Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Company that I can recall that recently screwed up on the actual HP measurements is MAZDA with the Miata. Good thing they fessed up to that so quickly.
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    I look at it this way - 3085 lb curb weight, 5-speed manual, 227 hp, 217 lb-ft torque, and 0-60 in around 5.7 seconds: sounds like it's rated OK to me. It's all in the end result as far as I'm concerned.
    Well, I had money in mind. If we want to give some title like King of Queen of the board, or Geek of the Week, or something like that, that's fine.

Mis-rated power - How about the (1999?) SVT Mustang Cobra. Good case in point - it wasn't just that the dynoed power was not what it should have been, it was more importantly that folks taking this thing down the drag strip weren't getting et's and top speeds much better than the plain old GTs.
  • sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    High 7's is my guess.

Jerry, you had some good points with regards to the MS3. I still think the limited edition stuff is crap, and being offered in only two colors. They should release it as their "SVT" alternative, and make it a regular production, not limited. Well, not as limited as they are. Either way, it will generate publicity, and more importanly will actually be available to all (and in colors you'd want to be seen in) as opposed to the select few who are actually willing to fork over MSRP+ for the car. Isn't that the whole point here, to sell cars? To expand Mazda's customer base. They should be making and selling cars that not only interest everybody, but are priced so that everyone is willing to buy them. Not just Mazda diehards. Just my thoughts.

Steve
    I think the main point is not to sell these 1500 cars, but to generate buzz about MazdaSpeed street car parts. They want to sell tuner parts, and regular production series cars, to the compact tuner crowd. I'm guessing that the idea is that these folks will go out and buy Mazda Proteges knowing that there will be support from the factory for bolt-on upgrades, and will buy MazdaSpeed parts to upgrade their cars on a pay-check to pay-check basis. Maybe they won't buy everything that's on the MS3, but they just might pick up the Pro if they know they can find suspension kits, body kits, etc. for the car.

That, and they've got to back up this Zoom-Zoom image or that kid will be out of a job.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I believe there are two points for the Mazdaspeed Protege:

1. Image

Every manufacturer needs an image car. Dodge has the Viper. Acura has the NSX. Chevrolet has the Corvette. The Mazdaspeed Protege will serve as the image car for a brief few months before the RX-8 hits the market. Another part of the image car is the Zoom Zoom campaign. The MP3 is a terrific handler, but when most people think of Zoom Zoom, they think power and speed. The aftermarket tuners have not been very kind to the Protege, even though it is starting to become the next Civic for modifications. Having the Mazdaspeed Protege will boost the aftermarket by building more demand for Protege performance accessories. And, as dsm6 pointed out, it is a great launching point for Mazdaspeed accessories and apparel.

2. Racing

Even though Mazda keeps insisting they are not getting back into racing, you have to wonder about a few things... the rotary engine is coming back, and just not in a single model... Mazda's sponsorship of Laguna Seca, North America's premier raceway... renewed interest in the 24 Hours at Le Mans... a big push in parts at Mazda Motorsports... and 1,500 units, I believe, is the minimum number of vehicles produced required to race it as a production vehicle... interesting...
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    That is interesting. With the turbo, they will have a much easier time getting more hp for racing. I remember watching Proteges race on speedvision and they did alright. I can't imagine what they'll be like when they are all boosted up. With only 170 hp stock, I would imagine that tweeking the boost a little would get you pretty hefty gains.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Happy Birthday, my friend!

-Larry
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    I have noticed that while driving over hilly terrain, my ES automatic tends to hold the gear, usually 3rd, till it reaches flat roads again.
    What I am trying to say is that my ES does not HUNT for gears, as many others describe in their vehicles.

Question is:
    Is the ES equipped with Slope control?
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    I think the factory pre-loads all Protege's with "Dope Control". I have seen several posts on other boards from dopey people saying bad things about the Mazda Protege. None of these folks currently or ever owned a Mazda Protege. Alas, Dope Control. Chikoo, I'll check my owners manual in the morning, for references to Slope Control.

-Larry
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    I just think our AT proteges have really really smart transmissions :)
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Yes, the Protege ES's automatic transmission does have slope control. I don't think it says anything about it in the owner's manual though. Check the PR package or something like that. :)
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Meade
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Now they can't even SELL 'em right!

http://www.auto.com/industry/ford20_20020620.htm

Meade

• rbrooks3rbrooks3 Member Posts: 174
    You guys are right on about the Speed being for image. It is the best way to advertise their performace parts sales push. Even Mazda's website makes this clear. When you click on the Mazdaspeed info, you get a breakdown on each component and its manufacturer. Notice how Mazda is selling "their" products built by companies with recognizeable names already existing in the performance industry? Nothing is easier than buying reputation by borrowing the name and engineering prowess of a recognized name. Say Ford and people go uh-huh, say Cosworth and people think-oh, they're serious. Same thing with Mercedes and AMG and on and on. Heck, even Lexus is getting in on it at the high end. Manufacturers want a piece of this growing pie. God knows Chevy, Ford and the rest of the American manufactuers have been doing it for years.

Now, would I pay 22k for a Speed? I might, but we know you won't be able to get it for that anyway. When the WRX came out you couldn't find one (around here anyway) that wasn't loaded with every dealer tack on available. It was one of the reasons I didn't get one. Now it's easier, but they were not there when I needed a new car.

The LSD should be great. My Pro is the first front driver I've had in almost 10 years and while the car handles well, you can't get any power down coming out of hard right handers. The tire just breaks loose. It's a small segment Mazda is aiming at with perf parts anyway. Look at us, see how many posts said great the parts are available but "I'm not spending 4,000 for the turbo kit." The fact that the parts are available is enough for me. It just shows Mazda's continued market plan of offering the best overall performance from their cars from our commuter Pros to the RX8. While I might not buy a Mazda6 or afford an RX8, it's nice that see Mazda being consistent in their approach. Keep up the good work Mazda.
    conjures up the image of a corvette.....which incidentally uses the Callaway Turbo unit.
    The turbo in the MS3 is a Garrett unit. Callaway doesn't make turbos.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    What is wrong with garret?

Many Volvo lovers drool when the name is spoken.
    Nothing wrong with garret. Especially if you are trying to appeal to the tuner crowd - garret makes aftermarket turbos for quite a few applications.
    who fine tuned the Protege as a Mazdaspeed. Right?

and the same callway fine tunes Corvettes.
  • protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    and another year wiser. I actually hit 39 yesterday. Best gifts were the dart board and the U2 Elevation DVD. Asked my wife to cook some Texas chicken fried steak as I am sick of going out to eat lately. Life was good. Today it is back to reality.

Paul, my Millenia has a persistant rattle in the roof somewhere. We have been trying to get this fixed for months and seemed like we had, until recently anyways. Of course when I take the technician around, no rattle. Another example of Murphy's law. Hopefully we can take it by again soon when it is acting up and see if they can track it down.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    It's true that the Mazdaspeed uses a Garret ball-bearing turbo. However, Callaway is the company that put together and tuned the package.

As far as I am concerned (and anyone who follows the auto industry as insanely as I do), the most exciting name to be thrown around in this package is not Callaway, not Garret, not Tokico, not Racing Beat... it is Mazdaspeed! Mazdaspeed has been around since 1967 as the premier tuner of Mazda vehicles and was used by Mazda to enhance their very successful racing programs. A couple of years back, Mazdaspeed was absorbed into Mazda. What was Mazdaspeed's biggest accomplishment? The Le Mans winning 787B in 1991.

Check out this link for a brief history of Mazdaspeed. It's in PDF, so you need Adobe's free Acrobat Reader software to read it (most computers have it).

https://www.racingbeat.com/pdf/history.pdf

I never said anything is wrong with Garrett. Almost all manufacturers don't make their own turbos. Mitsubishi is the only one I can think of that makes their own. From what I can remember, Mazda has always used IHI turbos.
    is pretty much a project of Mazda North Amerircan Ops and not Mazda Corporation Japan. That's why Callaway/Racing Beat are so heavily involved. While everything needs to be approved by Mazda Corp, engineering and supplier arrangement is done over here.
    That brings up a question. Are MS3s built in Japan as regular Proteges, shipped here, then modified by Racing Beat/Callaway?
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    I wish they would get back into racing. I would love to see a rotary kick butter.
    butt kicker
    Wrong with kicking butter? LMAO!!!! :D
    Who knows where the MS3's final assembly will be?
    Bueller? Bueller?
    Well...where was the MP3 done?
    Yeah, FINAL assembly. Are MS3s produced "as is" in Hiroshima, or are the turbos, etc. installed here in the states at Callaway?
    My other question: Where was all the MP3 stuff installed at (ie. Racing Beat stuff, suspension, etc.)?
    Is pretty much done but gets a few mods here. The MP3 had the exhaust, audio and appearance stuff added here.
    "the car...Is pretty much done but gets a few mods here. The MP3 had the exhaust, audio and appearance stuff added here.

Ok...but does that mean the place of FINAL assembly was Japan or USA? To me, I would still say Japan, but is that right?

Also, does that mean that the MP3 has LESS Japanese content than the P5/Sedan?
    The car is completed in Japan, so yes.

The mods are most likely not Japanese so the content %ages are slightly different than the ES.
    Are the turbos going to be installed here also? At Callaway? The turbo, beefier clutch and stronger half-shafts are quite a bit more involved than the exhaust, audio, and appearance stuff. Basically, what I am asking is whether or not the mechanical stuff is installed at the factory, or here?
    is that the turbo happens here while the drivetrain stuff happens over there. Not sure though.
  • hjnhjn Member Posts: 1
    I believe the 2002 Protege ES is the Mazda for me but am uncertain about the choice of automatic transmission. Is there a major difference in performance and reliability between the standard and sport automatic. Sorry if foolish question but I don't feel that I have yet received a good explanation.
    Read this reveiew:

http://www.protegetech.com/Ed_Review/2002midyear.html

He talks about the "sport-matic" tranny. Hope that helps.

• rbrooks3rbrooks3 Member Posts: 174
    I don't think there is any physical difference in the mechanical contents of either tranny. Even Mazda's website does not differentiate between the two for gearing figures. The sport is the way to go. One, you get all the 1/2 year updates with the car and you also get the addition of leaving it in "D" or clicking away yourself! The best of both worlds! I have a 5 spd ES and in its price range its the best. Let us know when you start zooming!
    If there's no real difference, then get the sport shift. That way, it will act like a regular auto unless you do want to "shift" yourself. Just my $.02
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    you have a choice unless you find one built before or after Feb/March 2002. Built through Feb it has the standard auto. March and later is sport shift. In 2003 all autos(LX,DX) will be sport shift as Rich said.
    I think the issue was probably between choosing an '02 pre-refresh or an '02 refresh.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    totally non Protege related, but figure someone might be interested...

#872 of 877 Colors... by ickes_mobile Jun 20, 2002 (08:51 pm)
    The MAZDA6 will be available in 10 colors: Grace Green, Deep Blue, Gun Metallic, Sparkling Silver, Dark Red Metallic, Black, Star Shine, Snow Flake Pearl, Classic Red, and Sunny Yellow.

Source: Mazda USA website...
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    but it isn't a Protege. I picked up my '02 Honda Accord on Tuesday and I'm loving it. It doesn't handle nearly as well as the Pro but it does ride better and is very comfortable. I'll continue to "lurk" around this topic but I'll mainly stick around the Accord topics.

Later!

Tom
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Did you trade your Protege for your Accord, or what? Just wondering.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    ...even if it isn't a Protege :P

:):)
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820