Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Hey bd,

Sorry to hear that you think you have another reason not to like that new vehicle. The body tilt hopefully was a fluke from a bad spring (status?) and this sounds like some minor liftgate adjustment, hopefully. Keep the faith; overall, I think most owners have not had any "major" problems with these vis-a-vis the competition. This board is not necessarily a microcosm of the Pathfinder universe - I like to think that the vast majority are happily out there driving away and that it is only us diehards comparing notes on every bump, noise, and feeling! ;>

Anyway, just checked out my '03 LE for you. At first I thought you were experiencing the same sort of thing as with my passenger/driver's doors: the last door to shut has to be done with a strong push because the vehicle is sealed so tight. [If you have a door or window open, the doors close effortlessly.] But, unfortunately, that was not the case just now when I tested your problem. With ignition off, I used fob to unlock liftgate, opened it, and closed it normally using mainly the weight of the door - no problem like you describe. It is as tight/secure as ever. No difference if I did this with the driver's door partially open or not; also, no difference if ignition on.

Sorry, I wish I had some insight for you; can't understand why the ignition would make a difference. Your story, however, makes me recall one occasion where I started up and noticed the rear dome light was on for some reason - but red liftgate light on dash was NOT on. Liftgate was also closed completely. I opened and closed liftgate, dome light went out, and have forgotten all about it because never happened since. Hmmmmm?

Anyway, good luck. Again, the only manufacturer where I have consistently driven away with new vehicles and NEVER had one minor little question/issue is Honda. But, this Nissan is pretty damn close; so far, not an issue for me except I think I need a new style rear cargo mat (Husky maybe?) that doesn't slide around so much when the pooch is on board - but that's my fault! :) (N.B.: I may have to reconsider my Black Armor post). Besides, I would take a Pathfinder anyday over that first-year, People-moving Pilot . . . :>
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    Back to the issue of the car being sealed so tightly - when the ignition is on is there some level of automatic recirculation that comes on? If so, it would relieve the pressure that is preventing that last door (or liftgate) from closing tighly. I would suggest doing the same test with a window open. If it closes OK with the window open and ignition off then it is in fact a sealing issue.
  • mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    YEEEHAAAAAH!!! IT WASN'T THE DIFF OR THE HUBS. APPARENTLY SOME BOLTS LOOSENED UP AND SHEARED OFF. MY MECH. TAPPED OUT STUDS AND REPLACED BOLTS FOR FREE (HE OWED ME ONE FOR A BOTCHED JOB ON MY OTHER VEHICLE). WAS IN A RUSH WHEN I PICKED UP THE TRUCK SO I DIDN'T GET INTO DETAILS WHERE THE FAILURE WAS EXACTLY, OR HOW THIS COULD HAVE HAPPENED. JUST HAPPY IT'S FIXED, AND NO CHARGE WAS A BIG BONUS. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR FEEDBACK.
  • bd70bd70 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks for the responses, but I am sure at this point that the problem must have something to do with the latch tension which might be a function of the electrical system, at least maybe by defect in my case. I actually discovered the problem when I had the sunroof open, so its not an internal pressure deal. I guess I'm off to the dealer again.

Which leads me to the body tilt problem I had. I forgot to update you, but they ordered a new spring and it seems to have corrected the problem. The service rep, who incidentally, I intend to return a proper survey about (tear him a new one) finally agreed to do the job after refusing to take responsibility for the problem as a dealer of Nissan vehicles. Just totally unprofessional, but I digress. Next, I will have to address the power seat memory issue (on occasion doesn't return to the last position after putting the key back in the ignition). Otherwise, great vehicle. Did better than I had expected in the snow. I still love driving it.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I have this same problem on a VERY intermittant basis...maybe one time in 50. I don't have a clue what causes it, but since it is next to impossible to get it to happen when with the dealer, I have had no luck in getting it addressed. Luckily, it is easily fixed by pressing the memory button again for my seat position. I know others had the same problem...anyone had it fixed by the dealer?
  • bd70bd70 Member Posts: 30
    Yup, that is my situation exactly. I know it is no big deal, but I'd be happy if I didn't have to press the memory recall button every so often to make the seat do what it is supposed to do itself. I also couldn't recreate the problem at the dealer, and the rep, who also drives a PF, puts his seat all the way to the rear so I am certain he never experienced this problem. Any fixes for this?
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    Mine was doing this from day 1. I turned the darn thing off. I felt it was not necessary, put lots of extra wear on the power seat, and it annoyed me. Just another expensive useless gizmo to fail at the most inopertune time.
  • djjaydeedjjaydee Member Posts: 1
    every time it rains I blow a fuse for my rear tail lights, front running lights, and dash board lights which for some unforsaken reason are on the same circuit. I have been to the Nissan repair shop 3 times and they can not find the problem. they say it is something intermittent and that I must leave the vehicle for a few days so they can check it. I have already spent $400.00 with them to evaluate the problem by running diagnostic but I still have the problem and suggestions?
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    it doesn't move forward or backwards. I've turned off the engine and restarted, but still in same position...all the way back. Will take to dealer in next week for a fix. This has happened before, but after restarting the engine and driving, the seat would adjust to the memory set.
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    wow, please post back on the fix. Also, try to ask the dealer if they are aware of problems with the memory function. Thanks.
  • mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    OOPS, SPOKE TOO SOON. ONE BAD HUB CREATED THE OTHER PROBLEM. I AM HAVING USED PART INSTALLED TODAY. ON A DIFF. SUBJECT, WHERE WOULD YOU RECOMMEND BUYING REPLACEMENT STEP BARS AND REAR CHROME BUMPER FOR 1995 SE? BOTH ARE RUSTING THROUGH (I KNOW, BIG SURPRISE). THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    These guys look pretty good - http://www.purenissan.com/
    I haven't tried them personally, though. Perhaps someone else can comment on product quality.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    I've met with the owner of the company, Calmini Manufacturing.

Their stuff is well-built but there's not a whole lot out there right now for Nissan. They're in the process of growing their Nissan product line.

Automotive Customizers (4x4parts.com) is another source you can try for aftermarket parts.
    Ok, did my advanced searches but here it is to confirm:

Yes, the dreaded "check engine light" suddenly appeared this am on the way to work. Only 5,200 miles on this new '03 LE. :< Oh well, first problem to date; can't complain. Again, I like Nissan so far, just a hair short of my Hondas which never had anything. I got my fingers crossed that it's just the O2 sensors . . .

Anyway, it's not the gas cap - based on all the old posts here, I have religiously put the cap back every time. I checked this morning; it was on as usual, tight, no interference. After reinstalling and starting back up in garage, light came back on again.

Fortunately, I have an oil change appointment already for this Monday and just added this to the list for them. So, that I am fully informed with these service guys, let me make sure there is nothing else you guys want to add from what I read here. No way will they attempt to charge me on this! ;>

Pathstar a while back posted: "Both oxygen sensors were bad. Was told it was a common fault - too much sulpher in the fuel. There is a TSB on it. I was worried they would charge me as when I first checked with them, they said it would cost me $37.50 to connect it to the "Consult II" system to read the code, and that I should make sure it wasn't the gas cap. It ended up no charge."

Does anyone know the TSB # that I can point these guys to? After the 02 sensors, what is the next likely culprit on a brand new vehicle? Anything else that some have experienced caused this on their '01 or later PFs?

Thanks once again guys!
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    I have much trouble with the O2 sensors on my 95 Pathfinder. I had at least 4 replaced the 6 years I had it. I never did pay for diagnosis or replacement parts and labour.

For your information, I have had no trouble with the O2 sensors on my 2001 Pathfinder.

Ask the dealer for a free diagnosis.
    Hey, I just returned home and inspected the gas tank fill-up hole with a flashlight - isn't there supposed to be a small circular spring-like diaphragm that slides sidewise when you insert the nozzle into the hole? If so, mine isn't there any more! You have a straight view down into the tank! Remind me that you guys all can see one there and if so, I'll alert the service guys to see if mine's stuck. How bizarre.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    I have no flashlight handy but I can't see any diaphragm around where I insert the nozzle.... It seems to be opened straight through..... Never paid attention to that since I got the truck but I remember having such a diaphragm on other vehicles.
    Shoot! I thought for sure that would be the culprit, but (based on your vehicle and mine) apparently the 2001 and later models have no diaphragm/flap. Oh well, maybe it is the O2 sensors afterall . . .

I guess I'll go back to my Post #625 now and ask others if they have experienced any other issues (other than O2 sensors) when the "service engine soon" light comes on on a brand new vehicle? Thanks all.
    Well, good news I guess: they claim their diagnostic indicated a &#147;crooked&#148; gas cap (not sure how you test for that!?), and they simply reset the system (disconnected the battery). Can&#146;t believe that is what caused it, as I swear I would ALWAYS turn that cap for 5-6 clicks every time given the discussion of the issue here. They said there was no problem with the cap and that I just needed to make sure to hear 3 clicks each time. Anyway, no reason to doubt it for now as it&#146;s a new vehicle that hasn&#146;t had a problem yet. I will be even more religious about that darn cap now and see if I get the warning light again.

If I didn&#146;t have the oil change already scheduled, I may have checked gas cap and simply reset the system myself and waited to see if light came back on &#150; this seems to be a common enough occurrence that it may be a good idea to first check out before the hassle of hauling a new vehicle in for an appointment.
  • mchinmchin Member Posts: 22
    I have a 01 PF LE. I switched to 4 high one day while it was raining, and also to lubricate the bearings. Driving straight is fine but when I turn. The SUV studders. Does this mean the 4H has not engaged correctly? Has anyone come across this?
  • alwaysfordsalwaysfords Member Posts: 210
    It actually means your 4wd is working just fine. It also means the roads were not slick enough to allow slippage between the wheels on opposite sides of the car. The stuttering is the driveshafts binding up. This isn't a good thing - don't keep doing it. If you want to keep things lubricated do it in a straight line.
  • mchinmchin Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the info alwaysford. I hope I did not damage anything.
  • punky97punky97 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone help me here? Just bought a 2001 Pathfinder a few weeks ago. Everything was great with the vehicle until yesterday when it began making a clicking noise when the vehicle was in park and my foot is on the brake pedal. Called the local dealership and the guy said it was the solenoid(?). My wife brought it down for them to look at and they again said that was the problem and that Pathfinders just do that. What???? Pathfinders just do that?? He said they had one on the lot right now that did it as well. Can anyone help me here? Thanks.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    That is completely normal on all new cars (some you can just hear it more). That's the solenoid clicking, like they said. There is an interlock that keeps you from shifting out of park unless your foot is on the brake.
    Follow-up on this problem, as it now seems NOT to be the gas cap:

2003 4WD LE with only 6,000 miles

Week 1) Light came on steady, brought into Nissan service, ran diagnostic, failure code came up for the vehicle system in which a loose gas cap is often the culprit, so they reset codes and sent me away with doing nothing of course (I of course told them impossible - I give it 6 clicks every time I turn the cap!) . . . light came back on 2 days later.

Week 2) Brought back into Nissan service, ran diagnostic, same failure code came up for same vehicle system, so they now said bad gas cap, replaced, and reset codes and sent me away (I of course told them impossible - a new gas cap doesn't suddenly go bad; if it were a bad cap, it would have happened right away when I bought it!) . . . light came back on 2 days later.

Week 3) Brought back into Nissan service, ran diagnostic, same failure code came up for same vehicle system, so they called Nissan Technical who said it "could be" a bad switch that is related to the charcoal canister located underneath the rear driver side of the car (by the hitch mount area); they replaced a "purge control valve" (whatever that is) in the engine compartment that they said was reading "low" and reset codes . . . light came back on 2 days later, TODAY!!

I call the service manager just now who agreed to give me a loaner vehicle UNTIL they fix this darn thing. But, because I have little confidence in their diagnostics to date, I am looking for ideas on what could be causing this on my new vehicle. It seems clear that whatever is causing this failure code is on the same vehicle system as the gas cap; thus it must have something to do with the vacuum seal that the gas cap usually makes. If it's not the cap, what could it be that would cause the same sort of problem as a loose gas cap? Do you think a loose hose or connection in or around the charcoal canister (i.e., the black box by the hitch mount) could cause this? As you know, I disconnected and re-connected a couple hoses down there when I installed my hitch (see Options & Accessories). Or, could it be all the playing around in the deep snow this winter somehow contaminated that charcoal canister system under there? I am not even sure what/how the canister works.

I can tell you this: the re-triggering of the light after re-setting codes seems to be more dependent on a certain amount of time passing, rather than miles. In each instance, the light seemed to come back on a couple days later regardless of whether I had driven 30 miles or 80 miles in between. Also, whether I filled up the tank or not after the codes were reset does not seem to change things (one time I did, other two times I did not).

Should I try another dealer? Any TSBs that seem related? Could I have broken a seal in one of those canister filter hoses, or are those in no way related to the symptoms caused by a loose gas cap? Any and all ideas appreciated!
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    My service engine soon light came on around 30,000 miles. I always tighten the gas cap because I know this can cause that. I took it in to the dealership, told them it was not the gas cap. When I picked it up later they had reset the code & told me it was a loose gas cap. Before I got home the light came back on. Before I could take it back to them I did the 30,000 mile maintenance. While checking the EVAP lines I found one completely off under the hood. I put it back on & a few days later the light reset itself. So, you may want to check all of these.
    Sounds like a familiar routine, huh, sending 'em home without any follow-up beyond the gas cap . . . even though we all know to be anal about the thing given the PF's penchant for problems if not clicked enough times.

I'll let them know to check the EVAP lines (I hope they already considered this . . . but who knows), but I am still curious about how the charcoal canister may affect things . . . I'm concerned if my removing of those rubber hoses to it (to install the hitch's mount bolts) and then re-installing could somehow have caused this . . . I think I only undid one hose and let the canister dangle while doing install . . .
  • punky97punky97 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the help smokey75. I guess what I still do not understand, though, is why it didn't do it for two weeks and now does. But thanks again for responding.
  • goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    See if you can find out what the OBD-II code is. Then go to the following website to look it up:
    http://www.obdii.com/codes.asp
    This may help you pinpoint the problem since the nimrods at the stealer can't usually figure it out.
    Thanks! I had looked for something like that, but had no luck. That link is a great resource and should be bookmarked. Unfortunately, there was no match for my internal failure code P1456. From the "anatomy" chart link, it is clear that code means there is something wrong in the auxiliary emission controls. Ahhh, so I wish it were only the gas cap afterall.

Well, it is in the shop for the 4th time as of this am and I am driving around in a "wonderful" 1998 240SX loaner . . . I'm trying to give Pat Goss his due and be patient on these service engine light problems, realizing it is often a slow process of elimination . . . but if they don't fix it this time, and I have to bring it back yet again for a 5th attempt, I'd be curious to hear what sort of dispensation others have asked for (and received) when they have been in such a situation.

Come on Nissan - this thing has less than 6K miles and has otherwise been great . . . again, I think back to my three 100% Hondas which never went in ONCE for this sort of thing in all the years I owned them. But taking my own advice, I am keeping the faith as this is really not a big deal . . . other than the hassle of bringing it in every week! What I wouldn't give for this to have come up as a simple faulty O2 sensor . . .
    This is what the reader says P1456 is:

SAE Code P1456
    DTC Code 17864
    Description Exhaust gas temperature control bank 1 limit attained
  • nico3062nico3062 Member Posts: 3
    Need some help to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Bought the car from a Ford dealership who said the brake pads were within specification and that it looked like after market pads were causing the squeal. Had them cleaned and it stopped for a day. They don't squeal all the time, but enough to be annoying. Took it to another place, I always take my car to and they said the pads were not totally worn, but close to it. Also mentioned my rotors were "lipped". Said I might need new rotors. I went ahead and had him change pads and left rotors to see if the better pads fix the problem. Can anyone elaborate if they have had this problem? I guess thats what I get from buying a Nissan from a Ford Dealership.

Thanks,
    Nico

Bought the car from a Ford dealership who said the brake pads were within specification and that it looked like after market pads were causing the squeal. Had them cleaned and it stopped for a day. They don't squeal all the time, but enough to be annoying. Took it to another place, I always take my car to and they said the pads were not totally worn, but close to it. Also mentioned my rotors were "lipped". Said I might need new rotors. I went ahead and had him change pads and left rotors to see if the better pads fix the problem. Can anyone elaborate if they have had this problem? I guess thats what I get from buying a Nissan from a Ford Dealership.

Thanks,
    Nico

Thanks,
    Nico
    Thanks Goose; I couldn't (and still can't) get that reader on the link you gave to come up with that when I select Nissan and input my failure code. In any event, it is still in Nissan Service where they are replacing the charcoal canister filter below the vehicle on driver's side rear . . . so I guess all my questions about that being on the list of potential culprits are now moot. We shall see if this 4th time is the charm . . . after that, they better be comping my a couple years of free oil changes or something . . .

Anyone making odds that this repair will fix the service engine soon light? ;>>
    Well, it's been 6 days since you wrote that last email. Has your stealer been able to resolve the problem?
    I would try the OEM Nissan brake pads. Sometimes the off-make brands can cause squealing. If you can DIY, go to www.irontoad.com and get them for $40.
    Was waiting until more had happened until full report, but here's update:

They had the car for four days and were getting the same code as usual. So, they decide they would replace that charcoal canister filter that I had been asking about in my earlier posts. ( real hit or miss strategy, huh?) In the process of disconnecting hoses, they said they noticed an abnormal "back-up" of gasoline in a hose down there and report back that they are POSITIVE some valve is the culprit. They ask if I ever top off my tank, and when I told them I absolutely never had done so once, they were even more sure they found the culprit. Apparently, this valve is some type of shutter valve associated with the gas tank and some sort overflow? when people top off. Since, I don't top off, they knew that the valve had failed, leading to the back-up in this hose. So, they put the canister filter back on and ordered this valve. It is supposed to come in today, so YES, I will be going back in for my 5th trip today or tomorrow! IF this repair is successful, then I will report back with the exact part # and description of what went wrong with the original valve on a brand new vehicle. I don't quite understand yet what this valve is or what role it plays, but don't feel like researching it yet if it does not solve the problem. But, if it does, I WILL ask why it is that the original failed so that others can avoid the BS I've been through. Maybe a flook with a 1 in a million defective original valve? Perhaps this is the case . . . because none of you out there seem to be reporting back that you have ever had this problem with your late model Pathfinders. (usually this light seems to be caused by a bad O2 sensor . . . a "standard" problem I have of course even had with my Hondas). Fingers and toes are crossed.

My satisfaction though with my purchase has only dropped from 100% to say 98%, so potential purchasers don't be mistaken. I know I would be shooting myself if I had bought that more expensive Runner and then had to agonize (as I am apt to do) over paint problems, hitch difficulty, rear windshield wiper missing glass problems, etc. with a first-year model that exist over there. I think those things would cause me more grief and remorse than these 5 trips for what is hopefully a fluke . . . but we shall see, right!?! ;>>
  • jstonerockjstonerock Member Posts: 2
    I took my 02 Pathfinder in to the dealer. He fixed my vibration in the roof rack. Sure is a lot quieter now. There is a Tech bulletin on it.
  • sngpathsngpath Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1990 Pathfinder that has been unable to past smog. I appears that there is too much fuel getting into the Catalectic Converter. The Catalectic Converter was replaced within the last month. Looking for suggestions for solutions to the problem.
  • pauloscar1pauloscar1 Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 LE beeps as well. The service manager said it was the smart module and he replaced it, yet the thing still beeps. Have you had any luck?
  • deebardacdeebardac Member Posts: 23
    At 42000 miles it still beeps occasionally. As we live 130 miles from our dealer we do not meet very often, I guess we just gave up, The vehicle is behaving beautifully so I just put the beep down to a friendly comment agreeing to what fun it is to drive. Anyway it does not appear to portend any disaster...yet.
  • boatman7boatman7 Member Posts: 7
    I just had 2 "UA's" with my 2003 Pathfinder. One while braking at a red light and the other after starting the truck up and putting it into gear.
    It really freaked me out. Seems the brake pedal is too close to the gas pedal and it also drops below the gas pedal when applied. I don't like this set up and will take it up with my dealer.
    Status Report: Well, this little "problem" is slowly escalating into a nightmare (explains my silence lately; been busy with all my demand letters to Nissan corporate!).

Yes, last Wednesday, the new gas tank / valve part came in and they did the repair (as you know from my previous posts, this was the fourth attempt and fifth trip to the dealer!). Believe it or not, the repair involved replacing the entire gas tank with a new one because this alleged defective fuel gag valve is integrated into the tank design.

Remember now, they swore this was the source and would solve the "service engine soon" light problem . . . . yet the very next day it came back on again! :< To add insult to injury, both of the sunroof buttons would not work properly just prior to the light coming on. This sunroof problem only occurred for a brief period, so there is no way I can repeat it for the dealer, but basically the one-touch open button only made it tilt, and the tilt button only caused it to open in 2" intervals with each push of the button. Aargh . . . strange . . .unbelievable. [P.S. When I discovered this sunroof behavior, it was about 30 seconds later that the "service engine soon" light went on . . . hmmmmmmm???]

So where are we? Believe it or not: LEMON LAW time. Yep. I purchased my vehicle last October 7 and now, approximately five months after purchase, I am having all this trouble with the malfunction indicator lamp (i.e., "service engine soon" light). So, I took the vehicle to Nissan service on March 24, March 31, April 7, April 14, and April 28 to have it corrected, but to date, the dealer has failed. As I said above, this dealership has attempted to repair this nonconformity four times (five visits total). I have kept a summary of details and notes that I have compiled describing each of my five visits to the dealership during the months of March and April, and I may eventually post it here. But basically, under VA Lemon Law (other states somewhat similar), if a nonconformity significantly impairs the use, market value, or safety of a vehicle, and has been subject to repair three or more times by a Nissan dealership and the same nonconformity continues to exist, then you can send Nissan Consumer Affairs a letter serving as notice of their final opportunity to correct or repair the nonconformity. Unless they are able to correct the nonconformity within 15 days of the receipt of this letter, then you can request that they accept return of the vehicle and refund the full purchase price under the provisions of the Virginia Motor Vehicle Warranty Enforcement Act. In addition, pursuant the statute, you can request that they refund all collateral charges and incidental damages (in my case, $1,300 of aftermarket accessories better be refunded!). You can also get compensation for mileage, expenses, and reasonable loss of use necessitated by the attempts to conform the vehicle to the express warranty. If you don't like what they offer, you can sue and get attorney's fees and courts costs.

Basically, I had no idea that my vehicle was legally a LEMON until I read the statute and talked to others, including a friend who is a lemon law attorney. But, I am sure glad it does qualify (score one for the consumer), because the frustration that this is causing is at the point where you lose confidence in the vehicle (and/or the Nissan service dept.). Hey WT, maybe I should have bought that 4Runner after all! . . . but I am trying to keep perspective here. I will report here everything that happens so that you all have some idea of how Nissan treats their customers in these situations. I hope it is as good as the manual states, but I have now had more trips to the Nissan dealer for this problem with this, my first new vehicle, then I ever had with the three used Hondas of the past!

Did Consumer Reports miss something here? :/ Even if they can fix this, how do I keep the faith (as I've put it to others) once the statutory period for Lemon Law expires (18 months) and the standard warranty ends at 3 years??? Could you imagine having this thing occur during the rest of the vehicle's life and actually having to pay to fix it?? And the temporary sunroof thing really does a number to you - has anyone had this happen during an initial operation after the dealer has had to disconnect the battery (to install the new gas tank)?

All comments, feedback, and questions welcomed.
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    Hello Mjohnr99,

Its really sad to read your post. You were so satisfied of your purchase and you even helped me keep the faith when I experienced doubts about my choice.

So far I've been luckier than you (I'm touching wood here...). Aside from my poor radio reception problem (minor...) the ride has been very smooth so far and smoother than when I got my 4Runner (remember that I had been to the dealer over 5 times to get an issue fixed too when the 4Runner was brand new...)

Judging by some of the problems you've described maybe it is an electrical problem afterall. Maybe that the onboard CPU fails to receive some data because of this and then triggers the "service light" because it is not sure was is going on.....

Anyway, I wish you all the luck possible to get that issue resolved to your satisfaction.

If you plan to change, I just hope you'll be able to drag this long enough to be able to pickup a 2004 4Runner with all the "new model" issues fixed.

WT
    I think the 4Runner comment was a little tongue-in-cheek, as yes, the first year issues would be killing me as well. But, I still feel like I am on the ropes of patience here with Nissan. As you know, one of THE MOST IMPORTANT issues for me throughout the 4Runner search and then defection to Nissan was reliability and staying out of the shop for even the littlest annoyance - I was so spoiled by Honda that I sought out another Japanese vehicle that I thought would be on par with Honda, Toyota's Runner, etc. This, unfortunately has gone beyond little annoyance into BIG PAIN . . . they are tearing apart my original vehicle for repairs that are obviously not the source. :< (I don't ever like the idea of people tinkering with things as they originally came from the factory. Now I have an entirely different gas tank . . .). Since, no one else has chimed in about a "service engine soon" light that they couldn't get fixed on a 5 month old vehicle after 5 visits to the dealer, I have to think this is a flook and maybe I did get a Lemon. Before I would want them to tear out the CPU, I would want them to live up to the statute so I could start from scratch (if they were really nice, they'd give me something for all this hassle, but I know that's dreamin'). I am trying to keep perspective, the jury is still out, and am I still hoping they will be able to fix this with some sort of major dispensation now that I have a vehicle that received unneccesary repairs and will always wonder whether that light will come on past the 30K warranty mark. Aaargh. The sunroof thing I don't even want to think about (am I really the only one that has experienced that temporary flook?).

Well, thanks for your comments WT. I am hanging in there and trying my best to look on the bright side. But, even the best of us can succumb to that feeling "never to buy a Nissan again" based on (only) our own one personal experience. [Reminds me of a friend who swore to stick to Japanese and never to buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee again after a zillion trips to the shop in 3 years of ownership.] But, still keeping the faith here (after all I have been through, the irony of this happening to me at least gives me a good laugh). In the end, hopefully others will benefit by knowing how Nissan handles such a situation with me in case they ever have to deal with corporate . . . I'll keep you posted.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Been off the site for a few months, and just got back (with a slightly different user name for now - I was Pathstar). Just got back from a trip from Edmonton Alberta to Courtney BC (on Vancouver Island). If you read through the message base you will see I also had the dreaded "service engine soon" light - and it turned out to be two O2 sensors. Other than that, my 2001 LE has never been to the dealer (and they don't like that). I do all my own servicing (lubing and checking things). After this last trip to the coast, I'm still very happy with this vehicle. The power is amazing, and the fuel economy is not too bad - burned 14 l/100 km on worst tanks and 11.2 on best tanks - the best mileage was on hwy 99 from Lilooet to Courtney (and on the return trip). Very steep hills etc. in heavy mountainous terrain, but slow (80 km/hr max legal). Worst tank was faily level (in Alberta) but fast at 110 km/hr max legal. I use 92 octane 10% ethenol fuel (Mohawk).
    How happy was I when driving? On the end of the first day (I like to stay in Lilooet) appoaching my overnight stay, I had it off cruse and was just driving a "comfortable" speed, not paying too much attention to the speedo/GPS on 99 (legal limit was 80 km/hr - 50 MPH) as it was the end of the day and I was getting tired. I got "bleeped" by an RCMP moving instant on radar, and when I looked down I was doing 110 km/hr (cringe) on a wonderful winding road. In a 4300 lb SUV! BTW, I didn't get stopped, though I and the two vehicles following were very nervous all the way to Lilooet (and slowed down). Appearantly we were not stopped because we were wearing our seatbelts (April was seatbelt month in BC). Go figure.
    Not to recommend speeding or anything, which I rairly do anyway, it was just so comfortable at that speed and I was enjoying taking the corners.

David - record still clean (knock on wood)
  • pauloscar1pauloscar1 Member Posts: 2
    The beep was corrected by replacing the radio. It seems to be fine.
  • texamau1texamau1 Member Posts: 42
    Hi,
    Does any one know how to re wire the foglights so it can be use with the parking lights only (instead the low beam)?
    Thanks
  • wcrolandwcroland Member Posts: 26
    I have a 2003 LE and I think my sunroof has a problem, dealer says no, and haven't had time to look on the lot and try out. When you push the slide for the sunroof to open, it opens up like you hit the venting switch, closes, then goes back, it does the reverse when you want to close it. I don't remember my 2001 doing this? Can anyone verify how their 2001 and 2003 work?