Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MB M Class Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• justaskmejustaskme Member Posts: 12
    I know that your car has to be in for the same problem at least three times. I am fighting Mercedes now to replace my new ML350. I am so disgusted and disappointed in how Mercedes Handles there customer service issues. They seem to want to mask the problem by preventing you from getting a hold of the right person. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER MERCEDES AGAIN. Mercedes should change their slogan to " HATE WHAT I DRIVE" This would befit their cars a lot better.
    My car is not in the off road mode nor is the down hill regulator on. I've checked everything. Mercedes just has to be honest about this huge inherent problem they are dealing with on the transmission in their new 2006 ML's. They are accutely aware of this problem and are trying to pass it off to the consumer as something that is normal. This is not acceptable to me. NO car should jerk you when you stop. I know for a fact that the differential locks up when you stop.....dont be fooled. They have a huge problem here and are trying to keep it under wraps. I want everyone to know this before they think about buying a new ML350 or ML500...
    I highly suggest you wait a year or more till Mercedes fixes their transmission issues with both the new 2006 ML350 and ML500. Don't be fooled by anyone. These transmissions are giving customers like myself major problems.
    In regards to your issue. Believe me, the dealer is not replacing your transmission. They are replacing the valve-throttle body that they seem to think is the fix for this car. I had the valve-throttle body replaced on my car and it still, jerks, and lunges when you come to a stop and also jerks into second gear when accelerating. I am very displeased with Mercedes. If I knew this was a problem I would never have purchased this vehicle.
    I would be happy to contact consumer reports and the better business bereau about this issue. This is an inherent problem with this 7speed transmission in all the new 2006 ML's and last years 2005 S model. Mercedes is highly aware of this problem, but they are trying to tell you it's normal. Well this is not acceptable to me. NO CAR SHOULD JERK OR SHUTTER WHEN YOU STOP PERIOD REGARDLESS IF ITS A $10,000 CAR OF A $50,000. I WILL BE HAPPY TO FILE A COMPAINT WITH YOU. I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO NOTIFY THE CAR MAGAZINES ABOUT THIS HUGE ISSUE. LET'S TALK
    I would be happy to contact consumer reports and the better business bureau about this issue. This is an inherent problem with this 7speed transmission in all the new 2006 ML's and last years 2005 S model. Mercedes is highly aware of this problem, but they are trying to tell you it's normal. Well this is not acceptable to me. NO CAR SHOULD JERK OR SHUTTER WHEN YOU STOP PERIOD REGARDLESS IF ITS A $10,000 CAR OF A $50,000. I WILL BE HAPPY TO FILE A COMPLAINT WITH YOU. I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO NOTIFY THE CAR MAGAZINES ABOUT THIS HUGE ISSUE. LET'S TALK
  • newmownernewmowner Member Posts: 86
    It has taken me a while, but I am back, with my transmission jerking again. My vehicle was first towed in because the tranny failed. Since then, I took it back twice for the abrupt jerkiness. I see others are having the same problems. I think we need to do something collectively, we will have better force in numbers. A class action lawsuit would be great, so we need to identify a firm that could handle that and do it on a contingency, since it could be expensive. Has anyone had any success dealing individually with MBUSA? By the way, the CHECK ENGINE light during that fail was allegedly caused by the gas cap, and unrelated to the transmission.
  • mbzfan06mbzfan06 Member Posts: 15
    Just to look at the other side. I am buzzing along after 2 months and 3000 miles with no klunking, no surging, and no ParkShift groaning. Getting more accustomed to the MBZ Nav, but it's still not Lexus like... more to come.
    I am happy for you MBZ fan, I hope I just got a bad one, because the vehicle is amazing otherwise. But I just can't go on driving getting a jerky drive and without confidence that when i hit the gas it will go.
  • mbzfan06mbzfan06 Member Posts: 15
    "hitting the gas"... that could be a problem if you are literally hitting the gas. I think these fly by wire systems like to be applied as opposed to hit. I think a hit would cause jerking and surging... I will try a "hit" on mine to see what the response is. I got into the applied habit with Lexus...which only likes applied power; not instantaneous power. Once you are rolling you can do the hit stuff, but not before; from my experience.
  • lorryfanlorryfan Member Posts: 76
    I have a 2002 ML 320 with 29K miles on it and I had the same jerkines problem anytime I came to a stop and start again.... I took it to the MB dealer and they fixed it, apparantly MB has posted a software online and when downloaded and installed, it will fix the problem...the software controls the tranny so it won't jerk when you start. Since the dealer installed the software, my truck shifts smoothly and it doesn't jerk anymore when I come to a stop light and start when the lights change.....I still have the wobbly issue that needs to be corrected, I will ask them to check the harmonic balancer to see if it's bad.

BTW, since the software install am averaging out about 18 mpg all city driving - prior to the install it was about 16.5mpg on avg.

I hope this reply helps....Good luck.
  • tomtom01tomtom01 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 ML 350 with the same problem. What was the fix?
  • puremlpureml Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem. Have you figured this out yet? I hear a swishing noise and then when I make a turn water comes pouring out onto the driver/passenger floor. It's really a pain. Today I had to get a wet vac to vacuum out the water even though I have rubber mats to protect my rug the water managed to leak under the mats. I'm not sure if the leak is also in the back because the back rug areas were wet as well. Let me know if you've seen the dealer yet. t/r.
    MBZ fan, I didn't mean literally hit the gas pedal, I think one would get jerked that way regardless of the automobile. I apply force to the gas pedal, and even more gently at times to prevent the jerk, but that makes no difference, the vehicle jerks anyhow. I saw that someone wrote they have proof of the tranny problems. Can you please direct me where I can get it? Thanks.
    All those 2006 ML owners who are having transmission issues and jerky rides, we should all go to the National Safety website and file complaints and our experiences. The site is http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/results.cfm. Here you can see other people have issues and surging as well. Let's do it people! :lemon:
  • tomtom01tomtom01 Member Posts: 2
    I haven't gone to dealer yet. Thanks for the tip on the rugs though. I also discovered that mine were soaked. . I will let you know what the dealer says. I was hoping that someone else had already figured it out so I wouldn't have to play 20 questions with the dealer. I suspect that it is a clogged drain hose for the air conditioning compressor/refrigeration unit evaporation tray. It collects the water that the unit pulls out of the air before sending it into the car. If I could figure out where the drain hose is I could probably fix it my self.
  • rschulzrschulz Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,

I dropped off my ML500 on 9/26/05 for the routine 1000-3000 mile inspection. The following day the dealer called me to say that the transmission had to be replaced (I had complained about the jerkiness - see previous post).
    Every week they kept calling me telling me that the "part" was not available - the service guy said it was a whole transmission, but I really don't know - in any case, last week, just after it had been in the shop for 30 days my sales rep called me and explained the options. I told her that I wanted my money back and I just got it today - full price - no deductions for usage or anything like that - I did not even have to say the word "lemon" . They claim that all new cars coming out of Alabama have a "re-worked" transmission ,but I am staying away from it for at least another 6 to 12 months - then I'll make a decision.
    That is great that you got your money back, and that you are out of the vehicle. MB needs to fix their bugs on their own time. :lemon:
    justaskme, wanted to see how things were progressing with your situation. Please update us.
  • gm1120gm1120 Member Posts: 22
    Sorry I haven't been back in the forum for awhile. I also haven't been driving the MB much - I've gone back to my old car for commuting purposes. I checked my records and found that my complaint wasn't written up in the service, that's probably because I mentioned it in passing and ignorant me asked if it was normal and they said it was. My husband says I should just bring it in for the noise and complain about the jerkiness. I'm afraid if they tinker with it, it may get worse. The jerkiness doesn't sound as bad as other people's
  • palmharborpalmharbor Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone else found that the navigation system in the 2006 ML performs poorly? Frequently my nav system sends me in the wrong direction or chooses a route that doesn't make sense. I have the latest (August 2005) DVD, which I think is less accurate than the 2004 DVD that came with the vehicle.
    But there should be no jerkiness at all on a $50K new car. I am looking at the Lexus RX now; I think, like you hinted because of your last car, Lexus's quality and track record are better.
  • moybenzmoybenz Member Posts: 6
    no engine failure as of yet, however by not being the orginal owner does this also apply to me
    Everyone, MBUSA just bought back my 2006 M-Class too because of the same transmission issues. I give them credit for standing behind their product, and owning up to the problem. Good luck to you all, it is a beautiful vehicle, and if you got a good one, I am actually envious!
  • sierrasonicsierrasonic Member Posts: 26
    Can you post the link to download the software?
  • mezecamezeca Member Posts: 66
    Lexus is having their fare share of problems too. Just go and look at the "hesitation" problem with the transmissions(including the RX330). You will see there are many dissatified customers with Toyota's inability to fix this ongoing issue. While you are there, look at at all the problems with the RX400H, including Edmunds test vehicle that lost the power steering control unit with 3K on it.
    Take a look at the GX forum also. Jerky drivetrains are causing major grief with many owners. It seems to be an inherent driveshaft design flaw,(can I say that in the same sentence as LEXUS?).
    yes, i did notice those issues with Lexus rx330 too. but having had bad experiences with the ML, i think lexus has a better quality record, and can't be any worse that my ML quality record!

the 400h needs some more time on the market, just as the ML IMO.
    I will have to contact the dealer and ask for the link. I will post it as soon as I get it. Am assuming it's an intranet site, but I will find out for you.
  • uddriveruddriver Member Posts: 6
    I've been reading these lists for a week now and I'm starting to think that my "find" may be not such a deal after all. 2001 ML 430 from private owner with 30,000 miles. A pampered 3rd vehicle for less than $20,000. Well taken care of and dealer serviced, but I haven't reviewed the records yet. Any tips or pointers to look for on this year and model? Thanks in advance.
  • mrml500mrml500 Member Posts: 1
    So what is the story? Does anyone know for sure? Every 2006 SUV has it except for the M Class? Will they be able to retrofit? :confuse:
    I have a '01 ml320, for the most part problem free. My only question is "is gas mileage as horrible for you as it is for me". I live in phila.,pa. I fill the tank about twice a week
    I have a 2002 ML 320 with 29K miles and just like you for the most part trouble-free. I do get 18.1 MPG consistently all city driving....I must say I drive conservatively though. I don't step on the gas when the lights change just to blow people off and I try not to do anything over 60 in city driving.

Hope this helps......Good Luck
    uddriver -

Have you taken the vehicle for a test drive? Do you like how it drives? The ML is a fully-boxed frame vehicle which is good, but then again you feel every bump on the road....it drives like a truck.

For an 01 model year truck, $20K is a great deal....if it has the NAVI already installed. Not to burst your bubble, but MB did recall the 01s for tranny and bad harmonic balancer issues I believe. If the current owner took the vehicle to the dealer in response to the recalls, then that's good so you don't have to fork a lot of dough to get it fixed since it's out of warranty - but the question remains: were the owners aware of the recalls?

For the most part, the tranny has been known to suffer from jerkiness problems, wobbly engine issues and bad harmonic balancer (01 recalls). Having said that, I love my ML, it's a great vehicle and I love the ride and like I said sometimes it can be rough!

Have the vehicle undergo a diagnostic check and for all you know...it may come back a OK.

Check with your MB dealer and enquire about the certified pre-owned warranty program....it's a 2-year warranty after the 4-year/50K miles warranty runs out. The vehicle must pass the MB 120-point inspection in order to get the CPO warranty.

Good Luck....
  • jules4jules4 Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up 2006 ML 350 ...I did not get a cargo cover...is this standard? or an option? Thanks
    I haven't driven the 430 yet, I expect it to be rougher than my Deville, but smoother than my old Dodge 3/4 ton Quad Cab. I appreciate your tips, I'll be checking the recall issues.

As for the Navi system, seems to me that there is mixed responses to the system. I have a Pioneer Navi unit that I had planned on transferring to the Mercedes if possible. In my work, I need detailed directions, so I'll be checking that out for sure.

Any idea of the cost of Mercedes used car warranty? Thanks again.
    The Mercedes CPO program is actually free. It's a two year full warranty just like the 4yr/50K miles warranty....Check with the local MB dealer where you plan to service the vehicle.

If you have to buy additional warranty check out square trade (squaretrade.com) - a subsidiary of Ebay. I think a 5yr or 7yr with 100K miles is about $2935 with a $100 deductible. They also have 0% financing for 12months if you need to spread the warranty payments.
    Also check www.warrantydirect.com

Good luck....
    Warranty direct is $2,200 for 13 months and $3,600 for 37 months
  • smythsmyth Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2006 ML500 that the trans stopped working in the middle of an intersection with 800 miles on it! The trans or something is make a tapping sound that started at aboyt 400 miles. They (MB) replaced the valve body twice and the transmission once. They had it there in service for 49 days since we bought it. It also has a tendancy to jack rabbit accelerate from a stop.. Not a safe car at all. How did you get them to replace or refund quickly?
    I would contact your selling dealership's client relations manager and tell them you have a new 2006 ML with major transmission issues, that the car is unsafe, that it has been out of service for 49 days, and you want out of the vehicle. Are you servicing at the selling dealership? If yes, that makes it easier.

Before calling, I would research your state lemon law. I am sure you are within its purview. Also speak to a lemom law attorney (who typically takes cases on a contingency basis) to determine the strength of your claim (which to me appears solid). Make sure they are ready to accept the case BUT do NOT retain them yet. I would use that in your self help by telling MB that you have spoken to counsel and that they are about to take your claim if you push the button, but you would like to resolve this amicably. Lemon lawyers usually file a civil claim, rather than use any arbitration proceedings, so MB will probably work with you since it does not want a public filing involving poor quality on one of their new swanky vehicles.

Work the client relations manager professionally. That person is your liaison and can really help you. But in the end, if you feel you are going nowhere, I would not think twice about retaining counsel. No out of pocket expenses for you means they only take strong cases, so you lose absolutely nothing.

Post your contact info if you want more help.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This article may be helpful:

Getting Some Lemon-Aid From Your Lemon Maker

Also, we discourage members posting personal contact information as this is a public forum and not immune to bots that troll through looking for email addresses, phone numbers, etc. As only forum members can access other member profiles, you can make your email address public and then reference members to check your profile for your address.
    Greetings

taking shot in the dark here. does anyone have the or know where to get the 2004/2005 disk #8 (mid-atlantic (PA), I beleive) for sale. I have been very unlucky on ebay

thanks
    Greetings,

New user and new owner of a 20001 ml 320 w/77,000 miles. Seems to have all the fixins.

I have two questions is everyone elses gas milage as horrible as mine also I'm not sure if I have a navigation system. Large in dash flip down screen (only a cassette behind flip) 6 cd changer in rear wheel well, has navigations buttons on radio.

When should i be chging the oil...no manual or service plan
    Please let me know b4 i purchase disk that i may not be able to use
    yes, that is what i meant. make your contact email public on the profile page. sorry! :P
  • gerrykgerryk Member Posts: 1
    encinoomnia:
    I have a 98 ml320 suv. I never can get the fule guage to register full. The most I get is always 3/4 full. Don't get more than 300 miles on tank full?
  • gm1120gm1120 Member Posts: 22
    That's a good question! When we picked up ours, the salesperson said it was an option, but he couldn't find it in the options list for me to purchase. I kept nagging and so he managed to get one from an ML500 (on the sly) and he gave it to me.
    i am pretty sure it comes standard. mine came with it.
  • macsmercmacsmerc Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone any knowledge of what (if any) play there should be on the lower ball joints? Although my dealer said they were worn, after replacing them they still show some signs of play - enough to knock over rough roads. The dealer says they are ok, but then he would!
    I've owned many vehicles and never come across 'designed in' play before so I think I'm being had over - any comments please?
    Rob
  • johnp5johnp5 Member Posts: 4
    This is my first time on this site. Hopefully, someone out there can help me. I have a 2004 ML500 with 18,000 miles and Mercedes-Benz Manhattan is stating that I must replace the brake pads and rotors for $1,300.00. It seems rather early in the life of the vehicle to be performing such an extensive repair. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • chumsaechumsae Member Posts: 61
    Replying to: moybenz (Nov 21, 2005 2:26 pm)

If you have a blank space behind the motorized display, you don't have NAV. Another give away is no antenna up on the roof - you probably have a flat rubber hole filler. All of the radio units have NAV buttons. I'm not convinced that Nav is such a wonderful option; a map works just fine.. possibly better, and costs a whole lot less.

Our 2000 ML320 gets 19 city/21-23 highway. Not bad for 4,500 lbs.

The car will "tell you" when to change the oil by displaying one or two wrench icons when you're within a couple thousand miles of needing same. Read the manual - if you want to bring up that info sooner I'm sure that you can press twice or something like that on the odometer display knobs and it'll bring up the miles to next oil change, and which service you'll need, A or B.

We go about 12,000 miles between changes. Always use only synthetic oil. I usually add about two quarts between oil changes due to consumption (normal for most European brand vehicles.) email me if you need me to look up the procedure to bring up the miles to service feature (see profile page).
  • mercado1mercado1 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a ML 500, 2004, with 15,500 miles. I was just told the same thing by the dealer and the brakes of course are not covered by the warranty. I do not tow anything. The car is obviously too heavy for the braking system. In fact I began to have brake problems within two months of purchase. I do not know what you are going to do, but I am getting rid of mine. This is just an indication of problems to come. After this experience I never plan to buy another Mercedes. Their corporate office is no help, they could care less about the braking problem. Any reasonable person can see that a car that has rotor damage after only 15,500 miles has a design flaw. Good luck with your ML 500, you are going to need it. Even if you replace the brakes and rotors, it is obvious you are going to have to do this every one to two years. You have do decide if you want to live with this continued expense. As for me, I am going to trade this problem SUV for a reliable SUV ASAP before anything else goes wrong.