Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    Wow, i didn't read that part.....
    To charge you a $200.00 deductible on each visit is insane and corrupt when you are already forking out $1,240.00 upfront. That's unbelievable and I've never heard of that in my life...... Yes, you should get your refund if you are entitled and then go to another dealer to negotiate an extended warranty if you want one.

Good Luck and don't be afraid to threaten court action if they won't let you back out.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    It's fully transferable if you sell the car, so if I decide to sell my Protege when it's four years old with 70,000 miles on it, I can offer the buyer a one year, 30,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty! There's something not a lot of private sellers can offer!

Meade
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Not meaning to pry, but now you've got me curious...where's the funny area you grew up in?

--Dale
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
  • Options
    dotkobedotkobe Member Posts: 5
    definitely acquired tastes...
    how about the sweet aroma of curry
  • Options
    fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    One of the reasons that most economy cars are going to rear axles is because they are just that...Economy cars. I mean they are going to sell just as many Corollas with the rear axle as they are if they made an all out MP3ish Corolla. That's why the Civic no longer has double wishbones, the Sentra has an axle, and why the next Protege may have more Focus in it. We debate the EX vs. SE all day but a majority of people don't even care about the EX, most Civics sold are DX's and LX's which I would NEVER buy.

So really the debate over which is better is moot because we (mean us the debaters) are a niche market. Our cars the Civic and Protege really are so close that what we probably ought to be discussing is who actually can DRIVE their cars. And who will actually TRY to push their cars to the limits that we argue about so much in here. I mean I'll run my car to redline and leave it there on the highway but popping the clutch from standing start... I'd rather not.

The Austin Mini won races against cars with more than twice its power back in it's day with superior handling but it was racing some cars that were lucky to have disc brakes. Since no one here has an MP3 how many think there is enough difference in actual handling for it to matter between an EX and a SE 2.0 in most driving situations.

Not enough curves on most 4 lane roads, so the handling quotient is moot and pretty equal in the power dept so all depend on who's willing to push that little bit extra. That's why the "green car" kept up with a Maxima SE. She wasn't willing.

80 to 100 mph is nothing. I mean the speed limit is 70. If you are in a car that makes you think that 100 mph is fast, you need another car. Try 1986 RX7 base stripped 147 mph, 1991 MR2 Turbo 145, 1992 300zx Twin Turbo 152 mph. All cars I've owned on an empty stretch of highway. I cruised through Fla yesterday at 90+ with a trail of cars behind me including SUV's. 100 is passe. Got 30mpg with the A/C on.

Vocus...Paintwork kills value. That's why my "silver car" was $4500 and her "black car" was only $11,000. Carmax gave you what they thought your car was worth. Since the prices are no haggle it serves no purpose to lowball someone and kill a deal that may be working on the floor. The buyers only place a figure on your trade, they have nothing to do with the sales floor.
    And what that VW dealer did to you on your Jetta should never be mentioned. There are laws in some states against that.

170hp is very little power from a 2 liter. I never had a problem with the boost on my MR2. It was a 2 liter 200 hp engine. Bulletproof til over 100K when I sold it for my Vigor. WRX is a 2 liter 225hp, the Lancer's rumored to have 260hp from it's 2.0, SVT 170hp normally aspirated 2.0., next years SI is rumored to have 200hp 2.0 from the Type-S RSX.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    >>>80 to 100 mph is nothing. I mean the speed limit is 70. If you are in a car that makes you think that 100 mph is fast, you need another car.<<<
    exactly my point....u need a touring car....one that does not have double wishbones...rear axle is fine....one with a big v-6, inline 6 or V-8..

up here in NJ, speed limit is 65mph.."strictly enforced"...and the pro is more than enough for the competition to pass at highway speed(65-70mph)
  • Options
    number42number42 Member Posts: 67
    Well I grew up in several areas of NYC. One in particular, had the reputation of having students from all over the world. In areas with korean, Chinese and Indian supermarkets, you learn about many things, usually by accident. Life is too short to eat bad food. too short to not own a PRO also (To keep this on topic)
  • Options
    number42number42 Member Posts: 67
    Curry?
    Which curry? There's Indian curry (which is really a plural, as there are many), Thai curries, Malaysian curries, even japanese curries.

They just get nasty when they are around too long (too long is 2 weeks or more).

just don't get tumeric on the upholstery.
  • Options
    Well, given today's date, it's topical.....:)
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    What do you mean "what the VW dealer did to me on my Jetta should not be mentioned"? I don't get it. They gave me a better trade-in value for my older car, and the price did not inflate any. I checked all the paperwork out from top to bottom.

And the thing is, Carmax will give one $5000 for their car, take it in and put new tires on it and detail it some, and turn around and price it for $7500. That's too high, I think. Their one-pricing sucks, because you can more than likely go somewhere else and get a better value in buying a car. Their used car prices run very high, but their new car prices aren't that bad actually.

And you are right, 100 is nothing on the road. It in in an economy car though, like the Protege/Civic/Corolla. My Protege did not feel substantial at 100mph to me (engine was buzzy, and it felt a little light). On the other hand, my VW will do 120mph all day and it feels like a vault. But VWs are German made and also made to run the Autobahn at 120+mph too. That's the difference, I think.
  • Options
    My neighborhood here in Chicago was VERY diverse while I was growing up; less so now due to influx of goddanged yuppies...um, very expensive to park my PROTEGE around here.

I lived in NYC for a year (Upper West Side), and get back there often to visit friends. I LOVE New York. Um, but I wouldn't want to have to drive the PROTEGE around Manhattan :)
  • Options
    seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    Here's a link (it's to a Focus site, so don't freak out) but it talks about upcoming Mazda engine developement for Mazda and Ford.

http://www.teamfocaljet.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=58&t=000043

Thought you guys would like to know. Sounds interesting.

• Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    195 variants just for 4 cylinders? Guess the big Ford $$$ does help after all ;)
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    The issue is not why automakers put beam axles in cars. I already know why they do and if anything it strengthens my point of the Protege having a nice suspension. If you remember, you said that pretty much any car in the Protege's class would handle the same if it had a "stiffer suspension and 16" wheels" as if there is nothing special about the Protege's suspension.

So, do you agree with me that bigger wheels and stiffer calibration (something that GM likes to do in order to cure a crappy suspension) does not necessarily make a well thought out suspension?
  • Options
    fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    Tops out at 155 been 130 no hassles.

Jetta IS an economy car with a twist axle rear suspension. Not my cup of tea. They get down the highway great though. Base Jetta at 115 hp and not economy car??? Ganja man.

Yup they gave you more in trade and they are getting it back every month, not to mention a balloon payment in the end. That's where you took it. I was lurking through the period when you first got your Jetta. There is no one that can say you got the better end of that deal.

Blew through NJ at 80 on the way to Boston a couple years ago. There is no speed limit where there are no cops. Didn't see any.
  • Options
    Yes, you are right. Camber, weight distribution, tires, etc. all contribute to the handling of a vehicle. I think FXASHUN knows full well that it is more complicated than just tires and a stiffer spring suspension ratio.
  • Options
    glad you liked the link. Thought it was full of some interesting info. Sure seemed like a lot of variants.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, appreciate any new info. I am admittedly intrigued.

However, reading through this info makes me a little worried. There are a lot of references to cutting costs. Cutting corners and cutting costs is a Ford dictum and total corporate culture. It's a large part of the reason they make garbage automobiles. I have no issue with costs being reduced because of technological advancements provided the engines are smoother, more efficient and certainly more durable and reliable. The "corporate" tones of this article just scare me a little and I read tons of stuff like this as part of my everyday job. I always look for the extended "hidden" meanings.

I guess I'm just extremely pessimistic about the partnership or controlling interest of Ford. Ultimately, Ford owns the purse strings and sets the budgets. I just hope that in the long run Mazda is not sacrificing quality and reliability in the name of cost.

I know I'm in a bit of a "crusty" mood today....maybe that's it...
  • Options
    also this is a press release, so it's going to have marketing BS included. To me I see the advantages of economy of scale. There could be some real positives involved. I like the fact that Cosworth is involved. They've always been one of the premier engine designers/tuners out there.
  • Options
    The next Protege, sharing the next Focus/Volvo platform and engines, could offer either a similar to current package for relatively less money. Or it could offer more features, quality for about the same price or a little more. As long as the Protege/323 maintains it's individuality and isn't a Ford or Volvo with a mazda badge slapped on it, I can see some real benefits to this.
  • Options
    yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    fowler3, afternoon entertainment LOL :o); $495 for car washes?! I'd pay a dealer to not wash it, for sure. Anxious buyers..roger that.

browntrout1 Is a blow off valve the same as a pop off valve (manifold pressure limiter)?

gandalf17 Mazda/Ford purse strings. I don't like it. I feel your pain.
  • Options
    Yes, economy of scale can be a good thing. It really depends on what the prime interest ends up being. Making excellent and reliable engines (see Honda, BMW) or making a higher quantity of engines, quicker, cheaper and cutting corners that impact long-term reliability along the way. I know which of these two models Ford will choose. I just hope Mazda has enough clout not to go the "Ford" route.

Yes, I like the Cosworth involvement, but keep in mind that using the name alone is part marketing BS in and of itself. How much true Cosworth design/involvement truly is there? We'll never really know. I do know that we won't get patented F1 technology as the marketing people threw at you in that press release. Another bad example of marketing BS is the Daewoo Leganza advertising that it was "inspired" by Italdesign on the exterior and Porsche and Ferrari did all the "inspired" tuning of mechanicals. Gimme a break....oh yah, and the MPV has the soul of a sports car...:)

Sorry, told ya i was crusty today.
  • Options
    you never know. Could be a lot of Ford of Europe input. If that's the case, might even be some improvements. But I do understand your fear. I'm sure you bolt upright at night in a cold sweat thinking of Taurus's with Mazda logos sliding off curves with the "Zoom-Zoom" music playing in the background ;-)
  • Options
    I really could care less for most of Ford of USA's offerings. Ford has a lot more competitive offerings in Europe. Hopefully with some of the shakeups ford has had, these are the guys now in charge.

In best Clinton voice "I feel your pain"
  • Options
    I see where you are going with the advantages of cost reduction. Yes, perhaps they could throw more features in the car etc., etc., etc....

Unfortunately, this is not an ideal world...and since I'm a pessimist by nature, I am far more inclined to believe Ford would just keep the current benchmark prices and reap more profits as the direct result of any lowered cost.

My biggest worry is that the entire Mazda line-up will essentially become a "re-badged" Ford product. Why? Because in the long run, this would greatly cut production costs. To date, this has not happened to the Protege, Miata or Millenia. One only needs to look at the 626, Tribute and Mazda pick-up's to see what true Ford involvement has done to each of those vehicles. They are all essentially Ford "re-badge's" of a comparable Ford product and are built Ford Tough, where Quality is job number one. They are also the least reliable of all of the Mazda line-up and pretty much stand for (F)irst (O)n (R)ecall (D)ay.

Mazda is often placed behind Toyota and Honda in reliability of Japanese manufacturers and occasionally, even behind Nissan. The reason? All of the surveys and data include the Ford manufactured automobiles. I'd be willing to bet ya a pretty penny that if you looked only at the reliability of the Japanese, Mazda manufactured vehicles, the reliability is at least equal to Toyota and Honda. This is certainly the case on the Protege which has surpassed the reliability of the Civic and is at least equal to the Corolla.

Anyway, i guess what I'm trying to say is that Ford better not screw up a darn good thing. I tend to think they'll find a way though. They always do....
  • Options
    April Fool's on us here in Chicago, too..started snowing about an hour ago.

And where is my coat?

Out in the PROTEGE :)
  • Options
    I agree with you on somethings. I do hope that Mazda does not become another Mercury. I'd still like the 323 to keep it's individuality.

Glad my little image gave you a laugh! Should be firestones though. Made myself laugh when I thought of it.

I know your not attacking me. Glad the mood is a little better in here since the last time I posted.
  • Options
    I changed it to Firestone. Thanks for pointing that out.

By the way, Ford/Cosworth is pretty decent in Europe. Although, there aren't a great deal of affordable and decent quality vehicles in Europe to begin with anyway. Please don't say Puegot or Renault to me....ugggghhhhhh. The next step up are the VW's, BMW's, Saab's etc and they are expensive. My wife's Dad did a lot of rallying for Ford and used to work for them a few years back on the rally circuit as a director before taking over a management position at Silverstone.

By the way, for what it's worth, I'm not entirely sure why you were attacked like that the last time you posted in here. I didn't think you said anything wrong. After all, the Protege is not perfect. No car is........well, except maybe the BMW M5 and the EVOL VII. :)
  • Options
    yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    Before my '01 ES I had a '96 Furd Contour, 2.5L Duratec. Sweetest V engine I ever owned. No engine problems in 106K miles. Anyway Cosworth pressure casting technology was used in the production of the aluminum blocks.

seminole_kev you may be hearing about "naming" your feel the pain remark. I got called on the carpet for it shortly after 911.
  • Options
    that you didn't leave your window's down in the Protege while it was snowing. :) Even water in frozen form is not good for the interior. ha, ha, ha....at least there's no soap in snow. :)
  • Options
    Evo VII. Hopefully it will really make it here. Maybe force Subaru to bring on the STi. (Secretly I hope these sell great also to bring over the Cosworth Focus when it comes out). Wouldn't mind having those three in the garage!
  • Options
    why would you get pulled on the carpet for the naming of ole cigar smokin' Billy and his "I can feel your pain"? strange.....

Was the 2.5L in your Contour the 6 cylinder? If it was the 4cyl. that engine was notoriously unrefined, under powered and problematic in the Contour's. If it was the 6cyl. than that was apparently a very good engine, although i never drove one and can't really comment. I did however drive the 4cyl. many moons ago.
  • Options
    brechbielbrechbiel Member Posts: 13
    I recently helped my 20-year-old daughter shop for her first car while she was home on Spring break. She bought a demo 2002 Silver Protégé LX Friday March 29th before the $1500 rebate ended. Her car had 5300 miles on it and was sold with the full 36 month/50K warranty. Options include auto, alloy/sunroof promo pack, mats, sunroof deflector, and wheel locks. According to the Mazda online inventory, there were four other Silver Protégé LX in stock like this in the Atlanta area, plus one with a spoiler and another with the 6-CD changer. Between ready availability, the rebate, and dealer eagerness to meet end-of-month quota, we got this great car for $14,599 drive off (includes 7% tax, $41 tag fee, $299 doc fee, dealer keeps rebate). This is about $14,700 net before rebate -- well below invoice. I negotiated with two Mazda dealers. Both were pleasant to work with. (The new car was available at $14,999 drive-off from either dealer.)

We began by shopping for a Honda Certified 1998-2000 Civic EX with less than 45k miles. We soon discovered that new cars weren't much more expensive, so we drove the 2002 Protégé LX, 2002 Civic EX and 2003 Corolla S (did not find the LE model). We didn't like the looks of the Sentra or Focus (which has questionable reliability.) IMO, Hyundai still needs another 2-4 years in the market, then will be worth serious consideration.

We drove the Civic EX rather than the less expenseive LX because of its more powerful motor, ABS and sunroof. Like the Civic LX, the stock EX has steel wheels and plastic hubcaps. The drive-off price on the Civic EX was about $2500 more than the Protégé (w/ rebate) even if sold at invoice with no doc fee or dealer add-ons. If the Civic EX had alloy wheels and were only $1500 more, we might have bought it -- mainly because it has ABS and a better collision rating. It seems the best made car in this class, and feels a tad more refined and substantial than the Protégé. We didn't think it drove or handled as well as the Protégé, nor were the seats as comfortable. In Atlanta, Civics are everywhere. Understandably, my daughter wanted something different, but comparable in quality. Also, Civics are more likely to be stolen than other small cars. FYI, the Honda dealer had listed an overpriced pin stripe, mud flap and wax job package, plus was trying to charge extra for the Auto transmission which is clearly included in the $18,250 MSRP. When I pointed that out, he quickly agreed it was a mistake. (All the other EXs I saw on the lot had this "mistake", too!)

Before seeing the 2003 Corolla, we read a glowing review saying the quality standard is similar to the first generation Lexus. So, we were expecting a very well-made car. Instead, the US-built Corollas we saw had obvious defects including misaligned panels, paint globs on edges, crudely applied wheel-well damping material, etc.. The model S "aero" parts were very flimsy. The molding strip below the doors was nearly ½" too long and was easy to pull away from the body. The front passenger wheel well intrudes into the right foot area. The car is noisy and shifts abruptly. The paint choices are bland, and as far as I know, no metallic paint is offered. Here in Atlanta, we have to deal with the infamous SE Toyota distributor (The rest of the US is distributed by Toyota). This means rip-offs like almost $600 for an "advertising fee" and a $619 pin stripe and wax job! Even without these insults, the price was way too high for the car offered. We did like the look of the S model Corolla, but not the details. The salesman did not mention the $1000 customer rebate.

The 2002 Protégé LX handles well, is reasonably quiet for its class, and has a responsive motor with good torque. The metallic paint is attractive. The auto tranny is smooth and doesn't change gears excessively. My daughter is very pleased, and so am I.

Let me put the value of this car in perspective. Back in 1991, I almost bought a Protégé, but wound up getting an Infiniti G20 w/ manual. (The G20 served me well for 10 years!) The drive-out price for a loaded 1991 Protégé was around $13,500. It didn't have the safety, capability, features and refinement of the 2002 model. It wasn't as well made as today's Protégé. For its class, it was probably the best value then, as it is today.

We would have preferred the Protégé LX with the ABS/side airbag package, but couldn't find a Silver one with Auto. In fact, for the entire Atlanta area, I only saw one Protégé with ABS -- a black ES with manual tranny.

My daughter left the car at home until she gets back from school at the end of May. (No where to put it at school for now, plus she had a return plane ticket.) This means I get to drive it some over the next two months. This will be fun! Peace.
  • Options
    protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    Sounds like you really did your research! Glad you came to the decision you did. I don't think you or your daughter will be disappointed. It is really a great little car, and I know I have no regret in not taking the supposedly "safe" route of buying a Civic or Corolla. I also live in the Atlanta area, but get the car north of here in the mountains, find your favorite road with some sweeping curves and let the fun begin!
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    See the Edmunds.com advice at: http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fiw/articles/47681/article.html

Then look for every possible loophole in the small print. IT IS VERY DIFFICULT TO PRE-JUDGE WHETHER THE BACKING BEHIND YOUR CONTRACT WILL ACTUALLY BE THERE WHEN YOU NEED IT. Most consumer groups strongly recommend against extended warranties (unless a single major loss might put you into dire financial stress).

• Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    was said, so I have nothing to say. Well almost.

Congrats to our new PRO owners! Like you, I shopped first for the usual suspect (Civic), and after being quoted absurd prices and shown the way Honda treats their customers as I walked in the showroom (wonder what would happen if I has a warranty claim), I passed by a Mazda dealer just for the sake of it, even though I didn't want to. Drove a black ES with GT package and was hooked on it. And went to drive it again. And again.

Now I sit and pitty those that never drove one. I feel you were ripped-off of FUN, LOOKS and RELIABILITY if starting 2001, you didn't buy a PRO. Of course this isn't to say other cars are bad, but they certainly don't have the ZOOMness of the PRO.

Dinu
  • Options
    Didn't get an extended warranty now. Will most likely get it in 2 years or when the 80.000kms are up, as I have an auto tranny, plus my mom is one of those people for whom "Piece of Mind" was created :)

BTW, I have 26.400kms so far since July 15ish 2001.

Dinu
  • Options
    That Mazda 6 looks really good. I want one! Currently the Accord is my fav. family car, but I think the 6 just became it now.

Dinu
  • Options
    CD will be mailed tomorow or Wednesday morning 100% sure.

Dinu
  • Options
    ...ha...ha...ha...:)

Actually, I'm pretty good about making sure the windows are up when I park at work...kind of a high-crime area.
  • Options
    are we supposed to get some of that flakey stuff soon? Don't wanna drive with those tires again in snow.

Dinu
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I take 3 days off and you folks killed me.

Seminole_kev: It was Lemko talking about his girlfriend's Impala. All sorts of comments then flew about what she was like...nuff said.
  • Options
    zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    fowler: You can get a Civic EX for $15,100 according to www.carsdirect.com. A EX sedan is $15,500. So I don't know what Honda dealer you were shopping at. Maybe they were using Canadian dollars.

Civics are everywhere, except for the SI of course :) But there is a reason for that. The Protege is a good value like fxashun said for those who don't relish in driving high speeds or reving the motor just for fun. Depreciation is only an issue if you don't plan on keeping the car for long. With my SI I get the best of both worlds. It has an awesome no-nonsense suspension, Honda smoothness in the engine and transmission, reliability, AND resale value all balled into one car.

vocus: I hope you aren't sayingthat you got a good deal with a straight face. Balloon payments are NEVER a good choice. We did the math one time and I think it ended up that you would be paying more than $30,000 for that Jetta. And that's not even considering all of the extra depreciation, repairs, and maintenance that will result from all of the miles you put on the car. Carmax may have only offered you $9500 but they also don't participate in ballon contracts. Carmax is very fair when it comes to used cars and that's why alot of dealers send their customers to us. And the Protege isn't exactly a hot commodity to Carmax. They can buy them all day long at auctions.

BTW: We had our SI up to 120 on the way back from Florida and it was locked on. Felt just like it did at 80 except, like I've said before, the trees were just going by faster.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    I stated clearly which dealer I talked to. And as far as I know there is no Greensboro in Canada. Neither would I buy a Pro using CarsDirect after test driving one at a local dealership and going there for service.

Of course CarMax prices are higher, you should see the building they put up here, it's big enough to house the Good Year blimp. When it was under construction I thought it was going to be an annex to the Civic Center. They have to pay for it somehow. Their parking lot is twice the size of the new car dealers on the boulevard.

I've enjoyed your commentary...now, let's get back to talking about Protegés. Glad you are happy with your purchases, we are, too.

fowler3
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    As I understand Federal law, you have 72 hours to cancel a contract if you decide you don't want it. If it has been worked into your loan that may cause some problems...big problems.

fowler3
  • Options
    "It was Lemko talking about his girlfriend's Impala. All sorts of comments then flew about what she was like...nuff said." I think I have a pretty good idea who the gf might be :)

ZZ: 120mph? That's pretty fast. Floored at 120 ALL the way? I hope you really take care of that engine. Oh, I forgot, you don't care since you'll unload it when it gives you one bit of trouble. Reason #1 not to buy pilaf: it's been used and abused BIG time.

Dinu
  • Options
    While many appraise or think boy-racer cars like the SI,Talons, Eclipses, etc are HOT and they should pay thousands more for a used one, I think quite the opposite.

In my eyes, their value is lower than a regular EX/Dx Civic (to use this example), since it was raced, RPMed to the max and driven with little or no care.

What do the rest think?

Do you think an SI is a better overall car than an EX or DX from a reliability pt of view?

Dinu