Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• GroveGrove Member Posts: 9
    First major snowstorm was last week... I have a 02 Le and it was the first time I was in 4wd or Auto. When I stopped and put the Pathy into park waiting a few seconds and turned the car off a bang or thump or it leached forward (a little hard to describe)happened. I was wondering if this is normal ? The other concern is ... the back end was sliding more then I think it should. Is the stock tires that bad in the snow or is that I did not have anything (weight) in the back end of the Pathy.
    I owned two Jeep Wranglers before the Pathy and the Pathy was only a little bit better in the snow. With the Pathy being heavier I think it should have handled much better (like a Jeep Grand Cheeoke). I almost thought that the 4wd was not engaging and tried a quick trip around the block in 2wd (slightly worse handling).
    Any help would be great
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    The lurch is normal. It's the transfer case clutch dissengaging. Mine moves about 1", even with the e-brake on. It had me worried for about 6 months until others started complaining about it too. Dealer had no clue.

The stock tires are rather poor in snow or on ice (I have the Dunlops on my 2001 LE). We haven't had enough snow since 2000 when I got mine to comment on deep snow, but I've been sliding around lots on ice and light snow. I especially don't like the antilock brake setup.
  • rowjimeerowjimee Member Posts: 8
    I too have an '02 LE. Same story, I thought it'd be much better in the snow. It seems to slide around a lot. I expected it to cut right through that slushy crap, but it didn't steer as straight as I had hoped.
    pathstar: do you think it's just the tires, and that with a set of tires better suited for winter that the pathfinder would perform much better in the snow?

btw, the jerking forward thing happens to me too.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey, I just got a chance to play around a little in the snow too & I'm positive it's the stock tires that suck. 4wd is 4wd, especially when the transfer case is locked 50/50 front/rear. I can't wait to get some real tires...
  • sailor16sailor16 Member Posts: 34
    Not sure about in the US but my Canadian 03 Path came with Bridgestone Dueler HT's.(At least I think they were Dueler HT's and not HL's-- One Bridgestone Dueler tire ranks ok and one is at the bottom of the heap--My Path had the cheapo ones)Tire rack reviews were really bad on this model and even the dealer acknowledged they were not much good when I pressed him.(Especially poor in the wet or in snow)As part of the purchase process I negotiated having them swapped for Michelin LTX's+ the retail price diff. between the two tires.Because of the area where I live I also bought 4x4 Arctic Alpins for the winter--I think that's the real answer for winter driving.
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Lurch: I get the slight lurch a la the transfer case in my '03 on occasion - very slight, but noticeable. Must be normal from all the posts.

Thule: Assume the deflector you describe is the Thule product? Nice to know that it works! I will keep in mind. I considered the fairing, but based on my set-up with the combi box, the Thule fairing would come down in the middle of my sunroof [I have to put the box far enough forward that I can open the rear hatch without hitting the rear of the box.] I know Thule makes accessories that can attach to the factory racks (which I think it sounds like you did?), but I went ahead and replaced the whole LE rack with the Thule towers, bars, locks, etc. I think I'm going to have to go for the sunroof deflector - anyone have a report on how much it cut down the wind noise on their factory (or aftermarket) racks?

Snow slippage / tire pressure / etc.: Since lowering my PSI to 30, I have a definite improvement (obviously) in all this crud and ice around here. I have not owned another 4WD vehicle, so I am not the expert on bases for comparison though. But, at 30 PSI, even on the admittedly inferior-rated Duelers, I seem to really be able to rip it around town in AUTO and 4HI. The other day in the snowstorm going to the emergency room, it seemed great other than the one time I really tried to force it to test the VDC (which did kick in). [Again, I may be too used to 2WD cars for comparison.] If smokey75 is close to 30K on his original Duelers at 26 PSI (thanks for the report!), then I may just leave at 30 now for all this wet stuff, etc. I can live with 30K miles on this set (20K would be ridiculous though) and then replace, yes, with Michelins - my favorite brand of tire for most situations, even with the higher cost. Again, not sure WHY Nissan moved placard to 30 PSI, but the most telling change to me is the new '03 low tire pressure sensors which fire at 25 PSI! . . . Nissan owes some explanation there, agreed. Depending on their response, maybe on your next set try 30 PSI? Not sure, but very curious.
    Well, I've had SUVs since long before they were called SUVs, and I can tell you I'm certain it's the tires. My Dunlops now have 28,000 km on them and they still have lots of tread (more than 1/2 left). When they were much newer (4 months) I slid around on the highway in B.C. in 2" of wet snow. Not very confidence inspiring. I will eventually be getting proper Michelins when these wear out. I have always run them at 30 psi.

As for the proper pressure, go to a level paved surface with your vehicle loaded as you would normally have it. Use a piece of chalk and mark each tire with a line all the way across the tread. Drive 100 yards or so and check the chalk marks. They should wear evenly. If the centre wears more than the edges, you have too high pressure, and if the edges wear more too low (make sure you move in a straight line - turning will wear the chalk at the edges faster). This is the preferred method for determining tire pressures on "normal" tires (as opposed to "ballon" tires such as the older "True Trak" style which actually get larger as you inflate them to higher pressures).
  • rowjimeerowjimee Member Posts: 8
    Anyone have any experience with Nissan's aluminum brush guard? I park my 02 LE on the street in Manhattan and I need some front end protection from inconsiderate New Yorkers. Is Nissan's lighter / better / worse than say the one Waag sells? Also, the Nissan service tech is telling my that it costs approx $250 to install (3 hours of labor) on top of the $399 cost of the part. Is that how long it should take, 3 hours?
    There is an accessories board, but I'll respond here since I have a thought to offer after surfing around on these today. I think world_traveler on that other board suggested the look of a bull bar or safari bar as having a nice appearance. I checked it out and agree. Not as much protection, but it is understated and cheap. If Nissan is too costly and you are looking for only bumper protection (NY parrallel parking, etc.), Westin makes both of these. I think the Westin Safari Bar in black would not be bad. I checked out a lot of prices (several sites don't include the parts/bracket kit) and that accessconnect.com seemed to be the darn lowest again at $135 for everything. Aso, check out: http://www.grilleguards.net/grilleguards.asp for a lot of different styles. IMO, I thought the the full brush guard was a little expensive as well and wasn't sure if I needed it (I don't go through brush) for the camping, hiking, and skiing I do with mine. Hope this helps. Maybe someone on that board has bought one - worth checking.

P.S. will try chalk when weather improves. thx!
  • pondfull5pondfull5 Member Posts: 53
    Rowjimee: On the subject of inconsiderate New Yorkers smashing up your PF, have you considered renting a garage?. I am pretty sure you can afford it. After all you are driving around on the streets of Manhattan in your 02 PF LE.

Take a closer look at the lic. plates on the cars and trucks parked next to yours and you will find that most of them are from out of states.

Mjohnr99 is right, Westin Safari Bar in Black with Two New Driving or Fog Lights will do justice for your new PF.

Greetings and happy Holidays to all

Full5.
    good news, bad news. need help.

- on the gas gauge that I've seen some discuss, when I was waiting for it to hit exactly the "E line" to fill up, I of course noticed having about 3 or so gallons left in the tank. Big reserve I thought. Well . . . just noticed in the manual that the line I thought was the Empty line is NOT the empty line (i.e., that last bottom line is not it!). Actually, the Empty position is the letter E itself. Just noticed in the manual that Empty is marked at the 6 o'clock position, which is the E letter. Duh. So, Full is closer to 12 o'clock and Empty is closer to 6 o'clock - hope this helps any others who goofed it in predicting when they were getting too low on gas. So, I wonder, per the manual, how much of a reserve tank is left once I truly hit the letter E empty mark?

- on the bad news: first problem on new '03 LE. I keep headlights always in auto, and when parked in garage yesterday they did NOT turn off!! I did not wait the 45 sec. to verify - but 3 hours later when I got a call that my lights were on I said "impossible." If in fact, I had left in the ON position accidentally, I knew the 5 minute turn-off protection would have kicked in (which has worked when tested). BUTTT, I go down and YES they are on, the headlight switch yes is in AUTO, and the battery is almost DEAD (lights work, but not enough juice to start!!!!!!!). Couldn't believe this. Since then, I have tried to repeat the malfunction to no avail. Everything works perfectly of course. Not sure whether to wait for increase in presence of problem or go to dealer now - what a pain having to wait the 45 secs to verify each time; at the same time, don't want to go through the time/energy yet taking in to dealer when problem can't be repeated and is probably due to a bad switch that is working 99% of the time but may fail only intermittently. Any suggestions? Any one heard of anyone else on these boards having this same problem? Thanks.
  • onboost91onboost91 Member Posts: 86
    Did you happen to have a door slightly ajar? I'm not 100% positive the lights work this way, but it seems that when I shut the car down with the lights in auto, they stay on for as long as I have a door open (i.e. like when i'm unloading lots of stuff from the hatch). They definately seem to remain on for longer than 45 seconds.
  • mediaguymediaguy Member Posts: 11
    Hi all,
    I've never owned a new vehicle and I've been driving a 3000GT for the last 5 years. I have owned a truck before but many years ago. SO I'm not sure if this is just me getting acclimated or it's a problem.
    For a brand new vehicle(350 miles now) the truck seems a little rough. I'll do my best to explain.
    When coasting or slowly accelerating at about 20mph and 1000rpm's I feel a lot of vibration and it doesn't seem to be smooth. I also feel like the truck is straining when going from a stop or minimal speed to around 55mph. But once I'm there it's fine.
    I also notice a lot of smoke when starting the vehicle in the morning.
    Where I live the temp has been below freezing for the most part.
    Which brings me to my next point. It takes forever for this thing to warm up.
    So...........am I just dealing with somethings I need to get used to or do I have problems with a new vehicle?
    I bought this vehicle based on reviews and what I've been reading here about it's reliability. I'm hoping I made the right choice. Thanx!
    Even with a door ajar (your door is a jar ;-) the interiour lights will turn off in 5 min. - at least on the 2001 LE they do. I'm surprised the interiour lights would drain the battery in 5 hrs. I'll bet he's talking about the headlamps. The headlamp auto position only affects them, not the interiour lamps. I've noticed several bugs in the electronics on mine. If you change the state on one of these settings, sometimes it doesn't have an effect until you cycle the ignition key. If I remember the last item I noticed this with I'll post it - can't recall exactly what it was just now.
  • teeroteero Member Posts: 2
    I got a code P0171. Tried few things but I noticed when I reset it, it is ok until I fill up with gas. The check engine lights comes back on. Any suggestions.
    First: Yes, I was talking about the headlamps. Yes, if you leave the door slightly ajar the auto headlights will stay on longer than 45 seconds. And yes, if you leave the interior lights (or headlights) ON, they swill shut off after 5 minutes anyway (backup protection). Finally, yes the battery was mostly drained after 3 hours of headlights being on and would not start. [Headlights, interior lights, radio, etc. worked, but not enough juice to actually start. I let it sit for 4 hours, turned all accessories off, and then it had enough charge "restored" to start.]

OK, on to the relief (or disbelief) with my '03 LE: pulling into my work garage this morning reminded me of something that was "unique" about my morning yesterday when I had the problem: I exited the vehicle from the passenger door because my driver's door was up next to a garage post. AND, as it turns out, if you are in AUTO headlight mode and you do NOT exit the driver's door and slide over and out the passenger side instead, the headlights will stay on past 45 seconds and remain on permanently despite the fact that the ignition is off and you are outside the locked vehicle, key in hand. I was able to repeat this numerous times and it made no difference whether parking brake on or off, passenger door locked or unlocked, etc. - the key factor was whether the driver's door was opened and closed. Anyone want to check their's out to confirm that it does the same? I guess you need to be careful then if you ever exit the way I did! Makes sense given onboost's post that AUTO headlamps with stay on longer than 45 seconds if you leave the driver's door ajar . . . BUTTTTTTT what I can't figure out is why didn't the back-up headlamp off feature kick-in to turn the headlamps off after the 5 minute mark???? My guess is that the way Nissan wired this is that that 5 minute feature ONLY works when the headlights are in the true ON mode, and the feature isn't wired for the AUTO mode. Can someone do me a favor and verify that the 5 minute back-up off feature does not kick in when they go through this sequence? If you guys concur that your's does the same, you saved me a trip to the dealer and I'll just chalk this one up to a design "flaw" that really shouldn't be that much of a problem IF you don't park next to cement posts often! ;>

Thanks in advance. Hope this helps others avoid dead batteries!
    Pathstar, I was indeed actually talking about the auto head lights, not the interior lights.
    My bad. I didn't realize the new Pathfinders leave the headlamps on after you turn off the engine. My 2001 does not do that. The headlamps go off when the ignition is turned off, even if they are on auto.
    I just remembered: I park and wait for a friend to go into a store to get something. I shut off the engine but leave the key in ACCY position. The vent fans keep running. I turn the key off and then back to ACCY. The fans do not run. Too weird!
    - hard to evaluate that stuff as very subjective, have to be there, kind of thing. I think your experience (e.g., the straining sound)is no different to a prior post exchange between world_traveler and myself when we first got our '03s two months ago (read back). He compared the higher sound of the Pathfinder engine to the deeper sound of his older Runner, etc. Just takes getting used to. I came from a '91 CRX Si, so this sounds fine to me when accelerating and doesn't feel rough at 20 MPH - hard to define rough though. As far as warming up, today when leaving work in a 60 degree garage, the vehicle temp was at the normal 5 tick mark in 3 minutes (by the time I exited garage) and I had warm air coming out auto climate system vents at same time. Yes, when it's cold there is a lot of "smoke" (no different than your breath vapor on a cold day) but it looks normal to me when I compare to any other vehicle. The only strange thing I have is that slight burning or plastic smell that occasionally comes from vents - but folks here say that is normal from their experience as engine breaks in. So, I am still batting a 1000 here and, minus the AUTO headlight scare (which I guess doesn't count), everything has been as expected by what I read in Consumer Reports on this thing's reliability. I'm guessing you're just noticing being in a new vehicle like we were - read back to the October? posts I think or do a search.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Hello all

First, let me tell you that the Auto light snafu happened to me too. for some reason one night the lights never closed despite the fact I was on Auto. I was more fortunate than Mjohnr99 as I went into the garage to pickup some tools and I realized the lights were on. It only happened once a couple days after I bought the truck. I did not complain here or at the dealer because I thought I had done something wrong and it never happened again. But I have to admit that it is a nuisance that the light do not turn off when switching off the engine on Auto. To me at least it serves no purpose to have the headlight on after I leave the car. People stop me sometimes in parking lots to tell me that I forgot to turn off my lights....... I wish that the dealer could easily change that programming. But I got used to all that and I did not experience any inconvenience since then.

New truck: All I can say Mediaguy is that it takes a little while to get used to the specificities of any new vehicle. I remember exchanging posts with M99 around the end of october about similar issues. Looking back now I think it was only normal since I had been driving my previous truck for almost 4 years. The Pathfinder felt weird a bit, but now it feels so good, so smooth. I wish I could test drive my old 4Runner to see if I would be missing the power and cornering abilities of the Pathfinder.

While I got used to the AUTO issue I never could get used to the poor mileage (MPG) I'm getting from the Pathfinder compared to my Runner. I'm about to put masking tape over the digital counter to stop worrying about that ;-)

Warming up: yes the Pathfinder could warm up faster to be honest. When I leave the garage obviously it warms fast but when I leave the arking lot at the end of the day (average 20 farenheit these days) I can drive over 5 minutes before it warms enough for the Auto climate to start throwing warm air. But the 4Runner was not much better to be honest.

The only real problem I have experienced so far is very poor radio reception. I'm waiting for the first service visit before complaining to the dealer since it is minor. I was talking about this with my wife, it is the fisrt car we have bought that we did not go to the dealer the first 2 months to get thing fixed or tweaked. I visited the dealer at least 5 times the first 2 months of ownership of my 4Runner to get a very bad rattle problem in my front suspension...

So, so far I'd give a good 9.0/10 to my Pathfinder.

Ciao all

World
    Thanx guys! I have read the previous posts. I read a lot on this board before purchasing:) mjohnr99,you're right, you have to be there. I need someone in the same situation to drive my truck. I know if I go to the dealer they'll think I'm nuts. I hate dealers, that's why I ordered online.
    My major concern I guess is the vibarations that I'm feeling. I' guess I'll just drive it and enjoy it. If it breaks I'll get it fixed:)
    And I have to remember.....it's a truck and not a sports car!
    Next feat is to figure out how to wash and wax in the winter. Anyone ever go to a car wash?
    BTW: I got black on black and it's sharp when it's clean. But of course I only got to see that for the first day. It's been snowing or raining since.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I have a 2001 Canadian model Pathfinder, and once I shut off engine, headlights go out. When I drive into my garage, the headlights come on, but once I shut the engine off, they go out. I have even tried to turn headlights to 'on' position, but once I turn the engine off, the lights still go out.

Must be a change in more recent models?
  • pathfinder14pathfinder14 Member Posts: 12
    Hi, everyone. I have a 2001 le 3.5 with a annoying rattle noise on the driver side window. Does anyone know what is wrong? When the window comes down it seems as though the window is hitting rubber. Is it loose maybe.??? The noise is at the corner right were the seat belt is.
    Warming-up: ok, tried it a little colder this time. Started up when in the 40s this time, and still the engine warmed up to the 5-tick normal temp level mark and I had the warm air kicking in the auto-climate in just under 3 minutes (this time, was pulling away from home and driving between 20-40 MPH). Not cold enough here to test at lower temps. So, hope this helps you compare whether your system is operating "normally." If there is excessive delay warming up at colder, sub-32 degree temps, I'd be interested to compare time to my wife's 4-cylinder Honda under same temps. I think a cold spell is coming . . .

Roughness at 20 MPH/1K RPMS: tried repeatedly to feel something different at that engine speed, but still nothing out of the ordinary at least to me. Just feels like it's ready and waiting for you to step on it so to speak, like it just doesn't want to sit there and cruise at that speed/RPM. Again, subjective. For comparison, I'm at 1,700 miles on my '03 LE.

Black on Black and wash/wax: I'm paranoid of a lot (not all) of the car washes (make sure you remove antenna) especially with Thule racks on top and the possibility of the black paint getting trashed, so I run a hose out of our mud room with a hot/cold split so that I have a nice luke warm to rinse cars in the winter. Works great for the salt. Having tried this in sub-freezing on a black Honda, I can tell you the warm water does nonetheless freeze up quickly like a bunch of slush/ice, so I don't think I will do this on the LE in sub-freezing conditions as not sure how good the quick temp change can be on the paint/finish. As far as wax, etc., to be safe, I thought you were generally supposed to wait a year for the paint/clear coat to finish sealing, etc. (N.B.: a year from "manufacture date," check VIN label), but that may depend on manufacturer and make and not sure about Nissan. On black cars, search one of these Nissan boards where I explained my recent positive experience with (believe it or not) Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell LIQUID, what Consumers' Reports put as one of the best for black paint.

2003 Auto headlights: yes, they apparently changed it, on '03s the auto headlights remain on for 45 seconds after you have turned off the ignition AND have exited the vehicle by the driver's door.

rattling window noise: search these boards; I swear I remember some of these long-time posters (Phil47?) talking about this issue and the pros/cons of addressing it at the dealer, etc.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I've been informed by the dealers that the "cure" for slow-closing windows in very cold weather is to slightly increase the bottom window seal gap. Unfortunately, this sometimes leads to a rattling window in warmer weather. Sounds like Nissan might be playing with the size of this gap during manufacture to find a happy medium. Your dealer will likely be able to close it a bit, but it may lead to a slower power window in cold weather.
    Still not sure about the vibrating. I think I'm going to go to the dealer and drive another one and see if it does it. I have the DVC package and I wonder if that has anything to do with that. They don't have any of those on the lots in my area so may be difficult for me to test.
    I did a quick wash on my truck yesterday. I suck at washing cars. It looks worse now:) Car wash for me.
    And to top all this off..........I got a small ding in my windshield right in front of the driver side................Well maybe summer I'll get to enjoy my truck.........hope the damn sunroof works:)
    For your information: my '03 LE has the VDC as well and my report above was with it turned on. Just so you know. [On washing car: just make sure to at least rinse salt off occasionally during winter. Yes, washing is a pain, but I was able to get it down to 30 minutes (my CRX was only 20!) to hose and mitt wash with a quick once over style, then 5 minutes to dry with this new cool gizmo I tried called the California Water Blade (figured I would need for SUV) - leaves lots of drops in many places, but overall gets 90% off with no streaks (some dribbles though); incredible on windows compared to squeegee; not as good as chamois hand method, but cut time way down from the usual 20 minutes of rubbing and ringing! I get the 90% and just let the 10% drip dry and the result is not that bad . . . as you say, this is a truck afterall (but I do hate the salt and tend to have to wash a lot in the winters).]
    I always leave the VDC on. Should I not do that?
    My truck was still dirty when I got done washing. Rain would have done a better job than I did. I used Maguires wash and a sponge. Rinsed, washed, and used a chamois to dry. I figured I didn't have to try real hard since I only had it a week.
    I wipe dry with the chamois. My friend said your not supposed to rub with the chamois which is what I was doing.
    I also leave it always on. I imagine if there is an opportunity to get crazy in some sand dunes (unlikely but possible with some of the true 4WD friends I have), then I would only turn off at that point (so vehicle can slip around, etc.).

Yes, I have a chamois and you don't need to rub it (I realize I said "rub") - you kind of pull it and the water off in one motion together. I always stuck to that method until this SUV where I decided to give this other product a try. Anything to save time. What I initially thought would be a gimmick (like the CA car duster or something) actually works. To me, it cuts down time definitely (because chamois not as good on windows and vertical surfaces IMHO). I did some Advanced searches just now and others on this board have tried product too. [The best approach would be using both, but I'll save such an esoteric discussion for the "Car Wash Board." ;>>> ]

[Amazing the info on here; some day I plan to start at the beginning and work through all of them. Do some advanced searches. Almost everything at one point or another has been posted on.]

M99 [I like that WT]
    Hello M99 ;-)

I'm planning to stay away from car wash too. I now have a large garage and I can wash the cars inside during winter.

I'm washing the cars almost every week these days. There is a lot of salt on the roads and I really don't like it on my truck.

I also use a chamoi but I'm not impressed with the results so far. But Pewter is easier to keep clean so people cannot really see the marks. I'll wait for summer to trying other tools or tricks as my truck gets dirty a bit 2 corners from my house anyway this time of year.

We haven't had anymore snow lately so I cannot try VSC off, I'm looking forward to that.

I just passed the 1000 miles mark. I feel that the truck is less stiff. I guess the pieces are falling into place providing somewhat of a smoother ride and the driver is also past its own breakin period ;-)

Have you followed any 4Runner threads here in Townhall lately ? What is happening there ? Any breaking news ? I'm keeping my promise... I will not visit that board for another little while :-()

Ciao !!!

WT
    I HIGHLY recommed the Absorber Synthetic Chamois (~$15) for drying your car. You use it just like normal chamois, you lay it on the car and drag it. Once it gets saturated you just wring it out and its ready to keep working. It makes drying the car very fast and easy. I haven't hand washed my Pathfinder yet but I used to use the Absorber on a black mr2 turbo I owned (which was auto-crossed and shown) and it always dryed with no water marks at all. Best of all, it comes in a wide variety of colors which will impress your girlfriend or wife.

Ive used real chamois in the past and there was no comparison (and forget about towels).
    - thanks, yes, I used to use absorber and will have to compare to chamois - never actually compared. These things work much better than the water blade in the cracks/crevices, but I've given up trying to make these things showroom dried. Just want the salt off paint so this blade seems to get 80-90% off in about 5 minutes max.

hello WT: don't go back to the Runner board, just a bunch of new car owners (like some of us ;>>) figuring out what for them are first-year idiosyncracies with their vehicle. One thing strange: not much bragging about prices (you think some would be getting deals now compared to anticipated gouging). Still, can't beat what I paid for this LE. As you know from my many comments over there before the LE decision, cars are not investments and the idea that the 4-5K more they are spending is a better "investment" because the car holds its value "better" is nonsense, IMHO. If you can buy my assumption that the 2 vehicles will more or less reliably serve (for many, certainly not ALL) the same purpose of transporting you and your gear (wife, kids, dog, etc.) in work and play, you should (if you can overcome emotional desires to climb Everest and focus on fiscal) go with the savings and invest or something else: either pay off any credit card debt, or do what I told those guys I would do, buy into this cheap market - I bought 4K of AMTD in October and it has already increased 25%. Of course you never know with any of these things (they may get cheaper yet!), but I hope that the research and investment into this stock (versus that vehicle) now will lead to returns on that 4K that in 7 years completely outshine any higher resale value that the new 4th Gen will have at that point. Again, I disagree with these "models" that attempt to show you the true monthly cost of owning the vehicle (Edmunds even has one I think) which seem to ignore the opportunity cost of not being able to invest the initial money you save on the lower cost (but faster depreciating) vehicle in an offsetting higher return (on average) investment. But I digress . . . (Sorry, like you, Toyota's big design goof(s) strikes a nerve and I get carried away . . .)

Oh yah (slight thing you might be interested in), us defectors and the rest apparently won in our cladding revolt: Mackabee claims color-keyed is definitely an SR5 option code next year. Feels good to have put 31K where my mouth was.

Back on point:

Problem: Low MPG. Wanted to report back that on my '03 (close to 2K miles now using 93 octane and ~30/70 split in time between AUTO and 2WD in daily commuting and weekend driving), I have been getting less MPG (with the tires having been reset down at 30 PSI per placard) now with the past three tanks than previously reported. Getting 13.6 MPG now, instead of 14.3. I was happy with 14.3 (given CTY rating of 15 MPG) and blamed 0.7 difference on Thule wind resistance. Yes, like others, the 13 range is a little disappointing and I am not sure there is a "solution." I will admit though, I accelerate quickly almost ALL the time. I have tried, but never seem to be able to try a whole tank accelerating smoothly, coasting to lights, driving 55-60 on freeway, etc. like my Dad somehow can. :) On the last issue, interesting point I read was about the resistance of a vehicle increasing as a square of its speed. [Thus, driving 70+ MPH cuts MPG.] I would love to go on a trip and drive 55-60 MPH non-stop for 250-300 miles - I bet I would get the HWY rated 19 MPG for sure!

Happy Holidays to all.
    I'm not sure if its a contributing factor or not but I've heard that often Gas stations put more additives into the gas during the winter. This usually results in less gas mileage. Just something to consider.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    I would love to go on a trip and drive 55-60 MPH non-stop for 250-300 miles - I bet I would get the HWY rated 19 MPG for sure!

Haha, if you drive 55 mph for a tankful of gas, you'll get upwards of 21 mpg! (I've done it, caravanning with a slow-moving U-haul from San Francisco to Phoenix.)

All you need to do to improve your fuel economy is remove the lead from your foot: try to keep the RPMs below 3000 (always!) and don't drive above 70 mph.

That's my experience anyway... :)
    Thanks, that's great news and what I hoped would be the case (but nice to know its been empirically tested). In fact, if I did all that, I thought it should be at least about the HWY 19 MPG - but 21 is terrific. I imagine as novelty of driving new vehicle wears off, I will relax and cruise and begin to enjoy that increased MPG. Don't get me wrong, I don't excessively speed, but after that 1,000 break-in (which was very painful . . .) I have definitely enjoyed the acceleration and quick starts. WT, now that you are past your break-in, what is your reaction to acceleration versus your former 183 HP 3rd Gen? I remember a post a while back where I was surprised to read that you didn't think there was too much of a difference. Every 3rd Gen I tested seemed a little "lacking" when I had only a yield sign (and no on-ramp) and needed to go from 0 - 60 into 60 MPH "GW Parkway" traffic . . . hence, my focus on the TRD supercharger. Curious what you think now?
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    mjohnr99 wrote: "I imagine as novelty of driving new vehicle wears off, I will relax and cruise and begin to enjoy that increased MPG."

That's a good one! My gut still hurts...

Sorry to break the news, but if you're anything like me, even after 2 years you'll continue to drive this great truck like you're 17 years old with a couple buddies in the back seat. My gas mileage still sucks only because I can't seem to get my foot off the floorboards. However, as xplorx4 sez, when you try to drive civil-like, especially on the highway, the mileage is much improved.

Enjoy the ride!
    Hello M99,

I retract whatever I said about acceleration. The Pathfinder does accelerate quicker and it performs great in downtown driving where you have to accelerate quickly and brake quickly when you want to avoid doubled-parked cars.

The Pathfinder is definitely more fun to drive and I enjoy thoroughly the added HP. But the 4Runner was no wimp. The 183HP would provide you with "interesting" accelerations under most circumstances. I think they staid with the 183HP engine that long because it was well balanced for the 4Runner. I only complained about lack of power in the 4Runner when I was pulling my boat on hills.

I'm looking forward to test the Pathfinder power when I will tow my 3000 pound boat/trailer next spring.

I am curently looking for a reasonable off-road track in my area to try my Pathfinder off-road. I'm passed the breakin period and the novelty has wore off a bit :-) so I'm now eager to try it off-road. The semi-wrecked backroad in my area is not enough to my taste.

But I'll be careful nonetheless.... The Pathfinder does not seem as rugged as my Runner. I have the impression that I have to be careful to some extent with the Pathfinder. Maybe it is the luxury feel of the LE that makes me feel that way (vs the rough finish of the Sr5V6 I had). But I don't mind being proven wrong. I guess I'll have to try myself to draw a more precise conclusion.

M99, Have you done any offroading yet ???

Ciao

WT
    I don't think the off-roading ability will be a major "problem" for me to which I will need a "solution." :>

Explanation: We have needed a mid-size SUV since 2000, when we got our first home and I became both a "handyman" and "landscape designer." Beyond the stereo typical Home Depot and plant nursery uses, I really wanted it mainly for my muddy black lab (ruining the cars) and all the hiking around DC, the towing of a jet ski (and possibly a light ski boat this summer), the camping trips we do with all the equipment (4WD may come into play there . . ), and winter ski trips (4WD maybe again . . .) we hope to do to Snowshoe, etc. (I'm a west coast native, but that is the best out here). So, by this standard, I think we are more why SUVs became so mainstream and (unfortunately) I can not claim to be the true off roader. The Runner was a favorite because I am one who places reliability first and foremost (I go crazy with even the thought of having to take it into the shop . . .), and I liked the idea of having the capability to truly "off road." But, being honest, that would only have involved the bumps and pits and ditches of wrecked back roads and wood trails (for example camping or on yearly paintball outings . . . don't ask), not boulder bashing. I think Intmed99 knew enough and provided enough posts that the body and frame, ground clearance, etc. of the 3rd Gen (sounds like the 4th Gen as well) would be superior over the boulders than this LE. But at least for me, in retrospect the runner was only a solution for a problem that I really didn't have. :> So, I'll take the LE's HP and the $4K stock investment.

But, I do have some friends with Jeep Wranglers, etc. that do do the real stuff, and I know I will get a chance to check out that 4HI/4LOW with them (more conservatively of course). BTW, they all told me how much they always loved the looks of the Pathfinder and that I've got "a mean truck" in my hands (at least looks wise I guess . . . but that's saying a lot compared to new plastic 4Runner . . . plus, I think by mean they were referring to its performance being pretty darn good in semi-serious off road situations). We shall see hopefully soon whether it is more than looks and as always I will report back with results.
    FYI, I thought this Edmund's review of the '02 year (voted Most Wanted) was probably fair of where it stacks up for the pure off-road play: acceptable, maybe decent?, but this is no Hummer and a 3rd Gen Runner is probably the better solution for someone who wants to off-road the majority of the time.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/53479/page008.html

Still, my "problem" was, yes, I would have to actually drive to a job in this thing as well . . . :>

• xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    mjohnr99- When I bought my Pathfinder, I was looking for similar criteria- cargo space, better vehicle for backcountry camping, 4WD for the occasional slippery launch ramp, trips to the snow... and then I went off-road and unleashed the child within- off-roading is in my blood! And it just might be in yours, too!

Don't be fooled: The Pathfinder is no slouch when the pavement ends. Sure, it may not have the same ground clearance as a 'Runner, but it does a good job holding its own.

I own a '97 LE (nearly mechanically identical to an '02 SE, except for the engine of course), which is now over 107,000 miles old, and its seen a fair amount of severe off-highway use. Considering the flogging it's received off-highway (and on-highway!) it hasn't had any truly significant problems.

(Click here to see just how far you can go off-road in a late-model Pathfinder.)

M99,

I don't plan to do any rock climbing with my new Pathfinder ;-) Maybe it could handle it but no way in hell will I drive my new vehicle in such conditions.

No, what I'm looking for are safe and reasonable paths but in very bad condition.

Near our cottage we have some wood-trails. The govt forces the wood companies to chop trees at least one mile deep in the wood to save the looks of our region for visitors and local people. These trails are large because of the 10-wheeler bringing the wood out so you do not get to scratch your vehicle. The paths are in a very bad condition because the trucks use them even when it rains. So it is very hard to drive into on the wekend mainly after a rain shower. Lots of mud, you have to plan you route in the mess and watch out for rock that stick out too much. Lots of fun.

There are no such road around where I live and the cottage is a 2.5 hours drive. We plan to go to the cottage between Christmas and the new year so I may have an opportunity then to try them out a bit if there is not too much snow. Worst case I'll have to wait for spring before trying them out.

Aside from that, I bought my truck for the same reasons you bought yours (reliability, bang for the buck, convenience, etc).
    There is "ground clearance" and there is "body clearance". Ground clearance is easy to measure, just slide under the vehicle on a flat surface and measure the distance to the ground from the lowest object (usually the rear differential pumpkin). I think you will find the Pathfinder is about the same as the 4Runner in this measurement, as it is set by tire diameter for a solid rear axle vehicle (not counting the slight variation in pumpkin diameters and offsets). Body clearance is another matter entirely. I like the low body clearance we have as the vehicle handles much better when the cg (centre of gravity) is so much lower. It is possible to have both a low cg and good body clearance, but that requires either adjustable body height (with special air shocks for example) and/or a lightweight body. Both of these paths are rather more expensive than what we currently have. The former solution also requires some creative suspension design so the alignment remains close at both extremes.

I had my 4Runner (previous vehicle) on the "confluence trail" at Canyonlands about 5 years ago. It would bottom out the trailer hitch (class III) but that was all (I was rather carefull). The vehicle was not modified. I suspect the trailer hitch protected the rear bumper several times. You can do this at very low speeds without worrying about damaging the vehicle, just as long as you don't "touch" ground objects with the body. I also had a Subaru wagon off-road on a forestry lookout trail where the "real" 4 wheel drive vehicles were taking off mufflers etc. This worked because the Subaru was small enough so that I could avoid the deep ruts they had to drive through.

So, my conclusion is that with proper tires (for body clearance and traction) and a bit of care (and perhaps some skill as well), there is no reason the Pathfinder would not be fine off-road.
    I totally agree with you Pathstar. Considering that I'm not looking for extreme off-roading but for accidented and muddy roads I'm sure the Pathfinder will do as well as my 4Runner did.

I just wanted to say in my post that I felt that my 4Runner felt more rugged and solid than the Pathfinder. I might be all wrong, it is a question of impression.... not facts. Like I mentionned it might because of the LE luxury finish over my somewhat crude SR5 finish I had. Practically the Pathfinder might be as capable than my old Runner at least for my needs.

I also agree with you about le lower stance of the Pathfinder. I think it corners much better than the 4Runner and I like that a lot. It is easier also for my wife and kids to climb into.

But I think that the pathfinder "pumpkin" sits a bit lower than the 3rd gen 4Runner. I did not measure but looking at my Pathfinder from behind in the garage I can swear that the pumpkin is a bit lower. I would be more cautious going in mud hole that I don't know or going over stuff. It'd be nice to have a formal measurement of that, from actual people and not from manufacturers stats.
    xplorx4: yes, you do have the "fever" :> Wow, after those 2 near misses I described a while back (in the brake pedal travel discussion talking about getting cut off and slamming on the brakes), I was considering some minor mods like replacing the stock horn, but you have gone all out there and done it all! Nice. Couldn't believe you couldn't make it out of that mud sink hole ;>>>; looked like a hippopatumus there breathing in the mud (e.g., bubbles out of exhaust). Cool. I wonder what a completely stock pathfinder could do . . .

Ground clearance, yes drop a tape from the pumpkin' and you'll get the minimum running ground clearance. I remember this discussion on the runner board. Here are the numbers:

3rd Gen Runner:
    - Toyota brochure listed "ground clearance" = 11" (who knows what they were measuring!);

- True, measured tape from the pumpkin "minimum running ground clearance" = ~ 9.8" with the stock tires. At one point, Intmed99 said his '02 measured 10.1" from the pumpkin, but I think he did not have stock tires??

I did not run down to the garage to drop a tape, but I did this the day I bought the LE (with stock tires, 17" wheels), and can confirm it was less than 9.8", I think at least by a half inch, maybe an inch??? Someone could go measure . . . (make sure stock tires, etc.)

As for the 4th Gen Runner, the LE's minimum running ground clearance may be about the same:

4th gen Runner:
    - Toyota brochure listed "ground clearance" = 9.1";

- True, measured "minimum running ground clearance" = ??? (maybe ~ 8.3", gotta ask someone on the board over there).

Anyway, I don't know what this all means as I know there is a lot more to it than this (break-over angles, etc.). In any event, some shopper may find this useful if they think they have a problem with the pathfinder's clearance vis-a-vis the new 4Runner.
  • jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    For anyonoe with the roof rack whistling noise; I had the same noise between 35 and 55 mph when I first bought my 2002 LE. I moved the front rack all the way to the back and I have not heard it since.

On auto headlights; I typically just turn the switch from auto to off and back to auto which shuts them off. I do not like the delayed shutoff, especially now that I have heard of a few problems.

Truck now has 2000 miles and has been perfect except for the abysmal gas mileage which around just suburban type driving can get as low as 12 mpg. I have also tried to get it in for the bottoming out TSB fix but the dealer says the part is on backorder which has been the case since Thanksgiving.
  • brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    JMW4,I have auto headlights on my 2002 LE.What kind of problems have you heard about them?I use mine all the time.I've been getting 11.6MPG in mostly stop and go driving. I use premium fuel and have 6400 miles on the truck.
  • jmw4jmw4 Member Posts: 67
    brisoup; I have had no problems with the auto headlights other than I much prefer the type that go off the minute you exit the car like my Acura does. A simple flick of the switch to off and back to auto will shut them down. Your mileage for just stop and go is similar to mine which is about 12 mpg. I have found that a 50/50 mix of expressway type driving and stop and go might yield about 15 miles per gallon, which is not very good considering it is a relatively small truck.
  • jimdboatjimdboat Member Posts: 5
    I have an '02 PF with a similar niose/whistling at 30-50 or so MPH. I was at the dealer last week and he said to just bring it in and leave it with them for a full day and they will road test it to make the noise happen and "fix" the problem. He stated they have service bulletins relating to rack noise and can fix the problem. I will let you know how this works out.
  • thaines1thaines1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 200 PF with factory rims and can not find anyone who can properly balance the tires. I am on my second set of tires and continue to get a vibration at 63 mph to 68 mph which no one can seem to eliminate. Some have told me that the rim with its large center hub is very difficult to balance. I do a lot of driving on the expressway and the car is no fun to drive with this problem. Any ideas short of replacing the rims?