Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MB M Class Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rocky1facrocky1fac Member Posts: 3
    Im repeating myself first time on site. :blush:
  • hgpmhgpm Member Posts: 3
    My ML 350 has 9500 miles and the Continental tries have no tread left.
    Has anybody had simular problems?
    Continental does not consider "premature wear" a manufacutures defect. My old ML320 i did get 45000 miles on the tire with tread left.image
  • sgt_k1sgt_k1 Member Posts: 14
    Hello, can sommeone tell me where is the Drainage tray for the mercedes benz ml500 located at. whenever it rain my suv get wet inside. Some one told me that ML500 2002 has a drainage tray. Can some one please help me on this.
  • sbarb1sbarb1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have owned a 2006 ML350 since last July. I have 9,000 plus miles on my car, have no tread left on my front tires (continental's). I took back to the dealer and they said it was because my tire pressure was low (2pounds), so it wasn't covered under the tire warranty. I have also had the transmission problems that everyone is talking about, took back to the dealer they told me Mercedes is aware of the problem, but since they couldn't mimick the problem in the shop the problem wasn't fixed. I am getting ready to trade my new car in for a new Discovery LR3. Am very unhappy with the service that Mercedes has provided!! Do not buy this car!!! By the way if any of you live in the SO CA area and are thinking about buying a Mercedes from Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach, beware of the terrible customer service!! I had three neighbors in my neighborhood that were seriously thinking about the ML350, & I talked them out of it!!! YEAH!!!!
  • eatanianeatanian Member Posts: 2
    Dude, why didn't you watch your tire pressure?
  • hgpmhgpm Member Posts: 3
    This hgpm again.
    My tire pressure was check and check. it was within the specified limit.
    I have since found out from Continental that left a voice mail on my answering machine as follows:
    Mercedes know that this tire wear out premature, they use it for comfort it is not the best trie for an suv"
    Now i am talking to my lawyer!!!!
  • hollabackhollaback Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just purchased a 2001 ML 430 last week (EPA MPG is 16 city/20 Hwy). When driving in the city, I seem to average 9 - 10 mpg while driving conservatively. Highway is much better (around 18 - 20). When I accelerate during city driving, the computer display consistently says 6-8 mpg.

Is 9 MPG normal for city driving or would you think that there is a problem that I can get corrected? What things should I look at?? Thanks

Darryl
  • lorryfanlorryfan Member Posts: 76
    hollaback -

9-10 mpg is seriously inadequate. I have a 2002 ML 320. I get about 18/19 mpg all in city driving (and about 22mpg on the freeway) using air condition/heater and or radio or CD most of the time.

There maybe a few things you can do....

1. Make sure your air/fuel filter is clean or not too old - try K&N filters, they may help.

2. Am not sure about this one, but you can try that tornado thingy - I've seen it advertized elsewhere and on the speed channel and they claim to improve your gas mileage by 1-2 mpg.

3. Check your tire pressure - if it's too low, the co-efficient of drag will almost always get you and kill your mpg numbers.

These are some of the things that come to mind that you can try, but reserch to make sure they are actually what you need in order to improve your gas mileage.

Hope this helps....good luck and let us know how you fare!
  • walt_lansingwalt_lansing Member Posts: 1
    My girl friend has a 2004 ML500. She has about 60,000 miles. She has put on 2 or 3 sets of brakes and is ready for her third set of tires, what gives here???? After reading several of the postings, I see not to go to the dealer and have these things done.
    Another question....dog eat the back seat belt, the dealer says it will cost $1000 to replace, where can I get it cheaper and how hard is it to fix....also, are there any manuals out there to tell me how to mantain the SUV???
    Thanks
    Walt
    Can someone please tell me why My ML500, 2002 is acting out! Whenever I start the car and tried to put it in Drive(d) it wouldnt allowed me, for some reason it lock in Park(P). And my ESP and ETA lights are coming on...
  • springfeverspringfever Member Posts: 1
    I have recently purchased 2 new MB models: ML500 & CLK350 Cabriolet. Both have the new 7 speed auto tranny. They behave quite differently in the two vehicles. Note that the auto writers consistently mention the ML tranny as having strange behavior at slow speeds when it changes gears - there is sometimes a clunking and a lurch felt by the driver. As my ML500 was made in May, I expected this problem would have been fixed by that time. Wrong! I have experienced exactly the same thing whereas the 7 speed on my wife's CLK350 is as smooth as glass and is as seamless on shifting as any car I've ever driven. Same tranny - different operation??? Well, I've got to realize the ML has a full time AWD function which incorporates a transfer case, which must be the reason and source for the clunk. I'm not an engineer, but I do know what I am feeling is not saying much for a $60K+ vehicle. Has anyone else had this experience?
  • jomljoml Member Posts: 4
    I have a 99 ml320... recently I have been hearing some kind of a knocking sound from the rear driver side whenever I start to drive. The sound only comes out when driving at a very slow speed and it goes away when I start to accelerate.
    Also when I'm in an idling stage like stopping on a red light, the shifter makes a knocking sound as well and when I try to just adjust the shifter, the sound stops or goes away. The dealer couldn't find where the sound is coming from and it's not even the shifter bushing they told me.
    Has anybody encountered these situation? I would really like to find out where those sound is coming from and how to fix it. Thank you all in advance...
    sgt_k1

It may be bad battery problems, try replacing the battery to see what happens.....
    See message 509 for a similarly reported problem.

Good luck....
    hi, thanks for responding on my inquiry... I looked at 509 and we don't have the same situation, mine doesn't have a problem shifting and recently the dealer here in BC checked on my battery and it's still good. my alternator was replaced though, good thing I bought the extended warranty. my shifter just makes this knocking sound when I am in an idle position and when I moved the shifter a bit the knocking sound stops. I will have the dealer checked on it again together with the knocking sound that comes out from the back of the vehicle on my next service and will let you guys know the results. Thanks again...
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like something loose in the exhaust system knocking against the floor at idle.
  • prettynpink08prettynpink08 Member Posts: 1
    My ML has been acting up lately (3-4 times now). I start the truck and it sounds rough then I drove the car, stopped at a light, car seemed like it was going to stall. I pulled over and restarted the truck and it's fine. This month it does the same thing again but now I notice the engine light comes on and blinks the car drives rough again. It won't accelerate pass 60MPH it also gives me a humming noise when I push on the gas. I'm worried, can someone please give me some advice of what the cause of this is? This car no longer has warranty and I'm tired of forking my $$$ almost every month to fix problems. If you had similar situation, please let me know what you did. :confuse: Thanks!
  • mlproblemmlproblem Member Posts: 1
    I have owned a 2000 ml430 since new. It has steadily consumed oil to the point that it now uses a quart every 700 miles. MB has refused to take any action on the problem first brought to their attention at about 33,000 miles. Their response has been that it is not considered a problem unless the oil usage is less than 1000 miles. I certainly do not agree. Now that consumption is every 700 miles they have changed to it is normal unless it is every 600 miles. I have all of the service records and so do they but to date the local dealership has not been able to get corporate's attention. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is it widespread with tis engine?
    You'd better call Mercedes customer relations and ask to have a field representative examine the car at the dealership and examine all your records as well. The car definitely has a problem. This is one repair bill you don't want to have to eat all by yourself. Only a field rep could make exceptions to warranty limitations.
  • palmharborpalmharbor Member Posts: 26
    Learn to live with the clunk. My ML-500 is 11 months old with 13,000 miles, and the dealer can't do anything for the clunk. It is particularly annoying when the transmission downshifts when stopping. I asked the MB service tech about it again yesterday when I had the 13,000 mile service and was told that there have been no upgrades or service notices on it. My business partner bought a R-500 a few months ago and said that his transmission was very smooth, until a month ago when it started shifting very hard. His dealer sent for some new parts from Germany. I test drove a 2007 Audi Q7 a few days ago. Its transmission shifts very hard when accelerating, and is quite noisy.
    prettynpink08 -

I had the same problem with my 2002 ML 320 with about 32K miles on it then. Mine attempted to stall 3X at the stoplight and each time I took it to the MB dealer to get it checked (luckily the factory warranty is stii good on mine until July 06).

The dealer told me they upgraded the software that controls the tranny/acceleration and since then (about 6months ago), I haven't had that problem re-occur.

I'll suggest you ask your dealer about the software upgrade and see what they say....unfortunately you may have to pay out of pocket.

To avoid the excessive dealer fees, you may want to get yourself an extended warrant from http://www.warrantydirect.com for about $1.5K-2K for 4years/85K miles. That will save you a lot of money down the road.

Good Luck....
  • loveleebrownloveleebrown Member Posts: 1
    I am in the same boat as you. I bought my 2000 used and noticed it at first in late fall, it is now a bit louder and annoying. 2 mechanics came up with nothing. I'm going to a dealer tomorrow and see what they say.
  • bluejay2gobluejay2go Member Posts: 1
    My cargo door on my ML320 doesn't open. Anyone have any ideas of what couses this? Is it easy to fix?

THANKS
  • newmownernewmowner Member Posts: 86
    I had the same problems regarding the jerky transmission, and my 2006 ML350 was in the shop for about 30 days in the first 120 days of ownership as MBUSA tried numerous times unsuccessfully to resolve the problem for which they were well aware.

I ended up getting MBUSA to refund my money.

Get out fast! :lemon:
    Can some one help me! I have a ml 500 and my ets/bas light keeps coming on and still on. I can not even shift from park to drive anymore. You know how when you step on the brake, the vihecle suppose to allowed you to switch from part to drive hoooo, but it not allowing me... can you please...where is the brake switch located at?
  • leighliuleighliu Member Posts: 1
    I typically do not post on these, but I am making an exception here. I have a 2006 ML350 and it has been nothing but a problem. I have had it in the shop 5 times for SRS passenger airbag malfunction and even began lemon law proceedings on it. Each time they said it was a different problem and the finally seemed to "repair" it by completely switching out the passenger seat (yet it has only been a month, so we shall see). This car is 9 months old and has approximately 8500miles. Since then it has had intermittent, unfounded malfunctions with tire pressures, oil levels, lights and so on. The vehicle has a nice warning screen in the driver display and it always displays between 1 and 4 malfunctions. So, I have developed a love-hate relationship with the warning system. If it were just one issue I would have been much more tolerant, but this is getting crazy! I DO NOT reccomend the 2006 ML350 to anyone, unless you like sitting in the service department waiting for a loaner. :cry:
    thanks for telling me about your problem with your ml... i am already thinking of trading in mine or selling it while it's still fresh... i only had around 27,000++ kms on it( i live in canada and it's kms over here..)... keep me posted on what the dealer told you... good luck...
    try checking the lock unlock hitch or lock on the cargo door... i remember this happened to me and when i checked it, i accidentaly locked or unlocked the cargo door, it works like the child door protection... hope this helps... keep me posted... good luck...
  • cflaggcflagg Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 2001 ML-320 and experiencing the same problem. Have you discovered a solution?

Thanks,
    Casey
  • mjphxmjphx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 ML500 with 42,000 miles. I guess I am lucky that I never had any problems with mine since day 1. I just do routine maintenance at the dealer. I serves me well.
  • jackel142jackel142 Member Posts: 47
    You have a faulty brake lamp swich. It also sends a signal to the trans control moudule, letting it know that your foot is on the brake, and allows it to release the shifter.
    Simple 15 minute fix.
    I was a MB service manager for 5 years. I quit over this oil consumption issue. A lawsuit was filed against MB several years ago titled O'Keefe vs. MB. The settlement allowed repairs of the oil consumption for a total of 10 Years, or 150,000 miles. The dealership must PROVE to MB that the vehicle is consuming more than 1 litre per 1000 KM or approx 1 qt per 600 miles. Here is the catch. If you have your vehicle tested once, and the dealer files a warranty claim for the test, if the engine is not using more than 1qt per 600 miles, you are done, no further claim can be made. If you are using more than 1qt/600 miles, a series of oil flushes can be made, or the engine could be disassembled, and the piston rings replaced.
    The dealer must follow very very strict guidelines to complete the tests, and in most cases MB will not pay the claim. Most dealers will fake the test results by starting the oil test, drain a couple quarts of oil out of the engine, drive the vehicle a couple hundred miles, then print out the results showing how many miles were driven, and the couple quarts of oil used. It's a huge scam, that I wanted nothing to do with. Contact your SPOM (Service & Parts operations manager), if you are lucky, he might help.
    That is not correct. Each dealership has the right to perform a DSA (after warranty repair). The amount of that repair can vary from dealer to dealer, depending how low there warranty numbers are.(The less they charge MB, The more than cover out of warranty. It's usually $700 Minimum, to a max of $10,000. They can use the money for ANY repair, at ANY time. They can even use DSA money to pay for your dinner.
    I bought a customer a pair of shoes that were ruined when his top leaked. No problem.
    You have a broken rear latch, inner rear panel must be removed to access it.
    Right under the brake pedal, you will see it if you crawl under the dash. It's a switch that pushes against the pedal arm
    thanks. I'll check on that.
  • palmharborpalmharbor Member Posts: 26
    I have had my 2006 ML500 for 51 weeks. Until last week my complaints about hard shifting fell on deaf ears. Last week I spoke with my dealer's new service manager and he told me that there is a new software update for the transmission. I brought it in, but they found that the electrohydraulic control unit installed on my ML has been superseded by a new type, and they got one from MB and installed it, together with updated software. The transmission is much, much better. If any of you still have jerky transmissions, it would be worth looking into. I would be happy to fax a copy of the service sheet showing what was done to correct the problem. Also, there is acompressor for air suspension campaign
    Okay I checked with a few dealers. Seems that it works like this.

A dealer can offer post-warranty repairs without contacting the manufacturer, but this is often limited to small amounts (a few hundred dollars is the general rule) to their best customers, and it's also tied to the dealer's customer satisfaction index.

So, should a dealer with a bad CSI attempt this, or should the amount be too high too often (even with a good CSI), his privilege to offer post-warranty repairs might be revoked.

An outstanding dealer with an outstanding customer in an exceptional circumstance might get away with a larger outlay however.
    Dealers have a minimum of $750 DSA per repair. The reason that the dealers do not want you to know this, is that they are REQUIRED by MB to "participate" in the repair. Usually the dealer will try get the customer to pick up 1/3 of the repair, dealer pays 1/3, and MB pays 1/3. MB policy does not require customers to participate.
  • torievanstorievans Member Posts: 7
    Hi Guys, I figured if anyone would have an answer to the problem with my crazy car you guys might.
    The problem started about 3 months ago. When I was idling or going below 15 mph the radio and all the electrical things on the car would just go completely dead for only a second. Then they would all just start back up. Sometimes this would happen 5 times in a row and sometimes just once. (The car would never die but it felt like it was about to) It would happen intermittently and never consistently. It would just happen randomly. This went on for a few months and I took it to the dealer. They could not find a problem. And of course it would not happen when they had it. Then about a month ago it would do the same thing but then everything on the dash would flash and a very loud beeping would happen until I would turn the car off. When trying to start it , it would not start. Nothing just dead…no winding no power nothing. After attempting a few times then it would start. Again the dealership could not find the problem. The battery was replaced and home I went. 3 days later it would not start at all. Tried to start it for over 3 hours. Dead Dead Dead. I could not even get the windows up. The tow guy came and he was unable to get the car into neutral the gears where frozen. After about an hour the car then started…then to the dealership it went, where it is now. For the past week and ½ the dealership has had it and they can not find the problem. They have replaced (I think we are up to about 8 parts now) and it still is not fixed. Sometimes it will start and sometimes it will not. Spoke to the dealer today and they drove it yesterday and before they got out of the parking lot it died. The dealer told me it is not the CSP because when those go bad the car at least will wind up. Mine just does nothing. They have went to the Mercedes Tec. Support and they have no records of a similar situation. Any advise would be wonderful. Thank you in advance.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    While you're waiting for a reply here you may want to pose your question in Electronic Gremlins: Electrical Problems That Are Driving You Crazy as well.

tidester, host
    Thank you so much!
  • ionelionel Member Posts: 5
    I had all this problems and with my 2002 ML 320. I try everything, the dealer fix one problem, and next week the car got a new one... my final solution was a new Lexus RX 330.
  • woodsonwoodson Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I posted my question on a new topic and could get any response. So here I'm I hope some of you could help! My question was:

I need your advice really bad--I'm in the market for a ML350. I got an offer from a MB dealer for a silver 2005 SE(was an loner car) for $32K with 13500 milages on it. It has sunroof package and NAV and it's certified. Also, I got another offer from another dealer for a black used 2006 with Nav, it has about 14k milages but it's not certified. May I ask which one is better deal? Is it worth to pay over 9K more on an 06? Any input I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
    Sorry I forgot to say the offer for 06 is 41K. Thanks!
    What did you end up doing with the car??? Did they ever fix it? Funny you say the Lexus rx330 because that is exactly what we are looking at also. We just need to get my car running and now we are on 2 weeks. Any suggestions????? Thanks for your response :0)
  • phxmaxphxmax Member Posts: 6
    I have an ML 320, 2002 with 60k miles. We have this same problem (ABS/BAS/ ETS/Brake lights on), also been to MBZ shop 2 x, and a 3rd time today, not sure what will come of it. I am so frustrated someone recommended me to join this group. Does anyone know why they are having so much trouble fixing this? Other than that the car ran very good.

So frustrating!!
    PHX Max
    Wanted to see if you got the car fixed. Mine was in the shop for more than 2 weeks. Finally after 14 different parts that did not fix the problem. They got it...
  • phxmaxphxmax Member Posts: 6
    I changed to a different MBZ dealer service. And after some trial and error with them too, they said the ABS/ATS/etc.. control unit plug, which is similar to the multi-pin port in the back of your computer, may have had some loose pins. They fixed the pins, cleaned it up, they plugged it again. 10 days so far no problems. They did change many parts as with your case too, including the control unit itself; they checked the hydraulics, ABS pulse pump. Good Luck.
    Good, I'm glad it is working well. Cross those fingers. Mine is running smothly as well and I do love it again :0) Have a great day
  • grahamdgrahamd Member Posts: 1
    My wife's ML350 electrical system recently melted down while parked and turned off at work. She came into the garage in time to see smoke from her hood filling the entire garage. The building maintenance crew extinguished the smouldering with fire extinguishers.

Her car is under still under warranty; however I am not sure what MB USA is going to do. My core question is what type of damage to the electrical system can this burn cause? We have requested a comparable replacement vehicle or an extended electrical warranty provided by MB. No response yet. We don't want to pull the car into our garage at night and have it burn out house down.
  • ab8ab8 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2006 ML500 last week (certified used car) and started seeing the problem of jerky transmission in about 2 days after purchase. I got it back today from MB service and they told me that they worked on 4 recalls and updated the software on transmission.

I drove the car about 50 miles after ther repairs and did not see the same problem again.

My concern is the long term reliability of the fix. Does any one else have the experience of this probelm and the success of the software update fix.

I appreciate your kind responses.

- Concerned MB owner