Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MB M Class Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    I am replacing the brakes pads for the second time at 52,000 on a '00 ML430. Can someone tell me who the manufacturer of the Original equipment (rear) pads was? We are having a terrible time finding aftermarket numbers for PAGID or Textar brands. VIN is A-168557 I am looking for the least expensive replacement due to having 3 mos left on the lease.

Thanks, Mark
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    This is precisely the reason why I am a bit wary of buying off-lease vehicles. Most owners treat it knowing that they will return it in two/three years. :)
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    Hi all!!
    I have an 03 ML 350 with 6500 miles on; The gas guage has been acting up; At approximately a 100 miles after fill up, it drops down to near half tank; If I tried refilling the tank, It wouldn't take more than 7 gals. What's worse, I start seeing the red indicator light after 210 miles approximately...
    The dealer keeps insisting that they do not see any error codes - So, replacement of any part is out of the question :O(
    Anyone experience this before? I am thinking of calling 1800 Mercedes about this. But, I would appreciate any input before I do so. I do have the JD Power Survey with me and I haven't mailed it yet -I am definitely gonna mention this to MBUSA if I get any evasive replies... Don't know what else I could do?!?
    Signed,
    An otherwise satisfied (for now, at least!) owner of an ML!
  • llcoollaillcoollai Member Posts: 5
    njexpress,

I just recently bought my 2003 ml 350 (with 1900 miles)for $41K even, with every option possible except parktronics, inspiration, and convenience package, and I had the same problem with the gas gauge like you described. About 6-7 gallons of gas aren't reading on gauge. The SUV is reading only 15-16 gallons. I took the SUV back for diagnotic. They replaced a few components related to the feul tank??? I pumped gas again when it was low. Nope, the problem was still there. I could only pump about 15 gallons max. Plan to take it back to dealership next week.

I'll update progress of problem on board.

Did I overpay for the my wife's ML 350???? Thanks

Lawrence
  • sap1sapsap1sap Member Posts: 2
    boy, after looking at the cardirects.com for ML 350 prices and after reading all the problem associated w/ ML models, I wonder if I should go with the MDX instead. For starter, at 40K+, you still don't have some of the 'niceties' in ML that MDX has as standard. To get the 'convenience' stuffs, I have to shell out another 5K+ to 8K+ on top of the 40K+ ... I realize that MDX also have its own problems and issues but overall, it seems the quality is a lot better than the ML... What to do, what to do ???
  • mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    I'd say, do more research: maybe you'll come to the same conclusion; and, even if you come to appreciate MLs more, it still may not be the best car for you. But, my feeling is that these two cars are not comparable, e.g., you're not going to see a MDX in the Paris to Dakar race and most people would not buy a MDX to tow with. And, you're not going to read about MBs on some forums that don't have detractors, no matter what the model--you have to go deeper into your research to get past a relatively few loud and vocal brand bashers. However, for the money you're talking about, e.g., $40K + $5-8K, you're into the range in which you can get a new ML500 which is a great choice, e.g., try this link:

http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_wards_ten_best/

As far as money goes, I think the MDX will obviously be cheaper--ML is cheaper than a Toyota Land Cruiser--but, there are many choices that are cheaper yet so there's always less expensive options. Plus, you can spend even more, e.g, an E-class AWD station wagon, and I've heard some good things about Lexus and a neighbor has a new Escalade that gets treated very will in the press (I like his XMI radio) and costs more so have fun researching.
    Interesting that you mentioned you couldn't pump more than 15 gallons. I've never driven past the red indicator level, myself. I shall try pushing my luck this week when I am alone and see how far I can go on a full tank and if I run out of gas, I shall push the "I" button on the roof... Just gotta make sure that my wife and my 2 month old are not on board ;0)
    I will definitely post what transpires...
    As to overpaying - Here's my take - I don't bother checking prices AFTER I buy - It is only gonna make me feel sad. No matter how good my deal was, there will always be a better deal, somewhere....
    Feel bad still? Just look at the wonderful interior of your ML and feel proud for the quality and execution!!! Without exaggeration, It can put some high end leather sofas to shame. What color is your ML? Mine's white with Java, Sun Roof, Leather, Bose, No seat memory; Other than the stiff ride, I enjoy everything this truck has to offer!!!
    Good Luck and Enjoy your ML!!!!
    njexpress,

I will bring the ml 350 in for service this Friday. Hope it gets fix. I'll update on Saturday or after it gets repaired.

My ml 350 is brillant silver with charcoal leather. It comes with sport chrome package, heated seats, 3rd row seat, sunroof, CD changer, wood steering wheel, xenon lights, bose audio sytem, chrome front grill, tint, and navigation system. I love the SUV and the options. It looks every sporty and stylish. I love driving it on weekends and on long trips. My wife drives it on weekdays. Although it drives like a truck, I think the performance and steering is excellent for the size and weight of SUV. I drive a Mercedes Benz S500--exceptional sedan by the way, and I think the ml 350 is very good for a truck.

The ML class only looks good if you upgrade from the basic model--my opinion.
  • diesel11diesel11 Member Posts: 21
    I always find it interesting (and somewhat concerning) to see all of the extremely negative reviews on the ml. I have a 2003 ML-350, Black with black leather interior. We got the inspiration edition, which has larger wheels, chrome grill and the nice stitching on the leather.
    I love this vehicle, and I have not had any reliability concerns in the first 12000 miles.

I think the inspiration edition and the ml 500 look more aggressive in styling than the base 350. Just my opinion though. My other car is a lexus gs300, which I also love, but for very different reasons.

I understand some of the reliability issues with the eatlier versions of the ML 320, but according to consumer reports, THe 2003 ML350 is average reliability. IMHO the ml350 has improved their reliability (not to lexus standards), which is typical as the model gets further into it's 7-8 year cycle for major re-design.

I have always bought end of model-run vehicles for this reason. Again, just my opinion. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
    Diesel11,

At the beginning, I was reluctant to buy the 2003 ml 350 for my wife because of reliability issues. Actually,I wanted the new 2003 GX 470. But after purchasing it and driving it for several months, I really enjoyed the SUV.

Although it has some problems, the dealership that I bought it from is very good when it comes to service.
  • claymore1claymore1 Member Posts: 21
    New to this forum and feeling some doubts about the M-class brake issues mentioned in past postings. Some work mates I know with M-class MB's have had to change their brakes at rather low mileage( 20,000 mi??!!). Have you experienced any problems with the brakes? Thanks for your attention
  • diesel11diesel11 Member Posts: 21
    It's funny, I think my wife and I are almost waiting for something terrible to go wrong with our ML350...it's like every little noise or rattle may be the sign of an impending reliability crisis. Actually, this is an overstatement, because we love the vehicle and it's running perfectly.

Some food for thought on reliability. The survey that consumer reports does for reliability has usually hated all the mercedes products, especially the suvs. However, this is alargely unscientific survey that has a 10% response rate, which clearly will over-estimate the very unhappy consumers who are probably more likely to respond. Also, it is worth noting that the difference between a CR reliable vehicle and an unreliable one can be only a few % points in a relatively un-scientific survey. However it's always made me a bit nervous to own a mercedes because you don't see these poorer results in most of the luxury Japanesse vehicles.

JD Power also has had some concerns with Mercedes as well.

Bottom line is that it's almost impossible to get completely accurate reliability ratings from any source. As well, it probably depends on the year of the vehicle and how you drive and maintain it.

There is an interesting site from some of the Chrysler people who discuss the full limitations of CR reliability studies, but what else is there that's a better estimate?

Just making conversation.

Fred
    claymore1,

My ML has only 2000+ miles, so I might not be the best person to give you brake advice. But so far, it has been fantastic. I live in sunny and dry Orange County, California, so I have not tested the SUV's braking ability.

I'll be taking my wife and daughter to Yosemite National Park in a couple of weeks for several days. I plan to test the SUV in snow and off-road. It's going to be fun and dirty.

Lawrence
  • mac320mac320 Member Posts: 147
    Chains were required. However, AWD with M+S tires didn't need to put them on.

[img]http://www.ml500.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/1002- 6/Yosemite.JPG[/img]
    I barely have 6800 miles on my '03 ML and it is too early to say anything but:
    1) The braking is phenomenal
    2) The not so good thing is is that I see a lot of brake dust on the front wheels everytime I wash them. Never seen so much, ever, on my Camry though...
    Like Diesel pointed out, after all the bad rap, It's like you keep looking for something to go wrong with the truck...
    I must say though that my gas guage issue is unresolved and i had to get my CD changer eplaced 2 days after taking delivery of the truck - I never tested it before delivery - My fault really - I was conscientious enough to see if there was a spare in the wheel well, but ignored the CD changer...
    Other than these, I have been very happy so far - I am also happiER with my Camry - It is a MY2000 and pushing 92K miles....
    Cheers!!
    --njexpress!
    hi! Lcoollai,
    Here's what I found:
    I drove 260 HWY miles on a full tank of gas before my next fill up. There was some idling at rest stops, for about 20 minutes in all.
    I hit half tank at 120 miles and the low gas indicator came on at 252 miles. I filled up again at 260 and it took roughly 17 gals, netting me just above 15 MPG. I was driving in the 77-83 MPH range except for occasional spurts to 90+ during passing. Made sure I stayed below the 3000 RPM peak torque band always, unless I wanted to pass. There were 4 adults and one infant plus light luggage in all.
    The gas mileage doesn't upset me very much since I DO have a heavy foot. The low gas light came on roughly with 6 gallons to empty... Not sure if this is correct though.
    The thing that really is useful is that, I don't have to psyche unless the trip meter hits 250.
    Bottom Line: Guage display is still not right but, I know what to expect, at least...
    Good Luck!
  • michml320michml320 Member Posts: 42
    I had a 2002 ML320. I required pads around 30,000 miles. At 38,000 miles, while in for warranty work, they said I needed new pads all around and rotors all around. I questioned that how do I need new pads after only 8,000 miles? They stated I did and I ok'd the work. When the work was completed, they 're-examined' the front pads and rotors and stated that they could probably go awhile more. The bottom line is that it seems ML's eat pads and rotors for breakfast and at $1,000/full set, it's a meal fit for a king. Too bad it's a pretender to the throne.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    wow after how many years until the ML improved to "average", Geeee MB how competitive.
    MB should be a lot better jd powers also thinks so.

brakes--go to sears, and for 15$ they check the specs, did this with my lexus because lexus told me i needed brakes all around and to replace all pads. sears said (and they quantitated it against lexus specs) --i had 30k miles left and put it in writing(sears saved me $420). you still need to confirm all dealer recommended services.....as Ronald Reagan said "trust but confirm" next time try sears for a second opinion. I liked my lexus but i feel the service depts can "push" you into more frequent services, same at my local MB dealer. how many dealers don't???
  • brown38brown38 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2000 ML430 and I am a fairly good mechanic. The brakes cost $300.00 per set at the Mercedes Dealer and that is the only place I found the right pads.... $150.00 front, $150.00 rear. They wear out fast because they are relatively small for such a heavy vehicle and it has the traction control which pulses the brakes to reduce wheel spin/slippage. With bad driving habits you could replace every 15K. My gage is non-linear so I just fill up when the light comes on; this is an obvious defect but MB will never admit it. I want to sell my ML430 and buy a Toyota Sequoia so anybody reading this is welcome to buy or trade with me.
  • adplusoneadplusone Member Posts: 66
    Finally got some response out of MBUSA on problems (accelerator hesitation and a transmission that downshifts at will) on our 2002 ML-320. They are going to pay off our lease (14 months left out of 36) IF we move into another MB product.

My wife really likes the ML (when it is working) and it is her daily driver. My question is this:

How much does the 04 ML-500 share with her 02 ML-320 in terms of mechanicals that could have been the cause of the problems?

Thanks!

Jeff

McAllen, Texas
  • msonntagmsonntag Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2003 ML500 Inspiration Edition. Tried to "train" two of the garage door opener buttons to activate each of my Genie garage door openers (one button for left door, another button for right door). I have a C-class that can be trained very easily to my doors, and I've never had problems with it. The instructions for training the ML500 are exactly like those of the C, but I can't get the ML to train. Any similar experiences? How did you get the problem fixed? Any suggests about what to try? Thanks in advance.
  • buckaroo067buckaroo067 Member Posts: 22
    I need some advice ... I need to tow my boat from Pittsburgh to New Jersey and was considering installing a hitch on my ML350. My boat has a dry weight of 3500 pounds and the towing capacity is stated at 5,000 lbs. I'm a bit worried about towing close to the 5,000 lb capacity (boat + trailer + misc load) across PA since there are some fairly steep up-hill climbs coming out of Pittsburgh. Any advice on whether or not I should attempt this. If it were a flat route I would have no problem towing this boat.
  • chumsaechumsae Member Posts: 61
    I misplaced our manual and wound up going to
    the MB web site which, after clicking on a few
    buttons, had instructions to program the ML
    buttons. The instructions worked fine.
  • mmhmmh Member Posts: 9
    I am considering purchasing an ML 350. I am currently torn between the ML and the MDX. Has the reliability of the 2004 improved over the previous years? The activity on this board has certainly slowed down.
  • oohaypuoohaypu Member Posts: 7
    My 2002 ML 500 had both problem described here.
    My brake system was changed around 5K because there was some squeak noise.
    Dealer said the problem was with the special circuit of brake system.
    Then at 20K now, dealer changed pad/rotor for $690 because they were worn out.
    That was a surprise to me because I didn't drive the truck that much and 90% are highway mileage.
    The gas gauge was changed around 15K and it seems to have problem again.
    The last time I only filled 16G when the needle pointed under the amber light.
    Normally, it needs at least 20 to 21 G at that position.
    I enjoyed the truck for only 1 year, after that, many problems showed up.
    I just gave the dealer a big list of problems on Monday. My truck is only in for the first Plan B service.
    Sigh, I wish I had chose Lexus LX470.
  • 04redtahoe04redtahoe Member Posts: 17
    I had a 2002 ML320 and the dealer was *constantly* telling me I needed new pads and rotors. I'm convinced it's a freebie tactic they use to get you when you bring in your car for scheduled service or warranty work. Tell them you're going to get them double checked at an independent brake shop. I finally traded in my ML320. Too many problems.
  • adplusoneadplusone Member Posts: 66
    No Scheduled Maintainence With 2005 Models? I keep seeing this rumor that MBUSA will no longer include scheduled maintainence with the 2005 models...that they cost will go back to the owner.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!
  • will1will1 Member Posts: 2
    This is 1999 M-class. One day the lock button on the driver's door is stuck down. May have been caused by using the key in the door at the same time someone else used the remote. Neither remote nor central unlock nor key nor pulling on the button would unlock it. The door did open from inside, but remained locked. The fix was to just turn the key really hard to unlocked position, that caused the button to finally pop up. Might be smart to use the back-up key for this...
  • chumsaechumsae Member Posts: 61
    Our 2000 ML320 was in for B-Service and the service advisor called to say they recommended
    replacement of the fuel filter at 60,000 miles
    and the fuel lines which are now "new and improved". The cost quoted was $485.00. And,
    they couldn't just replace the filter because
    they don't supply the old style - the new style
    requires fuel line replacement.

I asked the advisor to double check the price or see if this was something M-B should pay for and
    nothing changed.

Has anyone heard of this?
  • gatortomgatortom Member Posts: 3
    In April 2001 M-B sent out Tech Service Information (T-SI-47,10/13) Subj: Installing Supplemental Lines for Large Capacity Fuel Filter with Pressure Regulator. The retrofit should have been done at the vehicle's next service visit after April 2001. I'm with you...they should have done it during the period when maintenance was free (i.e. before 4 yr/50,000). My 2000 ML 320 (65,500 miles) has been acting up on and off for two weeks+ and the dealer tech's haven't been able to sort out the problem. A non-M-B technician checked out the problem first and concluded it was the fuel pump. He priced the repair work at about $950. The other likely culprit is the crankshaft position sensor (about $350). We got stranded again today and towed it to the dealer again! On Monday hopefully, it still won't start so they can figure it out and fix it once and for all. I've been a good customer (two cars and all the repair work) and they offered to help with "after warranty assistance" if I covered about $450 of the cost.) We'll see how it goes.
  • she1122she1122 Member Posts: 33
    Hey everyone,

Does anyone know if or when the ML will come out with a diesel motor? I am thinking of looking at the Lexus 330 and the BMW X3 and not getting another ML, even though I have been happy with it. If Mercedes is going to put it out with a Diesel, I will wait

This gas price upward spiral is getting expensive!

p.s. I was told yesterday by a Mercedes dealer, that Mercedes will not pay for routine service on 05 Mercedes, after the 1st service. They will continue to pay for all warranty work but not routine service. those of us with 04 and older ML's under warranty will continue to receive the free services.
  • peter2peter2 Member Posts: 1
    The fuel gauge on 2001 ML 320 (about 61K miles) has taken on a life of it's own and unfortunately it has no longer has a relationship with the amount of fuel in my tank. I was advised by an independent MB service center that it was a problem with the sending unit but replacement of a lot of other things (like the fuel pump, filter and hoses) was necessary in order get a fix. The bottom line...about $900. He also advised that this was a common problem. Does anyone know of any TSBs out on this and given that this seems to be a recurring problem, is MB willing to make the repairs or at least do the repair at a reasonable price.
    Turns out that it was the fuel pump and the dealer covered half the repair costs (plus the towing charge). Only took three weeks to get it back. It worked fine after that for a month, but today the check engine light came on--Great, what next! Still love the car, but getting fed up with the repair costs (time & money).
  • halofanhalofan Member Posts: 37
    In the two years, I have owned my 2002 ML 320 (only 18.5K miles!), I have been in the shop at least 10 times. I've had the BAS/ESP light come on, this needed to be fixed 3 times, with the last being the ABS pump being replaced to resolve the problem. I've had 3 throttle cables, blower motor behind dash needing to be replaced, I've had seats that have bubbled, last week it was a relay switch in the A/c fans that stuck, killing the battery, I needed new front pads and rotors at 14K miles, $600...There is a rattle somewhere in the interior that I can't and the dealer can't find. Dollar for dollar, the ML has not been worth it, although I do admit, I do like the way it drives...
  • amarceliaamarcelia Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99ML. My current problem is body squeaks, mostly coming from the seals around the rear doors. I had this problem under warranty and they replaced the seals and it was fine for over a year but the problem is back. It squeaks when driving over any uneven surface.
  • don99lhsdon99lhs Member Posts: 9
    Today my check engine light came on. It appears my Mass Air Meter needs replacement. Has anybody done this before, themselves? I have priced the part through the benz bin for $290 with free shipping, is this a good price?

Thanks,
    Don
    2000 ML320
  • don99lhsdon99lhs Member Posts: 9
    Where did you find the mass air meter for $211. I found it at the benz bin for $290.

Was it easy to install?

thanks,
    don smith
    2000 ML320
  • rkurellarkurella Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 ML320 which I took to the dealership for Flexible Service B. I also wanted them to look int the Check Engine light that lights up at random.

They charged me $89 for diagnostic and told me that it was the Oxygen Sensor that needs replacing and gave me an estimate of about $384.

Has anyone had to replace this Oxygen Sensor and if so, what is the price you paid for the replacement? Also when is it due for the Spark Plugs to be replaced?

Thanks.
  • jysimjysim Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever get the squeaking fixed? About how much should that run? I have a 99ML that's doing the same thing. It squeaks like a rusty hinge with any little bump in the road.
    2002 ML 320. Anyone familiar with a passenger seat sensor failure that causes the passenger side air bag to disable? We seem to get the SRS and ABS lights coming on and off as we drive. Is there a way to override the baby safe sensor so the air bag would deploy in an accident? (We would never think of driving with our grand kids car seats in the front.) The dealer said the passenger seat had to be taken apart to fix it (~$550). He didn't know if it could be reprogrammed in the computer.
  • halofanhalofan Member Posts: 37
    Sounds like a warranty issue if you aren't over 50K miles...
  • tributeowner1tributeowner1 Member Posts: 2
    The paint finish on my ML350 chips way too easily. I only have 12,000 miles and the hood looks worse that my old '98 ML320 that had 80,000 miles when i sold it last year. Anyone else have similar problems? Should I speak to the dealer? TIA
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    We have a 2003 ML500 with the same problem. Also the finish on the window trim has peeled and been replaced once already. We are just going to trade for a Lexus GX470. I have had many Mercedes but their quality and service attitude has gotten to the point that I don't want to deal with them. Although I have purchased Mercedes from them since 79 (450SEL,560 SEC,560SL,500 SL,S500) they almost never have a loaner despite advace notice and have a van with inflexible times. My employees take their Lexus's in for service and ALWAYS get a Lexus loaner. I will be phasing out of the S500 also and will consider the LS430. I will keep my older Mercedes with an independent service facility.
  • gr8artgr8art Member Posts: 1
    My fuel guage has recently developed a mind of its own and fuel level reading is never close to accurate> I was wondering if any one else has/or is experiencing this and if they have found a solution and/or cost to remedy this situation?
    Any help is appreciated
    Diana
  • donmconsultdonmconsult Member Posts: 2
    The dealer in Jackson, MS recently diagnosed a creaking noise in the front as a problem with the steering rack and tie rods. This was done after the dealer in Asheville, NC diagnosed it as a bushing problem. It was presented as a very dangerous situation and was repaired to the tune of $3000.00!!!! I believe that must have set a record for highway robbery. Is there any place that I can write or email my complaints? I have already complained via the the 800 customer service number. I am running not walking to get rid of this lemon.
  • 65mustang65mustang Member Posts: 2
    This is my first post here. I have been reading all of the posts and complaints here and I am surprised to a certain point. I am 19 years old. I own a '65 Mustang but my parents are the ones that own Mercedes-they have owned various models for the past 25 years. Currently, my dad drives an '84 300SD- EVERYDAY, EVERYWHERE. My mom has a brand new 2005 ML350 special edition, and finally, my brother has an '83 300SD.

Before the current '05 ML, we had a '99 ML320- bought it new. My mom drove the car to work everyday and did not have the extended warranty. Upon turning it in this past July it had 65,000 miles on it.

Here are some problems we had:

-Interior would always fog up- usually at night or in the morning- we just lived with that issue.
    -Radio always had fuzzy reception- just because they have micro antennas-that was nothing major
    -Gas gauge never showed full- new sending unit fixed that.
    -Windhsield washer reservoir leaked- dealer installed new one- we didnt even report the problem- they just did it while the car was in for maintenance.
    -Battery shorted out- car would not start-had to be towed- THIS IS NOT A ML PROBLEM- it was a defective MB battery.
    -Sunroof wind deflector popped out of place while closing.
    -Cupholders popped out a couple of times- those are easy to fix.
    -cd player skipped- dealer installed new player.
    -heater/ac blower motor made rattling noise- dealer fixed no problem
    -rear hatch door hydraulic lift cylinders- the driver side leaked so they went ahead and replaced both.

All in all, these are just minor things that happen with all new cars. The car never went in for a or b services- and the oil was always changed with regular oil- every 3000 miles. (no engine problems-ever)

Over a period of 65000 miles, nothing major ever happened with the car. The paint held up perfectly, no major interior problems, no shock/suspension/brake problems, no engine/ tranny problems, and no dealer problems.

Dealers have always been more than willing to help, and we have always been provided with a mercedes loaner car. When the warranty ended, we simply asked the dealer to go over the car to make sure it will be okay out of warranty- without any hesitation they re-charged the AC, balanced the tires, checked front end alignment, found a bad electric engine fan wiring harness- fixed that, found a bad ac drier- fixed that.

The only reason we traded in the '99 was because of the special edition package offered on the '05. My parents also wanted a new mercedes with a warranty because they knew what maintenance costs were out of warranty.

Before having the '99, my parents had a '92 300TE wagon- it was a lot more expensive than the ML, and it had its share of problems. At 70,000 miles the AC quit and the engine needed a few things.

Since I am the one that takes care of the cars, I pay a lot of attention to how they are built. I thought the '99 was nice, but in comparison to the '05, it was okay.

Here are some improvements I have found:

More power-3.7 L
    Better materials- better interiors, gauges, trim packages, etc.
    The interior does not have any more cheap hard plastic surfaces- everything is soft (wrapped in vinyl?)
    The new ML's have weatherstripping where the old ones never had it- each door has more at the top and bottom.
    The hood does not use a cheap prop-rod, instead it uses hydraulic shocks.
    Wood is better quality inside
    HVAC controls are much fancier.
    Tire and rim sizes are bigger.
    More features/ammenities.

I can go on and on...the differences between 5 years are amazing- it shows that mercedes has tried to improve something that was okay in the first place.

Also-since we have always had MB rental cars (mostly c-class) I would have to say that those are very nice as well.

The only complaint so far is the dealer they bought the '05 from- one of the chrome rims is peeling and it has taken 6 weeks for a new one-

Any other questions- feel free to E-mail me.

Sorry for the long message- I just wanted to share our experiences with our ML's....
  • 65mustang65mustang Member Posts: 2
    You heard right- there is no scheduled maintenance included with the '05's.

3 dealers said it was to keep the sticker price of the '05's lower-I guess the maintenance cost more than expected...
  • dl815dl815 Member Posts: 1
    In reply to the person whose brakes failed and car accelerated involuntarily, the exact same thing happened to us with our 2003 ML 350. Our car crashed into another car, which jumped the parking curb and smashed into a strip mall (luckily hitting the brick wall between two windows inside of which people were eating dinner). Dealer says it was not a problem with the car. NTHSA site has other reports of this happening and I'm interested to see if any others out there (in addition to NV 829) have had this problem.
  • wwpwwp Member Posts: 1
    Just have my so-far-looks-OK ML in for a check. Mentioned all the major problems here (Harmonic Balancer, Fuel Pump/filter, etc) and they say MBUSA won't replace unless it's really broken or on the recall list, even if under warranty. Worse, "... you can't report any information you found on the internet/forum and ask us to replace because anything can fail sooner or later..."
    Therefore, ML owners, keep your finger crossed whenever you are on the road. Sooner or later something will fall apart and if your warranty ran out... :(

Is there a standard of making a faulty part on the recall list? What about the people suffered before the recall letter is issued? MB issued the recall of ML steering hose clamp in mid 2003 or before, I was stranded because of this in Oct. 2003 and received the recall letter in Nov. 2003 !!! On the up side, I got one good-hearted dealer got me a rental car to at least drove my never-in-a-MB-and-cannot-believe-such-poor-quality parents home. I don't know how ML got rated as the safest car as in their commercial? Losing power steering on road is not safe at all. I don't want to get stranded again because of the pulley or the fuel filter and on, which is well-known already.

Can we report this to BBB or somewhere else? Even though I don't think they'll do a thing...
  • 2000ml3202000ml320 Member Posts: 1
    I called MB corporate armed with the TSI # and delt with the CS rep that answered. I asked him to escalate the issue and get back to me. I have until Sep 28 on my warranty and 38K miles on the truck. MB corporate OK'ed a warranty fix (new fuel filter and lines)after I made several follow-up calls. I had to convince the local MB dealer to do the work (they had refused twice in the past prior to my call to MB corp). It took a lot of small talk and my threat to buy a new BMW (I drove my 735i to the MB dealer)to make the point. It was all done free of charge and the truck runs better then ever. I have had the following replaced under warranty and never spent a dime on this truck other then to purchase a couple emergency keys.

Fixed under warranty to date:
    Harmonic balancer
    Aux fan wiring harness & 40amp fuse upgrade
    power steering clamp and hose
    pass rear door weather strip
    Windshield washer/wipper stalk broke off
    accelerator pedal cable
    Fuel filter/line upgrade
    ETS light fix
    sunroof fix
    Fuse box clips replaced