Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Smokey, I've always filled mine until fresh grease appears at the cover...just the same as if you were greasing a ball joint, tie rod end, etc.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I've always filled mine until fresh grease appears at the cover...just the same as if you were greasing a ball joint, tie rod end, etc.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean. What cover will fresh grease appear at?
  • kprimekprime Member Posts: 2
    Any codes? Sounds like related to the idle airflow bypass or the temp controlled idle arm. is it a 3.3L V6?
  • smashfindersmashfinder Member Posts: 2
    I have a '95 XE with 101,000 miles and my plug foul almost instantly and there is a very strong gas smell under hood while cranking. There are no leaks and all of the plugs looked the same-very black, wet, and lots of fuel. I thought it maybe be a sensor telling FI that it was cold and to dump fuel but I can't find anything. Any help would be great thank you in advance.
  • smashfindersmashfinder Member Posts: 2
    Does the 1995 have an OBDII plug anywhere? I cant find one under the dash.
  • goannadundeegoannadundee Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    Im tring my best to locate the fuel filter so that I can replace for sevicing.
    Can some body tell me where it is?
    Where is it located? :confuse:
    please
    Greg
  • shane13shane13 Member Posts: 1
    Using 10/30 now, anybody know if 20/50 is recommended now (at 134,000 mi) ? Good idea? Personal experience etc??? Thanks!
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I have a 2001 and don't have it with me to check but I seem to remember it's located underneath near the rear of the vehicle.
  • 01pf_se01pf_se Member Posts: 10
    yes its near the rear driver side tire towards the center of the vehicle.
  • pathguypathguy Member Posts: 4
    any one know how to take out torsion bars out
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    Anyone know what this normally means?
    It means that there is a trouble code stored in your engine's computer. A scan tool is needed to read the code, and there are something like 100 different codes. As a free service Auto Zone will read the code for you and tell you what the code means.
  • riverknollriverknoll Member Posts: 12
    I have a 98 PF with 129K miles and SES light came on Friday after work. Checked this site all references are with emission and loose gas cap, so didn't pay too much attention was hoping after 6 starts the light would go away. Never made it that far. The same night after the 3rd starts, the 4th did not. So I had it towed to local repair shop until tomorrow when they open. The car cranks but it won't catch. Had a similar problem 3 years ago but it was attributed (so they told me) to my auto remote car start system. Had it disable since then until latest epidsoe. Last time there was no SES or warning, the engine just ceased while I was driving. At least this time the SES light came on, and whenever the light comes on, it usually will cost some $$.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    Yikes. I'm sorry about your difficulties. Mine has been on for a month or more and the car feels fine. I'll take it to AutoZone to see what they say.
  • riverknollriverknoll Member Posts: 12
    Update to my 98PF. Thought maybe the catalytic converter was clogged so the car wouldn't start, and the check engine light (emission related?). Got the bad news that it was the distributor, which is more habitual for Honda than Nissans. Anyway, a new one at $460 plus labor and tax, OTD price was $650. I guess it is cheaper than 2 car payments.
  • annaletannalet Member Posts: 2
    I have a wonderful 1995 Pathfinder but for the last year I have been struggling with this. The door ajar light comes on..sometimes it stays on other times it flickers on and off. It may go for days without coming on or stay on for days at a time. We adjusted the driver door whose hinge had become damaged from years on leaning on the door when getting out. The back driver door button sensor had a damaged rubber coating so we taped it down to see if that was the problem. It did not make a difference. Oddly having weight in the back hatch section seems to make it worse so we think it may be the hatch sensor(wherever it may be)
    I am at my wits end because I can not use my alarm or my dome lights.
    Any thoughts or advice
  • dmurr3dmurr3 Member Posts: 11
    Hi Jackie. Did you get this issue repaired? I'm experiencing the same problem with PO420 and PO430 and curious to see what you did to fix it. I searched this forum and found the following posting from a member in 2005: "Two of the stored codes (P0420 and P0430)indicated that the two catalytic converters had failed. The service writer told me that Nissan issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about this. He suggested before replacing the converters at $900 each, that they try updating the calibration on the engine computer (ECM) pursuant to the TSB, but that it would cost me $165. The good news is that the repair is apparently successful." Thanks!
  • efflandtefflandt Member Posts: 5
    I would suspect that the door ajar might be the switch for the rear hatch. Just the other day I had the door ajar light and flickering interior light with my 2001 PF, and just had not slammed the rear hatch tight enough (appeared to be closed, but not quite).

And shane13, I cannot see a need to use thicker than Nissan recommended oil unless you really abused your 95 PF and it is consuming quantities of oil. The first weekend I had my 95 Maxima SE (May 94) I took it to the dragstrip to see what it would do, dual laps around a gokart track (Solo II), and high speed autocross on a 2 mile road racing track. But despite competition driving take care of it, so any thicker oil is not needed 13 years later (no engine, clutch, trans, or diff problems, except injectors and O2 sensors).

The Maxima has been the most durable and fun car I ever had. So I had no reservations purchasing the 2001 Pathfinder SE when 3 years old @ 99,000 miles for half the price of a new 2004, which is also a pleasure to drive and reliable.
  • pathguypathguy Member Posts: 4
    i cant find the electrical plugs where they go if some one can take some pics of there transfer case
  • mojobagginsmojobaggins Member Posts: 15
    My 2001 just failed the Emissions Inspection in MA. I also got P0420 and P0430 codes. I've taken it to two different places and both say the catalytic converters are bad and need to be replaced. Sadly, I'm at 83k miles (3k miles pass warranty) and neither the dealership or consumer affairs will help me.

Three places I've contacted have all given quotes of around $1.8k to replace both cats. All three places also won't use aftermarket cats as they won't meet MA and CA emission standards.

Has anyone used aftermarket cats and still passed the emissions test?
  • pftroypftroy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 pf. At high speeds or when it is hot (engine temp) the engine runs rough and looses power. If I run it at high rpms the problem goes away. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be the cause of the problem? Thanks Troy.
  • rlargrlarg Member Posts: 1
    I ran autoscanner on 1997 Pathfinder, code was P0340. I checked fuses,connections, then replaced distributor with new factory distributor. I still could not get any result and ran the scan again,I got the same code. I need some suggestions.
  • rabi504rabi504 Member Posts: 15
    I just want share my experiance with nissan. I won 2003 Pathfinder and have about 60000 miles on it. I have not experience any trouble with it since I bought it new.
    Recently I have noticed that when I start my car it makes a funny noise. I took it to tthe mechanic, and he thought it maybe may be my muffler or catalytic converter. So i go to meineke they told me my catalytic converter cracked and I can feel air comming out of it as I placed my hand around it !! It made me very sad since it is only 4.5 years old and I took care if it like a baby. Any how per meineke it should be covered by warrenty, and I veryfied it by llooking at the warrenty book let.

I took it to the nissan dealer. They call me about 3hours latter that it is not the catalytic converter rather down hose? which is not covered by warrenty. So if I want to fix it, it will be 300.29. So at this time I am out 90.00 since dealer will not look in to the car unless I pay the service fee, incase it is covered by warrenty they will not charge me the fee. so I told them to fix the car.
    I go to pick up my car, I look under the car, all they did they patched my catalytic converter. So from my knowledge all they fixed the catalytic converter but calling it down hose. I go to the service manager argued with him for 30 minuites result is nothing.
    I call NISSAN !! A day latter Joston Gustove calles me back from nissan, she is telling me the same thing what dealer told me . Here I lost trust On nissan SHE HAD NO INTEREST IN LETTING ME SPEAK OR LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY. I even offered to send her a picture of the work they did. She just keep ignoring me and was very rude.
    dealer may be rude or may not care for customers concern, but when the central treats customer like dirt that makes me sad and not to buy their product any moor.
    So be very care full about their customer service, in future I will definately take my 30000.00 some where else, even though I love my pathfinder very much.
  • alwaysbusyalwaysbusy Member Posts: 11
    I had a similiar experience with "nissan north america" re: my 06 Pathfinder, bought in March 06. It had a serious (I considered it so, seeing as I stalled in heavy traffic x1, and on the freeway) problem with (basically) the "DTE feature not functioning properly". The gas-level-meter would say I had 1/8 tank gas, I was on my way to get gas, (twice) when the DTE flashed ----'s and I flat ran out of gas right then and there.
    I did end up getting the problem fixed at the local dealer (it took 5 - count'em 5 - visits) but the fact that Nissan North America wouldn't /couldn't help me was laughable. After awhile I started to enjoy the game.
    RECAP:
    * In September 2006, NNA sent a satisfaction survey. After waiting while my various problems with the vehicle were addressed. I sent it back with lots of feedback involving customer service. I felt, having paid 32k+ for this car, that I deserved better.

*before sending it back to NNA, I cc'd the local GM to see if he would take care of my issues and make it up to me (free oil changes maybe?)

* I was never contacted by the GM. After being ignored, I sent the survey back to NNA.

*I did get a response, from “KEISHA”, who said a file had been opened and she would be in touch.

* She did get in touch, but the end result (December 06) was that “there was nothing Nissan North America could do”. The GM at the dealership would not respond to her. I said "How Sad" that someone who works for you, should be so flippant as to not respond to a customer, let alone! "corporate".
    I also had a "braker calper" problem; fixed under warranty. And some other problems involving the fog lamps being knocked out of alignment and they wouldn't fix those 'under warranty'. Needless to say the customer is not their first priority.

The 06 Pathfinder, after those initial problems, has been pretty much fine. Was going to go for the Honda Pilot but I do like the features this car has.
  • whipsplacewhipsplace Member Posts: 2
    Anyone experiencing downshift or upshift roughness around 35-42 MPH? If so - any ideas how to rectify? Also, steering is very difficult, ie. steering wheel jerks back and forth after passing either front wheel over minor pavement flaws! Anyone know if there is a fix or recall yet.

Thanks,

Whip, New Member
  • frrussrefrrussre Member Posts: 41
    I have 2007 SE loaded AutoV6 15000 miles. Shaking steering, after going over twig, bump, stone in road since new. Dropping in and out of gear at 40 mph, when I momentarily remove foot from accelerator & then re accelerate, since few thousand miles on clock. Dealer says both are normal. My truck has multiple annoying problems, when pulling away from stop a creaking noise from rear right side, front window rattles when half open. Rattle on back door when closing. Dealer has not fixed any of the problems, "Normal or can't find" that’s their answer.
    Forgot, the noisiest windshield wipers, “clonk clonk”, back & forth.
    Tired of it. For Japanese not well made. I need to try new dealer.

Reg. Frank R.
  • annaletannalet Member Posts: 2
    Do you know where the switch is for the hatch? I have been struggling with this for about 2 years. It has been in the shop several times and it is not fixed yet. And no one seems to know where the sensor is for the hatch.
    Before you spend that kind of money, talk to your dealer (or other repair facility if they have access to Nissan TSB's). Nissan issued a TSB several years ago that instructs the dealer to re-program the engine computer so that it does not prematurely think that the converters are worn out. My dealer charged me a couple of hundred dollars to do so. Sure beats the price of new converters! That was 3 years/30K miles ago, and the problem never returned. But there is a problem...what's really rotten is that Nissan should be making this repair for free irrespective of the age or mileage on the vehicle, since obviously there was something amiss with the software program the day our trucks left the factory, even if it did not reveal itself until after the warranty period. I wrote a letter to Nissan pointing this out and asking for a refund, and guess what...they never even responded. After being treated like that I hope they realize that I'll ever consider buying another Nissan product again. Anyone know of a plantiff's attorney specializing in class action suits? I'd be willing to be the lead Plaintiff in the matter.
  • dtbajdtbaj Member Posts: 9
    We currently have our 2008 Pathfinder V6 at the dealership for the second time because of the rough up/down shifting. We are getting the "that's just normal" routine from the service techs. It's not normal. I think we made a big mistake with this purchase. You live and you learn.
  • fredts2005fredts2005 Member Posts: 1
    How do I remove the starter?

Fred
  • lensamlensam Member Posts: 1
    I have been getting the same problem with rough up and down shifting between 35 to 40 mph. The dealer says there is no bulletin out yet, but after showing him 12 posts on the computer from various areas of the country and calling nissan they say a fix is coming but they have to make sure it will work. They do admit to the problem and are working on it. When is my question, it is very annoying and I'm also not a happy camper. Keep on posting.
  • budmantombudmantom Member Posts: 33
    On a 2001 Pathfinder with the 3.5 what is the service interval with the timing chain?

Thanks,

Tom
  • mehstmehst Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 4wd Pathfinder SE. It makes a loud clunking after coming to a stop and needs a new final drive (the term for the rear differential on the P-finder I understand). Dealer says the gears are worn out and wants $3100 to replace it ($1300 for the entire final drive).

I was looking to get a remanufactured final drive - Jasper Inc. doesn't have any but 4x4 parts does: (http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop/index.php3?page=shop/browse&category_i- d=ccf6e8ad62e6ee964eaf951a3e82ccdb&ps_session=703035c25c2e3ae3780cb472e8dfc2c0)

I'm not sure this is the same as the stock final drive. Does anyone know if this is the correct part to fix the final drive???

Thanks for any help!

Mike
    Tom, what do mean by "service interval"? The timing chain requires no normal maintainence.
    I've never heard of the term "final drive", but these would be wild prices for rebuilding a rear differential on a Pathfinder.
  • budmantombudmantom Member Posts: 33
    I mean when do you replace them, I know belts generally last 60k.

Thanks,

Tom
  • mehstmehst Member Posts: 2
    shark715 - thanks for the reply. I think these prices are way out of hand.

After more investigating, I think the final drive on a PF includes the differential and assembly (meaning ring and pinions, and bearings). I may be a bit confused still.

Looks like I can get the labor done for about $500 at a good shop (vs. $2000 at the f-in dealer!!! (Brown's nissan, Arlington, VA ;)) and I'll probably go with a used final drive to save another $500 or so on the part. With my fingers crossed.
  • kris2kris2 Member Posts: 51
    I have a 2001 LE and the digital clock goes off sometimes and comes back with no obvious reasons. Its been off most of the time these days. I have read some posts where they said the clock needs replaced and possibly look at junkyards to save some money. I wanted to hear from anyone who actually got it changed at a dealer or did it themselves so I know how much time and money I need to spend.

Thanks in advance for the help.
  • kris2kris2 Member Posts: 51
    By the way I found these pictures when I did a google to figure out how to pull the vents/clock. There was another post with a link but that link now requires $4.99 for the instructions. Thought some of you might find this useful.

http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/pathfinder/
  • wayn6wayn6 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 PF LE with 100,000K miles on it. At times it will start and stall. Sometimes I have to re-start it 5 or 6 times. This happens both cold & hot.
    When it finally keeps running, it runs fine. Any ideas?
  • brett15brett15 Member Posts: 1
    I am changeing my timing belt on a 1993 Pathfinder. Does anyone know how to "lock" the harmonic balancer pulley so that the bolt which holds the timing pulley attached to the crankshaft can be removed?
    Thanks,
    Brett15
    Thank you so much for the confirmation. We were beginning to think we were crazy. I can't believe a mature model like the Pathfinder could have problems like this. We are also experiencing vibrations underneath the vehicle and a louder than it should be noise and vibration from the a/c fan. We are very disappointed with the vehicle and I hope they can fix the problem. Thanks again.
  • designsbygabbydesignsbygabby Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I bought a '87 Pathfinder 4x4 that had a rebuilt engine... it ran great the first two weeks (after I got an oil change of course) and now I'm having serious issues.. will be driving along and the engine seems to loose compression or something the tacometer just drops to nothing and it almost dies but usually keeps going after the gas is let off a little. :cry: on other occasions it will drive to the store just fine only to not start when we come out :confuse: it gets towed home and then starts the next day. The fuel pump is working, the fuel filter is good... any ideas for my sick pathy? :sick: please help! thank you!
  • saknjmomsaknjmom Member Posts: 26
    I have had 5 pathfinders, have loved them all. Changes were always good ones. However, I turned in my 2005 (which I LOVED) for 2008. I was told that there were no changes beside cosmetics.
    NOT TRUE. I hate the transmission on this car, it is loud and it shifts much differently.
    I have asked the dealer to look into it, they say there were no major changes. I contacted a relative who is an executive at nissan. He says his guys say there were no changes.
    Anyone else having problems? I drove my 05 62,000 miles. I know what my car felt like. My husband also feels that it is much different (not in a good way).
    Someone posted about a change in horsepower, that is a result of manufacturers having to change the way they report horsepower. (as per Nissan corporate.)
    I have 4x4 and am very upset with the transmission/shifting. I had a 2005 which was fantastic. I am told this car should be the same, it is not. Also, do you notice that if you take your foot off the gas, the car loses momentum very quickly? I am so disappointed in this car. I have had a new pathfinder every 3 years since 1994 and have never had ANY problems. My 05 was the best ever. I am very upset that they keep saying 08 should drive EXACTLY like the 05. NOT TRUE
  • jd77777jd77777 Member Posts: 3
    I have read numerous posts on edmnds consumer reviews for the 08 pathfinder related to the transmission torque converter. This seems to be a rather common problem which causes the transmission to shift down hard when releasing the accelator at around 40 mph. I am considering purchasing one but am hesitant since this seems to be a real issue
    can you tell me where these reviews are?
    I know I'm not crazy. I drove my 2005 over 60k. My husband had the exact opinion that something is different between 05-08 and it's not good!
  • jd77777jd77777 Member Posts: 3
    http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/pathfinder/2008/consumerreview.html?tid=edmunds.n.- crrindex...1.Nissan*

under the carreviews tab on the edmunds.com site, lookup 2008 pathfinder and there are about 19 reviews posted.

below is the text from one but there seems to be a recurring theme related to the transmission shifting at or about 40mph.

Vehicle
    2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
    Review
    SUV has very nice features and more than enough power. We bought it on a Saturday, drove it during that weekend and noticed the hard downshifting when letting off the gas pedal at approx 40 MPH. Took it back to dealer Monday and service person rode with us. He said that there was a sensor that needed to be replaced. This did not fix our problems. The service dept said there is no fix at this time. They still do not have a solution.
    Favorite Features
    Nice leather pkg, steering wheel controls and backup camera. Bose stereo rocks!!
    Suggested Improvements
    Build a car with a decent transmission or fix it before it goes into the market place. Air bags are not standard on the SE model so for safety we had to move up into a whole different price range, the LE.
    Thank you. I think what these people are describing is what I'm hating about this car.
    I am taking it in on Thursday and I'm requesting to drive another one on their lot to see if I can notice any difference.
    We are taking our 2008 LE V6 Pathfinder back to the dealership for the third time for this very issue. The ride is terrible. We are very disappointed and Nissan should be ashamed of a product like this. If you find out any solutions let me know but I don't think they can fix them.