Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV Aftermarket & Accessories

Comments

• mls64mls64 Member Posts: 9
    I remember reading a post a while back about a console for use between the front seats. I can't seem to find one. Does anyone know of a source?

Mike
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    Mike,

What you are looking for is the Walmart Clutter Catcher. You may need to install it from behind the seats with the coin rack facing to the rear. It will be a tight fit but it works great and you will not need to use the screws to secure it to the floor.

Good Luck

MSGJVH
  • pastorgumbypastorgumby Member Posts: 14
    I have an 2001, Silver Lx w/ touring, security, and 4 seasons pkg. I put on an aftermarket fog light PIAA (i don't know the exact model), but they are small. The shop that installed it, did a shabby job- cutting out a small hole in the original fog light area, and not putting brackets on. I went back, they did it right... but the glass came loose. I crazy glued it, and it fogged up inside (to my chagrin), but it cleared up by itself.
    Finally, I am happy with the purchase- PIAA fog lights... small but very bright. Cost= $250 w/ installation and return trip to shabby work.
    Hi, just posting(w/o checkin' if this was already discussed) if there is a preferred product for those window ventshades? There are several brands, and I'm leaning toward the ones which have a "micro-flange" that needs no tape to install.
    Any opinions? Thanks...
  • toby_laitoby_lai Member Posts: 22
    Hi there, does anyone know of any online websites that sell OEM Mazda parts for the MPV (oil filter, air filter, etc)? Thanks.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    www.mazdastuff.com
    I just bought the weathertech wind & rain deflectors at http://www.urbanjunglesuv.com/weathertech_wind_rain_deflector_urban_jungle.htm (great price w/ free shipping).

Easy to install... (once you get the hang of it)

looks great! 2 thumbs up!

PastorGumby

• dbs2001dbs2001 Member Posts: 46
    I don't see the MPV listed?

Dennis
    Hi everyone. I'm interested in getting a shorter version radio antenna for my '01 MPV, to replace the long one that's installed on the front passenger side fender... anyone knows if any aftermarket company makes one for the MPV? TIA.
    Dennis, if you call the toll free number they will have it in stock for the MPV. You will save just a few bucks with the free shipping (I've checked around other sites).

An interesting side note: i believe they all ship from the original MacNeil store- I just ordered and put in a K & N filter for my 01 MPV, and they had my info in their database for the wind deflectors.

I definitely recommend the K&N air filter- a subtley noticable improvement in performance (i'm not sure about mpg).
    Has anyone put these on their MPV yourself? How much do they charge for them, roughly? I'm thinking of getting them and do the install myself, does it require considerable skills to install them? TIA.
  • drrocketdrrocket Member Posts: 67
    Has anybody here invested in "LampGards" (clear urethane protective film for headlights, etc.) for their MPV? Any opinions about them? Are they affected by high pressure car washes?

Thanks in advance,
  • deanc3deanc3 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have a Mazda bug guard on their MPV?
    If you do how does it look?
  • j2kbarlowj2kbarlow Member Posts: 89
    I don't have them myself, but I am familiar with what you're talking about. I'd like to hear from someone who's used them too. If they work as advertised, they seem like they'd be a smart investment...
    I purchased a set of WeatherTech mats for my '00 MPV ES, part no. W-2GR, and am disappointed that the width of the front mats is not sufficient to cover the entire width of the carpet mat that came with the van. [If I didn't want more complete coverage I would have stayed with the Kraco mats I bought for half the price.]

The website photo shows more complete coverage. Did I get a mismarked set, or is this the way they fit?

Thanks for any helpful feedback.
  • whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
    Got it as part of the deal, but installed it myself, didn't trust the dealer.
    Looks great, no drilling and tape required, friction+screw mount onto existing 2 holes. Two small clear urethane protective films are required so the 2 end support clips do not damage the paint. The urethane protective film is much easier to remove than those rubber supports used by other manufacturers, when needed.
  • adamisadamadamisadam Member Posts: 6
    I'm installing my Nokia car kit and am looking for the following:

1) where to get constant power?
    2) where to get switched power?
    3) where to tap into (in radio) for the MUTE feature (I have the 6 disc changer unit)

Also, how do I take the center dash assembly out on my 2002 MPV ES?

Finally, has anyone had success with mounting locations that they'd like to share? I'm thinking at about 8 o'clock from the temp dial.

Thanks.
    Adam
  • jyjohnsonjyjohnson Member Posts: 2
    Anybody had one of these installed? I only plan to "tow" a cargo-carrier. Just called a dealer and price was $450+ (part + installation), which is a bit pricey.

The alternative I'm looking at is one of those boxes that sit on the roof (Thule or Yakima). Yakima has one that will work w/ the OEM roof-rack. Any advice on this? Thanks.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I have a factory hitch on my MPV. I had the hitch installed at the dealer but did the wiring on my own. If you are ok with doing that you could probably save a few bucks as Mazda's wiring kit is rather pricey. I used a brake light converter from Wal-mart, not the Mazda unit.

The thing about the aftermarket hitches is that they don't meet the OE crash specs. Mazda had some trouble with this early on so they were about a year and half late on the release, but the one they offer does meet these specs and will not interfere with vehicle components during a collision. Just something to think about.
  • bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    Anyone know if there's an engine oil cooler out there for the 3.0 Duratec ? Or does the 4 seasons include one ?

Me thinks the "increased cooling capacity" in the 4 seasons package is confined to a bigger radiator and a transmission cooler, but doesn't include an engine oil cooler. Anyone know for sure ?

Thanks in advance...

(I'd do a search, but the search doesn't work... hint, hint, Edmunds. How long have we gone without search capability worthy of the name now ?)
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    From what I've seen/learned, it's a sandwich type, not a radiator type, so it's cooled by radiator fluid passing through the oil cooler, in separate passages. Interesting design, and I've seen it used on many other vehicles. You want to see it? Your oil filter is attached to it. What you'll see is your oil filter attached to this small box that has two hoses coming out. Those hoses carry the coolant. B4 someone says this type of cooler is not a good thing... your van shouldn't really need a large oil cooler, imho. A radiator-style cooler would be better though. The tranny cooler's more important, as is a larger radiator.

/javadoc

Search doesn't and hasn't worked for a [non-permissible content removed]'s age. I've always thought that Search must be a Micro$oft product, since it's as effective as M$'s Help features, lol.
    Hmmm... I crawled under the MPV specifically to see where the oil filter was mounted, and while I was there I looked for coolant lines and didn't see any... This was at the Denver Auto Show - I'm still an MPV-Owner-Wannabe.

Guess I'll have to look again the next time I get the chance. I'm familiar with what you're describing, because I put that type of engine oil cooler on our Forester (OEM). Works good. (Less filling ?) :)
    email me and I'll show you if you want.

/j
  • wkb4447wkb4447 Member Posts: 14
    I have a wonderful 1989 MPV that won't die and need some accessories and parts. Anyone have a favorite spot on the Internet? Please provide link in message. Thanks!
    My '00 MPV ES antenna has been turned into a wire sculpture by the electronic gate at the subway-train station. Should I simply get a replacement from a Mazda dealership, or are there any "new & improved" aftermarket antennae I should consider?

Thanks in advance.
  • mchuchramchuchra Member Posts: 25
    I recently purchased a 2003 MPV LX and hope to keep it running great for a L-O-N-G time. I cannot seem to find a service manual that covers the 2000+ MPVs. Although I don't have any repair issues just yet, service manuals can be very helpful for even routine maintenance. Plus it can make you better educated when speaking to the repair shop, if/when that time becomes necessary.

Has anyone found any repair/service manual for the recent vintage MPVs? If so, where?
  • ajacat1ajacat1 Member Posts: 87
    Hi--considering a 2002 or 2003 mpv and wondering whether anyone's done anything to the engine, chip or s/c, maybe, to get some extra hp? Low-end torque improvements would be much appreciated too...

thanks in advance
  • ajacat1ajacat1 Member Posts: 87
    Hi--saw the post about these and am wondering--when I enter 2003 MPV all I see that's available are an air filter and an oil filter. Is the "filtercharger" different from the "air filter"?

tia again
  • lsinclsinc Member Posts: 270
    Anyone have the cargo organizer? Just wondering how it works with the tumble under seat? Can you actually still stow the seat? Does the organizer hold much?

Also, the bug deflector. Does it help with the bugs?

Thanks.

Leslie
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    "Filtercharger" is just the name K&N gives their air filters to help people realize that they're not just air filters. In essence, they "charge" the air going into your engine by enabling better filtered and denser air to pass through from the intake. Better, denser air makes for slightly more power.

I put one in my '86 Cutlass, a few years before I sold it in '97, after which I vowed to have one in every car I own. My wife's car had one soon after I put the one in my Cutlass, then I put one in my '98 GMC Jimmy, which really seems to compliment the Vortec engine and give a bit more boost.

Now, we have one in my wife's new '03 MPV, as well. It was hard to find at automotive stores, where they told me they'd have to order it. I then checked with our Mazda dealership, and they carry K&N. I slapped it in (I wish it was that easy; you have to disassemble the whole air intake, just to get to the filter!) as soon as we got home from the dealership. We ordered my wife's MPV, giving me time to get all of the extra goodies for it before it arrived, so she only had one drive with the stock filter in. But the next day she mentioned that the van felt a bit more peppy. I told her that I had installed the K&N the night before, and she was glad that I did.
  • marylizusmarylizus Member Posts: 24
    We have a 2002 MPV and we're looking for a bike rack. We'd like either a hitch mounted rack or a rear trunk mounted rack. I can't seem to find a hitch anyplace but the dealer for $215 plus installation! Is anyone using a trunk mounted rack for 3-4 bikes? What brand? Does it work, or does your van get all scratched up?

Thanks.
    All of the trunk/hatch mounted systems that I've seen tend to scratch up the rear of the vehicle, in the worst manner. I used to have a Cycle Shuttle that I used, with the same result. Yak has their Roc line of hitch-mounted racks, which I believe start at about $160, plus a hitch.

For actual hitches, the Mazda one is great, but you may try Valley or Hidden Hitch... or U-haul, who is known to carry hitches for vehicles. I've always liked keeping my bikes up top, out of harms way, although it is difficult to mount the bikes w/o a stepladder.
    Hmmm. Can't speak to things getting scratched up - hasn't happened yet, but we don't use ours that often either...

We have a Softride Access LX. This is available for either 1.25" or 2" receivers, has a special, patented frame design that holds the bikes level when you swing them out from the hatch to gain access to the rear of the vehicle and accepts accessories for ski's and whatnot. The frame design keeps the bikes from swinging around when you move them out from the vehicle, and makes it a cinch to load.

You can get a mount for the removable bars and use the same bars to store your bikes in the garage. Very versatile. Built-in anti-rattle. Very well made. Holds 4 bikes, so long as you stay under 150# (1.25" receiver, class II receiver - more weight capacity available in the 2" model).

We thought it a better value than anything we've seen from the big boys. (We use Yakima for everything else, but I didn't think their hitch mounted racks were anything special...)

hth,

-brianV
  • marylizusmarylizus Member Posts: 24
    We have a trunk mounted hitch for our toyota and we're going to use that for now. The mfg gave us the settings we have to use to get it to fit the Mazda. We haven't had any problems with scratching on the Toyota..I hope it's the same for the van. If it doesn't work well for us, we'll get the hitch. When I was calling hitch places, I was told they had hitches for MPVs up to 2000, but it was hard to fit the 2000-. I'm glad to hear some of you have found hitches. The ROc rack to go with the hitch is $170, and the hitch was going to probably be close to $200, so I think we'll try the free option before spending $370.

We like the versatility of the roof mounts, but I don't have the upper body strength to get the bikes on and off the rack. I often bike with the kids and not hubby, so I don't think that would work for us. Until now, I've just thrown the bikes into the back of the van.

Hope my pretty van doesn't get scratched! Thanks for the info.
    Oh, when I wrote about scratching, I was referring to the type of racks that attach to the rear hatch directly. The hitch-mounted racks are a great solution.
  • cutawaycutaway Member Posts: 5
    Love the car...a bit worried about the hard shifting...but sounds like a re-flash should fix the transmission problem...

However...am I the only one not pleased with the cheap fixed antenna for the MPV? I can't locate any aftermarket power antenna. And the MPV HQ replied saying that they do not intend to have any enhancements.

What is the idea with having a cheap antenna?

James
  • bigdadibigdadi Member Posts: 72
    Living in NE area I would rather have the fixed one instead of the powered one because the powered one will get frozen easily during winter months.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    My Sienna & MPV have the same antenna - there are probably more. The power antennas are nice but like bigdadi said they get frozen. I've replaced two conked out power antennas and that wasn't too much fun. I like the stock one.
  • oldmedicoldmedic Member Posts: 78
    I bought a manual hide-away antenna from Crutchfield's several years ago. Don't know if they still make them. Big help when going through the carwash. Very high quality and attractive looking. Would solve the problem with freezing up north as well. Mine was completely recessed and required a key to extend. Might this help?
    Anyone interested in decent priced oem goodies should check a site called www.mazdastuff.com. Texas Mazda dealer that's really offering great parts prices and reasonable shipping too.
    I recently found another genuine Mazda parts dealer called MazdaPartsPeople.com that beat some of the prices at madzastuff.com. Shipping costs are resonable as well.
  • etivacetivac Member Posts: 1
    hi, i've been reading posted messages from mazda mpv owners; they are very informative. i've been looking for 04 MPV bug deflector but the dealership don't have them yet, and several internet sites offer only the ones for 03's.
    can someone tell me if the 03 MPV bug deflector would fit on the 04 mpv hood? or if you know of other sites which offer the ones for the 04, please let me know. thanks in advance.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Mazda Mania

Welcome to the Mazda Mania Weekly Chat!

Liven up your evening and join your fellow enthusiasts every Tuesday from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET for our Mazda Mania Chat!

We have another set of Mazda-related trivia questions this week, so be prepared! Hope to see YOU there on Tuesday!

Mazda Mania Chat Room

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • suziesuzie Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have experience using the DVD system with a gaming system like Game Cube, X-Box, etc.??? We are about to drive cross country with an 8 & 10 y.o. I anticipate the movies will get old after awhile. I heard you can rent a Game Cube system from Blockbuster.
    I received no manual on the DVD system when I purchased my '03 MPV last month. It was a demo with 5K miles. I'm not sure if a DVD manual was lost or if is just doesn't exist. Thanks!
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    The brochure said it plays DVD CDs, Audio CDs, and MP3 CDs. Check the system whether you can find INPUT jacks for audio and video. If yes, then you can try hookup video game machine. Can the video machine run in 12V? If not, you need a converter for DC-12 converts to AC-110.
  • quest132kquest132k Member Posts: 17
    Way back when in the olden days (1986), we managed to make a cross country trip with an 8-yr-old and a 10-yr-old in an 86 Aerostar where the only entertainment options for the poor kids were:
    1) look out the window
    2) read a book
    3) listen to parents sing along with the oldies

Poor deprived young'uns have since grown up to be a civil engineer and an MBA.
  • dlmc4dlmc4 Member Posts: 26
    I went on a long trip and borrowed a lap top CPU that worked out perfect for the young ones. They were able to play games and it even had a DVD drive. They were able to watch movies in the car and at the cottage we rented. This way the 2 could even watch different movies in the car if they so choose. (Most lap tops have headphone jacks) Just make sure you have a regular power cord and a car adapter cord and everyone will be good to go.

But to answer your question, I don't think that you can hook up a gaming system to the DVD player. The ones that I've seen dont have the input jacks needed.
  • bloomingtongbloomingtong Member Posts: 4
    This has probably been asked before but here goes...

I have the large (model 20) Sears rooftop cargo box. My 2001 MPV has a factory roof rack. I know the rack can handle up to 100lbs. My questions. Should I upgrade to Thule/Yakima supports for added strength vs. the factory crossbars when using this carrier? Any recommended units that work well with the factory system for attaching these cargo boxes?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    Hello. Been a LONG time since I've posted or visited here. I have 26K miles on my 2003 MPV and it's running great!
    I am looking for a front bra for my van that has the GFX package. I've seen them on the net...but all state NOT for those with GFX package!! Any ideas?

PS: Tranny is still shifting smoothly going on 6 months after final fix!! Mileage is not that great though...19MPG around town...thought I would get in the 20's at least..:-(
  • mom2girlsmom2girls Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how or where I can find info to program my keyless remote for a 2001 MPV LX.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.