Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Santa Fe Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• skagwaypilotskagwaypilot Member Posts: 18
    "why not buy from who has the best price and take it in for service at the best service dept?"

Run, don't walk, from a dealer who sells only on price and does not offer good service facilities. Just something as simple as an oil change will cascade into a nightmare. Our car was damaged during a simple service visit for an adjustment. As I indicated, a sizable door ding was 'repaired' by a contractor who operated out of the back of his truck.
    The interior was damaged by an untrained tech who attempted to remove a jammed CD from the player.
    All in all, our 2004 spent more than 50 days in the shop for repairs to the damage done by a dealer staff who sold on price only. And yet, we bought a 2007. So we like the car, but are very wary of the dealer.
    Hyundai has improved a bunch since then, but there are still incompetetent dealers out there, so don't buy on price only.
  • flwonderflwonder Member Posts: 33
    Thanks Skagswaypilot. Good advice but I don't know any real
    good way to check out the service depts until you try them.
    I live in a heavily populated area and there are several
    Hyundai dealers. All are big and have full service depts.
    The good thing about this is that if you have bad luck at
    one the warranty allows you to go to another. You are
    not tied to where the car was bought.

Regards,
    Flwonder
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    It has been my experience that most if not all dealers give you invoice less some amount if you contact them over the internet (as opposed to walking into the showroom). Salesman hate internet sales as they make no money on you, but you save that commission for yourself :-). Best way to do this, is get on edmunds.com. Research the SF you want and ask (online) for quotes from the local dealers. You can chose to be contacted via phone or email if you prefer. Good luck.
  • dave_h2dave_h2 Member Posts: 100
    Thanks for the advice, rick2456.

I will try this approach.

I'll get back with what kind of results I get.
  • oceang2oceang2 Member Posts: 40
    Thats the dealer I was using. email me with your phone number and I'll call you about the info. my email is Oceang2@Lycos.com. I was out of town for a few days and saw this tonight.
  • klamathklamath Member Posts: 6
    I am trying to make a decision on which SUV to purchase. I have test driven the Santa Fe and the Tucson among lots of others. I thought that it was narrowed down to the Escape/Mariner or the Santa Fe. Today while I when for another test drive in the Santa Fe I also drove the Tucson. My wife and I both like the Tucson and the Santa Fe. We have an elder parent living with us now and I think the Tucson would be a little easier to get in and out of.

When I came home I checked the Tucson and Santa Fe discussions. While there are lots of discussions on the Santa Fe there is almost nothing on the Tucson. Is the Tucson a popular small SUV? It's reviews are pretty good and KBB expects it to hold it value. Any comments?
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    The Santa Fe has quite a bit more cargo volume than the Tucson. Is the Tucson big enough for your need? Is it comfortable enough for you? Does the 2.7L (or the 2.0L) give you enough power for your driving style?

If you say yes to all these questions you can go with the Tucson. The reason the discussion is quiet on the Tucson side is that it was introduced almost 3 years ago while the new Santa Fe is still quite new. While popular in Canada, the Tucson did not catch so much in the States. We are used up here to smaller cars due to: Higher prices, more taxes and gas price.
    Taking the internet route (what can I say, I'm an "internet guy" and much prefer it as a communication medium) I sent out quote requests on a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe
    SE 4dr SUV AWD w/XM (3.3L 6cyl 5A) to two separate dealers today (both in Nassau County - Long Island, NY relatively near my house).

Dealer one came back with a simple quote: $24,114. This is an "special internet pricing quote" - which expires in 7 days and not valid after months end. I understand this is standard procedure.

Strictly based on the quoted number, that looks pretty good to me.

This site right here shows MSRP @ $25,845 Invoice @ $24,544 and "what others are paying" @ $25,319.

I am requesting no "optional" equipment, as all the standard features at this trim level seems to be all that I need. FYI - I'm moving away from 10 years and three different minivans (two Dodge Caravans and the current Mazda MPV ES) - to the "family friendly" SUV.

What does anyone make of the quote I just received?
    Not enough information to decide if this is a good
    quote or not. The reason it is good only for 7 days
    is that the current $1000 rebate expires at the end of April
    (7 days from now). Is the price OTD including tax, tag,etc.
    If so it's good. You need a detailed quote to properly
    evaluate.

My experience with internet quotes isn't particularly
    good. Recently sent out to several and only foundone
    dealer willing to cooperate. The rest played all the
    normal games and won't get serious unless you come into
    the store.

The Hyundai inventories are stacking up. Everywhere I
    went had tons of Santa Fe's in stock. I'm waiting till
    May to see if the rebate gets increased.

Good luck.

Flwonder
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    "Our car was damaged during a simple service visit for an adjustment. As I indicated, a sizable door ding was 'repaired' by a contractor who operated out of the back of his truck"

my dealership uses these same kind of services. our touch-up people, dent repair guy, headlight repair, and other things like that are done by contractors on our premises (we don't have an on-site body shop). Now if its something bigger than they can do here, they will take the car to their shop.
  • skagwaypilotskagwaypilot Member Posts: 18
    "my dealership uses these same kind of services. our touch-up people, dent repair guy, headlight repair, and other things like that are done by contractors on our premises (we don't have an on-site body shop). Now if its something bigger than they can do here, they will take the car to their shop."

And when they don't match the paint, or the door ding isn't quite removed, or the remote body shop does a crappy job, everybody shrugs their shoulders and says that they did the best that they could. And you don't have a salesman, sales manager, of GM who give a crap because they did not get enough money on the sale. And, money drives it all. So, you may save on the front end, but, as happened with our purchase, the dealership will leave you hanging. You saved on the purchase, but they've got what little money they'll get from you and they'll move on to new customers. Been there, done that. We may have paid a little more at our full service dealer, but they bend over backwards to make sure that we are happy. For the few dollars more per month, I'll pay the extra to gain some dealership support. They want my business in the future.
    I don't choose the professionals who provide the things I rely on by the cheapest available. That includes my doctor, my dentist, and the folks who service my car. I don't want to be ripped off, but I do want quality professional work at a reasonable price. Perhaps I'm painting with a very broad brush, but my experience with our previous 'discount' dealer was so awful, that I will shop for more than just price in the future.
    And, no, I'm not affiliated with a dealership - I'm just a customer who learned an expensive and unpleasant lesson. :sick:
    Thanks for the feedback, flwonder. Especially about the rebate expiration date.

Yeah, I know there isn't a lot of detailed information there. But the bottom line is still the bottom line (as long as the vehicle quoted it the one I drive off the lot).

The $24,114 price tag does not include tax, title, or license fees. Price includes all applicable rebates.

My experience with internet (and fax prior to that) salespeople is that its a better starting point then just walking in the door and doin the whole song and dance. Plus, its far less time consuming. You already have a much lower established number to work with.

My experience has also been that once you get this number, though - there is very little negotiation room. Since these internet sales managers claim they are already giving you the best price possible (they certainly do come in lower than the floor salesman who start much higher and then are prepared to "do battle" - hey its their job).

I recieved a second quote from another dealer (via internet request)

A lease on an AWD Santa Fe SE with everything in the payment except 1st month and DMV fees is $434/month. The cost to purchase the vehicle would be $24519 including the factory rebate. These prices are good until
    April 30 2006.

I'm sure the 2006 date is just a typo :P

As you can see, the purchase price of this quote is $400 higher. No doubt the dealer adding in a bit more profit for himself.

He does mention the "tax" in the lease, however. Of course that is how I would do it. Everything in the monthly payment.

I'm glad to read the inventories are stacking up. I too am going to wait until the end of May to make my deal.

Please keep posting your thoughts and experiences here in this forum, though. Reading your messages have been a big help.
  • toyotafreektoyotafreek Member Posts: 16
    Go to FitzMall, http://www.fitzmall.com/, and find a comparable car then take the numbers to local dealers. My experience is that some dealers will reject the offer out of hand but that others will accept the offer. I recently purchased a Sante Fe Limited at Fizt's price from a local dealer. Take a copy of part of the Fizt ad when you go shopping.
  • rye2rye2 Member Posts: 3
    I'm a new-comer when it comes to buying a car, and negotiating a fair price.

I've got my eye on a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3L GL FWD w/ Leather Package.

The starting MSRP for this model in Canada is $31,445.

I visited a dealer today where I was more so interested in comparing some of the different models available, but to give me an idea he costed out the model above.

He took the MSRP ($31,445) and added:
    $1,595 for delivery and destination (freight)
    $100 air conditioning tax
    $75 gov't fuel tax
    $4560 tax (14%)

... for a painful grand total of $37,775! Yuck?!

Now, I know that's just a high starting point; but I really don't know what price range I should be targeting from there.

I was hoping to benefit from this month's "blue ribbon event" where they claim to give a $500 credit on Santa Fe FWD vehicles, and are also offering 0% financing for a 36-month payment plan.

Anyone have any advice?? This is my first new car purchase ever... :confuse:

Thanks...
  • slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    I used a similar approach when purchasing a Santa Fe Limited FWD, except I went thru Carsdirect. The contacting dealer gave me the usual spin that the car quoted was not available but had one with AWD and not my color choice. Told him his price was too high and I could do better at Fitzmall. After checking their site he claimed there was no way they could sell at those prices but wanted to talk to his sales manager. He called back a day later and said they had located the exact car I wanted intransit to another dealer and would match Fitz's price. ;)
    This car is in high demand in Canada. Try offering $30K before taxes and rebates. This is as good as you are going to get up here. We are getting close to month end so the timing is good.

Good luck!
  • rye2rye2 Member Posts: 3
    $30k before taxes and rebates; would that be inclusive of the freight as well? Or would have to add that on top also?
    You still have to add the freight on top. $1500 off MSRP is probably as good as you can do here.
    Glad I'm not looking to acquire a Santa Fe as a Canadian resident!

That is a huge differential in price.

I don't get it - Korean boats can't find their way to Canadian shores?
  • ccacpccacp Member Posts: 117
    Actually it isn't even a boat issue. Santa Fes are made in Alabama of the US of A ! Most Canadian branches of the big auto manufacturers have not adjusted their prices down with the ascent of the Canadian dollar and thus there are huge price differentials between US and Canada on many cars and SUVS. Canadian dealers also limit supply artificially and also have less competition all factors that make us pay almost MSRP on most vehicles up here !
    Canadians can purchase a Santa Fe in the US and probably save about 5000 dollars !
  • sunnyboysunnyboy Member Posts: 6
    Hi, guys

I got offered $26,200 from local dealer after $1,000 rebate. It's Out The Door Price of SantaFe Limited Fwd with Premium Package and Floor Mat.

Is is a good price to buy? or Do I need to contact another dealer? $1,000 rebate will be gone on April 30th.

Thanks...
  • rangersrockrangersrock Member Posts: 21
    That sounds high to me. In March, we bought a FWD Ltd with touring package and mats for $22,800+ taxes, title, and license. That was in Texas. Price with taxes, title, and license came to about $24,500. When we were shopping, the dealers called frequently near month's end to try to get our business, usually with a claim that the rebates might not be extended. It seems that the rebate is still around. I'd be surprised if it went away in May.
  • slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    You don't mention what your otd offer includes. Fitzmall has the same car for $24176 plus $99 processing fee plus taxes. If your offer includes taxes and dealer fees it looks like a good price. Rebate will likely be extended into May. Good luck.
  • sunnyboysunnyboy Member Posts: 6
    Yes, my OTD includes everything, advertising fee, processing fee, dealer fees, and tax(6.25%). Dealer said Hyundai holding back in $800 and I cut it down to $150. I will put more detailes later.

Thanks, Slateblue.
    Hi, I am reporting what I just paid for a Santa Fe SE FWD in Northern California. I paid $24,994 for the car with touring and premium packages floor mats and a dealer installed tow bar. I could not find a Limited in a light color and just fwd. So this one has just about everything I wanted but the leather. This is the price before tax and license.
  • eadlertxeadlertx Member Posts: 20
    rangersrock, where did you buy your SantaFe?
    I bought it Tracy Hyundai. All in all not a bad experience.
  • rangersrockrangersrock Member Posts: 21
    I purchased mine at Allen Samuels Hyundai in Ft. Worth.
  • tcwiklatcwikla Member Posts: 7
    Thanks to this forums and edmunds in general, I purchased mine in Chicago at Gartner two weeks ago. Price for the limited FWD was $23385 with Premium package, mats, and cargo tray. Price is before TTL.
    Does anyone have any information about the Santa Fe
    rebates for May '07?

Flwonder
  • ppetroffppetroff Member Posts: 10
    Have read many of your posts on pricing and am getting some ideas on what we should offer for a SF Limited FWD with the 3rd row (the touring package). My husband is thinking we should offer no more than 24,500 plus tax and license. Would love opinions. We've seen such a variance of prices. We are going to try for the Hyundai financing instead of the rebate (if they have a decent offer this month) or we can take the rebate if we can secure a decent rate - also any suggestions would be helpful on some good rates - we think we can get 6.5% at our local credit union. There isn't much difference in payments at that % w/rebate vs. 3.9% thru HMFC.
    Also, does anyone know:
    ---if there are regional price differences (we live in CO) that we should be aware of.
    -- Do the dealers get a "kickback" for having customers finance thru HMFC and is that something we should keep in the back of our heads like the holdback amount
    -- Does Hyundai do the floorplan fee/wholesale financial reserve (another type of holdback that I've seen that Toyota does)
    -- Any thoughts on Fitzmall.com. I thought of printing out one of their prices to take to the dealer. Has anyone bought from them with good success and been shipped a vehicle?
    Sorry for the length of this. This is a great board that has been very helpful. We haven't bought a new car in many years and this board has got us fired up to get a great deal! Thanks for your help.
  • np01np01 Member Posts: 17
    Since you're in CO, I would recommmend Arapaho Hyundai in Denver if you're anywhere close. We made all arrangement with June Reynolds, their internet sales person, by email - no hassles. List on our Limited AWD w/ Premium package was a little over $30K and our otd price was $25,200. We also got full wholesale value for our Outback trade. Great car, and easy place to work with.
    Great price - what I like to hear! Did you arrange financing with them as well? Are the internet sales people able to offer Hyundai financing? We are actually in Ft. Collins, but travel to Denver for soccer now and then. At any rate, I could get a price from her and use it to negotiate here in Ft. C.
  • oceang2oceang2 Member Posts: 40
    The new Hyundai rebates/incentives are made public on the 3rd-4th of the month. They always have a lapse of the 1st 3 days of the month. Wait until Friday.
  • mrmister2000mrmister2000 Member Posts: 86
    Well, I can't comment on the Tucson, since I haven't test-driven one, but I have test driven the new Santa Fe, as well as the new 08 Mercury Mariner. I loved the Santa Fe, but the lack of leasing incentives made me choose the Mariner. Personally, if stuck between a Tucson and a Santa Fe I'd go with the Santa Fe. It's much nicer and more advanced than the Tucson. But, I'd also have to say don't rule out the new 08 Mariner. I've had mine for 5 days now and I have to admit that I love it more and more every day. I had actually sworn against getting another American vehicle, but the Mariner made me reconsider.
  • phaet2112phaet2112 Member Posts: 3
    The Mariner has far fewer safety features and standard options as compared to the Santa Fe. Elec. Stability Control, traction control, and crash worthiness ratings, brake assist, anti roll bar, and non-standard side air bags are among the safety features completely absent on the Mariner up through the luxury model but present as standard on the base GLS.

I think the Mariner is really better compared with the Tuscon, as it is also smaller than the Santa Fe by nearly a foot (12 cubic feet cargo) and 500 lbs, and *still* the Tuscon has way more standard safety features and such. The Mariner has a similar residual value as the Santa Fe, but as the Tuscon is about the same and cheaper to boot, I think it makes a better investment for a lease. And I think Hyundais have a better chance to see their residual values go up as they become more popular (I see a lot of Tuscons and Santa Fes) compared to Mercury.

I may be biased because I tried the Santa Fe, Outlander, and CR-V and came away

a) disappointed in the CR-V's ride, engine (pokey!), and some interior styles
    b) understanding the Outlander really isn't meant for non-sporty enthusiasts with its ride (really really rough) but otherwise nice
    c) happy with the Santa Fe overall.
    Hi there. I believe that you are thinking about the '07 Mariner. The new '08 Mariner is redesigned inside and out and all non-hybrid trims of the Mariner come standard with ESC, traction control, EBD, side curtain airbags, yaw sensor roll-over detection/extended duration air bag deployment, and 22mm front stabilizer bar. It's also one of the first new vehicles to meet the upgraded phase II Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) for front- and side-impact collisions. About the only thing that I can think of at the moment that the new Mariner lacks is down-hill brake assist. But, other than that, I feel it is clearly superior to the Tucson from a "safety features" perspective. True, it is a smaller vehicle than the Santa Fe and it's V6 is also less powerful (Mariner's 200hp vs. Santa Fe's 242hp).

I'm not trying to say that the Tucson is a bad vehicle and even though I now drive the Mariner I still hold the Santa Fe in high regard, but I just wanted to clear up the safety-features misconception above. :)
  • cheapengineercheapengineer Member Posts: 36
    Can you please be very specific with this? Is the "FWD" in your quote stand for "Four Wheel Drive" or more likely "Front Wheel Drive"?
  • cheapengineercheapengineer Member Posts: 36
    I have a price of $24961.00 for a 2007 Santa Fe Limited AWD with the premium package. This includes the $1000 rebate but not TTL. Is this or good price or has anyone done better?
    That price is about the same as what I paid, which was $25,200 including 400 dealer prep. If you're trading, have they given you full wholesale for your trade?
    Nice to see that Mercury hasn't bumped the price much now that they are including all the safety features. Since the 2008 Mariner still weighs less (400 lbs), was there any noticeable pokey-ness associated with the 4 or 6 cylinder?
    Well, I can't speak for the 4 cylinder, but my Mariner (which has a 6) has some good "get up and go" when I floor the accelerator. I had been a little worried about this at first, since it's 42HP less than the Santa. Unfortunately, while test-driving the Santa I never really got a chance to floor it and see what it could do. :( But I do remember the Santa having a nice, smooth, quiet ride. The price which I had negotiated for the Santa was $26,200 and that was for an AWD Limited with the Ultimate Package. As I had said previously, I was quite happy with the price, but once I found out what the lease finance rate was for the vehicle and had calculated the monthly lease payments they ended up being about 33% more than I had thought they were going to be. Now, if I had been in a position to buy instead of lease, I probably would have snatched up the Santa right then and there. Oh well, at least I can say that I'm extremely pleased thus far with my new Mariner. Both are very smooth-riding, quiet, upscale-looking vehicles. :)
  • pongspongs Member Posts: 14
    Hi mrmister2000,

In my opinion, you have a very good quote for the Santa Fe Limited AWD with Ultimate Package. I will surely buy the Santa Fe at that price since my wife has no other choice.

Can I ask the name of the dealership that gave you the $26,200 quote?

Thank you.

pongs
    $25640 for Deepwater Blue SE AWD.

This does not include $1000 rebate, or TTL. Fees totaled $200, sales tax was $1710 ($4250 trade in applied before 8% tax). OTD was $21300. The $25961 is crazy nice for the Limited AWD with premium package, which should be $27960 invoice. Has to be something up with that price, like not including a trade in, or its for the front wheel drive model.
    Got a decent quote from June of $24,030 (that isn't including dest. charge and taxes and license). I think we can still do a little better. Did you take the first price she offered you? Did your final price include the rebate? Is the $25,200 price INCLUDING your taxes and dest. fee? Also, can you provide me with your email address for further questions.
    That sounds like a great offer, depending on equipment and without considering the trade value. The price that was offered me was in line with the other good deals that I'd seen so I went with it, and it does include the dest. fee and $400 dealer prep. Good luck with your bargaining!
    I still think it is a bit high considering you have the AWD and we are looking at getting the FWD - which is 2000 less than the FWD. We want the 3rd row seat which invoice is $1100 and you had the sunroof, which is $800. She didn't state what the dealer prep was, but now I am guessing her price includes the 680 destination fee. I can't remember if I asked you if you got the $1000 rebate in that price. Did you? We already have a vehicle sold so we don't have to deal with that - and I would think that would help us. Was this the first initial price she gave you - or did you negotiate down with her? I had 2 other dealers from the Front Range contact me and they were just idiots - so we may indeed end up making the drive to So. Denver. She at least appears to be very professional and doesn't seem to screw around. Thanks again for any more feedback.
    Oh, sorry, one more question: did your $25,200 include your tax and license?
  • haewallihaewalli Member Posts: 19
    #796 of 814 May 07 Santa Fe Rebates by flwonder May 01, 2007 (12:03 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply
    Does anyone have any information about the Santa Fe
    rebates for May '07?

Flwonder

yes, i would like the answer to this question as well :)
    The Hyundai web site shows
    $1000 rebate or 0% financing for
    either 24 or 36 months. Also the
    $500 military rebate is still in
    effect.

I'm disappointed. Thought it would be
    more.

Flwonder