Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Rather than sending quote details, please post them here so that all of our members can benefit - that's why we host these Forums!

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicle & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• chiefcounselchiefcounsel Member Posts: 3
    Here are the invoice prices including Honda destination charges for 2006 Odysseys--2006 and you will notice the prices went up $185 for EX over 2005 and $300 for EXL for example.

LX 23360.88
    EX 26101.71
    EXL 28258.43
    EXL RES 29696.25
    EXL RES NAVI 31673.24
    TOURING RES 33470.51
    TOURING RES NAVI 35447.51

For the deal I posted earlier--you just add $99 ($99 above invoice) and $53 doc fees and then taxes and title charges which are set by your state.

Good Luck--but I found that Illinois will be a great flight for $54 since the dealers in my area lack intelligence.
  • chiefcounselchiefcounsel Member Posts: 3
    The illinois dealer offering the $99 over invoice is only doing this as an internet deal for odyclub.com members (free registration). They have stated on the odyclub forums that they will not take phone calls for the deal.

They do not take trade-ins that they cannot see--besides dealers don't give you a great price on your trade unless they bloat the price of a new vehicle to correspond with the "higher" value.

The illinois dealer is the Honda Superstore of Lisle and the Honda Superstore of Joliet. The www.odyclub.com website has the rest of the details on who to email for the deal.

I figure that I will be spending 26101 for 2006 Honda EX in Slate Green with Gray interior + 99 money over invoice+ 53 doc fee + 54 flight on Independence air + 100 in expensive fuel to drive home plus taxes and title set by state. Not a bad deal.

I placed my order yesterday and the rep got back to me and requested names on the registration and address and a fax number and told me he would place my order. The one additional question I asked him was whether accessories like floormats can be purchased at the dealer's invoice as part of the deal--I am waiting to hear back. If I cannot purchase them at invoice then I will buy off of ebay.
  • tunractunrac Member Posts: 19
    What area of the country did you get a dealer to offer it to you for that price?
  • looking4exllooking4exl Member Posts: 11
    What was the expected delivery date?
    Thanks!
  • pminnhpminnh Member Posts: 3
    What dealer did you use around Newton? Thanks in advance ~
  • tohellwithugatohellwithuga Member Posts: 4
    I just registered successfully.

Man, this would be $500 less than the best deal I could make locally on an '05, and we can get the color we want. But 770 miles and a 12-14 hour drive, yikes. After gas and flight, saving maybe $250, but it's an '06.

Decisions, decisions...
  • looking4exllooking4exl Member Posts: 11
    What color is the ivory leather in the Desert Rock Odyssey EXL? Is it whitish? Or is it tan/brown? I'm concerned about dirt. I haven't been able to see one. The honda website shows a dark tannish color, but not sure how accurate those 1/4 inch blocks are! Thanks.
  • kitty4kitty4 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Everybody,
    We just bought a 2005 EX- L RES AND NAV Slate Green Metallic with Dark Grey interior for $500 below invoice. So it came to $30864 including the destination fees + 100 Doc Fees + Title and Taxes. We also got a financing from Honda for 4.74%. We got the dealer to throw in the all weather mats for free. Note no Color adjustment fees of any kind was charged. The dealer is in Central Ohio. We had a pleasant buying experience

Thanks!!!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Since we invest a lot of time & money to host our automotive Forums, we don't allow members to post messages that promote other automotive forums or encourage members to visit these other forums. Thus, several posts have been removed.

For further clarification, please review our membership agreement:
    http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/memberagreement.html

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mdunantmdunant Member Posts: 2
    just bought my 06 ex-L for 500.00 over invoice. I saw the super secret costs from Honda.
  • ody_manody_man Member Posts: 12
    Folks,

Over the last few weeks I have been contemplating on buying a 2006 EX (Cloth!), and thought I'd give another point of view on why I would not buy an EX-L, even though it is affordable, and leather does have a better look.

I am a bit uneasy about the VCM that turns off the 3 of the 6 cylinders. I know a lot of people are enthusiastic about it, and would cross over to EX-L to get it. The issue at stake is lack of history on mechanical reliability of such a system. In time, the cylinders would suffer differential wear and tear, and perhaps uneven stresses on the cam shaft. The assumption is that a team of engineers have looked over the design and perfected it, but what if they havn't? What they dont know, they cant know. Besides, auto makers are always under pressure to raise the average mpg of the fleet mandated by federal govt. Profitable SUV's hurt the average.

As for the saving in fuel, do some math: Honda says you can improve 10-12% in mpg. Lets say a car runs 15000 mi/yr at 20mpg. That will require 750 gallons. 10% of that is 75 ga. At $3 a gallon (fairly high) that would be $225/yr. Note that I have taken the hi spot. Chances are average user would save about $150 a year. An ugly engine repair post-warranty, when it is most likely to pop up, could wipe out the savings.

I wish Honda offered an option not to turn VCM on. The choice not to may have an ulterior motive - it would then hurt their fleet mpg.

Just a thought.
  • hesty21hesty21 Member Posts: 6
    Did it happen to be Brighton Honda?
  • dartanyandartanyan Member Posts: 10
    If that happens, we will sue Honda and get a free brand new engin replaced with some cash......
    I know that is possible, but
    If that happens this is possible too!
  • canon88canon88 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Thank you so much for sharing the information.

I am looking for a 2006 Odyssey with Touring package and Navigator in the Sunshine State. May I ask where did you buy yours and perhaps I can use the invoice listed pricing information to negotiate one for myself base on the invoice price.

Thank you in advance.

Canon88
  • odyssey06odyssey06 Member Posts: 5
    I just placed an order for a 2006 Odyssey Touring with Nav & Dvd in Slate Green color with black leather, for $1000 over invoice. I used the fax attack method suggested by fightingchance.com. I had more than 8 dealers offering to get me one for $1000 to $1500 above invoice. It was a great experience with different dealers offering to beat the other one. I am now waiting for the vehicle to arrive at the dealership.
  • maheshmmaheshm Member Posts: 2
    Valid thought, but if you look at it from a historical perspective, Honda hasn't done all that bad in maintaining it's reputation with quality. That in itself is good enough reason for me to buy into their new engine & hence bought EX-L (05) last week. I must add though, that it was not the only reason for us to buy EX-L.

Got about 24.5 mpg the first week of driving, but then it's not a good enough sample size to definitively say VCM is significantly better. I like it so far.
  • tohellwithugatohellwithuga Member Posts: 4
    Got about 24.5 mpg the first week of driving, but then it's not a good enough sample size to definitively say VCM is significantly better. I like it so far.

That's very encouraging after reading about how many have been getting 16-20 mpg during the early miles.
  • guammerguammer Member Posts: 2
    A quick note of thanks to all posters and Edmunds for making me a much more confident consumer.

My wife and I picked up a white '05 EX L w RES this morning. Price paid is as follows:

Invoice $28,872
    Dealer margin 1,010 (about $300 under TMV)
    Destination 515
    TTL 250

With tax, it was $32,515 drive out.

We were quoted this offer from a dealer that did not have the car in stock. He assured us that he could get it, but, after a few days, still had the same story that he almost had it, but could not confirm. We called around to other dealers and most, even knowing our current offer, quoted $2,000-$3,000 more. Goodson Honda West responded with an offer about $500 more than our current offer, but, within a couple minutes called back to say they would match our first.

Goodson Honda West was a delight to work with, and I would recommend them to anyone. They did not play games with us, even to the point that they missed an item in their first quote that would have pushed the deal up by $300. Instead of trying to get it in the deal, they simply ate the cost, only informing us afterward of their mistake.

Thanks again to all of you who shared your thoughts. This has been the easiest car buying experience I have gone through.
  • madhudmadhud Member Posts: 7
    HI,

I live in Florida. Please send me your Quote. So that, i can ask my local dealer to give me that price. I appreciate your response.
  • sammydassammydas Member Posts: 4
    Actualy bernardi in Natick
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Great deal! Ohio seems to continue to offer the best Odyssey prices in the country. Did you buy at Hugh White?
    $31,500(including destination) EX-L RES & NAV :)
    the Slate Green Metallic :blush:
    if i give my Fax # can you send me your quote what you ahve got? Is it possible?
    Lot of people buy vehicale at good price. It is really helping us to know. I am looking for one Fax Copy Quote with good price. So that, i can ask my local dealer for your close price. They were saying way high.
  • cstoffercstoffer Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased an '05 EX-L for $29k including all but tax, title and some other $49 charge.

I would appreciate anybody's thoughts on whether $29k for an '05 EX-L is a good deal. This was my first new car buy and I am not sure reading all this whether I bargained well or not.

I am jealous at the thought that for less than 2k more I could have had RES, NAV and mats. Thanks.
    I will you my Fax #, Can you send me your Quote which, you have got from your dealer please? you can strike out all your information if you want. I am not able to bargain like you. Can you help me please?
    It is a good deal i think you have to buy don't wiat for that.
  • carnut9carnut9 Member Posts: 3
    I was quoted $30,196 + tax and tags for a 2006 Ody EX-L w/ DVD in the Pittsburgh area - is this a good deal?
    Thanks.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    I think you are worrying about nothing.

Still, if you are THAT concerned you probably shouldn't buy one.
  • maheshmmaheshm Member Posts: 2
    Yes.
    Highway miles on 89 octane gas could be part of reason for good milage.. Would like to watch it over a period of time though..
  • huslahusla Member Posts: 1
    Just took delivery of an 06 LRES today from Meyer Honda in O'Fallon,IL. I started out looking for an 05. I found other St. Louis area Honda dealers very difficult to deal with via internet and quite arrogant about the limited remaining stock of 05's. So-called Internet sales reps (with the exception of the rep from Mungenstat Honda sp.) refused to give quotes unless I came into the dealer. Had a horrible experience with Frank Leta. The dealer insisted I come in to the showroom promising me that they had the vehicle and model I was looking for, but when I arrived they claimed the vehicle had been sold and then offered me MSRP on a different model, balked when we counter-offered with a price closer to invoice and terminated our negotiations. Contacted the fleet manager at Meyer who offered $1500 over invoice on an 06, comparable to the TMV on an 05. We quickly settled the deal over the phone in a matter of minutes, and I was promised a 2-3 week delivery date. As promised, the vehicle arrived, I received a phone call that it was in, and scheduled our first ever trip to the dealership. Finance manager called me and offered to beat my credit union's interest rate, which he did. Upon arrival at the dealership, we signed the paperwork in a matter of 15 minutes, no pressure sales regarding accessories or extended warranties. Very straight forward, and I got my LRES for $31,100, about $1000 less than Edmund's current TMV. Thanks Meyer Honda; anyone shopping in St. Louis area should check them out!
  • mountshenmountshen Member Posts: 1
    Just leased an '05 Odyssey at Courtesy Honda in Florida @price of 31,500. Put $4000 dn including !st mth pymt totalling $1,500 which includes mthly pymt of $485 + tag+tx. Does that pymt seem too high? I also have crossbars, mudguard & alloy wheels.
  • tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    I thought this would be good place to ask. Deals look pretty good on new Odyssey. I am selling my 05 Slate Green with 9 k miles. 10 months old, mint condition (ie no hail, paint, dings or damage of any kind), added front side tint, leather steering wheel and shift knob, bose rear speakers and touring front tweeters. 3.5 k oil changes castrol syntec 5w20.
    You all know MSRP around $35,000 with the adds.
    What is fair private party sale price for OK?
    I was thinking $29,500 but not listing for sale until all the 05's are gone--do not want to compete with heavily discounted 05's. At least 06 have had a price increase. :confuse:
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    WOW!!! $4,000 down on a lease? That is allot of money that will only lower your monthly payment. That payment sounds VERY HIGH for such a large amount of $ down. Did you have negative equity form another car rolled in?
  • tawneycattawneycat Member Posts: 114
    Was that a 05 or -06?
    I got ripped last November, good deal either way. $3,100 off!!
  • aku_05aku_05 Member Posts: 15
    Mich_Chow,

I am looking for EXL RES for 3 months now and can't find a deal that I keep hearing about on these forums in Indiana. Have you bought yours? If so , do you mind sharing the info and ur experience.

Appreicate your reply

Sincerely
    Aaku
  • ayoo73ayoo73 Member Posts: 1
    i purchased my 05 EX-L for 28,300 (+ Tax and minor charges) in Long Island, NY.
    it really depends on the inventory and luck. when i was picking up my car, i met a nice couple and told them the price that i got. they went to the salesman and offered 28,300 and got rejected and agreed to pay 28,450. I hope this helps.
  • look2buylook2buy Member Posts: 2
    Purchase Date: Aug 7

EX 2005 (cloth)
    Silver Ext: Grey interior.
    No acc., no add-ons. No Trade In

Huggins Honda in North Richland Hills, TX (DFW)

Price: $26,200
    Doc Fee: $50
    Dealer inv. tax: $61
    +TTL

Total OTD: $28,000

We started looking for a 04 used Honda, but after shopping around, found that the used honda prices were also pretty high. Given the extra features in 05, decided to buy a new one instead. Used the method of blasting 10-15 dealers within 3 hrs driving distance in DFW area. Some dealers gave clear quote immediately. Some dealers wanted to talk and have us come in to dealership. After pressing them more, got them to give a internet quote.

None had the color we wanted in stock, but several said that they had few come in within 1-2 weeks. Inventories were very low in DFW area, so most of the dealers weren't willing to negotiate. Had quotes from $500 - $2000 over invoice. Weeded out the outrageous quotes immediately and started negotiating over the phone with 3 dealers.

Finally decided to go with Huggins (best price). Placed a deposit of $500 for one coming in within 2 weeks. But the dealer called within 5 days saying they got the shipment earlier than expected. Picked up from the dealer on Aug 7th.

This dealership is great. No pressure, no extra acc. offered. No extra charges. Paperwork done in 15 minutes. Very clean and pleasant experience. I would highly recommend them if you are in DFW area.

The other dealers we found to be good were:

1) Huggins Honda, North Richland Hills
    2) Quintana honda, Paris TX
    3) Lawrence Marshall Honda , Denison TX

Absolutely avoid :
    - Honda Cars of MKinney,
    - Vandergriff Honda, Arlington
    - Lute Riley , Richardson
    - Rusty Wallis, Dallas

Hope this information helps others.
  • akhanakhan Member Posts: 23
    I would like to add to the Absolutely Avoid list:

First Texas Honda in Austin (Even though its irrelevant for DFW)

I bought my accord from Lute Riley and I will also never do business with them, very dishonest people.
  • wheneverwhenever Member Posts: 1
    Just got a quote:
    2005 EXL is $28450.0 + tax + title fees

Is this a good price now?

Thanks a lot
  • mudbug2mudbug2 Member Posts: 2
    Received a casual quote of $28,500 walking on a lot in SE La. Depends on the market mostly and it seems people pay for this van here. Hope this helps.
  • mudbug2mudbug2 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any recent purchasing experience they can share regarding pricing on 2005 EX models in southeast Louisiana. Have received several quotes of $26,900 + TTL and a lower quote. Does not seem great compared to nearby states. Maybe worth traveling. Any comments, particularly from La. buyers, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • rayrussrayruss Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up my 2005 Odyssey EXL Slate Green last Friday paid $28,050 + tax + title @ Bay Ridge Honda.
  • amytnamytn Member Posts: 1
    Hi, thanks for any input. I purchased a red 2005 Odyssey EX-tan cloth in late May and want to sell now. Paid $27,300. It is in perfect condition with 6,000 miles. Odysseys are in great demand around here (Franklin, TN) so I am hoping that will help me in selling. What do you think I could get from a private party or from somewhere like carmax? I was hoping for $26,000. Thanks for your input!
  • hesty21hesty21 Member Posts: 6
    Bought a EX model two days ago for 26,600 + TTL -- 28,400 OTD.

I wouldn't worry about a couple of hundred $$$. If you wait too much longer you'll be out of luck on the '05's.
  • aku_05aku_05 Member Posts: 15
    Did you buy your Ody? I am going to lease EXL with RES today and got the price

$31,598
    $486/month for 36 Months with Risidual $18,917

Not sure if this is a good deal?

Help appreciated.
    Sincerely
    Aaku
  • sciencemanscienceman Member Posts: 80
    just curious what was the kind (light transmission value, color, brand) of tint you had installed on the front two windows to match the sides...looks like everyone in the modifications discussion got dealer installed tint. I'm aware that different states have different tint regulations.
  • mich_chowmich_chow Member Posts: 58
    Akau,
    I bought my EX-L RES & NAV on 8/11/05. Posted my info around the same time. I paid $31,363 including destination ($100 bellow invoice), plus mud flaps and all season weather mats. When I first started looking, I was quoted $100 over invoice for an EX-L RES from Ed Martin Honda. I bought mine from Indy Honda from Penske and had a special from them because I finalized my deal in late July. Good luck, and reply if you are still looking to buy one.