Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MB M Class Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• tuanltuanl Member Posts: 5
    I got the same problem with my ML320 year 2000. Took to dealer and they found a bad idle sensor and replaced it. It works OK since then...
    More than a year now.
    Try the idle sensor.
    My ML320 dies several times... took to dealer and they replaced
    the idle sensor. it works.
    Hi all,
    I have the ML 320 year 2000.
    I just found out that I could not lock the hatch back door
    with my remote control. I have to lock it manually by flipping
    the door switch in the back. However I can unlock all doors
    including the hatch back with the remote control.

Anybody experiences same problem ? Have any idea ?

Thanks
  • beerballbeerball Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 ML and have the same problem. As I understand it, there is a plastic pin that locks the hatch when using the remote. Frequently, the pin breaks and won't lock the hatch. The pin isn't used to unlock the hatch so the remote works for that. The hatch cargo handle needs to be replaced. This is another of the common M problems.
  • beerballbeerball Member Posts: 2
    D-pillar peeling is another M class common problem. My dealer wants $440 to replace both of them. The parts are less than $200 on the internet. However, I found the following "do it yourself" repair which I am going to try once the weather gets warmer. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1343030-diy-repair-d-pillars.html.

It is amazing how many common problems MB has had with the M class yet never offers to correct them or even discount the repair.
  • rodan1967rodan1967 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 ML320 that has this ticking coming from the engine compartment when I press the accelerator. Could be engine? The sound does not seem to be present when I at sitting in park and rev the engine. Only when driving. It seems like its on the passenger side of the car under the hood. Any suggestions at to what it could be. Since I only hear it when im driving I cannot seem to locate it.
  • my320my320 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know what is causing this popping sound under the car while driving?
    the sound is like a bubble wrap being popped
  • mustikmustik Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 ML500, air suspension. Since about 20,000 kilometres (12 months ago) the vehicle has developed road feedback (shudder) through the steering wheel on rough surfaces. Worse in "comfort" suspension mode. Makes it quite unpleasant to drive long distances, which is what I bought the truck for. Dealer makes the right noises, vehicle was with them for a fortnight, returned somewhat improved, but not fixed. I cannot believe this is as good as it gets for a Benz! Tried an air suspension Toyota Landcruiser on same roads with no problem. No problem also with my C class, but I appreciate it is not air suspension. Has anyone else experienced this problem or do I just swap it for a Toyota/Lexus?
  • greenyspgreenysp Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2000 M CLASS ALSO...THE REAR HATCH JUST STARTED DOING SAME AS YOURS...DEALER TOLD ME THAT IT WAS EXPENSIVE TO FIX...I AM A DO-IT-YOURSELFER BUT HAVE NOT ATTEMPTED TO TRY TO FIX YET.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE SUCCESS IN FIXING YOURS AND WHAT STEPS YOU TAKE TO ACCOMPLISH..

THANKS

GREENYSP
    Thanks beerball,

you answer makes me do further research on the "cargo handle assembly".....
    Indeed, the plastic pin is broken as you said
    I got the part from a local MB dealer ($166.00) and DIY last weekend.
    It does fix the problem.

Below is the link of the same issue:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1125062-hatch-door-actuator-plastic- -stuff-warning-dont-do-easy-change-thanks-raybenz.html

--
    Tuan
  • mbawhizguymbawhizguy Member Posts: 6
    Hi All,

I'm looking for suggestions on what to do. I bought a 2008 ML 350 September 5. 2 weeks later I start getting the "red" battery symbol on the screen and the dealer suggests I have not driven it enough. So things go on for a few more days and the battery light doesnt come on. On Halloween night my wife takes the kid to trick or treat and the car dies in the middle of the road. Dealer takes it in for 3 days does all tests and replaces battery on Nov 3rd. Today Dec 6th, same message and I anticipate the same turn of events happening. So drop the car of at the original dealer and waiting to hear from them. Any suggestions as to what is happening? I have lost faith and am scared of my family even venturing out long distances in the ML 350. I may be even looking to sell it off :mad: :(:cry: Thanks for any suggestions in advance!!
  • bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    (I posted this in the GL area but am doing so here as well. I assume the MB-tex interior is the same in all of vehicles)

My '08 GL with Macadamia MB-tex interior is experiencing severe discoloration on the seating surfaces. A friend who had the same interior on an '07 experienced the same problem, although I incorrectly assumed it was unique to his. Now another friend with an '08 model is having the same problem I am. In all cases, complaints to our dealers were met first with denial that there's any problem, then advice to use a dry cleaner strength solvent (which apparently is now difficult to obtain).

My dealer told me the problem is blue jeans. The rubbery nature of the seating surface apparently picks up the dye in the jeans, darkening the material. It's only taken 3 weeks for mine to look awful. This isn't from new, unwashed jeans either. Just my and my wife's regular duds that have been through the wash plenty of times.

I'm interested in hearing if any other owners are experiencing this problem. I think it should be considered a defect and a remedy should be provided at Mercedes' expense.
  • mb2006mb2006 Member Posts: 1
    I am the "proud" owner of a 2006 ml350. I have Michelin Latitude tires, which have been whining since about 12,000 miles. I have complained about this numerous times, each time getting a different answer. I now have 26,000 miles on this car, and I am being told that the tire has no useful life left. Michelin is not going to stand behind the tire. I have never had to replace tires this early on any other make of car. Can anyone tell me if this is normal wear for this tire on this make of vehicle?
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    What do you mean Michelin is not going to stand behind them? What is the warranty on the tire? I assume it is more than 26,000 miles. What are they saying? Sounds like a good small claims court case to me.
  • cfraziercfrazier Member Posts: 16
    convert:
    In looking at the interior, I moved away from Mac (though I liked the color) and opted to do a different color scheme- silver w/ ash mb tex for this very reason. In the mac mb tex interiors I saw/test drove, I noticed the same thing- color rubbing off onto the seat. I did not see this in the ash (yet anyway), though I have a hunch that it may do the same thing. I would agree- this is an apolstry issue. I will inquire this weekend as well and see what they tell me.

C
  • palmharborpalmharbor Member Posts: 26
    I got about 21,000 miles on the Continentals that came with my 2006 ML500.
  • lawing1lawing1 Member Posts: 3
    Am considering buying a 2008 ML350.

Have the 2006 ML350 7-speed transmission problems (jerkiness (surging and lunging) of the vehicle when driving slow or stopping been resolved by MB?
    TIA
    I think the problems are fixed. My early 2006 ML500 which was terrible to begin with in fine now. My friend just took delivery this morning of a 2008 ML550 and said it is very smooth.

I would buy another!
  • lnguyen9999lnguyen9999 Member Posts: 6
    Were you able to find the oil drain bolt? I can't find it either. I have a 2006 ML350.
  • 0435004350 Member Posts: 26
    I bought mine used May 2005, with low miles on it. Several things have been
    repaired on it under the original warranty which expired in Jan. 08. I took the
    vehicle in a few weeks back for a brake job which I knew was upcoming
    since it now had just over 39,000 miles. So far, these were the new problems
    also "found" on it by the local MB dealer: Ball joints; pinion seals, transmission
    cooler line. That's about $ 1,500 worth of work.

When I got the vehicle back, the invoice had typed on it: "Customer states fluid leaking under vehicle" and "Customer states noise while going over bumps." Funny thing is I never made either statement to service writer. When I asked the service manager about this "enhanced" language on the invoice he defended the service writer. The service manager also tried to claim that the problems were related to our bad winter and the effects of potholes on our local roads. I usually
    get a customer service phone call about the service experience that I have had with this MB dealer but not this time.

Is this normal disintegration of a 4 and one-half years old vehicle with under
    40,000 miles on it? Is this normal behavior for a MB dealership?
  • pfentonpfenton Member Posts: 16
    My wife owns a 1998 ML 320 now more than ten years old and has never had to replace any ball joints, pinion seals, transmission cooler lines,etc. Just routine
    brake service, belt and oil changes and tuneups. A less than five year old MB SUV should not have these major problems. It doen't sound too kosher to me. Perhaps a different MB service provider is warranted.
  • dk6760dk6760 Member Posts: 1
    HI...I am going through the same thing now and I bought my ML320 used from a dealer and only got one fully functioning key. They are telling me 8 keys, the max, have already been ordered and now I have to replace everything to get a key to work and start my car. They are quoting me 2500-4500 depending on if they have to replace the main computer also??? All for a chip in my key that wore out? Why in the heck can't they just replace the chip? I am flabbergasted and this just seems like price gauging. Does anyone know of a work around? I do not even care about having an electronic key, I just want to be able to start my car. I never ordered extra key and this was even a Starmarked vehicle. If anyone responds, please also copy to my email: Debrakrmx@comcast.net, please.
  • phxmaxphxmax Member Posts: 6
    This is for anyone who may have a fuel guage issue. I own C230K and ML 320, both 2002 models. This happened to me in both of them. The problem goes like this. You fill up gas, topped off, and then you notice that shortly after filling up, the guage is showing about a 1/4 less than what should be. I asked my favorite shop (not an MB dealer, since we are out of warranty already) for this fix, he said it could cost up to $600 to get this fixed. I did not fix it right away since I was still getting accurate data on fuel consumption from the computer display, range, mpg, etc... Well, the problem took care of itself; and the guage operated normally after that. It took about 5 fill ups in the ML to get to normal, and about 12-15 fill ups on the C230K. If anyone has the same issue please post and share with all. Thanks.
  • 0435004350 Member Posts: 26
    There was a recall for various Mercedes models in July 2008 pertaining to an
    incorrect SCN (software calibration number) which dealt with incorrect
    fuel gauge readings as well as several other issues. Neither of your model years were listed on that July 2008 recall from the summary that I saw. It may be worthwhile to ask your mechanic whether your models could be suffering from
    this also, although not covered for free under the July 2008 recall.
  • asa2asa2 Member Posts: 23
    That happens in pale colored interiors. It's exactly why I ordered Black MB Tex instead of Macademia. Before we purchased ML, we had a Range Rover with the tan leather seats and they got really stained from our jeans, etc. Never again. I did use something on them from the Dollar Store if you can believe it. It was called "Awesome". They were real leather and they withstood it. Just dilute it and have extra water to wipe off excess when done scrubbing (I used a tooth brush) It didn't get it all but it got alot. I would recommend testing it on an inconspicuous area to be sure.
  • lynnejacob2001lynnejacob2001 Member Posts: 9
    I have 98 ML320 with 219,000 miles. The truck has been great. Other than regular maintenance and normal wear and tear we haven't had any problems with the vehicle. I'd like to make sure it stays that way. Are there any replacements/service we should have done?

We have some minor knocking which my mechanic tells me is not uncommon or unexpected on a vehicle of this age. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to get to AT LEAST 400K miles.

Thanks
  • rososorososo Member Posts: 1
  • phxmaxphxmax Member Posts: 6
    Hello Rosco, I wonder if you saw my posting #661 of 664 Re: Fuel Guage Not Operating Normally - PhxMax [phxmax] by 04350 Jan 04, 2009 (2:11 pm)...

The ML problem fixed itself after a few months; this is a little weird, but saved the few hundered $ my mechanics said it may cost. My ML has not had the issue again. My C Class has the same problem re-appearing just a few days ago, I am monitoring and no plan to fix; I will keep you posted. Phxmax.
  • slavekjslavekj Member Posts: 1
    I have ML320 that needs valve cover gasket replaced. Does anybody knows if I can do it myself. Dealership ask me to pay $500. Please help.
    After 47 1/2 months and 46,998 miles, I said farewell to my 06 ML500 and traded it for an 09 BMW X5 diesel.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Any problems with your mercedes? Was maintenence expensive? Hope you enjoy the beemer.
  • dabankdabank Member Posts: 1
    I tried starting my ML 320 Friday and everything was fine until my right hand hit the turn signal and high beam and the entire power died.

There are no lights, no automatic door locks. Nothing.

I took a "power tester" thing to see if power was coming from the battery and it was.

I opened the fuse panel inside the engine and found the power cable coming from the battery and there was power coming into there but I don't know what else to check.

Any ideas?

I just replaced my battery about a month ago.
  • rahulgrahulg Member Posts: 28
    Hi Drew / Friends
    I recently bought a 2009 ML350 with P1. I am facing two problems. One is with COMAND navigation. It doesnt announce street names though manual says that it will. Right now, it just says turn left or right or straight without street names. Am I missing something as I cant believe that MB Navigation system is so preliminary?

Second problem is with seat lumbar support. I dont have memory seats but my lumbar support gets activated and when I sit on the driver seat. Even if I reduce the lumbar support as it hurts my back, it will remain in the changed position till I drive. But if I switch off the car, and when I come back it gets back to its original position as soon as i sit in the driver seat. I can hear the motor sound to verify that lumbar support is working. This is very annoying to me as I have to adjust lumbar support back every time when I start the car. Is there any way to switch this feature off?
  • tobie1tobie1 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday while driving, my ML320 began to act like it was not getting gas at around 40 mph. The rpms went way up and the car slowed down. It does it most everytime the car is around 40 mph and sometimes also at 20 mph. I thought that it was a fuel problem but have seen no change since adding injector cleaner to the gas tank. Any ideas? Not sure if it is fuel-related or transmission but would like to have some idea before entering the dealership which rountinely sees us women coming. :sick:
  • gold3n_8oygold3n_8oy Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I have the same problem. I changed the crankshaft sensor and it all went well for 3days but it happened again. The engine just died when im doing constant speed around 60km/h...I pulled over and start the engine, it start but rpm doesnt go up even though i step deeply on the gas..The car shake heavily, loss of power and it move very slowly and helplessly like it's going to die..but managed to travel 1-2KM to my house, lukily it was very near to my house. when i reached home, i step on the gas real hard a few times and it become normal again...I have changed original fuel filter, fuel pump, air filter, spark plugs (original MB) 2mths ago..Cant figure what's wrong. Have the car diagnosed few times, eveything is just fine, nothing's error. These hapened since 1mth ago since my battery died, i jump start it and get the battery changed. since then these all start to come out..Dont know it is is related..almost everytime the engine died and shake heavily happened at night time when all the lights and air con is on.. Dont know if this gotta to do with electrical or something else..

SOMEBODY HELP ME.......... Can email me for solution o experiences

goldeen_booy@yahoo.com.sg

THANKS
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Can email me for solution o experiences...

Let's keep the discussion here so everyone can benefit. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • gold3n_8oygold3n_8oy Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I have just returned from my regular mechanic garrage. They diagnosed the car again and still find no fault. But found out that one of my battery head very loose. They tightened it, and make a 30mins test drive and found the car loose power, but not dead, they switch on air con and lights n drive around..car shake a bit and acceleration is very poor. drive it back to the garrage, they are giving me the last option. They recommend me to change the spark plug cables which total up 12 of them. According to their experienceds, poor sparks cable cant be detected in the diagnose..I thought i'd rather gamble for it n paid for the cables. everything seems fine for a 1hr drive to my house with heavy traffic..An I have just drive around to dinner with my family 1hr ago with all lights n aircon on. everything is fine. but due to my traumatoic experience. i dont want to be happy too soon. i will drive for a few days and update again..I am thinking of selling it away if this problem still happen again..but it is an inch away from perfection, cause ML320 is a strong and comfortable car..but who doesnt get frustrated with same problem on and on...Im thinking of going back to grand cherokee 4.7 V8, my previous car.much more torque n soft suspension and LESS trouble...

Anyone have a solution please kindly inform me by posting in this forum or email me gold3n_8oy@live.com thanks
  • coolpartnercoolpartner Member Posts: 10
    All Proud owners of ML 320 Bluetech. If you can please share your vehicle maintenance experience.
    How often AdBlue needs to be refulled ? Cost of doing so ? and how often a regular maintenance is required such as oil changes etc and cost to do so. I am trying to understand how much will be a total maintenance cost for this vehicle for 5 - 7 yrs

Thanks
    -Vj
  • bzielenbachbzielenbach Member Posts: 3
    take it back to dealer it will cost you nothing
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    With all due respect, if you are the least bit concerned about maintenance costs, pass on this vehicle. ;)
  • global3global3 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a ML 350 2009 for my wife and started driving it this week. Had the window down and them i heard this clicking noice every time i pu the car into a gear. Every time i shift the car makes this clicking sound. took it the MB service department and they are telling me that it is normal.

Can some one tell me what is going on?
  • gunpilot91gunpilot91 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know where to attain a maintenance manual for the 2008 ML-320 CDI Diesel? No, they do not sell this on the DVD, and the 2007 DVD does not discuss the diesel engine M-class at all. I am looking for a basic reference for some common maintenance tasks. Thanks in advance!
  • don247don247 Member Posts: 1
    Try ebay, Craigslist, if no luck - try a search in an English speaking country in Europe.
  • 1grace1grace Member Posts: 1
    I have an 05 ML 350 and the driver side parking and tail light are both not working. I have replaced both bulbs with no sucsess. Has anyone had this problem before and did you find it to be a fuse?
  • aljeannitonaljeanniton Member Posts: 2
    I just had the fuel pump on my 2000 ml320 changed for the 3rd time in two years, But this is the first time I hear a whistling noise coming from the Gas tank area, its obvious its the new pump, the mechanic tells me thats normal? I have never heard the pump make a noise before? Any sugestions :confuse:
  • aljeannitonaljeanniton Member Posts: 2
    is this site still active?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Yes, but traffic can get a little light in places during the holidays.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • reitdudereitdude Member Posts: 7
    Did you ever find out if your ML350 is capable of announcing street names? I have a 2010 ML350 and it doesn't announce street names.
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    A friend of mine asked me to post about his 2002 ML320. A bulb is out on the console near the mirror. The dealer says he has to replace the whole $1400 unit. Is this true?
  • i617gemi617gem Member Posts: 1
    The cig, lis any one had theirs blew. I checked all the fuses , but I do not see any place on the fuse box for cig lighter. Could it be a relay. Also my outlets stopped working. HAS ANY ONE ELSE EXPERIENCED this problems. I enjoy this car never had any problems and I have 172 + miles. I keep it serviced. I did research and found out the only thing that goes wrong is the windows which I'm experiencing now. I know I have to change either or a combo of 2 things the motor or the switch. Has any one else had this problem Thanks

Gem