Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    How do you know that the V6 filter will fit?

The reason I'm interested in new oil/diff filter is that on my last oil change, after 3000 miles, the oil was pretty black and dirty.

Here's another can of worms...
    Has anybody switched to synthetic in winter, but back to conventional (dino) in the summer? Results?
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    found this little tidbit on protegeclub's FAQ, and also confirmed by the parts dept guy when I asked him. I said, "will the v6 filter fit the Protege?", he said, "yeah."

yeah, that's it...
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Yeah, there are lawn mower and motorcycle filters that are bigger.
    all Mazda V6 engines use the same filter...
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try it next time. Seeing as how I put about 2500 miles on a month, that will be any day now.
    So time ago, someone mentioned that the Mazda engineers were kind enough to put handy-dandy fill and drain plugs on the manual tranny. I found the drain plug while changing the oil, but where's the fill? Does it look just like the drain? This is the 2.0 in an 02. Thanks. I'm probably just going blind in my old age.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    sucks what???
    what did you have in mind? ;)
    The fill plug looks the same as the drain and it is directly above the drain.
    How the heck are you supposed to be able to reach down there to put the tranny fluid in?

BTW, since I'm on a knowledge kick right now, anybody know how much tranny fluid it takes for the 2.0 L 5-speed manual?
    Use a funnel with a plasic tube attached to it and fill it from under the hood. I believe the tranny holds 2.8 pts.
    I assume you meant qts... :P
    Thanks for the info.

For Canucks: 2.8 quarts=2.649788 Litres
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Believe it or not, they are good quality and can be had for cheap at Target.
    Actually, I think it is pints. The little tubes that the fluid comes in are pints and the tranny holds almost 3 full tubes.
    Well then...umm..ok.
    2.8 pint [US, liquid] = 1.324894 liter
    who makes Car and Driver filters?
  • frankpcbfrankpcb Member Posts: 27
    The protege 2.0 litre engine has the tiniest oil filter I have ever seen, my 1.6 litre nissan's oil filter is about 3 times larger, maybe why that is why with 171,000 miles, it still does not burn a drop of oil. Has anyone used the 626 v6 oil filter on the protege? Does it fit ok? I change my own oil, is it difficult to change the protege's, (just bought mine and it has just 500 miles)?
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    Once you go to synthetic you cannot go back to conventional dino oil, as far as I know
    The Protege's oil filter is easy if you have a lift. It's kinda a pain in the butt though if you have to do it on jack stands in your driveway.

sfrat-You can change back and forth between syn and dino and I don't see how there could be a problem.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Tired of changing my oil because the puny Protege filter is clogged. I know the synthetic oil isn't even close to being worn, but I can't change just the oil filter without draining the oil first.

Today, you can switch between the two or even make your own blend (say, use 1 bottle of synthetic and two bottles of regular...just try to match the viscosity ratings), or buy a pre-mixed blend.
    Wrong.

I ran 15000 miles on Castrol and the AMSOIL synthetic.
    Then switched back to Dino the last oil change.
    No problems observed.
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    Actually, I went and did a web search, (not that I don't trust you all, but was just curious). I was completely wrong. So I'm sorry for putting out bad info. I did find where it said that putting sythentic into a high mileage car can be problematic. I also found a "Ask the Mechanic" type place who asked Protege Fan's exact question. The guys response was "Why?" He claimed that the load on the engine because of the summer heat and the AC system is harder on the engine than winter driving, so it makes sense to use it all the time, not just during the winter.
    I just got in and read all the posts concerning the switch b/n dino and synth. Thanks for straightening everything out all!
    Car and Driver filters are made by Champion Labs.
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    I'm no expert, but I would think changing to a filter larger than required would somehow change the hydraulics of the lubrication system. Not to mention probably adversely affecting warranty coverage as well.
    Hmm. I wonder if a bigger filter would create more back pressure on the oil pump. You may have a point there. I bet the effect is really quite small, but if something went wrong, someone might complain.
    so you're saying that using an aftermarket filter like Purolator or Fram would void my warranty, because their sizes are all different? LMAO.

Man if that's the case, Jiffy Lube would be sued left and right for 'voiding' people's warranties, LMAO.
    No, not just aftermarket. I'm talking about using the filter for the V6. It was designed specifically for a different engine, as opposed to an after market filter designed specifically for that engine.
    perhaps our in house jiffy lube expert newcar can disspell all these confusions about filters. Todd where are you? :D
  • djcdjcdjcdjc Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to decide between the two. In its favor, Consumer Reports predicts the Sentra will have a higher resell value. But the Protege seems to have power windows etc. for the same price as the Sentra GXE Any thoughts?
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    I'm not a Pro owner, but I've driven both the Pro and Sentra. I'd take the Pro 8 days a week over the Sentra. The only thing I could think that might swing you the other way is if the Protege's ride is too stiff for you. The Sentra, for some reason, feels very cramped compared to the rest of its class.

As far as resale value, I bet they'll be almost identical down the road.

Of course these are my opinions, buy what you want and do what is going to make you happy. Good luck.
    How long down the road do you plan to sell?
    You can use different filters than what is specified for your car. For example, GM has two different size filters that are interchangable. The reason for the size difference for some applications is clearance. If the clearance is OK, you can use the bigger filter is most cases. It's the inside of the filter that can make things tricky though. The bypass and anti-drainback valves may be different. Just because the filter threads on OK, doesn't mean that it will work OK. I am not sure about using the V6 Mazda fitler instead of the regular one. I guess you could shoot MazdaUSA an e-mail and ask them.
    when I put on the v6 filter!

2 more hours and I'm outta here!!!

long weekend, woohoo!
    lifted up the car up onto jackstands, and found all the key items easy enough, but then I hit a snag. The frigging drain plug is bolted dead tight and I couldn't get it off!!!! Looks like the dealer airwrenched that SOB in good. #*^%(&$*(#&!(!FF(*$&(*!!!!!

I'll try again with help from someone that has air tools to untighten that POS >:(
    are you sure you are going the right direction? I've never seen one I couldn't get off.

Lefty Loosey - Righty Tighty
    LMAO!!!!!!

I hope you get that drain plug off alright Hank. My Uncle can undo mine easily when he does my Pro. Not sure why they would have used an air tool for the drain plug. :(
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    In lieu of a long-handled wrench, one thing you can try is to put a length of pipe (slightly larger than diameter of your wrench handle) on wrench to give more leverage.
    I finally got the tether anchor installed(MAZDA ISO kit) in my car. The dealer only installed one in the center of the rear deck. Well that is ok since i place my child seat only in the center.

The problem is: my '99 ES does not have the 2 'U' hooks at the bottom of the seat.

How do I use the ISO child seat?

Weren't Mazda supposed to provide all the components of the ISO Anchor system?
    If you don't have a pipe, you can link two wrenches together and get the same leverage effect. It's kinda hard to explain in words, but you can join two open ended wrenches together and that plug will come right out.
    Click on

http://www.wrightexperience.com/edu/engine/index.htm

then click on "Vertical Four #20" and you can hear the sound of something that changed the world forever, starting in 1903!

• yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    Very cool. Thank you.
    Please note that engine in original 1903 Wright airplane was a horizontal design, not the vertical 4 whose sounds are heard on the site I recommended. Didn't mean to mislead.
  • number42number42 Member Posts: 67
    well, actually i had the dealer do it.... the dealer told me that he would not put in any oil but their own, for liability reasons. is this common?

(I had 4 qts of mobil1 10w30 all ready for it too)....
    That is such a TOTAL CROCK!! I wouldn't believe anything that dealer ever has to say from now on. I know that's not any help, but it made me see red.

Changing your own oil is so easy I strongly encourage it (save the oil and filter receipts so you have proof the work was done by you). Get set of Rhino Ramps at Wal-Mart. Save lots of money, and you'll have the satisfaction that the oil change has actually been done, and done correctly!
  • number42number42 Member Posts: 67
    well the way he put it: if something goes wrong with the mazda oil, its totally on mazda. If it happens with mobil 1, then there is a whole mess with who pays what.

Problem I have is that I live in an apt. and the garage I house my pro in decidedly not maintenance friendly. (no maintanence or even washing allowed), and no, thats not uncommon in my neck o' the woods (NYC).
    I really do understand your problem re DIY (I should have said DIY if practical).

However, I still maintain that the dealer has absolutely no reason to claim a possible legal problem in using a recognized brand of motor oil in your car. The same holds true for using other than OEM oil filters.

Mazda is not going to void your warranty if you DIY and use non-Mazda oil or non-Mazda filters. In fact, it would be illegal of them to do so.

I do believe that Mazda would prefer that the dealer sell you all the mazda stuff he can. Ha!

Best wishes.
  • frankpcbfrankpcb Member Posts: 27
    Their is a technical service bullentin, service bullentin number 0900901 regarding wind noise from windshield molding on the 2002 protege. I sent an email to mazdausa for the details on this TSB and the fix they recommend, just in case I have a problem with it, have not noticed the wind noise problem so far.

Will also post this message in the maintenance and problems site.

Frank
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    It was great hanging with you guys last night...hope the rest of your weekend goes well, and that my driving wasn't too scary for ya. :)

BTW, hit 12,000 after dropping you off!

--Dale
    That's a load of crap. Mazda doesn't make oil...Some company does it for them and they just stick a label on it. In the manual it states that you just have to use oil that meets SAE standards. No way on earth that you have to you some special Mazda oil...there's nothing that can really be different about it.

When I first got my car, I asked my dealer about synthetic. She said that they don't have any in-house, but if I brought my car in for an oil change, I would just have to bring my own oil and they would put it in for me.

But now I just goto the Midas where my Uncle works and get oil changes done there. No way am I paying the dealer $40 for an oil change!