Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Santa Fe Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cjb2486cjb2486 Member Posts: 26
    Just bought a 2004 Santa Fe, 2wd, 2.7liter, ABS, 6 disc changer, moonroof, roof rails. Paid $21,800 after $500 rebate. So far, great car and good experience at dealer which was McCafferty Hyundai in Langhorne, Pa.
  • 03lxv603lxv6 Member Posts: 130
    Anybody has experience buying a Santa Fe around Silicon Valley in CA? Which dealer do you recommend and how do you like your truck?

Thanks.
  • illini10illini10 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everyone. I have test driven the Santa Fe, and like many of you, just love it. I am heading out this weekend to purchase a 2004 FWD LX w/moon-roof. This has the 3.5L engine. I have done the research and know what the invoice is on the vehicle ($22478) and that there is currently $1000 cash back. How much have people been paying in title and fee costs and how low do you think I can get them? Can you let me know what deals you have been getting compared to invoice and if anyone has purchased a 2004, how easy it is to deal? This is my first car purchase and I want to do it right. Thanks
  • rubyred1028rubyred1028 Member Posts: 2
    Where is the best place to find out how much I should sell my Sante Fe for? It's my wife's car and only has 23k miles on it? Has anyone seen, sold or bought any with price recommendations. THanks
  • jlittererjlitterer Member Posts: 39
    Looking an 2004 Santa Fe GLS 3.5 V/6 4WD. Can anyone give me information on the price you paid?(How much above invoice or below retail, etc.) I live in the western U.S. (Nevada-Reno/Carson City area) Thanks!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might start here: How to sell your car.

tidester, host
  • wannabywannaby Member Posts: 1
    It seems locating an '04 GLS 2wd 2.7L with ABS and traction control along with PIO Wood grain trim option is as rare as finding a hen with teeth.If anyone knows of a dealership that has this particular model with features specified or will get some in near future please let me know. I reside in VA. Traveling to purchase SUV is no problem. Car is for wife. I have done my homework and know what the price range for this SUV would run. Thanks.
  • niksdadniksdad Member Posts: 4
    The wife and I just picked up our '04 GLS AWD. Used edmunds and another cars^$#^$$ web site for info. The referral was sent to one dealer but I didn't like the vibes I was getting, so I just called Hyundai of Everett, wa and asked for the Internet guru, two days later we drove off with a Pewter AWD for 23,500 including all fees,taxes and plates. Whole experience was painless and pretty easy.
  • kevriakevria Member Posts: 14
    So far I have been to 2 dealers and will probably end up at a third. Here's how it goes:

Dealer 1) The dealership is a pit, legs are at odd angles on the desks. Im at the dealership around 2.5 hours and ask if there is something to drink about 1.5 hours in, was told to goto the local gas station. They try utterly lowballing my tradein which jacked my payment up about $40/month. NOT.

Dealer 2) Dealership is in much better condition than Dealer 1, and they even ask if I would like something to drink. I was there about 2.5 hours again and left a $1000 deposit on a Midnight Blue 2004 GLS 3.5 4WD with moonroof. They had lowballed the numbers and actually didn't do too badly on the trade. I get a call today that they hadn't bothered to put a hold on the GLS which was at another dealership so it had been sold and there aren't any other GLS's with moonroof in the area.

Dealer 3) Only talked on the phone but they insist they have 3.5L 4WD GLS's with moonroof. Maybe tomorrow I will go visit them.

Buying a Hyundai is being a royal PITA.
  • suzanneh1suzanneh1 Member Posts: 1
    With a lease-return within two weeks, we had to buy in a hurry: not the best scenario. Used Edmunds for information and referrals. Since we live in a rural area of PA, the dealerships are all an hour or more distant and the links to dealers were a help. We own a Sonata GLS and are spoiled with all the features and the deal we got on it. Had chosen to purchase a Santa Fe or Forester due to snow and ice here and my fear of slipping and sliding. (I've lived in So. Cal most of my life,with stints in Saudi Arabia and Alabama:not good training for PA!). Had results from only one dealer and they found the LS 3.5 Arctic blue and no added goodies in a few hours. The dealership emailed us, called us and it was done in less than an hour. Waiting on financing OK and we are done. It was so painless, we got the car for 575 over invoice which beat all three dealers we had searched out ourselves and were not impressed with. One dealership still has not contacted us and I had visited them twice to test-drive, talk model and price-guess they weren't that anxious to sell. Recommend Motor World in Wilkes-Barre Pa. Hope to love our Santa Fe for many, many years. I did read all the messages re: problems and am aware of 'the bump' and pressure after fueling problems. We have had no problems with our Sonata except a battery that was replaced at no cost, and two recalls that were also fixed without any hassle.
  • kevriakevria Member Posts: 14
    Dealer 2) Was told to pick up my deposit check of $1000 on Tuesday, when I arrived I was told that they couldn't give me a check because my check hadn't cleared. This dealership is an hour from my house, talk about wasted time.

Dealer 3) Dealership is about 1.25 hours away. Luckily I was able to get somebody to check the lot and they verified that there were NO GLS's specd the way I wanted.

I bought a Mazda Tribute. So much for Hyundai's
  • bharrellbharrell Member Posts: 21
    I currently drive a 2002 Mazda MPV LX with lots of nice features. I am tired of the minivan, but love sitting up high and won't ever go back to a car. My dream car is a Yukon Denali, but my husband and I refuse to pay more for a car than we did for our first house, if you know what I mean. We are a little wary of the Hyundai name but have liked the Santa Fe better than anything else we have driven so far. We have checked out all the compact SUVS plus the Pilot and the Kia, and like the Pilot but really want to stay around 25,000 out the door. My questions are:

2WD vs. 4WD? We live in East Tennessee and don't have all that much snow. How much benefit is there for rainy weather in having 4WD? We have never owned anything that had 4WD. We would plan on keeping the Santa Fe for a while-probably our daughter will start driving it in about 2 1/2 years when she starts college.

What about the leather seats? They sound wonderful at this time of year when the heat option, but how is leather in the summer? I have some uncomfortable childhood memories of bare legs sticking to vinyl seats in the car we had then. As you can guess, neither of us have ever owned a car with leather seats.

Any advice on these 2 things and also on a fair price to pay for this vehicle would be greatly appreciated, especially if you live anywhere around this area. We live in Knoxville.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    We have an '01 Santa Fe LX FWD with the heated leather seats - interestingly enough we're considering an MPV for when we outgrow the Santa Fe, but that's a ways off yet. My two cents on your questions:

FWD vs. AWD - In your situation I'd suggest that FWD would be perfectly fine for you. Even in the snow the FWD with traction control has never gotten us stuck. The 2.7L engine in the Santa Fe is marginally underpowered for the size of the vehicle. This is a bigger problem on the AWD model, since it's heavier and has more driveline friction than the FWD model. I test drove both an AWD and FWD model and the AWD was noticably slower. The FWD gets somewhat better gas mileage. If you do get AWD go with the 3.5L engine and learn to live with somewhat poor mileage.

The leather is actually quite nice. I didn't want it but as this is my wife's car I let her make that call. The leather is perforated and breathes pretty well in the summer, so it doesn't stick to your legs. Boy are the bun warmers ever nice to have in the winter. Only problem is that my wife has decreed that every car we ever buy from now on is going to have to have them, so consider yourself warned!

Can't tell you much about pricing as we bought ours 3 years and 43k miles ago. You get a lot of car for the money, though.

Good luck!
    -Jason
  • cjb2486cjb2486 Member Posts: 26
    I have a '04 GLS with FWD. I agree with Jaserb. The FWD should work just fine. My Santa Fe is about 3 months old now and it seems to have been snowing here in New Jersey since the day we bought the car in November. This FWD Santa Fe replaced a Jeep Grand Cherokee and has been on the road everyday that it has snowed and so far there have been no problems with its ability to get around. It's also equiped with traction control, so that probably helps. Anyhow, we wanted better gas mileage, more power, and better handling, so we went for the FWD. So far, no regrets.

The problem with going up to the 3.5 and also AWD is that now you have an SUV that's not much cheaper and gets the same gas mileage as some other bigger competition.

As far as the leather goes, the Jeep had leather and my wife said "Never again". Hot in the summer, freezing cold in the winter. Seat warmers helped, but she had had enough. The Santa Fe has cloth which she loves.

Anyhow, here are the specifics on the price I paid: 2.7liter, ABS, 6 disc changer, moonroof, roof rails. Paid $21,800 after $500 rebate in Langhorne, Pa.

Best of luck.
  • bharrellbharrell Member Posts: 21
    Thanks to both of you for the advice so far. We are leaning toward the larger engine with FWD. Our kids have to approve of anything we buy, so we still have to take another test drive and start negotiating if they like the Santa Fe.

Jaserb, I find it interesting also that you would be thinking about the MPV. We have loved both of our MPV's but with one child getting ready to drive (in May) and another one not that far off, we are ready to leave the minivan scene behind. The times we are together in a vehicle are becoming fewer and further between every day. Make sure you check out the message boards about the MPV-there are transmission problems in some of the models. We have had only one problem in 40,000 miles. It is great when your kids are younger, but keep in mind that as they start to get older, it is a small van. Leg room in the 2nd row is an issue for my son and he is just 5'4".I would definitely get traction control and rear air and the larger wheels if they still offer 2 sizes. The ride is much better.
  • jaserbjaserb Member Posts: 820
    with a 2-yr old girl and another kid on the way. We figure the Santa Fe will be plenty big for two kids, but maybe a little tight for three. We're hoping to be able to keep the Santa Fe long enough to use up the powertrain warranty but we're not sure when/if we'll be getting number three. Of course, this could be twins which would change the whole situation!
    We like the MPV because it's very space efficient for its size and my wife hates driving big vehicles - she made me promise to never make her drive a Suburban. She still loves the Santa Fe to pieces and it's held up really well so far.

-Jason
  • bigkahunaflbigkahunafl Member Posts: 128
    I am looking to buy a 2.7 GLS FWD with the following:
    accessory group 4 (ABS)
    tow hitch
    front and rear mudguards
    cargo trays

The local dealer is quoting me a price $20,100 before taxes and title.

Sounds like a good deal. Any comments?
  • khrnkhrn Member Posts: 3
    I live in LI NY and I am looking at the GLS 3.5 with sunroof.I am considering the FWD instead of AWD and would like to get your opinion on this matter. I recently read in Consumers that the FWD doesnt handle well in the rain. Has anyone encountered this? Also I was quoted a price of 23,000 everything included how does this sound? Thanks for any help you can give me.
  • raygur1957raygur1957 Member Posts: 27
    My husband is also in the market for a Santa Fe and we were quoted 23K for an LX AWD model, minus the sunroof from Atlantic Hyundai in West Islip. Which dealership did you go to? We were quoted the same price at Hustedt Hyundai in Centereach.

Also my husband works with someone who owns an FWD and she does not have any problem handling the car in the rain.

Hope this helps.
  • khrnkhrn Member Posts: 3
    Thanks raygur1957 for the info. I too went to Atlantic Hyundai and that was the price quoted me for the GLS model. You seem to have gotten a better deal, which is great. Have you checked out the info on the message board, regarding Santa Fe problems? What are your thoughts? Its such a big decision buying a car, and with all this information available, it can make you a little nuts. Thanks for your help.
    It all can make you crazy we know. My husband previously had a Hyundai Accent (80K) and currently has an Elantra (19K) both problem free cars. All the makes have their problems. It's all the luck of the draw I guess. We were so happy with the Hyundai products we bought a Kia Sedona for me, which turned out to be a real lemon. You just never know....even the most "reliable" makes produce their share of lemons.
    The difference in our quotes probably is because since we are current Hyundai owners, we are eligible for the $1000 loyalty rebate which apparently ends Mar 1.

Good Luck to you.
    $1,500 rebates on the Santy
  • glassbudglassbud Member Posts: 12
    Okay, so I really did my homework and read all the Consumer Reports reviews and Edmunds reviews. I even read all (well, most all) of the comments on the forum pages. I ended up purchasing a GLS 3.5 SF with 2 wheel drive (front wheel drive) for $21,500 less a $1,750 rebate. Of course tax and plates were additional. The car I received came in with running boards (I think an additional 450$), but the dealer threw that in at no extra charge. I paid $19,750 plus tax/title. I did NOT pay the 590$ destination charge. It seemed like a good deal... am I fooling myself???
    Sounds like a good deal to me. I paid more for my 2.7 in February.
    Go over and introduce yourself on the "Meet the Members" forum.
    Thanks, I will...
  • collins14collins14 Member Posts: 39
    We picked up a 2004 GLS FWD 2.7L today. The car has ABS with traction control, moonroof, cross rails and pinstripe. We paid $19,800. Thanks for everyones help and information.
  • tangleroctangleroc Member Posts: 2
    Glassbud, I'm in Nassau County and I'm in the market for almost the exact same car you just bought. I'm shopping for a GLS 3.5 with front wheel drive. I'm also considering sunroof and 6-CD changer.

If you wouldn't mind posting (or emailing me) the dealership and salesperson you used it might help me a great deal. I'd be happy to tell him/her you sent me.

Also, when you say $21,500 less the rebate I'm a bit confused. That's $21,500 before the rebate was applied, right?

Any help you could give GREATLY appreciated.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You'll have to settle for only the name of the dealership - read the intro at the top of this page.

tidester, host
  • tangleroctangleroc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Tidester, I'm new on the board.

Would appreciate the dealership name, and any other good advice anybody can give me on making my purchase on L.I.
  • matthewmatthew Member Posts: 11
    Just purchased on 5/7 a 2004 Santa Fe GLS 4wd with the 2.7v6 engine, ABS and running boards (although I did not want them). I paid cash, and the cost after $1,500 rebate but before taxes, etc was $20,500. I think this was a good deal. For these first two days the car seems well built, no noises, rattles, etc.
  • jldenverjldenver Member Posts: 1
    We're about to buy a GLS. We're pricing the 3.5, AWD and we've specifically asked about vehicles with no additional options. (No moonroofs, 6-CD changers, etc.)

We've given up trying to parse out all the individual components of a deal, and we're asking dealers only for the total price to drive it off the lot...after taxes, after rebate, etc. This seems to work well, and gives the whole process some easy-to-understand clarity.

Our best price so far? $22,886. That includes the 7.2% sales tax in our city and the rebate. How does that sound for a basic GLS 3.5 AWD? Anyone else want to share their total off-the-lot price for a similar model?
    Tangleroc... sorry for the delay in responding to your message. My computer crashed on May 3rd and I just got it back today... Anyway, the price for my GLS front wheel drive 3.5 liter engine no sunroof but with running boards was 21,500 less the rebate (approx 20,000 bucks). We live in Alexandria Virginia (just outside of Wash DC), and were very pleased with the local dealership. I'm not sure if you got your new Santa Fe yet, but it may be worth the 4 hour drive down if the price is considerably lower. I thought it was a good deal at the time, and so far I really like the car... Hope this helps!!
  • hokiestylehokiestyle Member Posts: 2
    So far I've seen many reviews saying the FWD works just fine in the various weather conditions, and the better gas mileage is worth it (especially for commuting). What kind of gas mileage do you guys get for the 2.7L GLS FWD model? Specs rate it as 20/26, but we all know how close those never get!

Also for this model I've seen the price range postings of $19,000-21,500 for potentially similar specs. I now live in L.A. out West, and am wondering where the best dealership would be, any suggestions? I'm probably looking at either package 10 or 6 with the moonroof and ABS. If I could find $20,500 or less after taxes and title, would that be a good deal ?

Also, is the moonroof worth it, or do you find that it doesn't really make a difference?

Have any of you owners found that the 2.7L lacks significantly in power when climbing hills and such, especially at highway speeds? What about the towing capabilities and power for something like towing a Uhaul trailer where both vehicle and trailer are loaded down?

Soo many questions...
    Hokie, We bought our GLS 2.7 FWD in February and now have only about 4,000 miles on it. We got it with ABS (traction control) and factory hitch (a few other minor things). Back then the rebate was only $1,000. That made our price before taxes, title, etc. to be just over $20,000. We choose not to get the sunroof due to the reduction in head space.

My wife drives it most of the time, but when I do get a chance I've gotten between 21 and 22 mpg of mixed driving and I do not consider the vehicle broken in (in fact this was before the first oil change).

I live in Florida so I can't speak to mountain (or even hill) driving. I find the 2.7 to have all the power I need.
  • azguy77azguy77 Member Posts: 6
    Just purchased my FIRST Hyundai. LX, FWD extra options was: moon roof, rear cargo tray and roof rack crossrails. Including rebate, my price was $22085. I contacted the "Internet Department". They gave me the no haggle price. I feel this was the best deal I could have gotten without haggeling. Plus, it was much less stressful!! Good luck all!
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    A reporter is interested in hearing from anyone who really exhaustively debated between this car and a competitor, weighed all the pros and cons,
    etc. Please respond to sbreckenridge@hearst.com or jfallon@edmunds.com with a few details and your contact information no later than Wednesday, July 21, 2004.

Thanks for your consideration.

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
  • tiaraladytiaralady Member Posts: 5
    just bought my 2.7GLS in Merlot w/ Beige interior
    Love it! Paid $20,413 out the door and had a easy time at dealer , salesman was nice and new I did not want to be there for hours. I feel like I got a ggod deal invoice was $21,843. I am happy with my purchase it has been a long time coming and my 1st new car.
  • melaroemelaroe Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a GLS 4WD w/ package 5 or 10 (moonroof and 6cd changer) and have been told $23-$24k. Seems like end of year the prices should drop, with '05s coming out...right? Supposedly the local dealerhsip is the largest in the eastern area...say they can offer the lowest prices. How do I make sure I get the lowest price? I haven't seen anyone post a sale price of $24?!?!
  • merlotmerlot Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Santa Fe 4WD 2.7L GLS with ABS a couple of days ago and find out there is no 4WD System Warning light when I start the car. I see everything including ABS, TCS etc, but not the 4WD thing. There is an icon on the panel which does not light up but that is not the icon of 4WD
    system warning light.

Does anyone owning the same model ever see the 4WD system warning icon (as in the manual) on the panel and see it shown when starting the car?

I would really appreciate your help,

-a worried new santa fe owner.
  • paulnnaupaulnnau Member Posts: 14
    I recently e-mailed my contacts at a local dealership this message and was just wondering if you felt it was proffesional and if my request is feasible? Please keep in mind this dealership prides itself on being one of the larges in the southwest.

"Wednesday in the newspaper I saw an ad for a Santa Fe GLS at your location. It listed the MSRP ($21859)less an DEALER Discount ($3562) and a Rebate ($1750) plus 2 other discounts that I did not qualify for (military and Hyundai loyalty). With the discount and rebate, it brought the price of the vehicle to $16,547). It was apparently only offered on stock # 44180, which to my suprise was still in stock. So thursday I decided to come in and check it out.
    When I arrived and walked down the row of Santa Fe's, I was followed by a salesman who seemed younger than I am (24) who was chatting on his cell phone, a conversation that sounded as if it was a personal call. He then hung up and asked me if he could help me. I did not get an introduction, just went right into a sales pitch for the Santa Fe. We discussed the price which was right for my budget, until we got to
    my trade-in. A 2003 NEON SXT which I owe just under $13k. He asked his "boss" if they would be able to help me and he immediately said no.
    Now, my common sense would tell me that since the
    vehicle was already discounted, the discount brought it right around the invoice price, there wouldn't be much room for negotiation on it, however there was no negotiation on my trade in, they wouldn't even consider it, just said I'm about $6k upside down and that would make my payments $400/mo. I understand that NEON's are a dime a dozen, but they are still a
    popular, dependable car. I know my NEON SXT only has the standard equiptment for it's model except for dark tinted windows, and that it blue books for just around $8k for trade in, but because I was a returning customer (the NEON SXT came from that very dealership), and according to your website, there are only 2 SXT's- only 1 2003 model selling for $14995. Since I have researched vehicles alot lately, I know
    the internet rate for SXT's are between $12500 and
    $15000. I also know that dealerships typically only expect to profit $1500-2000 on a trade-in based on my research, and that the internet price is the rock bottom lowest price offered- so the sticker on that NEON SXT is probably in the $15k's allowing room to negotiate down.
    I would think that from a customer retention stand
    point, and the fact that dealers are beginning to
    clear out the 2004's, that Earnhardts would be able to satisfy a returning customer by showing they are willing to break even or even a slight loss on one
    deal, which I'm sure can be compensated with all of the inventory your dealership moves daily.
    You would make my day if someone from management could atleast e-mail me with an appology for what I feel was poor customer service. You would make my year if we could make a deal happen....

$21,859 (MSRP)
    - $ 3,562 ("dealer Discount")
    - $ 1,750 (Rebate)
    - $ 400 (recent grad discount)
    - $ 500 (my down pymnt)
    -------------------------------------
    = $15,647 plus tax, title, tags, doc fee
    Give me $10,000 on my NEON that (dealer) can
    probably sell on the internet for $13,000
    and then I am only around $3000 upside down. I think this would be feasible from a dealership as large as yours to make a returning customer happy.
    Please let me know what you can do for me.
    Thank you,"
  • davidkeith37davidkeith37 Member Posts: 30
    My 1978 Dodge Slant 6 B 100 Van has either 300,000 or 400,000 miles on it. Anyway while the obstinate beast refuses to die, it allways starts and runs even in 115* heat, it has come time to replace it. With no tradin and cash in hand, more on that later, I thought the model year end would be a good time to buy. A small 2wd SUV seemed to fit my needs best. I rated initial cost and gas economy as the two most important factors in the purchase decision. Gas is not likely to be much less than $2.00 a gallon from here on in my opinion. Narrowed the choice down to a Hyundai Santa Fe and a Mitsubishi Outlander. Had an internet offer of $17,529.07 out the door from Phoenix for a 2004 Santa Fe, 2.4L, MT and fwd. Thought the Mitsubishi worth a little more because of its higher horse power and torque so went to the Misubishi dealer in Tucson AZ and offered $800.00 more than the cost of the Santa Fe. Poor salesman was running back and forth into that little room where all the decisions are made but in the end would not come at all close to what I was willing to pay so left. I had two experiences with the Hyundai dealer in Tucson. First while wearing my old mans coveralls, sometimes called a jump suit, went into his Northside location. Maybe the beard had something to do with it too, but you have not been dismissed until you have be dised by a car salesman. They were not interested in me, ignored my questions and after a few minutes I left. Later I went to his East side location with his newspaper ad advertising a Santa Fe for about $15,500 base as I remember the ad. Was informed I did not meet the conditions in the fine print and besides after checking the SN I was informed that that one and only Santa Fe was somewhere else at a storage lot. So went to Phoenix and purchased a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe, MT, 2.4L, and fwd. Base $15,644.07, Tax $1243.70, Title $4.00, Doc $299.00 and Lic $338.23. Total = $17,529.00. I did add a 100,000 mile warranty for $1,295.00 which I might not do again if I had it to do all over again. Anyway I think I got a deal and do recommend the Internet Fleet Sales at Pitre Hyundai in Scottsdale, Phoenix area, Arizona. By the way, I thought all I had to do to get money from a retirement account was to ask for it to get it transferred. No way, any large transaction has delays built into at every step of the way. In the end I had to become creative with the credit card, lean on friends and relatives and cry at the Credit Union. Anyway during the drama found out what the cost would have been if I had had to use the dealers credit. APR of 16.95%, finance charge of $9,214.60 and total cost of $ 29,788.60. I love the Santa Fe, first tank made 27.4 mpg. I do recommend the dealership and sales people at the above mentioned address, good people, good car, and good price.
  • dawnsatxdawnsatx Member Posts: 2
    We got a 3.5L V6 FWD for $21,022.94. This is after they applied a $1750 rebate and a $500 military discount. This included TT&L. Car tax in Texas is about 6.25% so I figure we got it for under $19500 before TT&L. The sticker price was about $23K+. It has the moonroof, woodgrain trim, ABS. Does not have the 6-disc CD changer.

This is in San Antonio, Texas.
  • tooldoggtooldogg Member Posts: 2
    Try www.townehyundai.com . They have santa fe's for $1200 under invoice. I brought their ad into my local dealership and he went 500 under with lifetime oil changes. not bad for an lx.
  • tinman3tinman3 Member Posts: 1
    Hyundai stopped production of the 4 cyl Santa Fe base model about mid year. Don't know about the rest of the country, but here, in Arizona, most dealers have no inventory or have 1 in stock and not too interested in making a good deal. After checking around I found "BIG" Bell Road Automall in Phoenix, that had 14 in stock and was very willing to make a below invoice deal and then further reduce the price by whatever rebate applied. You do have to haggle a bit on dealer installed/added stuff, but they were pleasant and professional. Being able to drive away in a new Santa Fe for under $16,000 + tax&fees seems like a good deal to me. They probably are just as willing to get you a good price on the 6 cyl models if that's what interests you; they had about a 100 of those on the lot. Hope this helps someone, it's a great car.
  • skagwaypilotskagwaypilot Member Posts: 18
    Remember the 'NBC Dateline' program on purchasing a car some months ago? They focused on the activities of the dealers in extracting the last penny from a purchaser - especially if the person was inexperienced or trusting. I'll not go into all the details, but the sales contract that was presented for our signature did not reflect our conversations with the finance manager. On the day we purchased our Hyundai, our buying experience was lengthy and both my wife and I were tired so I must admit that we did not review the contract carefully before we signed it. We relied on the honesty of the nice young man sitting across the desk from us. As we drove home, we looked at the contract we had signed and found that the price of an extended service contract was much higher than we were informed, thus increasing our payment significantly.
    When confronted with this, the finance manager at first denied the misrepresentation, then claimed that this was 'all our fault' even though he admitted that the figures he gave us were not accurate.
    We were able to resolve the dispute but I thought a word of warning would be appropriate for those new (or exhausted) buyers out there - READ ALL THE LINES IN YOUR CONTRACT - also, the nice young man sitting across from you may not have your best interests in mind as he negotiates your purchase.
  • teacher447teacher447 Member Posts: 21
    I purchased a 2004 Santa Fe in May have 6300 miles on it. It is a 4wd 3.5 gls. the only extra was the "wood" dashboard trim. I did add on after I purchased the vehicle, vent shades, mud guards, cross rails, rear cargo mat and floor mats. I ended up buying the car in MD. at Fitzmall.com, everything was done via phone and email. I was able to go to a few local Hyundai dealers in NYC, but found their prices high. I couldn't get to suburban hyundai dealers. Although I did contact a few by phone and was not impressed by the way they did business. Paid a total of $22400 with no trade in. That included ALL costs including Tax of 8.75% (Suffolk Co. NY}, license, etc. Done very professionally. I took the bus down to Wash. DC, pick up the car and drove it home. Very happy with the Santa Fe so far.
  • sactoprofsactoprof Member Posts: 3
    I just recently purchased a 2005 2.7L FWD GLS Santa Fe without any options (other than cross rails). It's got plenty of power. And I like the small changes they made in the '05 (e.g. grill, taillights, wheel spokes, rear bumper, seat fabric, and instrument cluster). I also liked the price: Invoice minus $600 plus $500 advertising assessment minus $750 rebate = $19,911 plus tax and license. I think that's pretty good for an '05. Great treatment at Maita Hyundai in Sacramento; I actually enjoyed buying the car. I'm already averaging almost 22 mpg on my second tank of gas, driving a mix of city and highway. The Santa Fe is as nice as the $30K+ 2000 JGC I got rid of, but without all the problems and noises. I intend to buy an aftermarket extended warranty to bring the bumper-to-bumper coverage to 10 year/100K miles.
  • danf1danf1 Member Posts: 897
    Can I ask why you would purchase an aftermarket warranty? Hyundai offers a 10yr 100k bumper to bumper which should compare favorably to any aftermarket plan.