xplorx4 Posts: 621
    4WD on your truck is not designed to be used on pavement or any high-traction surface. The loss of power during tight turns is due to drivetrain binding, since the front and rear axles are locked together. Operating 4WD on pavement can potentially damage the drivetrain. At the least it will wear out your tires.

Read more about drivetrain binding in 4WD here.
  • Hello, I'm new here, I've had the same problem for about aweek. The rattling noise seems to be coming from the front of the car or the undercarriage. I just wanted to know how long did it take them to fix the problem and how much it cost. I'd really appreciate it if you can get back to me as soon as possible.
  • dave50dave50 Posts: 22
    1994 pathfinder 82k miles 5speed v6.
    Anyone out there know why i need to counter steer to the left when i hit the gas? It feels like a low tire or a body sway. It's weird! Yes the frame rails were welded and they seem solid enough. I checked the rear shocks and they are original so i disconnected the lower bolts and they check out ok. I did notice the right front shock seems weak. any ideas?
    Thanks
    Sounds like the rear suspension bushings may be worn out. Look at the horizontal bars that attach the rear axle to the frame. There are 5. At each attachment point, the bars, sometimes referred to as "control arms" or "links", have rubber bushings which deteriorate over time. There should be 2 lower links, 2 upper links, and a lateral link, or "panhard rod". When the bushings are worn (especially on the lower links), the rear axle can move out of position enough to make it "steer" the truck.

You can search google for replacement bushings using these phrases:
    "pathfinder poly bushings"
    "pathfinder lower link bushings"
  • If you are replying to my post earlier, it took a few hours to get all the clips siliconed. It did not cost me anything as it is a brand new vehicle.
  • dave50dave50 Posts: 22
    Thanks for the reply,
    You are right on the money. It has a couple loose bushings on the right side lower arm. And thanks for the tip on locating new ones.

Thanks again.
  • gil20gil20 Posts: 13
    I was extremely close to buying a 2003 SE this week and just could not pull the trigger because the Bose sound was so poor. I brought a new CD on my test drive and couldn't believe how bad it was (and I know how to adjust the audio settings). I drove a few others with Bose and they were all terrible. I can't imagine how bad a tape would sound. Am I nuts? Is it the 6CD system? The speakers? OR both? Has anyone replaced the stock or Bose stereo with their own upgrade? THANKS! gil
  • I replaced my head unit with a Clarion VRX755VD. I kept the Bose amps and
    speakers (due to cost of replacement) and used an amplifier adapter. It sounds great!
    much better than the stock system.
  • Hello,

I'm what you may call a newbie here. Just have a few questions. I just got my '05 SE a couple of weeks ago and, after the 2 day of driving it, my "Service Engine Soon" light comes on. I brought it back to the dealer ship, where they said they replace a valve part, and after that the warning light came off. After another couple of days of driving the warning light comes on again. Has any of you experiences this before?
  • Did you ever get a help response to your query? I couldn't find one. I am having the same problem. Dome light and door open light on dash started blinking intermittently and now stay on all the time, so I have my dome light turned off.
    Does anyone know what is causing this? I have a 95 EX with the power sunroof. Sometimes it sounds as though something may be loose up there in the area behind the sunroof panel. Could that have something to do with it? Is it possible to pull back the roof lining to inspect up there and put it back so it looks the same?
    Thanks
    Joe
  • Do you still happen to have the wiring diagram? If so, could you send it to me? Thanks.
  • I have a 94 pathfinder with the same problem. I have not found a solution but it appears that it is related to the window on the hatch or the hatch. If the light stays on and I push on the window it will usually shut off the light at least for a while. If you find a solution please let me know. I will do the same. Have you had any rusting problems with the underbody. Mine is shot and I have been told that it would cost $1,500 to repair.
  • ryandryand Posts: 1
    I have a 99 1/2 PF. When driving at any speed there is a loud noise in the front end, a hum. It almost sounds like tire noise, but I know for certain that it is not the tires. The steering wheel has also began to vibrate at speeds above 50MPH. Any guesses?
  • Hey its me again I figured it out I think I used my idea of jumping my own battery and the truck seems to work great the windows roll down better the lights work better then ever and my radio stations are all the same. well if any one wants pictures just email me and I will send picts later
  • spot2spot2 Posts: 15
    I have a '92 SE, 5spd. My cig. lighter, blower motor, rear hatch switch, and rear wiper have stopped working.I have found that I am not getting any power to a section of the fuse block called accesory 2.I have noticed a couple of people on here with the same trouble but have not seen any answers.Wondering if anyone has any clues?
  • I have a 95 SE pathfinder, in which I have recently spent a bundle on replacing the manifolds and timing belt(which of course means water pump,etc). A couple of days after I did this the drivers side door handle broke. I went ahead and bought a replacement, but before I try to install it, does anyone know if this is going to be a compicated process. I am not even sure where to begin dismantling the door to be honest, but I am not in the mood to pay more money on something that could probably be done at home. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
  • I have a 2002 Pathfinder that frequently bellows a big cloud of white smoke when it is started after sitting for several hours. Doesn't do it when the engine's warm, only on a cold start, but not always.

The dealer has checked the head gasket, and it's ok. Doesn't appear to be any oil leaks. They cannot explain why it is happening, and can not re-create the problem, although they saw the smoke cloud the first morning that I brought it in. Seems to only happen after it's cooled off for several hours after it's been driven the day before.
  • I own A 2003 Pathfinder and recently I started to experience an unusual problem.
    I was driving one day and all of a sudden the car stopped responding. The engine was idling, but hitting the accelerator did not do anything. The car was just rolling. I pooled over and again hitting the accelerator did not do anything but the engine was still running. I put it in park and now the engine was responding normally, back in drive and again the engine would not respond. I stopped the engine and when I tried to start it again the battery seem to be dead and I couud not start it. I had to tow it home. At home I hooked the battery to a charger, recharged the battery and the car started like nothing happened. I drove it to Nissan Dealership; they tried to locate the problem but did not find anything. Just incase, thinking that I may have a bad battery I bought and installed a new one. For about five days and around 100 miles the car worked fine and then exactly the same happened again. I called a tow truck towed the car home recharged the battery and in the morning drove it to another Nissan Dealership. In this dealership they also could not find the problem.
    Did anyone experience anything like that? I would appreciate any input on the matter

Thanks
    David
    It sounds like your alternator isn't charging the vehicle. Your truck's been basically running on the battery alone. At some point the battery voltage drops too low for the computer to function properly and the ignition coil can't fire the spark plugs anymore.

What tests have you done to verify that the alternator is working properly? What's the battery voltage while the engine is running? (A voltmeter should register somewhere between 13.6-14.4 volts.)

If this happens again, next time have the vehicle towed to the dealer instead of going home first and charging the battery. If the dealer still can't find the problem, take the vehicle to a different dealer (or another licensed auto repair facility).
  • I did not do any tests but the two dealers I’ve been to told me that the alternator is fine.

:sick:
  • alkcalkc Posts: 9
    Can anyone recommend a repair facility in the San Francisco (preferably North Bay) area? Thanks
  • I have a 2005 pathfinder 4x2 and there is a high pitched whine which appears to be from a belt or something spinning on the motor. The main problem is the noise doesn't happen all the times the motor is on. It's pretty loud and is kinda embarrassing. Please help.
    It's fairly easy to get inside the door. Keep your window down .Unscrew the pop up door lock button.Remove the handle on the inside,there are some screws underneath and in the area that you pull on, then slide it forward, also have to remove the power window controls etc..you'll need a thin, screwdriver to pry that up then unplug it.Then pull the door cover away from the door working from the bottom then up the sides, then push it up and off.The re-attach the window controls to put your window back up and you can pull away the plastic moisture barrier and your inner door is there. It's not as bad as it sounds, but that's what is involved.
  • Hey folks,we just purchased a new '05 Pathfinder.I noticed water on the drivers side floor under the mat and the fan is noisy.Took the truck to the dealer and they could not find a water source and they dont know what to fix in the fan.I read on here about a TSB for a blower motor cover but could not locate a TSB for it.They also said the sun roof drains were fine.Any help?Thanks.
    Hi there; re my previous message. I just noticed yours is a '95. Mine is a '92. I was going to say you would also need to remove the plastic cover behind the lock release lever and the door pull slides backwards not forwards as I had previously mentioned. However I guess considering we have different years It my not be applicable.Still it's not an impossible job to do. Hope you get your problem solved.
    The water on the floorboard could be caused by the AC condensate not being able to drain.

Try another dealer for the fan blower motor issue.
  • :sick: Hello Everybody, i'm new at this forum, and i would like to receive some opinions. I Have a Pathfinder 2003, 4WD, and i have a problem with the acceleration of the car, when i'm driving and i accelerate the car up to 2,500 RPM (it doesn't matter the speed that i'm driving) the acceleration just stops there, Automatically, and make me accelerate gradually, without exceeding the 2,500 RPM. Some local agency told me that i need to replace the computer, and the cost of it is 2,000 Dollards (Too high) do you had any opinion, or recommendation? I'll Appreciated very much.
  • I recently switched from 2WD to Auto/4WD(Hi)due to the snowy conditions here in Michigan. We kept it in 2WD all summer when the roads were dry. When shutting off the vehicle it makes a loud clunk noise. It sounds like the transmission or Transfer Case has dropped out !. It seems to drive fine at all speeds in 4WD setting, No noise. Only when the vehicle is shut-off. Switching back to 2WD, there is no clunk at sut-off. Any thoughts...? Thanks...
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Posts: 1,015
    It's normal. Mine has done it from day one (June 2000 when I got it). It's the Auto 4WD system disengaging. If you let it sit in park with the engine running, it will also disengage after about 5-10 sec. Notice that it also lurches about 1/2 to 1" when it "clunks", even if the e-brake is engaged - just to warn you not to park it touching something.

The auto 4WD system uses a multiplate clutch to engage the front diff., and when disengaging the hydraulic pressure must be released.
  • hi there,

sounds like you have theexact problem that i have, sometimes there is smoke when you start up and sometimes there is not....i have spent almost a year and a bit trying to get my orignal dealer to acknowledge the problem but was always told it is normal...ya right...i found a second dealer that has put me on an oil consumption analysis test and i take my truck in every 2000 km so they can check how much oil it is going thru...so far tey are being coperative in trying to help me and on the side one of the mechanics told me nissan has an engine problem that they dont want to acknowledge...this mech says he has heard that they have replaced 25 or so engines