Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• yidal8yidal8 Member Posts: 1
    what is the recommended interval to change fluid in the transfer case of the 2003 LE? Also, what type of fluid should be used.
    I have 75,000miles on mine, and obviously never changed that fluid....
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Changing the transfer fluid is not specified by Nissan
  • 99accent99accent Member Posts: 237
    the tune up recomended in the manual, at 103K whats the whole thing consist of and how much Mulla$ :surprise:
    true its so thick and it lasts forever ,sort of like a self seald bearing ;)
  • adolfolamelaadolfolamela Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I need to change the brake pads of my 2002 pf. With the economy how it is I think its best if I do it myself. Is it difficult or treacky and do I need any special tools in order to get the job done?? How do I do it, is there a site that I can go to that will be able to help?

Thanks for the info.
  • amorenoamoreno Member Posts: 4
    I'm driving a great 2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE 2x4 with 142K miles on it. I keep seeing these commercials on tv like stoprepairbills.com and it got me thinking...if i plan on driving my car for another 3+ years, should i seriously consider getting an extended warranty? do any of you have experience, advice, or insight to share with me? i've had a rough past couple of years in terms of saving for a rainy day, so i'm worried that a major repair to my great but ageing car might bite me in the butt if a major problems occurs with my car. another question, if i do go with an extended warranty, tell me what you think i should be paying a month so i don't get ripped off. i appreciate your answers and the great knowledge on these boards. thanks.
    I would read the fine print on those warren tees,some times it dont pay with over 125,000 on the car. and sometimes the coverage is only for the drive train.
  • dmurr3dmurr3 Member Posts: 11
    Hi Amoreno,
    I have zero expertise with this question; I'm just going to share my personal opinion. I've almost always felt that extended warranties are a waste of money, with an exception being a warranty on new, unproven technology. That said, I haven't done any research on these new warranties you mentioned, so I'm not sure how good they are.

Here's some info on my 2001 Pathfinder with 110k, in case you find it helpful...I've tracked the cost of nearly every repair I've done on the truck, such as new belts, oil changes, bulb replacements, wipers, tires, sensors, you name it. Based on the age of the truck as compared to the total cost of all maintenance and repairs, I'm paying on average $60/mo. to keep this truck running. This figure does not include gas, inspection, insurance, etc.

There are a thousand variables that go into a calculation such as this. However, overall I think I do a good job of keeping up with routine maintenance to prevent unnecessary repairs while not doing the excessive maintenance a dealer might recommend. I do most minor maintenance myself (oil changes, coolant flush, bulb replacement) which will keep the cost down vs. someone who is dependent on a mechanic to do all the work. The rest I leave to my mechanic who is fair about what he charges.

For comparison, my wife's 2005 Honda CRV with 85k costs us about $35/mo. and my father's 2001 Sante Fe with 120k costs him about $50/mo.

I don't know if this helps you or not. Again, tons of variables come into play with my calculation. But I think this type of calculation is overlooked by most car owners. For me this is a great way to budget for repairs. For you it might give you a general idea as what to expect in terms of monthly cost to keep your truck running. I believe the 2000 Pathfinder is very similar to the 2001 Pathfinder. For the most part, the repairs I've made to my Pathfinder are pretty much on par with what other 2001 Pathfinder owners have had to have done (except for when i was broke and bought cheap tires. That one cost me!) But all things being equal, my guess is you should expect to pay at least $60/mo. to keep your Pathfinder on the road. If I were in your spot I would budget even more than that given the miles you have on the truck. Perhaps compare that to what a warranty may cost you per month.

I hope this is helpful. And if you opt against the warranty and your transmission drops next week, you never read this posting.....

Anyone else do this for their Pathfinder? It would be great to see what others have come up with...

Dave
  • countrygirl403countrygirl403 Member Posts: 4
    Trouble started right after fueling. Running rough, then quit completely. Thought it was fuel pump, so had it changed. Started several times, drove about 30 miles, then would not start again. Mechanic removed cables, then started several times and quit again. No codes are showing up on computer. We have no clue where to start. Any ideas?
    EITHER TAKE IT TO AUTO ZONE OR A PARTS PLACE THAT CHECKS IT FOR FREE, OR TO THE DEALER AND THEY HAVE TO DIAGNOSE IT THROUGH THERE COMPLETE DIAGNOSTIC CENTER, IT SEEMS LIKE THE FUEL PUMP IS BEING SHUT OFF AND THATS USUALLY WHEN YOU HAVE A REMOTE STARTER AND STEP ON THE BRAKE PEDAL THEN IT SHUTS OFF THE FUEL PUMP BUT IF YOU DONT HAVE A REMOTE STARTER ITS SOME THING TO DO WITH A CONNECTION TO THE FUEL PUMP IF THE PUMP HAS 2 WIRES THE BLACK ONE YOU CAN GROUND TO CHASSY AND THE RED ONE UP TO THE BATTERY TERMINAL red ONE TO + THIS WILL KEEP THE PUMP ON IF THE PUMP DONT RUN ITS A BAD PUMP IF YOU HEAR IT RUNNING THEN START IT ,IF IT KEEPS RUNNING THATS IT A SHORT OR NO CONNECTION IN THE ORIGINAL WIRE HARNESS, [NOTE] TO SHUT THE ENGINE OFF DISCONNECT THE PUMP FIRST THEN THE KEY INGINITON KEY 2ND. lol
    I have heard the if the oil is say 10W30 there's not a big gap between the 10 and the 30, but if you use a 5W30 ow you have this bigger gap between the 5 and the 30 gap then oil manufactures have to use more viscosity index improvers in the oil in which takes more from the lubrication properties of the oil, so is this a myth or a fact? on the pathfinders, they recommend a 5W30 or 10W30 has anyone used the 5W30 and have gotten over 180,000 miles of use without any engine problems?
  • pathfinder11pathfinder11 Member Posts: 1
    When I turn the key it slow starts. It chugs along then fires up most of the time after 7 -10 seconds. Sometimes I have to turn the key off and wait a few seconds, then try again and it fires right up. If I try to start it up by turning the key to the accessories on position and wait 10 seconds it fires right up every time. Anybody have any ideas?
    My girlfriend has a similar issue with her Mini Cooper. I was told that waiting for a few seconds allows the fuel system to pressurize.
  • richard1956richard1956 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 LE Pathfinder that just turned 200K. I must say it runs like the day I brought it. Does anyone know if it is easy to replace the instrument lights and if so can LED lights be used? I would like it brighter. Also, is it hard to replace the fuel filter and cabin air filter? Thanks in advance. richarde2@cox.net
  • marge9marge9 Member Posts: 3
    http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/pathfinder/3180-2001-pathfinder-mass-airflow-sens- or.html

does anyone have any luck with replacing the MAF on a pathfinder with the one from a maxima? According to the link alot of people have but would hate to suggest it to a family memeber and have it not work and end up costing us more. 500 dollars for a pathfinder MAF and around 120 for a maxima one? Also it would have to pass Smog. why do cars have to be so......... UHHHH
    "you probably spent over $150.00 on parts and research ,so now your $250.00 shy of taking it to a Nissan repair shop, I have been in some situations like you and many others ,some you win and some you loose . but when it comes to sensors or diagnostic equipment needed to resolve the real problem bite the bullet.
    I once had a stalling and low power problem with my engine , after a full tune up and parts, it didnt cure it, Nissan found out it was a speed sensor ON THE TRANSMISSION OF ALL PLACES there you go
  • 05path5nder05path5nder Member Posts: 1
    my 05 pathfinder heater cools down at idle? I checked the coolant level, it was about a pint low however I found that I have a pressure cap on my overflow reservoir and a basic cap on my radiator. Could not having a pressure cap on my radiator be causing my heater to cool down at idle?
    could some one have mixed the caps ,I dont think so because they are different sizes, however if you didnt have a pressure cap on the radiator it would expand and blow something like a hose unless this cap is just sitting there and not tight and lets some of the pressure out, it has to go somewhere usually back into the overflow tank and that tank has no pressure in it. the heater only gets cool for 2 reasons,1 not enough water mix in the radiator ,,,,2 clogged heater core. better get the right caps and filler up but put a little stop leak like bars stop leak then fill the Radiator run it hot , let it cool ,add more water mix .
  • g22g22 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Pathy, that HAD the same problem,, you most likely have a one or two seals that are worn out on the drive shaft,, mine were replaced and 90% of the vibration is gone. You will not be leaking any fluid,, but if you got more that 40K miles, I would have it check,, the seals are cheap the labor is what is going to bite a bit.. Good luck
  • jerry_06pathyjerry_06pathy Member Posts: 10
    Hi, Just wondering when is the right time for a 2006 pathfinder tune up. Mine has a 79000 miles and has no problems. I bought it when it was about 77000 miles and doesn't know the previous owner's maintenance records. And, how much do they usually charge for it? thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Edmunds Maintenance Guide.
  • jerry_06pathyjerry_06pathy Member Posts: 10
    Thanks Steve!
  • saknjmomsaknjmom Member Posts: 26
    I'm pretty sure my '08 is a lemon. Nonetheless, wondering if anyone is having similar problems.
    From day one, I noticed "quirky" problems that I wasn't sure were problems. Mostly a light would be on (4wd, or VDC)) Then, I had the issue with the "pause" at 30 mph which was fixed with a service bulletin posted here.
    So, more odd things were happening, the red key light flashing for keyless ignition while I was driving, then the battery went dead within 10 minutes of turning off the car. (I parked, sat in car waiting to pick someone up, tried to start/dead).
    So, the whole time the service guys are not listening to me, finally they took it in and they had it for 17 days!! It seemed like they fixed it, the receipt was sketchy as to what they actually did.
    Now, I'm having same issues...battery dying for no reason, keyless entry and ignition working intermittently, 4wd light on when car is in 2wd, the outside temp starts at below zero and "rolls" up to the current temp, Once, the keyless ignition wouldnt work, I put the key in and the ignition still wouldn't turn over (car was parked on flat surface and wheels were straight) I finally got out of the car, locked it, re entered and the keyless ignition worked.
    Several other things fixed within the first week...the back hatch didn't self rise on its own, the car could be turned off when in D, after 2 months, the stitching on my seat was completely coming off.
    I've had 5 pathfinders before this one. Never.a.day.of.trouble. Now, this particular one has been the biggest POS and I may not buy another next year when my lease is up.
    Anyone having these types of problems?
  • hellhound3220hellhound3220 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used 1992 Nissan Pathfinder about three weeks ago. The previous owner took immaculate care of it with regular 3000 mile oil changes and garaged it's whole life. Needless to say, it is in GREAT condition. It runs great and I have fallen in love with it. However... after driving it around for two weeks it developed a squeak in what sounds like the drivers side front shock area. It squeaks when you go over bumps in the road and when you apply the breaks. It is more of an up and down squeak not a break related squeak. I have looked all over up in that area and can't find the source, any ideas or help in this area would be appreciated. Also would like to find out how to replace my rear window washer pump. Won't spray washer fluid on my rear window. Any help from anybody is greatly appreciated. Thanks.....
  • lachukylachuky Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, recently the starter went on my 93 pathfinder took a dump on me and I know I can fix it myself but I don't want to start until I know whether or not I need to remove other parts to lift it out. Anyone who has spent time under a car knows the surprises one can get when trying to do a simple part swap. If anyone can help it would be great.

lachuky
  • lachukylachuky Member Posts: 2
    If you do find out how to replace the rear window washer fluid pump can you let me know as well. Its such a pain not to have it working.

lachuky
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,280
    1997 Pathfinder with 94k on it.

For about 2 years, the Sevice Engine Soon light has been coming and going. Car runs smooth and never seems to be running differently whether the light is on or not. It's made it thorugh 2 inspections without throwing a code. I've replaced the fuel and air filter and cleaned the throttle body and the light still comes on every now and then. When it comes on, it will usually stay on solid for a few days and then turn off for a few days.

Any ideas?
    Your engine computer is detecting something, but only intermittently. When it does not detect the problem after a certain number of "drive cycles", it will turn the light off until it detects the problem (or another problem) again. The only way to determine what the problem(s) is to download the fault codes (which will be stored in the engine computer) with a OBD (On Board Diagnostics) scanner. You can buy an inexpensive scanner, or alternatively Auto Zone will use their scanner and read you out the code(s) for free. It's easy, you (or they) just plug the scanner into the OBD port on your truck...on a '97 PF it's under the dashboard if I recall correctly. Let us know what you find out.
    replacing a battery 2003 pathfinder, I just bought a new battery , and If I install the new battery will I loose my remote key FOB settings and my radio stations presets or anything else ?
  • millatime224millatime224 Member Posts: 1
    Your squeak in the driver side strut area sounds like the Upper Insulator needs replaced. I had the same problem with my '02 Pathy where it would squeak over bumps. I took the whole strut assembly apart on the driver side to see that the Upper Insulator (the triangle-shaped part that actually mounts to the vehicle frame under the hood) had all of the rubber eaten out of it. I went to Nissan and bought a new one for around $50. Problem solved, Hope this helps
  • sea1shell1sea1shell1 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get an answer on this or find out what was wrong? My car is kind of doing the same thing. I have a 1996 Honda Accord. Thanks.
    what is the best site to go to for recalls on any make car ,and I mean a no frills ,maybe or what if , yes a good real no BS recall site ,Thanks out there
  • dsieverdsiever Member Posts: 5
    Hi nhutchinson,

Just curious if the replacing of your IPDM corrected your issue? Did the problem re-cur? We have an 05 Pathfndr and it is doing exactly the same thing. It will begin sputtering almost like an elecrical fault is the cause-and during the sputtering session, the service engine light rapidly flashes on and off--I simply turn off the ignition key and restart the endine and that seems to "reset" this issue until next time--which could be in 5 minutes of 5 hrs. Please respond. Thanks.
  • Handyworx64Handyworx64 Member Posts: 2
    My particular issue ended up being a bad alternator. I replaced the alternator and haven't had any problems since. None of the local dealers or parts stores stocked one ($185.00) So I ended up scavenging one from a wrecking yard for $25.00;
    I saved the old one in hopes of getting it rebuilt by a local alternator/starter shop. Haven't needed to yet though. Good Luck!
  • kimel9111kimel9111 Member Posts: 1
    can somebody tell me where i can put the timing on my pathfinder 1993 or where i can find the points
  • stinkstink Member Posts: 3
    I have the exact same problem in a 1997 SE pathfinder. It also bucks now and then and the radio and everything does when it does it. did anyone resolve this issue? not sure how to navigate this strangely set up forum...
  • cpbqcpbq Member Posts: 1
    Same problem with my 2001 and cannot find anything to replace it without calling Nissan directly and paying $$$$$. Have some paint bubbling underneath gas cover which needs fixing also.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,280
    The power antenna on my 97 LE stopped working yesterday. It will start to go up but then stop without making it. It's stopping at different points. One time it will make it an inch, another time it will go 6. I WD-40ed it up and checked the surface to insure that there wasn't any damage. I can pull it all the way up with my hand.

Anyone have this happen? Is there a fuse I can pull to leave it in the up position?
  • pathfinder01sepathfinder01se Member Posts: 3
    Okay I love my pathfinder, but when it rains it poors. Im having several issues and to start: Im getting ready to have my incle replace my spark plugs cuz im at almost 150,000 miles, but everywere i read there should be a set of tools, and my car does not have them and i called around and people thought i was crazy asking for them!! Anyone know where I can get them???? Im also replacing the ac hose-low- is anyone else having issues with it leaking?? Any suggestions on how to fix my cd player, its broke and clicking and wont give me back my cds and I went to put in after market and thats not possible unless I pay an extra 200 to re-wire as my car has a bose system. Also I replaced the MAF, and both my cats. Whats next??? Is there any class actions out there for all these issues?? The more I read the more I see that everyone is having these issues, especially super slow windows. Thank you so much for your help.
  • pathfinder01sepathfinder01se Member Posts: 3
    Did you get it replaced?? Its so easy to do, I seriously bought mine online and replaced it for 120.00, car has worked great sense then, and or kragen has them for 150 i believe. Im a grl and could replace.
    look at the motor under the area of the antenna ,find a red wire going into it and pull the little connector off this will stop it
  • kpath2002lekpath2002le Member Posts: 2
    I am only getting the P1167 code. How do I determine which oxygen sensor needs replacing?
  • kpath2002lekpath2002le Member Posts: 2
    P1167=Heated O2 Sensor 2 Maximum Voltage Monitoring Bank 2
    H02=Oxygen sensor
    S1=Front Sensor/S2=Rear Sensor
    (B1)=Right Bank Sensor/(B2)=Left Bank Sensor
    Therefore P1167=Rear/After Converter Left/Driver Sensor
  • longfieldlongfield Member Posts: 1
    What would be a fair price on changing the front wheel bearing on a 4wd 2001 Pathfinder?
  • davis312davis312 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 pathfinder xe. My tail lights and dash lights are not working. The 'TAIL' fuse in the engine compartment is fine. I've also put a new headlight combination switch in with no change. Does anyone have any suggestions!?
  • pfx2pfx2 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2010
    I just changed my fuel sender switch to fix the gas gauge that wasn't working. It seems to be a common problem with the Pathy.

Now my MPG is dropping? It was around 16 now 14 MPG. The dealer did a smoke test to check for a leak in the fuel system.

I changed the plugs and air cleaner too? Checked tire air pressure

Any tips?
  • alwaysbusyalwaysbusy Member Posts: 11
    You all know about the recall involving the DTE (distance til empty) situation, right? If not you should look into it.

Back when my 06 Pathfinder was brand new and I ran out of gas twice (on my way to fill up... gas level showed 1/8 tank but was actually empty) I wrote to Nissan North America, spent alot of time on the phone... to no avail. The dealership did replace the part eventually , under warranty, but in the last few months we got a recall notice about this exact situation. I wonder if my persistance with Nissan NA had anything to do with it....
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Hi,
    I'm posting this here and on the Infiniti QX4 thread. The Infiniti thread is very quiet and since the vehicle is pretty much the same as a Pathfinder I was hoping that someone here could help.

Does anyone know exactly how many catalytic converters there are in a 2002 QX4? Was getting a rear bracket repaired at Midas and they stated that my catatlytic converter was leaking bad to the point you could see it. They said since I have 77k and just short of 8 years since purchase it should be under emissions warranty. I checked and the emissions warranty says it will replace catatytic converters up to 8yrs/80k miles. I've got 3k and 3mos left.

Called and made an appointment with the dealer and they started to give me the runaround about certain catalytic converters being covered under that law and others that weren't. Something about pre and post catalytic converters???? Said they will have to look at it but it sounded like he had already made up his mind to deny warranty work. Went on to several auto parts sites and could only find mention of two converters....one on each side. Don't see any mention whatsover of pre and post converters. Am I getting the runaround?? Does anybody know?
  • ehernandez2ehernandez2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem my Nissan Pathfinder 01, The rear of my truck is lean to the left, i replaced the both coilspring and struts because thats what they told me in the dealer to replace. But it's still leaning. If someone can help me its going to be apreciate. Thanks