Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Well, the 30,000-mile service, minus the oil change, air filter change and tire rotation, is going to set me back a whole $262.72 when I go to pick it up in about an hour. Not too bad, I guess. Of course, I cringed as he went over stuff, waiting to hear the usual "Mr. Daffron, we found ...."

But nope, no unexpected problems! I can't wait to jump out of the Stratus and zoom-zoom in my like-new 34,500-mile Protege, resplendent with new plugs, new coolant, new brake fluid (oh Lord, I mentioned brakes, didn't I), new tranny fluid, etc.!

Hang on Zoomie old buddy, here comes Daddy!!!!

Meadeball
    You will NOT make fun of my little zoom-mobile, nor of what I call him. You may call me names all you want, but leave Zoomster out of it. He's sitting in some back lot surrounded by Jeep Grand Cherokees and Chrysler Town and Country's, and he's feeling rather forlorn right now. I plan to rush over there and rescue him soon, so we can once again make mincemeat of the Powhite Parkway Extension and zoom-zoom-zoom all the way home!!!

Call me "eat up with it" if you like! I admit it, I'm insanely in love with my Protege! And he's male! What does that mean? Let me get back to you on that!

Meade
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    HA, HA, HA, HA, HA!!!! thanks, i needed that!

Congrats on the service. I'm glad to hear that everything went fine and it came in less than expected. These Pro's really are great little cars. They have become so much more popular up here in Hondo (not a typo..)/Toyota land. Back in 2000 when we bought ours, there was nary a Protege on the road. Now they are everywhere, but still not as ubiquitous as the Hondo's and Toyota's.

I do think that a lot of people are turned off by the stiff suspensions and seem to equate it with not being "smooth". Again, a subjective interpretation. After all, not everyone likes to plow hard into the twisties and use those "germanic style" hand grips on the Pro's interior doors. :)
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    So what's going on with MAPP III? Just curious.

We could do a real live competitive comparison thing if we wanted to. Hmmm, this could be interesting.. :) Just kidding.

Nah, not selling my baby anytime soon. No way.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    'And someone said this car doesn't attract attention? I never got this much in the Pro... :)'

We never said it does not attract attention, but were not sure about the kind of attention it attracts...

Ok, I'm sorry Paul for all the Jetta comments.

Speaking of attention, everyone LOVES the PRO's interior so far, except of course, the x gf.

Dinu
    I am leaving now to go pick up Zoomster, my faithful steed, and tear up the highway (er, after I "tear out" a good portion of my checking account balance).

I plan to see you tomorrow, Good Lord willing and this group is still HERE tomorrow, LOL! Maybe we need a new Edmunds "Miscellaneous Ramblings" room -- call it "Romper Room for the Protege Nuts" or something!

Everyone, I don't know about you, but I had a very fun day here today. And from what I'm sensing by all of your posts, I think we all kept it civil (for the most part) and everyone had some fun. Let's just hope the Directorate doth concur ... :-)

Good night, and rest peacefully my friends, for tomorrow is another day!

Meade

P.S. Paul, I'll get back to you tomorrow on the MAPP plans.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Say HI! to Zoomer!

Dinu
    Good night and I concur fully abou the fun part. Thanks for the bombardier info. Yes, I had given up, but had forgot to post it. My boo, boo.

Dinu,

Who cares, that's why she's an X. :)
    Exactly. Who cares what the X thinks, right? My ex hated my Protege too. That's why I was the only one to ever drive it. You show no love, you gets no keys. :)
  • silentguiltsilentguilt Member Posts: 35
    Has anyone had to replace their floormats? And if so, what brand and how did they fit? If you couldn't tell - I need new mats :(
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    I always buy some good looking indoor-outdoor capeting (won't unravel), and cut to size using old mats as templates. The result is better-quality, and at lower price than standard auto mats.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Do the edges of your home-made mats fray?

I would be interested in this as an alternative, since it appears that I'm somewhat of a car slob.

:)

Thanks!

--Dale
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Yeah, but who wants grass green floor mats? Yuck!

Question: When did they stop making cut-loop pile carpet mats for cars and why? Hate these scruffy things they pass off as mats these days.

Worse, what's the *carpeting*, if you can call it that, in Protegés made of? I can't think of any material like it, not even material used in dog houses.

You know, there's a lot of cheap crap in cars these days. It may save the companies money but it sure presents a problem for the buyers.

Do we really like painted dashes? Why not foam padded vinyl like before -- even though we now have airbags?

And we can't even get carpeting for the trunk from third parties. Just those rubber SUV mat things. If I wanted a compact truck I would have bought one.

The last Honda Accord I bought (1998) the mats were $180! I said, 'NO thanks!, I won't pay that much for something I am going to wipe my feet on!' Sheeesh! The salesman said, "You have to take them or we won't sell you the car." I got up to leave. He called me back, I didn't buy the mats.

fowler3
    Well, I have to wash both cars when I get home in the awesome 75-degree, sunny weather this afternoon. Remember that lightning hit we took in our yard last August? Well, the incredibly tall pine tree that took the strike was dead as a doornail, our neighborhood woodpeckers were having a field day with it, and you couldn't go outside without a hard hat on for all of the bark, pine cones and branches that kept falling off it! Mowing the grass last fall was scary!

Anyway, we had that tree taken down on Sunday. The guys scaled the tree, topped it, and then dropped the rest of it. And after they left, I walked around the side of the house to find both Proteges covered with sawdust! Sappy, pine sawdust to be exact. So it's time for a bath!

Oh -- and just when we thought the '95 Crapalier was long-gone (we traded it for the Protege5 back in late January), we received a RECALL notice in the mail yesterday! On a 7-year-old car, LOL! And get this -- the ignition switch can suffer high over-voltages during extended cranking, melt, and cause a fire. And to put the icing on the cake, the repair kits will not be available until June! There's quality Gutwrench service for you!

Glad it's gone ...

Meade
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    Fresh off the press, as reported from protegetech.com, one of the oldest Protege information site on the Web:

http://www.protegetech.com/mazdaspeedprotege.htm

*** wipes off drool ***
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    did you see the tires they used, though?
    :)
    you mean the Bridgestone Potenza RE040 215/45ZR17? These ain't your daddy's RE92 15-inchers on the 99-00 ES and 01-02 LX, these are PURE PERFORMANCE unidirectional tires!!!!

of course they'll never work in winter weather, gonna need a set of winter tires!
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    Somehow I don't think winter driving was the key feature driving the design of that particular car...
    I CAN'T AFFORD ONE RIGHT NOW! SO SOMEBODY BETTER GO BUY ONE AND BRING IT TO THE NEXT MAPP, OK?

Meade the Capitalist
    chicagopro: I pull at edges of sample to make sure the threads don't fray (haven't had any problem with that).

fowler3: no, no, not grass-like indoor-outdoor carpeting. I'm talking about really plush looking indoor-outdoor stuff now available at many home improvement stores.

And I can often cut the mats slightly larger than the originals so as to cover and protect more floor area.
    Guys, if your Protege is anywhere NEAR 30,000 miles (48,000 km for our friends in Molson country), I HIGHLY recommend getting your 30,000-mile service -- NOW!

Man, I was saying, "Is this really MY CAR?!" as I chirped and jerked my way out of the dealership's lot yesterday afternoon. Ladies and gentlemen, it's like a brand-new car with some real oomph! The car must've been slowly losing horsepower over the last few months (yeah, as I burned layer upon layer of soot on those plugs with my little jaunts to 100 mph+). With new plugs, new fluids and everything else they did, my car is quiet, smooth as butter, and fast as lightning!

I'm really trying to be honest here -- there is a VAST improvement that is VERY VERY noticeable!!!

And yes, they also detailed my car, inside and out!

I feel like I've gotten a new car for $262.

You may remember that I chose to take the oil change, tire rotation and air filter change off the 30,000-mile service because I get those things done elsewhere or do them myself. Well, I had done everything but the air filter change by yesterday. On the way home with my gleaming "pocket rocket," I stopped by Advance Auto and picked up a Purolator air filter for the car. ($12.99.) I went home and replaced the old one (oops -- the original -- forgot to change it last year) and was surprised to find how easy replacing it was. Even though the MAF sensor and another pigtailed component are attached to the housing, the wires are oriented so you don't have to disconnect anything. Pop two clips, pull out the old one (man, you shoulda seen it -- I was embarrassed), pop in the new one, snap the clips back and you're done! My old Mazda truck required a nutdriver to change the air filter (good old Ford design) -- this I did with no tools in about 60 seconds!

No wonder I was smelling rotten eggs -- my air filter was so black and sooty, it's amazing my Zoomster could breathe at all!

By the way, here's a piece of interesting trivia for you:

Here's the breakdown for that $262 30,000-mile service:

Parts: $48.80
    Labor: $206.50 (3.5 hours @ $59/hour)
    "Shop Supplies": $5.00
    Tax: $2.42
    Total: $262.72

Oh well, I guess it was worth it to not spend a day in the driveway, covering myself with coolant, oil and tranny fluid -- and no busted knuckles! And a clean, shiny and vacuumed car too.

Zoom zoom zoom! Now more than ever!

Meade
    That's the turbo Protege eh? Not too bad I guess, and they even added a LSD to the mix. Pretty cool. I hate the rear spoiler though. And is there going to be an automatic available?
    that's really funny Paul, LOL... you think a 'halo car' like the Mazdaspeed Protege is gonna have a pedestrian automatic?? People will laugh if they even looked into adding it...
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Why would you want an automatic, in THIS car?!?!!?!?
    Forgot to mention: Cheap carpeting on big rolls at home improvement stores make good, inexpensive ($5-8), but elegant-looking replacements for trunk mats. Be sure to save old mat to use as template.
    Personally, I cannot drive a stick shift. I would need an automatic, and would not want to learn how because I drive in alot of traffic most of the time.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Wow...I hope that this car shuts some of the naysayers of the Protege up now. Looks mighty impressive IMO. No mention on cost though...not like I could afford it right now anyway. Anybody care to speculate on expected cost? :D
    I can't remember...was there a reason that you don't drive stick other than heavy traffic? I used to drive an automatic, but I've been driving stick ever since my g/f's '91 Jetta, and I won't go back now! Maybe when I'm 60 and don't feel the need for so much control.
    Nah, that's pretty much the only reason. Also, I find it difficult to use the radio, drive the car, and talk on the cell phone at the same time with a stick. :)

I have the Tiptronic thing in my car now, and a friend of mine always teases me when I use it sometimes. I will downshift when stopping, and the engine will shoot up to like 2000rpm or something. He says, "I can just smell the clutch burning now!". :) It always makes me laugh, and also makes me wanna stick with the automatic or Tiptronic trannies.
    I hear the Mazdaspeed 3 is at the NYIAS. Yall can definitely count on me to bring some good pics back of the car and post them somewhere (probably Yahoo).
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Looks really good. Sounds expensive, though. Its sounds basically like an MP3, stereo included, with a turbo and an LSD. What did the MP3 go for? Around 18,500 MSRP+dest.? No discounts off MSRP, either. This will have to be more, by a significant amount to cover the turbo and LSD, I would think. Getting close to $20k "out the door", I would guess.

Looks good, though. I'd just as soon like to see them drop the stereo. Should be interesting to see the performance numbers on this car.
    4 sensor, 3 channel ABS mean? Is that different than the ABS in the LX/ES Pro?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    but I can't wait to test drive one.
    It's the same as the ABS on the other Proteges. It means each wheel has a sensor, but the 2 back wheels are controlled by the same "channel" to the ABS computer.
    BTW, I really think you're missing out by not driving stick (Just IMO)...there is so much unused power in auto trannies! Plus, when it comes to driving, I'm a control freak...I love shifting!!
    I like shifting too, but I get along just fine with my "fake" stick shifter. :)

Read the Jetta forum for the answer to your "commercial" question.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    I hope its in the 20K range, will be really tempting when I upgrade my current car :-)

And I also hope they introduce it in some other colors - the rally blue would be ideal, and the yellow might interest me too!
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    An aside, have you guys seen the mazdausa demo car fo sale in CA, on ebay ... same color, a bazillion speakers, giant spoiler, 19 inch wheels, cool interior!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1815261070

(or search for item no 1815261070)

Lest I forget - 20 total speakers, 2 TVs and 1 VCR (what, only 1?) Changed springs, exhaust tip and a really nice looking body kit.

It appeared in numerous auto shows, and the statement is that over 50K is invested in it.

Current bid USD 16,100!

They claim it can be used as a daily driver (yeah, right), but has zero remaining trunk space!

Meade,

Great to hear that the service went perfect and your car feels like new. Kind of looking forward now to seeing the difference after the wife's 48,000km service. I got to drive it a lot yesterday and it's still a lot of fun. Tore a little Neon R/T to pieces on the highway yesterday. Do they still put the archaic 3 speed automatic transmission in those POS?

I am totally pumped looking at pics of the new Turbo Protege. I'm already trying to talk the wife into trading in her 2000 and buying this. I'll let you know on the success. I'm hoping it comes in at about 24 to 25,000 Canadian. Any more than that and it's getting a little steep for a Protege. Mind you, I paid that for the Civic SiR a few years back and this Pro reminds me of that car.

Don't think I want one in Orange though.....although it is my wife's favorite colour. Oh, is there no mercy....
    The wheels, the inside cage thing, and the speakers are overkill. The color is pukey. Otherwise, the car is pretty nice and very cheap for something like that. I wouldn't get it though.
    The Neon has a 4-speed unit now, but the car is still a POS. My ex-roomie had one, in the shop 13 times in a year for a different thing each time. Ugh.

Ok, so you get to pick the car and the color of your wife's car? Shoudln't she at least get to pick the color if you get the car you want? It's only fair. :)
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    I don't like the rubber tranny shifter handle on my 99ES(Auto).

Are there any aftermarket available that I can use?
    Yes, the Neon is indeed a POS. This little boy racer somehow managed to install a dual exhaust and huge oversize wing on the back of the car. I think he was a little shocked at the Pro's highway pick-up. He started tail-gating me at 130km on the 407. Tail-gaters and people who don't signal, aggravate me to no end. Anyway, I moved over lanes so he could pass and the little [non-permissible content removed] pulls over right behind me and continued to tail-gate me with a grin on his face. He quit doing that at about 170km when he was about 4 car lengths back and shaking back and forth all over the lane. Then i went back down to my 130 cruising and laughed at him as he passed by. He wouldn't even look at me...poor kid.
    Made me feel kind of like a teenager again. It was fun.

Mind you, made me wish i was in the WRX. My favorite thing to do to young kids in Hondo Si's and other cars who think they can actually race the WRX is to purposely keep the revs down below 3,2000rpm or so, by jumping into a higher gear than necessary. Like being in 5th gear at 70km or so. At this level the turbo is just starting to spool, but is not really active yet. I like to keep it close and stay maybe a car length, or half car length behind. Then, suddenly, I drop the REX down into 3rd or 4th gear, the Turbo goes nuts and shoots the car forward like a rocket (bat) out of hell. The dumbfounded look on many a Hondo driver's face is priceless as they watch kind of helplessly. This is rather easy to do because the WRX is horrible off the line and is a real tractor until the turbo starts spooling.

Maybe the new Pro will be a little similiar?? :)

P.S.- Yes, I guess i'll have to grin and bear it if the wife decides she wants orange. She loves the Protege and really liked the SiR, so it shouldn't take much to convince her about the car though.
    I don't know if there are any available for the auto, but Mazda has ton's of them for the 5spd.
    Please stop talking about the WRX...you're making me drool... :)
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    I'd imagine the Mazdaspeed 3 will have some lag, of course. Plus, the compression ratio will probably be reduced to make it safer to put under boost. If so, power will be down with respect to the NA 2.0 until the turbo spools up. On the other hand, at 170 hp, boost levels are probably fairly moderate, relatively speaking, so I'm guessing it won't be too bad. Not as big a thrust, though, as say the WRX - 227 hp from a 2.0 flat 4. Then again, it is really all relative. The trubo thrill sometimes has more to do with that thrust forward as the turbo spools up than with any absolute acceleration numbers. Of course, the WRX has both. We shall see for the Mazdaspeed 3.

Speaking of the WRX, yes, please stop bringing it up. ;-) That's the car I was aiming to buy, but my finances came up short. Next time. For now, at least I'm saving some fuel and pollution, and probably some points on my drivers license too! :-)
    Yes, I've been lucky to date. Haven't had a speeding ticket since i was 21. Knock on wood....I try and pick my spots to speed. I don't do it all the time. :)

Blame my ramblings on the Tylenol 3's and codeine effect. I ripped up the ligaments in my left ankle playing hockey yesterday. It's a grade 2 sprain. I'm all doped up....more than usual even.... Hey, did someone say DacQuiri. The spelling was for Meade. :)
    and it's just not fun having to use the clutch with a sprained ankle. I think i will actually be driving my wife's Protege until this heals because the clutch engagement is much lighter and smoother than in the WRX. Oddly, she prefers driving the Protege, so i guess I got me some convincing ta do......
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    From what I hear it won't have much lag. The idea is that by setting up the turbo properly, you can have a very streetable car. If it doesn't have the same or better low end as the current ES, they won't sell it. Just misc rambling that I heard.
    Why don't you just let the wife drive the WRX and you drive the Protege then? That's another reason why I like automatic, because if I would hurt my left foot I could still be able to drive.