Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    About $78 apiece from TireRack, then $20 shipping for all four, and then $15 apiece for mounting and balancing etc. at my installer. $392 total.

No comment about that rubber comment ... oops, I guess that was a comment.

;-)

Meade

P.S. Dale: BEND me? BORE me? BEER me? I give up ...
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Uh oh...1 car garage and 2 nice cars....quite the conundrum!

Honestly, I'd say garage the WRX. It can be the garage queen...the Pro is a work horse :D

If I do build a garage it'll be something like 22x24 feet...should be big enough for 2 cars, that way there'll be no fights!!
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    You got an excellent price through tirerack. However, $392.00 in greenbacks is like a bizillion loonies here in Canada. That's like, a lot of beer, eh.
    Yup, the Rex gets the garage and kid glove treatment. The Pro is pampered too, but will have to sleep outdoors most nights. She's been such a great, reliable car. I truly do love the Pro. My wife and I haven't yet decided whether we will trade the Pro in at 5 or 6 years, or just keep it and drive it till it won't go anymore. It's up to her really.......either way, I'd hate to see her go. The Pro that is....not my wife. Hmmm, that came out wrong too. :)
    What air pressure do you find to be the best setting for the Dunlop tires? I found 32psi was too little so i've been playinmg between 35 and 38.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    (please forgive me for interrupting)

Dale? What exactly are the requirements there in Ill-ah-noy to get a driver's license? People there do not have to have just a *wee* bit of common sense?

:-D
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Well, Pat, explain please.

Are you talking about my heading straight into the street cleaners at 40 mph?

Or congratulating myself on going through the carwash with the windows up?

Or 'fixing' my dome light?

Or all of the above???

Let's see...I had to pass a written test (missed the question about the child's car seat), a vision test ("Ma'am? I don't think this thing is working right...all I see are flashing lights!"),
    and the road test ("Um, you know, I could have failed you for that rolling stop back there...").

What's your point?

:-P

--Dale
    Um, yes! (and the car wash with the windows down was at least twice, wasn't it?)
    ...it was ONLY twice!

And I'm very proud of that "only."

:)

--Dale
    hahahaha

You know we're always proud of Dale no matter what she manages to do :D
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    We either need to take this off-line or at least over to the Posse.

sorry pat...I had to. :-D
    I think YOU need to head over to the posse and sit in the corner by yourself Mr. Wannabe Moderator :P

Umm...My Pro needs to be cleaned...is that enough "Sedans" talk to stay on topic...probably not.
    LOL!! Well, maltb, the way I understand you folks' rules is that since Dale does all of these, um, things in her Protege, these messages are on topic??
    I'll spare you the TOU e-mail this time. You are lucky I'm not Steve or I'd delete the post and copy Sylvia.
    ...are too much.
    Dale, if you wish to continue this you will have to e-mail me. This is not the place to discuss this.

Back to Proteges everyone.

Ok Pat, I'll give the scepter back in a few seconds.
    I don't suppose I could suggest that you bite me, could I??? No of course not, that would be terribly unhostly of me.

:-D
    You forever rule in my book as host of the year.
    Dale - take note to the fact that she is brave enough to not mask it with asterisks.
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    What size are your original tires?
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    OEM size is 195/50R16 83V. I cannot feasibly go wider than 195 because the stock rims are only 6" wide.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Shame on you! :) Bad, bad host! :)
    "Things we've done in our Proteges" is now acceptably on-topic?

Hmmmm ... let me get my thoughts together.

Meade

P.S. HI PAT! How's every little thing?
    She inflates our male ego and makes the dumb things we do pale in comparison.
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    yes we do. We like Dale, how 'bout you!

On the next Fear Factor, contestants have to ride shotgun with Dale through her favorite turn! What might be around that corner? A Street Sweeper, a car wash sprayer, a giant Hello Kitty stuffed animal? Watch and see who has the guts to take this ride!
    And a very bright and cheery good morning to the two of you, as well.

Protege-related:

Third Chicago-area meet this Sunday, July 21st. Meeting at the Starbucks in the Streets of Woodfield between 11:00 a.m. and noon before heading over to picnic grounds in Busse Woods.

For more details, please e-mail me.

--Dale
    No witty retort? Man, what's a guy to do?

Have fun with your groupies on Sunday!
    I did ride through Dale with that turn she is talking about. So what do I win? :)

It was actually a pretty fun ride too, but there weren't any street sweepers or anything involved, only the Hello Kitty rearview mirror in our faces. :)
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    What????
    When I went to Chicago, Dale gave my friend and I a "driving tour" of the city, we went to dinner, and took a tour of the Sears tower. We hung out two different times when we were there. So that's how I went through "the turn" with her. :)
    Don't you guys have car wax or tire comparisons or stereos to talk about?

It doesn't always have to be about Dale.

• mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    But I do like my Dunlop SP Sport A2s very much, thank you.

Only cost $55 each from Tire Rack for my size too (I decided to stay with the smaller 185/65R14 size). Will have to go back to them too because the local retailers don't seem to carry that particular size. Oh well, they still have the best price, even figuring in shipping and mounting etc.

And I've had mine since last November. Very nice performance all-seasons. About 16,000 miles on them so far. I expect to get 40,000 miles easily before I consider replacing them (and no, I don't wait for them to become slicks first).
    Make that THREE happy SP Sport A2 owners!!!

Ha ha Larry, you lose!!!

Meade
  • zueslewiszueslewis Member Posts: 2,353
    My home PC is down and I can longer use yahoo or AOL at work. Call when you get a chance.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    on a technicality, you just made even.
    BFG owners:
    Chikoo
    Larry
    Larry's wife

ha ha gotyou ;)

btw, I recommended the A2 for my friend's 300M.
    Just got it in today.
    looks great. lets see what his review his.
    They look real sticky to me.
  • rbrooks3rbrooks3 Member Posts: 174
    Has anyone heard of rebates on the Pro in addition to not instead of the 0% financing deal?
  • noeleonnoeleon Member Posts: 9
    Looking for the best deal on 2002 ES in Sacramento,CA area, please help.
  • tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    According to tirerack spec charts, 205/50-16 tires will work on 5.5" rims, so they should be fine on 6" rims. That size offers many more model choices. The Bridgestone 730gen2 looks like a good performer with a high mileage rating. My guess is that they would hold up to hard driving better than the dunlop5000 which has a sticky, but soft compound.
    Make that THREE happy SP Sport A2 owners!!!
    Ha ha Larry, you lose!!!
    -Meadeball

BFG owners: Chikoo, Larry, and Larry's wife ha ha got you...
    -Chikoo

BTW, there both good tires.
    Ronald and Noeleon in my area (Lancaster, PA) the local Mazda Dealer is offering $1,500 rebate OR 0% APR for 60 months on the 02 Mazda Protege and $750 rebate OR 0% APR for 48 months on the 02 Mazda Protege 5. Great deals, methinks!

-lovetrain
  • kaiserheadkaiserhead Member Posts: 166
    Posting seems to have slowed down in the last few weeks...
    Chikoo himself turned the tables my way:

"btw, I recommended the A2 for my friend's 300M.
    Just got it in today.
    looks great. lets see what his review is."

So that's:

Dunlops: Meade, Tim, Chow-Chi, and NOW Chikoo's friend.

BFG's: Larry, Trudy and Nick.

Me 4, you 3. Ha ha.

Meade
    Nick, Trudy, you and I all own the finest example of the Protege, that Mazda ever produced. The Emerald Mica 2000 PRO-ES. With-in that elite group, the owners here at TH have chosen the excellent BF Goodrich T/A's 3 to 1! Meade, the fact that you mention an owner of a Chrysler 300m barge-mobile purchased Dunlope A2's is laughable and speaks volumes on your tire acumen. ;-))))

-lovetrain
    [...desparately trying to think of something dumb I may have done in my car over the weekend that I can talk about here, thus distracting Meade and Larry from their little flame war...]
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    tire acumen? Lol. When I get my tires they will be better than Meade and Larry's. 205/45/16 Yokohama Paradas all the way!!
    I'm enjoying the little flame war. It will help me promote the pay-per-view gravey wrestling match.

And don't lie, we all know you did something dumb in or to your car this weekend!

Did you ever get a wax job?
    Hey, I can't be dumb all the time...it's hard work, believe me.

And no, still no wax on the car...I know, shame on me. :(
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    figure I should pop in since I haven't posted here in god knows how long :)

Over the weekend I went to the DC Grand Prix held at RFK stadium. Great fun, great races, awesome cars, perfect setting for a motorhead :D

But what REALLY made my weekend was being able to get up close and personal with the crews and drivers of the racing Proteges that run in the Speed World Challenge Touring Car series. They were really helpful in answering any questions about what they did to their Proteges to make it go faster. And the cars are all right in front of their trailers open for inspection under the hood and under the car. It is simply amazing that someone can take a street sedan like a Protege and turn it into a full blown racecar.

I'll have some pictures up once I have them delevoped, so stay tuned...