Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Owners Tell Ford What you Want!

melissamelissa Member Posts: 27
edited August 2014 in Ford
Use this discuss to let Ford what you want changed on the Focus.

Comments

• fgaydos1fgaydos1 Member Posts: 5
    I would love to have the option of upgrading my front passenger seat to a easy entry seat. That is , one where all you need is one finger to have the seat back flip forward and the entire seat slide forward.
    I just had a passenger in my back seat tonight, struggle to exit from the rear. This happens all the time. Embarrassing.
  • northguynorthguy Member Posts: 14
    I'd like to see an all wheel drive zx3 available that would be priced well under the Subaru Imprezza. For those of us living in snow country this would be an excellent alternative to what we have available now. I currently have a Subaru wagon but servicing is a pain since the nearest dealer is 60 miles away. Seems like rural America always has a Ford dealer nearby. I did buy an 01 ZX3 instead of a Subaru this time but kept the 96 Sub just in case the zx turned out to be a lemon. (the price of the zx3 made this possible-didn't need the trade in to afford another car) I actually like driving the zx3 more than the Subaru. I find the seating position much more comfortable. I agree with the previous posting that an easy entry front seat is a much needed improvement. If Ford really wants to make the Focus a true "world car" I think they are going to have to compete with the products offered by manufacturers like Subaru and Audi and try to do it better and cheaper.
  • zx3beastzx3beast Member Posts: 661
    i want a rebate for all the wasted time in the
    ford dealerships waiting for recall work to be done
    correctly.they need a better system to facilitate
    parts delivery in a more timely fashion.
  • sweetlidcsweetlidc Member Posts: 2
    I love this car, but I think the seatbelts are so inconvenient. I have to reach back to India to grab the dang thing. Also, I agree with the prior post about the easy entry, personally I would like to have it on the driver and front passenger seat. I always have to readjust my seat after I throw something in the back, it's a pain. Even my prior car, a very basic Honda Civic hatch had the easy entry feature.
  • pcleveland2pcleveland2 Member Posts: 516
    Come on ZX3beast, a rebate? I'm still waiting for my stainless steel mug and I think my ZX3 was one of the first to get that recall fixed.

Pat
    Yes, yes, yes!! Ford even has had it in other vehicles.
    pat, with the rebate i will buy you the mug. better yet, ill send you one anyway.rebate or not! just let me know where you want it sent.
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    I tried to give Pat my mug, and he wouldn't take it :)
    you can send pat the mug, i will send his beverage of choice.
    Coffee with good company!
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    Order in June - get by December.

7,500 unit production run.

Here is the official site:

http://www.svt.ford.com/focus.html

• maureen9maureen9 Member Posts: 8
    I would really like to see a more efficient parts delivery system. I have owned my Focus for 62 days and it was in the dealership waiting for parts for 24 of them. I haven't had a chance to wish for anything else, but the easy entry seat would be great. By the way, what mug?
    Ford gave a stainless steel coffee mug to many of us with 2000 model ZX3s after the first recall (fuel pressure sensor) as a way of saying "sorry for the hassle". I've had several more recalls repaired, but no more mugs have appeared in my mailbox. Between the deal I made on my car (about $50 under dealer invoice), and all the recall services and rental cars charged back to Ford, it's hard to imagine they made any money on my car.
    What mug? My biggest complaint. And I want it to come from Jac!
    Pat
    pat,
    if you think about it, they did send you jac. jac....you know what !
    Yes, seems I did get a e-mail to that reference.
  • phowell1phowell1 Member Posts: 35
    Rebates would be more than great and owed. When the car is sitting waiting for parts it shows poor planning and enginering by FORD. They get paid like everyone else and down time is $ start billing your dealership and Ford for down time eventually it will go to court if enough people pass it and a judge who has had warranty night mares himself will make them pay for you inconvienace and lost time. Then it is set we can all hold Ford or any manufacture responsible for their own shotty workman ship. Now there is no way to get them to pay for what they do to the consumer
  • zamulinkzamulink Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2000 Focus for 8 months. And in the past 3 1/2 months it has been in for squeaky brake service. What is Ford doing to STOP this noise? I am embarrassed to drive my car. I think something should be done! Don't get me wrong, I love my Focus. It has alot of room and it drives so smooth. But the brakes are annoying!
    zamulink, there have been several TSBs issued on the topic of brake squeal and noise - tell your dealer to look them up! I understand the rear brake shoes are being replaced at no charge with an improved compound when a customer complains of rear brake noise. You didn't specify - are your front or rear brakes making noise? I have also read that Ford has reformulated the front pad compound due to noise and dust complaints. Have your service person do some research, or find a better service department.
  • jjc5jjc5 Member Posts: 16
    Ford,

Please consider these items for your redesign of the Focus:

1. Folding side-view mirrors.

2. Considering that people like wagons and hatches, perhaps make the wagon lights similar to those on the hatch.

3. Allow advancetrac, 4 disc brakes, dark charcoal interior, and "sports" cloth on the wagon. Having a fully safe, and perhaps fun wagon will compete much more with the Jetta wagon. Parchment and the Medium grey are OK, but a bit boring. Plus, if you're doing a lot of hauling, the dark charcoal shows much less dirt.

4. Lumbar support as an option in the wagon and hatchling. Would this mean leather seating surfaces? Maybe, but the "Ghia"-like upgrade would be warranted.

5. Expand color choices for the hatch -- light sapphire blue is outstanding in the ZX5!

6. Really work on the gas mileage to have it closer to the Japanese cars.

7. And the most important item -- please split the darn rear bench so that owners truly have a 60/40 folding seat. I'm certain owners would pay an extra 50-100 for that standard item. Plus, one wouldn't need to worry about damaging the hinge in the back.

Just a wish list, Ford!
  • jnmartinjnmartin Member Posts: 36
    silver bullet - not to sound too much like a dumb blonde, but someone told me that cars either have front or rear brakes and not both. When it got cold, I too noticed that my brakes squeal or ring and it sounds like it is coming from the front. Will this have to come out of pocket, or will ford replace them for me?
    The car is only 6mos old, and I think brakes should last longer than 6mos? Right?
    My friend said it was normal, and that it would come out of pocket. I looked at them and noticed that the area around them is rusting (or covered in brake dust???) and again was told that this was normal.

I ask because you mentioned the brakes in posting #20 and you seem to know what you are talking about.
    All cars made today have brakes on all four wheels - maybe your friend was trying to say that many cars have DISC BRAKES only on the front wheels, with DRUM BRAKES used on the rear. This is a typical set-up on small, inexpensive cars like the Focus. Unless you order the AdvanceTrac option, you won't get four-wheel DISC brakes on a ZX3. Okay? Now, all brakes are capable of generating some noise. Since the friction surfaces (disc and drum) are bare, unpainted cast iron, they will get a film of rust just sitting in a damp climate. This rust will generate a squeak when you brake, but is rubbed off rather quickly by normal braking. If you are getting a squeak or squeal everytime you brake, even after using your brakes for awhile, you probably have glazed pads (front discs) or shoes (rear drums), or some sort of contamination on the friction material. Generally, cleaning the brakes and replacing the offending pads or shoes will solve this problem. Who pays for this work is another matter - you need to take this up with your service manager. And yes, the black dust all over your front wheels is due to the pad compound Ford specified for the ZX3. Aftermarket pads (like EBC Kevlar pads) almost totally eliminate this problem - and they don't squeal, either. Hope all this helps.
  • maikimaiki Member Posts: 27
    I received my special ordered 2001 ZX3 last Thursday. In general I love it. Today I found something about it I do not love.

I was backing out of my narrow carport this morning, and the passenger side mirror scraped against the post of the carport. (My previous car didn't have a passenger side mirror.) Most side mirrors would bend if that happened. Instead, mine fell off, dangling from a wire.

I was not driving fast. It was not a strong impact, just a bare touch. Those plastic mirror housings seem very flimsy, not connected very sturdily to the car, and don't bend. So, the slightest touch breaks them off!

While I was driving it started banging on the car. I got off the freeway, and pushed it back into place. On the freeway it fell off again, dangling, banging more against the car. All the banging left a lot of black marks (from the black plastic mirror) on the white car.

I thought it might be covered by the warranty. It seemed defective, to fall off so easily. I brought the car to the Ford dealer service dept. in the afternoon. The service guy said that's not covered by the warranty. He said he has had to replace a lot of those, although the Focus was new in the States last year. He said the whole mirror houseing would need to be replaced, and would cost me around $275. (and mine is not powered.) That wouldn't cover the damage of the black marks on the body, which I have to bring it to a body shop for.

Anyone else had problems with those mirrors? Any recalls? Class action suits? Such defective mirror housings should be covered by the warranty.

What a pain! Less than a week after I got the car!
  • phowell1phowell1 Member Posts: 35
    All I want is for Ford to tell the truth about Focus gas mileage Mine is a 2001 and it sucks 18 to 20 in town and 24 to 35 on a trip. I have spoke to many people and they all have this complaint I spoke to the service manager here and he runs when he seed me he said he knows there is a major problem with the fuel useage but Until Ford does something or comes up with a fix he doesnt know what to do. He said his Ford rep said they know there is a problem but more or less have the idea so what. Ford you lie about the mpg at least on some you do maybe my engine was made on a Monday buy a guy with a hangover I dont know but this thing is leaving if the mileage doesnt get better and I will never by Asmerican again
  • jjc5jjc5 Member Posts: 16
    Just found out that the Focus wagon will be available very soon in a ZTS version, with all the amenities as such supplied. Finally, Ford listened! Would have bought this edition day one; however, the SE Wagon is humming along just fine.
  • jansajansa Member Posts: 5
    1. Fold-in side mirrors
    2. Real 60-40 bench
    3. Reasonable floor mats (you already make them)
    4. CD player that knows MP3
    No, 5. Solve front disc brake issues.
  • cgsangelcgsangel Member Posts: 79
    I think Ford should make as an option a black protective cover for the back bumper, like they have on the trucks, wagons and vans. The bumper is too vulnerable to scratches and damage when loading and unloading stuff.

If there is an aftermarket cover available for this purpose, then I would consider getting one. If someone knows, please post a link or location.

Thanks.

Charlie
  • shomeyrwitshomeyrwit Member Posts: 1
    I want a 2 door wagon. Like a ZX3 with the flatter roof line and wagon rearend. Similar to the Made In Detroit Show car.
    Main reason, I a big guy and the long door pushes the B Pillar back and gives me more shoulder room, not to mention that with the longer door I can comfortably rest my arm in the open window.
    Incidentally on edmunds it says all Focui have 103 in wheelbase's. anyone know if this is true? If so maybe I can just buy a ZX3 and then look for a wrecked wagon..
  • rthayerrthayer Member Posts: 10
    I took this gripe up with Ford last fall and
    got nowhere. In October they offered a 100k
    extended powertrain warranty on all 2002 Foci.
    This offer was publicized only in certain areas
    and not in others as Ford was in serious money
    trouble then which has now become apparent. Then
    Chrysler gave out 100k extended powertrain
    warranties on all 01's and 02's. Still in effect.
    I had an 01 bought on Sept 10 and when I asked
    if I could even buy the extended powertrain
    warranty Ford representatives first denied that
    any such offer existed for any Focus and that I
    could buy an extended warranty (I had one)They
    did not know the difference between an extended
    warranty and an extended powertrain warranty. I
    got nowhere with Customer Service who sends out
    computer generated autoreplies that give no evidence that anyone reads anything. Bottom line:
    I like the focus and when it dies, I go to
    another manufacturer never to return to Ford.I
    want Ford to know that.
  • w9rspw9rsp Member Posts: 1
    I own a Focus Wagon 2000 wit 9,568 miles on it.
    Notice that is has a lost of noise under body. Sounds like everything is loose and muting banging
    with poundind noises.
    Dealers of course states nothing wrong and not too worry. Tried to talk to Ford Headquaters etc. Waste of time
    Two recalls on this car thus far.
    Rear wheel seal and witers motor covers.
    Rather thing would not buy another Focus.
    Best thing about this car is the engine.
  • focus090focus090 Member Posts: 85
    if they doi have a few suggestions. i love this car, its my second one, i had an se sedan, now have a zx5.
    1. HID light option
    2. place other than the center console to hold small items
    3. a deeper, change holder. at quick turns or accleration, the change flys outto the right of stright out.
    4. a QUIETER blinker - ITS TOO LOUD. the 2000 blink tick tock was so smooth and soft. not this new one.
    5. a bit more chrome touchs on the exterior, maybe inlayed into the 5mph bumpers on the sides, back bumper - maybe only offered on zts? itd match the back strip on trunk, and maybe a bit in front as well. a few bucks'll make the car look classier

not too much to improve, its a great litle car, love it.
  • focuserrorfocuserror Member Posts: 34
    Please reimburse me for all of the rental car money spent while trying to get my 2001 Focus ZX3 fixed.

Please fix the transmission, non- retracting seat belts, stinking air conditioning, extreme squealing brakes, clunking steering noise when turning the steering wheel to the left or right, louder and louder crunching noises when going over bumps in the front suspension, broken fuel pump and the burning rotten egg smell in the cabin of this horrifying car.

Please make my car safe and reliable. (I'm serious!)

Please buy this car back - it's the right thing to do.
  • reallybobreallybob Member Posts: 29
    Hi Liz,

I hope Ford and Santa are good to you this Christmas...

Did you read my post to you in "Ford Focus" concerning the TSB on the "burning oil smell"?

I'm rather amazed that the dealership didn't give you loaner cars. :(

See ya,
    Bob
  • focuserrorfocuserror Member Posts: 34
    Thanks, I did read your posting about the TSB.
    As soon as I drove the car home from the dealer, I called Ford Customer "Service" about the burning oil smell because the dealer had only offered to spray some deodorant on the car. They told me about this specific TSB. However, after trips to three different dealers, they all say that they cannot reproduce the problem and refuse to fix my car.
    Liz:
    Seems that the Ford service folks have not been very fair with you... I'm sorry to hear that. Why should they have to "reproduce" an odor? It seems if there's a Technical Service Bulletin out on a car they should be more than willing to perform their duties, and make the repairs no questions asked. Here's a copy of the note I left you at "Ford Focus".
    I hope you get your troubles solved,
    Bob

"Customer says that there is a burning odor in the car, also sees soot under hood on the hood separator. SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER 14846 applies for burning odor from oil seepage at cylinder head exhaust manifold bolts. Performed above repair, OK now."
  • kenscottiikenscottii Member Posts: 1
    Happy Holidays.

Please redirect me if this is the wrong forum.

I have a 2002 Ford Focus SE (special package) with the Grabber Green, Mach 6 disc cd system, 16" alloy wheels, 2.0 DOHC, etc.

I LOVE THIS CAR... BUT....

I purchased it 7/6/02 and it has 10,607 miles as of 12/28/02. I commute 80 miles round trip/day.

I had problems with:
    1. Burning oil/gas smell in the cab.
    2. POOR MPG.
    3. Windows squeaked badly.
    4. Gas light came on too soon (over 1/4 tank).
    5. Most of all the drivers seat is VERY uncomfortable, especially in the thigh area.

The dealer has taken care of all of the problems (after making me wait to bring it in). The dealer told me the MPG would improve after 6,000 miles (lie).

They replaced the fuel pump in hope that it would improve the gas mileage (slightly). They also replaced some wiring to stop the gas light from coming on too soon.

The drivers seat just doesn't seem to "hold" me! That drives me crazy. I have to firmly plant the cheeks a certain way or I slip out of the seat during turns.

I absolutely LOVE THIS Car, except for what I've noted. It's fun to drive, turns on a dime, nice acceleration, great sound system, etc.

I would buy another Focus if they make the drivers seat more comfortable.
    I have a 2001 Focus sedan. Came with leather seats, installed by the Ford dealership. Added about $1300.00 to the cars price tag.

I noticed when I first bought the car that my lower back and hips were causing me a heck of a lot of pain, took aspirin and all that. After a couple weeks of this pain, and finally realizing that the pain might be caused by the seats of my car I bought a $15.00 seat cover with built in lumbar support. After it's installation I suffered no further pain.

Shame to cover $1300.00 seats with $15.00 seat covers, eh?

So, hey, Ford! Hows' about some lumbar support in the Focus seats? (Please!)

See ya!
    seats get lumbar support.
    thats been one of the biggest complaints by car critics, the seats. i love em, i'm a skinny rail so i fit in like a glove, and they hold my in tight turns, along with fast ones. but yeah, they do need lumbar support. vw's have the "dial-a-lumbar" comfort dial, like in the 2002 passat i have...just crank that sucker for more comfort or less if thats your liking. seats do come withe lumbar support, but not exactly finely tuned to each of our needs. but for 17 grand i can live without great lumbar support till my next small car.
  • jayguyjayguy Member Posts: 6
    I've got a 2002 SE Wagon and so far we really like it. I think Ford has a real winner here but there are a few improvements that would really make me eager to buy another:
    1.)60/40 seat BENCH to make the 60/40 backrest actually practical to use.
    2.)Tachometer offered on ALL models with Standard Xmission, not just the ZX versions.
    3.)If Ford offered their Diesel engine in the US I think they would be amazed to see how many units they would sell.
    a redline on the tach!!!!! what the hell happened to a redline on the tach???lol, that and make HID lights an option on higher end focus'
  • jsfocusjsfocus Member Posts: 16
    The mechanic at a BC ford dealership said he's never tried modifying the turn signal.
  • jsfocusjsfocus Member Posts: 16
    When I test drove the 2003 ZX5 hatchback, the sound from the turn signal caught me off guard. It was much toooo loud. So much so, that I dreaded having to use it. In comparison, my 2000 Ford Focus ZTS sedan turn signal has a nice sound and perfect volume.

The mechanic at my BC ford dealership said he's never tried modifying the turn signal to decrease the volume, and wouldn't really know how.

I wish FORD would offer its customers the choice of taking their vehicle in to have this loud and irritating tick-tock turn signal modified AT NO CHARGE. IT'S WAY TOOOOOOOO LOUD!!!!!
  • abonillaabonilla Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Ford Focus station wagon is presently sitting in the dealership waiting for an engine. The car stalled and I was told the head gasket has blown up at 38000 miles. I want Ford to take responsibility for the lack of engine for my Focus and provide for a loaner car or reimburse me with my rental car fees. I ordered the part middle of Nov but I was told by my dealer that the part may arrive middle of January 2004. I have contacted Ford to get a loaner car but they refused and found out from my dealer that Ford wanted the dealer to shoulder the cost of a rental car which they refused. I ended up with no car and having to pay rental car charges.
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    Maybe this refreshening for 2005 will help?

Lose the annoying blinker tone, I'M BEGGING YOU!

More interior lighting, especially in the back seat and cargo area (I have a ZX5).

A cruise control that stays within its settings...mine goes 3 to 5 miles under and over constantly.

Cruise Control LIGHTS on the steering wheel for night driving PLEASE!

HID lights on something besides the SVT....or ST or whatever its gonna be called in '05.

More storage between bucket seats where currently there is nothing....I use it to hold my Big Drink Cup (although everytime I have to brake suddenly, it spills into the passenger footwell! Argh!), since the cup holders are useless...I store my cell phone in one cupholder and my sun glasses in the other.

Thats all I can think of...... :-)

PS....I still love my 2002 Focus ZX5!
  • rapidrickrapidrick Member Posts: 70
    I'll second you on the backlights for the cruise control.

I'd guess you have a vacuum leak--my cruise is tight (ZTW).

The turn signal klaxon? It's grown on me... the only way to turn it off is get in the lever, which is not a good idea.
  • nedc2nedc2 Member Posts: 192
    To start with a tachometer should be standard on all models, not just the performance oriented models/packages. In addition, make an ST version of the ZXW wagon available. A fold flat front passenger seat would come in handy. And for those of us who are clumsy, and optional shiftable 5speed auto on the performance ST models, from personal experience I can tell you that it's really hard to shift a manual when you have one limb in a cast after some athletic misadventure;)
    And bring the C MAX over or build a version here while your at it.
  • carlrjrcarlrjr Member Posts: 35
    After acquiring my new (to me) '03 Focus SE sedan last week with 14000 miles, I am overall quite pleased with the car.
    Highway mileage is 31 MPG with automatic transmission, which I think is pretty good during a midwestern winter considering my driving habits.
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to notice the at first peculiar but now amusing to me turn signal "click" noise.
    I've also noticed the relatively lazy cruise control that slacks and then rushes to catch up over hills. I consider this acceptable, however, for a 2.0 litre engine on hilly roads.

My one wish for future Focii would be the return of the key lock to the passenger door.
  • hotx3hotx3 Member Posts: 71
        Hope you got your car back without too much grief.
        I waging a similar battle - the dealer tells me I need a new head (not just gasket), to the tune of $2100 to cure a stalling problem. The TSB mentions carbon deposits on the exhaust valves. The head was replaced once already under warranty.
        Supposedly a new head would be a design improvement over the original head to prevent a recurrence, but Ford won't help with the cost. (What was wrong with the head used on the Escort engines?)
         Do you know of a group of similarly suffering First Year Focus Owners, so we could put some collective pressure on Ford?
    First of all, what TSB are you talking about?
    I'm not aware of any TSB mentioning carbon deposits.
    I would demand from the dealer to disclose the TSB number and provide the problem description.
    The zetec is an old, proven design.
    You can read at the "other" forum how much of abuse this engine can take without developing too many problems.
    As with any other brand few engines could be defective from the factory.
    Yet in your case it sounds like the dealer is trying to screw you over.

I suggest you consult another dealer.
This discussion has been closed.